Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Damn!  That hurt, I always loved Markie's hair during Night Court and she was gorgeous til the end.

RIP lovely lady.

3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Awe man, Night Court is one of my favorite all time shows.  Who’s left?  Just Larroquette?

Marsha Warfield and Richard Moll.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 8

I always enjoyed Markie Post's work as Christine on Night Court.  My aunt (who passed away in 2012) was a big fan because they both attended Lewis & Clark College in Portland at the same time.  I believe my aunt mentioned watching her in some plays in college.

• Love 13
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!  I just today, watched and danced to Celebration!!!😭😭😭😭😭😭

One of my favorite groups that defined my tween and teen years.

I danced around the house and sang Celebration in the car earlier this year.

R.I.P and Get down, Get down. Get down, Get down in the hereafter Mr. Thomas. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

A tough end to a life well-lived:

...a three year, ten month battle with cancer....
...Post was determined to keep pursuing acting as “a side job”, even as she got sick. Between chemo treatments, she worked on projects...
...“But for us, our pride is in who she was in addition to acting; a person who made elaborate cakes for friends, sewed curtains for first apartments and showed us how to be kind, loving and forgiving in an often harsh world,” her family said in a statement....

😥

• Love 19
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield, who replaced Selma Diamond when she died and was on for a majority of the run, are also alive. 

Geez, I thought they had deceased already.  I’m sorry for my incorrect brain.

• Love 1

I never watched Night Court, but I loved Markie Post in Linda Bloodworth-Thomason's Hearts Afire.  My mom had a friend who'd grown up with Post and kept in touch; I remember her saying Markie was a wonderful combination of an artistic mother and scientist father, with a delightful impish streak a mile wide all her own.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I danced around the house and sang Celebration in the car earlier this year.

R.I.P and Get down, Get down. Get down, Get down in the hereafter Mr. Thomas. 

And don't forget to Get down on it!

R.I.P., Mr. Thomas 

• Love 5

Jane Withers died yesterday, surrounded by family, at 95.  Not bad at all.

Pushed into show biz at a very young age by her parents, Withers was a prolific child/teen star in the '30s and '40s - she was the fantastically awful foil to Shirley Temple in Bright Eyes, played numerous rambunctious "tomboy" roles, and gained fans such as FDR - taking a break to churn out a bunch of kids before returning to the silver screen in Giant (the 1956 Elizabeth Taylor/James Dean film) after meeting George Stevens while she, hoping to also become a director, was studying at USC's film school.  She transitioned to TV - and the long-running series of Josephine the Plumber commercials for Comet - and later took up voice acting in her 70s.

She was also a philanthropist, focused on organizations benefiting women and girls.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She transitioned to TV - and the long-running series of Josephine the Plumber commercials for Comet - and later took up voice acting in her 70s.

Josephine the Plumber is how I, as a kid growing up in the 60s, primarily knew her.  Heaven help me, though, she's one of those people I'd thought passed on a long time ago.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Josephine the Plumber is how I, as a kid growing up in the 60s, primarily knew her.  Heaven help me, though, she's one of those people I'd thought passed on a long time ago.

Same.  I knew her first as Josephine but when my daughter was little she went through a Shirley Temple phase and we collected quite a few movies - I was surprised to see Jane Withers as the obnoxious little girl in Bright Eyes.  She was also really wonderful in that.  My only other real knowledge (such as that is) of her was in two mystery books which featured her that my mother had in her collection.   All that said I just read the blurb about her on wiki. Wow, she sounded like a wonderful person - and her parents could have given lessons on how to be the best kind of parents to a kid in show business!

• Love 5

So sad, but the tributes to Markie Post from everyone especially her daughters are so touching.  She was so good in Night Court (especially as foil to John Laroquette as noted above) but it's so good to see her appreciated for herself as well.  RIP.

• Love 13

I have an affinity for tv drug movies.   Markie Post was in the late 90s “Chasing The Dragon”.  It was actually pretty good for a TV movie unfortunately it’s been scrubbed from tv since about the late 90s.   

• Useful 3

One thing that should be noted as Miss Withers is that she somewhat helped break gender barriers by playing a female plumber in the 1960's for the commercials. She insisted that Josephine's 'uniform' was based on what SHE would wear when fixing things around her own home. Yes, her life had its challenges but it seems that her protective mother may have helped give her the strength not only to avoid hazards as a child performer but also to help cope with sadness. RIP, Miss Withers.

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Even though she had a small part, I remember her in Psycho

RIP, Ms. Hitchcock

What was her role in “Psycho”? In “Strangers on a Train,” she had a small but very important role as someone with a very triggering resemblance to a murder victim.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

What was her role in “Psycho”? In “Strangers on a Train,” she had a small but very important role as someone with a very triggering resemblance to a murder victim.

Marion’s coworker, Caroline. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2