Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

We recently dropped cable so I've been watching old shows and my favorite of those is Barney Miller. Of course I had to go look up the cast which I expected to be all alive and kicking except maybe Abe Vigoda (I knew Jack Soo was gone). Well I found out that Abe is still alive which is great but my favorite person on the show, Steve Landesberg, died 5 years ago. Now I think I don't want to look up any more casts of old shows. I really wasn't even looking to see who died, I just wanted to see what they've been up to since then.

On another note every time I see John Amos is not dead it shocks me. I forget about him then he pops up somewhere and I have to remind myself that it was his character James on Good Times that died and not him. I think that had a big impact on me as a child when I was watching that show. Does anyone else ever have that problem with an actor that died in a show?

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1

Abe Vigoda was probably the first "celebrity death hoax."   This was pre-internet days.   Some paper reported he had died.   Abe was a bit surprised to read this in the morning papers.

Actually, in 1993, Margaret Klenck (Edwina Lewis on One Life to Live) was the subject of a celebrity death hoax. There was a woman who was really named Edwina Lewis who had died, and the New York Times ran an obituary on poor Margaret Klenck! But she she has said it was pretty cool to get an obit when you're not even dead, so she had a good sense of humor about it.

She was missing for 3 damn weeks before they decided to check the garden. SERIOUSLY. Which is how the boyfriend was able to get out of the country. They were so busy treating it as a missing persons case and not looking around the house, that he was able to not be a suspect and disappear.

Regarding the above, which comments on the murders of British actress Sian Blake & her 2 sons, allegedly by her partner & their father--who then fled to (apparently his home country, I think) Ghana afterwards: People magazine's website has posted an article stating that Scotland Yard has announced the suspect has been arrested in Ghana, & British & Ghanian authorities are now working together on the case.

http://www.people.com/article/dead-eastenders-sian-blake-boyfriend-arthur-simpson-kent-arrested?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Crap, Bowie. It's weird, Scott Weiland passed away a month ago and he was a huge Bowie freak. A whole video was based on "Man Who Fell to Earth"; "Barbarella". I just got done over the past month listening to the STP catalog and now I got to break out the Bowie. He did some great stuff in the 70's. Dammit...

• Love 2

In great surprise/shock about David Bowie, & he wasn't even 1 of my favorite artists though I did like some of his stuff, like the Christmas duet he did with Bing Crosby & the stuff that had him on the radio awhile back (the China Girl era). Guess I should hit iTunes or Amazon's MP3 Store for that stuff soon.

He just put a new (& now, sadly, apparently final--barring posthumous releases) CD, titled Blackstar, out this past Friday, the 8th. I think that was also his birthday.

Condolences to Iman, his son, & other loved ones. RIP.

And, on another note... Character actor Richard Libertini has also died, at age 82.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-libertini-dead-laws-actor-853847

Nooooooo, not David Bowie! Just a few weeks ago I was watching Labyrinth. He sure made one hot Goblin King. And that cool Christmas duet with Bing Crosby was on the radio all the time!

RIP Ziggy Stardust. And because it can't be said enough, fuck cancer.

• Love 1

Sad about Bowie, but look at it like this: He lived life pretty much on his terms and he spent the last 18 months of his life doing what he loved, then dropped the album on his 69th birthday to pretty much universal acclaim, then passed two days later. Talk about your ultimate mic drop. R.I.P. Ziggy.

• Love 23

Gawd...I'm beside myself with Bowie.  I think my first exposure besides randomly hearing a song on the FM was his appearance on SNL.  He was really really different and he really opened up my young mind to other music possibilities.  That new album of his is really really good.  Damn damn damn... 

I'm sad and a in a bit of shock too. I think there was always something so classic and immortal about Bowie. I'm keeping Iman, his daughter, son and others who were with him in my thoughts. Damn.

We also have a thread in Music dedicated to Bowie where some of us can celebrate his life and works.

• Love 6

Former Disney Star Michael Galeota Dead At 31

Michael Galeota — best known for his work on the Disney Channel original series The Jersey as Nick Lighter, as well as the 1996 film Clubhouse Detectives — has passed away. He was 31-years-old.

According to Us Weekly, the child star was hospitalized last week after complaining of abdominal pain.

He reportedly left the hospital against doctor’s orders on Wednesday (Jan. 6) and was found dead in his Glendale, California home yesterday (Jan. 10) by friends after they were unable to reach him by phone.

The Los Angeles County Coroners Office revealed that Galeota suffered from both hypertension and high cholesterol prior to his death.

Perhaps the former Mrs. Bowie could have opted to leave "Big Brother" to at least attempt to console her and the late Mr. Bowie's son over the loss of the parent who raised him solo most of his childhood (which could have gone far in healing their own rift) . However; she did not. And Duncan Jones is forty-five years old so he can decide for himself whether he wants her in his life so it's high time she quits blaming the late Mr. Bowie for their son's call on this.

Edited by Blergh

Okay, all death is sad and I was really surprised by David Bowie earlier this week but Alan Rickman just floored me. This is a real shock, I have no idea why this is so much more upsetting, but I can't seem to comprehend this one. So sad, what a incredibly talented actor.

• Love 10