Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Whoa! I think Miss Tovar may have been  among the longest-lived  if not the longest lived leading performer AND her grandson Chris Weitz is currently a prominent director and producer. Since he made one of the Twilight movies, I wonder if he may have at least asked his grandmother what someone living as long as she did may have reacted to current times to help consider the vamp characters' MO?

• Love 4
On 11/1/2016 at 6:34 AM, merylinkid said:

Damn.  2016 just won't stop.   Surely Death can take a holiday?

Just as many people, we recognize/love, died in 2015, 2014, 2013 and on it goes.  Posters say the same thing every single solitary year.   We don't get out of here alive, it will continue in 2017.  It is the circle of life. The transition to something else, called death, should be celebrated with a good for you!  Job well done!  Applause and standing ovation for completing the experience we all have, it is called life!  

• Love 6

When Gwen Ifill went missing from PBS NewsHour due to health reasons again, I got concerned (and I really missed her during election night coverage, even though the remaining crew did their usual good job).  Very sad; she was a terrific journalist, and this is a huge loss for the American press (and people).

• Love 12
18 hours ago, wings707 said:

Just as many people, we recognize/love, died in 2015, 2014, 2013 and on it goes.  Posters say the same thing every single solitary year.   We don't get out of here alive, it will continue in 2017.  It is the circle of life. The transition to something else, called death, should be celebrated with a good for you!  Job well done!  Applause and standing ovation for completing the experience we all have, it is called life!  

But it seems more name stream celebrities are dying this year.  It started off with a bang with the death of Lemmy K of Motorhead, and dove right into taking David Bowie & Alan Rickman.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

When Gwen Ifill went missing from PBS NewsHour due to health reasons again, I got concerned (and I really missed her during election night coverage, even though the remaining crew did their usual good job).  Very sad; she was a terrific journalist, and this is a huge loss for the American press (and people).

Me too. Had no idea she had cancer. She was one of the few good journalists on the NewsHour and she'll be missed. RIP Gwen Ifill, thanks for everything.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, roamyn said:

But it seems more name stream celebrities are dying this year.  It started off with a bang with the death of Lemmy K of Motorhead, and dove right into taking David Bowie & Alan Rickman.

Lemmy actually died at the end of 2015, as did Natalie Cole. David Bowie was the first "big" death of 2016, as it were.

2003 had a lot of big mainstream deaths, people like Katharine Hepburn, Bob Hope, June and Johnny Cash (four months apart), and John Ritter.

Edited by UYI

Part of it's a feature of Hollywood getting older. Really before the 1930s there weren't nearly as many stars out there in the world but with movies and music taking off and then TV coming along in the 50s suddenly there were these waves of young famous people. And those people might have stepped back from the public eye as new waves of stars came along but they're still out there. So when I was a kid in the late 80s and early 90s sure there was always a death reel with some big names but nowadays there are just many more famous people and more of them are older so those death reels are much fuller. Add to it the normal "younger" deaths that we always seem to get due to cancer, accidents, drugs etc and I think this is the new normal. 2015 was bad, 2016 was bad and I'm sorry to say I think 2017 will be bad too. Some years are going to have icons in their fields die and that will be especially noteworthy, but the idea that we're going to see famous deaths regularly now is just a fact of life.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know and my 80-something mother was very saddened to hear the news as Miss Ifill was a fave newscaster of hers and my late father's.

• Love 1

Sorry, I hit something and accidentally hit the quote box.  Now I can't make it go away.  I came in to say that I agree with Vibe.  Not only are celebs aging, but we too are aging.  I got into Doctor Who in 1983 when it aired in St. Louis for the first time, and was really shocked when Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton died.  I expect to see more Doctors pass before I go, and perhaps some of my favorites from Blake's Seven, which I first watched thirty years ago.  It feels so odd that mortality appears to be measured not only in elderly aunts, uncles, and parents departing, but in strangers like Alan Rickman, who I was fortunate to meet for a moment in 2007.  I have been atheist-praying for Tim Curry who doesn't look well.  (I invite you to join me, with or without a belief in deities.)  Like Keith Richards and Olivia de Havilland, Brian May may go on forever.

At the risk of being overly political, I did (before the recent US election) expect that the world would end shortly after my death (I'm 56) because of humanity's carelessness with our planet, but now I am concerned that I am going to live to see either a nuclear disaster or a climate-based disaster from which humanity will never recover.

What a happy note to sign off on ....

• Love 5

..and it continues...2016 can end..it really can....Milt Okun died..he was 92...He may not be a name that is well known but his work is still heard  and his influence on music can not be overstated...

As a die-hard John Denver fan and a fan of 60's folk music in general, this one hurts a bit....Whenever you hear Peter, Paul and Mary or John Denver on the radio..you have Milt to thank for that..and all that came after...RIP Milt..

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/7580399/milt-okun-legendary-producer-cherry-lane-founder-dies-92

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Sharon Jones of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings dies at 60 after battling pancreatic cancer :-(

Just. Stop. Already.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/11/r-i-p-sharon-jones-rb-soul-singer-has-died/

3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Singer Sharon Jones of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings dead from pancreatic cancer at age 60.

http://variety.com/2016/music/news/ssharon-jones-dead-dies-dap-kings-1201922559/

Dammit dammit dammit dammit

23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

All of the major (& at least most of the minor) awards shows do the "In Memoriam" segment (the "death montage").

The 2017 shows are going to need extended air times for the 2016 segments. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

The 2017 shows are going to need extended air times for the 2016 segments. 

Or else they might end up pissing off some viewers by leaving out someone, who perhaps shouldn't have been, due to time constraints. Which I think at least some award shows did this year anyway.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Or else they might end up pissing off some viewers by leaving out someone, who perhaps shouldn't have been, due to time constraints. Which I think at least some award shows did this year anyway.

They always do that, and they always give time constraints as the excuse.  So yes,  some people are going to be grossly offended no matter what.

• Love 2

I doubt this will mean anything to anyone here (besides me) unless you follow (particularly minor league/ECHL) hockey, are from the Northeast Indiana/Northwest Ohio area, or you're familiar with WOWO Radio in that area (particularly from the days when their 50,000 watts stretched across a good chunk of the country--& even around the world--especially at night), but legendary Hall of Fame hockey/sports broadcaster Bob Chase died today, at age 90, of congestive heart failure.

He's most notable for calling Fort Wayne (IN) Komets hockey games, in multiple minor hockey leagues, for all but 1 of their 65 seasons until his illness prevented him from calling any games this season--so he was behind the mic (at "Radio Rinkside", as he called it) for 63 of their (currently) 65 seasons. Chase's tenure behind the mic is apparently second only to that of recent Presidential Medal of Freedom honoree & retired LA Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully, who called games for 67 seasons until retiring at the end of the most recent MLB season. He also called the real-life basketball game depicted in the movie Hoosiers, among his career milestones not related to hockey. And he mentored NBC's equally-legendary NHL broadcaster Mike "Doc" Emrick, who grew up in the Northeast Indiana area.

http://news-sentinel.com/news/local/Fort-Wayne-legend-Bob-Chase-has-passed?platform=hootsuite

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

NO! Not Mrs. Brady!!!!!

I know! She always looked so healthy and VITAL that I couldn't imagined her not being here for a VERY long time. Two years back, after Ann B. Davis's death, they showed a clip of Miss Davis wishing her a Happy 80th Birthday. No way would I have imagined that Miss Henderson was 80 (maybe mid 50's had I not known her story) . Here's to a lovely lady inside and out! 

• Love 6

Are you kidding me?! I mean, I know she was getting up there in years but like @Blergh said she always seemed to be so vital and together. I always imagined her being around into her 90s at least.

She always came across as a private individual, so if she was in poor health, I'm not surprised that she didn't go public with it.

RIP Mrs. Brady. Hope you, Ann, and Rob are enjoying a nice little reunion now.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

NO! Not Mrs. Brady!!!!!

46 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously?! We lose Mrs. Brady on the day after Thanksgiving?! That is LOW, 2016!!

SCREW YOU, 2016!!!!?????

To wake up and for this to be the first thing to learn?

Black Friday, indeed.

RIP, Mrs. Brady. Say hello to Alice and Mr. Brady please?

?????????

• Love 11

According to the morning local news coverage, cause of death was heart failure.  Her manager said her death was unexpected.

At least she didn't have to suffer though a long illness.

I hate 2016 so much, but thanks to our President-Elect, I am absolutely terrified of 2017-2020.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 17