Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Last Day On Earth

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Well, I got yelled at for mentioning in the no spoiler section, though showed up in the preview for this episode last week.  So, now that we know who is, I'm throwing these out there...

Wise BMoore4026 to spoilertag the crap out of your post. Much appreciated. I have no idea WHAT Lucille was either, so that's why it's a spoiler.

It's Glenn.  He's the only face you didn't see with the bat pointing at him.

Goddamn you....you are right...

• Love 3

I thought the bat was kind of...disappointing.  I was expecting some kind of spiked bat, not one with what looked like wire wrapped around it.  Or were there  little spikes that I just didn't see?  Maybe I was thinking about a caveman's club.

(edited)

It's possible The Talking Dead is actually a better, more entertaining show than TWD at this point.

That is quite a statement....considering how shite the Talking Dead is!

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 8
(edited)

Is Negan Robert Downey Jr.'s brother?

"Ironman this, Ironman that .... they'll see what I can do if we ever have  a zombie apocalypse.  I'll rule the world!"

Yes, he's also Javier Bardem's better-looking twin.

One "huh?" moment was when Negan stopped by Abraham and just said, "I really have to shave this shit." Also, Abraham looked huge there.

I think we did see the bat point to Glenn at one point. It pointed at each person - Glenn's turn came a few lines before the end. Not that it matters, since Negan was going at his own pace.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 3

It's funny, when Eugene stayed behind in the RV, I started crying. I so feared he would die. I never thought I'd be upset about Eugene dying.

After hearing Negan ramble on for what felt like 3 hours, I just wanted him to pick a victim already. Now? I honest to God don't give a rat's behind who we lost. I have never been so pissed off by a cliffhanger.

Me too. I was bawling when they left Eugene. Who knew I liked him so much?

I'm not a comic reader, but a friend inadvertently spoiled me as to who gets Lucilled. The thing is, I know this show doesn't necessarily follow the book to a tee so who knows who will end up being on the receiving end. I'm just severely pissed that they didn't bother to show us tonight.

• Love 6

Ugh I'm so conflicted about it.  Everybody really brought their A game acting wise so that helped me.  You could really see Rick staring to lose it as he realized how many Saviours there were and how organized they are.  I am still a Melissa McBride fangirl, even if I'm iffy on where they're going with Carol.  JDM is smoking hot but God the monologuing!  Enough!  Though he was terrifying at least.  But the cliffhanger just killed it for me even though I kept hearing it would end that way I was disappointed.  

• Love 10

Jesus fucking christ, THAT'S Lucille?? My god.

I honestly had butterflies in my stomach the entire time. Negan and his henchmen are pure evil. I was yelling at the TV, to just mow down those assholes blocking their path. With the first group, just take a machine gun, mow then all down and plow through with the RV.

Sorry Morgan, but you will never convince me that ALL LIVES MATTER. Not Negan's group. They all deserve to die. I really need someone to find another RPG and just take out Negan's gang.

At least Morgan redeemed himself slightly. Parallel with Carol not wanting to kill and being suicidal, and Morgan being suicidal and not killing. Carol has a 6th sense - she left at the right time, just like when Rick kicked her out and Terminus happened.

Andrew Lincoln is such a phenomenal actor - the fear on his face in the final scenes - god he is amazing. Emmy please for this man.

So we don't know who really gets killed. Cliffhanger, damn you show? It's definately NOT Carl or Rick. But man, this show...

I was yelling "where are those fuckin RPg thingys when you really need them?"

Loved the seemingly noble knights in not so white shining armor, though.

• Love 12

I generally try to avoid spoilers, but I caught a bit of the online "Yes, Nagan's coming, bitches!" and the rah-rah woo-hoo excitement about seeing Lucille. The over the top enthusiasm of this anticipation has completely turned me off to this character and his Holy Weapon. And the season-long introduction of this storyline did not help.

ITA. It felt like the producers wanted to use the "Negan is coming!" spoiler to build suspense over the last couple of episodes for those who had read the comics.

Those of those who were unfamiliar with the character didn't have that same level of suspense and got handed twenty minutes of Negan telling us how evil he was. That's not character development.

• Love 19

This was so unnecessary. This is more of a mid season move, not a season finale. Like people weren't going to tune in for S7 opening if they show who got Lucilled?

And anyway, it will be spoiled eventually, because I doubt they would leave the actors up in the air, only to let the poor bastard out of a job when it's too late to get casted for tv next season.

Personally, I don't care, if spoilers get out, I'll read them. I'm not gonna entertain the producers and their mystery bullshit writing.

• Love 19
(edited)

I loved how chill and low drama Morgan's showdown with the armoured guys was.

Morgan: My friend needs help.
Hot armoured dude: Let's get you some help.
Morgan: Okay.

Meanwhile, over at Saviourtown...

CDB: DEAR GOD WHY AAAAAAUGH!

Edited by Eyes High
  • LOL 1
  • Love 22

The thing with Michonne's hair thoroughly disgusted and scared me. And yes, Andrew Lincoln SOLD IT. Also, can I just say how hot he is with his bow legged walk and fall jacket?

YES! The modern day Lancelots. I want to know more about them,

EXACTLY! It's just like the Glenn fakeout. When we finally saw what happened to him, too much time had gone by and I was all "meh". As much as it destroyed me, Hershel's death had an impact because I didn't see it coming. It was swift and brutal. And I got to properly mourn him. If we come back next season to an opening of Michonne or Glenn laying on the ground, I'll be sad, but detached from it. I'll feel robbed.

I feel the exact opposite. He said if anyone moves, take the kid's other eye out and feed it to Rick. So that tells me Rick and Carl are safe. If he was beating Carl, there wouldn't be another eye, nor would anyone be able to get in the way.

Thank you for clarifying that! I misheard what he was saying the first time. Now that I know, I don't think it was Carl.

• Love 2
(edited)

And how did they know it would be that day?  I mean, I presume they were watching Alexandria and could have signaled ahead... wait, no, because then what's the point of the cat and mouse game all episode... you know what?   I'm already putting too much thought into it.

Because they read the script in advance? Ha. I see posters ranting on about Rick, but everything Negan and his people did was completely unrealistic without time travel or ESP.  How could Rick or anyone realistically anticipate that these people would be in place setting walker chain gangs, wooden fire traps, etc. on every single road? Even with machinery, it would have taken a day or two to cut the wood and put it across that road. It is the only thing that happens on tv or in the comics.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 22

I posted with great assurance in the no-spoiler thread that they weren't going to end last week with a "Who got shot?" cliffhanger and this week with a "Who got killed?" cliffhanger.  Color me stupid for giving them too much credit.

I just find it hard to believe the production team miscalculated so badly, though.  The buzz would have been huge if they'd shown the victim, with a percentage of people mad because that was their favorite character.

Now the huge buzz will come from everyone being so pissed off about the lame cop-out ending.

• Love 19

As bad as it is for us.Laurie Holden did an interview for the Talking Dead - the cast won't know until they return next season.  That's cruel  Let the actor know so they can do pilot season at the very least.

That's FUCKED UP. That's not cool. Not cool at all.

• Love 8
Exactly!! To me this is disrespecting the audience. Why do this? We are all grownups.

Except half their audience is made up of teenage girls. At least half. Teenage boys too. And I bet they're all thrilled.

• Love 3
(edited)

What the fuck is wrong with this show?  How could they not learn from the Glen fiasco?  A season ending cliffhanger?  That's just bullshit.  

They didn't show the last few people on the bat and he wasn't switching people on each word.  It could be anyone other than Rick or Carl.

I'm skipping next season's opener and I'll just binge watch the season later.  If they think I'm gonna care who died after waiting the summer, they are so so wrong. 

Edited by rab01
  • Love 6

Seriously, it took so long to get to the beating, through so.many.commercials, it really didn't feel nearly as horrifying as I expected. Well, also, yeah, not knowing who it was. There was a lot of dread but then no payoff to that -- which just feels annoying. I felt devastated by Hershel's death, OTOH.

• Love 12

It's possible The Talking Dead is actually a better, more entertaining show than TWD at this point.

For the first time, I can't bring myself to watch it.  I had to turn it off because Hardwick introduced it anticipating reaction was going to be a tongue bathing of praise at the show's awesomeness and the viewers would need counseling over their devastation.  Umm, no.

I'm not going to pretend I'm quitting.  I won't.  The show has good episodes.  I'll keep watching.  But the pacing sucks.  I have no doubt that the next season will jump ahead and we'll see parts of the cast over various episode and be left at the end of the mid season with a handful unaccounted for and a replay of this finale and then find out in the next mid season premiere who died and then they'll jump ahead a year in time.

I really have only one positive about the episode.  AL's acting was fantastic.

• Love 13
(edited)

JDM is very charismatic and watchable, even when yammering on too long before swinging the bat.  I didn't think the Governor was charismatic at all, so JDM is a big improvement in the villain department.

However, that cliffhanger was just as annoying as I knew it would be.  I knew it was coming, but it was still just as frustrating and obnoxious as I feared. 

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 9

Because they read the script in advance? Ha. I see posters ranting on about Rick, but everything Negan and his people did was completely unrealistic without time travel or ESP.  How could Rick or anyone realistically anticipate that these people would be in place setting walker chain gangs, wooden fire traps, etc. on every single road? Even with machinery, it would have taken a day or two to cut the wood and put it across that road. It is the only thing that happens on tv or in the comics.

Or one of CDB was a spy for Negan. 

The only wank I have is that they just kept that stuff around like the walker chain and rolled it out when needed.

I have to wonder if the character that dies is going to be determined by contract negotiation.

• Love 3

As bad as it is for us.Laurie Holden did an interview for the Talking Dead - the cast won't know until they return next season.  That's cruel  Let the actor know so they can do pilot season at the very least.

This is how contracts get renegotiated. I thought the episode worked. It would not have been boring, IMO, if it hadn't been broken up every two minutes with commercials. The group getting herded just as they started the season trying to herd the walkers was pretty cool, and the Winchester Brothers' Dad was scary as heck. Have not liked Carol's suicidal turn after having grown into a kickass survivor. I think she has a lot to regret, but wallowing in it seems backsliding to me. Interested in the horsemen. I think working for Negan is not going to be pleasant, but I can see some Alexandrians (I'm looking at you, Spencer) giving in. Working surreptitiously to disrupt the Saviors is where someone like Carol IS needed.

• Love 11

Except half their audience is made up of teenage girls. At least half. Teenage boys too. And I bet they're all thrilled.

Well I don't know the demographics at all but Twitter is in general livid about this. I'll bet the lions' share of the audience, no matter what demo, is pissed.

• Love 6
(edited)

LOL I wasn't even spoiled and knew this shit was going to end on a "Who-got-killed?": cliffhanger. The Walking Dead has become so predictable. I miss the earlier seasons, where deaths were actually shocking and somewhat frequent. The final scene of this episode was indeed a cop-out and took away any emotional  resonance I might have felt when the series returns. I don't care WHO dies. I don't watch for that. I watch to see how its going to impact the rest of the survivors (like Shane and Herschel's death). It would've been so much better to see who met their fate with Lucille and the emotional reaction of the rest of the CDB.  The episode would've still ended on a cliffhanger regardless because we don't know how RIck and co are going to escape being enslaved by the Saviors. No need for this extra bullshit.

I'm glad to see the backlash. Fans deserve better than this crap. 

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 17

I defend Walking Dead so much. A lot of drubbing this show gets online is unwarranted, IMO.

But, FUCK THIS SHIT!

A 90 minute episode and we still have to wait for the conclusion of the scene. Are you fucking killing me?

All of the attacks this show got for the dragging out of Glenn's survival and they do it again on a grander scale?

It also reeks of the show itself not even being sure who got killed. Fuck outta here.

#Whoisit my ass. Deez nuts. That's who it is. I'm not going to be talking and speculating about who bit the dust like they want me to. Because none of the reading into who was on the camera at one time and all that jazz matters. They can kill who ever they want. I'm just going to be annoyed.

• Love 16
(edited)

I have to wonder if the character that dies is going to be determined by contract negotiation.

They start filming next season next month. I am sure that they already filmed the death in that episode and that the actor knows that he or she is now gone.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I actually liked how almost defiant Carl was facing down Negan. I mean, he was the only one (maybe besides Abe) who wasn't pissing his pants.  I'm looking forward to his evolution....was Negan's 'future serial killer' quip some foreshadowing? Hopefully, CR is up to the task.

Oh, and I hope Darryl dies.

• Love 5

Ok did I miss something??? Did they reveal who got shot from last week??? Daryl? Rosita? What is going on with this show? So much material to work with so why are the writers so dismissive of the audience and over indulgent and heavy handed?

Instead of having the super fan contest for the awful show that is TD, they need super fan guest writers. I'm actually looking forward to the start of FTWD next week....at least I know the writing is awful and have set my expectations low.

• Love 3

Flirt

You just hold on to that thought.

signed

The Black Widow

aka Carol

Do we know if the people Morgan met are good?

That seems like a question best asked and answered in the spoiler or comics threads, amirite?

• Love 4
(edited)

If they had to go with a cliffhanger, then the big mistake they made was making so many people a possibility.  I think had they picked three characters, all of whom would be devastating, then it would have had a bigger impact.

As it is there are a lot of red shirt possibilities.

And yes, it does kind of feel like a renegotiation ploy given this show's history with AMC and budgets.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4
And anyway, it will be spoiled eventually, because I doubt they would leave the actors up in the air, only to let the poor bastard out of a job when it's too late to get casted for tv next season.

During the airing, one commercial was for a new TV show called Ride with Norman Reedus. Granted, he could film it during the WD hiatus, but I side-eyed that big time. I feel the need for a poll....

• Love 4

I'm disappointed. I'm fine with Jeffrey Dean Morgan but Negan was exactly what I expected and I'm not okay with that. The show didn't need another psychopath IMO and yet that's what I got. Carl, Rick and Michonne better survive this tool.

• Love 8

If they had started the episode with Negan just strolling out and bashing someone, everyone would have stood up and taken attention. Then he could have speechified, because they would be worried that he would kill another. Kneeling there and trying not to react because Negan said that would make him kill another would have been much more impactful of a scene. They also could have shown that scene, and then made us wait to the end to see what happened after it. 

I have to say that Norman was cute on TTD and his hair looked good too. 

• Love 10

I'm glad that Morgan, who I really haven't liked thus far, saved Carol even though she doesn't want to be saved. MM is my favorite member of the cast.
As for the ending....what a piece of sadistic shit. I guess the writers don't have much faith in the intelligence of the audience. Right now I don't give a rat's ass who got killed tonight...and I'm certainly not gonna fret, talk and speculate for the next 6 months,. I JUST DON"T CARE!!

Writers, I think you really screwed up and definitely misunderstood the intelligence of the audience...I think it's gonna cause quite a few folks to deliberately miss the season 7 opener,.....but that's just my two cents.

• Love 12
(edited)

I actually enjoyed the episode. AND the cliffhanger. I'm glad I have months to process what happened and I won't be as gutted as I would have been if I had seen who it was. So to me it wasn't a cop-out or a cheat. And I think the show runners and actors have done a great job with the season.

I didn't want to quote your whole post, but I would give it 100 thumbs up if I could. I thought the episode was great, suspenseful, and heartbreaking. I have no problem with the cliffhanger. It is a dramatic device used forever. I probably will know before next season starts who died, but it won't make it any less heartbreaking. I can't wait to see how Rick and his people deal with the fall out and plot their revenge next season.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14
(edited)
Why don't the folks at CDB just pack up and leave ... Negan's reach can only go so far.

That's what I'm saying. Agree to this little job opportunity, then pack up and leave in the middle of the night.

If they had started the episode with Negan just strolling out and bashing someone, everyone would have stood up and taken attention. Then he could have speechified, because they would be worried that he would kill another. Kneeling there and trying not to react because Negan said that would make him kill another would have been much more impactful of a scene. They also could have shown that scene, and then made us wait to the end to see what happened after it.

Can we replace the writers with you?

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 9

I actually enjoyed the episode. AND the cliffhanger. I'm glad I have months to process what happened and I won't be as gutted as I may have been if I had seen who it was and watched him or her get Lucilled. So to me it wasn't a cop-out or a cheat. And I think the show runners and actors have done a great job with the season.

IMO I think most people who watch the show and don't go on forums, which is a much larger number than what is represented in forums about the show, are not going to be as upset about the cliffhanger. They're not as emotionally invested and therefore will not feel as "cheated" as people who log on religiously to forums to get updates and post about how much the show or episode sucked or sucks and how it's all going to hell and going to be cancelled eventually because it sucks so much and these people are so stupid they could not possibly survive a truly real life zombie apocalypse and so stupid because they fell into a trap and so stupid because they talk too much even though it's a television show and how that can't possibly happen because in the comics this happened and the fans are really super mad and so they can't do that again.

I'm sorry but the show has been successful all of these years running their own show and doing things their way without worrying about people feeling cheated or getting butt hurt. I get that people may not be happy with the episode/show/series but to say that they've disrespected their fans and cheated the viewers is ridiculous IMO. I may not always be happy with some of their choices but in the long run I think they've done a helluva job and I think this was a greatly tense episode and intensely enjoyable yet not enjoyable cliffhanger.

So I may be in the minority but kudos to the show and their cliffhanger. And a huge kudos to all of the actors who I think did a great job this season including this episode.

Not want to be in a debate and I know mileage greatly varies, but I just needed to get it off my chest because I've been reading so much negativity that I just don't agree with and makes little sense to me as a television show and form of entertainment about freaken zombies.

My guess is that Abraham got Lucilled based on his storyline and anvils, as well as Negan himself and his addressing/positioning. Although Eugene and Glen were also heavily anviled, Eugene was the last one on the right and Glen was the last one on the left, so Negan's position didn't fit where they were kneeling.

Are you trying to meta-analysis us?  

Let me ask you one question ... would Sophie's Choice have been more impactful if the "Choice" were left to a sequel later that year? 

• Love 9