Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Last Day On Earth

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Just gone done.

And how did they know it would be that day?  I mean, I presume they were watching Alexandria and could have signaled ahead... wait, no, because then what's the point of the cat and mouse game all episode... you know what?   I'm already putting too much thought into it.

Thank you. I was confused, then bored, then confused, then pissed off. I thought I was the only one wondering HOW the bad guys knew that Maggie was pregnant, needed a doctor and then they had the time and inclination to pore over maps and put elaborate roadblocks on all of them. And then at each roadblock, more and more pointless chitchat. And how did they know exactly where CDB was going to exit the RV and walk through the woods, in time for them to all arrange themselves and coordinate their whistling or humming or whatever they doing?  Oh, my head is hurting again.

While I'm at it, how did Morgan ride up on a horse right in front of Carol's tormentor and he neither saw nor heard a HORSE clip clopping on the pavement? Speaking of the horse, I was terrified that it was going to be killed, then I got distracted thinking, "Morgan, give that horse some water!"

Actually, the boredom began at the very start of the show, as everyone had to bicker and argue about who was going and who was not, right down to Coral and Enid.

I can't even mention the end. Bastards. Agree that Andrew Lincoln's performance was stellar, and the only thing I truly enjoyed.

After all the driving, and plotting and talking and speechifying, Negan's appearance was a letdown for me. The extra 20 minutes we got wasn't plot or action, just driving and talking. Bummed.

• Love 12
(edited)
I have no problem with the cliffhanger. It is dramatic device used forever.

Maybe that's the problem. It's tired and cliche. If you write a great series, people are going to tune in no matter what, and you won't need a device to draw them in. FTR, I'm not 100% against cliffhangers. The ending of season 4, with CDB trapped in the train car, was a very well done cliffhanger. But to leave people in the dark over something we saw happen? Whose blood was that? It's just cheezy and insulting, IMO.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 24
(edited)

That's what I'm saying. Agree to this little job opportunity, then pack up and leave in the middle of the night.

Let us suppose that a whole bunch of people would get away from Negan's people safely. I cannot see him letting his potential slaves leave. Where would they go? Back on the road, walking and running endlessly like they were before with a baby? They have to make a stand in Alexandria. It is safe, has running water, solar power, and trade with other nearby communities. It is a chance for Judith and Carl and all them to have a future. I just don't see how they can leave. They have to find a way to defeat Negan and his people.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

God but JDM is HOT. And as someone said upthread, shades of the Comedian coming through.

OK, here is my guesstimate on who is safe and who may be the one Lucille'd:

I am pretty sure the women are safe. Negan has to be smart to be running a group that size. Women would be a high commodity during an apocalypse - as party favours to be handed out to higher ranking men in his group, and down the line, possible breeders for more future serial killers.

I believe Rick and Carl are safe. Negan made the comment, right before the kill, that he'd take out Carl's eye and feed it to Rick if people broke rank. You wouldn't bother warning your planned targets about that.
On the target list:

Abraham - when Negan was in his face, Abraham actually straightened right the fuck up and did the whole eye stare challenge. That's a big no-no to an Alpha like Negan.

Glenn - because, well, it's Glenn.

Daryl - Dwight would have told Negan how badass Daryl can be. Also, Daryl sort of single handedly blew up one group of men with a rocket launcher. Also, odd foreshadowing when Negan was doing the eeny meeny thing, he landed on "catch a tiger" when he got to Daryl. Tigers are dangerous.

Aaron - because he suspiciously had the least screen time during Negan's speech. I almost forgot he was there to be honest.

Eugene - he still comes across as the least badass and most useless of the group. If Negan wants these people to work for him, Eugene seems like the weak link (since Negan doesn't know that Eugene is actually pretty fucking smart and knows how to make bullets and shit)

My money is on Abe or Eugene.

• Love 8

Seriously, it took so long to get to the beating, through so.many.commercials, it really didn't feel nearly as horrifying as I expected.

Not to mention the longest, most strung out version of Eeny Meeny Miny Mo in the history of the world.

• Love 19
(edited)

Carol literally laughing in the face of death was awesome, like "That all you got, fucker?" Even when she's a fucking trainwreck, she's a badass.

So much this!  The Carol/Morgan part was the only thing I liked  this episode.

Edited by peach
  • Love 12

They have abused the cliffhanger privilege.

Honestly, I could weep for years about all of the wasted ideas and characters that the writers dreamed up and and then abandoned. I am in a foul mood from the arrogance of the two writers sitting there on TTD to the sycophant host who also has to sell this bad writing to the fans. I hate-watch TTD. It used to be fun and informative but now it's just an embarrassing shill show.

There have been some very gifted actors squandered. I feel cheated for all of my loyalty and am tired of the negatives outweighing the positives. Not sure what the answer is - a new show runner? Does it matter who the show runner is now as long as Kirkman is in the mix?

• Love 19

I heard about the cliffhanger and was hoping against hope that they would not do it. But they did. IMO, it was a poor choice. After rolling Glenn under the dumpster and trying to fake us out for three episodes, another tease was unnecessary.

I would prefer to spend six months discussing "what will our gang do now", "how will Rick process this", "how will they get revenge" rather than "who died." It's a much more worthy discussion - as I see it - to wonder how the coming season will play out than to debate a plot point that will likely get answered in the first 5 minutes of the season premiere.

I don't understand why this choice was made. It's not a bold choice of storytelling. And this show should be making bold choices after six seasons. The other flaw in this choice is their belief that they can keep the identity of the victim secret until mid October. I imagine that the secret will be blown by July for those that want to know it.

• Love 18

I didn't even know who the guy they tortured was. Anyone help me with that?

I am not sure. He mentioned that all his people at the library were dead and that is where Carol was hiding. I think that the guy Morgan cut down was with him. So I think that he was some random Red Shirt they came across.

• Love 5

Ok did I miss something??? Did they reveal who got shot from last week??? Daryl? Rosita? What is going on with this show?

It looked like Darryl was holding his arm. But lots of wasted time in this episode. Either speechifying or taking too long for Rick to get the message he's out maneuvered/gunned/smarted.

• Love 1

I feel cheated out of live posting, so these were many of my thoughts.

Oh God, no.  Buttons 2.0

Carl's trying to grow his hair as long as Enid's.

Enid seems to be being set up for Carl's future mate.  Not sure how that will go if he locks her in every time she shows some autonomy.

Abe and Sasha are a "package deal", the anti-shippers probably hated that.

Wow!  Three people.... make that four.....five?......six.  Six people are willing to die for Maggie and fetus.  A little Private Ryan.

FFP's in charge of Alexandria's defense?  An obvious sign that nothing was happening in AZ this episode.

I feel like there's always been a connection between Rick and Morgan, and it was cool to see a call back to that with Morgan riding horse through town.

Hope Savior moustache douche will die soon. 

Morgan telling Carol he's going to start listening to her soon - complete with sweet smile - tears.  I've hoped this entire season that these two would click.

Noticed Rick was carrying his lucky axe.

The first encounter with the Saviors was amusing.  I like that version of Cocky Rick.  Loved his look to the others when the guy was being spray painted.  It was like he was thinking - yeah, this fucker's crazy.  No threat to us.  Oh dear, Rick.  The chickens are coming home to roost.

I kept wishing the RV was like the one in Stripes.  Things would have gone better.

The chain gang was cool.  But a little too convenient that they picked out the clothes - just like at Terminus.

Rick ripping Michonne's dread off the walker.  He looked like he would take it home and sleep with it for the rest of his life if she was gone.

Again like Terminus - being herded by shots at their feet.  And again, CDB allowed itself to be herded.

Robocop looked kinda cool.  Looks like those of us wishing for an outside group who wasn't evil have gotten what we wished for.

Loved Morgan - yeah, found your horse for you.  Waited for him to point out - and saved your life from shoot first, ask ?s later Rick.

Morgan is better able to keep his horse alive.

Yes!  Morgan gave a chance first, then blew bad guy away.  To save Carol.  I may ship them.

In essence, Eugene was sacrificing himself for the group.  I expected him to offer himself up to Negan.

Bend the knee, Rick!  Bend the knee.  Don't be a Mance Rayder.

Oh!  Rick's face when he saw Michonne.  Glenn's face when he saw Maggie.

I was hoping Negan wouldn't realize Carl was Rick's.  I was afraid Carl would spit in Negan's face.  He's a mini-Rick.

I almost jumped up and cheered when Negan finally appeared.  The suspense was killing me.  I'm not rooting for him, but I loved JDM's portrayal, and he was loving the role.  I was strangely crying, but also laughing at times at what he said.  It was very confusing.

I'm one who has criticized Rick's pre-emptive strike against the Saviors, and lack of preparation.  They've clearly been building him up for the big fall.  I thought AL was excellent.  As the episode wore on, and with each successive road block, Rick seemed to realize the impact of his decisions.  At the end, when he was kneeling and looking like he was stunned and losing his mind, I really think he was thinking this was all on him, and the result of his plan.  I wanted Rick to be humbled, and for him to back away from the militant decision making, but I didn't want this. 

The ending was horrific.  I have no idea who he killed.  I don't want anyone to go, but I'm least attached to Rosita and Aaron.  When I thought Eugene would die, I thought of poor Tara coming back and finding out he and Denise were gone. 

• Love 9

I heard about the cliffhanger and was hoping against hope that they would not do it. But they did. IMO, it was a poor choice. After rolling Glenn under the dumpster and trying to fake us out for three episodes, another tease was unnecessary.

This is probably my main sticking point.  Why on earth did they pull that stunt in the first half, to do this in the finale?  It just feels like trolling.  So over it.

• Love 9

You picked a fine time to cleave me, Lucille...while Rick's bein' useless and there's Walkers afield. I'm tired of these jackholes, don't know their ass from their elbows. Could have spared me from Negan's whole spiel. You picked a fine time to cleave me, Lucille...

• Love 18

Maybe that's the problem. It's tired and cliche. If you write a great series, people are going to tune in no matter what, and you won't need a device to draw them in. FTR, I'm not 100% against cliffhangers. The ending of season 4, with CDB trapped in the train car, was a very well done cliffhanger. But to leave people in the dark over something we saw happen? Whose blood was that? It's just cheezy and insulting, IMO.

I have no problem with cliffhangers that do not involve the possibility of THE ENTIRE CAST.  They needed to make it which lets say 4 would be the Final Four ...eliminate the rest and you have my interest and my emotional attachment.

For me, effective cliffhanging is giving us an emotional reason to care for the next few months. We know this show will kill off the supporting characters and rarely kill a main character. So to me showing all available options, even with "eeny meeny miny moe" is too many.  We could still decide okay it's Daryl or Glenn and get worked up and then find out it's really Rosita or Abraham or Eugene or Sasha who I like but I am not motionally invested in like Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn or Maggie.

What I fear is they will do a time jump again and show us the reactions in flashback.

• Love 10

LOL, you really didn't know??  I chuckle-snorted at how much I did not believe that.

I was totally miffed that someone would spoil the name of Negan's girlfriend, so no, I did not know (nor did I want to).  Some of us ARE truly committed to remaining unsullied.

• Love 13

Because they read the script in advance? Ha. I see posters ranting on about Rick, but everything Negan and his people did was completely unrealistic without time travel or ESP.  How could Rick or anyone realistically anticipate that these people would be in place setting walker chain gangs, wooden fire traps, etc. on every single road? Even with machinery, it would have taken a day or two to cut the wood and put it across that road. It is the only thing that happens on tv or in the comics.

Thank you!  I thought the whole thing was stupid.  If they somehow knew they were headed to Hilltop, seems like they would just wait for them there, and include Jesus and Co. in this lesson.  I hate how they've ignored any followup with Hilltop since CDB attacked Negan's outpost?  Does Negan know Rick made the deal with them?  Wouldn't they be held accountable for that, as well?  Instead we get 90 minutes of fantastical road tripping, and bad tactics leading to peril.  Annoying.

• Love 6

It would've been so much better to see who met their fate with Lucille and the emotional reaction of the rest of the CDB.

Exactly! Show us who was killed, quick flash to the horrified/anguished/agonized faces of the others, cut to black.

Personally, I found nothing intimidating or scary about Negan and for damned sure he talks way too much. What a bunch of yakkers all the villains are.

It's hard to believe people who write this kind of shit continue to have jobs. Had I messed up as badly and as frequently on my job, I would have gotten the boot asap.

• Love 9
walnutqueen, on 03 Apr 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

You just hold on to that thought.

signed

The Black Widow

aka Carol

And I'm guessing Morgan is Donatello from the Ninja Turtles?  You know, he wields a staff and is basically useless?  Maybe he should also dye his hair blue and blow bubbles at the bad guys?  Or should Eugene do that?  Let the fanart of Eugene dressed as Sailor Mercury begin!

• Love 2

I thought they got Terminus right, for the most part.

I thought it was fine, but it felt like it was wrapped up in about 5 minutes when Carol took down the camp.  That's why as annoying as this cliffhanger is I'm sort of meh about it.  I don't have faith it'll be a good payoff on the other side.

I think I'm more curious about The Hilltop.  Negan has to have figured out the alliance and punished them, right?

Now that I can think about more than the ending- I kind of like Negan.  He's got a group of several dozen, he keeps them all in line (apparently), he only takes half from other groups and they do get a kind of protection from having him around (to pull off what he does the area has to be pretty zombie free).  Is that really a bad deal?  

Our group traded violence for food anyway, why not link up with the guy who has a crew that large, knows how to weaponize walkers, and clearly has some kind of magical mode of transportation?  You're gonna kill for someone.  Why not kill for the best?

• Love 4
(edited)

They have abused the cliffhanger privilege.

I'm not so sure that its that they abused the cliffhanger privilege as they abused the fake-out privilege.  They try to sell 'No One is Safe'.  But Judith didn't get eaten by zombies.  And Glenn went under a dumpster.  And Andrea, Shane, and Lori all got written into a corner before being killed.  The show is chicken shit about making the big show changing move with killing off characters.  But they love the hype.  So I can't care at all about who might have died because it will either be someone who is a B character or it will be presented in a way that softens the blow.

I would rather it be gut wrenching.  If you are going to go for it, then go for it.  A cliffhanger and then a hiatus just blunts the impact, but I think that's part of the intention.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 13

So I finally put my finger on why this bothered me so much.

This would be like making the season 3 finale of Game of Thrones the Red Wedding, but ending the episode when the Rains of Castamere start to play.

It's a moment that should be iconic, and complete...instead, it's a let down.

Excellent observation. The big, game-changing moment has to be complete not interrupted as an artificial way to build tension.

• Love 13

If they had started the episode with Negan just strolling out and bashing someone, everyone would have stood up and taken attention. Then he could have speechified, because they would be worried that he would kill another. Kneeling there and trying not to react because Negan said that would make him kill another would have been much more impactful of a scene. They also could have shown that scene, and then made us wait to the end to see what happened after it.

I have to say that Norman was cute on TTD and his hair looked good too.

THIS would have been Excellent directing❗

• Love 2

Thank you!  I thought the whole thing was stupid.  If they somehow knew they were headed to Hilltop, seems like they would just wait for them there, and include Jesus and Co. in this lesson.  I hate how they've ignored any followup with Hilltop since CDB attacked Negan's outpost?  Does Negan know Rick made the deal with them?  Wouldn't they be held accountable for that, as well?  Instead we get 90 minutes of fantastical road tripping, and bad tactics leading to peril.  Annoying.

Now that I think about it ambushing them at the Hilltop would have made sense, but how would they know that it where Rick was going? Basically, in the space of a day, they managed to block off all the roads which I find unbelievable. I found it suspenseful though. The horror as Rick and the others realized that they were being stalked and trapped was well done.

• Love 8

You picked a fine time to cleave me, Lucille...while Rick's bein' useless and there's Walkers afield. I'm tired of these jackholes, don't know their ass from their elbows. Could have spared me from Negan's whole spiel. You picked a fine time to cleave me, Lucille...

That is exactly what I was singing to myself, with only a few different lyrics!

• Love 1
(edited)

As much as it destroyed me, Hershel's death had an impact because I didn't see it coming. It was swift and brutal. And I got to properly mourn him. If we come back next season to an opening of Michonne or Glenn laying on the ground, I'll be sad, but detached from it. I'll feel robbed.

EXACTLY. Knowing who died at the season finale has NEVER prevented me from anticipating the next season. In fact, it's always made me anticipate it more because I can mourn the loss of the character and anticipate how the rest of the gang deals (plus wondering how they will get out of whatever predicament they are inevitably in).

YES to both of these. Hershel was one of my favorite characters, and I HATED losing him. But having the break to process and mourn the loss, so to speak, helped me to empathize with the characters' loss that much more when the show returned.

I agree they risk having a lot of fans feeling more detached once they finally make the reveal, because so much time will have passed, so many debates will have been beaten into the ground, people will just want to know who the hell it is and be done with it. I'm sure it'll still be very upsetting once we know, but I don't think it will have the same emotional impact as knowing now and spending the summer speculating how the hell CDB is going to get out of this clusterfuck.

This episode DID NOT have the impact on me they were going for. I love this show, and I shouldn't be feeling like the people running it has contempt for me as a viewer. This is the first time I've felt downright angry after an episode. Worst season finale of the series, IMO.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 15

LOL, you really didn't know??  I chuckle-snorted at how much I did not believe that.

I sorta knew but didn't really know. I thought it was a plain baseball bat, not a baseball bat wrapped with frigging barbed wire....

See, this is why so many hate spoilers.....

• Love 9

That was horrible. I felt like all of Rick's ....I can't even find the word..He knew he fucked up..and he couldn't fix it this time.  Andy was so great in that scene.. I mean he looked....completely broken...worse than when he went crazy town in the Prison. Just...horrible.

What killed me is that at the beginning Rick is confident that they will get to the Hilltop and, but as soon as he sees the walker with a few locks of Michonne's hair, the look on his face is heartbreaking and then he takes the hair and when he is in the RV you can see how devastated he is just looking at the hair. He was dying inside.

At Negan's camp Rick knows he screwed up. on a very shallow note, Michonne looked beautiful but pretty damn scared.

• Love 9

I wonder if Rick still thinks the deal with Hilltop was a good one.  

I think that not only are the Saviors far more in number than the ASZers, they also seem to know the terrain a lot better.   I think that as much as the original ASZ group can be faulted for being too insular, too confident in their walls and comfortable with their flush toilets, the CDB group maybe fell into that same trap and didn't spend enough time really understanding where they were in relation to everything else.  I mean, there they are in the RV studying some map trying to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B.   It was like a not-funny version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I have to say I found Carol to be incoherent tonight.  Not just because she's wounded and probably fevered.  I just didn't get the little speech about how loving someone means you have to kill for them and if you can't or don't want to then you have to leave and, I guess, wait for some creep to come along so you can lay on the ground telling him he has to kill you.  

I wonder how Enid's going to get out of that closet.  Kind of a dick move there, Carl, and now there's one less person who can help defend ASZ and protect Judith. 

• Love 4

I don't believe this had anything to do with CDB attacking their base. We already knew they were in the area scouting from their run in with Darryl, Sasha, and Abe. The Saviors have just finally found Alexandria and this is the first meeting all communities they strongarm get.

• Love 2

If they had started the episode with Negan just strolling out and bashing someone, everyone would have stood up and taken attention.

That would have been stunning and shocking and could have even ended with that and left us all agape. The way they did it just left many of us annoyed. Not the reaction they were looking for.

• Love 6

I've hated this show before.  Really hated it, and then swung back to love because I can't help it.  But as they say, the opposite of love is actually indifference.  And that's how I feel.  I just don't care who it is.  They used me up with the Dumpster dive.  The only thing leaving me intrigued for next season is what happens with Carol and Morgan now.  And what Carl will do.  I sort of laughed when Negan called him a future serial killer.  Future??  lol  No, Negan, Carl isn't going to even cry a little bit. 

As for the cliffhanger, though, I don't care.

• Love 12
(edited)

They did a good job building tension with Negan (because they're all Negan) popping on on every road.  The way they just stood there, taunting and firing a couple of shots was creepy--enough to ignore how they knew CDB would be going to Hilltop that day.   Unfortunately they blew that 30 minute build up in the last, dragging hour.  

How are we supposed to take the Saviors seriously?  Almost the entire human race has been wiped out and threats still lurk around every corner, yet Negan seems to have recruited every leather n jeans wearing asshole in the greater NoVa area.  Did the virus leave the local biker bars untouched?  And that's after CDB has taken out...what?  50 of them now.  How do you manage a group that large, especially when it's apparently populated with the dregs of (former) society who not only are willing to threaten, maim and kill but do so gleefully.  Yes, I'm sure Negan is supposed  to be a BAMF, but with people like that in a group that large someone's always trying to take out the big dog.  And the monologing.....yeesh, was Negan some political speech writer that went bad after the fall like office assistant Alicia?  And since Negan is supposed to be OMG TEH EVUL, I find it hard to believe he'd just kill one person, since as we've heard (many, many times) that their SOP is to do that even on an uneventful meeting.  If the Saviors are terrorizing so many groups yet keeping them alive to 'work' for him, someone should have fought back in a less direct manner by now.   Did no one with military experience or familiarity with history survive?  There are plenty of ways to attack without it being traced to your group or with some planning to hit them hard before they realize what's going on and can react.  

I hate the cliffhanger ending.   It's so cheesy and night time soap opera.  Negan talking to the camera was like something out of a POV porno (which is fitting I suppose, since Kirkman is apparently into torture porn) and the blood splattering on the camera lens (for the second week in a row) looks tacky and is basically breaking the fourth wall.  I have a feeling the first episode won't reveal who was killed immediately.  Instead we'll see people from the group one or two at a time (starting with Rick and Carl, since it was clear it wasn't them), in a cell or back at Alexandria, talking about how they can't believe how evil Negan and how he could just kill 'someone' like that.  It'll be thick with cagey, unrevealing dialogue until we get to the end and see everyone but the victim.  If you're going to borrow from Dynasty's Moldavian Massacre finale, you might as well borrow from the season premiere too.

I was expecting the Savior to 'make it count' for Carol by raping her, causing her to have flashbacks to Ed and being forced to kill him.  As ugly as it is, I would have found that more believable than 90% of what we've seen with the Saviors.   So did Morgan finally kill because he wants to fix Carol or is this the first time someone's been within seconds of being killed (as opposed to just maybe being killed by the deranged animals running loose in Alexandria)?

I'm so ashamed that I find Negan 100% doable.

Me too...if you muzzle him.   Who wants to listen that prattle while getting freaky.  He's totally That Girl At A Party You Wish You Hadn't Started A Conversation With.  

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 17
(edited)

It's a moment that should be iconic, and complete...instead, it's a let down.

I think this nails the problem with the episode.

But I suspect that when the reveal happens that we'll realize that the decision of who got killed would still have not made an iconic episode if it was complete.

They were pushing really hard on everyone being Rick's family to the point that it seemed like anyone who got killed (barring Michonne and Carl) would have the same impact on Rick which makes me think that it won't be anyone that alters the fabric of the show in a fundamental way.  We'll just get a glimpse of another variation of crazy pants Rick.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Damn, Carol sure is having a rough day.  I knew before that guy could fire a kill shot at her that Morgan would finally make an appearance to stop him with the GUN Rick gave him. But don't waste so many bullets Morgan.

• Love 2

If it's Glenn I'd be kind of pissed if I were SY. First, out several episodes hiding under a dumpster and then killed in an episode his character was barely in.

Yeah if I spent half the season hiding under a garbage bin and that's the thanks I get.  I pity SY if it is Glenn...

• Love 2

Me too...if you muzzle him.   Who wants to listen that prattle while getting freaky.  He's totally That Girl At A Party You Wish You Hadn't Started A Conversation With.

Hey now, he might be pretty good at all the sexy talk....for 5 minutes...then put a ball gag in his mouth...

• Love 3

Damn, Carol sure is having a rough day.  I knew before that guy could fire a kill shot at her that Morgan would finally make an appearance to stop him with the GUN Rick gave him. But don't waste so many bullets Morgan.

That was a nice little moment underlying Carol's point that if you care for someone you'll kill for someone.  It was kind of ruined by the guys masquerading as the King Arthur's Knights of the Zombie Apocalypse.  I somehow missed that when I got distracted and looked up Keanu the kitten trailers.

• Love 1