Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I saw, but didn't they say they were restricted to episodes where nothing romantic happened?

I would assume they were restricted to the episodes that became public domain due to a clerical error.

They watch Andy Griffith. It's always been one of the "approved" shows. I always wondered how they got around Floyd, the town drunk (that IS his name, right?).

The drunk was named Otis. Floyd was the gay town barber. ;-)
  • Love 8

Hogan's Heroes -- These uneducated dolts probably think it's a WWII documentary.

Maybe in 20 years they'll be allowed to watch MASH.

MASH is way too racy. They referred to Hoolihan as "Hot Lips", for Chrissake. As for "Hogan's Heroes", it soft of makes me laugh. My grandparents were concentration camp survivors and they loathed the show and found it so offensive fhat they would make a comedy about a German POW camp, particularly when wounds from that war were still kind of fresh. In return, my dad never let me watch reruns as a kid due to his sharing that sentiment. The one show I couldn't watch as a child, the Duggars can? What the hell, dude!

(edited)

The marrieds can watch whatever they want. These people have been known to fib here and there. Jessa and Ben probably watch Jessa and Ben, ff through 19 kids and counting until they are featured, rewind, Jessa and Ben gaze adoringly at each other, post crap on instagram, read all the critical posts about themselves, delete, laugh and post more crap. Pretend to watch pre 1970's sitcoms, watch Big Bang theory and Netflix. Their mascots are banned troll dolls dressed as Jill and Derrick with pins poked into them.

Well, maybe that isn't true, but they travel on planes so they may have seen a movie here and there that would be banned by JB.

They sure walked through that airport like we see actual 'stars' do when approached by TMZ (or affiliate). No comment, slight smile... looked very familiar.

Everything in the media is smoke and mirrors to me.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 3

the anti Dugg commenters seem to have the edge in language and logic skills. JMO.

Oh I KNOW!!! They are sometimes just SO funny!!! That wasn't really wasted time, Suz, that was research. Wasted time is when you go to YouTube, and you find a clip of Ellen, which leads to another and another and another and when you look at the clock, 3 hours has drifted by.

I get sucked in when the anti-Duggars and the forgive and move on Duggars start replying to each other. HATEFUL!!! Both sides, too, although every now and again, one of the haters on the pro side will remember to say "I'm praying for you". Passionate responses both ways.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure where to put this as it relates to another TLC family but it's not quite just about that other family so thought I'd start here and someone can move the discussion if necessary.

I know despite their hellfire and brimstone, the Duggars aren't all that discriminating about what TLC and it's parent company film and present on their networks.  I mean, Sex Sent Me to the ER, come on.  This summer, TLC is premiering a new show, I am Jazz, a show that documents a young trans woman and her family.  I have been curious if this would make the Duggars turn on TLC and if so, perhaps this could be a reason why no announcement has been made yet?  There are religious stations the Duggars could move to. I'm guessing the contract states TLC can cease production on the show at anytime, but does it allow the Duggars the same?  Even if TLC wants to drop, there could be a "If we can't have you no one can" going on behind the scenes. 

Of course, it's just as likely that the Duggars think they are the only people on the network and they aren't even all that aware of other shows, but I have been curious about this.  

• Love 5

Contracts have non-compete clauses preventing talent from working for other stations.  Religious stations, although there are plenty, don't pay much.  Most of their shows are extremely old and cheap.  It's not up to the Duggars to determine what the TLC network airs.  They are also prevented from talking about their contracts or much of anything else for many, many years, if not forever.

• Love 4

Remember TLC Had United Bates of America in 2012 and now UP has Bringing Up Bates 2015 so if there is a non compete clause I assume either 2 or 3 years for a another channel gets Them.

Remember TLC Had United Bates of America in 2012 and now UP has Bringing Up Bates 2015 so if there is a non compete clause I assume either 2 or 3 years for a another channel gets Them.

Contracts have non-compete clauses preventing talent from working for other stations.  Religious stations, although there are plenty, don't pay much.  Most of their shows are extremely old and cheap.  It's not up to the Duggars to determine what the TLC network airs.  They are also prevented from talking about their contracts or much of anything else for many, many years, if not forever.

Right, but if the contract is canceled, then they can go elsewhere I would assume (going by the Bates').  I wasn't implying that the Duggars determine what the network airs.  Merely wondering whether or not the Duggars would have serious problems being employed by a network that airs shows that have casts in which they have expressed intense hatred.  Jessa has told us that it matters to her what sort of things falls under the umbrella parent companies and such and has made value judgements about that.  It's hard to imagine these people being consistent in any way, but they have been very consistent about LGBT people so I was merely curious what they might be talking about behind the scenes about this who and what they might be trying to do if they've decided that they want to continue their reign of hate.  

• Love 1

Right, but if the contract is canceled, then they can go elsewhere I would assume (going by the Bates').

The Roloffs were under contract for 2 years after their show ended, Khate was under contract for one year after cancellation, and Mama June's contract with TLC just ended in May. It's reasonable to assume The Duggars have similar clauses in their contacts

• Love 3

Religious stations, although there are plenty, don't pay much.  Most of their shows are extremely old and cheap.  

I read this too fast and thought it said "Most of their viewers are extremely old and cheap." Hmmm . . . maybe that works, too! :)

• Love 5

The Roloffs were under contract for 2 years after their show ended, Khate was under contract for one year after cancellation, and Mama June's contract with TLC just ended in May. It's reasonable to assume The Duggars have similar clauses in their contacts

Right, but they couldn't  if TLC doesn't release them from the contract.  

I suppose I'm not explaining this very well.  Ignoring the speculation I posed about TLC's new show, I am Jazz, and how the Duggars vomit hate, my curiosity here is whether TLC would keep them around, preventing them from moving on.  For example, they air a rerun here, a Jessa baby special there, all these things that really don't do much for the Duggars.

Anyway, it's all speculation and I tend to dislike random speculation so moving on.  

They watch Andy Griffith. It's always been one of the "approved" shows. I always wondered how they got around Floyd, the town drunk (that IS his name, right?). Do they find those episodes and put blocks on them? 

eta: ginger90, we've been discussing the Joshie video on the Smuganna thread since yesterday. :)

Otis was the town drunk. And then there were those two "party" girls that attached themselves to Andy and Barney a few times. Guess that got past Boob's radar. And of course in the first season there was Ellie, the lady pharmacist who had a job and was unmarried. Boob missed that one too. And Barney and Thelma Lou certainly didn't have a "pure" courtship... LOL!

• Love 2

Haha! Goes to show how much *I* have watched Andy Griffith (pretty much never). :D

I'm of JB/Mechelle's generation, and cut my teeth on stuff like All in the Family, Maude, MASH, etc. And yes, Little House and The Waltons for a while before I outgrew them. Of course, none of those shows exist, except maybe The Waltons (early seasons, before the girls got too saucy and found careers for themselves). I know the girls wore those horrible bloomers and hair mops, but did they ever really read Little House or watch? I've heard conflicting reports on whether it was an accepted show or not, for all the reasons we've discussed here many times. I know they heard about it, because one of the girls mentions it when they're decorating the TTH bedroom back in 2006. Maybe one or two read a book or two of the series before they pulled the plug? Who knows, really? 

Haha! Goes to show how much *I* have watched Andy Griffith (pretty much never). :D

I'm of JB/Mechelle's generation, and cut my teeth on stuff like All in the Family, Maude, MASH, etc. And yes, Little House and The Waltons for a while before I outgrew them. Of course, none of those shows exist, except maybe The Waltons (early seasons, before the girls got too saucy and found careers for themselves). I know the girls wore those horrible bloomers and hair mops, but did they ever really read Little House or watch? I've heard conflicting reports on whether it was an accepted show or not, for all the reasons we've discussed here many times. I know they heard about it, because one of the girls mentions it when they're decorating the TTH bedroom back in 2006. Maybe one or two read a book or two of the series before they pulled the plug? Who knows, really? 

I don't know, I don't think Laura and Manly ever had a chaperone.

• Love 2

Folks, we asked yesterday to please keep this about the Duggars in the media. Talking about past television shows and what you watched and the various characters on those shows are way off topic. Please keep it about the Duggars and articles about the Duggars, how they are perceived in various forms of media and TLC. 

Thank you.

• Love 1

Right, but they couldn't  if TLC doesn't release them from the contract.  

This would depend on how the contract is structured.  There most likely is a non-compete, but it may remain in effect for a specified period of time even after the show's cancellation.  That way, the network gets exclusive use of the show they produced without having to pay the "talent" for production costs, though they may have to pay royalties or residuals.  Without looking at the contract (and Lord, but I'd love to get a look at that contract and find out exactly how the payments are structured), it would be impossible to tell when the non-compete sunsets or if it even exists (though I can't imagine it wouldn't).  

• Love 1

I'm thinking they don't have another shoe to drop, if this is the best they can come up with...

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/josh-duggar-returns-to-social-media-to-wish-wife-anna-a-happy-birthday-61593

I think they're working on finding out what's going on with the latest DHS investigation, which might take a while. I'm also wondering if In Touch will release that information when TLC puts 19KAC back on the schedule.

With this kind of media attention, he's going to have to find something to do that doesn't involve public appearances. He *and* his parents need to just STFU in public. 

I'm not sure that's true. Alan Keyes' resume is basically being William Kristol's college roommate, and he's been paying his bills for decades with website columns and running as the pro-life candidate in races where nobody local on the right is willng to spend the money to lose. I'm pretty sure if Josh works it right, he can support his family on more money than most people will ever see as a tragic victim of liberal victimization.

• Love 1

E! is back to covering any Duggar social media posting and described Josh's Father's Day message as 'sweet'. Urgh.

Josh, Michelle and Jim Bob have been very clear about their anti-gay views. And this is why I can't get behind the girls or root for them to succeed. They are steeped in the same bigotry, intolerance and hatred and have shown no sign they give any of it a second thought. People don't seem to have made the leap that what the parents and brother believe they also believe. I would like to hope at least one of the kids is going to break out but it takes tremendous strength and courage to leave everything you know behind, including your entire family. I won't hold my breath.

• Love 16

TLC doesn't pay residuals.  They own the shows and there is no union to negotiate residuals/royalties and other perks.  They will control the Duggar network appearances until the end of the current contract period cancellation or not. 

• Love 4

Great question @Suz at Large, because w/o he Fox interview extension it most likely would have been out of the eye of the storm before the Hastert news, now it's forever connected because of the timing and the political implications of hypocrisy.  It was quieting down a lot before those interviews brought a lot of it back up and in my opinion took a really bad situation and made it worse with all of the minimizing that went on in them.

• Love 6

I think it would have faded much quicker. You notice that Dennis Hastert didn't give any interviews! Josh's initial reaction was the right one - public resignation. Lie low. Really, we in DC are professionals about ugly scandals.

But ONCE AGAIN, Jim Bob proves that his political instincts are terrible.

• Love 11

I agree GEML.  I think I even said it on one of these threads when it first broke:  if they just lay low and shut up, someone more famous will do something more newsworthy and their name will fade away.  But noooooooooooooooooo.  They do love the spotlight.

• Love 4

But ONCE AGAIN, Jim Bob proves that his political instincts are terrible.

Quite terrible indeed, but he's calculating enough to realize the rumored 7-figures he made off the interview was worth it. Not as much money likely to be coming after the scandal. It's been shown time and again JB couldn't care less about his family's dignity and privacy.

• Love 7

I could be wrong (it happens to the best of us) but I think JB is still the head of the married girls households (with leeway to the husbands) I don't think JB would let the girls have a spin off without the whole family being involved.

• Love 2

In the meantime, if TLC does a spinoff special or series with Jessa and Jill, JB and Michelle will probably have infarctions when they realize they will not be on camera. 

This is the one reason I hope they do a Jessa/Jill spinoff. I love the idea that it would tick off JB and Michelle.

I'm seriously skeptical about them being paid much of anything, let alone seven figures. Their numbers just aren't there in terms of viewership. Not on their show, and not on FoxNews.

• Love 6

I could be wrong (it happens to the best of us) but I think JB is still the head of the married girls households (with leeway to the husbands) I don't think JB would let the girls have a spin off without the whole family being involved.

I agree, and I expect he will declare himself their manager, ala Kris Kardashian, and take a hefty chunk off the top for himself.  Even if he doesn't appear on the show, he can and would insist on producer credit and problably demand editorial control over the storylines and scripts.  JB is not going to fade into obscurity if he can help it and he will continue to use his kids to do so.  If he does agree to allow them to do a spin-off without him and Michelle, it will only be under his direct supervision and only if he can profit from it.

I agree, they shot themselves in the collective foot with the Fox interviews.  JB is truly tone-deaf when it comes to PR.  I suppose the huge payday was some consolation; but if they'd just faded away for a month or two, they probably could've sneaked under the radar and back onto our TV's.  Instead, besides admitting that it was their daughters who were molested (and offering them up for interviews),  their insistence that the molestation is no big deal and that their method of handling it was perfect did them in with the public.  Their lack of humility and complete ignorance of the wrongheadedness of their views was enough to keep the presses running.

• Love 11

I'm pretty sure if Josh works it right, he can support his family on more money than most people will ever see as a tragic victim of liberal victimization.

Shall we bet now that Josh will debut soon on FOX News?

• Love 1

I'm seriously skeptical about them being paid much of anything, let alone seven figures. Their numbers just aren't there in terms of viewership. Not on their show, and not on FoxNews.

A popular A-story national interview that landed Kelly her best ratings of the year? A lot of money changed hands.

• Love 4

A popular A-story national interview that landed Kelly her best ratings of the year? A lot of money changed hands.

But it's not like those one-off ratings are going to have any kind of extended impact. As someone who used to approve advertising buys, I would have had major eye roll over anyone suggesting that two sad trainwreck interviews that brought in a rubbernecking audience for two nights should be considered in the program's ongoing market share.

• Love 7

Wow, that was spun so hard I got whiplash. "His world and that of his family is crumbling beneath his fingers with no light at this time shinning at the end of the tunnel to guide him out and back to the life he, his wife and children enjoyed before the media tore his little world into shreds. It is very sad that the shame is terrifying everyone in his family that loves him and is standing by him through thick and thin." Barf.

• Love 13
(edited)

Wow, that was spun so hard I got whiplash. "His world and that of his family is crumbling beneath his fingers with no light at this time shinning at the end of the tunnel to guide him out and back to the life he, his wife and children enjoyed before the media tore his little world into shreds. It is very sad that the shame is terrifying everyone in his family that loves him and is standing by him through thick and thin." Barf.

This. Also, boo fucking hoo.

Man up, Joshie. You just keep losing points and melodramatic poor-widdle-Joshie crap like this doesn't help.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 12
(edited)

No kidding, right?!  Poor Josh. You know America is going down the toilet when you can't even molest your sisters without the media tearing your little world to shreds.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 22

That got people that would never tune into FNC in the first place?  I think so too!

Well, too, there's the political mission of Fox, so bringing in new evangelical viewers and doing damage control on all those CPAC pictures with prospective presidential candidates is two different kinds of win.

I'm not sure which part of that I'm most struck by: the light "shinning" at the end of the tunnel he's somehow inexplicably in despite the fact that his whole life is under his fingertips, and the idea he and his family didn't owe the life he and his family enjoyed entirely to the media.

Which apparently giveth and taketh away. Which is probably why christians are advised to avoid the pomps of the world. I read that somewhere.

• Love 12

I think if Jill and Jessa had been the only ones to do the interview and Jim Bob and Michelle had stayed out of it entirely, the entire family would probably be looked at tons more favorably.  Jim Bob and Michelle describing how it was all no big deal because the victims were sleeping  and further discussing how they waited and waited and waited to do anything and then detailing how they punished the victims by  making them take on more child care duty and no longer allowing them to play with their male siblings really screwed it up for all of them.  I mean, it takes a special sort of person to listen to this and think these people are normal and reasonable.

If it's just Jill and Jessa coming on and saying essentially what they said ("We were the victims, we've worked through this already, mistakes were made but we've forgiven and moved on and we think y'all should too") the family would probably be enjoying some great summer rerun ratings.  Take note, ladies.  The patriarchy ruined it for you!  Maybe you want to see about disengaging from that patriarchal cult.  

• Love 7

"The media tore his world to shreds" - um, NO!  That was you and only you, Josh.  You decided to hid the story when your family went on t.v.  Or your dad hid the story.  But the decision was made and, if you ever watched t.v. or read a newspaper regularly, you would know the media likes to do digging.

• Love 6