Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mimionthebeach said:

"God" has given Lori a brain tumer. Twice. How she doesn't see that as a "sign" is another layer of delusion. 

She is a vile human being. She can't help herself. 

She is also very anti-vac and got Covid and shingles at the same time.

On-topic: Did anyone see the Jinger interview on Good Morning America this morning?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Actually, she did. Her tumor was benign, and IIRC, she claimed her diet shrunk it. 

She lied.  She went to UCI hospital for specialized tumor treatment.  She probably did her woo stuff in addition.

Edited by Absolom
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:

She is also very anti-vac and got Covid and shingles at the same time.

Ha, one could interpret that as a message from God.  "I sent you medical expertise with vaccines, and you didn't pay attention.

Yes, about Jinger's appearance on GMA, a link posted earlier on the Jinger/Jeremy topic.

• Like 3
On 1/24/2023 at 3:42 PM, louannems said:

I used to read some of her stuff and listen to some of her videos.  She is truly awful and very abusive.  She has frequently given detailed accounts of how she would order her two year old to “pick up your toys” and when the toddle refused, Lori would remove her pants and whip her with a leather strap.  She explained that you must hit hard enough for the kid to scream, not just whimper.

Any parent would know that you don’t give a two year old a generic order like pick up your toys without getting on the floor and helping them, maybe make a game or song of it.

I think that's kind of the point -- at least that's the Pearl method. You bait the child into doing/not doing something, and then beat him/her for doing/not doing what you encouraged.

In this case, you give a young child a task that he may not be able to fully understand or perform, and them beat him for failing to complete it. And, of course, the more vicious and psychotic the beating, the more "Biblical" it is (e.g. making a 2-year-old scream vs whimper).

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 19
24 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Has anyone seen updates about the documentary about Gothardism that was announced awhile back? I think Amazon was supposed to be involved...? Just shortly after it was announced, the Bates' show was cancelled.

I only found this: (but it's from Jan. 7, 2022) 

"  Variety recently announced that Amazon Studios is producing a docuseries on the religious organization that counts the Duggars among its members, as well as other reality-TV families, like the Plaths ("Welcome to Plathville") and Bates ("Bringing Up Bates"). The series, which will debut in late 2022 or 2023, promises to do for the Duggars' church what "LuLaRich" did for the LuLaRoe multilevel marketing company: expose the shadier side of a seemingly wholesome lifestyle."

https://www.thelist.com/719485/this-new-amazon-documentary-could-be-the-lularich-of-the-duggar-family/

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

This is the official press release from Amazon:

https://press.amazonstudios.com/us/en/press-release/gripping-new-docuseries-coming-to-prime-video-show

That press release noted that the docuseries was already in production (which means that cameras were rolling by December 2021) but did not give a release date; the "late 2022 or 2023" timeframe is an addition from Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, presumably backed up by some reporting.

• Useful 5

IMO if The Hollywood Reporter has anything on it, they likely had some reliable information on it being in production at the time. (Of course, who knows what's happened since then. Maybe it shuttered or maybe they've just been working quietly.) But THR is considered a long-standing trade paper of the industry. Not that I actually know anything about Hollywood firsthand, but I've noticed just from following entertainment news that they do often run a lot of legitimate inside scoops and have deep-dives on industry issues. 

Also fun random fact: the guy who founded it is the same guy who Bugsy Siegel infamously stole the Flamingo Hotel from in Las Vegas! Obviously the paper worked out better. LOL 

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 3
21 hours ago, quarks said:

Deadline has it listed under 2023 TBA shows, a list which also confirms that we still don't have an official release date for Animaniacs or The Crown yet.

Full list here:

https://deadline.com/feature/2023-tv-premiere-dates-streaming-cable-broadcast-new-series-returning-series-1235138890/

Does R.E.M. know that they are using the name of one of their songs, which incidentally is from the same album as "Losing My Religion"?

• Like 8
21 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Does R.E.M. know that they are using the name of one of their songs, which incidentally is from the same album as "Losing My Religion"?

That’s the first thing I thought about. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I have no idea what R.E.M. knows or doesn't know, but as Gemma Violet notes, R.E.M. didn't originate the term/phrase And this documentary isn't the first to use the title - it's also the name of an episode in the fourth season of Angel, very definitely in reference to the song.

It's also a fairly safe bet that the name was cleared through Amazon's attorneys. And since "Shiny Happy People" doesn't seem to be trademarked (by R.E.M. or by Amazon), I'm guessing it falls under fair use. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

According to cafemom:  Amazon's Upcoming Docuseries on the Duggars Will Expose Shocking Details About the Family

https://cafemom.com/entertainment/amazon-docuseries-duggars-shocking

It says it will be previewed this coming Thursday by the press.  I'm anxious to hear if anything new comes out.

If you read the entire article, it admits that most of us know the details.  It’s the casual viewer that will learn ‘shocking  details’.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 6
  • Useful 4

So, I am curious how much the IBLP will play into this? And why dump the Bateses just to focus on the Duggars? The Bateses are cult power brokers. Gil is still on the board and making speeches at Family Camp. I'd have enjoyed watching them get ripped apart.

• Like 15
  • Useful 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, quickjessie said:

How does this family keep getting on TV???

In this very specific case, Amazon Studios has been looking for some cheaper projects to fill the gaps between their high profile, very expensive shows like Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power.

Edited by quarks
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Is the upcoming TBA series about the Duggars the same one that was supposed to be about IBLP/the famous fundie families? Or is that a separate series? 

The same. It looks like production pivoted at some point to point the lens specifically on the Duggars. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I wonder if this series has anything to do with the Bates cancellation.  There has to be some explanation.

There was no mention of the Bateses in the article. It appears that the focus will be on the Duggars. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
24 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I wonder if this series has anything to do with the Bates cancellation.  There has to be some explanation.

I don't even follow the Bateses and I still wonder what was up with that. Their messaging around it was very weird. I got some real mutually assured destruction vibes between them and the channel. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't even follow the Bateses and I still wonder what was up with that. Their messaging around it was very weird. I got some real mutually assured destruction vibes between them and the channel. 

UP had an entire season in the can. IIRC, they cancelled no more than two weeks out from the season premiere. No explanation was ever given from either UP or the Bateses. There was the "George Floyd" video, but UP was filming that game of charades, so I assume they saw Carlin filming. If not, and they only found out when Carlin released the video, it could have been a big part of the reason. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 7
  • Useful 3
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

UP had an entire season in the can. IIRC, they cancelled no more than two weeks out from the season premiere. No explanation was ever given from either UP or the Bateses. There was the "George Floyd" video, but UP was filming that game of charades, so I assume they saw Carlin filming. If not, and they only found out when Carlin released the video, it could have been a big part of the reason. 

Yep and the family's comments were not at all ones of surprise or displeasure with being cancelled so suddenly and with a full season canned. It's just weird. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yep and the family's comments were not at all ones of surprise or displeasure with being cancelled so suddenly and with a full season canned. It's just weird. 

Yeah, they really played it off as if it was NBD. You know Gil was seething. That show got him out of the poorhouse, and several daughters called BUB "Dad's show." That was the reason Whitney changed from jeans to a skirt to film at Papa Bill's farm and other pants wearing daughters were only filmed in skirts. Gil ran the show. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The documentary was originally going to focus on the IBLP with mention of the Duggars (and possibly Bateses? I don't recall). Today's article reveals why there was such a delay in the release. 

Damn. I really wanted to see the Bates dragged.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
(edited)

Now that time has passed and this documentary is actually real, I wonder if UP cancelled the Bates due to both the George Floyd remark and the (potential) documentary.

The Bates family had skated along with a lot of low key racism, but UP seemed to think Kelly having a Black sister countered that. Both TLC and UP knew the Bates and Duggars skated along with little sprigs of IBLP patriarchy and 'spare the rod' parenting popping up, but a lot of viewers didn't seem to care or notice. A documentary saying the quiet parts aloud certainly would not be wanted.

I wonder if UP new the documentary was really happening and was concerned it would air during the cancelled season and combined with Carlin's George Floyd post it would be too much drama to downplay.

And wow, it sucks the documentary is basically a Duggar clickbait show and not a real exposé about IBLP and IFBs in general. IMO, the producers went for money rather than exposing the horrors behind the curtain.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 8

I wonder if the documentary slant will be about a family who are victims of a cult or a family who assisted in running a cult. IMO, the Duggar and Bates families are really victims. Not saying they remained innocent victims, especially at this point, but victims none the less.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, quickjessie said:

How does this family keep getting on TV???

Why do we still keep getting documentaries on Jeffrey Dahmer, Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Manson?

People still want all the horrifying details. 

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if the documentary slant will be about a family who are victims of a cult or a family who assisted in running a cult. IMO, the Duggar and Bates families are really victims. Not saying they remained innocent victims, especially at this point, but victims none the less.

Respectfully, I disagree that the families as a whole were victims. The children were victims of their parents' upbringing certainly, but I don't view the adults who bought into and enforced this lifestyle as victims. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And wow, it sucks the documentary is basically a Duggar clickbait show and not a real exposé about IBLP and IFBs in general. IMO, the producers went for money rather than exposing the horrors behind the curtain.

That's how I feel too.  It seems they focused on just making "content": a cheap and easily put together product for consumption, rather than anything deeper than surface level. I'd been looking forward to this when it was supposed to be about IBLP as a whole and examining what led it its creation, the man-made rules, the downfall of its creator, and its impact on culture as a whole. etc. Instead, it seems this "documentary" will be on the level of trashy tabloid articles and headlines. Disappointing.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Respectfully, I disagree that the families as a whole were victims. The children were victims of their parents' upbringing certainly, but I don't view the adults who bought into and enforced this lifestyle as victims. 

I totally understand and respect your opinion.

I just see the Duggar and Bates parents falling prey to Gothard's snake oil. I believe when they started with him the families thought they found the magic pill to raise God's wholesome army while saving souls.

My question is how hard did they fall and when they became more exposed to the real world did they make a conscious choice to remain with IBLP or are they too far gone to really think they're in a cult?

As far as Michelle and Kelly, I think Michelle is too far gone and Kelly is choosing to remain. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 2