Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Merde.

Gigi is one of my favorite movies and I was just thinking of it the other day. "She is Not Thinking of Me" is one of the best examples of why letterboxing is better than pan and scan--you miss the crowning moment when Gaston pours the champagne down Liane's top.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

I don't know what else to add about Louis Jordan, except that I thought he was the epitome of the suave, handsome gentleman who was sometimes a cad in movies.  And I mean that in the most positive way. : )

• Love 5

When I was a weird teenage girl who loved listening to music much older than her, I absolutely LOVED Lesley Gore. I got a greatest hits CD of hers when I was 12 (in 2001) for Christmas, and I listened to it constantly. "It's My Party" went to #1 in 1963, and "You Don't Own Me" to #2 in 1964 (kept from #1 from by the Beatles' first US #1, "I Want to Hold My Hand"), and I loved them both, but this is probably my favorite song of hers:

RIP. 

ETA: Trivia: Lesley's brother is Michael Gore, a composer who won the Oscar for Best Original Score for the movie Fame, and also composed the theme of Terms of Endearment.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I don't know what else to add about Louis Jordan, except that I thought he was the epitome of the suave, handsome gentleman who was sometimes a cad in movies.  And I mean that in the most positive way. : )

If anyone hasn't seen it, I recommend the film Letter from an Unknown Woman, in which he definitely plays a less sympathetic role.  It's a brilliant film by Max Ophuls.

I wondered if this might be coming when I read he was hospitalized with COPD; my uncle died from that at only 60 years of age.

Nimoy is one of those actors I can immediately identify despite not ever actually seeing him in anything (no, I have never watched Star Trek) because he was such a part of pop culture.

• Love 3

I had forgotten he was in the hospital so this is more surprising than it should be for me.  And really, really sad.  I loved him as Spock, of course, but I also loved him in everything from In Search Of to Fringe.  I also loved his unique voice.

• Love 3

What's really sad is that he missed the 50th Anniversary of the debut of Star Trek by just a little over 18 months.  He had already started sharing some behind-the-scenes bits from the shooting of the pilot episode as a kind of countdown tribute, and I was looking forward to hearing more about the show's beginnings.

• Love 3

I had forgotten he was in the hospital so this is more surprising than it should be for me.  And really, really sad.  I loved him as Spock, of course, but I also loved him in everything from In Search Of to Fringe.  I also loved his unique voice.

In addition to making it enjoyable, his voice and his role as Spock made In Search Of seem plausible.

He was also a music video star in the 80s

• Love 4

I think despite the title of his 1975 autobiography (I Am Not Spock), Mr Nimoy would agree with you....as do I.

When the Trekkers almost rioted after he came out with that, he published a follow up book called "I Am Spock".

• Love 4

God, I still remember that 911 tape.

I just watched an episode of Judging Amy yesterday in which he guest starred, and thought - as I do every time I see him in something - how he's one of my favorite "hey, it's that guy" actors.

• Love 2

Damn, Daniel Von Bargen, aka Mr. Kruger on Seinfeld, has passed away at age 64, reportedly after a long illness.

Very sad about this and also Nimoy.  Von Bargan was in a lot of good stuff and was a great character actor.  I remember him fondly as George's boss, Mr. Kruger on Seinfeld.  He was only on four episodes but I remember them so well and  have not watched a Seifeld show in years. So sad. 

(edited)

I had never heard of him (I'm one of the three people who never watched The Simpsons) until it popped up on some animal welfare newsletters that he donated the bulk of his quite significant fortune to charity, mostly animal and nature related, when he got his terminal diagnosis.

Here's an article about that.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3