Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why would they. They never did that for Rhody or Bruce Banner (and James Bond for that matter)? I think the cheesier thing would be explaining how a total badass was killed off screen or why he isn't going to be showing up for some super important thing happening in Wakanda. Plus do people really think there is no other black actor in the entire world who could play T'Challa?

Although part of the reason I hope they do a recast is because I was a huge fan of Black Panther Volume 3 (the comic) back in the day. I loved his friendship with Agent Ross and I would love to see a T'Challa vs Achebe story.

Because Terrence Howard and Edward Norton didn't unexpectedly die; because neither Iron Man nor The Incredible Hulk was the cultural phenomenon that is Black Panther; and mainly because neither Howard nor Norton were inexorably linked to their character--each had only played the character in one film, not to mention there had been another (non-MCU) Hulk only five years prior--in the way that Chadwick Boseman had become T'Challa over the course of four MCU films. 

I think the only somewhat comparable comparison in popular film would be Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore. It's not an apples to apples comparison, by any means. Harris was 72 when he died and while it was not expected, his death, while sad, did not shock the world the way Chadwick Boseman's has. The producers of the Harry Potter films HAD to re-cast Albus Dumbledore as the story for the films was coming directly from the next five books in the series and he was a major, irreplaceable character. Although Harris had appeared in only the first two films, he was quite beloved by filmgoers. Michael Gambon may have played the role in six films but most HP fans still refer to Richard Harris as "The real Dumbledore." 

But while the HP producers HAD to re-cast the character to fit the books, that's not necessarily the case with Black Panther 2. There are work arounds as the public is not expecting a specific story from the comics for Black Panther 2. And, we know that there are times when the Black Panther, Wakanda's greatest warrior is not also the King of Wakanda. If they decide to re-cast T'Challa specifically, I sure wouldn't want to be the actor to take that part. Chadwick Boseman will always be "The real T'Challa."

• Love 10

I don't particularly want a recast either. 

Could they have a funeral for T'Challa and state he died from cancer, like Chadwick? I could see there being something moving about how there are some things even superheroes can't beat. It would be depressing, but nothing about this situation is ever going to be light hearted. 

Or do his Black Panther powers mean his body wouldn't get sick? I can't remember what sort of invulnerability he has. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Could they have a funeral for T'Challa and state he died from cancer, like Chadwick? I could see there being something moving about how there are some things even superheroes can't beat. It would be depressing, but nothing about this situation is ever going to be light hearted. 

Or do his Black Panther powers mean his body wouldn't get sick? I can't remember what sort of invulnerability he has. 

I was expecting something similar for Brian/Paul Walker in the Fast and Furious franchise. But that would have been tougher seeing their form of entertainment is dangerous.

The MCU Black Panther seems for all purposes a supernatural herbal equivalent of Captain America and The Winter Soldier/White Wolf with their man made serums so can heal but not to the extent that a Wolverine or Deadpool  are able to.

• Love 1

Shuri seems next in line for becoming the Black Panther, but is she a compelling long-term solution to the void left by Boseman's tragic death? She might be better served in being a transitional figure.

Perhaps they might introduce a T'Challa in all-but-name, a male royal --a cousin, maybe -- that will eventually take on the Black Panther guise when Shuri quits it, because it's not what she wants to do with her life.

Not a recasting, technically, but a new BP that can assume T'Challa's unfulfilled story lines.

Edit : just read an article in Hollywood Reporter. Up to a week before his death, Boseman still believed he would beat the cancer. And, no one at Disney or Marvel knew he was ill.

Edited by clack
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

That's kind of what I was hoping for.  I don't see an issue with T'Challa dying off screen of something like cancer or a brain aneurysm.  These are things that can suddenly fell anyone despite advanced science. 

Plus the next movie would be significantly further in the future than the last.  Black Panther took place a couple years before Endgame and Black Panther 2 would be years after the 5 year gap.  So the Wandaka Outreach and whatever else they set up would have been around for like a decade or more (at least for the non-blip people).  Whatever they do for the next movie, they could just handwave any succession issue (they figured something out after the mess with the blip, T'Challa set something up since he knew he might die, etc) or any other issues that might come up but they don't want to be the focus of the movie.  

I just can't see a good reason for Disney to recast T'Challa since it's not like they can't tell a story without T'Challa.  The next movie could easily be about T'Challa's legacy (so someone else taking up the mantel or a number of people suddenly taking up the mantel in honor of T'Challa).  Or it could be about Shuri figuring out her place in the world after the death of her brother or dealing with someone or a bunch of people taking up the mantel as superheroes.  It could even be about M'Baku (which I definitely wouldn't mind).  

Also, people will be pissed if they recast while the people who are in favor of recasting shouldn't be too upset if they don't.  So it's a pretty easy call not to.  

• Love 4

I think eventually the role will be recast, it's bound to happen just by the nature of Hollywood, but I don't think it will happen for a while.  I think of Christopher Reeves.  He was not the first actor to play Superman, but he made the part his to such a great degree.  He last appeared in the role in 1987 and no one would play the part again until Brandon Routh in 2006 (and I am aware that part of the reason for that was because Quest for Peace was so bad)

Chadwick Boseman also made T'Challa his own to that same degree if not much more, and he was the first actor to play Black Panther (in live action) and so is identified even more with the part.  I don't think recasting would fly, at least not for many years.

Marvel does have other options.  In the comics, S'Yan was T'Challa's uncle who became Black Panther, And I think Shuri did as well.  They could even do a prequel about the adventures of young T'Chaka and have Atandwa Kani reprise the role.

1 minute ago, Lugal said:

Marvel does have other options.  In the comics, S'Yan was T'Challa's uncle who became Black Panther, And I think Shuri did as well.  They could even do a prequel about the adventures of young T'Chaka and have Atandwa Kani reprise the role.

Shuri being Black Panther was a major years long thing.  Inevitably she was shuffled to the side (pretty much fridged, although later brought back) when they believed the story ran it's course, but it was a real thing, in the modern era.  

Not surprisingly, as Black Panther, her boobs grew twice as big so they could have sexy covers.

Here’s the Hollywood Reporter story @clack mentioned. 
Disney Grapples With How to Proceed on 'Black Panther' Without Chadwick Boseman

Disney sources say the company is processing its grief and that its focus at this stage is to pay tribute to Boseman and not on the making of a Black Panther sequel. Only a handful of non-family members knew that Boseman was sick, including producing partner Logan Coles, longtime agent Michael Greene, trainer Addison Henderson and 42 director Brian Helgeland — with varying degrees of knowledge about the severity of the actor’s condition. No one involved with Black Panther was aware, says a source. It was Boseman’s wish to keep his cancer battle private.

55 minutes ago, khyber said:

I'm not a superhero movie kind of person. Would I still enjoy this film?

I was talking to my aunt the other day and she said this "I don't watch Superhero movies but this was on ABC and it was really good with a great cast"

Crazy (probably unpopular opinion) bring back Erik Kilmonger. T'Challa dumped him in the ocean, Atlantian's/Namor found him and brought him back to life. He survives the dusting and, the 5 years that passed change his opinion on things. When he finally resurfaces T'Challa is dead and, he takes on the role. Shuri could still become Queen since they did have King T'Chaka and Prince Black Panther T'Challa.  This would also introduce Namor and setting up BP 3 Wakanda vs Atlantis.

It's a stretch but, Kilmonger was a great villain and Michael B Jordan is all around great.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, khyber said:

Yes. You got socioeconomics, you got the concept of Afrofuturism, you got two LOTR dudes actually playing humans (consider them the Tolkien white guys), and a stellar supporting cast.

Marvel Unlimited put up a spit-ton of Black Panther comics you can read for free. I kept forgetting to mention that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, khyber said:

It's a comic book movie, in that it's completely silly -- goofy fun, if you like that sort of thing (I do).

If, on the other hand, you're looking for plausible world-building or realistic characters, it's not for you.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I was talking to my aunt the other day and she said this "I don't watch Superhero movies but this was on ABC and it was really good with a great cast"

Crazy (probably unpopular opinion) bring back Erik Kilmonger. T'Challa dumped him in the ocean, Atlantian's/Namor found him and brought him back to life. He survives the dusting and, the 5 years that passed change his opinion on things. When he finally resurfaces T'Challa is dead and, he takes on the role. Shuri could still become Queen since they did have King T'Chaka and Prince Black Panther T'Challa.  This would also introduce Namor and setting up BP 3 Wakanda vs Atlantis.

It's a stretch but, Kilmonger was a great villain and Michael B Jordan is all around great.

This is not a bad idea. With all the "how will Marvel re-cast" talk, in the back of my mind I've been thinking about the fact that Namor was (most likely) going to be introduced in BP2, as it's been teased that way, and that's important to the overall MCU. I'm sure Ryan Coogler and the writers had an introduction for him that involved T'Challa, and would now be faced with writing it differently. I've also felt that however it was done it shouldn't involve a new actor playing T'Challa, but somehow accomplish this from using BP actors already established. I like the idea of somehow bringing back Killmonger. And we all know, no one's ever really dead in a superhero movie! He may have been the villain in the first BP film, but his villainy was relatable. Because MBJ was an original cast member, and played a true Wakandan with a royal lineage, I could get behind something along these lines.

• Love 2

Maybe a soap opera or a comic book can gradually redeem a villain over the years, but would BP2 movie goers forget that in BP1 that Killmonger was a murderous psychopath who, among other things, killed with relish museum guards just going about their jobs? 

Having Killmonger become the Black Panther would insult everything T'Challa -- and, by extension Boseman -- stood for.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, clack said:

Maybe a soap opera or a comic book can gradually redeem a villain over the years, but would BP2 movie goers forget that in BP1 that Killmonger was a murderous psychopath who, among other things, killed with relish museum guards just going about their jobs? 

Yes. Loki is proof that movie goers will forgive almost anything. There’s already plenty of people who don’t see Killmonger as a villain. 

12 minutes ago, Dani said:

Yes. Loki is proof that movie goers will forgive almost anything. There’s already plenty of people who don’t see Killmonger as a villain. 

There are always people who will see a villain as sympathetic and redeemable because he's handsome and cries a bit when he's upset.

Killmonger was a ruthless murderer who bragged about the number of people he'd killed (literally marking his body as proof) and showed no hesitation or regret even when he shot his own girlfriend. Yes, he had a tragic backstory but, as Jake Peralta said, "cool motive, still murder."

He's everything that Black Panther should not be, and deserves no redemption arc.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

There are always people who will see a villain as sympathetic and redeemable because he's handsome and cries a bit when he's upset.

Killmonger was a ruthless murderer who bragged about the number of people he'd killed (literally marking his body as proof) and showed no hesitation or regret even when he shot his own girlfriend. Yes, he had a tragic backstory but, as Jake Peralta said, "cool motive, still murder."

He's everything that Black Panther should not be, and deserves no redemption arc.

I agree with your conclusion but that wasn’t the question. If they go that route (I don’t think they will) I have no doubt that most of the audience would be fine with it.  

6 minutes ago, Dani said:

I agree with your conclusion but that wasn’t the question. If they go that route (I don’t think they will) I have no doubt that most of the audience would be fine with it.  

But I doubt if the producer, director or the actor who all saw the cultural significance of the first film would be fine with it

17 minutes ago, Raja said:

But I doubt if the producer, director or the actor who all saw the cultural significance of the first film would be fine with it

Which is why said I didn’t think it would or should happen. 

4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don’t think the appeal of Killmonger was necessarily that he was cute (although if Jordan does it for someone, who am I to judge) or emo.  What people seemed to respond to were his core ideas- that Wakanda was wrong to hide its exceptionalism from the world, and that it has a responsibility to lift up the African diaspora throughout the world.  His methods of obtaining power were bad, and his plan to foment violent revolution was wrong- but his underlying messages resonated with many people- hence #KillmongerWasRight.  T’Challa himself basically adopted Killmonger’s agenda, just repositioned as humanitarian measures.

Given that, I do think there is a chance that audiences would go with a resurrected Killmonger taking up the BP mantle.  He’d definitely need to demonstrate that he had reformed first, but I think with the right story it could work.  Honestly, the fact that he got killed in BP1 almost makes it an easier sell- what more punishment does he need, he already died.

Having said that, I think there’s close to no chance of that actually happening.  The only replacement I find even less likely would be Ross.  I fully expect the next Black Panther to be one of the existing characters- probably Shuri, although I also like the possibility of Okoye.

• Love 2

I don't think it would happen and I'm the one that suggested it as an option. 

I'm personally on the M'Baku as new BP train, he was King of Wakanda when everyone else got Dusted. I'm not opposed to Shuri as BP but, I just adore her as the brilliant scientist. Plus her story might be more impactful if it's about growing up after losing her brother without combining it with the BP mantel. I'm going to miss the brother/sister relationship. 😥

I'm pretty opposed to recasting T'Challa but, I saw a YouTube comment that suggested Aldis Hodge as a new T'Challa and now, I can't stop thinking about that.

• Love 1

T'Challa is in one sense the African Steve Rogers   both idealized figures of heroic nobility. There is no dark side to such characters -- no Tony Stark arrogance or Black Widow's red ledger.

One of the things that movies and comic books do is to provide such unrealistic, mythic paragons of goodness as a model for young people to aspire to.

Whoever will be the next BP, it is important that they be brave, unselfish, wise, and psychologically balanced. I get why actors, writers, and directors grow bored with such characters ( think of what they've done to Superman over the years), but people need myths.

• Love 4

If they pass the mantle onto another character, my vote is for Nakia. Because Lupita Nyong'o is amazing and needs to be the headliner of more movies. Her character in the first movie was selfless and driven and devoted to helping people.

The mechanism is there for the crown to pass to the champions of other tribes, and I could easily see Shuri flat out saying 'not for me, thanks' while pushing Nakia to take the gig. Nakia, of course, would feel an obligation to continue T'Challa's work and to honour his memory.

Added bonus - the man-babies who were crying about a black superhero will freak out even more over a black woman superhero.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, clack said:

T'Challa is in one sense the African Steve Rogers   both idealized figures of heroic nobility. There is no dark side to such characters -- no Tony Stark arrogance or Black Widow's red ledger.

That's arguable. T'Challa's nobility was why he didn't throw Killmonger straight into prison and/or have him summarily executed, despite Ramonda urging him not to accept the second challenge fight or even have anything to do with him. As has been noted, Killmonger was a murdering psychopath who would have left much less population for Thanos to halve if he'd continued to rule Wakanda, and while it was noble of T'Challa to deal with him honorably, it was also incredibly naive. He was too caught up in not making his father's mistakes to see the downside.

• Love 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Black Panther (not necessarily the King of Wakanda) supposed to be Wakanda's fiercest warrior? How is that NOT Okoye? I'd be happy with M'Baku sitting on the throne as Wakanda's King, with Okoye as the Black Panther. I love both characters and would love to see each highlighted.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I don’t think the appeal of Killmonger was necessarily that he was cute (although if Jordan does it for someone, who am I to judge) or emo.  What people seemed to respond to were his core ideas- that Wakanda was wrong to hide its exceptionalism from the world, and that it has a responsibility to lift up the African diaspora throughout the world.  His methods of obtaining power were bad, and his plan to foment violent revolution was wrong- but his underlying messages resonated with many people- hence #KillmongerWasRight.  T’Challa himself basically adopted Killmonger’s agenda, just repositioned as humanitarian measures.

That was Nakia's idea as well, and you notice that her plans never included killing people. Screw Kilmonger, Nakia was the one who was really right all along.

• Love 15
17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Black Panther (not necessarily the King of Wakanda) supposed to be Wakanda's fiercest warrior? How is that NOT Okoye? I'd be happy with M'Baku sitting on the throne as Wakanda's King, with Okoye as the Black Panther. I love both characters and would love to see each highlighted.

I don't think it's open to just anyone. Seemed to be opened to the chiefs/children of each tribe, since  BP and King go hand in hand. Also, Okoye is Dora Milaje and, is sworn to protect the King, I don't think she can just quit and, become the BP.  

That being said, at this point I guess anything is possible since they're going to have to come up with something new, unless they decide to recast.

Edited by Morrigan2575

According to the comics anyway, the herb that conveys the Black Panther powers can only be taken by those of royal blood. To all others, it is poison.

I guess the MCU can change that, but I don't know why they would need to. Shuri is eligible, she has been the BP in the comics at times, and if they don't decide to go that route they can introduce a cousin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I really do not want Kilmonger to be the new Black Panther and did not fall in love with Jordan's portrayal. I remember many saying that Jordan was more enthralling than Boseman in their respective roles. I disagree.

I am ok with Shuri being the new Black Panther but would rather she remain a scientist.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Added bonus - the man-babies who were crying about a black superhero will freak out even more over a black woman superhero.

I think, upon seeing the movie, some right wingers recognized and approved  just how right-wing Wakanda itself is.

A warrior-based culture. Absolute monarchy. Hierarchies by bloodline. Isolated and closed off from contamination by inferior races. It's close to 19th c. Japan.

3 hours ago, clack said:

According to the comics anyway, the herb that conveys the Black Panther powers can only be taken by those of royal blood. To all others, it is poison.

I guess the MCU can change that, but I don't know why they would need to. Shuri is eligible, she has been the BP in the comics at times, and if they don't decide to go that route they can introduce a cousin.

Does that mean T'Challa's family has been ruling Wakanda for thousands of years? Or does the clan chiefs/family count as royal blood? Is M'Baku related to T'Challa in some way?  Damn, now I want a Royal Lines/Family Tree breakdown of Wakanda 😁

Edited by Morrigan2575
14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Does that mean T'Challa's family has been ruling Wakanda for thousands of years? Or does the clan chiefs/family count as royal blood? Is M'Baku related to T'Challa in some way?  Damn, now I want a Royal Lines/Family Tree breakdown of Wakanda 😁

It certainly seemed that way when there where no challengers except the exiled tribe the last time an accession to the throne arose. So it does seem as each tribe had its own royalty. And since the King had to survive a trial by combat it would seem, at least among the royal blood he was the baddest fighter in the land, or potentially  needed to be.

The quest then becomes does an aging king then choose a champion from among the royalty. However with the armor becoming ever more ubertech will the suit supplant the herbal enhancement as the real source of the Black Panther's power.

40 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Just as everyone of European ancestry alive today is a descendent of King Charlemagne ( basic family tree math), if T'Challa's family has been ruling the much smaller, more genetically isolated Wakanda for a thousand years, every Wakandan must have royal blood. And I assume that the royal family haven't been marrying their own siblings for generations, so their bloodline must be becoming more and more diffused.

So yeah, it doesn't make sense if you think about it -- but it's comic book stuff, we're not meant to think about it, and I'm ok with that. I mean, getting bit by a radioactive spider isn't really going to give you superpowers either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Let's bear in mind that this is a magic flower whose ritual use was established by the Egyptian panther-god, who led her chosen people to settle around a mountain of vibranium left over from an asteroid impact. Everything in Wakanda may be set up the way it is because a giant supernatural cat finds it entertaining, not because it actually makes logical sense

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Let's bear in mind that this is a magic flower whose ritual use was established by the Egyptian panther-god, who led her chosen people to settle around a mountain of vibranium left over from an asteroid impact.

I thought the vibranium asteroid that crashed into (the land that became) Wakanda mutated an Earth herb into the Heart shaped flower. 

• Love 1

Maybe that's how it is in the comics, but I'd say an herbal concoction that requires symbolic burial to take effect and facilitates contact with departed ancestors in the spirit world while it enhances the body is firmly in the realm of magic/divine power rather than sci-fi.

14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Maybe that's how it is in the comics, but I'd say an herbal concoction that requires symbolic burial to take effect and facilitates contact with departed ancestors in the spirit world while it enhances the body is firmly in the realm of magic/divine power rather than sci-fi.

I think it's that way in the movie too. The opening narration says the meteorite affected the plant life of Wakanda. Thousands of years later, Bast came to a warrior in a vision and, showed him the herb which made him the first Black Panther. The implication (since this follows the opening line about the meteor) is that the Meteorite created the herb but, Bast was the one that showed them it's importance.

At least that's my take on how it worked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/5/2020 at 6:44 PM, Danny Franks said:

If they pass the mantle onto another character, my vote is for Nakia. Because Lupita Nyong'o is amazing and needs to be the headliner of more movies. Her character in the first movie was selfless and driven and devoted to helping people.

The mechanism is there for the crown to pass to the champions of other tribes, and I could easily see Shuri flat out saying 'not for me, thanks' while pushing Nakia to take the gig. Nakia, of course, would feel an obligation to continue T'Challa's work and to honour his memory.

that would be my vote as well. Lupita is great and her character was already the closest thing to T'Challa in the film, noble, strong, etc.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2020 at 6:45 PM, clack said:

Having Killmonger become the Black Panther would insult everything T'Challa -- and, by extension Boseman -- stood for.

They had no problem forgetting that Wanda originally worked for HYDRA, helped ULTRON, and only switched sides when she realized that ULTRON planned to kill her too.  And that was in the same move.

Yeah, but Ultron was promising to help get revenge on the guy whose bomb blew up her parents in front of her eyes. Once she could read his mind and see what he actually intended she was horrified (on humanity's behalf, not just hers and Pietro's) and did everything she could to fight him and save people's lives.

Killmonger died as he lived, trying to burn the world down to make it pay for his personal pain. Which, let me be clear, was a valid grievance. But the person who actually wronged him was already dead (too bad he couldn't rush his training and master plan schedule enough to do anything while T'chaka was alive, eh?), and he was completely unconcerned that it was citizens of Wakanda who'd never done anything to him that he was targeting.

• Love 9

Re-watched this; and I only have two gripes with this film, everything else was excellent.

1) Hated the way Killmonger's girlfriend died. We didn't learn much about her in the film itself, but I assume she was also some type of elite soldier? It just seemed really lame how they killed her off. I mean, Klaue only had one hand, which was busy with a gun -- I just think they could have set up that scene better even if she was going to die anyway.

2) Ross was unnecessary. It annoyed me that they felt they needed him I'm guessing, for a) exposition - not really; b) to keep an MCU connection - again, not really necessary with the scenes at the beginning and end referring to Zemo and Bucky; or c) just to have another token White so that there wasn't only white characters (Klaue) as villains?

On 1/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, Trini said:

Ross was unnecessary. It annoyed me that they felt they needed him I'm guessing, for a) exposition - not really; b) to keep an MCU connection - again, not really necessary with the scenes at the beginning and end referring to Zemo and Bucky; or c) just to have another token White so that there wasn't only white characters (Klaue) as villains?

I like Ross and think he was necessary. You need that person who is an outsider to Wakanda. Otherwise you have a lot of clunky dialogue where for some strange reason Shuri is explaining to T'Challa all of the amazing things about their country which he should already know.

Plus I always really liked the friendship Ross and T'Challa had in the comics.

• Love 5
On 9/2/2020 at 12:28 AM, Dani said:

They had a lot more leeway with Rhody and Banner when those changes were made. Rhody was a side character and The Incredible Hulk was only moderately successful. Now it’s much harder for the MCU to change a lead actor. 
I don’t think people believe that no other black actor can play T’Challa but that no other actor can replace Chadwick’s T’Challa. 

For me, I agree no other actor can replace Chadwick's T'Challa. However, I do believe that another actor can successfully create their own T'Challa, that their T'Challa can be on par with Chadwick's T'Challa. 

Someone mentioned Spartacus. I loved Andy Whitfield's Spartacus. I also loved Liam McIntyre's Spartacus. I never felt like Liam was replacing Andy but that Liam created his own Spartacus and did an amazing job.

I understand that some fans may not accept a recast. I just don't think a recast = terrible idea/failure.

• Love 4
On 9/6/2020 at 9:15 AM, Enigma X said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I really do not want Kilmonger to be the new Black Panther and did not fall in love with Jordan's portrayal. I remember many saying that Jordan was more enthralling than Boseman in their respective roles. I disagree.

It's my UO too. I thought MBJ was the only weak link in the movie. When I started watching the movie again I remember telling a group of friends that MBJ almost ruins the movie for me LOL

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I like Ross and think he was necessary. You need that person who is an outsider to Wakanda. Otherwise you have a lot of clunky dialogue where for some strange reason Shuri is explaining to T'Challa all of the amazing things about their country which he should already know.

Plus I always really liked the friendship Ross and T'Challa had in the comics.

Ah - I didn't know they had a relationship in the comics. I still stand by my opinion, though.

Update on Black Panther 2:

https://deadline.com/2021/01/marvel-kevin-feige-interview-wandavision-black-panther-2-chadwick-boseman-black-widow-disney-1234670774/

FEIGE: So much of the comics and that first movie is the world of Wakanda. Wakanda is a place to further explore with characters and different subcultures. This was always and initially the primary focus of the next story. We’re not going to have a CG Chadwick and we’re not recasting T’Challa. Ryan Coogler is working very hard right now on the script with all the respect and love and genius that he has, which gives us great solace, so it was always about furthering the mythology and the inspiration of Wakanda. There’s also the task of honoring and respecting the ongoing learnings and teachings from Chad as well.

[Should a Black Panther 2 topic be started?]

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Give the mantle to Nakia, Feige. You know you want a Lupita Nyong'o headed action movie.

Black Panthers? Less wordy than Legacy of the Black Panther, less cringey than Shadow of the Black Panther. Why choose just one kickass lady or a dude dressed as an ape? Shit, everyone gets a suit except Ross.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1