Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

What foes dismissed with prejudice mean?

They can’t refile the lawsuit, it’s the end of that road. If only JB had provided proper education and work training for his many dependent children. The real world is really going to suck for them.

• Useful 4
  • Love 15

Ah,  that was the lawsuit claiming the reality show was their income. You know, their ministry. 

No 16 million dollar payment. Poor Jim Bob! Literally.

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/judge-dismisses-duggar-sisters-invasion-004750245.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

This article is interesting because it claims that one of the Holt daughters wrote the letter outing Josh. I didn't ever know that part of it. 

From the above link:

"From approximately March of 2002 until March of 2003, the Plaintiffs were sexually abused by their brother, Joshua. He was 14 years old when the abuse began and 15 years old when it ended.

At the time of the abuse, the Plaintiffs ranged in age from 5 to 11 years old, "the document states. "Their parents, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, discovered the abuse but did not report it to the police or any state agency. Instead, they decided to keep it a secret and discipline Joshua privately."

"However, Jim Bob and Michelle had confided in their close friends Jim and Bobye Holt. "In 2003, the Holts' daughter, Kaeleigh, wrote a summary of what she had heard from her parents about the abuse in a letter to her favorite author.

Instead of mailing the letter, she placed it in a book, which she left on her bookshelf. There the secret remained until 2006, when Kaeleigh loaned the book to a friend and fellow church member," the document states." 

"Kaeleigh's friend found the letter and shared its contents with her parents. From that point on, the Duggars' family secret spread by word of mouth to the other members of their close-knit church community.

It is unknown exactly how many church members learned of the abuse, but the news caused factions to form within the church, and certain church members evidently disagreed with how the matter was being handled," the document continues."

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 9
14 hours ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/judge-dismisses-duggar-sisters-invasion-004750245.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

This article is interesting because it claims that one of the Holt daughters wrote the letter outing Josh. I didn't ever know that part of it. 

So that answers a question people from way back when had.  WHO wrote the letter that was put in a book.  The speculation back in the day was it was Jinger and someone found the book.  At least that is what I remember from a bazillion years ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

"From approximately March of 2002 until March of 2003, the Plaintiffs were sexually abused by their brother, Joshua. He was 14 years old when the abuse began and 15 years old when it ended.

Except that Bobye Holt testified it started when the Family Felon was actually 12. Which means JB & Michelle covered, lied, and enabled him for 20 years and would have done so forever if they could.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Except that Bobye Holt testified it started when the Family Felon was actually 12. Which means JB & Michelle covered, lied, and enabled him for 20 years and would have done so forever if they could.

I'm curious to what other outcomes would have come about if JB and M handled it differently?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm curious to what other outcomes would have come about if JB and M handled it differently?

Had they gotten proper counseling for their daughters, the therapist/s would have had to report the abuse to CPS. From there Josh may have gotten some treatment also.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Had they gotten proper counseling for their daughters, the therapist/s would have had to report the abuse to CPS. From there Josh may have gotten some treatment also.

Eventually DCF and law enforcement knew about it. No one mandated treatment then.

I also doubt therapy would have helped at all. The Felon seemed able to keep things legal until he couldn't any longer. I have no reason to think therapy would have changed anything.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, GeeGolly said:

I have no reason to think therapy would have changed anything.

We will never know.   That's just it.   

At the very least, this coming out AT THE TIME might have prevented a whole lot of other things, like the Duggars being held up at this large family to emulate because they had such wonderful, well-behaved kids who never got into trouble.   Then how much power would they have had to sweep this under the rug?   Maybe law enforcement would have looked around the rest of the cult and prevented some of the other things.

We will just never know how things might have been.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

We will never know.   That's just it.   

At the very least, this coming out AT THE TIME might have prevented a whole lot of other things, like the Duggars being held up at this large family to emulate because they had such wonderful, well-behaved kids who never got into trouble.   Then how much power would they have had to sweep this under the rug?   Maybe law enforcement would have looked around the rest of the cult and prevented some of the other things.

We will just never know how things might have been.

You're absolutely right, we will never know. However I'm basing my opinion on my experience as a therapist. Situations like the early Josh one are never black and white, rarely follow the same 'rule book', or turn out with everything smelling like roses.

I'm not following. It was known prior to 19 Kids. And what power do the Duggars have? Also, the Duggars don't belong to a cult in the sense that law enforcement could look into things - they belonged to a church. Fairly certain if a child commits a crime in one family, cops can't start investigating other families because they belong to the same church.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

One was that they intercepted some stranger who had driven up to Jill's house (sounded like kind of a nut job but that may have just been my take on it). Which reminded me that people in the public eye are vulnerable to loonies and stalkers.

And despite this, all of them, Including Jill, continued to post numerous pictures and videos of their kids all over social media. 

37 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

You're absolutely right, we will never know. However I'm basing my opinion on my experience as a therapist. Situations like the early Josh one are never black and white, rarely follow the same 'rule book', or turn out with everything smelling like roses.

I'm not following. It was known prior to 19 Kids. And what power do the Duggars have? Also, the Duggars don't belong to a cult in the sense that law enforcement could look into things - they belonged to a church. Fairly certain if a child commits a crime in one family, cops can't start investigating other families because they belong to the same church.

I absolutely get your points, but most cults also claim to be churches. Most are one and the same to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

And despite this, all of them, Including Jill, continued to post numerous pictures and videos of their kids all over social media. 

I absolutely get your points, but most cults also claim to be churches. Most are one and the same to me.

Right, I totally agree.

I wasn't clear, what I meant to convey is these are a bunch of independent churches and independent families spread throughout the US. Its not like Scientology where folks identify as Scientologists and their buildings have names on them or FLDS who live together in communities. Not all Fundy church members are Gothardites using Wisdom Booklets and/or using ATI for homeschooling. These Fundies switch churches more often than most, so their connections to each other are loose at best.

Just look how diverse many of the Fundy families we discuss are. JillR, the elder Seewalds, Cathy Dillard, the Voulos are not Gothardites, but the Bates, Duggars and Wallers are. So I think the leap from one criminal kid in one family, to law enforcement finding an abstract cult responsible for his crimes, is a rather big leap.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Right, I totally agree.

I wasn't clear, what I meant to convey is these are a bunch of independent churches and independent families spread throughout the US. Its not like Scientology where folks identify as Scientologists and their buildings have names on them or FLDS who live together in communities. Not all Fundy church members are Gothardites using Wisdom Booklets and/or using ATI for homeschooling. These Fundies switch churches more often than most, so their connections to each other are loose at best.

Just look how diverse many of the Fundy families we discuss are. JillR, the elder Seewalds, Cathy Dillard, the Voulos are not Gothardites, but the Bates, Duggars and Wallers are. So I think the leap from one criminal kid in one family, to law enforcement finding an abstract cult responsible for his crimes, is a rather big leap.

Definitely all of those people don’t follow exactly the same “rules,” but to me, are definitely part of the same overarching cult/religion. But you’re right, authorities aren’t going to go looking for a cult here to investigate.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, GeeGolly said:

Eventually DCF and law enforcement knew about it. No one mandated treatment then.

I also doubt therapy would have helped at all. The Felon seemed able to keep things legal until he couldn't any longer. I have no reason to think therapy would have changed anything.

I thought that DCF and law enforcement didn't do anything because, by the time they found out, the statute of limitations had expired.  Another good reason why crimes involving the abuse of minors should not be bound by the standard statute of limitations.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 14
21 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I thought that DCF and law enforcement didn't do anything because, by the time they found out, the statute of limitations had expired.

Yes that has always been my understanding, at least regarding the police. I think it is even mentioned in the police report, though it's been a while since I looked at it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I thought that DCF and law enforcement didn't do anything because, by the time they found out, the statute of limitations had expired.  Another good reason why crimes involving the abuse of minors should not be bound by the standard statute of limitations.

My comment was in response to receiving treatment and I mentioned law enforcement as a mandated reporter.

Many are hellbent on saying Josh would never have reoffended if the authorities were involved because then he would have received treatment. The authorities were involved, and Josh was not required to receive treatment. There's no statute of limitations on DCF involvement. They don't say, oh this happened years ago, so we'll just move on. They interviewed family members and did not see a current problem or a need for the offender to receive support.

I'm curious what you think would have happened if the cops were involved 3 years earlier when Josh was molesting the sisters or the statute hadn't run out? Around here if the cops were aware at the time, because Josh was a minor, the case likely would have been turned over to DCF and pending outcome and would have stayed with DCF if Josh 'cleaned up his act'. DCF likely would have required Josh temporarily be removed from the home - that happened. Josh would have been required to seek therapy - by Duggar standards he did. (DCF does not mandate who counsels kids in their care, nor can they interfere with religious freedom) Prior to reunification, DCF would have required JB & M to put safeguards in place - they did that. (the Duggars even installed cameras and located the girls bedroom by them - those are above what DCF would have required) If after a set period of time Josh did not reoffend, both the cops and DCF would have closed the case.

If the statute hadn't run out and if Josh was charged at all (big if), he would still have been treated as a minor at 18 because the offenses happened when he was a minor. He likely would have been put on probation for 1 - 3 years and required to seek counseling, and again if he didn't reoffend, the charges likely would have been dropped or the case would have been closed.

IMO, many hate JB & M so much, they like to imagine everything would be different if they handled it differently and Josh would have turned into an upstanding human as he aged into adulthood. In my neck of the woods that just wouldn't be true. I have clients who are survivors of childhood abuse. I have clients with DCF involvement. I have clients with law enforcement involvement. I've had offenders attend our PHP program for mental health treatment. I see, hear and indirectly experience how similar situations unfold and like I said, it wouldn't have changed much, at least not around here. And from many sexual offense stories that have made the news, many times young adults are given light sentences or none at all.

And actually during job my years ago, on a 24 hour voluntary inpatient unit, law enforcement were always trying to get us to do their jobs. They would ask us to add extra rules and oversight of our clients under their 'care' and we would refuse. Yet law enforcement still used our facility for treatment, even with our 'lax' rules. Criminal charges, consequences and treatment just aren't that black and white.

Again, I'm just sharing my opinion based on my reality and I don't think anything would have been much different, and I don't think if Josh was jailed or detained and received treatment, he would be anywhere different than he is now.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 7
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't think if Josh was jailed or detained and received treatment, he would be anywhere different than he is now.

I do agree with this. I think Josh has some really deeply engrained issues that transcend his upbringing. I doubt growing up in Duggar world helped, but I don't think he wouldn't have committed the same crimes with a more normal childhood or that interventions would have reformed him. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

I do agree with this. I think Josh has some really deeply engrained issues that transcend his upbringing. I doubt growing up in Duggar world helped, but I don't think he wouldn't have committed the same crimes with a more normal childhood or that interventions would have reformed him. 

I agree. The Felon is a disturbed individual. Its natural for folks to take comfort in finding reasons why some are screwed up, because it feels safer thinking that. But some folks are born genetically predisposed to issues. If Josh had grown up in a different family he still would have had problems as he shares many traits with other criminals, including serial killers.

• Useful 7
  • Love 10

As I've stated before, I for one never thought of the Duggars as a wholesome family nor did I see them as selling themselves as such on TV. I've always seen them as @Cinnabon often describes them - a family who are part of a cult. With that said, so far, 18 of the 19 kids have pretty much stayed out of trouble. Their development may be somewhat arrested and their education lacking, but there's plenty of very mature, well educated criminals in the world, just as there are successful 'undereducated' folks out there. The Duggar kidults and kids may have hateful beliefs, but so do many non-Fundy, non-cult members. I also agree that Josh, like many firstborns, was treated somewhat differently, for a time, than his siblings, but I'm also aware of identical twins studies that show nature is as strong, if not stronger than nurture. In other words, I don't see the Duggar family as so unique and special, and JB, M and Gothardism as so demented and powerful, to be solely responsible for creating the monster that is Josh.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10

Referencing part of Rootbeer's comment here above: I am of the opinion that Jim Bob and Michelle kept their $250,000 secret, A SECRET, so they could grift from the church and it's members. Why would a church waste their precious assets assisting a family that has a quarter of a million dollars in the bank? Certainly there were other honestly deserving families out there that needed the help and didn't get it because the Duggar parents were hoarding the kindness of the church and it's members. Another low-life thing to do IMO. Dishonest of them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
41 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Referencing part of Rootbeer's comment here above: I am of the opinion that Jim Bob and Michelle kept their $250,000 secret, A SECRET, so they could grift from the church and it's members. Why would a church waste their precious assets assisting a family that has a quarter of a million dollars in the bank? Certainly there were other honestly deserving families out there that needed the help and didn't get it because the Duggar parents were hoarding the kindness of the church and it's members. Another low-life thing to do IMO. Dishonest of them.

This may be true, but, remember, their fellow church members are people just like themselves.  They don't seem inclined to be charitable to anyone, but especially not to anyone who doesn't worship the correct Jesus.  If the church hadn't supported the Duggars, it doesn't necessarily follow that the money would've been given to a more deserving family.  For that matter, the church members might've been donating to the Duggars via the church to get a tax receipt and knew all along that JB had a nice bankroll for the campaign.  They could've figured that, by taking care of his kids for him, they were allowing him to devote that much more time and money to the campaign and they wanted him to win. That seems to be the sort of logic they use.

• Useful 6
  • Love 8

Oh JOsh was gonna Josh no matter who raised him.   But maybe, just maybe, if they hadn't swept it under the rug, Head Idiot doesn't run for Senate.  Josh doesn't get the FRC job.   And Anna doesn't get forced to marry "Prince Charming" and a whole host of other things.   What ifs ....

• Useful 5
  • Love 7

For anyone wondering what TLC (Trash, Litter and Caca) will air now that they've cut ties with the Duggs, they have a new show starting this month called Stuck. Doctors talk about cases they've had where they removed unusual things that got stuck in various places on patients' bodies. Yes, that's the whole plot, and it's actually called Stuck.

Stay classy, TLC. 

• LOL 14
3 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

For anyone wondering what TLC (Trash, Litter and Caca) will air now that they've cut ties with the Duggs, they have a new show starting this month called Stuck. Doctors talk about cases they've had where they removed unusual things that got stuck in various places on patients' bodies. Yes, that's the whole plot, and it's actually called Stuck.

Stay classy, TLC. 

I saw that show listed on the TLC onscreen guide and gave it a hard pass. I won't even repeat the title of Season 1 Episode 1 here. You can go look it up if you're curious (sex toy lost in bodily orifice).  I'm not super sensitive but it's just - gross. 

OTOH there's no Josh Duggar in it. 😂

• LOL 11
19 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I had bookmarked Pickles' facebook site and I notice now when I click on it, it doesn't come up.  Does anyone know if it's been removed?  It worked fine a couple of days ago.

Just tried it and I had no problems getting in.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I saw that show listed on the TLC onscreen guide and gave it a hard pass. I won't even repeat the title of Season 1 Episode 1 here. You can go look it up if you're curious (sex toy lost in bodily orifice).  I'm not super sensitive but it's just - gross. 

Umm I looked it up. Haha. 

I guess TLC ran out of ideas.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Stay classy, TLC. 

This is the same channel that aired show about a gay guy that was in a sexual relationship with his car.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, Jeeves said:

I once took an x-ray of a man with a battery powered sex toy completely embedded in his rectum.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, floridamom said:

It could be that the church did know about the Duggars' stash of money, but viewed it as an investment to further the Kingdom of God and bring America back to the ways of Jesus. He was running for political office, to be in a position to make change and have influence in making the state and eventually country follow the Christian ways of running a government. The church entity itself could get in hot water by donating money to the political campaign, but they wouldn't raise any eyebrows giving a big family some food. 

A related question though: do we know for certain that all of the $250k was solely earned by the Duggars? Is there proof documented somewhere ? I've wondered for years if there's a definite way to know how much, if any, campaign money was JB's and how much wasn't. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

It could be that the church did know about the Duggars' stash of money, but viewed it as an investment to further the Kingdom of God and bring America back to the ways of Jesus. He was running for political office, to be in a position to make change and have influence in making the state and eventually country follow the Christian ways of running a government. The church entity itself could get in hot water by donating money to the political campaign, but they wouldn't raise any eyebrows giving a big family some food. 

A related question though: do we know for certain that all of the $250k was solely earned by the Duggars? Is there proof documented somewhere ? I've wondered for years if there's a definite way to know how much, if any, campaign money was JB's and how much wasn't. 

Their Jesus and his ways must be a lot different than the one I was taught about growing up. 

• Love 13
On 2/25/2022 at 11:56 AM, Cinnabon said:

Their Jesus and his ways must be a lot different than the one I was taught about growing up. 

Their real Jesus and his ways are a lot different than the one they profess to believe. 

• Love 9

Not sure where to put this...

When TLC canceled 19 Kids amid the scandals, they gave the two outspoken survivors their own show (which eventually turned into Counting On). With Sister Wives, TLC gave the breakaway wife (who still appears on the show) her own online cooking show. This makes me wonder if any of the Duggar 17 have any deals in the works with TLC, or has TLC washed their hands of all things Duggar?

Something like Jana having an online decorating show.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Over on the WarnerMedia side, virtually everything in development is on hold until at least mid-April. (Which, frankly, isn't all that much different than usual, but I digress.) I assume things are similar over on the Discovery side. 

So if any deals are in the works, I don't think we'll hear about them for at least a month, if not longer. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

has TLC washed their hands of all things Duggar?

I think TLC is very done with them. 

Unless they can come up with a way to make money off their content. TLC doesn't have any scruples, so if there is an audience/profit to be made some form of the Duggars will return.

• Love 4
Just now, Nysha said:

Unless they can come up with a way to make money off their content. TLC doesn't have any scruples, so if there is an audience/profit to be made some form of the Duggars will return.

TLC has no scruples, but I also don't think they are stupid. They know the Duggars are radioactive, and no matter how innocuous the content is, the only thing people would talk about is how Josh was convicted of CSAM. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Not sure where to put this...

When TLC canceled 19 Kids amid the scandals, they gave the two outspoken survivors their own show (which eventually turned into Counting On). With Sister Wives, TLC gave the breakaway wife (who still appears on the show) her own online cooking show. This makes me wonder if any of the Duggar 17 have any deals in the works with TLC, or has TLC washed their hands of all things Duggar?

Something like Jana having an online decorating show.

Which sister wife has a cooking show?

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I think TLC is very done with them. 

I think this is probably true.

The only very minor thing that makes me wonder - and it's very minor - is that Discovery's streaming content is somewhat limited, and they could get the Duggars very cheaply right now. 

But even that low price might not be worth the hassle. 

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, SMama said:

Which sister wife has a cooking show?

Christine has an online cooking show. Its called a "show", but I really don't know what it is or what it will be.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2