Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

She says the reason is this ⬇️, which we all know is not true.

Her sister, Jill, and her cousin, Amy, are the only ones who praised her on her Instagram. Both of these women also came out against the ways Jim Bob and Michelle raised their children.

Jill has repeatedly said she believes in the way she was raised and is raising her boys in much the same way.

As I said, Lori is clueless. Jill may have left Gorhardism, but she still believes in shit like Instant Obedience. 

• Like 9
6 hours ago, leighdear said:

So there's still no REAL, factual information, nobody legitimately involved is talking and Netflix doesn't have any updated documentation or comments. 

To me, it sounds like the project was either scrapped totally or back-burnered, no matter how fervently people want to believe it's coming out soon. 

Right now, EVERYTHING IN THE ARTICLE IS SPECULATION. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/an-amazon-documentary-might-shed-light-on-the-duggar-family-s-secrets/ar-AA16zidX?

This is an Amazon project, not a Netflix project. 

And speaking as someone who has worked with Amazon Studio productions, I can say that the process is somewhat different than with other Hollywood studios/networks, if only because Amazon isn't just the producer; it is also the distributor/broadcaster/retailer for its productions. Because of this, Amazon Studios is not cagey when things are scrapped totally or backburnered, so I doubt either is happening here.

BUT, as with other Hollywood studio productions, everyone involved is under a major NDA, so will not be talking without direct authorization from Amazon - regardless of whether the show is in the initial stages, post production, or getting launched tomorrow.

In this particular case, I can think of at least two reasons why Amazon might be telling everyone to shut up for now:

1. They want to ensure that any "shocking reveals" are revealed just a few days before the launch of the show, to get people to tune in. (See, the recent example of Prince Harry, where "OMG DID YOU HEAR ABOUT" tidbits were released just before the Netflix documentary and then again just before the book release. Result: the Netflix documentary apparently got great numbers and the book is one of the most successful memoirs in recent history.) 

2. And they have to verify said "shocking reveals" prior to any promo campaign/launch of the show; I have no doubts that Amazon will be able to win any defamation lawsuit, but I also have no doubts that the company would like to avoid those, if possible.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, quarks said:

And speaking as someone who has worked with Amazon Studio productions, I can say that the process is somewhat different than with other Hollywood studios/networks, if only because Amazon isn't just the producer; it is also the distributor/broadcaster/retailer for its productions. Because of this, Amazon Studios is not cagey when things are scrapped totally or backburnered, so I doubt either is happening here.

Thanks for the info.  I had kind of forgotten about this project.  Here's hoping we won't have to wait too much longer.  Jim Bob will blow his stack, especially coming on the heels of Jinger's book.  

• Like 17
On 1/21/2023 at 11:29 AM, Meow Mix said:

Consider that the source is Lori Alexander.  I love how she just glosses over what the felon was up to while Jinger was growing up in this supposedly perfect home.

So I'm not the only one familiar with Lori Alexander. Sadly, you can't cast her off as some silly woman. She's truly dangerous.

And if you ask me, Ma and Pa Duggar deserve to be thrown under a fleet of buses. I definitely want to read Jinger's book. I hope my local library gets it.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

The People magazine with Jinger’s story is dated January 30th, and the main cover photo is Lisa Marie Presley. Jinger did manager to score a smaller picture in the upper left corner of the cover. 

ETA-I’m also going to add this the J&J thread as well just in case. 

Edited by sixlets
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

So I'm not the only one familiar with Lori Alexander. Sadly, you can't cast her off as some silly woman. She's truly dangerous.

And if you ask me, Ma and Pa Duggar deserve to be thrown under a fleet of buses. I definitely want to read Jinger's book. I hope my local library gets it.

Oh I agree, Lori is dangerous.  My comment was meant to say that I wasn't the least bit surprised that she weighed in and tried to paint the Duggar parents as paragons of virtue.  Sadly, I doubt Jinger is going to hold them accountable the way some would hope.  She just doesn't strike me as the type to burn everything down.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Meow Mix said:

Oh I agree, Lori is dangerous.  My comment was meant to say that I wasn't the least bit surprised that she weighed in and tried to paint the Duggar parents as paragons of virtue.  Sadly, I doubt Jinger is going to hold them accountable the way some would hope.  She just doesn't strike me as the type to burn everything down.

The Daily Kos has discovered Lori Alexander.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1/22/2148541/-Christianist-blogger-wags-finger-at-Jinger-Duggar-Vuolo-for-opening-up-about-her-abusive-childhood

• Love 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Lori is … something… 

Not good 

I used to read some of her stuff and listen to some of her videos.  She is truly awful and very abusive.  She has frequently given detailed accounts of how she would order her two year old to “pick up your toys” and when the toddle refused, Lori would remove her pants and whip her with a leather strap.  She explained that you must hit hard enough for the kid to scream, not just whimper.

Any parent would know that you don’t give a two year old a generic order like pick up your toys without getting on the floor and helping them, maybe make a game or song of it.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 11
  • Sad 10

I know nothing about Lori Alexander, but if she abused her child like that, I hope one day she gets thrown under the bus by the child(ren?) whose lives she tried to destroy! Whether they write a book or call the authorities on her, I don't care. I just want her to face consequences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

As has been explained before, check the numbers on the actual release date of the book.  Many systems show 1 during the pre-release stage.

My county has 10 libraries with a single copy of the book, and it shows it is already there.  Nobody has placed a hold on it.  I'm so proud.  Should I take it out and read it for the team?

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I think a lot of the hardcore fundies will have negative opinions about Jinger's book. Going against you parents is unacceptable for them. But the book is not aimed at them. It's for the ones wanting to leave Gothardism (or other similar cults) and the fundie lite crowd. 

I don't know how much she will go into details in her book about her new beliefs/church or if she names it, but I think the goal is to get readers interested in MacArthur. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

My county has 10 libraries with a single copy of the book, and it shows it is already there.  Nobody has placed a hold on it.  I'm so proud.  Should I take it out and read it for the team?

Mine shows 1 copy, 59 holds.

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, YupItsMe said:

Mine shows 1 copy, 59 holds.

Do you have many fundies in your area?  There are not that many of them in Minnesota.  Most of the church-going crowd stick to the mainstream churches, particularly Catholic or Lutheran.  When Lutherans disagree they just form a different synod.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Reporting for duty from AR--we have neither Vuolo book at the library where I work. We do have 2 of the old Duggar books in the system, but I've only ever personally seen them circ a couple of times with my own eyes. 

Actually I just logged into our system out of nosiness from home, and neither book has circulated in the 2+ years we've had our current ILS. 

I'd actually be surprised if we purchased Jinger's book. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

San Diego County does have some fundies, but not a lot of interest.  11 holds and one of them is me.  I'm not paying for a Jinger book either.  I read her Hope one and it wasn't bad for what it was, but wasn't worth money to me.

• Useful 2

Yikes, I discovered I jumped the gun on this book.  I'm glad I decided to check on my hold, and found it was on Growing up Duggar so I cancelled it immediately.  No wonder it wasn't more popular, and although they have 3 copies of The Hope We Hold, no one has currently borrowed.  The new book isn't listed.

• LOL 4
2 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Yikes, I discovered I jumped the gun on this book.  I'm glad I decided to check on my hold, and found it was on Growing up Duggar so I cancelled it immediately.  No wonder it wasn't more popular, and although they have 3 copies of The Hope We Hold, no one has currently borrowed.  The new book isn't listed.

The book doesn't come out until next Tuesday the 31st.  Most libraries do not have the book yet, so they do not have it in their catalog yet.  There are a few libraries that will put books into their catalog before release, but not all do this.  At my library, we wait until we have the book before entering it in.  The supply chain with books and library books in particular has been hanging on by a thread for 3 years now.  We order books and hope we will get them near publication date, but cannot guarantee it.  We find it easier to wait than have to deal with upset patrons who cannot understand why the book they want to read has been processing for 2+ weeks (and available for purchase at Barnes and Noble or Amazon).

The holds data others are talking about is the ebook through Overdrive/Libby.  When we pre-order ebooks on Overdrive, patrons can place holds before release.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

I usually frequent my old county library system rather than face the monster Hennepin County library, but I checked on them.  I guess many people want to read this in the Mpls area

On order View detailsView details for Becoming Free Indeed : My Story of Disentangling Faith From Fear, Book, 
Holds: 93 on 3 copies

Downloadable Audiobook, 2023. Language: EnglishAll copies in use
Holds: 90 on 1 copy

eBook, 2023. Language: EnglishAll copies in use
Holds: 88 on 1 copy

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
17 hours ago, Zella said:

Reporting for duty from AR--we have neither Vuolo book at the library where I work. We do have 2 of the old Duggar books in the system, but I've only ever personally seen them circ a couple of times with my own eyes. 

Actually I just logged into our system out of nosiness from home, and neither book has circulated in the 2+ years we've had our current ILS. 

I'd actually be surprised if we purchased Jinger's book. 

Also in AR but nowhere near the Duggars. There are over 60 holds for the one copy in our system. 

• Like 2

Ottawa here, we have 3 Duggar books in our system but not this one.  I don't know if it will show up or not.  I guess it will depend on if they get enough requests.  I don't think there is much interest in the Duggars here.  Maybe a tell all that really does tell all.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Ottawa here, we have 3 Duggar books in our system but not this one.  I don't know if it will show up or not.  I guess it will depend on if they get enough requests.  I don't think there is much interest in the Duggars here.  Maybe a tell all that really does tell all.

I’m still embarrassed that my area (Seattle) now has 137 holds on one copy of Free.

edited to add that Seattle has been considered largely “unchurched “.

Edited by louannems
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
39 minutes ago, louannems said:

I’m still embarrassed that my area (Seattle) now has 137 holds on one copy of Free.

edited to add that Seattle has been considered largely “unchurched “.

This is all on the marketing team at Thomas Nelson.  They are pushing the idea that this is going to be the Duggar tell-all we've all been hoping for instead of Jinger's milquetoast story of her going from Gothard to Calvinism.  Honestly, they timed this release right with the public wanting more stories like Prince Harry Spare and Jeanette McCurdy's I'm Glad My Mom Died.  Memoirs are hot right now.  This will sell well next week, but it's not going to be hanging around on any bestseller list after that.  Once people find out there's no there there, it's over.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2023 at 5:29 PM, BetyBee said:

I know nothing about Lori Alexander, but if she abused her child like that, I hope one day she gets thrown under the bus by the child(ren?) whose lives she tried to destroy! Whether they write a book or call the authorities on her, I don't care. I just want her to face consequences.

"God" has given Lori a brain tumer. Twice. How she doesn't see that as a "sign" is another layer of delusion. 

She is a vile human being. She can't help herself. 

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

"God" has given Lori a brain tumer. Twice. How she doesn't see that as a "sign" is another layer of delusion. 

She is a vile human being. She can't help herself. 

And I’m sure she didn’t stay home and just trust her imaginary sky daddy to cure her. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1