Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, roseha said:

By the way, one more reason to admire Penny Marshall - I always thought she was hilarious as Myrna, Oscar's secretary on The Odd Couple, and when the show years later did a reunion movie after Jack Klugman was recovering from throat cancer, she clearly had no hesitation jumping in and doing a hilarious re-appearance in character.  Not sure what year that was but I'm sure she made time to help out Jack and the rest of the crew.

I've never seen this, and looked it up, but it was a 1993 TV movie, so I doubt that it will ever show up again.

• Love 2

I too loved Penny as Myrna Turner on The Odd Couple.  The episode where her real-life brother and sister appear as her brother Werner Turner and Verna Turner, and then Rob Reiner is her boyfriend Sheldn (yes, that's right, no "o" in Sheldn) was so very funny.  

I loved her on Laverne and Shirley - such great slapstick.  But she could do a serious storyline as well - the episode where her fireman boyfriend (played by Ted Danson!) is killed in the line of duty really brought the tears.  

As a kid growing up in Wisconsin, it was neat to have a couple shows based in Milwaukee.  The casts of Laverne & Shirly and Happy Days would occasionally make appearances in Milwaukee.  Currently there's 3 separate stories on Penny Marshall on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's website.  

• Love 10
13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

This was one of the first ones I saw when the news broke and it got me:

Yeah, Michael seems to have taken it especially hard, and I don't blame him.  Penny was a treasure (I remember her from The Odd Couple long before she did Laverne & Shirley and made the transition to directing), and she will definitely be missed.  And I had forgotten that she and Carrie Fisher were good friends. It somehow seems fitting that Penny has passed away just ten days shy of the anniversary of Carrie's passing.

Rest in peace, Ms. Marshall, and thank you for all the laughs and the fun.  And one more thing -- FUCK DIABETES! 

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, roseha said:

By the way, one more reason to admire Penny Marshall - I always thought she was hilarious as Myrna, Oscar's secretary on The Odd Couple, and when the show years later did a reunion movie after Jack Klugman was recovering from throat cancer, she clearly had no hesitation jumping in and doing a hilarious re-appearance in character.  Not sure what year that was but I'm sure she made time to help out Jack and the rest of the crew.

3 hours ago, auntjess said:

I've never seen this, and looked it up, but it was a 1993 TV movie, so I doubt that it will ever show up again.

I remember watching that. Even though Klugman's voice was incredibly gravelly and just above a whisper(as people keep telling him in the movie "Well you never did sound like Richard Burton!") It was great seeing him and Tony Randall again as well as seeing Penny as Myrna. The movie's on YouTube and she appears 54 minutes in. Here's the promo:

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

My favorite film of hers by far was A League of Their Own.  I love baseball and I love baseball movies  - there have not been that many in the last 50 years, there used to be many more.   But there have been damned few about women baseball players, I mean in the whole history of the movies.  And exactly ONE about  WW2 women's professional baseball - ONE.   And as noted above, it grossed more than any other baseball picture ever.  (The highest gross doesn't equal the highest amount of ticket sales - all these more recent films measured by gross register as more popular than older films - but still, it inarguably made a lot of money.)  Somehow, despite Penny Marshall's success it seems to be generally believed that movies/TV shows on this subject are doomed to commercial failure. (yes, I DID watch Pitch, and I still think that was doing well enough to continue if FOX had believed in it).

Plus, she got a really good performance from Madonna.  Maybe that was part of the problem.  She pulled off two things that were clearly believed to be impossible, and men are annoyed when women do that.

Its my favorite too. It was a great movie about baseball and love of baseball.  But it was more then that. We saw the women playing baseball and also helping and supporting each other. From Dottie and Kit not going anywhere when Lovitz didn't want to recruit Marla because she was ugly to May teaching Shirley how to read. There were so many great moments and great lines. 

• Love 18

I'd like to share something Miss Marshall wrote in her autobio about her 'prefame' days. Namely, that her parents gave her the full name of 'Carole Penny Marshall'  in part to  wanto memorialize the  tragically killed gorgeous star Carole Lombard. Her father had changed the family name from 'Masciarelli' some years before her birth. In any case, almost immediately, the parents decided to only call her by her middle name so that upon her first day of school when the teacher called the class roll, Miss Marshall didn't answer to 'Carole' and harshly tagged her as being 'retarded'.  Yes, the Marshall parents had not only not thought to mention that 'Carole' was her actual first name prior to her first day of school but they had NEVER mentioned its existence. After that until Miss Marshall finished school, Mrs. Marshall would give her a note the first day of the academic year for the teacher that read "Please don't call her 'Carole'. She answers to 'Penny'. "  Oh, and  the New Yorker Mrs. Marshall had no problems with Penny going to college in the University of New Mexico because she actually thought that the state of New Mexico was close to all the OTHER states with 'New' names in their title ( New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire). Still, despite her faults, Mrs. Marshall taught Penny to competitively tap dance at an early age and Penny would credit that for helping her overcome her natural shyness and self-consciousness re performing, etc.  Anyway, I thought these anecdotes would be interesting to contemplate. RIP, Miss Marshall and let's hope you get to finally get to meet Miss Lombard who I could imagine would have a hearty laugh at your parents and teachers. 

• Love 18
14 hours ago, Calvada said:

I loved her on Laverne and Shirley - such great slapstick.  But she could do a serious storyline as well - the episode where her fireman boyfriend (played by Ted Danson!) is killed in the line of duty really brought the tears.  

I was going to mention this....it was called 'Why Did The Fireman'  This scene is when Lenny and Squiggy tells her that Randy died and the aftermath:

Me and my sister always go 'Betty please!' whenever we're trying to reach each other.  I have too many fave L&S eppys to count.

And let's not forget Laverne's love for Scooter Pies.

Damn....this hurts like it did when John Ritter and Bernie Mac died.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 12
40 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Oof....talk about dumb blonde, Farrah played that to the hilt in this commercial.

I read an anecdote about that commercial yesterday. When they were setting up they had the stand ins for Farrah and Penny wearing signs that said "pretty girl" (Farrah) and "homely girl" (Penny). When Penny and Farrah came on set, Farrah saw the look of hurt on Penny's face, and without saying a word, grabbed a pen, went over to the stand in and crossed out the word homely.

• Love 22

So I know he's long gone but I came across this at Youtube:

Adam Sandler singing about Chris Farley....I'm at friggin' work and teary-eyed, that was beautiful.  Sad to see how much his death still affects the SNL cast.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

No post or comment from Cindy Williams yet?

ETA....nevermind, just read a few.

And now she has posted this on Twitter, perfect in its simplicity (the account doesn't have the little verified symbol, but it seems to be her and multiple news outlets have referenced it as indeed being that of the Cindy Williams):

• Love 23
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, Bastet said:

We'll see how long it takes Tuner Classic Movies to update its TCM Remembers 2018.  They put one together every year (always exponentially better than the Oscars' In Memoriam segment),

It's been updated.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

And now she has posted this on Twitter, perfect in its simplicity (the account doesn't have the little verified symbol, but it seems to be her and multiple news outlets have referenced it as indeed being that of the Cindy Williams):

This got me verklempt when I saw it this morning.

• Love 9

I just read his IMDB and had no idea he was born in England! He was great in John Carpenter's The Thing, as LBJ in The Right Stuff and the Tales of The City miniseries and Clear and Present Danger:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

Geez, poor kids.  You deserved better by your mother. Sorry about your passing Audrey but anyone who choses their new husband over their kids is a crappy person. You don't want kids you don't marry someone with kids. You have kids you don't marry someone who doesn't like them. You get rid of the boyfriend not the kids. I feel sorry for Dr. Seuss's poor first wife. I had no idea Dr. Seuss was such an asshole.

• Love 12

Interesting Wikipedia article about Helen Palmer, Dr Seuss's first wife, who was a children's book author herself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Palmer_(author)

Ah, the rabbit hole that is the Internet:

From The New York Times:
PUBLIC LIVES; Mrs. Seuss Hears a Who, and Tells About It
Audrey Giesel doesn't come across as a nice person, but she's unflinching in her self-examination. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5

Serving in the military is not something easy or taken for granted for anyone but Mr. Overton did it AND he did it when the troops were still legally segregated  (and yes, Mr. Overton was African-American) . Yet, despite these odds, Mr. Overton received no fewer than eight medals for his WWII service and, in 2013 at age 107, he was a guest of President Barack Obama at during Veteran's Day and met with him in Arlington National Cemetary and the White House that day! RIP and I salute you, Mr. Overton! 

Edited by Blergh
misplaced comma
  • Love 19
6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Whether it was TV show themes (back in the late ‘70’s & early ‘80’s Norman Gimbel & his writing partner were responsible for most of the popular ABC sitcom theme songs—except for Full HouseStep by Step, & Three’s Company, that I’m positive of... there may be a few more I’ve forgotten they didn’t write) or songs from the movies, Norman Gimbel always collaborated (or always seemed to collaborate, anyway) with a man named Charles Fox (giving credit where it’s also due for all/mostly all of Norman Gimbel’s famous songs).

At least some of their movie songs received Academy Award nominations. Among their Oscar-nominated movie songs is “Ready to Take a Chance Again”, from the Chevy Chase/Goldie Hawn film Foul Play, which was sung in the movie over the opening & closing credits, & made popular, by Barry Manilow (my favorite singer & the main source of my screen name). Unfortunately (at least if you’re a Manilow fan, although the Oscar would’ve only gone to Mr. Fox & Mr. Gimbel, not Barry who only performed it), it was nominated the same year as songs from Saturday Night Fever were eligible & nominated & it lost to “Last Dance”, sung by Donna Summer in the movie & on the soundtrack. 

They also used Barry’s song “Copacabana” during another scene (I think about mistaken intentions, involving Goldie’s character & a supporting character played by Dudley Moore).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix unnecessary italics issues, add comments & change a word.
  • Love 6