Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Vision Forum is the sect that Ben came from. Calvinist Reformed.

Right, but people are discussing the award as if the local community had given her Mother of the Year. Vision Forum isn't the local community, even if it has local adherents. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Video of one of Michelle’s MOTY awards: (I’d like to suggest looking up,  Doug Phillips Vision Forum if anyone isn’t  aware of him)

The leaving Eden podcast recently had an episode about VF. That man is utterly foul and disgusting. 

1 hour ago, lilwhitelion said:

I'm sure many in this snark community watch Jen, Fundie Fridays on YT.  She has a great episode about Vision Forum.

Oooooh I didn’t know about this!  Must watch!  

• Useful 3
On 12/11/2021 at 8:56 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

True. VF had a national following. Of course, their dear leader got caught with his pants down, and VF is now defunct. 😂

And of course he didn't just get caught with his pants down. He got caught grooming and trapping a young teenager who was part of his organization/church and who then worked in his household, helping out with his multiple kids.

And what he got caught doing was basically using her as a masturbation toy against her will night after night after night. So -- you know, essentially another SA thing that many would call pedophilia, since it started when she was 15 or so......Just a different version of Gothard, who also messed with young teens (although he also messed with women who weren't teens).....

This whole culture is mainly a bunch of men who've found a constitutionally protected way to use everybody in their purview for whatever personal purposes they have. 

Thank goodness for the young woman who called out creep Doug and brought this particular train to a stop. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
43 minutes ago, SMama said:

What is an IW? 

It's a browser mode that doesn't reveal your location to websites you visit. Some online publications won't let you read if you're using one -- or they'll only let you read a limited amount. But at many websites you can use them. 

The  option is generally offered in the list that's available at the upper right of your browser page -- the one that says something like "open new tab" or "open new window." The incognito/private option is usually right under the "new window" one. 

In Chrome, the new window is called "incognito"

In Microsoft Edge, it's "InPrivate"

In Firefox, it's "private"

In Opera (where it opens when you click the O in the upper left), it's "private" 

Etc. 

• Useful 10
25 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

It's a browser mode that doesn't reveal your location to websites you visit. Some online publications won't let you read if you're using one -- or they'll only let you read a limited amount. But at many websites you can use them. 

The  option is generally offered in the list that's available at the upper right of your browser page -- the one that says something like "open new tab" or "open new window." The incognito/private option is usually right under the "new window" one. 

In Opera (where it opens when you click the O in the upper left), it's "private" 

Etc. 

Thank you!

• Love 1

Please do not copy and paste full articles to the site; we do not want to violate other site's copyright's by pasting their intellectual property.

I know when I'm scrolling news sites, I pass on many articles because I have no idea who they're talking about. Especially People Magazine. So and so had a baby! Blank and Blank finally tied the knot! I'm going to guess, even with their millions of SM followers, the Duggars aren't that well known.

Or even if there's name recognition, folks still scroll on by. Personally, I've never read more than the headlines about the Kardashians and the Honey Boo Boo family.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Etc. 

Well, I consider(ed) myself a pretty darn good computer user. And here I am, learning something I never, ever knew! Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

Oh boy, I’m really looking forward to this docuseries on the IBLP!

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/duggars-documentary-investigative-series-amazon-lularich-1235142307/

“On the heels of Josh Duggar’s explosive criminal trial, the untitled project will expose shocking connections between some of reality television’s most famous large families and The Institute in Basic Life Principles, a controversial fundamentalist organization and homeschooling empire. In addition, prominent commentators, writers, and social media voices will explore the broader zeitgeist of reality television, social media, faith, fundamentalism, patriarchy, and power.”

please be sure to alert us when it is showing. i often miss things...

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I thought LulaRich was an excellent series. I hope they do as good a job with this one. I am SO looking forward to its release! Gotta illustrate this post appropriately with my favorite cute little watcher guy: 

Deer Popcorn GIF

The Duggars are done, I wonder how it will affect the Bates.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/duggars-documentary-investigative-series-amazon-lularich-1235142307/

“On the heels of Josh Duggar’s explosive criminal trial, the untitled project will expose shocking connections between some of reality television’s most famous large families and The Institute in Basic Life Principles, a controversial fundamentalist organization and homeschooling empire. In addition, prominent commentators, writers, and social media voices will explore the broader zeitgeist of reality television, social media, faith, fundamentalism, patriarchy, and power.”

Thank you for telling us. I'm looking forward to it also. As interesting as Josh's conviction is, my greatest curiosity is around IBLP and its effect on families. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

200.gif

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
Just now, emmawoodhouse said:

The Plaths? Yes, there was major scandal, but they weren't IBLP. I wonder what their angle will be?

I was actually wondering if they were IBLP. The documentarians may need to find another family. I submit the Spiveys for consideration. Or the Wallers. But my heart wants the Spiveys. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Lol maybe that’s how Jill RodPlexus will get on tv through the Plaths

It didn't work when she was leghumping the Duggars. 

eta I'm pretty sure Jill knows the Plaths via the Pearls. Now THAT is someone I wish would get investigated. Of course he's well-known in fundie snarker circles, but his "ministry" of abuse needs to be spread far and wide.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

No, the Plaths are run of the mill IFB. They are actually good friends of JillRod.

Nurie was a bridesmaid at the older Plath daughter’s wedding. Ethan, the oldest Plath son, has allegedly stated that Jill wanted to pair him with Nurie. Check out Ethan and Olivia Plath (his wife). No way Ethan was going to go for Nurie.

Edited by SMama
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Right. I read Ethan's post about Nurie. So glad Ethan slid out of Jill's grasp and is living a freer life now.

Was Jill aggressive on her approach? I have not read Ethan’s post. Do you have a link or could you provide context?

I have nothing against Nurie, but I understand Ethan taking a hard pass. BME and GWE are scary in laws. 

• Love 6
On 12/20/2021 at 1:28 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I also will have to wait for people to give a synopsis.  I cannot get my browser to cooperate.

When an incognito window doesn't work, try this:

copy the pertinent link, which in this case was:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-12-19/josh-duggar-trial-19-kids-and-counting-tlc

and then paste the copy  into the red search bar here:

http://archive.today/

which says "My url is alive and I want to archive its content" 

the article will then usually load after you hit enter. 😊

I use this whenever I hit a paywall. (so far, so good)  🤞 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

The producers of the LulaRich Documentary are working on a docuseries about IBLP, and they'll discuss the Duggars, Bates, and Plaths.

The filmmakers’ investigation into the Institute in Basic Life Principles and the Duggars will also focus on two other large reality TV families: the Plaths, of TLC’s “Welcome to Plathville,” and the Bates, of UpTV’s “Bringing Up Bates.”

Trying not to get my hopes up, but I'll be thrilled if this does to IBLP in general and those families in particular what it did to Lularoe.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Zella said:

Ugh hate we have to wait so long, but it looks promising. Per the article, it will focus on the Duggar, Plath, and Bates families. 

happy bill hader GIF

Uhhh huhhh

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Maybe you can help me out I was wondering if TLC knew that they were canceling the show and that is why they had the Easter show on going back to being the religious show that was the way their show started counting on first. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Why are they still referring to these now grown women as “girls?” One of my pet peeves. 

And this is BS - I do hope they all get the therapy they need, for as long as they need it, but I honestly don’t think they really want it OR plan on actually getting it. Wouldn’t they have done so before now?

“While the girls aren’t seeking lost wages, they are seeking enough money so that they can have a “life care plan” put together and get into therapy to recover from the emotional distress the scandal caused.

The Ashley can exclusive reveal that, during a Status Conference held back in April, one of the attorneys representing the Duggar girls stated that it was not even worth the trouble for the girls to seek lost wages, since they were paid so little for appearing on “19 Kids & Counting” and its spin-off Counting On.”

• Useful 3
  • Love 6