Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/chadwick-boseman-dead-abc-black-panther-tribute-1234753865/

The Walt Disney Co. and Marvel Studios will pay tribute to Chadwick Boseman tonight with a special commercial-free airing of “Black Panther” on ABC, followed by a special examining the actor’s life and work.

The movie is set to air without interruption on ABC from 8 p.m.-10:20 p.m. The rest of the 10 p.m. hour of primetime will be filled by “Chadwick Boseman — A Tribute for a King,” produced by ABC News. ABC News said the special will “celebrate Boseman’s storied life, legacy and career, and the cultural imprint he made on- and off-screen. It will feature tributes that have poured in from celebrities, political figures and fans across the world, special words from those who starred alongside him and knew Boseman best, and shine a light on the medical condition he privately battled.”

• Love 8

The only way they could get away with recasting T'Challa is if Chadwick recorded a video of himself being 100% behind that move.  Otherwise it would come off as too disrespectful.

Regardless, the new actor would have a severe disadvantage regardless.  This isn't like recasting Rhodes or Banner, Boseman was every bit as good as RDJ, Evans, etc. at embodying the character.  Anyone else would likely come across as a poor imitation, no matter how talented they are, especially since the audience would already be inclined to dislike the new guy. 

• Love 7

You can't recast T'Challa. Chadwick (RIP) owns that role. But the Black Panther persona itself has never belonged to any one individual -- it is inherited, as is a royal title.

Whoever inherits the Black Panther role, however, the franchise (if it even continues ) will be lesser for Boseman's loss.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The only way they could get away with recasting T'Challa is if Chadwick recorded a video of himself being 100% behind that move.  Otherwise it would come off as too disrespectful.

I know it's been done, Spartacus had to recast because the lead actor got cancer. First they delayed S2 to give him time for treatment by doing a prequel. Then when he was set to come back from treatment for S3 it came back so they had to recast. As I recall Andy gave they OK to recast.

ETA: Thatcs not to say I'm in favor or a recast, I already said I don't think they should. However, it has been and can be done. I do think that with the way the comics go they should just pass the BP to another character and leave T'Challa alone

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

They won't recast.  If they do return for sequels, it would mean something like another character taking the mantle.  But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Marvel just shuts the door completely on the Black Panther films.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

They should set the sequel 20 years in the future and have it be about T'Challa's son.

Remember it is not just a sequel but part of the MCU. Since characters have to survive the normal move would be to  recast. However the character is also duel titles of protector along with head of state and government. The Avengers Endgame left other characters still in play able to rise to the roles as would in real life.

Edited by Raja
5 minutes ago, Raja said:

The Avengers Endgame left other characters still in play able to rise to the roles as would in real life.

I think I read the M'Baku became King after T'Challa and Shurri were dusted. They could got that way...although they'll need to figure something out for the flower that gives him power since time was all destroyed

2 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

They won't recast.  If they do return for sequels, it would mean something like another character taking the mantle.  But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Marvel just shuts the door completely on the Black Panther films.

I expect Shuri to inherit the Black Panther mantle -- and the new BP, and Wakanda, will remain important parts of the MCU. But I'm doubtful whether we'll see BP2, at least in the near future. I suspect the franchise will be put on indefinite hold.

The future of the Black Panther in the MCU, of course, is of secondary concern as compared to the death of a talented actor still in his prime.

• Love 3

@mtlchick . . . I hope the rest of your treatment goes smoothly. And I get where you're coming from emotionally.

7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think I read the M'Baku became King after T'Challa and Shurri were dusted.

I feel like the folks behind MCU should have a long conversation with each other before they even think of what to do next. But I have a mental image of all of the heroes gathered for a new crisis. I imagine Peter Quill trying to give a speech, only to be shouted down by M'Baku and his crew. This would have nothing to do with race . . . but rather how the heroes fucking HAD Thanos, and Quill blew it. Everyone would be barking. Including the Guardians. Even Rocket and Groot.

But yeah . . . long deliberation. Was there a sequel on the schedule, even if it was tentatively dated?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

@mtlchick . . . I hope the rest of your treatment goes smoothly. And I get where you're coming from emotionally.

I feel like the folks behind MCU should have a long conversation with each other before they even think of what to do next. But I have a mental image of all of the heroes gathered for a new crisis. I imagine Peter Quill trying to give a speech, only to be shouted down by M'Baku and his crew. This would have nothing to do with race . . . but rather how the heroes fucking HAD Thanos, and Quill blew it. Everyone would be barking. Including the Guardians. Even Rocket and Groot.

I would LOVE that.

Mom just watched the movie right now and despite never watching the Marvel movies, she could easily keep up with it. She was stunned to see Adonis Creed play the bad guy though.

Watching the ABC tribute now. The Marvel stars Zoom tributes were great. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Was there a sequel on the schedule, even if it was tentatively dated?

Yes. It was supposed to come out March 2022. 

As per IMDB, the sequel was set for 2022, but filming hadn't started yet. Since Disney/Marvel must have been accommodating Chadwick due to his health for some time, they'd clearly been working with him on his schedule as far as that goes. What they'll do next is anyone's guess, though I wouldn't mind Shuri or Okoye taking on the mantle. But like you said, after a lot of serious conversation about how to handle things.

8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I would LOVE that.

Mom just watched the movie right now and despite never watching the Marvel movies, she could easily keep up with it. She was stunned to see Adonis Creed play the bad guy though.

Watching the ABC tribute now. The Marvel stars Zoom tributes were great. 

I hadn't seen the movie before tonight either.  I enjoyed it, and I don't think I had trouble keeping up.  Should I have?

The ABC tribute was nice, but I found it quite annoying that hardly anyone was identified onscreen. 

• Love 1
On 8/29/2020 at 8:02 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I think I would be ok with a recast, given a decent amount of time. I think in general with the whole MCU shared universe getting bigger and bigger Marvel needs to come up with kind of a continuity plan either for when things like these happen or when people just don't want to play the characters any more. I mean it is one thing to have a shared universe in the comics where the characters can live forever and have our aged about 14 years since 1961. But it is a bit harder to do in movies where people age and sadly die.   

Plus there are so many great T'Challa stories left to tell. Sure Boseman was amazing, but there are other amazing actors out there. 

I agree. These superheroes are meant to be played through generations by many. 

I wish we had more time with Chadwick’s T’Challa but someone was always going to take over and play T’Challa after Chadwick finished. Just like Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, etc... there  will be many great actors/actresses to play these heroes. Hopefully it’s a while away for Black Panther.

Anyways there needs to be  time to grieve and Chadwick laid to rest before any talk about Black Panther. 

7 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

agree. These superheroes are meant to be played through generations by many. 

I wish we had more time with Chadwick’s T’Challa but someone was always going to take over and play T’Challa after Chadwick finished. Just like Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, etc... there  will be many great actors/actresses to play these heroes. Hopefully it’s a while away for Black Panther.

I disagree, there will and, can be many Black Panthers, there aren't many T'Challas. MCU is passing the torch to other characters. They aren't recasting Tony Stark or Steve Rogers, they're making Sam the new Captain America and, will probably make his daughter or Riri Williams the new Iron Man. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I disagree, there will and, can be many Black Panthers, there aren't many T'Challas. MCU is passing the torch to other characters. They aren't recasting Tony Stark or Steve Rogers, they're making Sam the new Captain America and, will probably make his daughter or Riri Williams the new Iron Man. 

Well at least until Kevin Feige leaves the scene and his life's work is rebooted. Then you have to have the most popular Black Panther and King again.. It doesn't seem like they will do it and he still has to add the Fantastic Four and X-Men

Edited by Raja
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The thing is I am much more interested in more T'Challa stories than a Shuri as the BP story (although a Dora Milage movie would be cool). I also find it weird that recasting T'Challa would be some kind of disrespect for the dead thing, especially when Chadwick Boseman played actual dead people like James Brown and Jackie Robinson. By that logic it would be ok to make a Chadwick biopic and have another actor play him ,(including parts of his life where he played the Panther). But then would it not be ok to have someone else just play T'Challa?

• Love 1

I think there will be another Black Panther and also think that it can be handled respectfully and delicately. I pity the actor that follows Chadwick because the comparisons will be off the charts. Since I think another Black Panther is inevitable, I am more interested in how they handle T'Challa's death onscreen.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The thing is I am much more interested in more T'Challa stories than a Shuri as the BP story (although a Dora Milage movie would be cool). I also find it weird that recasting T'Challa would be some kind of disrespect for the dead thing, especially when Chadwick Boseman played actual dead people like James Brown and Jackie Robinson. By that logic it would be ok to make a Chadwick biopic and have another actor play him ,(including parts of his life where he played the Panther). But then would it not be ok to have someone else just play T'Challa?

I think there is a big difference between casting someone to play a real person in a biopic and recasting a character after an actor dies. The first is about honoring the person and the second is about replacing a person. 

2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I think there will be anothe Black Panther and also think that it can be handled respectfully and delicately. I pity the actor that follows Chadwick because the comparisons will be off the charts. Since I think another Black Panther is inevitable, I am more interested in how they handle T'Challa's death onscreen.

I agree. One thing the last few days has done is highlight just how important Black Panther was. It’s going to be a delicate tightrope for Marvel to walk but it a situation that needs to addressed head on.  

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

What I’m saying is when they reboot these characters in live action years from now someone else will have played T’Challa/Black Panther. This is a character with many stories to tell and Chadwick was not going to play this character forever. 

Yes these actors like RDJ, Chris E, Chadwick have brought these superheroes to life on screen but more will come after them and give new versions to these beloved heroes. 

But it’s way to soon to be having this conversation IMO. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

What I’m saying is when they reboot these characters in live action years from now someone else will have played T’Challa/Black Panther. This is a character with many stories to tell and Chadwick was not going to play this character forever. 

Yes these actors like RDJ, Chris E, Chadwick have brought these superheroes to life on screen but more will come after them and give new versions to these beloved heroes. 

But it’s way to soon to be having this conversation IMO. 

Sure 15-20 years from now there will be a reboot and they can cast someone new as T'Challa but, MCU isn't going to drop Black Panther from the Universe. So, what happens in the immediate future? Black Panther 2 was supposed to be released in 2022 (obviously it will be delayed). There are people advocating that in 2022-2023 the BP sequel should come out with a recast of T'Challa. Others (like myself) think they should move onto a new BP. They can always bring T'Challa back in a (much) later reboot.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

As @Jazzy24 said, it's just way too soon to have this discussion. The sequel being delayed for so long is because Chadwick Boseman must have been in remission for a time, and then he wasn't anymore. That he made seven movies while he was fighting cancer is probably the most badass thing I've heard of in a while, but IMO what's weird is that "when will they recast?" is even a topic.

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

There can be many Black Panthers, but there is only one T'Challa.

Also this. T'Challa's arc was about learning to accept that the father he loved and admired could and did make terrible mistakes, and those mistakes rebounded onto him when Erik Killmonger showed up to take the Wakandan throne. It isn't just the mantle of Black Panther or the position of a reigning monarch, since there were many before him who's stories we never heard, it's the man behind those things.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Chadwick Boseman must have been in remission for a time, and then he wasn't anymore.

Based on the information released I would be surprised if he was ever in remission. Many people live and work while appearing normal to outsiders for years while receiving treatment. 

The problem they have is that Black Panther has been an incredibly important character to a lot of people - an inspirational figure who made people feel more positively about themselves and their identity. 

The reluctance to recast T'Challa is very understandable, but at some point Disney will have to have a good, long think about whether they want to continue the character or pass the mantle on to someone new. Objectively speaking, there are other actors who could step in and honour Boseman's work, continuing to establish Black Panther and Wakanda as staples in the pantheon of American cinema. I have some names who I think would be worth considering, but I agree that it's not the time to be thinking about that.

And hey, if they wanted to just make Nakia or Shuri the next Black Panther, that could work too. But the movie would have a sense of deep sadness about it.

• Love 1

I think any recast/bringing in a new character would have to be done carefully, but could be done. I hope they do continue on with the BP part of the universe though. IMO it would be a great disrespect to have the thing end with Boseman. It would be ending a big part of his legacy for this to be the end of Wakanda for the foreseeable future...  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Raja said:

Seeing as the movie practically started with the King is dead long live the King,  I do believe an existing cast member will advance rather than a recast 

If they do the second one, I think that Siri should take the mantel. 

• Love 3

I don't think there's an easy answer either way on recasting. I would personally favor recasting as I feel we've only scratched the surface on T'Chala and opening up Wakanda was his decision so the fallout from that both good and bad should be centered on him , but IMO the decision should be up to Ryan Coogler, and if he's the one to make the call either way I'll trust that he's making the right choice for the franchise

• Love 2

I was gutted when I heard Boseman passed.  I really hope they do not recast the role, it'd be way too soon.  I imagine Disney already had a contingency plan which could be Shuri or maybe even a split role of Shuri and Queen and Okoye as the Black Panther.  I hope the next movie opens with a funeral for T'Challa to honor Boseman.  For the next movie I would love to see Kevin Cole as the lead character.  Maybe have him be a kid who was helped through a Wandaka outreach center and as an adult decides to take on the mantel in honor of T'Challa.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Matt K said:

I hope the next movie opens with a funeral for T'Challa to honor Boseman.  

That is kind of the problem though. Some people might think that recasting would be disrespectful, but at the same time having T'Challa die off screen could be seen as disrespectful as well. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is kind of the problem though. Some people might think that recasting would be disrespectful, but at the same time having T'Challa die off screen could be seen as disrespectful as well. 

The snap/time skip does make it pretty easy to say that T'Challa left rather than create a succession issue in Wakanda since somebody has already been running the country in his absence. He could be doing his outreach work in Oakland or he could be off in space trying to make sure another Thanos situation doesn't happen. Which would give him a happy ending and leave open the option to recast later when the wound isn't so fresh.

Any recast would have to explain away the obvious : why does T'Challa now look different? They could come up with something, but that something would be cheesy -- and the audience of course knows the real explanation : Boseman died. It would pull the audience right out of the story.

49 minutes ago, clack said:

Any recast would have to explain away the obvious : why does T'Challa now look different? They could come up with something, but that something would be cheesy -- and the audience of course knows the real explanation : Boseman died. It would pull the audience right out of the story.

Why would they. They never did that for Rhody or Bruce Banner (and James Bond for that matter)? I think the cheesier thing would be explaining how a total badass was killed off screen or why he isn't going to be showing up for some super important thing happening in Wakanda. Plus do people really think there is no other black actor in the entire world who could play T'Challa?

Although part of the reason I hope they do a recast is because I was a huge fan of Black Panther Volume 3 (the comic) back in the day. I loved his friendship with Agent Ross and I would love to see a T'Challa vs Achebe story.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
44 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why would they. They never did that for Rhody or Bruce Banner (and James Bond for that matter)? I think the cheesier thing would be explaining how a total badass was killed off screen or why he isn't going to be showing up for some super important thing happening in Wakanda. Plus do people really think there is no other black actor in the entire world who could play T'Challa?

They had a lot more leeway with Rhody and Banner when those changes were made. Rhody was a side character and The Incredible Hulk was only moderately successful. Now it’s much harder for the MCU to change a lead actor. 
I don’t think people believe that no other black actor can play T’Challa but that no other actor can replace Chadwick’s T’Challa. 

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

No matter what they do some people will find it disrespectful. Right now the majority seem to be against recasting. It’s just too soon for any decision to be made and fortunately Marvel has enough movies lined up that they can take their time and make the best decision.