Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 14. 12. 2018. at 12:13 PM, SimoneS said:

Exactly. I lived through that scandal which went on for years. It wasn't just confined to the tabloids. Sondra Locke was not just a talented actress, she was an extremely courageous woman who took on both Eastwood who attempted to destroy her personally and Warner Brothers which conspired with him to destroy her professionally. She refused to be a doormat and slink away. She took them to court and won huge settlements. I was just reading how she won against WB on appeal forcing them to settle and that her case is in contract law textbooks. I always remember that Sondra Locke was extremely proud that she forced Eastwood and WB to face consequences for mistreating her. She should be respected for both her talent and personal integrity. Rest in peace, Sondra.

This is all news to me, but mad respect to Sondra Locke. Good for her for sticking to her guns. 

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Thank you for posting this.  It’s a shame any obit (and this article, tho to be fair this is a rebuttal), can’t just focus on the loss of a beautiful, talented, strong woman.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Thank you for posting this.  It’s a shame any obit (and this article, tho to be fair this is a rebuttal), can’t just focus on the loss of a beautiful, talented, strong woman.

Seriously, one would have after all the backlash to Melissa Mathison’s obituary that defined the Oscar nominated screenwriter for one of the most beloved movies of all time E.T., in addition to Black Stallion and other films and a long career of activism by who her ex husband was and not who she was publications would reassess how they write obits particularly for women but I am not surprised that nothing has changed but THR obit was even more disgusting given their relationship and that it went beyond the headline.

• Love 10
On 12/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, BetterButter said:

It says in this article that Miss Locke died November 3rd but nowhere is it mentioned why there was a month's delay in public notification of her passing. I  recall Beth Howland (Vera on Alice) dying in December, 2015 but it not being reported until May 24,2016- with her widower Charles Kimbrough (Jim Dial on Murphy Brown) giving the explanation that she wouldn't have wanted the fuss. So  does anyone have any idea why an entire month went by (in this 'Net age) before Miss Locke's passing became public knowledge?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It says in this article that Miss Locke died November 3rd but nowhere is it mentioned why there was a month's delay in public notification of her passing. I  recall Beth Howland (Vera on Alice) dying in December, 2015 but it not being reported until May 24,2016- with her widower Charles Kimbrough (Jim Dial on Murphy Brown) giving the explanation that she wouldn't have wanted the fuss. So  does anyone have any idea why an entire month went by (in this 'Net age) before Miss Locke's passing became public knowledge?

She wasn’t a very public person and I believe her next of kin is her husband who she married in 1967 and never consummated because he is gay, so maybe he didn’t feel the need to announce anything though he apparently was the one who contacted authorities.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She wasn’t a very public person and I believe her next of kin is her husband who she married in 1967 and never consummated because he is gay, so maybe he didn’t feel the need to announce anything though he apparently was the one who contacted authorities.

I suppose that's possible. However; I would think her next of kin have either made the announcement roughly a week after her Miss Locke's demise (which would have given her next of kin and closest personal friends plenty of time to be notified and for there to have been some kind of private memorial) or, at the very least, whoever opted to wait over a month would have at least explained WHY when delivering news of her death.  I could be completely off here but it just seems a bit fishy to me that they'd not disclosed the death sooner and/or given an explanation as to why there wasn't earlier discloser. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I suppose that's possible. However; I would think her next of kin have either made the announcement roughly a week after her Miss Locke's demise (which would have given her next of kin and closest personal friends plenty of time to be notified and for there to have been some kind of private memorial) or, at the very least, whoever opted to wait over a month would have at least explained WHY when delivering news of her death.  I could be completely off here but it just seems a bit fishy to me that they'd not disclosed the death sooner and/or given an explanation as to why there wasn't earlier discloser. 

Someone found the death certificate that is public infornation there was no public announcement from anyone in her life. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, I was going to say what likely happened is that her next of kin made no announcement at all and it was someone in the press eventually picking up on it.

Based on the way she’s been treated by the Hollywood press, I could imagine Ms. Locke specifically requesting that the press not be notified of her passing.

• Love 10

I know a few “regular” people (not in the public eye) who don’t/didn’t want obituaries posted.  They figured those that needed to know would be notified personally and it wasn’t anyone else’s business.  I don’t see it as strange.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I just got a Breaking News notification on my iPhone that actress/director Penny Marshall has died at age 75. Details to come...

So sad; I grew up loving Laverne, and A League of Their Own is one of my favorite movies.  Her publicist said the cause of death was complications of diabetes.  Here's Variety's obituaryAnd The Hollywood Reporter.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

Noooooooo.

This is as big a gut punch as Carrie Fischer.   Thanks for the pictures of them together.

From a guest role on Happy Days to one of the best directors in Hollywood.   Damn she was good.   

RIP.    Your memory IS a blessing.

• Love 19

I thought it was a hoax (TMZ), then I found out it is true.

Like Merylinkid said, gut punch.  Grew up on L&S, so sorry for the news.

(Raises glass of milk and Pepsi)....by the way, that was actually good I used to drink it all the time.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 12

I wasn't a big fan of Laverne & Shirley (even for the time it was corny), but as a director - and having to fight to be the director she wanted to be, and eventually became - she was fabulous.  I always thought her & Rob Reiner could've made the Man O'War of talented comedians/directors.  

RIP, Ms. Marshall.  

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I just got a Breaking News notification on my iPhone that actress/director Penny Marshall has died at age 75. Details to come... Unless someone beats me to them.

Just saw it.  In shock.  R.I.P. Ms. Marshall

• Love 7

By the way, one more reason to admire Penny Marshall - I always thought she was hilarious as Myrna, Oscar's secretary on The Odd Couple, and when the show years later did a reunion movie after Jack Klugman was recovering from throat cancer, she clearly had no hesitation jumping in and doing a hilarious re-appearance in character.  Not sure what year that was but I'm sure she made time to help out Jack and the rest of the crew.

Rest in peace, Penny and Garry.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 21

We'll see how long it takes Tuner Classic Movies to update its TCM Remembers 2018.  They put one together every year (always exponentially better than the Oscars' In Memoriam segment), and leave room to edit in any deaths that occur between the time it's released and the end of the year; they can replace stock footage with photos of new deaths without screwing up the total running time being synced to the music.  This year's just came out a few days ago.  Here it is as it stands now:

• Love 10

I was about 9 or 10 when Happy Days/ Laverne & Shirley when on. I was a huge HD fan-- I literally wanted to be BE Fonzie ! Not quite as big of a fan of L & S but I still liked it a lot. I haven't seen either one of the shows for years ( and they probably wouldn't hold up now or be very dated), but they were a big part of my younger years, and I will always have fond memories of the shows.

• Love 8

Do you hear that "tap, tap, tap" noise?  That's fate chiseling away at my childhood and teen years.

I have two coworkers who are always together so in my head they are nicknamed Laverne and Shirley.  This afternoon (before the news about Penny came out) that caused me to think of my favorite joke from the show.

Shirley was stating she was going to find a rich man and get married.  Laverne said they only thing rich guys wanted from them was vodeo-do-do.  

Shirley:  I don't vodeo-do-do.

Laverne:  Oh, you vodeo-do-do.

Shirley:  (indignantly) I DON'T vodeo-do-do!

Laverne:  Well, you vodeo.

Shirley (after a long pause):  Once.  And I'd been going steady for a year.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

First female director to have a film gross over $100m at the box office (Big). R.I.P.

And then she did it for the second time with A League of Their Own! 

• Love 14

RIP Penny. Thank you for my favorite 2 movies from my childhood--Big and A League of Their Own.Thank you for paving the way for other female directors. Hopefully she and Carrie are having a good time somewhere. 

• Love 15