Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

If I was Marvel I'd just release the 3 hour cut for home video and download already.

So Zuri obviously wasn't a family friend if he was able to be undercover spying N'Jobu. He probably was thinking when he started "We are going to have such a laugh about this when he finds out I'm from Wakanda too!" Whoops.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

First of all.. kid T'Challa and Nakia are probably the most adorable things I've seen since... I don't know when.

Secondly, that's a kind of call-back (foreshadowing) of how Nakia knew her way around the catacombs to smuggle out the royal family, and steal the heart-shaped herbs. She'd been playing in those tunnels since she was a child.

Thirdly, the lightning on this movie is fantastic. It was a night scene in a tunnel but I could make out each threaded strand on kid!Nakia's hair. Goes to show that the only reason why "mainstream" movies/TV shows don't light up Black people properly is because they don't want to. I remember the shock I had when I realized that Candice Patton is in real life far more light-skinned than you'd know from watching the early seasons of the Flash.

• Love 8

In this one scene you can see what a good dad T'Chaka is. What a difference it would have made to Erik to have been brought up in Wakanda rather than left to the system in Oakland. And I'd bet that if they'd brought him home and explained that T'Chaka didn't mean to kill N'Jobu, that he was only trying to protect Zuri, Erik might have been all right.

Or he could have been the Wakandan Loki.

• Love 8

I was just reading about the Wakandan sets that were built for the movie. They spoke about about the décor for T'challa's office that we never saw in the movie. Since, the scenes that were shot in there, were cut.  I would love to see pictures of it.  Ryan Coogler put everything in this movie. It is not fair that we cannot have the whole movie, unedited, on Blue Ray.

• Love 2

As much as I like more story . . . five-plus hours(?) would be major overkill.

21 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I was just reading about the Wakandan sets that were built for the movie. They spoke about about the décor for T'challa's office that we never saw in the movie.

Did that include a book covering contingency plans in case Galactus invaded? #PriestFan

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

As much as I like more story . . . five-plus hours(?) would be major overkill.

Did that include a book covering contingency plans in case Galactus invaded? #PriestFan

Of course, it would be unrealistic, for a movie to be 4 hours long, at the movie theatre. Nobody would go see it..lol.. 

I just want to see Ryan's whole vision of the movie.. He really has an eye for details that elevates a scene. For example: when Killmonger goes to the ancestral plane and sees his dad, there is a purple light, outside of the apartment window. It is the same purple light that is in the ancestral plane, where T'challa sees his dad. While they are with the rest of their ancestors. N'Jobu and his son are forever abandoned and cast out.. N'Jobu laments their predicament.  It makes it even sadder, when Eric says to his dad, that their home is the one that is lost and that is why they cannot be found.  I teared up, when he said that.. 

“A child that is not accepted by the village, will burn it down just to feel its warmth.” African Proverb. That proverb describes Killmonger to a T...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I just want to see Ryan's whole vision of the movie.. He really has an eye for details that elevates a scene. For example: when Killmonger goes to the ancestral plane and sees his dad, there is a purple light, outside of the apartment window. It is the same purple light that is in the ancestral plane, where T'challa sees his dad. While they are with the rest of their ancestors. N'Jobu and his son are forever abandoned and cast out.. N'Jobu laments their predicament.  It makes it even sadder, when Eric says to his dad, that their home is the one that is lost and that is why they cannot be found.  I teared up, when he said that.. 

That was sad.  But if he was talking about Wakanda, they did kind of bring it on themselves.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That was sad.  But if he was talking about Wakanda, they did kind of bring it on themselves.

Everybody was wrong. Except for T'Challa and Zuri. Zuri was protecting his country, by informing his king, of his brother's treachery.. 

N'Jobu's diary has also been released, where he talks about his dilemma about helping his brothers and sisters in the diaspora and betraying his country.  The same diary that we saw Eric taking out, of that secret hiding place, when he goes to the ancestral plane and sees his dad. Coogler is amazing in his storytelling..

• Love 6
On 5/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, ursula said:

Thirdly, the lightning on this movie is fantastic. It was a night scene in a tunnel but I could make out each threaded strand on kid!Nakia's hair. Goes to show that the only reason why "mainstream" movies/TV shows don't light up Black people properly is because they don't want to.

I think at least some of it when talking about shooting on film is that lighting and developing processes that keep pale people from looking pasty and washed-out are also going to make people with dark skin lose contrast and detail. In this movie, the default could be set to get the richest range of tones for darker skin, as most of the cast is black (and Martin Freeman is going to look pasty no matter what you do).

• Love 8

Transcript of N'Jobu's journal entry.  Somebody was able to transcribe it...

"Ungubani? Who are you? I asked this question of myself many times. Often times, I do not know. But I do know I am no longer the man my country once knew.

Maybe love? My son?

It has all changed me. T'Chaka must see what we can do, how we can change the course of time for the people who struggle so much in this land. Strangers to me, but my brothers and sisters still. How can I look at (them) with the same skin as me, stolen from the same place I come from and not reach out to them? How can I sit idly by and watch in pain and return to Wakanda as if (there is nothing) to see at all?

Who am I? A War Dog who will (not leave) the Lost Tribe behind again.

Who are you my son? You will be ask this one day and know the (answer):

N'Jadaka, son of N'Jobu"

• Love 6

I just watched this again, and Michael B. Jordan impressed me even more. I wish he'd had a role where he could continue in  the series. He and Chadwick Boseman had amazing chemistry. 

And on a shallow note, has anyone ever had as beautiful skin as Lupita Nyong'o? She looks like a porcelain doll, but in a good way. 

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

I just watched this again, and Michael B. Jordan impressed me even more. I wish he'd had a role where he could continue in  the series. He and Chadwick Boseman had amazing chemistry. 

And on a shallow note, has anyone ever had as beautiful skin as Lupita Nyong'o? She looks like a porcelain doll, but in a good way. 

I loved seeing all of that melanin on the screen.. Just beautiful..  Daniel Kaluuya also has beautiful skin... He glowed at the Oscars. The whole cast was luminous.

I wonder if T'Challa buried Killmonger in the ocean like he requested.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Probably, he's the noble sort. I'd have had him turned into fertilizer for those beds of the heart-shaped herb he ordered burned.

T'Challa should have buried him with his dad in Oakland.  Neither of those two should be buried in Wakanda.  At least, in death, they would be together..

• Love 1

Black Panther has officially passed Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2, to reclaim the ninth spot, on the list of the highest grossing films of all time.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, ursula said:

I really want to believe that an advanced civilization like Wakanda had the sense to preserve a back-up store of heart-shaped herb seeds. 

They probably got complacent, in not preserving, the seeds, because only those of Royal blood can take it. Any common Wakandan would die instantly, if they took it.

Since T'Challa is the Black Panther, he could always ask Bast, to grow more. He has direct access to her.  It would be a full circle moment, if we see T'Challa commune with her and she gives him access to some hidden heart-shaped herbs in Wakanda. 

I had a double MCU header this weekend. Saw this on Friday and Avengers: Infinity War on Sunday.

It was really very, very good. But. Not great. Wanna know why? NOT.ENOUGH.T'CHALLA. I understand and appreciate (Boy can I appreciate!) the world building. But it seemed T'Challa disappeared for a good chunk. Me no likey.

Angela was the BOMB. And like someone else up thread stated, seeing her with her white hair, made me shake my fists that Fox couldn't convince her/sweeten the pot enough for her to agree to play Storm. I even imagined her in the role as I drove home.

Who knew Winston could bring it and also make me laugh? All he did on Person of Interest was talk, talk, talk, talk in a sonorous boring way until he put me to sleep.

Michael B. Jordan does nothing for me. Blasphemy, I know. But that said, he did a very good job as Erik? Killmonger. But while I understood where he was coming from, I have no sympathy for the adult Killmonger.

I love Shuri. And Okoye. And Nakia. Hell, I think I love almost everyone in Wakanda.

I love that we got two credit scenes.

It's amazing that it's still in the theaters in the same week it was released on dvd/blu ray. I need to see it again, because idiot me chose row F instead of D, so I couldn't make out the translation on screen. But I doubt it's still playing. I need to check.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was really very, very good. But. Not great. Wanna know why? NOT.ENOUGH.T'CHALLA. I understand and appreciate (Boy can I appreciate!) the world building. But it seemed T'Challa disappeared for a good chunk. Me no likey.

I hope we see more of him in Black Panther 2. I know everybody was gaga over Killmonger, but, I loved T'Challa more.  I loved his internal struggle of being a good king and a good man. 

I also think that a lot of T'Challa scenes were cut out. I wanted to see more of the scene where he reclaimed his throne and everybody was waiting for him.  Plus, I wanted to see Lupita in that beautiful green dress. I saw a picture of her in that dress online and it was stunning. I wanted to see it on the big screen.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't feel T'Challa was short-changed because through Shuri, Nakia, Okoye, even W'kabi, I got to know more about the kind of man T'Challa was. 

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Calling Shuri the best Disney Princess?  You ain't going to get much argument.

Princess Leia....

I'll be happy to have the debate 20 years from now with girls who grew up on Shuri being their badass Princess.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 11

So, I finally watched it. I'm not much for going to the movies anymore, so I tend to wait until I can watch at home. So, my comments might be similar to others. Or not. I will read the thread eventually but I can't right now.

My overall impression: So beautiful. Finally, the women are actual characters! Although, really, it takes killing your cousin until you listen to your ex-girlfriend?

22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Who knew Winston could bring it and also make me laugh? All he did on Person of Interest was talk, talk, talk, talk in a sonorous boring way until he put me to sleep.

Michael B. Jordan does nothing for me. Blasphemy, I know. But that said, he did a very good job as Erik? Killmonger. But while I understood where he was coming from, I have no sympathy for the adult Killmonger.

I was looking for him afterwards on IMDB because I couldn't believe that was the same guy who bored me to death on Person of Interest. I remember thinking he has such presence, why are they making him just stand around and talk all day.

I like Michael B. Jordan and he did a wonderful job. What disappointed me was that they had him die at the end. There could have been something between being locked up and dying. There was for the Winter Soldier. That after-credit scene cemented that for me. This is where these movies are just really formulaic and hampered by the genre. There is always a designated bad guy and they always have to die at the end. I guess a redemption narrative is only available if you are Captain America's friend. Or your name is Tony Stark.

So, that was disappointing. Up until then, it made for a wonderful case for how a person's early life experiences can shape them in adulthood and how they do things. It doesn't excuse their actions but I was hoping for more than a sad scene at the end when he dies.

And they could have added that T'Chaka could have taken care of his nephew from afar without compromising Wakanda, if he really thought its safety was dependent on this. Having said that, the scene between T'Challa and T'Chaka was very powerful when he exclaimed: you were wrong! Even if Killmonger hadn't grown up to be, well Killmonger, he still was wrong to abandon the kid.

Can we just address the fact that Wakanda is a monarchy with rather medieval customs about succession? For a supposed modern society, this was kind of a rhino in the room. So, as long as the country is rich and isolated, people don't care about how they wish to be governed? As I said, there were a lot of interesting topics in this movie but that genre really stops them from exploring them.

I can't be the only one thinking during the scene between Klau and Ross: Gollum and Bilbo! Back together at last!

Why was Ross there anyway? Audience stand-in? To make the point that they don't have much of a choice in opening up Wakanda? I think that actually takes away from the point of that particular narrative thread.

I think a lot of my nitpicking is due to the fact that it dragged in places and gave me time to think more about those issues. Or not.

Despite all that, I loved it and will watch again. It made me wonder about the whole thing a lot. M'Baku and his merry men of vegetarians, putting people on ice in a society supposedly technologically very advanced that they can put the Winter Soldier in stasis but have to bury the king in snow. Did they start a movement to abandon all technology? Some sort of back-to-nature kind of thing? How did Killmonger find his way in? I think I missed parts because I didn't put the subtitles on. As a second language English speaker, I'm just not very good with accents.

What about the Rhinos? Why do the farmlands where W'Kabi lives look like they have no electricity or running water?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Can we just address the fact that Wakanda is a monarchy with rather medieval customs about succession? For a supposed modern society, this was kind of a rhino in the room. So, as long as the country is rich and isolated, people don't care about how they wish to be governed? As I said, there were a lot of interesting topics in this movie but that genre really stops them from exploring them.

You have to remember that Wakanda never had the awful legacy of the slave trade and European colonialism that other African nations experienced.  So, they were able to create their own society, on their own terms, without the backdrop of European influences. The United States is the only former colony that has thrived, due to adopting imperialist ambitions of their former colonizer England. 

What about the Rhinos? Why do the farmlands where W'Kabi lives look like they have no electricity or running water?

That is all a front to keep European powers out. They pretend to be a poor, third world country with nothing to offer to the world.  I am pretty sure where the border tribe lives, they have access to Wakandan technology.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6

Despite all that, I loved it and will watch again. It made me wonder about the whole thing a lot. M'Baku and his merry men of vegetarians, putting people on ice in a society supposedly technologically very advanced that they can put the Winter Soldier in stasis but have to bury the king in snow. Did they start a movement to abandon all technology? Some sort of back-to-nature kind of thing? How did Killmonger find his way in? I think I missed parts because I didn't put the subtitles on. As a second language English speaker, I'm just not very good with accents.

The Jabaris don't worship the Panther Goddess Bast, so, they don't use Vibranium, like the rest of Wakanda.  They eschew technology. They have their own culture, traditions, religion, and  language. M'Baku speaks ibo, as a first language, it is why his accent sounds very different from the rest of Wakanda.  The Wakandans speak Xhosa.  In the comics, the Dora milaje speak Hausa, as well. 

Killmonger is the son of the Prince, N'jobu.  I still find it unbelievable that he was able to come in and stage a coup, in one day.  T'Challa was king and it was too late for him to challenge him.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

M'Baku speaks ibo, as a first language, it is why his accent sounds very different from the rest of Wakanda.  The Wakandans speak Xhosa.  In the comics, the Dora milaje speak Hausa, as well. 

I thought the Dora Milaje were a collection from the different tribes of their strongest female warriors? According to the DVD, Okoye is from the Border Tribe. (That's why the rhino licked her. He's as much hers as W'kabi).

M'Baku and his merry men of vegetarians, putting people on ice in a society supposedly technologically very advanced that they can put the Winter Soldier in stasis but have to bury the king in snow. Did they start a movement to abandon all technology? Some sort of back-to-nature kind of thing?

It seems so. M'baku's rant at the waterfall about "your technological advancements" seemed to dissociate Wakanda tech from the Jobari. I don't believe they're completely cut-off from tech. Their tribe would never have survived for this long as technically an enclave in Wakanda, if they didn't tap enough into the tech to assert their sovereignty. At the very least, living so high up in the mountains, they'd need something besides fur to keep themselves warm. 

I thought it was significant that Nakia called him King M'baku and T'Challa called him Lord M'baku. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ursula said:

I thought the Dora Milaje were a collection from the different tribes of their strongest female warriors? According to the DVD, Okoye is from the Border Tribe. (That's why the rhino licked her. He's as much hers as W'kabi).

They are. They speak the Hausa language amongst each other, in the comics.

• Love 1

Killmonger is the son of the Prince, N'jobu.  I still find it unbelievable that he was able to come in and stage a coup, in one day.  T'Challa was king and it was too late for him to challenge him.

I got the impression that anyone can challenge the sitting monarch at any given time (especially if they're also of royal blood, as Killmonger was), but the sitting monarch is under zero obligation to accept the challenge. Didn't Ramonda tell T'Challa just to say no? I took it to be that the only time the monarch has to respond to a challenge is actually before they are the monarch--when they are the heir apparent and the throne is vacant.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ursula said:

I thought it was significant that Nakia called him King M'baku and T'Challa called him Lord M'baku. 

M'Baku is a king and he could take the heart-shape herb. However, I do think that the Jabaris keep tabs on everything that goes on in Wakanda. He knew about challenge day and sought the throne for himself.  He accepted his defeat with grace and dignity.  So, the Jabaris accept T'Challa, as the king of Wakanda.  I would love to see M'baku outside of Wakanda on a mission with T'Challa, it would be a hoot to see his reactions and interactions with people outside of Wakanda.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I got the impression that anyone can challenge the sitting monarch at any given time (especially if they're also of royal blood, as Killmonger was), but the sitting monarch is under zero obligation to accept the challenge. Didn't Ramonda tell T'Challa just to say no? I took it to be that the only time the monarch has to respond to a challenge is actually before they are the monarch--when they are the heir apparent and the throne is vacant.

True. It bothered me that T'Challa rolled over so fast. He should have told the council about N'Jobu's initial betrayal and why his dad did what he did, as bad as it was. He also should have told them that Killmonger took Klaue away from him and tried to kill Nakia, Okoye and innocent civilians.  He should have also stressed that Killmonger was still an outsider, who knows nothing about Wakanda, despite, being the son of a Prince.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

M'Baku is a king and he could take the heart-shape herb. However, I do think that the Jabaris keep tabs on everything that goes on in Wakanda. He knew about challenge day and sought the throne for himself.  He accepted his defeat with grace and dignity.  So, the Jabaris accept T'Challa, as the king of Wakanda.  I would love to see M'baku outside of Wakanda on a mission with T'Challa, it would be a hoot to see his reactions and interactions with people outside of Wakanda.  

I wonder if M'Baku might have some heart shaped herb hidden away somewhere.

From the impact the Jabaris' entrance into the civil war at the end made, I'd assume they have plenty of advanced technology of their own and just object to the overall nation having a teenage girl in charge of R&D.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

You have to remember that Wakanda never had the awful legacy of the slave trade and European colonialism that other African nations experienced.  So, they were able to create their own society, on their own terms, without the backdrop of European influences. The United States is the only former colony that has thrived, due to adopting imperialist ambitions of their former colonizer England. 

That is all a front to keep European powers out. They pretend to be a poor, third world country with nothing to offer to the world.  I am pretty sure where the border tribe lives, they have access to Wakandan technology.

Actually the US is one of the worst hit (along with Australia) where the native, indigenous cultures were almost wiped out. A lot of them managed to hang on to their native cultures.

55 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

True. It bothered me that T'Challa rolled over so fast. He should have told the council about N'Jobu's initial betrayal and why his dad did what he did, as bad as it was. He also should have told them that Killmonger took Klaue away from him and tried to kill Nakia, Okoye and innocent civilians.  He should have also stressed that Killmonger was still an outsider, who knows nothing about Wakanda, despite, being the son of a Prince.

It definitely feeds into the "you're a good man and it's hard for a good man to be King" warning that T'Chaka gave him. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

I like Michael B. Jordan and he did a wonderful job. What disappointed me was that they had him die at the end. There could have been something between being locked up and dying. There was for the Winter Soldier. That after-credit scene cemented that for me. This is where these movies are just really formulaic and hampered by the genre. There is always a designated bad guy and they always have to die at the end. I guess a redemption narrative is only available if you are Captain America's friend. Or your name is Tony Stark.

So, that was disappointing. Up until then, it made for a wonderful case for how a person's early life experiences can shape them in adulthood and how they do things. It doesn't excuse their actions but I was hoping for more than a sad scene at the end when he dies.

And they could have added that T'Chaka could have taken care of his nephew from afar without compromising Wakanda, if he really thought its safety was dependent on this. Having said that, the scene between T'Challa and T'Chaka was very powerful when he exclaimed: you were wrong! Even if Killmonger hadn't grown up to be, well Killmonger, he still was wrong to abandon the kid.

I can't be the only one thinking during the scene between Klau and Ross: Gollum and Bilbo! Back together at last!

Why was Ross there anyway? Audience stand-in? To make the point that they don't have much of a choice in opening up Wakanda? I think that actually takes away from the point of that particular narrative thread.

I think a lot of my nitpicking is due to the fact that it dragged in places and gave me time to think more about those issues. Or not.

The difference is that The Winter Soldier was a brainwashed slave soldier of the Soviets and Hydra and Bucky Barnes, the White Wolf's only crime under his own agency was to resist arrest when the GSG9 had a kill order on him. To put Eric Killmonger in Bucky Barnes' category takes away from his own agency from him and make him a slave as The Winter Soldier was.

Killmonger found his way into Wakanda by flying to the border guard outpost with the body of the man wanted for killing the border guard commander's father in order to get an audience before the council with the commander as his patron.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, supposebly said:

That doesn't bother me, because for Killmonger's character, this was the way his story was going: Victory or Death.

The United States still runs on an 18th century electoral system that has more than a few touches of aristocracy.  As long as enough people are comfortable, and the government runs well enough, people tend to stick with what they got.

During filming they referred to themselves as the "Tolkien White Boys"

• Love 6
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Lugal said:

That doesn't bother me, because for Killmonger's character, this was the way his story was going: Victory or Death.

Agreed. I totally bought it when he told T'Challa NOT to save him, and totally bought that Killmonger himself thought it was more merciful to let him die rather than keep him in captivity forever. How could he not, given everything we know about him?

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ursula said:

Well Loki survived to be a kind of anti-hero so...

Loki kind of started as an anti-hero. Yes, he manipulates the events of Thor, but I think we can all admit that Odin is the true villain of the Thor series. His epically bad parenting and leadership is the impetus for the events of Thor and Ragnarok. It is the MCU, which is the home of massively crappy parents.

I would say that Killmonger is more similar to Loki than the Winter Soldier. Both were told about their birthright and both had that denied. And in that way, it is a bit ridiculous that Loki had 4.1 films to go out on a heroic note. But I agree with @Lugal that Killmonger would chose death before captivity.

• Love 5
(edited)
42 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Agreed. I totally bought it when he told T'Challa NOT to save him, and totally bought that Killmonger himself thought it was more merciful to let him die rather than keep him in captivity forever. How could he not, given everything we know about him?

However, if he was healed of his wounds. He would still have the powers of the Black Panther. He could have been a threat to T'Challa. It was also advantageous for T'Challa, to let him die. The insurrection that  Killmonger engendered in Wakanda would die with him. Plus, it would also serve, as a warning, to anybody who would try to go against T'Challa and his rule.

Edited by Apprentice79
(edited)

Watched the gag reel and Angela Bassett dressed in her Queen Ramonda regalia saying to Letitia that "this is some exciting shit happening" was AWESOME!! 

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 7