Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E01: Week 1: Premiere

• Start Topic

I haven't watched this show in a few seasons, so I have to ask: when did the set become so manic?  The stage seemed so BUSY...with an abundance of lights, contrived stage designs for some of the dancers, the audience at times seeming to be right on top of the dance floor, random/wacky camera shots, the occasional chaos of moving the dancing couples to the proper places to get their scores...to me it seemed like the dancing couples were performing in the middle of a parade and getting a little bit lost in the shuffle.

That said, I think Paige is adorable and Nyle had amazing moves.  I also hope Mischa finds a way to get more comfortable - she seemed overwhelmed.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 2

Why does the show always feel a need to cast a fodder like Geraldo Rivera, who has no chance of winning.

I prefer Julianne Hough to Len Goodman, who is so out of touch.

For me, the athletes are always the most fun watching.

• Love 2

I wanted to smack Carrie Ann for comparing Ginger to Bindi.  I saw no reason for that other than a random compliment.  I was shocked Ginger said she might get Val wet with leaking breast milk.  Eww. 

So glad to have Len back!!  

Nyle and Wanya, love them!  

• Love 2

I voted for the first time ever and all 12 of mine went to Nyle.   I don't think Misha can outlast Geraldo.  I had to google her and there is not much there for a fan base.  Geraldo probably has enough to get him through one week.  He, Doug and Misha will all go soon, it isn't a big deal.  They cannot dance and none of them are so popular that they will squeak out a better dancer.  

• Love 1

Last night was an amazing premiere! I really thought everyone did a great job for the most part especially with it being week 1  Nyle Wayna and Jodie had to be my top 3 favorites of the night for sure.  

• Love 1
Why does the show always feel a need to cast a fodder like Geraldo Rivera, who has no chance of winning.

It provides time for the better dancers to get their feet under them and for production to work out the kinks and work on the backstories they need to get the votes where they want them.

I wanted to smack Carrie Ann for comparing Ginger to Bindi

Smack away! ;)  Bindi was pimped to high heaven last season on GMA and now they've got Ginger to pimp.  I used to enjoy GMA with my coffee in the morning but it's gotten way too DWTS heavy.

Did not miss Allison at all...really hope she doesn't get a spot back over Emma. I can take or leave Edyta but I do like this trend of bringing back older pros if only for nostalgia's sake.

Alison??? Haha. I forgot all about her already.  ;)   With all the talk about Nyle I went back and revisited Season 6 with Marlee Maitlin.  They had a great group of stars that season and the whole cast seemed to gel.  But it also reminded me that we never saw Marlee's partner Fabian again on the show.  I liked their partnership. 

I haven't watched this show in a few seasons, so I have to ask: when did the set become so manic?

A few seasons ago.  It's almost unwatchable for me now.  It's so hard to focus on the dancing. 

So glad to have Len back!!

I like Len and I much prefer him over Julianne, but he did not seem happy to be there last night. 

I will say this about Kim - of all the housewives who have been on this show she has the most potential, more rhythm and the best attitude of all of them combined.

I can get behind Kim if she can cut back on the screeching. ;)

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 1

Again with the package edit being taken out on the celebrity... I doubt Ginger is talking all rehearsal about breastfeeding/pumping etc but that is what the producers choose to show. She's not my top favorite but I certainly don't want to dislike her by what TPTB choose to show us.

That being said, my favorites right now are Nyle,

Wayna ( half because of Whitney) and Paige.

I love football but I can already tell that for me the footballers are going to wear out their welcome fast. Especially if we hear about Steeler nation, etc every two seconds.

I forgot to add Marla to my top list, right now that is. I liked her alot more than I expected. The only problem is when I look at her I can't help wondering how she could ever bring herself to sleep with trump, lol.

• Love 1

I forgot to add Marla to my top list, right now that is. I liked her alot more than I expected. The only problem is when I look at her I can't help wondering how she could ever bring herself to sleep with trump, lol.

$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$  ;-)

• Love 6

To fill its "previously seen on Celebrity Apprentice!" slot?

I was shocked Ginger said she might get Val wet with leaking breast milk.

I was concerned she was going to start leaking during her routine.

I meant to say I like Wayna partly because of Lindsey. It's nice to see her be able to dance with a partner a little more skilled than Alek..... even though I adored him last season.

Was it just me or did Marks outfit match Lindsay's...because neither pro matched their celeb...AT ALL.  Wardrobe fail.

Wanya will go over very well with the DWTS audience. His personality reminds me of Alfonso but less annoying. I hope Lindsay doesn't rely too much on infusing hip hop moves into the dance.  Len will not be having it. She'll get a pass for week 1...especially given the song they were dancing to.

My fav of the night was Nyle. I just loved everything about him, Peta, the package, the dance. They will be fun to watch all season.

Von vs. Antonio is sooo expected from TPTB.  I enjoy Von more though. I like his quirky personality. Antonio seems to be all flash and I didn't find myself caring one way or the other if he makes it far or not. Just being a football player will not get you into the final. Factoring in personality (Emmett Smith/Hines Ward/Donald Driver) and their adorable relationship with their partners....I think that is what got them their wins.  I don't really see Antonio/Sharna or Von/Witney developing that type of relationship. If that does happen then I think they have a shot at winning.  Right now I don't see it.

I don't know about Jodie.  I was never a huge fan of Keo's choreography. But then again I never really saw what he could do. She was good...but not great. She must be feeling the pre-season hype to do very well.  I'm worried because I'm sure Keo feels a lot of pressure to not blow this (his spot as a pro might be on the line). That makes for super tense packages and not a lot of "fun." How is Keo going to help her relax when he'll probably be freaking out right along side her?

Ginger was good also but I was expecting more. The theme of the performance and the song...has been done before so it was nothing new to me.  It was clean dance...she had fun and it was straight up jive so I was happy about that. As for best performances of the night I understand why Ginger, Wanya and Nyle were in a 3 way tie for the lead...but I would have put Paige there also. BTW if Ginger is getting pimped...it has nothing to do with Val because he was most certainly NOT pimped with Tamar last season.  I pray the TPTB let things play out with everyone. They seem to have a fun partnership...I enjoy it.

Paige was great as well.  She really nailed the technique of the dance.  I was expecting her to be really good though...so that might be why Marla stood out more to me...because her elegance and grace and dance ability was unexpected. 

Those performances stood out to me.  The REAL test will be next week when they have 1 week to learn a dance.  Next week is Latin night....I always fear for the men. And the women have a lot of pressure to get technique and really sell the performance. It will be really hard for anyone to win the whole show if they don't have a basic ability in latin & ballroom dances.

• Love 2
Was it just me or did Marks outfit match Lindsay's...because neither pro matched their celeb...AT ALL.  Wardrobe fail.

Haha. NOT just you!  DH and I talked about that very thing, but thought it was more jarring with Mark and Paige.  Is this a new fashion trend? 

• Love 1

I voted for the first time ever and all 12 of mine went to Nyle.   I don't think Misha can outlast Geraldo.  I had to google her and there is not much there for a fan base.  Geraldo probably has enough to get him through one week.  He, Doug and Misha will all go soon, it isn't a big deal.  They cannot dance and none of them are so popular that they will squeak out a better dancer.  

It's not Mischa's fanbase that will save her IF she survives, it's the sympathy votes she'll have got from being stamped all over by Len and being on the verge on tears. Like I said above, her line was busy for a long time after the show last night. People actually have a reason to throw her some votes. I just don't understand why anyone would have a reason to vote for Geraldo? It was painful to watch and borderline creepy.

I forgot to say, I also enjoyed Marla last night. She stood out in a positive way. I hope she sticks around a while.

• Love 2

I have to give it another week to form any favorites. I didn't even know who most of these people were.

Nyle is a great dancer and very easy on the eyes!

Wanya was fun.

I am in the minority thinking Antonio will do well.

• Love 1

I have to give it another week to form any favorites. I didn't even know who most of these people were.

Nyle is a great dancer and very easy on the eyes!

Wanya was fun.

I am in the minority thinking Antonio will do well.

No, you are not alone.  I think Antonio will do very well.  He could win.  People are probably not talking about him much because Nyle and Wanya stole the show in different ways.  Jimmy Kimmel chose him as the winner.  

• Love 2

No, you are not alone.  I think Antonio will do very well.  He could win.  People are probably not talking about him much because Nyle and Wanya stole the show in different ways.  Jimmy Kimmel chose him as the winner.  

I agree with both of you. Footballers always start slowly on this show and pick up. With Steeler Nation behind him as well Antonio will be in for a long time. This season could actually have all male finalists. How strange would that be. Amazing what happens with no Derek! ;)

• Love 4

I agree with both of you. Footballers always start slowly on this show and pick up. With Steeler Nation behind him as well Antonio will be in for a long time. This season could actually have all male finalists. How strange would that be. Amazing what happens with no Derek! ;)

I for one am liking the Hough-less show!

• Love 13

I wanted to smack Carrie Ann for comparing Ginger to Bindi.  I saw no reason for that other than a random compliment.  I was shocked Ginger said she get Val wet with leaking breast milk.  Eww.

Well, I think Carrie Ann  needs to shut up and not bring up former winners. Why not just say she wants Ginger to win??

I'm over Ginger and why does she needs to  say she is pumping breast milk in the corner of the room?

when did the set become so manic?  The stage seemed so BUSY...with an abundance of lights, contrived stage designs for some of the dancers, the audience at times seeming to be right on top of the dance floor, random/wacky camera shots, the occasional chaos of moving the dancing couples to the proper places to get their scores...to me it seemed like the dancing couples were performing in the middle of a parade and getting a little bit lost in the shuffle.

That all gave me a giant head ache!

• Love 2

I love the larger production this has become.  They did not plan on showing us the footage of the warm up guy working the audience up into a lather but I am happy they did!  I like seeing behind the scenes, I would like to see more of that.    

• Love 1

I haven't watched this show in a few seasons, so I have to ask: when did the set become so manic?  The stage seemed so BUSY...with an abundance of lights, contrived stage designs for some of the dancers, the audience at times seeming to be right on top of the dance floor, random/wacky camera shots, the occasional chaos of moving the dancing couples to the proper places to get their scores...to me it seemed like the dancing couples were performing in the middle of a parade and getting a little bit lost in the shuffle.

About 3-4 years ago when Derek Hough was given carte blanche to use DWTS for the sole purpose of creating weekly Emmy submissions.

I don't like this new thing of sending a camera running around behind the scenes for filler. It was too much over stimulation; I felt like I was on a roller coaster.

• Love 1

Geraldo was embarrassing. He should be the first to go even though he asked the voters to vote for the "old man." LOL

I thought Marla was the best last night.

• Love 2

The deaf man impressed me so much. That was awesome. I don't usually like Peta , but she was good here. 

YAY! Edyta and Karina! 

Welp, GD it I missed Derek [/ducks flying tomatoes at my head]

Glad to see Len back.

How do you pronounce the Boyz II Men dude's name? He was shockingly light on his feet.

And dammit I liked Marla DAMN

Mark's Brit accent is back BLARG

I know Tootie as Tootie Don't watch any housewives from anywhere

• Love 2

For some reason this show insists on pandering to right-wing celebs/personalities.  That's why Geraldo is there.  Bill O'Reilly must have been busy.

And I guess Marla Maples is there because Eva Braun in dead.

Otherwise, Karina's dress is the reason I tune in each week.  I'm actually surprised they go that outfit approved.

• Love 4

The deaf man impressed me so much. That was awesome. I don't usually like Peta , but she was good here. 

YAY! Edyta and Karina! 

Glad to see Len back.

How do you pronounce the Boyz II Men dude's name? He was shockingly light on his feet.

I know Tootie as Tootie Don't watch any housewives from anywhere

When does he chose to invoke the accent?  I never know when it is going to appear...and what causes it to show up....or not show up.

• Love 1

Marla seemed sweet but I thought she was 62 not 52. She looks good and I liked her dance but she looks waaaaaay older than 52

Imo she looks like an amazing 52 or a very good young 42. Not a huge fan,. but good for her.  I was a little surprised by her dancing  - that  it was kind of great for a first week 

If they keep mentioning tRump, I'm out on Marla.

Edyta's fans may keep Geraldo in for a bit. He had a decent attitude. He's 72, so I give him a little break for not being limber and loose.

Witney's body.

That is all

• Love 4

I will say this about Kim - of all the housewives who have been on this show she has the most potential, more rhythm and the best attitude of all of them combined.

I do think it's weird when Kim gets classified more based on Real Housewives than the fact that she starred on two hit shows and has been working in the industry since she was a small child.  But I digress.  

Overall this is a strong cast dancing wise.  Or a cast with a lot of potential.  I'm Team Wanya and Nyle, though I also like Kim, Jodie, Paige, Marla and potentially the football players, though jury is still out there?  Ginger is good and seems nice but I can't get excited over her and I thought the tongue bath for her was a bit much, or at least not really based on the dance that she did.  It's not like there was much jive going on in there, then again I realize Wanya's dance was light on cha cha.  Plus give me a break on the new mom stuff.  Yes, she just had a kid.  But Kim has small kids.  Jodie has fairly young kids.  Big deal.  Being a mom is tough work but it's not exactly this big unique story the show wants to make it out to be.  Plus I didn't get the Bindi comparison at all.

If I had to guess the finals--Wanya, Nyle, one of the football players, Jodie/Ginger.  Paige as an outside spoiler?

Also, I hate the entire troupe.  Or not hate, but I don't want any of them on my screens  That goes for Jenna, Alan, Hayley and the inexplicable three new guys.   Make it stop.  I don't care about any of them.  Especially Muggy McMuggerson (Jenna, though this also applies to Alan).  Also yes, keep bringing non ballroom trained people into the troupe on supposed ballroom dance show.  That's totally helpful.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6

I kind of felt about Paige how others feel about Ginger and the new mom/breastfeeding stuff. "I beat the crap out of people for a living, but I'm really very girly! And feminine! And princess-y. And I love tea parties and dressing up! Here's a picture of me with blood on my face, but don't be fooled! GIRLY!"

• Love 11

Smack away! ;)  Bindi was pimped to high heaven last season on GMA and now they've got Ginger to pimp.  I used to enjoy GMA with my coffee in the morning but it's gotten way too DWTS heavy.

GMA has become Entertainment Tonight in the morning. I can't watch it anymore.

Now it will "endless" Ginger coverage. And why did Robin Roberts have to be in the audience last night???

• Love 2

YAY! Edyta and Karina!

Glad to see Len back.

How do you pronounce the Boyz II Men dude's name? He was shockingly light on his feet.

I know Tootie as Tootie Don't watch any housewives from anywhere

I THINK Wanya (Boyz II Men) pronounces his name Wan-Yay. I could be wrong.

Out of the twelve "stars" I know exactly four of them, and of those four I could only pick two out of a lineup if you put a gun to my head. The rest of them, I have never heard of before in my life. It's probably the weakest cast they've ever had in terms of familiarity (as far as I'm concerned, anyway).

That said, my jaw was on the floor the whole time Nyle was dancing and my initial take-away after just one show is that he's going to win, barring any judging shenanigans if they happen to be eyeballing someone else for the trophy. I don't follow football at all so I could care less about the football players and I hope they cancel each other out in votes. I think the majority of women who watch this show and vote are more likely to throw their votes to Nyle than either of the footballers.

What on earth is going on with Mark's hair. I don't get it. But thank God Derek is gone this season.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

Ginger looked really strange to me.  She pumped the orange on the spray tan to 100%.  I didn't even recognize her in the opening number.  I'm going to hate her just on her packages alone.  The breastmilk comments and leakage comments and starting to pump in the corner were awful (and I say that as a woman who exclusively pumped).  I would have given her one pass at the mommy story during the Most Memorable Year week, but I can't watch her if Mommy Mommy Mommy is stuffed down our throats every week.  I can't believe ABC let that package through.

Wait! So DWTS is a Hough-free zone???? I didn't watch and had no intention of watching this season because I was just so sick of them and it sounds like I missed a good show. Rats. But if the two of them have moved on, I'll be sure to tune in next week.

Ginger is one of those women who seems to think she is the first woman on planet earth to have a baby. It gets old, even though I'm disposed to like her for her sprightliness and cheery personality. Can it with the baby/breastfeeding/pumping references please. You had a baby. We get it.

Hough-free! Now if they'd just get rid of that hyperactive clown Ballas!

Doug Flutie was surprisingly awful--usually the football players at least hold their own.

Nyle--holy moly. I loved him on ANTM for his maturity and his refusal to get sucked in to the stupid drama. And he was handsome as can be. But here? He is HAWT. I loved Peta's response to the challenge of teaching him and how positive and thoughtful she is. Awesome.

Did not like Mischa and I remember with glee the opening of Al Capone's vault. So long, Geraldo!! hahahahahahahahahahaha

• Love 2
There was a photo shoot on ANTM that he got really screwed on where they did the shoot standing on a small box in pitch black. The other contestants got some sort of audio cue before the camera flash went off so they could pose but for Nyle they just kept hitting the box or something. So the poor guy was in pitch black, couldn't hear a thing and someone would randomly just hit the little box he was standing on. It had to be so disconcerting and really wasn't fair to him but he never complained. Just did his best. I think he'll welcome any critiques.

Just when I thought ANTM was low, they sink lower.

Nyle will go far, he is a professional sexy person and is good at his job.

• Love 3

I was prepared not to like Nyle because I thought he'd be like Noah who struggled with what he had to overcome. But Nyle CAN DANCE!

Biggest difference between Nyle and Noah is that Nyle, as majority of Deaf people (especially multiple generation Deaf), doesn't consider himself disabled or that he had to overcome anything.

MAYBE if he had lost his hearing as an adult and didn't have support, he'd be seeing himself as somehow disabled. On ANTM he never made any excuses, was always extremely professional and mature.

He was very proud and vocal about how Deafness is not a disability, that Deaf people can do anything, and he was there to show it.

Remembering a photoshoot he did in the suit I can't wait to see him do something like smooth waltz or foxtrot. I just hope he has a better posture in those :)

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2

I kind of felt about Paige how others feel about Ginger and the new mom/breastfeeding stuff. "I beat the crap out of people for a living, but I'm really very girly! And feminine! And princess-y. And I love tea parties and dressing up! Here's a picture of me with blood on my face, but don't be fooled! GIRLY!"

Im not in love with Mark, but Paige saying he should be more of a man was insulting imo.

I wish Mark would choose an accent and stick with it :-)

Ginger may just get on my last nerve this season. Here is a clip when she danced with Derek on GMA (of course)

Not saying this gives her a huge advantage but I think all contestants should not have danced with the pro from show on TV before.

• Love 1

The last two seasons were so terrible I thought I was done with this show, but last night was surprisingly good. Ginger was overscored (and overbubbly) and the judges were bastardy to Mischa, but otherwise it was a relatively non-annoying premiere. There are too many good dancers for me to have a favorite yet, but Geraldo is obviously the worst. I know he's 72, but he moves like he's 92. Even 80-year-old Buzz Aldrin was more limber than Geraldo.

In terms of personality, there's no one I hate yet, but Marla strikes me as a yuuuge phony. She's in fantastic shape though and a decent dancer, but that breathy-voiced, "oh you're so sweet oh give me a hug" but only when she knows the camera's pointed at her is going to work my last nerve. Also, she voluntarily married The Hair, so she's obviously morally bankrupt and also maybe blind. Why's everyone so excited about the deaf model? Marla's blind, y'all!

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 3

Over all, I liked the show, I didn't get to see most of last season due to losing Directv and trying to figure out how the antenna worked with digital tv. I come from the generation of kids that were the antenna - "stand there and move your left arm up". I am not in the generation of Kim Field or Jodie Sweeten fans, hardly watched Facts of Life, don't think I ever watched Full House. They were fine, nothing jumped out at me. I don't mind Derek on or off the show, but I will be glad to read posts here without reference to "golden boy". I'm a Maks kinda woman, I always liked the bad boys. Since I'm now in the shallow end of the the pool, it was nice to see Edyta and Karina - they never met a strip of sequins they couldn't turn into a costume! Peta was almost overdressed for her. It seems, the lesser dancer partner, the briefer the costume. But I'm probably just jealous of their smokin' hot bodies! I'm 65, that ship sailed a long time ago. I remember when Geraldo actually did news reporting! He's entirely too fond of himself now. Doug Flutie is a name I know, just that he played football and little else. I will say that Karina was mostly covered, but if that strap that held the skirt pieces together had broken, it would have been an X rated show. Of the 2 current footballers, I enjoyed the one with the hair, he needs some toning down, but he could do well. I just didn't care one way or another about the other guy - probably a lot to do with me being from KC & when I do pay attention to sports, it's Royals & Chiefs. Don't watch GMA, so no real feelings about Ginger. If someone had said she was a "Real Housewife", I would have believed, I don't know. I don't understand fighting as a choice for a career, so I'll just have to see how she is away from the ring. I remember when Marla Maples married trump, and when she did Will Rogers Follies, not real surprised that she can follow directions and dance. As far as music - if it came after 1980, I'm not familiar, so the Boys II Men means little, he was charming, I'll keep watching. I think the only music I recognized was Sweet Caroline and that's because I've been a Neil Diamond fan since forever. And back to the shallow end of the pool for a minute model was gorgeous! I was surprised that he said he didn't feel the vibrations. I took ASL at Galludet College, and the hardest part for a hearing person is just walking around campus - the music is overwhelmingly loud.

• Love 1

This season might actually be good because there are a lot of decent to great dancers. I know Nyle from ANTM and I wasn't expecting him to be such a good dancer! His cha cha with Peta was my favorite dance of the night. I'm definitely rooting for him to make it far in the competition.

I also liked Wanya and Lindsay as well as Jodie and Keo. Jodie is my favorite to win so I hope Keo can help her shine with the choreography.

Geraldo was awful, but I think Mischa will be the first to go.

A few seasons ago.  It's almost unwatchable for me now.  It's so hard to focus on the dancing. 

I left the show for several seasons because it was just such a mess with the manipulations of TPTB but now I just fast forward everything but the dances and the packages and it makes the show so much easier to watch.

• Love 1

As a huge Steeler fan I was prepared to vote for Antonio, but, damn Nyle, you own ALL my votes. I hope you can keep it up. I never watched ANTM so I didn't know him, but, I'd gladly look the show up just to see him. I'm also conservative, please don't shoot me, but, I've always disliked Geraldo and pray he goes home this week. Len excoriated (sp) Mischa so I want to see her last a few more weeks to see if she can get it together.

One former player I'd love to see (and perhaps I missed him as I don't normally watch this show) is Lynn Swann. He took ballet to help him become a better receiver. It's not ballroom, but, it shows he is willing to do the work and has some background in dance.

• Love 2

As a huge Steeler fan I was prepared to vote for Antonio, but, damn Nyle, you own ALL my votes. I hope you can keep it up. I never watched ANTM so I didn't know him, but, I'd gladly look the show up just to see him. I'm also conservative, please don't shoot me, but, I've always disliked Geraldo and pray he goes home this week. Len excoriated (sp) Mischa so I want to see her last a few more weeks to see if she can get it together.

Geraldo Rivera is a republican though. Or did you mean you dislike him even though he's conservative?

eta: ugh I think that's what you meant, sorry this post (my one) was so unnecessary.

Edited by ocelot