Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

"Mongo only pawn in Game of Life."

"Candygram for Mongo!"

I now that has no relevance to the death of the game creator, but a shout out to Blazing Saddles requires a response.

• Love 13
On 9/14/2021 at 4:17 PM, UYI said:

"Well, it is finally official - MURDER is legal in the state of California."

--Norm on Weekend Update after the OJ Simpson verdict was announced.

RIP! 

I remember he got in a lot of trouble for that joke!  One of the bigwigs at NBC was friends with OJ and I hear was responsible for forcing MacDonald out of the show.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:18 PM, basiltherat said:

RIP to "Turd Ferguson" -- Hope Norm has fun with Trebek and Connery in heaven!

Ditto!

I had hoped there would have been a "Heavenly Edition" of Jeopardy with Macdonald, Ferrell, and Hammond all recreating their roles one last time.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers numerous times, along with many other movie musicals like Oklahoma!, because the independent stations in the New York area often used them as cheap programming on the weekends back in the 70s. Usually they would run for the whole day. Even obscure ones like Kismet (which could be a case study in bad racist tropes and brownface). Jane Powell was a delight. Although I have to say, no male musical performer today can measure up to Howard Keel.

• Love 10

73rd Primetime Emmy Awards In Memoriam 2021

It never ceases to amaze me the determination the Oscar and Emmys have in highlighting the performer(s) of the In Memoriam segment.  Stop it.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

It never ceases to amaze me the determination the Oscar and Emmys have in highlighting the performer(s) of the In Memoriam segment.  Stop it.  

Many agree with this↑, but I thought it was a lovely, subdued tribute by musicians (and humans!) who I would think those being memorialized (and their surviving families and loved ones) would appreciate and feel honored to be accompanied by.

Plus, I doubt I'm alone in not knowing many of those guys who passed, so the musicians kept me focused while waiting to see the next familiar face.

But the complaint I usually agree with is about those who passed who were omitted.
Can we get some mentions of those here?
I'm not able to recall so well anymore.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Many agree with this↑, but I thought it was a lovely, subdued tribute by musicians (and humans!) who I would think those being memorialized (and their surviving families and loved ones) would appreciate and feel honored to be accompanied by.

I agree the song choice was lovely and the musicians did a good job.  However, I still have problems with the ones supposedly being paid tribute photos being far off in the distance while the performer(s) are up close and personal.  

57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But the complaint I usually agree with is about those who passed who were omitted.

I've seen certain names floating around being omitted because they weren't included in the Primetime In Memoriam but actually were in the Creative Arts tributes.  Offhand, two I'm surprised weren't mentioned in any of the three are Frank Bonner (WKRP in Cincinnati) and Michael Constantine (Room 222,  long time character actor).  Paul Soles (voice of Spiderman and Hermey in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer) wasn't mentioned but I don't believe he was a Television Academy member as he wasn't even listed in their In Memoriam gallery of names.  

ETA:  I read the Primetime In Memoriam included 49 names.  My Monk-like tendencies is annoyed they didn't round up to 50.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8

The Emmys didn't bother to honor Norman Lloyd in their Memoriam segment! Yes, the Norman Lloyd who had  lived to 106 (!) until  May,2021 and had been a television performer, director and producer from as early as 1952 to 2010 (to say nothing of his earlier stage,  radio and movie contributions).  For shame!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

The Emmys didn't bother to honor Norman Lloyd in their Memoriam segment! Yes, the Norman Lloyd who had  lived to 106 (!) until  May,2021 and had been a television performer, director and producer from as early as 1952 to 2010 (to say nothing of his earlier stage,  radio and movie contributions).  For shame!

I agree Norman Lloyd should have made the Primetime Emmys In Memoriam, however he was honored in the 2021 Creative Arts Emmys (Saturday) tribute.  I posted the In Memoriam Creative Arts Emmys and Television Academy Gallery of Names links above.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I agree the song choice was lovely and the musicians did a good job.  However, I still have problems with the ones supposedly being paid tribute photos being far off in the distance while the performer(s) are up close and personal.  

This is my perpetual complaint as well.  I couldn't see the names of some of the people because the focus was more on the musicians.  They can have musicians (or even just pre-recorded music!), but keep the focus on the screen. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Plus, I doubt I'm alone in not knowing many of those guys who passed, so the musicians kept me focused while waiting to see the next familiar face.

I can’t recall when they died, but Fred & Ginger,my all time favorites, were the best dancers I’ve ever seen.  I watch on Turner Classics every time they are on.  They are in the N.Y.C. Wax Museum dancing.  Gorgeous!

• Love 3

Jimmy Garrett who'd played Lucy's son Jerry Carmichael on The Lucy Show (1962-1965), died September 17,2021 evidently due to complications of diabetes and a fall. He was 66.

He married somewhat late in life and had two minor children before he and his ex one Laura Johansen split.  

On a somewhat lighter note, when he was on the show, Vivian Vance told him that he got all the 'Fred' lines and did them better 'than that old poop' .

Roughly a year after his last appearance on the sitcom, Lucy received a letter from her son in boarding school ('Lucy Gets Caught Up in the Draft'). For reasons known only to herself, Miss Ball insisted that her character refer to her absent son as 'Jimmy' despite the fact that the character had been named 'Jerry'. She refused to listen to those who tried to point out that 'Jimmy' was the performer's name but not the character's name and the scene got filmed her way. 

https://extratv.com/2021/09/18/jimmy-garrett-lucys-son-on-the-lucy-show-dies-at-67/

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
On 9/20/2021 at 1:11 PM, Browncoat said:

This is my perpetual complaint as well.  I couldn't see the names of some of the people because the focus was more on the musicians.  They can have musicians (or even just pre-recorded music!), but keep the focus on the screen. 

The focus on the musicians has become so common during those segments that people are actually surprised and sometimes shocked when the opposite happens. I think it was the Grammys that actually focused on the artists that died during their In Memoriam segment earlier this year.

I didn't watch any of the shows on which Garson was a regular, but I saw him in a few one-off roles in film and television - most notably as Henry Weems in "The Goldberg Variation" episode of The X-Files.  He was great in that, giving the character the perfect blend of good and bad.

• Love 6
On 9/20/2021 at 6:48 AM, MissAlmond said:

I agree - They should have kept the camera on the pictures of the people who died.   I couldn't tell who some of them were due to the angle of the pictures.  And they did something innovative in those pictures.  A lot of them had the people in backgrounds that showed where they worked.  Gavin McLeod had a cruise ship.  Alex Trebek had Jeopardy's set.  And the funniest was Charles Grodin with a talk show set.  When I think of him - I remember his "fights" with Letterman and Carson.

And I am glad that they ended with Michael K. Williams.  I am still crying.  He was a tremendous, tremendous loss.

• Love 10

Man, Willie Garson was such a great character actor.  He was so fun in all his roles (that I saw him in).  I didn’t realize he was ‘that young’.  

I say that, because I’m 57 and I feel old.  He was born exactly two months before me.

6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Man, Willie Garson was such a great character actor.  He was so fun in all his roles (that I saw him in).  I didn’t realize he was ‘that young’.  

I say that, because I’m 57 and I feel old.  He was born exactly two months before me.

Cancer sucks.  Willie Garson was one of those actors that when I saw him on my screen - I always smiled. 

• Love 11
On 9/20/2021 at 6:48 AM, MissAlmond said:

What do you mean by stop it?  

9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What do you mean by stop it?

Shorthand for:  Stop highlighting the performer(s) OF the In Memoriam and put the focus on the people actually IN it. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Man, RIP Willie Garson.  I enjoyed him as Mozzie on White Collar, and he had small roles in lots of other things like Quantum Leap and Stargate SG-1, and even movies like Groundhog Day.

A friend and I were just talking about "Wormhole Xtreme" last week.

• Love 2

About Willie Garson, I don't think I ever saw any of the shows that he had big roles in, but since I watch reruns of Friends all the time, to me he's always the guy who wanted Ross to pitch in for a handyman's retirement on the same day Ross moved into his new apartment. "Go back to 3B, 3B !" he said, when Ross crashed the party without chipping in. Also, when I see his name, it always sounds French ( in my head), like garcon, a fancy waiter or something.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Aw man, you just know Mario is gutted....they were so close.

Sweet Sweetback was hella weird, I liked his other stuff though.

Rest well, sir.

Fuckin' 2021!!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, willco said:

About Willie Garson, I don't think I ever saw any of the shows that he had big roles in, but since I watch reruns of Friends all the time, to me he's always the guy who wanted Ross to pitch in for a handyman's retirement on the same day Ross moved into his new apartment. "Go back to 3B, 3B !" he said, when Ross crashed the party without chipping in. Also, when I see his name, it always sounds French ( in my head), like garcon, a fancy waiter or something.

I was rewatching Cheers last year and caught Willie Garson playing a restaurant waiter in an episode. It was pretty early in the run of the show, as it was still the Diane years.

• Love 5

I enjoyed the episode of Living Single where Melvin and Mario Van Peebles play a father and son who unwittingly begin dating Regine at the same time.  She doesn't know at first either, but then tries to juggle them until they figure it out and she's busted.  There are a lot of good inside jokes in the episode too, including when Regine and Warner (Melvin's character) are at dinner and she expresses sympathy for him not liking the movie they'd just seen.  He declares, "I'm sorry.  I've just never been a big Mario Van Peebles fan."

• Love 12
5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I enjoyed the episode of Living Single where Melvin and Mario Van Peebles play a father and son who unwittingly begin dating Regine at the same time.  She doesn't know at first either, but then tries to juggle them until they figure it out and she's busted.  There are a lot of good inside jokes in the episode too, including when Regine and Warner (Melvin's character) are at dinner and she expresses sympathy for him not liking the movie they'd just seen.  He declares, "I'm sorry.  I've just never been a big Mario Van Peebles fan."

It is too bad that epilogues are cut out from shows nowadays, we now get the annoyingly quick credits....with this particular eppy, Mario's character is describing the weather (he was a weatherman) and he's having a breakdown due to the fact that Regine chose his father over him.

Anybody remember the wonderful 1988 show Sonny Spoon that Mario was in?  Melvin played (natch!) his father, that show was funny and I wish it would have been given more of a chance to grow.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Llywela said:

Yes, he played a somewhat unsympathetic character (a married person always trying to sneak off to have trysts with a would- be co-adulterer) but his schemes would always end in hilarious failure so that (somewhat ) redeemed him. The irony is that Mr. Fyfe died just weeks after his real-life wife of over 60 years had died so one might give him the benefit of the doubt that he was a more dedicated spouse than the character he played.

RIP, Mr. Fyfe. 

• Love 2