Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E01: Week 1: Premiere

• Start Topic

Thoughts on contestants for week 1 (in alphabetical order):

Ginger & Val – I thought she performed better than expected and came out and delivered a fun, lively jive.  Thought she felt comfortable on her own in the opening solo and really set the tone of the routine.  I think Ginger's side to side kicks/flicks with Val at the top could've been a bit sharper, crisper, and she should try to relax a bit when performing a few moves (chicken walks - jive step - were nice but felt and looked a hair tense; could be a bit more freer, looser and relaxed).  Agree with Carrie Ann that Ginger gave off Bindi vibes.

Jodie & Keo – thought they did a nice job with a careful, controlled tango.  She showed off some nice lunges in that number.  I think Jodie's someone who's versatile and can work with a variety of styles (the sensuous rumba (depending on taste/style) and sultry, sexy argentine tango, among others).  She has nice upper body isolations (Fuller House clip with Val) and can feel the music well with her arms (GMA opening cast intro).  Despite that, I still feel there's a ceiling inside of her that needs to be addressed - hopefully during the season; but she's a competent dancer who'll probably go far.

Nyle & Peta – a pleasant surprise.  For someone who harshly judges himself, sets a high personal bar and can get lost in anger in stressful situations, it was nice to see him in sync with the music and Peta.  Despite not hearing, his movement seems to suggests he has some prior experience and training with his body (dancing, yoga, clubbing?) to match Peta's.  Choreography feels and looks like the couple is working well behind closed doors in the training studio.  Curious to see how the upcoming numbers will provide a glimpse into Nyle's world.

Paige & Mark – it was a fun foxtrot to watch.  I think she's someone who's raw and it will be interesting to see her grow as the weeks progress.  I think she needs to keep her shoulders slightly down and disciplined in the ballroom (but looks good overall especially with large shoulder muscles) and needs to be careful to not show the preparations into the jump.  It's nice to see her cheerful disposition, but noteworthy is that she's experienced beign struck by lightening, thrown by 100 ft waves and watching her whole world collapse.  It's a side that fascinates me most about her, especially for someone so young like her.

Wanya & Lindsay – thought he felt the music the best out of all the contestants on week 1.  Its fun to watch a big guy move around the floor with a measure of ease and to show nice upper body isolations.  His varied facial expressions complemented the nuanced footwork nicely.  I hope be doesn't become too overconfident as the weeks progress.  It would be disappointing as it seems he has much to offer.  He has a nice bubbly personality, and hope he can sell and deliver on the more intense, dramatic dances so that it comes off both believable and grounded.

• Love 3

Lots of people did really well this week. I personally pre-show was rooting to Wanya. Glad he didn't disappoint!

Also I loved Facts of Life so I was giggling at Tootie. Lol

Paige was odd. Seemed like her legs kept separating strangely. Probably due to her fighting stance. I'm fairly neutral on her.

Regarding the football players. Flutie was awful so he should go soon. I cannot in good conscience cheer for the Steelers dude (lifelong Browns fan here!). But Vonn is so hawt, he can stay.

Disappointed for Artem. I really enjoy him but he's in danger of being the first out.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 1

Lord, I miss the days when I watched this show religiously. I still follow it but still. I just had to chime in about Doug Flutie though. If he makes it beyond this week, he better also "dance" to Jump Around. House of Pain. It is practically a right of passage on reality shows now, for those from the Boston area....or ever lived there LOL.

Geraldo Rivera is a republican though. Or did you mean you dislike him even though he's conservative?

eta: ugh I think that's what you meant, sorry this post (my one) was so unnecessary.

I dislike him even though he is a conservative. I just find him to be an offensive human being.  So much so that when my husband grew a mustache similar to his I complained daily.

• Love 3

Marla seemed sweet but I thought she was 62 not 52. She looks good and I liked her dance but she looks waaaaaay older than 52

Agreed,  when they were mentioning her age I was like huh?? I thought she was way older. Jennifer Grey looked way better.

I'm already enjoying Nyle and Peta's relationship. They're so much fun to watch. It's only been one performance and I'm wishing that the two of them have an actual relationship, despite the fact that I am a Maksim fan. LOL

I hope Jodie Sweetin makes it far. She's been through a lot of crap in her life.

It's been a couple of years since I've watched this show. Last season there were far too many Houghs for me, and far too little Len. I am so glad that I watched this as I really enjoyed it overall and am in for the season. I hope that Ginger and Paige will eventually be comfortable enough that they don't have to keep telling us their stories (I'm a mom; I'm a fighter...). I love Kim Fields-she is so Tootie! Pleasantly surprised by most of the stars.

GMA has become Entertainment Tonight in the morning. I can't watch it anymore.

Now it will "endless" Ginger coverage. And why did Robin Roberts have to be in the audience last night???

I'd surmise to support a coworker and friend.

I haven't watched DWTS in years. If there's a celeb I like, I'll tune in. Last time it was Apolo Ohno; that's how long it's been. This time Nyle brought me back. Loved him on ANTM so I just wanted to see if he could pull it off. He basically killed it. I like the cage fighter girl. Half of the professional dancers are new to me. Love the redhead Aussie. I suspected that Mischa Barton would crap out; she never seemed like a hard worker to me. I can't watch really bad non-dancing so I just skipped past Geraldo.

GMA has become Entertainment Tonight in the morning. I can't watch it anymore.

Now it will "endless" Ginger coverage. And why did Robin Roberts have to be in the audience last night???

Amy Robach was there too, as they said. She's GMA's newsreader &, usually, the lead substitute for Robin when she's away, as well as being a breast cancer survivor like Robin (she's also married to [former?] actor Andrew Shue, brother of Leaving Las Vegas Oscar nominee & CSI: Crime Scene Investigation's Elisabeth Shue, & a star on the original version of Melrose Place).

Anyway, it appears they were there just like a lot of other people (like Bindi's mom, Terri, & brother, Robert, last season): to support their friend & castmate who's in the show. Which is totally within their rights, & I see nothing wrong with it. We might even see the rest of Ginger's GMA castmates appearing as she gets farther into it.

When it was revealed on GMA that Ginger was doing DWTS this season, Robin even said she, at least, intended to be in the audience to support Ginger as much as possible while she was on. Even if she had to take a redeye--probably more likely ABC-Disney's private jet--back to NY as soon as the show was over to get back in time for GMA the next day. And she did exactly that Monday night after DWTS was over; she was right next to George Stephanopolous reporting on the Brussels airport/metro terrorist attack all morning yesterday.

• Love 3

I wish Mark would choose an accent and stick with it :-)

Thank goodness, I thought I was hearing things.  Does Mark do this often?  What's the overall opinion of Mark?  I get a smarmy vibe from him.

I left the show for several seasons because it was just such a mess with the manipulations of TPTB but now I just fast forward everything but the dances and the packages and it makes the show so much easier to watch.

That's what I used to to as well, until I gave the show up altogether.  My brain hurts if I watch it in its entirety.   There's just way too much going on.  It's like being caught in a funhouse made of glitter.

I THINK Wanya (Boyz II Men) pronounces his name Wan-Yay. I could be wrong.

I believe you're correct.  I thought it was Wan-Ya, and I cringed every time they pronounced it Wan-Yay, because it rhymes with Kanye, and I thought it was being mispronounced due to lazy research.

Kim Fields to me will always be Tootie, but I absolutely loved her as Regine on Living Single.  I could watch reruns of that show forever and not get tired of it.

So Derek is responsible for my potential migraine every time this show airs?  I really do want to give this season a try because I find the idea of dancing in front of millions of people when you've never danced before fascinating.  I love to hear the star's backstories, and I like to learn about the different types of dances.  It's all the filler that keeps me from sticking with it.  And there was just so much filler in this episode - not just filler, but crazy, disjointed, roller-coaster camera shot type filler.  I might be too old-school for this version of DWTS.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 1

It's all the filler that keeps me from sticking with it.  And there was just so much filler in this episode - not just filler, but crazy, disjointed, roller-coaster camera shot type filler.  I might be too old-school for this version of DWTS.

I hear you!!

When it was revealed on GMA that Ginger was doing DWTS this season, Robin even said she, at least, intended to be in the audience to support Ginger as much as possible while she was on. Even if she had to take a redeye--probably more likely ABC-Disney's private jet--back to NY as soon as the show was over to get back in time for GMA the next day.

Anything and everything for votes!

Thank goodness, I thought I was hearing things.  Does Mark do this often?  What's the overall opinion of Mark?  I get a smarmy vibe from him.

There's no general opinion on Mark. (-; He's a notoriously controversial pro, which is probably why he's managed to stick around for thousands of years. Controversial is always preferable to pleasant, but bland and forgettable on DWTS. He's got a very specific, somewhat extremist aesthetic in performances and choreography. People have been arguing for years about it, it works for some, not so much for others. I'm a fan, I think he brings interesting things to the show that no other pro delivers. But it is a high-risk approach, and if he misjudges and things go wrong...they go more spectacularly wrong than with other, more low-key pros. He's got somewhat eccentric taste in clothes and hairstyles, taste I don't share, but at this point I'm resigned and know that he's set in his ways and won't change on that front. (-; He's a bit of a mad scientist type.

As for the accent, that's not an affectation. He's grown up in England and has this mixed-up omni-accent, it's not something he puts on. When you see him talking for longer in interviews it's even more pronounced, it even switches around mid-sentence. As a pro, I think his strengths are his inventive choreography (though he goes overboard at times) and he's a very strong teacher, particularly for beginners. He also appears to be one of the more patient and accomodating teachers, which is why the producers often stick him with very young celebs or "fragile" celebs, trusting that he'll get good dancing out of them without driving them into nervous breakdowns.

ETA: Here's Mark on an episode of Afterbuzz, commenting on a DWTS show in season 20. It's a great episode in general, and Mark was an excellent and eloquent guest, giving good insights and critiques on all the couples without getting mean-spirited. And you can also hear his constantly varying accent in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQfWR-HSpc

Edited by katha
  • Love 7

I just want to say that I like Derek as a dancer but I'm glad he's gone and Julianne is gone too, just so Len can come back. Maybe the other pros can now focus on just pure dancing instead of mish mash of undiscernible styles ( cha chas looking like hip hop, or quickstep looking like swing or whatever). I feel like because Derek was such a real focus as a dancer and choreographer, he hardly got criticisms when he veered off style, even Len eventually joined in to praise him to high heavens. I think other pros saw this and moved further and further away from acual dancing, except maybe Val (he and Rumer were praised for keeping to proper dancing as if this was novelty). But it wasn't always so and I believe 100% that Derek contributed to those recent changes of much show and, more troupes, big production blabla and little dancing. I hope this gets cut in half at least now he's gone.

• Love 1

Why's everyone so excited about the deaf model?

Because he & Peta not only did IMO the best dance of the night, he's got the potential to make it to the Finals, if not win the whole thing, plus his hotness doesn't hurt, to put it mildly.

• Love 6

The Nyle/Peta video on DWTS's Facebook page is nearing 2 million views already. And probably not a shock but they have the most views on YouTube as well. Pleasantly surprised to see the next highest views are Sasha and Kim.

Pardon me for being shallow, but...my goodness, Nyle is extraordinarily pleasant to look at. I know there was good dancing there as well, and that his attention to Peta so that he could follow the dance was very admirable, but...that face. Those EYES. Lord have mercy. 

I never thought I'd find myself feeling sorry for Mischa Barton (she didn't endear herself to me when she was on The OC), but I think Len was way to harsh. If he'd been equally as scathing toward the other subpar dancers, I would understand, but it seemed like he saved his vitriol for her and was more level with Geraldo and Doug (who I have a bit of a soft spot for because of his autism charity work when his son was young). 

I tend to fast forward through the rehearsal packages, so I will probably be less irritated by Ginger's new mom status than other viewers. I have to give her some credit because I was nowhere ready for dancing when I was 3 month postpartum and still nursing. She could get annoying with the peppiness, just as Kim's screeching about her scores might get on my nerves sooner rather than later.

I can take or leave the footballers. I'm a DC/Baltimore girl myself, so rooting for a Pittsburgh guy won't come easily to me even if his dance talent is phenomenal and I feel like I've already seen a lot of Von Miller as he basks in the MVP shine.

Did I mention that I enjoy looking at Nyle? 'Cause I really do.

• Love 6

Welcome to the club, St. Claire.

I'm a proud member since the first episode of ANTM. I swear he is probably one of the most gorgeous people (not just men) I have ever seen.

I was afraid that it would be mostly "hot guy" and "pity" that would carry him far in this competition, but he can actually move. (excuse me while I take cold shower lol)

I went on youtube yesterday and looked up some vids of him and Peta. I'm not sure if I missed it in the intro package, or if they cut it from the live show, but put it up on youtube, but there was some turning moves in close hold, like for something ballroom smooth. Peta probably threw few basic dances at him in the beginning to establish the starting point.

From those few seconds it looked like his posture and hold were good.

I really want them to talk more about partnering skills and maybe showcase them a bit more in rehearsal. I have always been fascinated by little cues partners have for each other. What was pretty cool is that usually you don't see a male celebrity leading and partnering a lot in the first week. It takes time for a female pro to trust him and to build that partnering vocabulary, but those two were forced to do it from the get go. Nyle was directing Peta's acceleration going in and out of spins and some other moves.

In one of the vids (I think) Kym mentioned that at the rehearsals from afar at times it almost looked like Peta was dancing with Maks. And I read somewhere that Maks did come in and helped them a bit. You could totally see some "filler" things in the dance that are "very Maks" lol

• Love 2

Why do females announce their milk leakage? Men don't belabor their erections. Sheesh. Just deal with it and shutty.

While I don't need to hear about Ginger's leakage either, this isn't an apt comparison IMO.   Breasts are not meant to be sexual things really.  They have mostly been sexualized by our culture.  Having milk is just a natural part of having kids, so I don't understand the comparison between a normal part of the child birth process to a guy's sexual organs.

Also from above, I don't totally get blaming Derek for the lack of sticking to the assigned dances at this point either.  I think that is a much bigger issue that starts at TPTB. Honestly I think half the time TPTB encourage it with the song choices and the troupe nonsense and wanting everything to be bigger and better.  Everything needs to be a huge production number and some of the pros that have been at this for 10 plus seasons are probably running out of ideas.  Last season in particular I think it got bad because the pros all knew Len was gone and so they knew that it was a lot easier for them to get away with things on the scoring end.  I also don't think Val by any means is a ballroom purist anymore.  He was at one point in his early days until he realized what Derek and some of the others already knew...that it was more about the production.  All you need to do is look at Ginger's jive, which was decent for a week one dance, but was full of time wasting and a lot of non jive.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6

I'd never associate him with the word "smarmy".   In person he's very kind, quiet, thoughtful, at times even a bit bookish.  When he's in entertainer-mode, he gives it 100%.  When he's not in entertainer-mode, he very much hangs back.   

His accent is the result of an English mom and an American dad and from having lived half his life in England.  I think it switches back and forth perhaps from who he might be hearing around him or who he just had a conversation with.

As far as general opinions, everybody's got different opinions. Basically Mark knows this show has been on for over a decade.  There's only so many times people will watch essentially the same cha cha or paso.  So he tries to think outside the box and bring something new and different to the same ole, same ole.   Those who don't like variances from the standard dances, will insist he's showboating. Those who do like variances, often enjoy his choreography.   He's mentioned that at times producers will ask him to ramp up the production on his choreography, only to have the "judges" slam him for doing so. That's TPTB's idea of "entertainment", I guess. 

As far as the hair, tats, or his personal style, I guess he just has to keep up with what's trendy, especially in the world of musicians & Hollywood.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 5

Why do females announce their milk leakage? Men don't belabor their erections. Sheesh. Just deal with it and shutty.

Seemed like reasonable fair warning to her partner who might not be aware that breasts sometimes leak when you're nursing. I'm not sure why the producers decided to pull out those particular instances for her, I'd have been a bit embarrassed to have that broadcast nationwide. I doubt that's all she talks about :)

• Love 5

So Derek is responsible for my potential migraine every time this show airs? 

I think Mark is adorable.  He is far and away my favorite of the male pros.  He is a fantastic dancer, choreographer and teacher.

And yes, Derek is responsible for a lot of migraines.

• Love 3

I think Mark is adorable.  He is far and away my favorite of the male pros.  He is a fantastic dancer, choreographer and teacher.

And yes, Derek is responsible for a lot of migraines.

Thank you for replying - I'll admit, I have concentrated a lot less on the pros than I have the stars, so I don't know most of their backstories.  Interesting to me that Derek ended up being the one to drive the direction of this show, I didn't know that, either.

A lot of posters have expressed (mostly pleasant) surprise that Paige was good. Someone even referred to her raw talent. However, she's studied dance (ballet and jazz) since she was 7 years old. Her parents are dancers and own a dance studio. She got into MMA when she moved to LA and ran into someone connected to it while she was looking for a new dance studio to join.

None of that takes away from a great debut on DWTS. Just wanted to point out that she probably has the most dance background of anyone on this season.

• Love 1

A lot of posters have expressed (mostly pleasant) surprise that Paige was good. Someone even referred to her raw talent. However, she's studied dance (ballet and jazz) since she was 7 years old. Her parents are dancers and own a dance studio. She got into MMA when she moved to LA and ran into someone connected to it while she was looking for a new dance studio to join.

None of that takes away from a great debut on DWTS. Just wanted to point out that she probably has the most dance background of anyone on this season.

She HAS to be Mark's dream partner for contemporary. I saw video of her dancing and I know that it will be amazing. I can't wait to see her do that dance style.

• Love 1

The cast was pretty good for the first week. I agree with the consensus on Geraldo; that was one of the slowest, most lumbering dances I've seen on this show.

I don't watch GMA, so I had no idea who Ginger is, but I thought her dancing was decent but not 8-worthy. But the breastfeeding thing was annoying. I breastfed my son for first six months, pumped in strange locations, nursed him in bookstores, once on a hiking trail. And I get that she didn't spend every minute talking about it, but geez. I'm pretty sure I didn't talk to my co-workers about breastfeeding as much in six months as she did in the bits of footage we saw. Is this going to be her storyline? Can we look forward to her dancing to "Milkshake" in the coming weeks?

One week in, Nyle is my pick for final two. I thought he was terrific. But how long before his interpreter demands a raise for having to try and translate CAI's babbling gibberish into coherent ASL?

• Love 4

I don't watch GMA, so I had no idea who Ginger is, but I thought her dancing was decent but not 8-worthy. But the breastfeeding thing was annoying. I breastfed my son for first six months, pumped in strange locations, nursed him in bookstores, once on a hiking trail. And I get that she didn't spend every minute talking about it, but geez. I'm pretty sure I didn't talk to my co-workers about breastfeeding as much in six months as she did in the bits of footage we saw. Is this going to be her storyline? Can we look forward to her dancing to "Milkshake" in the coming weeks?

Close, they went with "Pump up the Jams" https://instagram.com/p/BCts4J4x58r/

Ginger annoyed me too with her breastfeeding comments, but I try to remind myself that editing can do some real magic (or witchcraft lol) she might have mentioned it 5 times during the weeks of training but all 5 made it into 20 seconds promo clip lol

I don't like Keo. Jodie deserves a much better partner.

And, I think Edyta came back and knew full well she wanted a short term partner. They gave her Geraldo.  She has a 2 year old at home, so she gets publicity and cash and has fun.

• Love 1

Christ, Len was horrible to poor Mischa. I never watched The OC or knew much about her personality, but in the past I've come across a few articles about her struggle with drugs and mental health. Coupled with what seems to be a more introverted personality, I fear she's not long for this show. I can only hope that previous tales of being unable to vote mean she's getting support, because fuck Len - she seriously looked like she was about to cry for a moment. Her dancing may not have been great, but it was far from Geraldo Horrible and she has lots of room for not only dance improvement but to come out of her shell a bit and enjoy herself, so I hope she gets the chance to do so.

Jodie's dancing was good, but I want to concuss whoever sent her to the Jenna School of Camera Mugging. What the actual hell was that? Whoever taught her that, make it stop immediately.

Speaking of mugging for the camera, can they please get rid of Jenna? She mugs with her whole body. She's too much.

I enjoyed Antonio, Von was dorkily endearing, and Wanya was a nice surprise.

She did a stag leap effortlessly and landed on heels.  That takes dance training.  Looking forward to see what Mark and Paige do this season.  Like others, I think Doug, Misha, and Geraldo were the only ones that didn't dance well.    On the first show, I like Wanya and Nyle the best.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 1