Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And that’s a good thing, because depending on the length of the strike, whatever they do to honor Bobbie and Jackie could be a long way off.

It's also good because she got to see it.  A tribute that the honoree gets to see is better than one after the fact.

• Like 12
  • Love 2

There’s been a lot of online tributes from her cast mates and the wider soap world. There has also been a lot of attention from various non-soap media as well, which is surprising but nice

• Like 10
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Felicia with Bj's heart too....

That story and helping Liz through her rape were the two that really stick out for me.

We all know it will be a Carly showcase once this gets written into the story, but I’m tentatively looking forward to that.  Laura Wright does sad Carly really well.  I think she’s done a good job of toeing the line between sad/hopeful in some of the Willow scenes (the wedding planning ones with Willow and Joss stick out). Hopefully it will be a change from snarly, smug Carly so I’ll welcome it.  

• Like 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, Blackie said:

At least they can replay lots of good Bobbie episodes during the strike.

That's really what they *should* do, but sad they probably won't...

Temp recast for Molly, as her portrayer Haley Pullos recovers from a car accident

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/temporary-recast-for-ghs-molly/

It will be odd seeing a recast Kristina together with a temp Molly.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Like 4

I'm absolutely shocked about Jackie. Really glad the Nurses Ball honored her. I wonder if they knew she was sick and it influenced the choice? I hope the show remembers Bobbie has a son too when it comes time for another tribute.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I came here to join my voice to the others mourning Jackie Zeman's death. She was a very important part of General Hospital for a very long time. She was also a very important part of my childhood. Rest in peace, Barbara Jean.

Edited by yowsah1
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

This one hits hard. 70? My mom was also 70 and she died two weeks ago.

Fuck cancer, indeed.

RIP, Jackie, and if you meet my mom she'll have plenty to say about how she always rooted for Bobbie to get with Scotty over Laura.

I'm so very sorry. 💔

• Hugs 1

This has broken my heart. This will be sappy but these shows were such part of my formative years. My mom, dad, Aunts, etc all watched and would talk about them. My earliest memory is the blaring siren of Autumn Breeze and me wondering where that siren was until I learned it was the very show I would see family gathered around the TV watching and I of course took my place right there and fell in love with the show too. Bobbie, the Qs, Mac and Felicia, Stone and Robin, Sean and Tiffany, Holly, Tony, Lucy and Doc, Scotty, Luke and Laura et al became some of the most familiar faces in my life. I don’t watch GH with regularity anymore but I do revisit past years in GH thanks to YouTube so because of my viewing habit these people are kind of stuck in a moment in time for me and with Jackie’s passing it kind of jars you back to reality and you realize just how much time has passed how quickly it passed. My dad passed in November and one of things we talked about was how much he loved “that soap opera” as he called it. God’s speed Ms Zeman.  Barbara Jean Spencer RN gave me some wonderful memories and was the topic of many conversations for my family and I thank you for that. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 10
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

I was surprised at how hard this hit me today, considering I have no relationship with JZ and Bobbie is a fictional character.  But I realized that Bobbie came from an era of soap opera that was designed to help us explore the who, why and how of humans, some of whom were just like us, and some of whom were very different.  Soaps gave us both a mirror and a window, and these characters, through the actors that inhabited them, granted us a deep exploration of their lives, their feelings, their motivations, and their regrets, which helped us examine our own.  The characters became the mutual friends that connected us to the actors, and today we've lost a mutual friend.  

2 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Fuck cancer, indeed.

RIP, Jackie, and if you meet my mom she'll have plenty to say about how she always rooted for Bobbie to get with Scotty over Laura.

I'm so sorry.  Lost my mom in her early 70s, also to cancer, twenty years ago.  There are still some days I want to call her to share something she would have enjoyed.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/11/2023 at 6:07 PM, Melgaypet said:

Fuck cancer, indeed.

I am so sorry for your loss, and the loss of your GH viewing companion.

Sorry about your father @WhitneyWhit.  It's hard to lose someone.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Sad 1

Bobbi and Roy Delucca was the best romance out of that whole mob situation.   I remember her from One Live to Live, watching as a little kid with my mom.   Although I stopped watching soaps and General Hospital years ago,  I am sorry or her family and fans.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Desperado said:

Her tribute at the Nurse’s Ball seemed heartfelt, but a last minute addition. I wonder if the show knew.

Glad the actress got some in-person kudos though. Her character was foundational in the show in the 1980s-90s, and in spite of her storylines becoming more and more superficial and Carly propping, JZ always showed up to do the work.

RIP.

Most of the time, they pay tribute after you’re gone. It’s nice that JZ got to see the tribute. 

• Like 6

Melgaypet: I am very sorry for the loss of your mother and hope she did not suffer long.

I am assuming that Jackie didn't know for very long and of  course we didn't which makes it all the more shocking. Kirsten A!lie died quickly and had colon cancer. Let this be a reminder to have a colonoscopy if you are over 50 and runs in your family as t does in mine. I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and it was a huge relief to.get it done and cleared for cancer.

I have watched Jackie since the very beginning so it was no e to see how she evolved. Also nice that Carly reverted back to using Spencer and making peace with Bobbie.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm so sorry for your loss, @Melgaypet.

I think that while she was supporting and this storyline wasn't about her, that Bobbie was really good during the monkey virus story, and the scenes between Bobbie and Tony as he died, were really heartbreaking. And it pissed me off because they were both back in a good place, with Tony being redeemed.

I'm trying to remember when the show just ditched Jackie.

Now more than ever, especially after reading Anthony Geary's comments, I want Luke to at least make a cameo.

Just jumping in to commiserate on the loss of Jackie.  I started watching GH back in junior high just before she and Luke were introduced. I feel like I've lost a treasured Aunt. RIP Lady Z. You'll be missed. :-(

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
13 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Has Brad Maule (ex-Tony) made a statement?

Sorry, I don't recall. I know several of her castmates and ex-castmates have

I'm shocked and so sorry to hear about the passing of Jackie Zeman. I'm sorry about your losses as well @Melgaypet and @WhitneyWhit. My dad passed away over 10 years ago and I still miss him. Also, I think he secretly liked watching GH with us kids.

My favorite story with Bobbie wasn't as serious as BJ's heart or Liz's rape, but it's one I loved. I can't remember if it was before or after the original Ice Princess story, but Steve Hardy was the Chief of Staff. Bobbie and the other nurses organized and fought to be able to wear jumpsuit uniforms instead of the traditional, ugly dress. Does anyone else remember that? I just loved it as a source of empowerment through fashion and a victory for worker autonomy, even at a very young age. I whooped with joy when Dr. Steve gave in.

Damn. RIP Jackie Z.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

TVLine has confirmed that Jackie Zeman’s last scene has already been aired which was on April 27

https://tvline.com/2023/05/12/jackie-zeman-last-episode-general-hospital-bobbie-air-date/

At least they were family scenes/happy occasion even if I didn't really care about the wedding. 

Although it seems odd that Bobbie wouldn't be around for Carly's arrest etc(maybe she wasn't feeling well at that point).

1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Looking at this, I seem to remember some questions or comments about why Bobbie's hair wasn't done better or "fancier ". (That isn't the right word but I can't think of exactly what was said). I think we now know with the gift of 20/20 hindsight that she was ill and possibly, though not for certain, undergoing chemotherapy. It was poignant watching her discuss her time on GH.

• Like 4

New avatar in honor of Jackie!

I was very into Bobbie/Stefan. They were hot and I was a sucker for their marriage-of-convenience-turning-real-much-to-their-surprise story. When it got derailed for Katherine Bell and a Bullet of Love, I was UPSET. That also left me with a lifelong distrust of the practice of pairing actors together just because they were paired on a different show.

Thanks to all of you for the sympathies for my mom. I don't want to derail things (or talk about it much, honestly) but it genuinely touched me. A big part of the reason I'm still keeping up with this show is because of our little community here. Counting TWoP, I think I've been interacting with some of you for about 20 years now!

• Like 9
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Bobbie/Stefan needed and should have played out for a few more years. I also always liked Bobbie's interaction with Nikolas and wish that friendship had been able to develop into a deeper level - she could have helped fill that mother shaped hole in his life and Laura and Luke could have been respectively envious and enraged by it. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/11/2023 at 9:08 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I am utterly shocked by this news. 

FUCK CANCER.

This was my reaction as well.  I read the headline about her death and I think I actually gasped out loud I was so stunned. My first thought was sudden death in an accident.  But a short battle with cancer? How horrible. I watched the NB tribute to Nurse Bobbie Spencer online, and noted that both JZ and LW got teary. I assume she must have known at that time and told the show and possibly some colleagues including LW, then got that on-stage surprise.

The flashbacks were great.  It was disappointing though that as usual Carly gets to have the spotlight while saying "I don't work at GH" while the son Bobbie raised who has been a doctor at GH and worked with her did not get to have this moment. Also the moment felt a little hollow in that none of the vets like, Kristina or Becky who shared major storylines with her, were there in the audience to clap and cheer. I think most of the cast members in that audience have been there less than 20 years and have rarely or never been a scene partner for JZ. Why was Monica missing?!

BTW, can anyone tell me the timing of that flashback to Bobbie defending Lucas to Tracy and threatening to bitchslap Tracy for trash talking him? I don't remember it. 

I really hope there will be a tribute episode/memorial-funeral where Luke,  Ryan Carnes-Lucas, JJ-Lucky, and Robin return to mourn with Laura, Elizabeth. Scott, Felicia, Mac, Maxie, and the rest. I dread that most of the attention will be on Carly, Michael, and Joss being "devastated by this loss" yet the audience knows that TG, GF, JJ, BH, KW, KMcC, JY, KS, and LH have worked with her and been close to her for decades.

In fact, Bobbie and Josslyn have rarely had scenes together in the years since Eden was cast as SORASed Josslyn.  Bobbie and Michael have had more scenes together, but not A LOT that I can recall ... mostly during the "baby Wiley is secretly Michael's son, not Lucas's" storyline.  Did RC-Lucas ever even get to have another scene with JZ/Bobbie after he handed Wiley off to Michael?? 

*Sigh* I feel so sads for Jackie Zeman's daughters, losing her just a few days before Mother's Day. This must be a really painful day for them!  RIP, Jackie Z.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I really hope there will be a tribute episode/memorial-funeral where Luke,  Ryan Carnes-Lucas, JJ-Lucky, and Robin return to mourn with Laura, Elizabeth. Scott, Felicia, Mac, Maxie, and the rest. I dread that most of the attention will be on Carly, Michael, and Joss being "devastated by this loss" yet the audience knows that TG, GF, JJ, BH, KW, KMcC, JY, KS, and LH have worked with her and been close to her for decades.

I would love to see them as well-as they have more history with Jackie/Bobbie, than the SheBeast. And in recent years, under Frank, turned Bobbie into the SHEBEAST proper, never calling her out on her shit. And acted like this spawn of hers was the only child she had.

Lucas, who?

So I will be surprised and shocked if Frank ponies up the 💴 to get JJ, Anthony Geary, Rick Springfield,  Sarah Brown, and the others who have more history with Bobbie.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5

I don't know if it's realistic, but if I were one of those actors that worked with her for years and all; I'd be willing to do a tribute episode to her for free. But that's just me, and I'm not an actor. I don't know how all that works. 

• Like 7
On 5/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

My favorite story with Bobbie wasn't as serious as BJ's heart or Liz's rape, but it's one I loved. I can't remember if it was before or after the original Ice Princess story, but Steve Hardy was the Chief of Staff. Bobbie and the other nurses organized and fought to be able to wear jumpsuit uniforms instead of the traditional, ugly dress. Does anyone else remember that? I just loved it as a source of empowerment through fashion and a victory for worker autonomy, even at a very young age. I whooped with joy when Dr. Steve gave in.

I remember that storyline. It occurred during the Ice Princess era and it showed an interesting generational conflict between the nurses. The older nurses (like Jessie) wanted to stick with the traditional uniforms and the younger ones (like Bobbie and Anne) wanted to switch to the more modern uniforms. As I recall, they ended up splitting the difference - each nurse could choose her preferred uniform.

Contrary to received opinion, there was a lot happening on General Hospital during the Ice Princess era other than Luke and Laura.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Back to the Kristina recast just briefly: I'm confused about this endometriosis storyline, if that IS in fact the one that Lexi had floated. Hasn't that been given to Molly anyway?

I'm assuming the idea is that Kristina agrees to become a surrogate to Molly.

• Like 2

Oh lord,I hate it when "baby rabies" comes on a show.  Endometriosis doesn't always mean one is infertile.  I'd rather see Molly adopt a baby before asking her sister to carry one (or let her sister offer and accept).

Also, it seems to run in families, so there would be a good chance Kristina could have endometriosis  too.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I don't know if it's realistic, but if I were one of those actors that worked with her for years and all; I'd be willing to do a tribute episode to her for free. But that's just me, and I'm not an actor. I don't know how all that works. 

I think I would feel the same way.  I don’t know if that’s actually possible with unions, contracts, etc., but it’s not like it would be a heavy lift and it would give them a little air time which never hurts when you’re an actor.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

They could offer to do it for scale. I'm sure the show could afford that especially with the ratings bump it would provide.

Yes. I mean, they managed to get JJ back for Anthony's last episode, didn't they? Or am I hallucinating that?

• Useful 1

JJ returned for several days during TG's exit story.

I will be shocked if Tony does not appear for the memorial, but I think they've been planning to have him appear in secret for awhile now.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1