Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Just got back. It was good, really good (though it could never live up to the hype), but there were moments that drug a bit. And there were bits with the supporting characters that felt like a lot was cut, especially with W'Kabi. There's one scene with him that felt tacked on a bit. 

I loved everything with T' Challa and Erik. Great chemistry together. 

Visually it was stunning. And I want to be Okoye with that red dress. Seriously. 

• Love 4

Women of Wakanda: Powerful heroines shine in 'Black Panther'

While the Black Panther is undoubtedly the hero of the film, he is not alone. He is flanked by an impressive group of women who not only support his mission but are also integral to its success. His mother, Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), provides indispensable counsel to her son as he grapples with his new responsibility to lead. His former lover, Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o), is a spy who must balance her love for her country with her duty to help the vulnerable. T'Challa's little sister, Shuri (Letitia Wright), is the brilliant mind behind many of Wakanda's groundbreaking inventions. And Okoye (Danai Gurira) is not only the leader of the Dora Milaje, the king's all-woman personal protective force, she's also the general of the nation's army and T'Challa's leading intelligence officer. In Wakanda, there are no meek and silent women waiting to be saved. Instead, they are equal partners in the nation and the fight to protect it.

"That was a source of great pride. It made me just peacock proud and puff my chest up because it was so phenomenal to see," Bassett tells espnW. "Whether it's the General or Shuri or the Dora Milaje, it was a wonder."

"Black Panther" boasts a multitude of formidable black women, which isn't the norm, particularly for superhero films.

"When [Coogler] walked me through the story, I just thought, 'Wow, I can't believe this is a Marvel movie,' because it seems quite bold in terms of the themes -- and the storyline," Nyong'o told the New York Daily News. "I liked the way he was planning to portray the women -- that Wakanda was going to be populated with many influential women -- and Nakia was one of them."

Gurira, who stars in AMC's "The Walking Dead," echoes her co-star's thoughts.

"It's deeply refreshing. I'm around very interesting, powerful women all the time, but I don't see it on screen much," she says. "I'm surrounded by women who are doing amazing things, who strive with great purpose toward their goals, have agency and powerful work ethics. They never wait around to be saved by anyone else. I'm really excited to see those depictions coming to the screen."

Edited by Dee
  • Love 11

There were a lot of themes I'm still unpacking, but I really enjoyed it. I cried over Killmonger, and I didn't even like him. Yet, I couldn't say he was wrong in his basic ideology even if his methods were terrible. M'Baku became a total fave of mine, but my heart belongs to Shuri. I'mma need her and Tony in a scene together stat just to watch her school him. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 20

I saw it last night and I thought it was really good.  Fantastic cast and world-building, with Michael B. Jordan being a standout as Killmonger.  Marvel has been in on a roll with their villains since last year and Jordan probably gives one of the best performances in general in the Marvel movies. 

The movie does drag at times and they way it starts is a little jarring (you'll know what I mean when you see it).  But Marvel has another winner here.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

That was superhero storytelling at it's best.  There were some very deep, emotional themes woven into a fun, kickass and stunning beautiful package.  That waterfall scene gave me chills.  But I strongly suspect that anyone who doesn't actively identify with a marginalized group will need to purposefully access their capacity for empathy to be able to recognize many of those themes.  And as much as I was already prepared to adore Shuri from what I had seen of her (even before I knew about her connection to Bucky) and I absolutely did, Nakia is the one that blew me away the most and was the biggest surprise.   And watching T'Challa grow and learn throughout the movie with that payoff was extraordinary.  

• Love 20

This movie made me SO happy. And I never say that about movies. But just everything about it gave me joy. The story, the costumes, the cinematography, the directing, the music. And I love love LOVED the performances. Everyone was great, but I thought Michael B. Jordan was the standout. He gave Killmonger so much angst, I couldn't bring myself to hate him. Almost 24 hours after seeing it, I am still on a high, and trying to figure out when I can go see it again. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 22

Saw it today. Loved it. Okay, I tend to go towards the Christopher Priest run, so the different directions for Zuri, Nakia and Okoye were a tiny bit jarring, but who cares? Another MCU masterpiece going into Infinity War, starring a character that has always been cool. And now the rest of the world can know about King T'Challa, King of Wakanda.

Speaking of MCU streaks, I think they're on a roll in terms of story villains. Ego, Vulture (who would thunk that?!?), Hela, and now Erik Killmonger. Okay, we had Ulyseuss Klaw Klaue, who was the first bad guy readers saw Panther face back in the day, but Erik was more compelling, even without a nifty sonic cannon disguised as an arm. Shit, Bucky didn't have that! Seriously, though, I liked the drive.

What else . . . still lamenting Ross not being King of the Useless White Boys like in Priest's run. I kinda think he's being set up to be the new Coulson. I like M'Baku appearing, stripped of an outfit that might cause viewers to cringe. I think Shuri was a creation of Reginald Hudlin. So nice that the Panther has a happy tech geek as his sister.

I probably have more to say, but I'll stop now. I did like a joke I read . . . Anthony Serkis and Martin Freeman are the only major white actors in the film. They play Tolkien characters. Shut up, that's funny.

@doram . . . dunno if the floodgates are officially over, so I'll hide the spoilers.

Spoiler

Among the major players: Klaue, Erik, Zuri. Also, Erik's father back in the 1992 Oakland flashback.

ETA: BUCKY! Forgot about him! Awesome that he's actually living his life, as opposed to being on ice. Also,it's funny that T'Challa was preserved in ice after repeatedly telling people that he never freezes.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8

Well, that was all kinds of wow.

The cast was amazing across the board.  Jordan had the flashier role, but Boseman held the center of the movie.  The ancestral conversation in the latter part of the movie was the core element, and he sold it.  Still, there was plenty of awesome to go around.  ("Bury me in the ocean" is going to stick with me.)

And then, of course, everything just looks so damn good.

• Love 15

Unpopular opinion: I thought it was okay, entertaining but way overhyped.

I enjoyed the performances, cinematography and actions scenes, but parts of the movie dragged and the blatant agenda pushing got tedious after a while. *ducks and runs for cover*

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

‘Black Panther’ Could Make as Much as $200 Million in Massive U.S. Debut

Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther” is poised to shatter box office records for February, with updated forecasts from Disney in the $172 million-$198 million range in North America during the four-day Presidents Day weekend.

That’s significantly above the first tracking on Jan. 25 for the tentpole, which initially placed the debut in the $100 million-$120 million range for the Feb. 16-19 period. The projections are higher even than tracking estimates earlier this week showing the film would make as much as $170 million.

“Black Panther” should easily break the Presidents Day weekend record of $152 million, set in 2016 by “Deadpool.” The second-highest debut for the four-day holiday was for “Fifty Shades of Grey,” which opened in 2015 to $93 million.

The latest Marvel entry dominated in Thursday preview showings, earning a muscular $25.2 million. The Thursday opening numbers represent a new high-water mark for the month of February. They are roughly double the previous record of $12.7 million, which was set by “Deadpool.” It also ranks as the second-biggest preview gross for a Marvel title, behind only “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” which scored $27.6 million from its previews.

The film is also shattering long-held views that films rooted in black culture don’t sell well overseas. “Black Panther” blasted off to $23.2 million overseas after opening in 17 locations, including the United Kingdom, South Korea, and France. “Black Panther,” which carries a $200 million budget, debuted to $7.2 million in the U.K., $4.7 million in South Korea, $2 million in Taiwan, $1.6 million in France, and $1.1 million in Hong Kong.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 7

Holy crap, I want to live in Wakanda now. T'Challa is ten times the ruler than a certain someone will ever be. His speech at the first post credits scene was epic.

Loved all the ladies, but Shuri was my favorite. And M'Baku punking Ross was freaking hilarious.

But please tell me I'm not the only one wondering how that guy could talk or eat with that huge disc in his mouth?

• Love 12

MBJ is rightfully receiving a ton of kudos for his amazing star turn as Killmonger, but Chadwick definitely more than holds his own.

This isn't a Hemsworth/Hiddleston deal, where the lead has to grow into genuine star while the villain largely spins his wheels, waiting for the franchise headliner to catch up.

This was two phenomenally talented actors, in the prime of their respective careers, creating absolute magic together.

• Love 20

Omg I loved it. I loved the natural hair, I loved the ladies dressed in gorgeous clothes, I loved the regalness of Angela Bassett, I loved the bodies of Chadwick and MBJ, I loved that it was sophisticated, intelligent and distinctly BLACK. 

I could tell this was a Disney film, I was getting all the Animal Kingdom Lodge vibes (I stayed there during my last Disney trip in Dec). I want T’Challa to propose and to show a huge wedding. There I said it. 

50 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Oh, I know. That line - and Michael B. Jordan's delivery - was heartbreaking.

And @ChelseaNH that line won’t leave me. 

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Omg I loved it. I loved the natural hair, I loved the ladies dressed in gorgeous clothes, I loved the regalness of Angela Bassett, I loved the bodies of Chadwick and MBJ, I loved that it was sophisticated, intelligent and distinctly BLACK. 

I could tell this was a Disney film, I was getting all the Animal Kingdom Lodge vibes (I stayed there during my last Disney trip in Dec). I want T’Challa to propose and to show a huge wedding. There I said it.  @ChelseaNH

HELL YES I wanted that too! Maybe in the sequel?

• Love 6

I am back. I loved it! I was prepared to be let down, but enjoyed the hell out of it. I have never been a Chadwick Boseman fan, but he totally won me over as the conflicted T'Challa. I was so glad that he decided to take Wakanda into the world. Killmonger was an outstanding villain. He was wrong, but it was impossible to hate him. I understood why he chose death over being locked up at the end.

Loved the women. Danai was soo good as Okoye. The theater busted out laughing when she used her wig as a weapon. Damn, she was fierce. Her romance with W'kabi was weak and he was annoying. Lupita's Nakia was also fierce. Letitia's Shuri was a fun character. 

I loved M'Baku. "If you speak again, I will feed you to our children. I am just kidding. We are vegetarians." Bwah! I cheered when he and his men AND women came to T'Calla's rescue. 

The cinematography, CGI, costumes, and hair rocked. It was great to see Sterling K Brown. Both Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman were funny in their supporting roles.

I agree the movie had some problems, it was a little slow at the beginning, but the set up was necessary. Angela Bassett and Forrest Whitaker didn't have much to do, but this wasn't their movie.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

All the hype was fully justified - an excellent film from start to finish; the performances especially were very engrossing and entertaining. If there was one little criticism it could be the editing- the story dragged a little which added very little to the overall.

That said, I feel compelled to watch it again at the cinema - which is something I rarely do these days. 

4/5

• Love 10

I agree that MBJ was fantastic, especially in those last moments. But while I did feel empathy for what happened to him as a child, I had no trouble hating him. I mean, this guy was proudly declaring he was going to murder children just for whatever their parents did. Not to mention killing all those other people, including his girlfriend/cohort. Like Loki, he played the victim to justify being an asshole. Okoye and T'Challa were right: he was no different than the people he hated, and someone with that much hate inside doesn't deserve to be a leader. 

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

• Love 22
40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okoye and T'Challa were right: he was no different than the people he hated

Yes, that's what I saw too and it was so understandable given what happened to him.  But I love how they showed how much T'Challa has grown through his experiences, and he has a wonderful wisdom to him that we saw exhibited in Civil War... and here we see him really internalize and incorporate what he learned about vengeance from watching what Zemo did, and reject his own father's choices.   T'Challa's goal was to work to help the world be better, Killmonger wanted to flip who the oppressor was, and take over control for his own revenge.  

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree that MBJ was fantastic, especially in those last moments. But while I did feel empathy for what happened to him as a child, I had no trouble hating him. I mean, this guy was proudly declaring he was going to murder children just for whatever their parents did. Not to mention killing all those other people, including his girlfriend/cohort. Like Loki, he played the victim to justify being an asshole. Okoye and T'Challa were right: he was no different than the people he hated, and someone with that much hate inside doesn't deserve to be a leader. 

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

I think that’s what makes a good villain, you hate him cause he’s evil, but he’s complex enough to still be human. That’s what makes his choices a tragedy- had he made different choices and tried to find his Wakandian family out of a desire for community (not power) he would’ve been a great asset to T’Challa. In the ancestral plane T’Challa’s Dad has to exist with the guilt that his choices contributed to that. 

Many idea what happened to Killmonger’s Mom? Did she pass away before the start of the story?

• Love 14

That was pretty incredible. The sets were amazing. The fact that the women weren’t just strong but also lead the way in technology. The amazing car chase scene. The complex villain. It was breathtaking.

13 minutes ago, deaja said:

That was pretty incredible. The sets were amazing. The fact that the women weren’t just strong but also lead the way in technology. The amazing car chase scene. The complex villain. It was breathtaking.

Same here - and I became emotionally pumped when the lead ladies dominated scenes. In fact I noticed a lot of the women in the cinema we were in were clapping and cheering  while some of the men there were generally quite quiet. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Zola said:

Same here - and I became emotionally pumped when the lead ladies dominated scenes. In fact I noticed a lot of the women in the cinema we were in were clapping and cheering  while some of the men there were generally quite quiet. 

I LOVED that Shuri as the second child (and less likely to inherit) was the tech genius. Cannon says she was supposed to be 16? I don’t buy that- I know Chadwick is playing younger than his actual age and you can most certainly tell she is his “little sister” but I was thinking 21-22.....also your little sister is your little sister no matter how old you both get so their playful dynamic wouldn’t make her a teenager. 

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I LOVED that Shuri as the second child (and less likely to inherit) was the tech genius. Cannon says she was supposed to be 16? I don’t buy that- I know Chadwick is playing younger than his actual age and you can most certainly tell she is his “little sister” but I was thinking 21-22.....also your little sister is your little sister no matter how old you both get so their playful dynamic wouldn’t make her a teenager. 

In the first challenge scene, I thought the man who challenged him said something about a “teenager in charge of technology?”

41 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

but I was thinking 21-22

The promo material for the movie had her at 15, I believe, and they showed her as Peter's peer.  

1 hour ago, deaja said:

The fact that the women weren’t just strong but also lead the way in technology

Yes, loved that so, so much!!  And really, there were no 'damsels' in this at all, including the men (not even Ross was depicted as a damsel).  Loved how Coogler was able to balance between the whole cast and incorporate them all meaningfully into the narrative.  So, so good!

• Love 13

At this point I really do think people need to stop hyping up movies so much in their own head. Or going into a movie with the thought that for a movie to be great it needs to be a game changer or overshadow a property you've already loved for years. I just judge movies on their own terms.

No the movie isn't perfect. No movies is. It has flaws. Pacing a little off in some places and the action/CGI could have used some more work. But, any nitpicks are absolutely overshadowed by so many wonderful things.

This is how I want to see women on screen. Strong, fierce, intelligent women. No need to condem men in order to prop up women. No preaching about the struggle of women hood. Just let them be. Let them be awesome characters. The movie is filled with women that have their own thoughts, ideals, motivations and relationships. And it just feels natural.

Shuri and Tony Stark working together need to happen. Her and Duke were the complete standouts.

It was a blockbuster with something to say. I'm already kind of tired of people saying that the movie was sledgehammer like in delivering it's message. At this point, it feels like any movie with a message period is accused of this. There was no way they could do a movie about a advanced society of black people not helping their people around the world and not hit that story head on. 

Black panther may be the least interesting principle character in the movie but this movie is about establishing this world and it's ideals. 

Eric was the best kind of villain. One who speaks truth. It doesn't mean that they aren't ultimately wrong. It just means that their points have merit. The bad guy should always believe he is right. It's even better if he leaves you questioing yourself. Both characters and the audience.

I loved the world. The colors. The cinematography. It has humor but it was always character and moment appropriate.

I never went into the movie thinking it would be this amazing movie. I don't do that. But, I went in thinking I would feel proud and happy when I left the theater and I was. For that, I am thankful.

• Love 16
17 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

It was a blockbuster with something to say. I'm already kind of tired of people saying that the movie was sledgehammer like in delivering it's message. At this point, it feels like any movie with a message period is accused of this. There was no way they could do a movie about a advanced society of black people not helping their people around the world and not hit that story head on. 

Thank you. I feel the same way. 

18 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Shuri and Tony Stark working together need to happen. Her and Duke were the complete standouts.

Exactly what I was thinking throughout the movie.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Unpopular opinion: I thought it was okay, entertaining but way overhyped.

I enjoyed the performances, cinematography and actions scenes, but parts of the movie dragged and the blatant agenda pushing got tedious after a while. *ducks and runs for cover*

Why? You are entitled to your opinion.  I loved the movie, but I was not as impressed as everyone else with Michael B. Jordan...I also did not think T'Challa and Nakia had any chemistry.....and I am not "ducking and running."  Everyone gets something different out of everything....and we are all free to have our own opinion.   Like me, the main "agenda" that I thought was pushed was that we all need to help each other succeed and be "for" each other and not against one another....that it is our duty to help our fellow man. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, deaja said:

In the first challenge scene, I thought the man who challenged him said something about a “teenager in charge of technology?”

I remember that. Maybe I’m just aging the character because I know the actress isn’t a teen. 

24 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

This is how I want to see women on screen. Strong, fierce, intelligent women. No need to condem men in order to prop up women. No preaching about the struggle of women hood. Just let them be. Let them be awesome characters. The movie is filled with women that have their own thoughts, ideals, motivations and relationships. And it just feels natural.

So much this.

5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I so agree.  I adored Shuri - brilliant, enthusiastic, having fun with her work.  I really enjoyed her and T'Challa's relationship "what are those?? bare toes in my lab?" got huge laughs in the theater, as well as her playing around with him with the suit.   She was great at the end, fighting in the battle and still guiding Ross in the virtual pilot's seat.  I also really liked her "driving" the car earlier in the film.  These were the best uses of CGI I thought.

I would watch a film about Nakia's spy adventures.  Her back and forth with Okoye after Killmonger was named king was a brief but effective showcase for both characters - both intense and standing fast in their positions.  Both actresses were standouts and the eye gravitates to them whenever they're in a scene.

Andy Serkis was having fun and then boom! dead but we did need to make room for the main villain.  I though Michael B Jordan was very good; dangerous even when just walking but I didn't find him a particularly sympathetic adult.  Did I mention MBJ in glasses?? Yow.

Erik was sympathetic as a child, yes, and it's a real bad look that T'Chaka just left him behind.  His explanation to T'Challa was weak (how does abandoning his nephew protect Wakanda?) and I wonder why they didn't just go with he didn't know about him.  I guess because Zuri did?  Still that could have been written around.  I thought that was a weak piece of writing.

I didn't feel either romance - I know T'Challa and Nakia are exes and they're both so pretty but there wasn't a real spark IMO.  To be fair there wasn't much room to develop it and his antelope-in-the-headlights when he first sees her was cute.  Okoye and W'Kabi saying "my love" to each other seemed to come from nowhere so didn't work at all for me.  I guess there's a lot that was left out.  Still these are minor points since neither relationship was emphasized.

Chadwick Boseman is great casting - regal, conflicted, strong but with a sense of humor.  Who else to be his mother but Angela Bassett?  She was underused and I think a scene with her and T'Challa, talking about T'Chaka and Erik, would have been good to have.

I didn't like the end fight at the train - didn't like the look of the CGI.  Compare that with auto chase, which had a lot of CGI but flowed a lot smoother I thought.  I also thought the green screens were kind of obvious during the waterfall fight scenes, though the character close ups were great and the hand to hand battles were brutal and effective.  The end battle with the Dora Milaje was a much better use of the CGI - the rhinos and planes, etc.   I also liked the casino fight.

I didn't feel the movie started slow; I was absorbed right away.   There were some bumps but I feel the hype is deserved.  Yes, Erik wants to take the weapons out of Wakanda and fight but the conflict is more than just a generic "want to rule the world" type of thing (yawn) which I appreciate.  It's personal, which gives it more depth. 

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, raven said:

Erik was sympathetic as a child, yes, and it's a real bad look that T'Chaka just left him behind.  His explanation to T'Challa was weak (how does abandoning his nephew protect Wakanda?) and I wonder why they didn't just go with he didn't know about him.  I guess because Zuri did?  Still that could have been written around.  I thought that was a weak piece of writing.

"Oh, hi, I'm your long lost uncle. Your father is dead, but were going to take you to Wakanda. You'll have a better life there, just don't ask questions about how your father died..."

Erik would have figure out the truth eventually, all I'm sayin'...

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

"Oh, hi, I'm your long lost uncle. Your father is dead, but were going to take you to Wakanda. You'll have a better life there, just don't ask questions about how your father died..."

Heh, good point.   T'Chaka didn't even check on him though, or he would have realized Erik knew about Wakanda.  The Wakandans are spies with advanced tech, he could have made it happen. Maybe a bit more background would have been helpful - I guess Erik was raised by his mom (she's never mentioned).  It just doesn't seem very compassionate of T'Chaka.  If he had brought Erik to Wakanda, he could have been the one to explain what happened...doesn't make it better, but better than Erik becoming Killmonger.  But then, no movie villain.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh, hi, I'm your long lost uncle. Your father is dead, but were going to take you to Wakanda. You'll have a better life there, just don't ask questions about how your father died..."

Imagine how much betrayed Erik would have felt if his uncle took him back to Wakanda and raised him and then found out the truth. 

However there was no reason why a trust could not have been put in place to take care of Erik and his mom and monitor what was happening with him. They spies all over the world, but didn't think that they should track a child of royal blood as he entered MIT, joined the Navy Seals and kept wracking up thousands of kills.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, raven said:

Heh, good point.   T'Chaka didn't even check on him though, or he would have realized Erik knew about Wakanda.  The Wakandans are spies with advanced tech, he could have made it happen. Maybe a bit more background would have been helpful - I guess Erik was raised by his mom (she's never mentioned).  It just doesn't seem very compassionate of T'Chaka.  If he had brought Erik to Wakanda, he could have been the one to explain what happened...doesn't make it better, but better than Erik becoming Killmonger.  But then, no movie villain.

What T'Chaka did wrong, but human. Bringing to Erik to Wakanda would mean he would have to admit that he killed his brother and watching the boy would be a constant reminder. It would just be matter of time before Erik went to look for his father and the truth would come out. 

26 minutes ago, nilyank said:

However there was no reason why a trust could not have been put in place to take care of Erik and his mom and monitor what was happening with him. They spies all over the world, but didn't think that they should track a child of royal blood as he entered MIT, joined the Navy Seals and kept wracking up thousands of kills.

But how could T'Chaka explain the financial arrangements to raise a non-Wakandan child or spying on him into adulthood? No matter how loyal his spies, it would only be a matter of time before the gossip start. I still think that T'Chaka was wrong to abandon Erik though.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2018 at 10:25 PM, calliope1975 said:

There were a lot of themes I'm still unpacking, but I really enjoyed it. I cried over Killmonger, and I didn't even like him. Yet, I couldn't say he was wrong in his basic ideology even if his methods were terrible. M'Baku became a total fave of mine, but my heart belongs to Shuri. I'mma need her and Tony in a scene together stat just to watch her school him. 

I was wondering if Shuri and M'Baku would wind up together, but now I'm shipping Shuri and Bucky.  :) I do hope M'Baku doesn't go the villain route that he's done in the comics.

I am completely blown away by this movie. And the badassery of the women.  I want a movie centered around Shuri, Nakia, and Okoye.  And some Okoye back story would be epic.

Killmonger's last words were the best quote in the entire movie.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

And the badassery of the women.

I saw it again today. I kept thinking about all the superhero and action movies I've seen with the one woman, five guys. Over and over and over. It was so nice to see one guy surrounded by such strong, funny, compassionate, and complex women. And they were leads the whole movie! Not one scene and then they fade away into the background like I've seen before. 

BP wasn't perfect. I don't know if I've ever seen CGI characters fighting as they fall ever look remotely realistic. But the things it got right, it nailed. 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, nilyank said:

Imagine how much betrayed Erik would have felt if his uncle took him back to Wakanda and raised him and then found out the truth.

Worked for Odin.

• Love 7

I really enjoyed this.  The world building was well done.  Wakanda felt real.  There was a lot going on and so I think some things ended up being underdeveloped.  Overall I thought it was fantastic. 

T'Challa's journey from isolationist to worldwide humanitarian was great to watch.  The women were all fantastic in this.

I really appreciated that the villain wasn't a cartoon.  He had complexity, and you could even understand why someone might want to follow him.   Killmonger even had valid points even though his methods were too ruthless.  He was short sighted and was wrong to consider violence as the first solution to the world's problems.  It can even be argued that he helped T'Challa widen his world view to acknowledge changes that needed to happen which makes Killmonger's story so tragic.   If his life had gone another path he could have been allies with T'Challa and done a lot of good. 

• Love 13

We just got back from seeing this. It was outstanding. Visually stunning and superb acting. 

The storyline was so poignant. I understood both the isolationist argument as well as the humanitarian one. On the one hand how can one standby and not provide aid to those who are suffering around them when they have the power to do so. However, history has shown us what man can do when they are exposed to such innovative and powerful science and technologies. They pillage, kill and ultimately use that power to control and destroy. 

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

I really appreciated that the villain wasn't a cartoon.  He had complexity, and you could even understand why someone might want to follow him.   Killmonger even had valid points even though his methods were too ruthless.  He was short sighted and was wrong to consider violence as the first solution to the world's problems.  

I too enjoyed the complexity of Erik,  as stated his ideas were shortsighted. Providing such weapons throughout the world in an attempt to change the world to his liking would ultimately destroy it. 

I loved all the women in this. All very strong and passionate about their beliefs and convictions. All the actresses were fantastic. 

On a shallow note, Chadwick Boseman was sexy as hell in this. T’Challa wouldn’t have had to ask me twice to stay if I was Nakia. ?

I was pleasantly surprised to see at the end that some of this was filmed in Georgia. Now I’m going to have to find out where and which scenes. 

Liked the bonus scenes! Seeing Shuri and Bucky at the end has inspired me to watch Captain American Civil war again.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 15