Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

On 2/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, VCRTracking said:

Synopsis: The heartbreaking story of a white arms dealer who is tragically killed after getting mixed up in the political struggles of an African nation

It's funny for many reasons . . . like how Klaue only had the one arm.

I can't see Black Panther getting the bigger awards. It'll have to "settle" for the highest-grossing film of 2018 in the U.S., and perhaps the MCU movie with the biggest impact.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Raja said:

I blamed the king myself after watching the battle with a veteran's eyes 

I saw that earlier. Considering they had combat aircraft (and rhinos) in Black Panther why not use them. Then again the helicarrier in Avengers was full of fighter jets but they never thought to use them to help fight the Chautari, even though those flying slug things moved really slowly.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I saw that earlier. Considering they had combat aircraft (and rhinos) in Black Panther why not use them. Then again the helicarrier in Avengers was full of fighter jets but they never thought to use them to help fight the Chautari, even though those flying slug things moved really slowly.

This is pretty true to the comics, where Steve is supposed to be a tactical genius, but most of his tactics are just hitting people until they fall down and refusing to give up combined with a superhuman ability to inspire people to fight on his side.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

For the Avengers I can head canon that after Loki's attack and the Hulk's rampage the carrier wasn't mission capable. It took all they had for the quinjet with the Avengers and the two F-35s  that the SHIELD/Hydra to get airborne.

As for Wakanda it was like the big kid never having to learn to fight. If  their technology failed to stop the enemy an experienced army would take them easily 

• Love 1
On 4/2/2019 at 4:32 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

They didn't even need Wakandan or SHIELD tech to change the tide. Good old American close air support in the form of a A-10 squadron or a couple of C-130 Spectres would have been a hell of a lot more effective than War Machine and Falcon. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, Perfect Xero said:

This is pretty true to the comics, where Steve is supposed to be a tactical genius, but most of his tactics are just hitting people until they fall down and refusing to give up combined with a superhuman ability to inspire people to fight on his side.

Of course Captain Rogers was a WWII veteran but only the Red Skull was available to make Captain America sweat. I was wondering where the "skill" was acquired in his  fight against Batroc. However leading a special forces squad should be right up his alley, even if his and the Howling Commandos support units didn't have the accuracy we have today.

At least King T'Challa  had to prepare his entire life for the day his father died and the potential martial challenge came. So the Black Panther would have reason to single combat skills along with his technology.

Edited by Raja
(edited)
8 hours ago, Raja said:

Of course Captain Rogers was a WWII veteran but only the Red Skull was available to make Captain America sweat. I was wondering where the "skill" was acquired in his  fight against Batroc. However leading a special forces squad should be right up his alley, even if his and the Howling Commandos support units didn't have the accuracy we have today.

I looked it up and the MCU timeline says 2 years between Avengers and Winter Soldier, so probably longer that Cap was defrosted. He seems like a guy who constantly wants to learn and improve himself (the pop culture list would also suggest that). So 2 years to improve your fighting skill doesn't seem like much of a stretch, especially when your body is already at peak human performance. Plus it is not like he has a regular day job that would take away from his training.

I also read somewhere how in Avengers Cap is riding in a Quinjet and someone else is flying but in Civil War (or was it Age of Ultron) he can fly a Quinjet. This also backs up that Cap keeps improving himself.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

4 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

For the umpteenth time, fuck cancer 🙁

Just now, starri said:

And fuck 2020.

I came to share. So sad. That’s so young omg. Did they finish the second Black Panther film?

3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I came to share. So sad. That’s so young omg. Did they finish the second Black Panther film?

I don't believe they were to start filming the second film until 2021. 

I can't believe it. Heartbroken for his family and friends.

6 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

I don't believe they were to start filming the second film until 2021. 

And you know, I always thought it was odd that they scheduled filming so late, especially considering how hugely successful the film was and all the momentum it had. I wonder now if they had to work around Chadwick's health.

It's crazy but I remember especially during last year's Oscars thinking how small he looked, especially since he'd been in an action film but I didn't think anything of it. Because I didn't think he looked sickly per se, just very thin.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

I’m in disbelief. So shocking and tragic. 

5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And you know, I always thought it was odd that they scheduled filming so late, especially considering how hugely successful the film was and all the momentum it had. I wonder now if they had to work around Chadwick's health.

I remember last year there were rumors that he wanted out of his Marvel contract. Now I wonder if someone heard about a contingency plan and jumped to the wrong conclusion. 

Holy shit!  This was one of the times I literally didn't believe it when it first popped up on my feed and at first thought "Well, this is some weird fake... wait, what?!" when I read it.  This is just so tragic.  Even before he rightfully gain fame for this film, I remember him popping up in various shows I watched and also getting a kick out of him barely suppressing a grin during the hilariously ridiculous Gods of Egypt film with Gerard Butler.  It's tragic no matter what, but watching him finally get his big break and be in the spotlight after working so hard is just so crushing.  

Going to have to process this some more, but until then, joining the chorus to fuck both cancer and this hell scape that the year 2020 has apparently become.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m in disbelief. So shocking and tragic. 

I remember last year there were rumors that he wanted out of his Marvel contract. Now I wonder if someone heard about a contingency plan and jumped to the wrong conclusion. 

I was thinking this morning that someone at Marvel had to know.  I can't imagine that they'd have written a whole film knowing that the lead was battling cancer.  I heard last night that the Black Panther comic had more than one Black Panther and that at one time it was Shuri?  I makes me wonder if they have a script in mind with another character taking the lead, just in case. 

This one is hitting me hard, too.  He was so young, so beautiful, so talented and seemed so nice (and by all accounts he was).  What a great loss. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Shannon L. said:

I was thinking this morning that someone at Marvel had to know.  I can't imagine that they'd have written a whole film knowing that the lead was battling cancer. 

I imagine they would have had to know. Infinity War and Endgame were shot at the same time and after he was diagnosed. Those movies would have been insured for a ridiculous amount, so I think they would have need to have known if an actor playing a major character was sick.

• Love 9

I imagine they would have had to know. Infinity War and Endgame were shot at the same time and after he was diagnosed. Those movies would have been insured for a ridiculous amount, so I think they would have need to have known if an actor playing a major character was sick.

Yes. Every principal actor has to have a physical from a doctor in order to insure the movie. The higher ups knew but he didn’t want it public (understandable). Given he was diagnosed 4yrs ago he may have been in remission during filming. 

One thing about the pandemic is that it's allowed many celebrities to be all but invisible the last few months. Because of this, many were able to miss how physically ill Chadwick had gotten, including myself. But I saw an old post from April  I think, on another board last night, after the news came, where Chadwick did an IG post talking about Jackie Robinson . And yeah, had I seen that post back then, the news would not have been as shocking.  Many of the comments in that post were just hoping he was losing weight for a role, because they didn't want to believe that he likely could have been very ill. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I was shocked and really sad when I heard :(. 

Maybe Disney did know he was sick in hindsight. It seemed odd that they would wait so long to do a sequel for Blackpanther when it was a such a hit. Maybe they were hoping he'll be better by the sequel :(.  A possibly also explaining his few scenes overall in Infinity war/endgame. That being said it's also possible they didn't, as it's private information.

• Love 1

I’m so heartbroken about this. My first exposure to Chadwick wasn’t Black Panther, I always followed his work and loved him. I was so happy when he was casted as T’Challa/Black Panther and I loved his movie and appearances in the MCU. He seemed like such a great person. I’m really depressed from this news cause even though I know that time is so fleeting and nothing is promised to us. I thought we had more time to see his craft expend. I thought we would see more of those roles he made iconic 😞 

I remember him looking really thin and people did assume that it was for a role. People also made horrible comments about his weight and how he was looking. A lot of people have said this and it should continue to be said, but we never know what people are going through. We can’t possibly imagine the battles they are fighting. So I hope people remember that. 

This one hurts so much. I’m trying to at least take comfort that after 4yrs that he gets to rest from one hard fought battle. He also left an amazing legacy behind and so many people love him. 

• Love 10

People on social media don't want him to be recast. I think that's fair: just have Shuri or Okoye take over the Black Panther persona. Or odds are they just do a new male male character for the movie.

Either way, Black Panther 2 had better be dedicated to Chadwick.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

People on social media don't want him to be recast. I think that's fair: just have Shuri or Okoye take over the Black Panther persona. Or odds are they just do a new male male character for the movie.

I think that's fair, too.  They had to have had a contingency plan for the script, just in case.  I wouldn't mind either of those women taking over as BP.   Also, and I hesitate to bring this up because I know some people are sick of him, but Bucky does have ties to Wakanda now and was called White Wolf, so I could see him being a supporting character (NOT a lead, but having few scenes more than just a cameo).  Christ, it hurts just thinking about this.  He was so damn good (I was shocked to hear he was 43!  I was thinking early to mid 30s at the most).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I think that since the source material has the little sister take over his roles unless the a actress isn't up to the role that would be the story told.

• Love 1

Sadly I wasn't surprised, still a gut punch nonetheless.

Chadwick silently battled Cancer, while filming BP, IW and Endgame.

It will be a long time before I watch.BP again, it will definitely hit different

when I do.

Rest Well Chadwick, you will truly be missed.

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Or M'Baku. They already changed him from a Villain to Hero, they could make him BP.

I agree though, no T'Challa recast that was Chadwick's role, he owned it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I agree though, no T'Challa recast that was Chadwick's role, he owned it.

I think I would be ok with a recast, given a decent amount of time. I think in general with the whole MCU shared universe getting bigger and bigger Marvel needs to come up with kind of a continuity plan either for when things like these happen or when people just don't want to play the characters any more. I mean it is one thing to have a shared universe in the comics where the characters can live forever and have our aged about 14 years since 1961. But it is a bit harder to do in movies where people age and sadly die.   

Plus there are so many great T'Challa stories left to tell. Sure Boseman was amazing, but there are other amazing actors out there. 

• Love 2