Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Scott Sims from Aloha Vet on the National Geographic Channel died last week of cancer at age 59, two months after being diagnosed. There isn't a forum for the show here, but for whoever may have watched it.

• Love 4

Scott Sims from Aloha Vet on the National Geographic Channel died last week of cancer at age 59, two months after being diagnosed. There isn't a forum for the show here, but for whoever may have watched it.

That is very sad news.  I watched Aloha Vet and enjoyed it.  He seemed like a very kind and compassionate man.

• Love 1

That is very sad news.  I watched Aloha Vet and enjoyed it.  He seemed like a very kind and compassionate man.

Yes, me too.  A very kind & empathetic Vet whose first priority was the animal.  I loved that he allowed pet owners the option of sending their beloved animal over the Rainbow Bridge without judgement or shame.  Loved him!!!

• Love 2

Frank Gifford, NFL player turned sportscaster (and husband of Kathie Lee) passed away this morning at home. He was 84.

Say what you may about the Giffords, especially Kathie Lee (some days I can stand her much better than others, honestly), but that's sad. If he'd lived another week (I think it is), he would've turned 85 & Kathie Lee will be 60. They shared the same birthday--August 16th, I'm pretty sure it is--& he was (at least said to be) 25 years older than Kathie Lee.

• Love 1

I make jokes about my husband being younger than me. I turn the whole "traded in the old wife for a younger model" on its ear. My ex husband is 8 years older than me. It's funny and catches people off guard.

I'm seriously struck with Mr. Gifford's passing though. I can't stand his wife but she was no doubt devoted to him and loved him with all her being. She must be devastated. That seriously sucks.

• Love 2

I didn't realize it until maybe an hour ago, but--even though he didn't make it until his 85th birthday next Sunday--Frank Gifford's death happening today still has some interesting, & perhaps appropriate, timing.

I had forgotten, earlier today, that this is the NFL Hall of Fame Enshrinement Weekend, for the 2015 Hall of Famers (Mr. Gifford was inducted in a previous year), which also includes the 1st pre-season NFL game, the Hall of Fame game, being played in Canton, OH, tonight between Pittsburgh & Minnesota. So, I suppose if he had to go now, today was appropriate as he was an NFL legend both on the playing field & in the broadcasting anchor booth & today's the start of this season's NFL pre-season activities.

• Love 2

I thought of that immediately when I heard the news Frank Gifford had passed.

It reminded me that we got the news that Walter Payton had passed right before a Monday Night Game. 

The good ones time it well.  

• Love 4

Lenny Robinson, a W. Virginia millionaire who became well known as Batman for sick children was killed in a car crash.   His custom Batmobile (which was a copy of the one from the 1966 TV series) broke down in the middle of traffic and some schmuck hit him from behind.

Back in 2012 a video went viral of Robinson getting pulled over by DC area police for a license plate issue. 

Rest in peace Mr. Robinson.  You ere a good man who brought so much joy to sick kids who needed it.

• Love 11

So heartbroken about Yvonne Craig.    Batgirl was a strong female character you could look up to.   Sure Catwoman was cool, but she broke the law.   Batgirl got to do all the cool stuff while being one of the good people.   Plus she had the motorcyle.   

• Love 2

Re Julian Bond, he epitomized courage, grace and class. He was a great man who did great things. 

Re Yvonne Craig, loved her. Her Batgirl kicked ass, took names and used her powers for good. Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl in Batman & Robin couldn't hold a candle to the original. 

RIP, Mr. Bond and Ms. Craig. 

• Love 2

Bud Yorkin, who partnered with Norman Lear on All in the Family, Sanford & Son, etc., has passed away at the age of 89.  An interesting bit of trivia:

His first cousin was David O. Selznick, who produced the 1939 classic "Gone With the Wind."

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 1

F-Troop Star, Melody Patterson (Also a Former Wife of Original Hawaii Five-O Star, James MacArthur), Dies at Age 66.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/obituaries-people-news/f-troop-actress-melody-patterson-dies-at-66-1201576106/

I saw this and could not believe she was only 66. That would have made her 16 at the time of F Troop. If so, she was amazingly mature, since her Wrangler Jane wasn't played as a teenager. I loved Jane and thought she was a kind of early feminist, with her gunslinging skills. There was the obligatory makeover into a girly girl, but fortunately it didn't last.

• Love 3

According to Patterson's IMDb bio:

Apparently auditioned for F Troop (1965) on a lark. She was not quite 16, and kept her age from the producers. When she had secured the part, she told them her age. Their shock and consternation were ameliorated shortly thereafter by her maturity and professionalism.

• Love 2

Oliver Sacks, renowed neurologist whose book Awakenings was adapted into a lovely movie, has passed away at age 82.

Dr. Sacks first won widespread attention in 1973 for his book “Awakenings,” about a group of patients with an atypical form of encephalitis at Beth Abraham Hospital in the Bronx. When Dr. Sacks started his clinical career there, in 1966, many of the patients had been catatonic, locked inside themselves for decades as a result of their “sleeping sickness.”

Dr. Sacks gave them the drug L-dopa, which was just beginning to be recognized as a treatment for similar symptoms in patients with Parkinson’s, then watched as they emerged into a world they did not recognize. Some responded better than others — both to the drug and to their changed circumstances — and Dr. Sacks used his book to explore the differences and celebrate his patients’ limited rebirth.

“I love to discover potential in people who aren’t thought to have any,” he told People magazine in 1986.

RIP to an extraordinary human being.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 5

If there's a Heaven-and I believe there is- I can imagine the conversations that Dr. Sacks would have with Robin Williams, who played him so beautifully in Awakenings.

RIP, Dr. Sacks.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

We've lost Wes Craven.   Brain cancer.    This is a dream right?   Like the end of Nightmare on Elm Street?

One thing that always freaked out me out about the movie, I did not find out until years later.   There was a cut scene that showed all the kids that seemed to be only children were actually younger siblings.   Their older siblings had all been killed by Freddie.   So they really were "the last of the Elm Street kids."

• Love 1

We've lost Wes Craven.   Brain cancer.    This is a dream right?   Like the end of Nightmare on Elm Street?

Ah, Jesus, another piece of my adolescence gone. RIP, Mr. Craven, you and Freddie Kruger were big parts of scaring me in a really good way.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 5

Ah, Jesus, another piece of my adolescence gone. RIP, Mr. Craven, you and Freddie Kruger were big parts of scaring me in a really good way.

Me as well.  I did not know he had brain cancer.  RIP West Craven.

• Love 1

So sad to hear about Wes.  He was always such a fun lively guy.  He really did leave a great legacy, the 80's with Nightmare on Elm Street, then the 90's and 00's with the Scream series.

Shocked.

1) I had no idea he was that old.

2) I had no idea he suffered from brain cancer.

I've neve4 seen the 'Elm Street' series, but I loved 'Scream' and other works of his. I also didn't realize he was from Cleveland.

RIP sir. You deserve it