Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Ben Drops Beats

• Start Topic

Oh, Flame's also deleting any critical comments left on his Facebook. So much for being non-judgmental. He's apparently not the live and let live type. Why am I not surprised?

The very first entry in my FB page search for "Flame" was a gay bar! That makes me happier than words can convey.

Jessa's discomfort was palpable. She is obviously never going to be into hip hop, and wouldn't make it 5 minutes ministering to inner city folk. Neither would Ben, of course. They are pampered country folk who are so far removed from a life like Flame had growing up it's not even funny. Jessa can't hide her smug superiority for a second. Stick with what you know, and who you can relate to, kids.

• Love 12

I'm catching this on the 11 p.m. replay.  Jesus H. Christ, this is hilarious.  I've been following these yahoos since day one and I just have no words.  Jessa's face says it all.  You know damn well that MEchelle and Jim Boob never, ever, ever would have allowed this when Jessa was living at home.

I nearly woke up the neighbors when Ben entered the booth to "spit some bars."  "DOES ANYBODY HERE BELIEVE THAT?!"  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 12

I noticed a lot of commercials for Advanced Auto Parts (And other TLC shows)

As sexist as it sounds, I think auto parts store ads are typically aimed at men, right?

I cannot imagine my sons or husband watching one second of anything Duggar.

Just seemed like weird Ad placements to me. They're probably scraping the bottom of the barrel of who's willing to advertise on their show. (I hope, I hope)

• Love 6

OMG Ben is such a joke as a rapper, singer or inner city minister and you could tell the producers were humoring him BUT it was so nice to see him excited and happy for once re something he wanted to do. That's how 20 yr old are supposed to be - their projects are the biggest things in the world to them whether realistic or not. The whole thing would've been more fun for him if Jessa wasn't sitting there looking like the ice princess w a fake smile on her face.

As for inner city ministering - no chance. He was so shocked by the things inner city kids go thru. If he doesn't understand violence, drugs, broken home and poverty and finds those things "new" and "fascinating" -- what value does he add in those communities?? To say nothing of the white boy wannabe rapper not going over well in certain areas.

These kids are so mind blowingly isolated, judgmental and unexposed. I actually don't think Ben is and he really liked the music session, producers etc. - but the Duggars, man. I love how no kid knew what hip hop was - couldn't describe it, hadn't heard it, yet acted like it was so "below" them -- saying it was "interesting" or that you don't need to be a good singer. Totally laughed at Jessa's Indian lunch. Maybe it's bc I grew up in NJ, but everyone I know has at least one Indian friend, neighbor, or coworker - or if not Indian then at least 1st gen immigrant from somewhere. It isn't so shocking that their parents came from someplace else but they were born and raised in America with both American and ethic traditions.

Wonder if she liked her biryani or whether she was grossed out - though it's really just a fancy chicken and rice. But with the Duggars you never know . . . .

• Love 13

More on the Flame/Katy Perry lawsuit. I love Flame's claim that his song was "irreparably tarnished by its association with the witchcraft, paganism, black magic, and Illuminati imagery evoked by the same music in ‘Dark Horse.’” Sorry, but this is just hysterical. So is the name of Flame's DJ: Cho'zyn Boy. Seriously.

http://www.urbanfaith.com/2014/07/four-reasons-the-flame-co-v-katy-perry-lawsuit-is-a-bad-idea.html/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

I feel bad for Bin. He is late entering his 'teen' years and all of this type of shit should be playing out in high school and the first years of college, but not on television. His rapping, the fashion choices he makes, the career decisions, those things flip flop as we try to decide who we are, but to be married and have a child BEFORE you figure it out, disaster. Thanks for the great advice dad. I think he has the same romantic illusions of ministering in the inner-city as he did about marrying Jessa. Think about this Bin; if she won't let you go visit your email friend (who needs publicity), alone, how the hell are you going to minister to gangs, hookers, and addicts with Jessa, Spurgeon and your adopted child in tow? 

• Love 21

As for inner city ministering - no chance. He was so shocked by the things inner city kids go thru. If he doesn't understand violence, drugs, broken home and poverty and finds those things "new" and "fascinating" -- what value does he add in those communities?? To say nothing of the white boy wannabe rapper not going over well in certain areas.

This kind of makes me hope we get to follow Jinger into the prison... though we've probably had all the Jinger excitement they think they can stand for one season. If the lady convicts fellowshipping occasionally involves rough-edged stories, I hope Jinger doesn't gape at them.  Acting matter of fact and/or blase on the topic, doesn't mean you're condoning it, Bin.  It just means you're not outwardly or wittingly surprised by anything the human brain can think up, which is a primary goal for a minister.

• Love 2

Once again fell asleep, right before Jessa lunched with Flame's wife. My husband who is not a Duggar watcher per se, will occasionally watch with me. He said to me, "You almost could think that Ben is a little special or something, don't you think?"

• Love 16

I see black people!

Ben sweetie, your wife is not down with "urban" life. That's gonna be quite problematic for your ministry. Us urbanites can tell when we aren't liked. And we won't like your ass back. Damned if I make your collection plate jingle when you cringe at my presence.

Don't we all bring our wedding albums on lunch dates? No? Ok then. That was so scripted it was painful.

I can come to Jessa's defense one tiny bit about her fake grin. Super producer Scrap? Scat? Skittles? Whatever, he was doing way too much to hype his tracks. He was clearly astounded by how brilliant he was in the studio. Recording Spurgeon's voice and looping it? I could have done that on my Casio. Will.I.AM you ain't. In that moment the polite thing for Jessa to do was smile back nicely at the overly excited man.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 22

I found it interesting that when asked Jessa said her favorite type of music is bluegrass. When did this family ever listen to any music of any kind?  Also no one in the family could define hip-hop?  Jinger saying "It's different."  And that's it.  How do they know what kind of music they like - they aren't/weren't allowed to listen to any kind that didn't mention Jesus.

Kanye mentions Jesus. Just sayin.

• Love 6

Decided to watch this episode (why ?) and all I can say is how does this clan have a TV show and how long can it last?

Talk about nothing to film, there is so much repetition that the show could be condensed to just a few minutes without it.

Not only the previews before the commercials (and those plugs for upcoming shows are like shows themselves), but the backtracking after commercials is just filler material.

Add to that the immediate retelling of what just happened: Jessa and her lunch companions discussing the wedding - next scene Jessa explains the wedding and how the groom rode in on a horse; Ben rides with Flame through his childhood neighborhood and they discuss crime in the area - next scene Ben talking about the tour and the rough upbringing Flame had - UGH.

Jessa is so damn smug and entitled. Her nasty attitude was fully apparent when they were boarding the plane and walking down the aisle to their seats. What a bitch, the look on her face was so smug and she looks frumpy like Michelle.

Ben at least has some curiosity, not that he can do much about it. The Duggars are so isolated and undereducated that they seldom show curiosity about anything. 

Anna in the previews talking about Josh is gross. NO ONE cares but you Anna, go off with your redeemed JoshUa and keep quiet. Her comment about being 15 minutes away from an engagement if you are over 18 (I paraphrase) was stupid, she will never learn.

Jill continues to be dirty and dumb, some things never change.

Ma and Pa Duggar are slowly inching their way back in to the show.

• Love 16

I thought Ben seemed really happy tonight. I kind of liked it. Jessa seemed pissed that someone else had the spotlight for a few hours. I kind of liked it.

I agree. Ben looked happy, and like he was having fun. Jessa, on the other hand, looked bored/uncomfortable/unhappy/whatever.  the whole time they were in the studio.  She was cringing when she heard Ben's rap; I actually felt bad for him -- she could have pasted on some fake adoration then. 

Neither of them works, right?  I don't understand how they have a relatively nice vehicle, and can afford to fly from here to here (and I agree with an earlier poster -- did they really need to fly there??? Couldn't they have driven???) with no visible means of income.

On an off note....Anna is almost unrecognizable to me these days.

• Love 13

I am not defending Jessa, although I like her more than most, but I've never seen Jessa really comfortable around anyone but Jinger. That includes the rest of her family. I like Jessa because she still show traces of personality and if that personality is smug bitch, so be it.

• Love 5

I'm catching this on the 11 p.m. replay. Jesus H. Christ, this is hilarious. I've been following these yahoos since day one and I just have no words. Jessa's face says it all. You know damn well that MEchelle and Jim Boob never, ever, ever would have allowed this when Jessa was living at home.

They're only allowing it now because they're desperate to keep their TV show afloat. It's all about the Benjamins (the dollars, not the son-in-law.

• Love 7

On an off note....Anna is almost unrecognizable to me these days.

She has 100% morphed herself into looking like a Duggar sister. I don't know how I can possibly find anything weird about them anymore, but this is all very strange to me.

• Love 11

The very first entry in my FB page search for "Flame" was a gay bar! That makes me happier than words can convey.

Jessa's discomfort was palpable. She is obviously never going to be into hip hop, and wouldn't make it 5 minutes ministering to inner city folk. Neither would Ben, of course. They are pampered stunted country folk who are so far removed from a life like Flame had growing up it's not even funny. Jessa can't hide her smug superiority for a second. Stick with what you know, and who you can relate to, kids.

I added a missing word.

• Love 2

I have been a hate watcher snarker ect ect of the Duggars for years...literally for years ( like, 6+ years)  and I am embarrassed to admit that I was actually a little entertained for the first time EVER and it was only during the Bin and Jessa segment. Can we give Flame a show? Following a music rapper/ minister in St Louis is way more intertaining then watching feral children buil a tree house or throw a baby shower for the 100th time

Fuck, even watching Bin and Jessa just interact with NORMAL PEOPLE who still are just as evangelical as they are ( Flame) was 100 million times more interesting then watching Joy face time Jill. 

Also, no way they went to the actual ghetto in St louis. They should have taken a trip to  East St Louis, one of the most dangerous places in the country. See how comfy Bin would be ministering there! hah! Not a chance they would have been able to film without being harassed/ robbed ect. They probably just went to any random suburb of St louis. lol. Nice try producers. it may have been scary to these country bumpkins but anyone whose lived in a city knows what 'bad' looks like.

And Bin, if your going to try to go to Moody in Chicago and bring your ministry to the good people of Chicago..good luck. LOL. Not only are you totally un-relate able, you seem lacking in not only common sense but also street smarts I am pretty sure an 8 year old could rob you. lol. I live here. You wouldn't even relate to our conservative christian people with your cult upbringing, never mind a poor inner city kid who lives with grandma. You are better off ministering to the poor in your own state. Its ridiculous and almost scary he thinks he would be of any help lol. He needs to get out in the real world and live off his Father in laws propery. How about you get an apartment in Chicago and get some life experience. 

The rest of the episode, SNOOZE. Seriously

Oh, and JInger/Jana /Ana/ Jboy  were completely condescending IMO in there descriptions of hip hop. " its one of a kind" with an eye roll? Really? Jinger you have the worlds most ridiculous name grew up in a fundamentalist cult , you cant even go to the grocery store without a babysitter and you say hip hop is one of kind with an eye roll? Not cure or endearing. Sit down.Ugh they make me sick.

Joy was the only one that I thought was genuine in not knowing what hip hop was lol. The rest kind of a had judgey undertones to their descriptions. 

At least BIn and Jessa ( because of Bin) are actually going out and trying new things and meeting people who weren't cult members. I actually thought Bin was kind of funny and liked seeing him sing horribly. IDK maybe im crazy. LOL. I actually liked it. Ill see myself out. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 11

And Bin, if your going to try to go to Moody in Chicago and bring your ministry to the good people of Chicago..good luck. LOL. Not only are you totally un-relate able, you seem lacking in not only common sense but also street smarts I am pretty sure an 8 year old could rob you. lol. I live here. You wouldn't even relate to our conservative christian people with your cult upbringing, never mind a poor inner city kid who lives with grandma. You are better off ministering to the poor in your own state. Its ridiculous and almost scary he thinks he would be of any help lol. He needs to get out in the real world and live off his Father in laws propery. How about you get an apartment in Chicago and get some life experience. 

Bin being robbed by an 8 year old in the "inner city".... I would watch this a thousand times!  

Regarding the suggestion to get an apartment for some life experience?  Best advice ever.  How he thinks ANYone would listen to anything he had to say is absurd.   What has he accomplished?  I'll wait....  Still waiting.... Umm, while I wait for responses (might be the entire bus ride to hell) he has zero credibility because he has been through nothing and accomplished nothing.  Getting married as soon as you hit legal adulthood and making a baby while living under your wife's daddys roof is NOT life experience.  For real.  Get a job, (as in, a job where you clock in and out and receive a real life paycheck from anyone other than Duggar Enterprises or TLC) get a roof over your family's head (again, one separate from Duggar Enterprises) and grow the hell up.  Then you can give advice to others.  

He's so arrogant that I don't think he understands how ignorant he sounds, nor that no one takes him seriously.  Sad.

• Love 16

Are those baby car seat boxes with head holes a common thing?

When "Spec" started laughing at the blonde lady's song, Jessa looked like she wanted to flee. This is clearly not her type of thing. Ben's tortured "does anybody here believe that", and the Cher autotune, I had to laugh. Jessa seemed almost relieved at lunch with the Indian suburbanites.

I wonder how many of the "what is Hip Hop?" responses weren't really PC enough to make it on tv.

• Love 5

Neither of them works, right?  I don't understand how they have a relatively nice vehicle, and can afford to fly from here to here (and I agree with an earlier poster -- did they really need to fly there??? Couldn't they have driven???) with no visible means of income.

Their "jobs" are working for TLC.  This was all an episode production so TLC bought the airplane tickets.  We aren't supposed to remember that though.  :) 

• Love 8

The only two positives I got from this otherwize coma inducing episode.

1) Little Spurgeon seems like a truly happy baby. Hope Jessa doesn't pop out babies like a PEZ dispenser and they enjoy their precious time with him.

2) Jinger really is talented at photography glad to see she has an outlet, hope it leads her away from some of the Duggar insanity. They showed a quick shot on her camera display of the front of that amazing church and it was stunning.

The rest snore, don't care!

• Love 3

I noticed a lot of commercials for Advanced Auto Parts (And other TLC shows)

As sexist as it sounds, I think auto parts store ads are typically aimed at men, right?

I cannot imagine my sons or husband watching one second of anything Duggar.

Just seemed like weird Ad placements to me. They're probably scraping the bottom of the barrel of who's willing to advertise on their show. (I hope, I hope)

On my Seattle TV, there were ZERO commercials! Only TLC upcoming shows.

• Love 6

I'll give credit to Ben for wanting to do something. He looked like an idiot and I was hoping for a car backfiring or a random gunshot to make him pee himself, but whatever.

OMG- absolutely hilarious.

Whoever they cajoled into helping the tree house for free seemed PISSED by the end when he was saying - it's been a LONG day, that's what happens when you keep having to stop to search for tools and parts and then have to wait 5 hrs bc Jed bought the wrong lumber and had to drive all the way back to unload it and load up the right stuff.

Is TLC providing all this equipment - otherwise why do they have it? It doesn't look like the first time they've used it - by why would Jed be so familiar w driving a flat bed lumber truck? I don't think they have any kind of construction business?

• Love 3

I thought the one sincerely adorable part of the night was when Izzy started waving after Jill said "adios." He's a cute kid and seems like a pleasant baby. I don't know why Jill is so stressed over not having her sisters there to help.

Poor JD is so over the stupid treehouse. He looked like he wanted to punch Jessa when she was bitching about insulation and electricity. I'm surprised he hasn't pulled a Milton from Office Space, and lit the thing on fire during the middle of the night.

• Love 13

So this tree house is going to have plumbing, electricity and air conditioning? How about some planning approval and building permits?

They get all the permission they need from the Lord.

Bin being robbed by an 8 year old in the "inner city".... I would watch this a thousand times!  

Regarding the suggestion to get an apartment for some life experience?  Best advice ever.  How he thinks ANYone would listen to anything he had to say is absurd.   What has he accomplished?  I'll wait....  Still waiting.... Umm, while I wait for responses (might be the entire bus ride to hell) he has zero credibility because he has been through nothing and accomplished nothing.  Getting married as soon as you hit legal adulthood and making a baby while living under your wife's daddys roof is NOT life experience.  For real.  Get a job, (as in, a job where you clock in and out and receive a real life paycheck from anyone other than Duggar Enterprises or TLC) get a roof over your family's head (again, one separate from Duggar Enterprises) and grow the hell up.  Then you can give advice to others.  

He's so arrogant that I don't think he understands how ignorant he sounds, nor that no one takes him seriously.  Sad.

This approach runs in his family as it runs in the Duggars'.  Remember the several discussions we've had on here of similar clueless things his sister has written. They've lived every minute of their lives in tiny tiny little not-even-transparent bubbles and yet they feel competent to comment and pronounce judgment on and plans for everything and everybody. Wonder if any of them will ever learn better. .... Seems unlikely, I guess, since their parents haven't, in their 20-to-30 additional years of life.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

I am astounded at Jill's kitchen.  I had to replay that part.  Poor Izzy always seems to have a dirty face--and did he really need a haircut?  I guess it was a plot line.

ETA:  Bin would be so much happier in a standard Southern Baptist church with a youth group and bible study groups.  I've never seen him smile like that to be with people who do something he can relate to.  I remember in our youth group going to an "urban" elementary school and tutoring kids after school.  He should have had experiences like that.  He's in nowheresville now and forever unless he makes a change.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 10

Regarding Anna, I wish she'd go see a therapist and stop bothering her sisters-in-law with her marital problems. Jinger had a look on her face like "are you effing serious?!" when Anna brought up Josh yet again in the preview. I get that Anna is dying for someone to talk to, but it's inappropriate to paint Josh as a sympathetic character when two of his victims are sitting right there. It's too bad Jana is such a weakling because if I were in that position I would've shut it down very quickly.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13

I live in Vegas, which has a wide variety of people. I came from a very white bread part of the country so I can say I went through a learning process that took some time.

Having said that, how in the world do binjermin and blessa think they can relate to inner city people that are 180 degrees different from themselves? You need to be open to lots of viewpoints and experiences. Other people may not appreciate sidehugs, may kiss (and do other things) with people other than the one person they marry and not be ashamed of themselves or worry about going to hell all the livelong day.

Get some real world life experiences in an ACTUAL big city inner city and then you can start yapping about inner city preaching. Until then, shut up and sit down.

• Love 19

Regarding the suggestion to get an apartment for some life experience? Best advice ever. How he thinks ANYone would listen to anything he had to say is absurd. What has he accomplished? I'll wait.... Still waiting.... Umm, while I wait for responses (might be the entire bus ride to hell) he has zero credibility because he has been through nothing and accomplished nothing. Getting married as soon as you hit legal adulthood and making a baby while living under your wife's daddys roof is NOT life experience. For real. Get a job, (as in, a job where you clock in and out and receive a real life paycheck from anyone other than Duggar Enterprises or TLC) get a roof over your family's head (again, one separate from Duggar Enterprises) and grow the hell up. Then you can give advice to others.

He's so arrogant that I don't think he understands how ignorant he sounds, nor that no one takes him seriously. Sad.

So Ben will preaching to the one demographic he understands: the teenaged father? Ben spake: My advice, my son, is to get thee a TV show that you may spread the word of the lord via the airwaves. Have your in-laws support you if the TV show isn't enough. Amen.

• Love 13

Who is more over who in the Seewald marriage? As much as Bin is a complete goof, Jessa sure could have mustered up a little bit more support. She clearly didn't give two shits. 

To think none of the Duggars have ever sung along in the shower to "Hotline Bling", they don't know how much they are missing out.

This episode was one of the whitest things I have ever experienced.

• Love 17

Wow. Tlc is really going down the wrong track with this show. To advertise the ignorance and hubris of the duggar clan, what with the tree house thing and the blessas wanting to preach to inner city people when I doubt they have have ever spent any time with a non-tlc chosen inner city person astounds me.

• Love 7

Their TH's irritate me now, especially the girls. They lie so easily and with smiles. Not cute. You aren't into construction because Jana measured shit out and you carried a board somewhere, you aren't a car flipper who learned at daddy's knee because your brothers did EVERYTHING. Etc Etc!! 

If this season has confirmed anything, it's that God and Jesus have nothing to do with this show. Nothing. 

The only people who seem somewhat genuine are the baby boys, JD, Joseph and actually most of the males with the exception of Bin who was wrangled into the 'inept father' story line. C'mon, we know Bin does all the parenting with the exception of feeding. 

Does Jessa do anything? Is this why Jill is overwhelmed, she had the expectation that her job was lactation? 

Wow. Tlc is really going down the wrong track with this show. To advertise the ignorance and hubris of the duggar clan, what with the tree house thing and the blessas wanting to preach to inner city people when I doubt they have have ever spent any time with a non-tlc chosen inner city person astounds me.

"Is this enough rope JB?" said TLC with a smirk 

• Love 12

I thought the scenes in Central America where Boob could be heard but was never shown were beyond odd. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate not seeing his smug punchable face but they should have just cut the storyline rather than had his disembodied voice. Ack.

• Love 6

Am watching this now. The long flowing hair around power tools does not suggest a whole lot of construction experience.

I wonder what sin Izzy committed to receive the dreaded Alert head-shave from Grandma.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 7

Before setting you to minister to inner city youth, it would behoove Ben to get a job for a yr and use that to support his family and see how life really is. A real one - not with TLC or JB. Something with shift work, where you often get bad shifts, but you take them and are thankful for them bc as your shifts get cut so does your pay; preferably a retail job where he's on his feet all day, has an unsympathetic boss and has to commute 20 miles to get there. Sure the inner cities have lots of problems, but many of those problems stem from poverty and lack of opportunity; it may not even occur to Bin that a good portion of inner city youth who fall into drugs and gangs do so bc there is some life emergency - like mom loses her job - and they need to make quick money to survive and then they get arrested and even if they vow to change, they now of a record, making it even harder to get a job so they keep dealing . . . and the cycle of poverty continues. I'm not sure that having a country bumpkin in a polo sweater telling them to pray harder will have the effect Bin thinks it'll have - having never experienced real life.

Thumbs up to that.

• Love 2

C'mon, we know Bin does all the parenting with the exception of feeding.

Oh, yes. What a arrogant bitch Jessa is, she carried the baby to the changing table and told Bin to change him - she wants no part of that. Jessa delighted in repeating over and over how she does the input and Bin does the output. The look on Bin's face was priceless, he even said he has to think about diaper changing and make himself do it (not his exact wording). 

Binjermin is so over this mess and may never find his way out of it.

• Love 10

Jessa does look uncomfortable at ones. I wonder if it was hard for her to be so close to such strongly expressed emotion when V sang. The Duggars repress so much. Maybe she will end up responding.

"Spurgeonator"! Hahaha!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

With the coming ups and previouslies, I think there was eight minutes of actual content that wasn't repeated. Why are they trying to make this an hour long show? They could do the 30 minute format.

They need the whole hour so they can run more commercials because this show earns so much money from sponsors. Oh, wait ...

• Love 9

Oh, yes. What a arrogant bitch Jessa is, she carried the baby to the changing table and told Bin to change him - she wants no part of that. Jessa delighted in repeating over and over how she does the input and Bin does the output. The look on Bin's face was priceless, he even said he has to think about diaper changing and make himself do it (not his exact wording).

Binjermin is so over this mess and may never find his way out of it.

Yeah, Jessa commanding Bin to change Spurge's diaper was just her way of showing out for the cameras. Bin responded "in a minute" when he really meant "can't you do one fucking thing you lazy ass bitch?" He is so over Jessa and would've been happy as hell to leave her at home when he went to visit Flame.

As derpy as Bin is, at least he seemed like he had an open minded attitude towards the hip hop music. Jessa just sat there with a stank look on her face like she couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Love 17