Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Wow, well, if TLC coached the Duggars for that interview, they did a really terrible job.

Oh and I'm sure TLC keeps Mama June in the loop on all of their discussions with the current "talent".  She an excellent source for the inside scoop.  NOT!

• Love 6

As I've said - whether it was legal or not wasn't really the question. The question would be, is anyone going to go to court to DECIDE what is legal? Statues are only the beginning.

So...about the FOIA...

Can a media outlet (or ANYone) just file a request that says give me everything with DUGGAR in it, or does it have to be specific? I mean, does the media (whomever) have to know EXACTLY what they're looking for and request THAT, specifically? My guess is yes, it must have to be very specific or else InTouch would have done a back-hoe dump by now. I'm sure they e paid quite ambit of overtime to the people looking for SOME document that would bury this mess for good. I'm not sure the judge CAN issue a "no more releases" kind of order, and I'm already on record saying I hope there's nothing more. I still haven't gotten my "brain stains" off the walls from my head exploding the first time ever around. I don't think we need any more Duggar dirt, I think we know all we need to know.

• Love 1

So...about the FOIA...

Can a media outlet (or ANYone) just file a request that says give me everything with DUGGAR in it, or does it have to be specific? I mean, does the media (whomever) have to know EXACTLY what they're looking for and request THAT, specifically? My guess is yes, it must have to be very specific or else InTouch would have done a back-hoe dump by now. I'm sure they e paid quite ambit of overtime to the people looking for SOME document that would bury this mess for good. I'm not sure the judge CAN issue a "no more releases" kind of order, and I'm already on record saying I hope there's nothing more. I still haven't gotten my "brain stains" off the walls from my head exploding the first time ever around. I don't think we need any more Duggar dirt, I think we know all we need to know.

Yes, it needs to be specific.

Yikes, Zimmerman had close ties to the Duggars before everything blew up. I doubt what she did was legal, and I'm sure InTouch had everything worth getting before they launched the first article.

• Love 3

Can JB do some internet show?

I don't know how that stuff works so I was just asking if they can pop up in another media outlet.

I know the my five wives crew took to YouTube when theor show got the can, maybe the Duggars will risk being defrauded by a woman doing yoga in the suggested videos and make a channel.

Why was that even reported on? That's beyond low "journalism" standards. It's cashing in on the mentally ill ramblings of a very sick and vulnerable person. (And I don't mean Josh.)

Because radaronline is run by ethically bankrupt idiots who measure everything in life by how many "clicks" they can garner?

• Love 6
(edited)

This was particularly interesting...

"Since TLC pulled 19 Kids, the network's average prime-time ratings have actually gone up."

I suspect that fact will have the most impact on whether the show returns or not.

I just don't know what they could talk about. Anything about their purity/modesty standards is just sad, now that we know a big part of the reason for them. Anything with the parents' wink wink kissy grabass stuff is now even creepier. As for JimBob/Michelle's sanctimonious comments about how to raise children...how did that work out for them?

Just not seeing it. They were hard-pressed to fill an episode as it was.

Exactly.

And beside the fact that they really don't have any content -- and less now that sexual stuff whether about the virtues of modesty or the virtues of taunting mini-golf-course humping has such an ick factor -- I don't think the public in general is ever too happy when a "reality" show is outed as having little basis of reality. And that's certainly the case here.

And, yeah, we all know that the shows manipulate reality. But in this case, It's hard not to look back at those early episodes and the total Walton image they were giving these people and think about what was going on with the family at that exact minute -- and that had been going on for a few years. The $64,000 Question turned people off too, when they found out that some contestants were being given the answers. There's embroidering reality -- and then there's departing from it altogether, and I think a lot of people are likely to feel that 19 Kids is closer to the total-departure mode. .... If you foster that kind of mistrust in viewers -- and then bore the crap out of them too -- your chances probably aren't that good.

Plus, if they did come back, a large number of viewers (not gonna say most because I'm not sure that would be right) will want them to address the issue that they faced and that they're now facing. And their interviews made quite clear that they aren't going to do that. So how does TLC present this as a "reality show" going forward?

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they try a couple "focus on the young families and courters" specials, once some more time has passed.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Anyway, it turns out Judge Zimmerman (the one who ordered the destruction of the records) had an addendum to her order that started no further FOIA requests regarding the Duggars we to be honored. However, that addendum didn't make it to the police department in time to block the release of the records regarding the 911 call. The debate now is the legality of that order. Can she do that?

I highly, highly doubt that.  

And in case anyone else was playing along at home, this particular judge is a former Huckabee appointee and specialized in Agricultural Law before deciding to run for position of Juvenile Judge for Washington & Madison Counties.

Oh, and apparently the Arkansas Bar has suspended her for non-payment of dues since 2012.  I haven't found anything stating she is currently in good standing.

• Love 4

In Arkansas, bar association membership is voluntary. Admission to practice law is handled by the Arkansas Supreme Court. You can be a licensed attorney in good standing, and not belong to the Arkansas Bar Association. The judge appears to be duly licensed as an attorney per the Supreme Court attorney search webpage.

You ruin my fun.  I almost had a BINGO with the "Overly sympathetic judge" square. ;)

• Love 15

Yikes, Zimmerman had close ties to the Duggars before everything blew up. I doubt what she did was legal, and I'm sure InTouch had everything worth getting before they launched the first article.

Zimmerman better be purer than Caesar's wife, or the press will come after her. Not for religious reasons but for political cronyism. And if that gets messy, it won't help the Duggars. At least I think, before the Josh reveal, that TLC was perhaps more vulnerable to losing sponsors and viewers because of politics than religion. Many people kind of watched for what was interesting about their religious practices. Politics, not so much. 

• Love 6

How is it that TLC has higher ratings since the Duggar blow up?  It's mostly reruns from years ago with the exception of the Little Couple.  I was wondering how that could be since this is summer rerun season and certainly not a sweeps period.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know the my five wives crew took to YouTube when theor show got the can, maybe the Duggars will risk being defrauded by a woman doing yoga in the suggested videos and make a channel.

The Duggars already have a YouTube channel. I think it's Duggar Films. The Howlers run it (primarily Jason, IIRC).

Edited by Sew Sumi

Political cronyism in Ar???? Who would have thought?????

(Raise your hand if you lived through the pre-Clinton years)

Seriously - I keep saying this is being played out way more as a political matter than a TV matter. This isn't PEOPLE MAGAZINE anymore. It's now about the media itself and ideology. I do agree this hurts the Duggars in the long run, but it probably is somewhat soothing right now to think it's a vast left wing conspiracy, just as it was probably comforting to Hillary that it was a vast right wing conspiracy when Bill was admiring Monica's blue dress.

Seriously, is it the water???

• Love 7

Seriously - I keep saying this is being played out way more as a political matter than a TV matter. This isn't PEOPLE MAGAZINE anymore. It's now about the media itself and ideology. I do agree this hurts the Duggars in the long run, but it probably is somewhat soothing right now to think it's a vast left wing conspiracy, just as it was probably comforting to Hillary that it was a vast right wing conspiracy when Bill was admiring Monica's blue dress.

No, GEML, it's in the iced tea! You know they don't drink water in the south!

I can't help but wonder why the Duggars thought this would never get out... isn't there something in the bible about how things done in the dark tend to come out into the light?

• Love 3

How is it that TLC has higher ratings since the Duggar blow up?  It's mostly reruns from years ago with the exception of the Little Couple.  I was wondering how that could be since this is summer rerun season and certainly not a sweeps period.

I was guessing they were comparing June to June. Maybe, to make some kind of sense out of it, June was a big Duggar rerun month. I don't really know. 

• Love 1

I was guessing they were comparing June to June. Maybe, to make some kind of sense out of it, June was a big Duggar rerun month. I don't really know. 

In that case, apparently reruns of SYTTD and Four Weddings, etc. bring in higher ratings than Duggar reruns?

TLC also launches their summer lineup, so the nighttime stuff has new offerings of the Gypsy Sisters, Amish, etc. The Willises might have also done fairly well. Christians with TALENT for crying out loud. So much more enjoyable than watching the aftermath of a Duggar getting  her wisdom teeth pulled. 

• Love 2

I'm sure TLC keeps Mama June in the loop on all of their discussions with the current "talent".  She an excellent source for the inside scoop.  NOT!

June might conceivably have one or two low-level TLC employees that she keeps in touch with, but I can't believe anybody with any real clout (or anybody that cared about their jobs) would return her phone calls.  But she's so desperate for attention these days that she'll do or say anything if it might get her back on camera or in a tabloid for a second.

The "unfairness" of it all must be killing her.

• Love 2

In that case, apparently reruns of SYTTD and Four Weddings, etc. bring in higher ratings than Duggar reruns?

Those fantasy worlds are still intact. Now that the mask has slipped on the Duggars, I don't think people can forget that under the smiles, there's a creepy incestuous world of lies.

I think the leghumping fans will move on soon enough.

• Love 8

Willises have not done well.  I expect to say that TLC has done better since the Duggar dust up that they would be comparing before the third week of May to afterward. 

• Love 2

TLC also launches their summer lineup, so the nighttime stuff has new offerings of the Gypsy Sisters, Amish, etc. The Willises might have also done fairly well. Christians with TALENT for crying out loud. So much more enjoyable than watching the aftermath of a Duggar getting  her wisdom teeth pulled. 

I really like the Willises too. 

(edited)

No, it's not in the water. It's human nature - and a coping mechanism. The Duggars are flat-out deluding themselves now that they're important or influential enough to warrant a left-wing media conspiracy against them. Delusional with a generous dollop of Gothard-style paranoia thrown in for good measure. However I'm not so sure Hillary was wrong about a right-wing conspiracy. She may have deluded herself in the beginning, but Bill did end up being impeached. And how about this? By a few fellows who had some sexual issues of their own - Henry Hyde, Dennis Hastert, Newt Gingrich. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 19

Willises have not done well.  I expect to say that TLC has done better since the Duggar dust up that they would be comparing before the third week of May to afterward. 

Too bad to hear about the Willises, although I don't see what else they could really show about these people. They already hit on pretty much all bases, and anything else would just be same song, difererent verse. I mean, how many songs can we watch the oldest daughter compose? How many singalongs or Irish dancing? I do like them, but the model for them looks to get very stale very quickly. And no weddings for them; if the oldest two kids leave and cleave, there is no more Willis Clan. 

So much for that theory about how TLC could be pulling in higher ratings than during what they had during May Sweeps. It has to be a June vs. June comparison (and I don't mean Mama!) 

• Love 2

TLC Australia still air and promote 'My Five Wives' despite it being canned. They also had a habit of holding back the new seasons of "19 Kids" for at least six months. You might think this was due to some sort of strategy, but when the molestation scandal hit, the new "19 Kids" episodes were substituted with "Tattoo Nightmares", and the early season "19 Kids" repeats were replaced with "LA Ink". I don't think there's much of an overlap between Duggar viewers and Tattoo reality show viewers. The Willises aren't on TLC Australia's schedule, and they aren't even mentioned on the website as 'coming soon' or even mentioned at all.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's just me, but I found the Willis family unwatchable.  I did a quick look and TLC's ratings have gone up since removing the Duggars.  However, and it's a big however, the fluctuation is within the normal TLC range of fluctuations.  This is average prime time live plus same day viewing.  (Since it's prime time, the Duggars really have nothing to do with it in theory except to show that if there's a boycott, it isn't working.)

W/E 5/24 (last week they were on) 726,000

W/E 5/31                                         934,000

W/E 6/7                                           849,000

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

I have a hard time watching the Willis family because I live in Chicago and that horric accident Scott and Janet survived comes back to mind everytime I watch then I get depressed. If I didn't know their story maybe it would make for easier watching but I can't forget.

• Love 4

In my area and in the south where my mom and nephews live it's summer break, more people are home to watch TV and what not. I speak for myself but when it's summer vacation for my kids i take a lot of time off work,(I own my own business and can do that) I have more time to watch TV if I want, I'm sure others do this as well, I know a lot of mothers from my church do this. TV rating going up around here

• Love 1

I see the married girls have been putting out baby pictures and sonograms,carrying on with business as usual, because outlets are still covering them. I didn't have much of an opinion on either but I've come around to believe they do indeed really want their spinoff. They aren't very interesting, and I know I saw one of them (Jessa?) on major news outlets insisting all science supports creationism. And I was thinking. Completely apart from the molestation, their brother's job was to be the public face of a hate group. Their parents are documented hatemongers, putting out disinformation that LGBTQ people are pedophiles. The children in this family are incapable of having any thoughts that were not dictated by their parents. So beneath the surface these young women are the same vile, bigoted fanatics.

Does this make anyone look at them differently now? Oh, and Jana is out there telling everyone Michelle is a wonderful role model and mother. No dissent will ever be allowed.

• Love 16

I dunno if this is where it should go, but... i have a confession.

I'd rather they put Honey Boo Boo back on the air instead of any Duggar spinoff. Alana had more personality on her pinky than the Duggar clan combined.

Once you take away the "omg 19 kids" and the "zany *Christian* values", the Duggars are as dull as dirt. The Bateses are more interesting even. The only appeal the Duggars would have are how "close knit" and "Christian" they are. Oh, and marriage and babies.

The show would have bombed even without the scandal, because like i said, the Duggars are boring. It was becoming hard to watch and snark on every week, if I'm honest.

And, now, i can't even watch them without feeling, for lack of a better word... defrauded. What happened to my good "Christian" family? A scandal like this would have never been covered up like this.. people who honestly believed in God, wouldn't try to play a situation like this off as boys will be boys. They wouldn't try and trick people who didn't read the report into believing their narrative.

The illusion is broken, everyone involved in that show is tainted IMO.

At least Mama June didn't try and convince me her way of living was better than mine.

• Love 17

I'd rather they put Honey Boo Boo back on the air instead of any Duggar spinoff. Alana had more personality on her pinky than the Duggar clan combined.

Once you take away the "omg 19 kids" and the "zany *Christian* values", the Duggars are as dull as dirt. The Bateses are more interesting even. The only appeal the Duggars would have are how "close knit" and "Christian" they are. Oh, and marriage and babies.

The show would have bombed even without the scandal, because like i said, the Duggars are boring. It was becoming hard to watch and snark on every week, if I'm honest.

And, now, i can't even watch them without feeling, for lack of a better word... defrauded. What happened to my good "Christian" family? A scandal like this would have never been covered up like this.. people who honestly believed in God, wouldn't try to play a situation like this off as boys will be boys. They wouldn't try and trick people who didn't read the report into believing their narrative.

At least Mama June didn't try and convince me her way of living was better than mine.

Mama June was perhaps one of the only reality people who never used an excuse or reason other than wanting to make money either. I always gave her credit for that.

• Love 4

I agree with the Duggars being boring. Those 2 hour special were so draining. I just don't know how they managed to fill almost an entire season about Jill. The show has run it's course, the 19 kids are moving on. Maybe an update feature 'where are they now' in 10 years or something, but watching two young Christian families like Jill and Jessa? There have to be 2 more interesting Gothard newlyweds than these folks. Maybe they can find some 14 year olds in courtships and follow them through their weddings and births eegads.

• Love 3

I have a hard time watching the Willis family because I live in Chicago and that horric accident Scott and Janet survived comes back to mind everytime I watch then I get depressed. If I didn't know their story maybe it would make for easier watching but I can't forget.

I remember hearing them on FOTF (now a "hate group", I guess) years ago and was very touched by their story.  As a new mom, I couldn't fathom losing one child much less more than one.  Then years later, I one of my children died and more often than I want to admit I thought if that family (couldn't remember their name) can survive losing more than one, I can survive this.

• Love 3

I lose more respect for TLC (not that I had a lot to begin with) every day that passes without a firm statement about the Duggars and their future productions. I respected the Honey Boo Boo decision and how quickly it was reached. But this shit is just delaying the inevitable. If you read back over these forums for the 2-3 weeks prior to the molestation story breaking, people were already showing Duggar fatigue and wondering how soon it would be cancelled. This would be a perfect time to let it die and force the Duggars to adjust to live off camera.

And feeling "defrauded" watching them now? I agree 100%!!

• Love 14

Nothing could convince me to watch Honey Boo Boo.

Alana may have more personality, but she gross, has real health issues in her future, has no manners, and her mother disgusts me. Alana also seems to be entitled from the little I've seen in videos & interviews & show clips.

• Love 3

I lose more respect for TLC (not that I had a lot to begin with) every day that passes without a firm statement about the Duggars and their future productions. I respected the Honey Boo Boo decision and how quickly it was reached. But this shit is just delaying the inevitable. If you read back over these forums for the 2-3 weeks prior to the molestation story breaking, people were already showing Duggar fatigue and wondering how soon it would be cancelled. This would be a perfect time to let it die and force the Duggars to adjust to live off camera.

I think TLC 'cancelled' Honey Boo Boo because the revelation that June had been in contact with a child rapist/ex-boyfriend alienated the 'sugar bear' side of the cast from June, and then her own daughter (and cast member) revealed that she was the rape victim, and that she was livid her mother was in contact with the guy who raped her. A lot of the cast were not on speaking terms, if the show went forward, there would be a ton of the cast conspicuously absent, and Honey Boo Boo herself couldn't be easily exploited if her parents were in a nasty breakup.
  • Love 3

Ditto.  I thought in crisis management you always wanted to communicate to your stake holders right away.  Even if it was a "we have been made aware of the allegations and are investigating this serious matter to determine....blah blah blah"

• Love 3
(edited)

Keeping track of Mama June's media campaign against TLC regarding the Duggars has really made reconsider my desire to see Honey Boo Boo again.  I really loved Honey Boo Boo and thought it was a great show that capture a certain class of people that is often rendered voiceless and while also used as punching bags in the media, politics and such.  They were poor, undereducated, had young single mom issues, government support  lifestyle.  I think a lot of people like to talk about these types of people but it was really rare that we'd get a chance to see and hear them.  And I think it was really important to see and hear this voice.  Yes, despite the unhealthy lifestyle, the gross fart and burp games and all that other stuff that made us uncomfortable.  They hammed it up for the cameras, but coming from a very poor rural area, I felt like I could have been watching any of my neighbors from childhood (though we had a lot more conservative christianism).

Mama June screwed up as a parent in a very bad way.  The way she's speaking makes it clear she doesn't get it.  She has been quoted saying something like "what I did wasn't that bad."  Um, no.  It was horrifying.  Child sexual abuse shouldn't be quantified.  She brought the man who molested her daughter back into her life.  She had this man around her other young daughter. There is photo evidence.  So before all this I kind of wanted Mama June back on my tv.  Every new comment she gives just makes me want to reach through the screen and punch her chins.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 9

I actually would give watching the  girls a try. I don't know if they would be boring or not, but I would give it a shot. I wouldn't watch heir parents.

That's the problem though, you know JB and Michelle would purpose to be present when the cameras were rolling.  Even though those girls are under someone else's headship, they're still Daddy Duggar's Daughters.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Imo just because something bad happened in their past doesn't mean they aren't Christians, I'm a Christian and I have a past ha know? And if I was given a tv show I think I'd no I know I'd tell the world my Christian views. It wouldn't be forcing you to believe my way but tbh I do think my way is the best, most people believe that or they wouldn't keep doing things their way. The duggar a never forced us to read the bible they simply said it like they believe, if the bible said kiss a frog of course they would say if you don't kiss the frog you will go to hell because they strongly believe in the bible that God has given us. This is just my humble opinion of course

Ps: I watched 1 honey boohoo and never watched again I can't stand that family and they made southerners like myself look really bad

Edited Bc I wrote nad not bad

Edited by MrsMommy
  • Love 2

Imo this is a Snarky thread, whenever I come here I don't expect to read anything good, so yeah I can see this thread saying the duggars are boring or fatigued, that's the dynamic here :( sadly. But if you read other places the duggars are loved and it shows they have a great support group in viewers

Imo just because something bad happened in their past doesn't mean they aren't Christians, I'm a Christian and I have a past ha know? And if I was given a tv show I think I'd no I know I'd tell the world my Christian views. It wouldn't be forcing you to believe my way but tbh I do think my way is the best, most people believe that or they wouldn't keep doing things their way. The duggar a never forced us to read the bible they simply said it like they believe, if the bible said kiss a frog of course they would say if you don't kiss the frog you will go to hell because they strongly believe in the bible that God has given us. This is just my humble opinion of course

Ps: I watched 1 honey boohoo and never watched again I can't stand that family and they made southerners like myself look really bad

Edited Bc I wrote nad not bad

Yes, we all did bad things. But the Duggars did a bad thing, swept in under the rug, and went on national television proclaiming how mighty and Christian they are.

The bible talked about how things that happen in the dark come to light, did the Duggars think they where above that? My answer is, yes.

But, I'm not here to tell you to stop watching the Duggars, I'm just here to say i won't.

• Love 24