Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Last Day On Earth

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

So I finally watched the whole episode. Okay, show, I get it. The Saviors are scary. But how did they know that Rick and his group were leaving? And where they were going? Maggie's thing was an unexpected emergency.

When Rick and his group were leaving and Gabriel talked about shifts and evacuation plans and I don't know what the hell I was like "with who? Are there a bunch of redshirts in Alexandria that I'm forgetting?" I feel like Alexandria is 20 people and 15 were already out doing stuff and getting kidnapped and shit.

I liked Negan (great casting), but his scene dragged waaaay tooo long. I hope his plot is resolved in a season though, and they don't drag it out more than necessary.

I don't really care about who died, though. And I will probably care even less in I don't know how many months.

• Love 3

So I finally watched the whole episode. Okay, show, I get it. The Saviors are scary. But how did they know that Rick and his group were leaving? And where they were going? Maggie's thing was an unexpected emergency.

When Rick and his group were leaving and Gabriel talked about shifts and evacuation plans and I don't know what the hell I was like "with who? Are there a bunch of redshirts in Alexandria that I'm forgetting?" I feel like Alexandria is 20 people and 15 were already out doing stuff and getting kidnapped and shit.

There has to be a mole in ASZ right?

We were given a population figure for ASZ when Jesus had the chat at the dining table.  He said it is 53, which Maggie corrected to be 54.

• Love 2

There has to be a mole in ASZ right?

We were given a population figure for ASZ when Jesus had the chat at the dining table.  He said it is 53, which Maggie corrected to be 54.

I'm pretty sure Maggie said, "More than that" when Jesus said 53. I suspect his count, along with all the other intel he'd gathered, was uncomfortably accurate but no way was she going to confirm it. I don't think he was convinced, but if you count Maggie's baby (jellybean size though he or she may be), technically she wasn't lying!

I'm pretty sure Maggie said, "More than that" when Jesus said 53. I suspect his count, along with all the other intel he'd gathered, was uncomfortably accurate but no way was she going to confirm it. I don't think he was convinced, but if you count Maggie's baby (jellybean size though he or she may be), technically she wasn't lying!

When Maggie said that, my impression was that her statement was a kneejerk response; Maggie was rattled by Jesus' calm and accurate assessment, and her immediate reaction was to kick back with an attempt to jar Jesus' confidence - a variation on "You don't know as much as you think you do, Mr. Smarty Pants."

I feel like I may have said this before - but in truth, Maggie's indefinite "Uh-uh" response to Jesus' definite statement did more to convince me of the accuracy of Jesus' assessment than anything else.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 5

Exactly. He took her off guard and she shot back like, nuh-uh! I loved the look on both their faces during that exchange. She knew that he knew, and he knew that she knew that he knew. It was pretty funny. Actually, that entire scene at the table was really entertaining between that, Daryl's butt hurt snarking and Carl's side-eye making Michonne squirm. But I digress. Ahem.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 3

Yea, Maggie made that 54 claim, but I'd like actual stats on that. Heath is still alive, but he and Tara are on a run. Spencer could take guard duty shift (as long as he doesn't leave the gate open again), and maybe Tobin and Francine. Who else? Erik? Olivia? Enid, if she wasn't still locked in the closet?

The Cable Live + 7 Ratings are in for "Last Day on Earth":

The Season 6 finale of "The Walking Dead" made the largest gains in the Live +7 ratings for the week of March 28-April 3.

The finale, which also led the same-day and Live +3 ratings, comes in at 9.6 in adults 18-49 (up from a 6.9 in same-day) and 19.363 million viewers (from 14.193 million).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/18/cable-live-7-ratings-march-28-april-3-2016/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I still haven't watched the Season 6 Finale, but for those who did...

For fans still steaming mad over The Walking Dead's decision to leave us with a massive cliffhanger after introducing Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) in the final moments of season six, the powers that be want you to know that they really, really weren't trying to intentionally piss you off.

http://www.eonline.com/news/762265/the-walking-dead-boss-is-sorry-season-6-s-cliffhanger-made-you-angry-find-out-what-he-promised?cmpid=rd-xfinity-comcast-eonline

On 4/16/2016 at 2:41 AM, natyxg said:

There might not be a mole, but the Saviors have already discovered that Rick's group is from Alexandria. So they probably have someone staking it out, and we know they have access to walkie-talkies. And since they've probably figured out that there is some connection between Alexandria and the Hilltop, they almost certainly mapped all the likely routes between Alexandria and the Hilltop and planned their ambush accordingly. They didn't need to know that Maggie was in trouble, just that the Alexandrians were heading toward the Hilltop.

So they ambush them on the most likely route, and send out their other squads to the other routes. When Eugene gets caught, he probably tells them or somehow infers to them that the rest of the group is heading through the woods and they set up a new ambush there, probably within a short distance of the Hilltop. And then Negan commandeers the RV and drives out there in however many unseen hours passed while they were waiting.

Of course, if the Alexandrians had never headed out to the Hilltop within a few days, the ambush wouldn't have happened. But I feel that Negan was preparing a Plan B if that's the case. Probably attacking Alexandria itself, or any and all of the scouting parties. Tara and Heath got out before the Saviors knew what hit them (and Daryl, Michonne, and Denise probably when the Saviors were figuring things out or planning their ambush).

It's been a while now since this abomination aired and I have to say that I'm pretty sure this season finale is where I start losing interest in The Walking Dead. Negan with his stupid name, his dumbass baseball bat and his little cult are just so far afield of anything remotely like the world we live in that I'm finding it hard to relate. They've lost the metaphor. The first few seasons, especially season one, worked well because the world of TWD was so much like the world we inhabited that we could fear what would happen in a similar situation. Now we've gone so far down the rabbit hole that I can't conceive of living in this world Kirkman and Gimple have created. Not only would I have been killed off long ago by the dead and idiots like the Termites and the Governor, I'm pretty sure I would have checked myself out because who would want to survive in such a world? What is there to look forward to? Most of your family and friends are gone, who we were as a society is pretty much irretrievably lost and now life consists of mostly the bad parts of history. Oh, and look, some office drone who used to obsessively read the Ghengis Khan Wikipedia page has trimmed out a Louisville Slugger with barbed wire and started his own cult of personality. Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/11/2016 at 3:22 PM, RustbeltWriter said:

Now we've gone so far down the rabbit hole that I can't conceive of living in this world Kirkman and Gimple have created. Not only would I have been killed off long ago by the dead and idiots like the Termites and the Governor, I'm pretty sure I would have checked myself out because who would want to survive in such a world? What is there to look forward to? Most of your family and friends are gone, who we were as a society is pretty much irretrievably lost and now life consists of mostly the bad parts of history. Oh, and look, some office drone who used to obsessively read the Ghengis Khan Wikipedia page has trimmed out a Louisville Slugger with barbed wire and started his own cult of personality. Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I would have died after a couple of days with no indoor plumbing. Not even from a bite; I would simply lose the will to live.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 7

I just marathoned the shit out of TWD. All 6 seasons in about a week and a half and enjoyed the ride. Until this episode.

The speechifying throughout this season didn't bother me until the last 10 minutes of this season. I lost so much interest I don't care who got their head bashed in and won't tune back in if I have to listen to another 10 minute speech about how evil the bad guys are. The echoing whistling was haunting but then... just STFU and do evil shit already!

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:22 PM, RustbeltWriter said:

It's been a while now since this abomination aired and I have to say that I'm pretty sure this season finale is where I start losing interest in The Walking Dead. Negan with his stupid name, his dumbass baseball bat and his little cult are just so far afield of anything remotely like the world we live in that I'm finding it hard to relate. They've lost the metaphor. The first few seasons, especially season one, worked well because the world of TWD was so much like the world we inhabited that we could fear what would happen in a similar situation. Now we've gone so far down the rabbit hole that I can't conceive of living in this world Kirkman and Gimple have created. Not only would I have been killed off long ago by the dead and idiots like the Termites and the Governor, I'm pretty sure I would have checked myself out because who would want to survive in such a world? What is there to look forward to? Most of your family and friends are gone, who we were as a society is pretty much irretrievably lost and now life consists of mostly the bad parts of history. Oh, and look, some office drone who used to obsessively read the Ghengis Khan Wikipedia page has trimmed out a Louisville Slugger with barbed wire and started his own cult of personality. Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling.

I am with you.  I have gotten tired of the same plotlines every season now.  It seems the writers could come up with something else aside from another a$$hat bully to defeat.  I am past caring who got "Lucilled" and am ready for the resolution of Negan and on to some world building.  I realize that the show needs to have conflict to be interesting, but does that conflict and problem solving always have to be the defeat of some big bad bully?

It is time for the show to start dropping clues as to how this virus came about, and to branch off into the problems and technologies of sustaining a survivable lifestyle in a world that no longer has the modern conveniences of reliable utilities, medical facilities, grocery stores and other shopping facilities.  Eventually there will be nothing left to scavenge from the abandoned stores and it would be interesting to watch them scale back their expectations and technology and relearn to do things the way people did in the preindustrial  age. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Geillis said:

It is time for the show to start dropping clues as to how this virus came about

Don't hold your breath; Kirkman has said multiple times he has no interest in the actual mechanisms of the zombie virus.  :(

• Love 1
On 5/11/2016 at 3:22 PM, RustbeltWriter said:

Oh, and look, some office drone who used to obsessively read the Ghengis Khan Wikipedia page has trimmed out a Louisville Slugger with barbed wire and started his own cult of personality. 

(If I'm repeating observations posted earlier by others, forgive me.   I just saw the episode tonight on Netflix and haven't had time to read all 17 pages).  

Negan comes off as a thinly-veiled retread of General Bethlehem from The Postman, who was a copy machine salesman before the apocalypse and through the strength of his personality rose to the position of dictator.

It was hard to swallow that Negan AND all his goons all talk like snarky game show hosts.   Negan, okay, whatever.   But EVERY Savior crew leader Rick and the others meets on the road has a monologue too?   Come on.   Way too Tarantino.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is fine but he'll always be Jeffrey Dean Morgan.   He can only do one character -- himself.  How terrifying can a guy be if he's just a TV-MALV version of the guy he played in The Good Wife?   A newcomer might have been a better choice. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2016 at 6:05 AM, millennium said:

Negan comes off as a thinly-veiled retread of General Bethlehem from The Postman, who was a copy machine salesman before the apocalypse and through the strength of his personality rose to the position of dictator.

This is an excellent observation. He definitely comes across as the kind of guy to reinvent himself in the apocalypse.

Watching Big Red say goodbye to Eugene, and Rick. How heartbreaking  knowing what is going to happen in a few. I forgot how endearing Eugene could be. I became so angry with him helping Negan. I was blinded by my hate for Negan. Eugene did what he had to survive as a prisoner of war. He either did that, or died out right. By playing the game in the end he was able to save his people. This is such a sad episode. As I watch though, I can't help but think why would Maggie want to hurt Rick and Michonne next season after all they went through for her and the baby. Maggie's heart is full of hate, and revenge. I just love that they are playing the very best episodes. Who ever had the idea is a genius!