Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

http://tvline.com/2016/08/16/john-mclaughlin-dead-age-89-mclaughlin-group-host/

John McLaughlin, the host of TV’s The McLaughlin Group since its debut in January 1982, died on Tuesday at age 89. 

The political commentator’s passing comes just days after he missed his first hosting of his eponymous syndicated public affairs program in more than 34 years. 

“I am under the weather,” McLaughlin explained in a note that prefaced this past weekend’s telecast. His distinct, once-bellowing voice, heard in pre-taped intros, was “weaker than usual,” McLaughlin acknowledged. “Yet my spirit is strong and my dedication to the show remains absolute!” 

McLaughlin had moderated the weekly round-table discussion of political issues since Day 1, but had actively participated in the conversation less frequently in recent months, sometimes merely introducing the next issue.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2016 at 4:25 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I'll never think of him without remembering Dana Carvey doing him on SNL. "WRONG!"

Ha-ha, first thing I did was Google "SNL McLaughlin Group."  Followed, of course, by "The Sinatra Group."

• Love 4

Seriously, 2016!? As if you haven't killed enough already, you had to take Kenny Baker, Fyvush Finkel, Arthur Hiller, Gloria DeHaven, David Huddleston, John Saunders, Barbara Gibb and Jack Reilly too!? Like I've said before, I can't wait for January 1st, 2017 to come so you can die, too! Edited to add, because it can never, ever be said too much:

FUCK YOU, 2016!!

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DollEyes said:

Seriously, 2016!? As if you haven't killed enough already, you had to take Kenny Baker, Fyvush Finkel, Arthur Hiller, Gloria DeHaven, David Huddleston, John Saunders, Barbara Gibb and Jack Reilly too!? Like I've said before, I can't wait for January 1st, 2017 to come so you can die, too! Edited to add, because it can never, ever be said too much:

FUCK YOU, 2016!!

Careful.  Baby 2017 might be hearing in utero somewhere and getting ideas.

• Love 2

He was Stu Pickles too?! *cries*

2 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

Yeah call me crazy, but I'm guessing someone famous or fame adjacent is gonna die in 2017.  Maybe more than one.

If they're people that have lived long full lives, it's not so bad. It's when they've died of cancer or an ailment or some freak accident is where we have issues.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

He was Stu Pickles too?! *cries*

If they're people that have lived long full lives, it's not so bad. It's when they've died of cancer or an ailment or some freak accident is where we have issues.

Unless it's an institution such as Betty White or Dick Van Dyke.  EVERYONE will have issues then!

(Ignore me, 2017.  You weren't supposed to hear that!)

• Love 7
20 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

Yeah call me crazy, but I'm guessing someone famous or fame adjacent is gonna die in 2017.  Maybe more than one.

I already know that famous people will die next year, but hopefully it won't be as bad as this year's killing spree. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DollEyes said:

I already know that famous people will die next year, but hopefully it won't be as bad as this year's killing spree. 

Yeah, there's been so many YOUNG (ie under 70) celebrities passing on this year.  And many from cancer.

You're always gonna get ur freak accidents, like Anton, Paul, James Dean, but cancer has been brutal this year.

So I say F-U cancer and 2016.  They've been conspiring together.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Yeah, there's been so many YOUNG (ie under 70) celebrities passing on this year.  And many from cancer.

You're always gonna get ur freak accidents, like Anton, Paul, James Dean, but cancer has been brutal this year.

So I say F-U cancer and 2016.  They've been conspiring together.

Definitely. My uncle died from the stuff this year. Dammit 2016, chill out. Same goes with cancer.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Definitely. My uncle died from the stuff this year. Dammit 2016, chill out. Same goes with cancer.

My condolences, AntiBee.

My step-dad's lady friend  (they've been together abt 15 yrs), just finished treatment for breast cancer.  Thank God they caught it at Stage 1, or she could've been another causality. 

1 minute ago, roamyn said:

My condolences, AntiBee.

My step-dad's lady friend  (they've been together abt 15 yrs), just finished treatment for breast cancer.  Thank God they caught it at Stage 1, or she could've been another causality. 

Thanks.

Dang. That's good. Yea. Cancer is one nasty thing.

8 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Just heard:

Matt Roberts, guitarist for 3 Doors Down, dead at 38.

Edited by roamyn

What has made 2016 notable is not just the number of deaths, but how so many came right at the beginning of the year and just kept coming, and how many were very famous. I was watching one of the first Mock the Week episodes of this year and one of the answers was 3. One of the contestants suggested the answer was "how many celebrities will be left alive at the end of this year." So, although 2017 will mow down some more big names, 2016 has really distinguished itself in both speed and number.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Boy, 2016, just because we bad-mouth you, that is NO reason to take it personally and start mowing celebs down at relatively young ages in retaliation.  Chill the hell out!

If you know anything about Pearlman, you know his death isn't exactly sad. 

But I try really hard not to speak ill of the dead, so I'll stop there.

• Love 1

Toots Thielemans

Not only remember his work on the Sesame Street theme song, but his work on Billy Joel's music  - specifically the "Innocent Man" album.  He was even given kudos in the live performance video for "Leave a Tender Moment Alone" .  I remember when the tune came out and Toots was getting some coverage on entertainment shows.  It was mentioned he had asthma, yet still managed to have the breath to play so well!

RIP Toots.

Edited by magicdog