Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Ben Drops Beats

• Start Topic

What about that $24 million deficit that the Duggar contract supposedly "owed" TLC that has been bandied about? I suppose that comes in the form of advertisers that TLC was able to place during the Duggar broadcasts; I have no clue how else such a large figure could be reached. But I can see that the Duggars are TLC's biggest, or second biggest draw (didn't pay attention to ratings for The Little Couple this past season), and we all know that means that TLC can charge higher rates to those ad slots. $24 million is a lot of money; I have no concept of how many seasons of the show it would take to generate this kind of revenue. It's not like it's the Super Bowl with million dollar slots. 

• Love 1

There aren't many actual commercials during these shows, it seems. There's many TLC show advertisements though. there was one that was so long I thought another show had come on. And how about the happy birthday Israel clips letting us know we could watch the rest online?

• Love 4

I don't really understand how it works so I can't explain it, but that $24M isn't real money the industry accountants I talked to said.  They didn't lose an actual $24M that they had.  It was more that they didn't earn $24M that they had in projections if I followed it right.  That's still probably not quite the right way to express it.

• Love 13

This is TLC's top rating show. It can probably survive never having advertisers if it gets people watching the adjacent TLC programming. Cancelling J&J:CO will just mean fewer people ever tune into the channel at all.

• Love 6

You explained it right Absolom. The Duggar show was pulling in around $24M per season. They had to cancel a partially filmed season. Accounting for the costs of the partial filming, what TLC lost was probably way under $1M. The numbers discussed in regard to the unaired season was potential income.

From what I have read about reality TV contracts, folks sign away their souls. This new season, IMHO, is based on both the Duggars and TLC wanting to make money. Simple as that.

• Love 7

From what I have read about reality TV contracts, folks sign away their souls. This new season, IMHO, is based on both the Duggars and TLC wanting to make money. Simple as that.

Reality TV performers don't earn residuals, so it's not like the Duggars are still getting paid for those ten years of shows already in the can. TLC was still getting paid, however, via advertising dollars paid to air content that doesn't carry additional production costs.

• Love 3

I have a bad feeling that the poster who said TLC will make up for no advertisers by packing the shows before and after with ads is right.

Nancy's never letting go of this show; she's already shown she's all in no matter what. And my question remains: What scandal will be a "bridge too far" for TLC?

Plus, with all the Joshley Madison foreshadowing, they're building up to his reappearance. Can't wait to see how they'll pull it off. NOT.

You could most definitely be right. But for me the bottom line has got to be whether or not it's making $$ for TLC. And if it continues to gimp along as it has been, Counting On won't be long for this world. Everyone, even the most saturated-in-Koolaid leghumpers, goes weary of things eventually, or has a limit on the amount of boredom and repetition they can stomach etc.

• Love 3

OMG Ben is such a joke as a rapper, singer or inner city minister and you could tell the producers were humoring him BUT it was so nice to see him excited and happy for once re something he wanted to do. That's how 20 yr old are supposed to be - their projects are the biggest things in the world to them whether realistic or not. The whole thing would've been more fun for him if Jessa wasn't sitting there looking like the ice princess w a fake smile on her face.

As for inner city ministering - no chance. He was so shocked by the things inner city kids go thru. If he doesn't understand violence, drugs, broken home and poverty and finds those things "new" and "fascinating" -- what value does he add in those communities?? To say nothing of the white boy wannabe rapper not going over well in certain areas.

These kids are so mind blowingly isolated, judgmental and unexposed. I actually don't think Ben is and he really liked the music session, producers etc. - but the Duggars, man. I love how no kid knew what hip hop was - couldn't describe it, hadn't heard it, yet acted like it was so "below" them -- saying it was "interesting" or that you don't need to be a good singer. Totally laughed at Jessa's Indian lunch. Maybe it's bc I grew up in NJ, but everyone I know has at least one Indian friend, neighbor, or coworker - or if not Indian then at least 1st gen immigrant from somewhere. It isn't so shocking that their parents came from someplace else but they were born and raised in America with both American and ethic traditions.

Wonder if she liked her biryani or whether she was grossed out - though it's really just a fancy chicken and rice. But with the Duggars you never know . . . .

They know what Hip Hop is. They've heard for years via sermons about how evil it is. Don't fall for the okey doke. 

Who is more over who in the Seewald marriage? As much as Bin is a complete goof, Jessa sure could have mustered up a little bit more support. She clearly didn't give two shits. 

To think none of the Duggars have ever sung along in the shower to "Hotline Bling", they don't know how much they are missing out.

This episode was one of the whitest things I have ever experienced.

Seriously just got a mental picture of JD belting this at the top of his lungs while using a shower brush as a mic. 

Ben keeps talking about a long day of travel...I live just outside of St. Louis and it takes five hours to get to Springdale from my front porch. I wouldn't have even hopped on a plane for that.

Dying at these people trying to describe hip hop. This made me realize that they've never even heard hip hop but have been told that it's bad.

They know good and damn well what hip hop is. They were playing stupid to avoid saying what they've actually been indoctrinated with regarding the genre. Hip-hop & Rock n Roll = Satan's soundtrack to these folks. 

There are only three more episodes left in this series, and they have probably already been filmed.

The viewer numbers are OK for the series to continue, but not if the advertising isn't profitable.  Keeping track of all the advertisers who don't want their ads to appear with the Duggars has to be a nightmare for TLC and something it has probably never encountered before.

I strongly suspect that TLC was in someway forced into doing this series from a prior contract.  TLC was in negotiations for an Amy spinoff and a Jill & Jessa spinoff when the 19 Kids and Counting show was canceled.  When the Josh scandals surfaced, Jim Bob stated publicly that the kids shouldn't be punished (by TLC) for what Josh did.  I think that the Jill/Jessa contract had already been signed and TLC had to go through with it for the Jessa birthing special and one season of the spinoff.  Nothing else explains the fact that the show is not about Jim Bob, Michelle, and the younger Duggar kids.

That would explain the social media pictures of Bin & Jessa at the TLC offices all by their lonesome. This was before the scandals. 

• Love 3

They're only allowing it now because they're desperate to keep their TV show afloat. It's all about the Benjamins (the dollars, not the son-in-law.B

But this is not Boob and Mechelle's show anymore. No, they never in a million years would have allowed hip hop on their show, but it's not their show and they're not being paid for it. I think it's a positive step, though -- I hope that for maybe the first time in their lives, at least the adult kids were able to have their eyes opened to the possibility that, in fact, there is no such thing as a demonic rock beat that causes sin and lust. Actually, it's an extraordinarily racist viewpoint, as the standard is basically that if music is European by origin, it's pure, and if it's African, it has a demonic beat.

Jessa does look uncomfortable at ones. I wonder if it was hard for her to be so close to such strongly expressed emotion when V sang. The Duggars repress so much. Maybe she will end up responding.

"Spurgeonator"! Hahaha!

You  know, that's very astute. I thought it was moving how deeply the performers were emotionally affected by their music. I get the impression that Jessa is deeply, deeply repressed and it probably was very uncomfortable for her.

• Love 7

This is TLC's top rating show.

It was for a period of time last year and possibly all year. For years of their show they were not and at one point were on the brink of cancellation.  Then Jim Bob "allowed" a couple of daughters to court.  This calender year so far they are about the same as The Little Couple and that 600 pound show has been doing almost as well.  I think for most of its run Honey Boo Boo was beating the Duggars. 

• Love 5

I thought Jessa looked lost in the recording studio scene. For once, she and her parents and siblings weren't the center of the action, and she had no idea what to do or say. She had the same dopey look on her face that Bin often does.  

• Love 5

I thought Jessa looked lost in the recording studio scene. For once, she and her parents and siblings weren't the center of the action, and she had no idea what to do or say. She had the same dopey look on her face that Bin often does.  

My take on this:  Jessa owns enough knowledge of worldliness to have internalized that she is a comparative bore, and is petrified/intimidated out of her mind by encountering interesting people.  She may even pull some of her bitchery to be thought more interesting than a colorless bore.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 5

I think you give her too much credit in the self-awareness department. Those kids are taught NOT to think about themselves (aside from how worrying that there won't be enough hairspray for them when it's their turn with the can).

• Love 5

Jessa seemed genuinely startled when the producer got all hyped up over the music. I don't think the Duggar kids have ever been allowed to express joy or enthusiasm over anything. They live by so many ridiculous rules and fears, that spontaneity is a foreign concept. There's nothing light hearted or youthful about any of them. They're like a bunch of school marms stuck in 20-something bodies.

• Love 10

So I missed the rapping episode. Did I miss the scene where they ask Jim Bob about rap and he says he never listened to it and didn't allow his children to? Was the next scene a cutaway to Michelle belting out a rather stirring rendition of "Rappers Delight"?

No? Darn I would've paid to see that. I would even put up with parents for that.

• Love 3

Sometimes I think they lied about the no dancing, no frontal hugging etc, just to embellish their godly image. Michelle would occasionally forget about the rule and frontal hug her kids in 19 Kids. And Michelle frontal hugged Jill and Jimbob frontal hugged Derick in this episode. At the very least, they totally got lazy with the rules.

• Love 2

Does anyone know where to find a transcript of what the words were in that rap? I didn't understand 99% of it.

I'm getting up there in age, my hearing isn't what it used to be..but then again I could never understand words in rap songs when I was younger either, so it's probably just me :)

Does anyone know where to find a transcript of what the words were in that rap? I didn't understand 99% of it.

I'm getting up there in age, my hearing isn't what it used to be..but then again I could never understand words in rap songs when I was younger either, so it's probably just me :)

Ben's rap?

10549zb.jpg

• Love 3

Sometimes I think they lied about the no dancing, no frontal hugging etc, just to embellish their godly image. Michelle would occasionally forget about the rule and frontal hug her kids in 19 Kids. And Michelle frontal hugged Jill and Jimbob frontal hugged Derick in this episode. At the very least, they totally got lazy with the rules.

During an interview with Beliefnet, Jim Bob Duggar explained why dancing is something that should only be done by a husband and wife in the privacy of their bedroom.

“As far as dancing, something that we believe—it’s a personal conviction—is that a lot of times, when a guy sees a girl dance, it really can be defrauding to a guy, especially if they’re dressed immodestly. The definition of defrauding would be building up sensual desires that you cannot rightfully fulfill. Now, if my wife and I want to dance privately or something, in our room… Between a husband and wife is fine.”

Ben's visit (without Jessa) to the hip hop concert this week showed him bobbing up and down, clapping his hands, next to tons of girls (not dressed in Duggar-style) bobbing up and down, too.  I guess Ben got defrauded, but he appeared to really be enjoying it.

• Love 6

I'm sure it was enforced for Josh.

• Love 1

Bin didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose him.

I just spit out my coffee. I think I love you for saying this, but only enough to to fist bump. Save the side hug luv for the thugs. *pours some koolaid on the ground for the homies*

• Love 9

I just spit out my coffee. I think I love you for saying this, but only enough to to fist bump. Save the side hug luv for the thugs. *pours some koolaid on the ground for the homies*

When a 40 just won't do. Although I bet Mechelle would still find a way to protest it. 

• Love 3

Bin looks like he really trying hard to take a shit. He looks constipated.

I wish I had the talent to juxtapose Ben's pic with a sceenshot of King Louis XV constipated on the crapper during last week's episode of Outlander. EPIC! 

• Love 4

DYING

Ben's rap?

10549zb.jpg

Dear White Fundie People,

NO-animated-gif.gif?gs=a

I would so buy a t-shirt with this on it! Bet they would sell better than the crappy shirts Ben's been promoting lately. 

• Love 6

Reading all these comments made me want to watch this.  But I just couldn't do it.  Tonight I flipped in on for about 10 minutes or even a little less.  I want to know why these young adults don't have even the most basic grammar skills.  A few weeks back, JD said that Jana was "a excellent" twin.  Tonight he did it again, used "a" instead of "an".  Then Bin said that Flame was giving him "a inside look".  Bugs me no end.  Did anybody else notice that?

And the stupid "care package" made me laugh.  Anna seems so strange to me, going on and on about fly swatters, because we all know, those can't possibly be purchased at the closest Walmart.  Oh, that's right.  Jill and Caveman are "in the field."  Then Anna gives her stupid "double thumbs up". 

Jessa looked so uncomfortable.  It's a shame these young adults are so socially inept.

Then I was over it.  Refused to watch any of the new episode because I am afraid somehow TLC would know, and I would be contributing to ratings.

I can't believe that TLC would possibly renew this show for a second season.  Give it up, already. 

Ben needs to put his mad skillz to work and preach in Philly. I'd watch that.

Hell, we would even put him up, free room and board.

Perhaps he could even take a religion class or 2 at Temple, where my son (who also is named Ben) goes to school.

Just imagine. Gothard fundie comes to Philly, lives with atheist heathens, and preaches to inner city youth.

TLC, get on this....

(Edit...I put this in the wrong place, I don't know how to move it, eek. It's supposed to be with "Ben Drops Beats"..)

Edited by phoenix62

Oh, that's right...he's not gothard, he's Vision Forum? Or they one and the same?

Still. He needs to come to Philly, he doesn't even need to go to the bad neighborhoods. Center City could be a start, in the gayborhood :-)

• Love 5

Oh, that's right...he's not gothard, he's Vision Forum? Or they one and the same?

Still. He needs to come to Philly, he doesn't even need to go to the bad neighborhoods. Center City could be a start, in the gayborhood :-)

Very similar in most regards but Vision is less restricting - especially towards women and youth. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick Gothard or Vision, I'd go Vision without a second thought.

Signed,

an atheist.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 5

I live in a rapidly gentrifying inner city neighborhood and have been approached by many a Mormon missionary. But now that the majority of my neighborhood is populated by young, white hipsters, the missionaries have disappeared.

• Love 1

First of all....

WHAT in the WHODILLY fuck was that?  Ben RAPPING?   SERIOUSLY?

Now, if my wife and I want to dance privately or something, in our room… Between a husband and wife is fine.

To quote "Flashdance"......

Do you do the horizontal Mambo?

2 hours ago, Porterest said:

I'm a lurker here, though I was a little more active in TWOP days. I've read yet another mention of Jana and the jewelry box. What happened?

I'll answer this post in the 19 questions and counting.

(edited)

I'm dying to know why nobody asked Jessa Blessa why she wanted a Jacuzzi in the treehouse when the thing is open to the world. Maybe she thinks this will give her "career" the boost it needs, kind of like Kim Kardashian's sex tape...

Edited by Missy Vixen
Basic grammar skills are a good thing...
  • Love 2
On 5/11/2016 at 2:38 PM, Teena said:

First of all....

WHAT in the WHODILLY fuck was that?  Ben RAPPING?   SERIOUSLY?

To quote "Flashdance"......

Do you do the horizontal Mambo?

I'm on a mission to use this before my week is over. Thank you for adding to my vocabulary. =)

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:21 PM, Missy Vixen said:

I'm dying to know why nobody asked Jessa Blessa why she wanted a Jacuzzi in the treehouse when the thing is open to the world. Maybe she thinks this will give her "career" the boost it needs, kind of like Kim Kardashian's sex tape...

Eh, Jessa probably gets in the Jacuzzi fully clothed.

• Love 6
On 5/16/2016 at 1:21 PM, Missy Vixen said:

My theory is she wants the chance MEchelle had to defraud a neighbor while she's still young. So she can repeat the story over.and.over.and.over.

Only problem is, isn't their closest neighbor a garbage dump?  Who's she going to defraud?

• Love 1

When they were all trying to describe hip-hop, I was totally expecting one of them to whisper... "It's the devil's music."  You know it's what they were all thinking because they've been taught that anything that doesn't originate from the TTH is the devil's work and is to be avoided at all costs.