Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I watched the Duggars because it was a way of showing some of the lighter parts of my Fundy past. But I lived through the darker parts first hand. I don't need or want to watch them on television, either being "worked out" or ignored. So for that reason, the show is done for me. And I'll miss it, and I bear them no malice. It's just that I watched for entertainment, and it can't do that for me anymore.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm was raised churchgoing and an american citizen, so I was never taught that God or the government put anyone above the law, and I think I must be missing some of the nuance in this discussion.

That said, I suspect it really comes down to what advertisers think TLC watchers who wouldn't dream of spending time on secular message boards are going to do if the Duggars are removed, and how parents who follow the family-friendly Discover brand are going to react if they stay.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

I understand why fans would want to follow the married kids on social media, they've followed them on tv so long and are invested. What is the hook for the tv show though? No gypsies, amish, multiples, little people..the missionary thing sounds interesting but I have doubts it would have much reality to it. (par for the course I guess haha)

• Love 3

I found it interesting... I was looking for some cheap new books to read on my kindle last night for an upcoming vacation and out of curiosity searched for the Duggar books. Then read the comments. I was surprised to read a review on the girls' book that said how they talk about much more "darker" topics (e.g., abortion) than their parents' books did. I think this is also easily seen on Jessa's social media accounts. She's very much more doom and gloom (or feels more comfortable coming off that way) than even her parents portray themselves! I couldn't imagine having a spin off show where Jessa spits condemning bible verses all day (on top of the fact that I also think there's no content there).

• Love 3

Jessa is a master plagiarizer. I'm not sure she has an original thought to call her own. She just shifted from being primarily from the Gothard school to being of one even more fatalistic, if not necessarily legalistic - Calvinism. 

Pity that fans of the Duggars don't even bother to learn this much about them, especially since they have had a weekly show since 2008. The Duggar/Seewald (not sure about Dillard) brands of Christianity are not best for ANYONE. They're extreme fundamentalist cults. 

• Love 14

Jessa is a master plagiarizer. I'm not sure she has an original thought to call her own. She just shifted from being primarily from the Gothard school to being of one even more fatalistic, if not necessarily legalistic - Calvinism.

Pity that fans of the Duggars don't even bother to learn this much about them, especially since they have had a weekly show since 2008. The Duggar/Seewald (not sure about Dillard) brands of Christianity are not best for ANYONE. They're extreme fundamentalist cults.

I've always seen the irony that we see so much in the media about the dangers of fundamentalist Islam, yet this fundamentalist Christian family is "wholesome" and "quirky". Fundamentalism is always people twisting religious writings to suit their own agenda.

And that Buzzfeed article is correct. I'm sure there may have been "responsible" sources that could have told the whole sordid, culty story and maybe some that wanted to. But media is unfortunately more corporate today and you can't risk jeopardizing those relationships. Which is sad.

• Love 16

I see the alive.org fest starts tomorrow, and Jill and Jessa are speakers one of the days. They dropped Josh, but haven't replied to any of my email. Will be interesting to hear their stump speeches.

The thing is, most people start off imitating other people's stands. That's completely normal. We tend to parrot the views of our parents, or the people we most admire, because we haven't seen or experienced enough of the world. But Jessa seems kind of stuck. I'm glad she's moved from her family to the Seewald sayings, as it does prove she can be taught. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure. It's not as though she's 15.

The thing is, most people start off imitating other people's stands. That's completely normal. We tend to parrot the views of our parents, or the people we most admire, because we haven't seen or experienced enough of the world. But Jessa seems kind of stuck. I'm glad she's moved from her family to the Seewald sayings, as it does prove she can be taught. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure. It's not as though she's 15.

Taking response to the Jessa/Ben thread.

Physically, she's not 15.  Mentally and emotionally?  Well, I wouldn't want to speculate, but I don't exactly see a whole lot of intellectual horsepower going on behind her artificially wide eyes, Gothard-approved adoration or not.  

• Love 7

CoolMom, so very sorry for your loss. And I think every parent suffers pangs of fear when hearing of the passing of another family's child. Sending you sympathy and hugs.

Thanks. 

They might be Christians, but they are also negligent parents and, I believe, need to be held accountable for that.

If everything we read in the media is true and correct not just about the molestation but also possible other abuse then they will be held accountable by God.  I know that's not the swift justice that we want to see in this generation but that is the belief system they hold. 

Honestly, I don't think they owed anyone their back story just because they were on TV.  They felt (right or wrong) that they had dealt with the issue and as a family moved forward.  They are accountable to their employers (TLC) if they were required to disclose "dark" secrets that might harm the franchise but otherwise they are only accountable to the law and God for the choices they made. 

• Love 2

I don't think they owed me anything other than entertainment. Which they no longer can provide for a variety of reasons, some of which are about them, some are about me. Either way, to quote the famous Queen Victoria line, "We are not amused."

• Love 5

I lose more respect for TLC (not that I had a lot to begin with) every day that passes without a firm statement about the Duggars and their future productions. I respected the Honey Boo Boo decision and how quickly it was reached. But this shit is just delaying the inevitable.

It's all about the money with TLC. Those who watched the ridiculous "interview" show might remember the producer (IIRC) being asked why he chose to broadcast Josie's BM; his response was (paraphrased): "Why wouldn't I?" Watching a little girl that's not toilet trained have an accident isn't my idea of entertaining. ANY other entity would realize it's time to pull the plug, but TLC must believe there's still money to be made from those who enjoy watching train wrecks (and the sponsors that don't mind having their brand associated with child molestation, for starters). One also has to wonder about the parents who are so desperate to retain their D list fame that they will allow things like Josie's accident to be shown on network television, but we already knew that the Duggars will do anything to make a buck.

I'm wondering if the mods would indulge my starting a pool on when the first 19KAC reruns will be on TLC's schedule. I"m betting it happens within the next two weeks.

• Love 5
(edited)

In many different threads we've discussed the Duggar influence, how it's about more than just a tv show. Their tv show gives them a platform to infiltrate the homes and lives of people who have zero interest in watching the show.  Case in point, Jill's latest instagram.  It has now been featured on nearly every gossip site (huge readerships!) and also given a blurb on a handful of 'legit' news sources.  Yeah, they aren't confined to just their show.  And this isn't just because of the scandal. This has been the reality for at least the past several years.  The Duggars everywhere, everything they say or post gets picked up.  An easy google will confirm this.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 5

On the other hand, that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the scandal. The scandal has brought them FAR more attention than their family size ever did. Americans love a good take down of a hypocrite type story, so this was a good one. But Americans also give second (and third...) chances, so I don't think they are down for the count by any means. Not even Josh, although it will take some time.

• Love 3
(edited)
that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the scandal.

True about Jill's instagram, but their influence wasn't confined to just the show even before the scandal. See: Josh's work with the FRC. And we've hashed out here that the reason everything unraveled in the first place was because someone was motivated to spill the beans after Michelle's robocall, which wasn't show-related at all.

I haven't watched 19 Kids in years because the whitewashing ticked me off too much, and I was still able to keep up with the Duggars because they were all over the media. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 7

True about Jill's instagram, but their influence wasn't confined to just the show even before the scandal. See: Josh's work with the FRC. And we've hashed out here that the reason everything unraveled in the first place was because someone was motivated to spill the beans after Michelle's robocall, which wasn't show-related at all.

It's not even really true about Jill's instagram.  When she was pregnant, every single new baby bump photo was picked up and circulated, discussed in every  gossip rag, and further discussed in a large number of legit news sources.  The scandal has turned it away from mostly fluff, to commenting on the scandal, but they are still infiltrating millions of homes without those millions having clicked their tv to TLC.  

• Love 3

On the other hand, that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the scandal. The scandal has brought them FAR more attention than their family size ever did. Americans love a good take down of a hypocrite type story, so this was a good one. But Americans also give second (and third...) chances, so I don't think they are down for the count by any means. Not even Josh, although it will take some time.

God, no.  *If* TLC doesn't take them back, they'll find another network and production company to work with.  They'll end up on WND or UP. 

(edited)

Nope. Not ever. Americans will forgive a great deal but they will never forgive child molestation.

Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 11

A month and a half ago, I would have said the same thing. The one aspect of this whole scandal that I find the most deeply shocking is the sheer numbers of people who think it's 'no big deal' and 'leave them alone, God forgave them so it doesn't matter.' I can't even begin to wrap my head around it, but there it is.

• Love 19

Nope. No ever. Americans will forgive a great deal but they will never forgive child molestation.

The response Josh Duggar has received after his return to social media has been overwhelmingly negative.  Anna's not quite as much, but still she's receiving the negative-by-association commentary.  I think if they were testing the waters, the Duggars have realized that Josh will not be forgiven by the wider public.  

• Love 8

I wonder if the same people who say 'It doesn't matter... God has forgiven' would feel 100% comfortable letting Josh babysit their kids? I wouldn't trust any of the Duggars around my pets let alone children.

I've asked several people that question and got a ponderous silence in response.

• Love 8

What major news sources other than PEOPLE picked up Jill's "news" about her baby bumps? I'm asking because I think they tried pretty hard to keep it controlled. PEOPLE pays. Legitimate news sources don't. Once the scandal broke and they became "news" then yeah, they were everywhere.

Or it could be that I just have a different interpretation of legitimate news source. (And I will be the first to admit some of the scandal mags can, and have, done legitimate muckraking news. But to me even that is different than saying some small town paper was reporting on Jill's baby bump, because I don't remember that.)

And if the public comes to believe Josh did not harm anyone once he grew up, then yes, he can and likely will have a comeback. It will take more effort from him than he's giving now, but right now his family has more to gain (TV Show) by his silence than he has personally to gain in the short term by doing a repentance tour. But at some point that dynamic will change.

• Love 1
(edited)

What major news sources other than PEOPLE picked up Jill's "news" about her baby bumps? I'm asking because I think they tried pretty hard to keep it controlled. PEOPLE pays. Legitimate news sources don't. Once the scandal broke and they became "news" then yeah, they were everywhere.

Or it could be that I just have a different interpretation of legitimate news source. (And I will be the first to admit some of the scandal mags can, and have, done legitimate muckraking news. But to me even that is different than saying some small town paper was reporting on Jill's baby bump, because I don't remember that.)

And if the public comes to believe Josh did not harm anyone once he grew up, then yes, he can and likely will have a comeback. It will take more effort from him than he's giving now, but right now his family has more to gain (TV Show) by his silence than he has personally to gain in the short term by doing a repentance tour. But at some point that dynamic will change.

I respectfully disagree. I've been racking my brain to think of ANYONE who ever rebounded from a child molestation scandal of a five year old Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 14

In case anyone is unsure about the coverage of Jill's baby bump (or her wedding or her courtship or whatever else has been documented on the show or her instagram), simply google "Jill baby bump".  Toggle through the pages, maybe just up to ten pages.  Be shocked how nearly every gossip rag covered the story, and perplexed that it was picked up by 'legit' news sources, even if presented as a mere fluff piece for the entertainment section.  

• Love 4

"Legitimate "   news networks and publications DO pay all the time.  They "license" photo's and get around it that way.  Casey Anthony and her parents have made huge amounts of money, as had Joran Van Der Sloot.  His going rate before the murder of Stephany Flores was $25,000.  For that you would get a couple of new photo's and a new version of what happened to Natalee. As soon as the wire transfer cleared, he would contact the network and recant.

• Love 3
If everything we read in the media is true and correct not just about the molestation but also possible other abuse then they will be held accountable by God.  I know that's not the swift justice that we want to see in this generation but that is the belief system they hold.

So...don't prosecute crime because God will judge? I just don't see it. You're applying a standard much differently to the Duggars than to the average pedophile or bank robber--has nothing to do with "this generation".

Just being "sorry" doesn't suffice, even though they are theoretically Christian (I kinda think Christ wouldn't be in the fan club either since they don't seem to be truly repentant for anything except losing their show and their bully pulpit). 

• Love 16

They Duggars aren't getting a second act. Their little kids are aging. No one cares about the adult kids, at least after the marriage and the birth of the first baby. Their superstar girls are duds as far as maintaining their own show. No one wants to be associated with molestation. The best they can hope for is cranking out a few specials, or a failed spinoff. It's over.

• Love 4

Nope. Not ever. Americans will forgive a great deal but they will never forgive child molestation.

I think speaking for yourself would be better, if you read their instagrams and fb you can see millions of Americans have done forgave them

I think speaking for yourself would be better, if you read their instagrams and fb you can see millions of Americans have done forgave them

Are the Duggars allowing any non-supportive comments on their Instagram & FB accounts?

• Love 12

So...don't prosecute crime because God will judge? I just don't see it. You're applying a standard much differently to the Duggars than to the average pedophile or bank robber--has nothing to do with "this generation".

Just being "sorry" doesn't suffice, even though they are theoretically Christian (I kinda think Christ wouldn't be in the fan club either since they don't seem to be truly repentant for anything except losing their show and their bully pulpit). 

Agreed...what if a victim/survivor did not believe in God? How do they feel any  sense of justice in that situation? 

• Love 8

I had been wondering if they hire someone to specifically monitor their accounts to ensure that only positive and slightly negative comments show up.  And let's be honest, even the 'negative' comments are actually supportive.  

• Love 5

Millions? Hundreds, maybe. Few thousand max. When I search Twitter for Duggar related posts (that can't be deleted by family and humpers) the tone is overwhelmingly negative.

Jill's wedding (top rated show ever) only drew around 4 million viewers. Average viewership was in the 2 million area. They lose even have of their average viewers and they're venturing into Honey Boo Boo numbers. Would people watch again? The faithful will and the looky-loos will watch one or two. But I don't see it being enough, especially if you consider the power offended viewer have on the most important segment....advertisers.

As to their influence beyond the show? I could wake up and see them on Today or GMA. Stop at the library and see "Growing Up Duggar" on the new releases shelf. Stop at the grocery store and see them on the cover of People. See a commercial for the show while watching a program on a Discovery sister channel. That's the insidious nature of pop culture. The little nudges throughout your day.

• Love 7
(edited)

Yes there are a few of those

Until they get around to deleting them. Let's also realize that their fanbase is comprised mainly of teenage girls. Girls who basically stick their fingers in their ears and cry, "I can't heeeeeear you!" to any criticism that may survive on a social media post for longer than five minutes. I don't think a lot of them really get the serious nature of what Josh did. They buy the "he was young; he made a mistake" bit hook, line, and sinker. I don't put a lot of value in what these people say. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 10
(edited)

Fair enough. I will never ever ( if I live to be a 100) forgive or forget the molestation of a 5 year old. Better?i won't even get into have done....

Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 16

You have no idea how much I hope you're right. But then I keeping thinking - this is America, where $$ trumps everything. Almost every time. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree, but I may be far more dense than I believed myself to be. I usually can get on the fence and see all around, but I can't see josh ever making a come-back of any kind. I just don't see it. I think the nearest he gets is some itty bitty cameo on specials about the "marrieds". I can forgive Josh, no prob. "bing!" Consider it done. (My kids would say NMP).

But to see him talk, even now in old clips, just makes my SKIN crawl. I believe he's done with that part of his life, but I don't want to SEE him any more. Its an unnecessary visual reminder that... Hey, that's the guy who...

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8