Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Pristine said:

It's there're not there's, head writer...  🙄

Actually, it’s “there ARE”. There’re is not an actual word.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I find the claims that GH is more women led to be fan service at best. The storylines and POV are just as male driven and centered as they always were with very few exceptions. 

• Like 7
(edited)

37 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I find the claims that GH is more women led to be fan service at best. The storylines and POV are just as male driven and centered as they always were with very few exceptions. 

Eh, it's far from where I want it but it's certainly better than the mansoap nonsense of Guza and JFP. Laura has agency now and sits in the right place on the canvas. And most of the power positions in show (police commissioner, mayor, chief of staff) are filled by women. No longer servicing Burton's ego has helped in this regard too. Again, far from great for feminism - it's no Greys Anatomy - but so much better than the show I rage quit years ago.

Edited by Grinaldi
  • Like 7

I'm neutral on Carlivati. I liked a lot of what he did early in his tenure, but I tuned out for a while when it turned into OLTL plus the vampires of long-cancelled Port Charles, with a side order of pickle relish. I think when I returned, the female duo was in charge of the writing. 

However, didn't he slam Sean Kanan on social media for being thin-skinned and petty when Kanan complained (justifiably, I thought) about AJ being reduced to having panic attacks and being the butt of fat jokes? So being thin-skinned himself is an especially bad look. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Pristine said:

It is colloquial, but is grammatically acceptable.

I’ve never heard this “word” spoken or seen it written.  Where is it grammatically accepted?

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I'm neutral on Carlivati. I liked a lot of what he did early in his tenure, but I tuned out for a while when it turned into OLTL plus the vampires of long-cancelled Port Charles, with a side order of pickle relish. I think when I returned, the female duo was in charge of the writing. 

However, didn't he slam Sean Kanan on social media for being thin-skinned and petty when Kanan complained (justifiably, I thought) about AJ being reduced to having panic attacks and being the butt of fat jokes? So being thin-skinned himself is an especially bad look. 

Wow, the daytime soap world is sometimes deliciously petty. Definitely on Sean’s side in this, the writing for AJ was demeaning.  

• Like 3

I liked RC when he first started because he actually used the show's vets, knew some of the show's history, and took Saint Jasus and the mob off the front burner, but he never knew when to end a joke before it was completely and utterly run into the ground with horses dragging it's corpse. The Faison/Duke mask reveal was great and soapy and then suddenly everyone had a mask! Then it seemed like half the canvas had DID (which he had already run into the ground on OLTL). Spencer calling the other kids "townies" which was old after the first time but continued for a good long while. Also there was the retelling of stories that had been good in their original form but were needlessly campy the second go round like "Pickle Lila".

I'm guessing Ron probably feels like he's owed some apologies but it's probably the other way around, most especially for the viewers who had to watch the nauseating pairing of Luke and Anna. I'm pretty sure he's unbelievably thin-skinned as well because if memory serves he was trolling the OLTL boards on TWOP back in the day.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

I'm pretty sure he's unbelievably thin-skinned as well because if memory serves he was trolling the OLTL boards on TWOP back in the day.  

That's news to me, and I was a lifer there. I was told he lurked places, but that is all I know.

• Like 1

Yes, lurk is the word I should have used, not trolled. I just remember there was a line on one of the last episodes of OLTL about posters on the “Movies without Remorse” boards or something to that effect. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, sashabear21 said:

Yes, lurk is the word I should have used, not trolled. I just remember there was a line on one of the last episodes of OLTL about posters on the “Movies without Remorse” boards or something to that effect. 

I remember that! Yeah, I was told they monitored those boards (and was told they kept an eye on an unrelated column I was writing in those days, which likely made them both hate me not that I am anybody special).

While we're waxing nostalgic or anti-nostalgic for Ron, the amusing side of his pettiness was that interview Lulu and Dante had with "Stephanie," a potential surrogate. She was written as full of herself, condescending, and avaricious, saying things like "Don't wait too long. People like me don't come along every day," and talking about potentially moving her family to another state.

Burton's final air date had been a few weeks earlier. The scene played like a thinly veiled version of his contract talks, but with a gender switch.

I laughed, and I still do, thinking back on it. But I'll admit, it's largely because it's Burton. I don't dislike him as much as some do, but I was not considering him or Jason a great loss in 2012.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

While we're waxing nostalgic or anti-nostalgic for Ron, the amusing side of his pettiness was that interview Lulu and Dante had with "Stephanie," a potential surrogate. She was written as full of herself, condescending, and avaricious, saying things like "Don't wait too long. People like me don't come along every day," and talking about potentially moving her family to another state.

Burton's final air date had been a few weeks earlier. The scene played like a thinly veiled version of his contract talks, but with a gender switch.

I don't even remember that. It wouldn't shock me if that's exactly what it sounds like.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

In all fairness, the TWOP boards had become so notorious for having crazy pants posters even THE WEST WING took a shot at them.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
2 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

In all fairness, the TWOP boards had become so notorious for having crazy pants posters even THE WEST WING took a shot at them.

I can assure you all those forums were not created equally crazy.

• Like 4

I wonder, does Helena return in person or as just a voice, like last time? And if in person, will it be a "flashback" or current-day appearance? Obviously I'm hoping for a current-day return, as I never believed Helena died from a cup of poisoned tea and sighed off her mortal coil.

And LOL that they haul out Helena for this. Of course she has a role to play. She's Helena! I'm laughing that this is one of the laziest things the writers could do (see our old running joke of "...because Helena") and appreciating that for the 60th anniversary they are dusting off some older characters.

• Like 2

I'm just relieved that old foe they have been teasing is Helena and not Faison. That weirdo needs to stay a brain in a jar.

I have to think Geary is making an appearance and they are holding the news for maximum impact. Helena is also Laura's nemesis, but too many Luke related folks are coming back.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

I have to think Geary is making an appearance and they are holding the news for maximum impact. Helena is also Laura's nemesis, but too many Luke related folks are coming back.

Well none of his kids.

• Sad 1

It's possible they might not tell us about Jonathan (or even some kind of Lulu return) the same as I assume they are hiding Tony Geary. I don't expect Lulu any time soon, but I would not be shocked if JJ appeared if Tony does.

Or, knowing Tony we'd get another return of Dirty Dodge (Ethan).

Edited by jsbt
17 hours ago, jsbt said:

It's possible they might not tell us about Jonathan (or even some kind of Lulu return) the same as I assume they are hiding Tony Geary. I don't expect Lulu any time soon, but I would not be shocked if JJ appeared if Tony does.

Or, knowing Tony we'd get another return of Dirty Dodge (Ethan).

They seem dead set on not recasting Lucky but unless JJ comes back for an extended run, I don’t see how they have Lucky pop in without addresses his dead beat dad status. Especially since they JUST had Liz deal with this same situation with her own parents. Yet it’s GH so somehow they just…won’t. 

• Like 2
On 4/2/2023 at 2:41 PM, jsbt said:

Now Ron is locked out of the shows he loved most, but keeps referencing however he can on DAYS.

A lot of the older DAYS fans (those who can remember 1970's and 1980's DAYS) seem to absolutely hate him, but I don't know, I feel like Ron's campy style is a better fit for Days which has never really hit the heights of say 1996 General Hospital or 1993 One Life to Live. 

He does seem like he's kinda/maybe trying to make the Dimera family act more like the Quartermaines with some added corporate stuff but it's not really working.

1 hour ago, racked said:

They seem dead set on not recasting Lucky but unless JJ comes back for an extended run, I don’t see how they have Lucky pop in without addresses his dead beat dad status. Especially since they JUST had Liz deal with this same situation with her own parents. Yet it’s GH so somehow they just…won’t. 

They did address it the last time he appeared a bit, in the form of Ron Carlivati yet again teasing a dangling plotline he did not properly finish - the idea of Lucky having a 'darkness' within him (Helena's brainwashing, clearly) that made him fearful for his family and needing to stay away. It was a goofy idea but the heavy rewrites Jonathan and TG did on their scenes together about it made them probably the best the show has aired in the last decade, and I am sadly not exaggerating. It was very out of place in what the show was putting out in 2015, and frankly often even now.

I'm still mad about Georgie and Emily. I know none of us liked Cam telling Joss he forgave her - I wish he had been allowed to hate her for another year - but at least he didn't end up dead. I have a feeling if Cameron Weber had been female instead of male, girl Cameron would have been a victim of the Hooker instead of being allowed to go to a top college on the other side of the country. It seems like only the women end up dead. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I haven't been watching as long as most of those go back, but the Billy Miller thing.  What a perfect opportunity to have Sam be in love with both brothers, and very believably so.  I couldn't believe they didn't do it and instead brought in that Kim Nero and Oscar BS.  What a waste of Miller.  I still hold it against the other one.  

• Like 7
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, CeChase said:

I haven't been watching as long as most of those go back, but the Billy Miller thing.  What a perfect opportunity to have Sam be in love with both brothers, and very believably so.  I couldn't believe they didn't do it and instead brought in that Kim Nero and Oscar BS.  What a waste of Miller.  I still hold it against the other one.  

I think the story was muted because the plan was Sam being legitimately torn between the 2 but ultimately being drawn more to Jason but it wasn’t believable KM was checked out in her scenes with SBu while playing up every scene with BM. I was rewatching some old scenes and her performances between 2018-2020 were painful 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
41 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I think the story was muted because the plan was Sam being legitimately torn between the 2 but ultimately being drawn more to Jason but it wasn’t believable KM was checked out in her scenes with SBu while playing up every scene with BM. I was rewatching some old scenes and her performances between 2018-2020 were painful 

But didn’t they then put her with SBu’s Jason? Or am I remembering wrong. 

On 4/23/2023 at 3:56 PM, racked said:

But didn’t they then put her with SBu’s Jason? Or am I remembering wrong. 

They did. However, they weren’t exactly playing happy couple for most of that time. They faked a breakup for months so Sam could go undercover with DOD, then she was in jail, then they did that parole restriction where she couldn’t be around Jason. Once all of that was finally lifted, they had Jason mia a lot and leaving her out of things because they were gearing for their breakup. Complete with lines from Alexis about how her reunion with Jason wasn’t what she thought it was going to be and Kristina telling Sam that Jason will always put Carly and Sonny ahead of her. 

During that 2 year span, they had maybe a couple months of being a normal couple.  

14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Evan Hofer is promoting Jex HARD on his Twitter. It's funny, because Eden McCoy isn't posting anything on her Instagram about it because she knows her job is secure as long as GH keeps getting renewed.

I think she does fair amount of promotion for them on Twitter. I don’t think she posts about the show all that much on her IG page in general. I’m just assuming that the pairing isn’t organically building the online fanbase that they hoped and/or tickets sales for their PAs are not great 

• Useful 1