Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

It's a bit rich coming from GRRM, though, who seems to have little intention of ever finishing the work that he got so many people to buy into. But then, he's also said that if he dies before it's done, he won't allow any other writer to complete it,

Yeah George has . . . issues. But I can read his explanation of why he doesn't like fanfiction and understand where he's coming from. 

I personally am not into fanfiction, so I am more inclined to agree with the authors who don't like it than the ones who are fine with it. 

But Gabaldon's meltdown was just beyond the pale. If anything, it made me more pro fanfiction. LOL

• Love 5

So they don't like that their works inspired people to be creative and play in the worlds they created? Or fostering new communities of friends? I can understand not wanting people to make money off your intellectual property, but get a grip. 

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I personally am not into fanfiction, so I am more inclined to agree with the authors who don't like it than the ones who are fine with it. 

I love writing fanfiction but hate reading other peoples so I'm conflicted. lol 

I think the real issue is, if it's true that Outlander is basically FF of Doctor Who, then we've got 50 Shades which is FF of Twilight, and I am sure there are many others (I know at least a couple more but can't think of them because they are not books I'd read or really heard of other than the FF angle), I can get why an author would be pissed at someone changing just enough of their story to sell it as their own. That is forked up. 

But my level of FF is just that certain characters get stuck in my head and live out entire lives apart from the origin story and sometimes I write it out because I think it might be interesting to others. But, as I'm sure these authors fear, sometimes it's because I think they forked up their own story and I could do it better, so yeah, I can see why that might piss someone off. lol

Way back when I was a kid, before "fanfiction" was a thing, my sad, friendless, only child self was constantly doing fanfiction just not writing it down. There are always different stories going on in my head. I am an active tv watcher. I never just sit and watch what is in front of me, I am always concocting back stories and what ifs, if I am watching something I enjoy that is. 

• Love 14
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Way back when I was a kid, before "fanfiction" was a thing, my sad, friendless, only child self was constantly doing fanfiction just not writing it down. There are always different stories going on in my head. I am an active tv watcher. I never just sit and watch what is in front of me, I am always concocting back stories and what ifs, if I am watching something I enjoy that is. 

I actually developed a softer view of fanfiction after I realized this is the appeal for a lot of people. I constantly do this--I just never write it down! LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

But my level of FF is just that certain characters get stuck in my head and live out entire lives apart from the origin story and sometimes I write it out because I think it might be interesting to others. But, as I'm sure these authors fear, sometimes it's because I think they forked up their own story and I could do it better, so yeah, I can see why that might piss someone off. lol

I was the same way with creating fics as a kid, except in my case, I did write them down. I had notebooks full of little stories involving characters from shows and movies I watched, and some of the stories from when I was really young involved my attempt at drawing the characters as well :p.. It wasn't until I was a teenager and poking about online back when the internet was becoming more of a thing that I discovered that others did the same thing and posted them at various places :D. 

But yeah, I like writing fic just 'cause I enjoy the world and the characters of whatever I'm into and want to spend more time with them. I mainly like to explore and expand on stuff that wasn't touched on in canon. And I don't mean that in a negative way, either-I know that there's only so much time a lot of shows and movies and such have to focus on the main story, so it's natural there's some parts that won't get as much focus and attention as a result. I get that. Just that since the canon wasn't able to do so for whatever reason, then I'm happy to do so on my own time, and imagine what else might've happened off screen,

I also like to explore the dynamics and relationships between the characters further (and yes, sometimes that involves writing about my favorite pairings as well, canon or non-canon ;)). Like others have said, I get why some authors might be a little hesitant about fanfiction, may not fully understand it, and I too respect that stance.

But yeah, most fic authors don't mean any harm by getting involved in writing fic. It's just another fun way for them to engage with their favorite shows and books and movies :). Personally, if I were to publish something that inspired fanfiction, I'd be totally fine with it (it'd be rather hypocritical of me if I weren't, after all :p). I just wouldn't want anyone to send it to me to read. Not because I wouldn't want to read it-I can't deny I'd be a little curious to see what my works would've inspired :D. But I'd just feel like I'd be hovering over something that fans should get to enjoy on their own time, away from my eyes, you know? And I wouldn't want them to feel like I was scrutinizing or criticizing their stories, or giving any sign of favoritism to certain fic authors, or whatever. 

Plus, I know there's also the legal issues involved-no creator wants to deal with the headache of some fan being like, "I came up with that idea first, they stole it from me!" So there's that to consider as well. 

I do agree that making money off of fic is wrong, though. If the laws ever change in that regard someday and it becomes okay, then fine, whatever, but I just think there's far too much potential for things to get really messy in that regard. If I want to make money from my writing, I'll do it with my original stories, not with someone else's property. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Neil Gaiman won a Hugo Award for a piece of Sherlock Holmes/H. P. Lovecraft fanfiction. Dante’s Inferno was a self-insert Bible fanfic and we consider that a literary classic. The Aeneid is fanfic of The Iliad. The entire body of Arthurian literature (including all the films and TV shows) is fanfiction of Welsh mythology. Basically, most literature is inspired by something else, to a greater or lesser degree. So are most TV shows, for that matter!

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

I think it's entire possible that Miss Galaldon and other original authors who protest the existence of fanfiction do so because they hate that there are folks out there who actually are more creative, imaginative and/or respectful of the original characters' integrity than they themselves have proven to be. If they feel so strongly about a medium in which the participants recognize the original authors, production companies,etc. authorship, copyright and ownership and disavow from potentially profiting in any way, it sure seems a case of being angry others' thought of things that literally didn't occur to them if not  protesting too much 

To keep this ontopic, I dislike how after the addition of Elmo, Sesame Street virtually completely derailed its concept of a neighborhood of characters somewhat based on reality interacting with each other while learning from each other. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

It's a bit rich coming from GRRM, though, who seems to have little intention of ever finishing the work that he got so many people to buy into.

And thus the last few seasons of the show are basically fanfic.  (With a little bit of guidance.)

2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Dante’s Inferno was a self-insert Bible fanfic

This made me laugh.

• Love 6

If you look at the movies, Clueless is the modern day telling of Emma.  Shakespeare is used as inspiration, but he used other authors’ plot lines as his inspiration all the time as well.  As Llywela says, people have been borrowing from novels forever, and some absolutely make money off it.

I love well written fanfiction, sometimes more than the original.

• Love 16

I'd never heard that Outlander started as Dr. Who fan fic but back in the 1960s, the Doctor had a Scottish companion from the 18th century named Jamie.

@Llywela, excellent point. Fan fiction has always been "a thing". The fixation on the author as a singular genius and the spread of copyright are very recent constructs in terms of human history.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I'd never heard that Outlander started as Dr. Who fan fic but back in the 1960s, the Doctor had a Scottish companion from the 18th century named Jamie.

@Llywela, excellent point. Fan fiction has always been "a thing". The fixation on the author as a singular genius and the spread of copyright are very recent constructs in terms of human history.

Yeah, go back far enough, and there was no such thing as 'literature', only oral re-tellings of age-old myths, altered and adapted as they spread, so that no one ever even knew how or where they started, never mind who first told the story.

I'd never heard that about Outlander either. I can see where the 2nd Doctor's visit to Jacobean Scotland could have inspired it, but Gabaldon for sure gave the concept a very different spin!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I think it's entire possible that Miss Galaldon and other original authors who protest the existence of fanfiction do so because they hate that there are folks out there who actually are more creative, imaginative and/or respectful of the original characters' integrity than they themselves have proven to be.

That screamed out to me. Doth protest too much. 

2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

If you look at the movies, Clueless is the modern day telling of Emma.

Wasn't 10 Things I Hate About You also from Shakespeare?

Now I'm wondering if Claire is supposed to be the Doctor then? Which? 

I find the authors' overall derision is condescending and arrogant tbh, outside of the discussion about their intellectual property. Especially when you've got tons of examples of how it's helped people find community, etc. And they are making money off these people. 

Ironically, in the Tenth Doctor's run they did an episode about a bunch of people who found one another because of their brief interactions with Ten. They formed a little a band and got together for cookouts or something.  

• Love 7
(edited)
28 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Now I'm wondering if Claire is supposed to be the Doctor then? Which? 

There is a classic Doctor Who serial in which the Second Doctor and his companions Ben and Polly visit Jacobean Scotland. They land in an active war zone, have an adventure there, save the day, and then leave taking Highlander Jamie with them as a new companion. Having seen that adventure (ETA - well, a reconstruction and novelisation thereof), I suspect Gabaldon a) really liked Jamie, and b) looked at Polly's story - a bright young woman from the Swinging Sixties having great fun making friends and running rings around a bunch of English officers in 1740s Scotland - thought to herself, 'I bet if a 20th century woman really did go back in time to the 1740s she'd have a tougher time of it', and then took the concept from there.

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/22/2021 at 8:45 PM, janie jones said:

That's how I feel about Jennifer Aniston (aside from the Oscar, but she does have some awards).

I used to not care for Aniston either, but seeing her in the movie The Good Girl changed that.  It’s a VERY good movie IMO and she did an awesome job.  The entire cast is great.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I used to not care for Aniston either, but seeing her in the movie The Good Girl changed that.  It’s a VERY good movie IMO and she did an awesome job.  The entire cast is great.  

Agreed.  I always liked her fine even though I was never a Friends person.  But generally speaking I thought JA's role choices and acting was fine.  I especially liked her in Horrible Bosses,  You could tell she was having so much fun in that role.

• Love 6
On 4/24/2021 at 12:38 AM, RealHousewife said:

I think she's a good actress, I like her as a person based on the interviews I've seen of hers too. I could be wrong, but my impression is people don't like that she is a woman with opinions. 

That could be part of it, but I’ve also heard from more than a few people that she’s hard to work with on set. The Sklar Brothers, two of the nicest guys on the planet, guest-starred on Grays, and while they’ve never directly bad-mouthed her, the have implied several times that they had a great time with every cast member except her. 

That being said, there are plenty of male actors that are tough to work with, but they don’t get villainized the way Heigl did.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Alright, this is an incredibly unpopular opinion in the UK, but might not register in any other country - Line of Duty is such a chore to watch.

It's an absolute sensation in the UK and has been since it first started six or seven years ago, but it's so serious and po-faced, with no sense of joy at all. The characters are all so robotic and driven by their noble duty to find "bent coppers" that they have no real personalities at all. The show is utterly dry, but the writing isn't good enough to make it work.

And on top of that, more police officers are killed in a single six episode season of that show than have been killed in the UK in the last decade. Which shouldn't be too surprising, as it seems every police officer except our intrepid heroes is corrupt and in the thrall of organised crime gangs.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 5/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, topanga said:

That could be part of it, but I’ve also heard from more than a few people that she’s hard to work with on set. The Sklar Brothers, two of the nicest guys on the planet, guest-starred on Grays, and while they’ve never directly bad-mouthed her, the have implied several times that they had a great time with every cast member except her. 

That being said, there are plenty of male actors that are tough to work with, but they don’t get villainized the way Heigl did.  

I see. If they're super nice men, they probably have valid reasons for not enjoying her. It's classy of them to not directly bad mouth. 

I've noticed that too. Maybe Ellen is a huge asshole and deserves to be canceled, IDK. But are there men who get into loads of controversy over . . . not being nice? At the top of my head, they've usually raped, harassed, committed a crime, at the very least said extremely offensive things. It seems like for a woman, you have to be a total sweetheart, whereas for a man, you just can't be a total dick. Now I've noticed the attitude shift somewhat recently, and I also hate when women are infantilized and men are demonized.  

• Love 3

Not sure if this counts but, I can’t stand the main actress of bridgerton (however it is spelled). There’s just something really weird about her face, especially her lips. The upper lip looks like a moustache. 

That’s a big reason why I never even tried to watch the show, apart from the fact that it looked like a terrible parody of some sort from the trailer.

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I see. If they're super nice men, they probably have valid reasons for not enjoying her. It's classy of them to not directly bad mouth. 

I've noticed that too. Maybe Ellen is a huge asshole and deserves to be canceled, IDK. But are there men who get into loads of controversy over . . . not being nice? At the top of my head, they've usually raped, harassed, committed a crime, at the very least said extremely offensive things. It seems like for a woman, you have to be a total sweetheart, whereas for a man, you just can't be a total dick. Now I've noticed the attitude shift somewhat recently, and I also hate when women are infantilized and men are demonized.  

If you are talking about Ellen Degeneres, it goes beyond not being nice.  I do not buy her line about having no idea her show was a toxic work environment.  Stuff like that starts at the top and works down.  It's her show.  Even if a producer or two was an asshole behind her back, it still falls on her.  It also shows how little she thinks of the people who work under her.  Ellen could have built a show where every employee was treated with respect, but she either was complicit in the abuse or turned a blind eye to it.  This goes for every showrunner.  The person at the top sets the tone for the show.  

I have also seen enough episodes of her Game of Games, and that woman is a sadist.  The whole show is set up to humiliate the contestants.  

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Alright, this is an incredibly unpopular opinion in the UK, but might not register in any other country - Line of Duty is such a chore to watch.

I thought the first three or four seasons were good or at least was able to tolerate its style  But I can definitely see what you're saying with the fifth season. And now that it has moved from Acorn TV (which I have) to Britbox (which I don't) I'm not sure I think it'd be worth getting Britbox, even temporarily, to watch it.

But part of it was that the Big Mysterious Bad was tantalizing but it went on too long. 

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If you are talking about Ellen Degeneres, it goes beyond not being nice.

My issue with all this is IMO Ellen is getting crap for being a terrible person but not really being much different from men who have demonstrably acted the same way in positions of power.  Powerful men get credit for being powerful even in that means they treat "the little people" like dirt  and you never really hear about it - powerful women do the same stuff and it's front page news.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My issue with all this is IMO Ellen is getting crap for being a terrible person but not really being much different from men who have demonstrably acted the same way in positions of power.  Powerful men get credit for being powerful even in that means they treat "the little people" like dirt  and you never really hear about it - powerful women do the same stuff and it's front page news.

You're right! For that reason, IMO  ALL powerful folks (male and female) who treat others like dirt deserve to be  dissed and have it front page news!

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I really have not seen Ellen getting crap for her bad behavior outside of Twitter.  I also cannot think of any male celebrity in the 21st century who has had the same reach as Ellen who also behaved badly to staff and the like.  Ellen is choosing to end her talk show instead of fixing the problem.  It wasn't cancelled.  Nor was her NBC game show.  Ellen is still making money for a lot of people, and I see her getting a pass just like those other powerful men of the past.  

• Love 16
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also cannot think of any male celebrity in the 21st century who has had the same reach as Ellen who also behaved badly to staff and the like. 

I've read a few things about James Corden that talk about how his nice guy persona ends when the camera stops rolling.  I don't have a clue whether he's got the same terrible reputation in terms of creating a toxic workplace that Ellen does.  May be comparing apples and oranges here - but they arguably have the same job and yet it's Ellen I hear about, not James.   Just one small sample.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4

Well the general public is hearing about Ellen NOW.  Apparently this has been going on a very long time behind the scenes and she has been powerful enough to weather it.  People never wanted to speak on it and she was able to maintain her reputation -- to the general public -- as a nice lady.

This is no different at all from many powerful men.  Assholery has no gender.  In her own right she is a powerful person who it sounds like treated people poorly -- just like many men -- and was able to swan over that because of the money she brought to the networks.

It isn't until some tipping point happens (in Ellen's case it was the pandemic and her labor practices with her staff) where the noise can no longer be ignored and it finally reaches the general public.

This is the typical trajectory of the exposure of any publicly "nice" person who is a behind the scenes asshole.  It isn't until the stories of their bad rep finally take over and it had the potential to jeopardize their money making and influence. Kinda like most recently with Joss Whedon and Scott Rudin.

Misogyny is real and women are treated differently than men.  But women can be and have been as objectively evil as men and general misogyny should not be invoked as a reason not to call out an objectively horrible woman responsible for her objectively horrible behavior.

• Useful 2
  • Love 22
15 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I've read a few things about James Corden that talk about how his nice guy persona ends when the camera stops rolling.  I don't have a clue whether he's got the same terrible reputation in terms of creating a toxic workplace that Ellen does.  May be comparing apples and oranges here - but they arguably have the same job and yet it's Ellen I hear about, not James.   Just one small sample.

I think part of that in that specific situation is how much name recognition does James Corden really have compared to Ellen? I know who he is. Thanks, Cats. LOL But my relatives who are seriously disconnected from pop culture have no clue. They all know who Ellen is. 

I personally don't have a problem with Corden getting his comeuppance if deserved in the same way that I don't have a problem with Ellen getting it either. 

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think part of that in that specific situation is how much name recognition does James Corden really have compared to Ellen? I know who he is. Thanks, Cats. LOL But my relatives who are seriously disconnected from pop culture have no clue. They all know who Ellen is. 

I personally don't have a problem with Corden getting his comeuppance if deserved in the same way that I don't have a problem with Ellen getting it either. 

I only know James corden from everyone shitting on him lol. I’ve never watched anything he’s in but I know he’s pretty well hated. Ellen on the other hand was famous as the nice person of the industry. Even popular tv shows would mention her and loving her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, JimmyJabloon said:

I only know James corden from everyone shitting on him lol. I’ve never watched anything he’s in but I know he’s pretty well hated. Ellen on the other hand was famous as the nice person of the industry. Even popular tv shows would mention her and loving her.

Yeah I vaguely knew him as someone people find annoying. Cats is the only thing I saw him in, and that movie did nobody any favors, but I found him unusually annoying even within that context. LOL 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I vaguely knew him as someone people find annoying

Interesting.  I know Corden from his show of course but also from hosting the Tony's and from his commercials for various products.  He may not be Ellen level in terms of fame but he is well known.  And, continuing my proud tradition of being the last to know something, I had no idea that he was considered annoying or hated.  I read a few articles critical of him from about a year ago and that was it.

• Love 5
(edited)

Not that I don't think that misogyny could be at play, but one thing about Ellen Degeneres is that some people (myself included) think she's an asshole on-camera. There's the Dakota Johnson birthday thing, for example, and I remember one situation where she was mocking a foreigner's name. Didn't she try to get someone she suspected of being pregnant to either drink alcohol or reveal the pregnancy? And the pranky stuff she has celebrities do to unwitting cashiers, etc. isn't what I'd call "nice." But she does it all with a smile on her face because it's just a joke after all!

So when I heard how she treats the staff, I wasn't surprised, because I already thought she was a jerk. But someone like James Corden (if what has been said about him is true), that would be more surprising, because he actually seems nice, from what I've seen of him.

I guess what I mean is, it's easier for stuff like this to gain traction when people already think you're an asshole.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 18
28 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Didn't she try to get someone she suspected of being pregnant to either drink alcohol or reveal the pregnancy?

YES! She did that to Mariah Carey, who later miscarried that pregnancy and had apparently not wanted to talk about it because of a previous miscarriage. What Ellen did was a really cruel thing to do to somebody. 

You're right about Ellen being an asshole on camera. I still can't get over how awkward that Dakota Johnson interview is (though good for her for calling Ellen on her shit.)

Though I find Corden annoying, I will admit that it is mainly in a "high-energy theater kid" manner that I admit to finding really obnoxious, but that is more personal taste. It's not on par with what Ellen was doing to people and still being lauded as the poster child of kindness.

*No offense to the high-energy theater kids of the world! I'm just a little too antisocial introvert to handle that. :) 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
On 5/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Look, I get that there are a lot of authors who don't like fanfiction, and that's their right, I'm not about to judge. But I will judge Diana Gabaldon for casually comparing it to rape in a particularly stupid, tone-deaf way.

Tip for the entire world: Don't compare anything to rape. Don't. Just don't. It's ugly, it's insensitive, and it trivializes a horrific action.

I will not name the person who said this bc I know people are sensitive to her, but a certain person that created a boy wizard said for her fan fiction was akin to someone moving furniture around your house without your permission, which to me is still the best description of fan fiction. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

That still seems a little condescending to me on the pov of the author. Coming into your house is trespassing. No one writing fan fiction is trying to profit off the original IP.

Keeping consistent - it's someone buying the same furniture as you and arranging their own living room differently. And having a party with people commenting how much they like the living room. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Not that I don't think that misogyny could be at play, but one thing about Ellen Degeneres is that some people (myself included) think she's an asshole on-camera.

I imagine a lot of the extra backlash is because Ellen's whole brand is super nice lady. If her public persona had always been hard to deal with jerk, people would probably just go with the fact that she was a jerk behind the scenes too.

56 minutes ago, Zella said:

Though I find Corden annoying, I will admit that it is mainly in a "high-energy theater kid" manner that I admit to finding really obnoxious, but that is more personal taste. It's not on par with what Ellen was doing to people and still being lauded as the poster child of kindness.

The only bad thing I have every heard about Cordon (even though I do find him annoying) is artists compiling about shooting a carpool karaoke is basically a super long shoot that takes a while day, just for a 5 minute bit.

• Love 5

“That still seems a little condescending to me on the pov of the author.”

Seems like an apt description to me, actually. I kind of get what she saying, with regards to her POV. 

• Love 5
(edited)

FWIW that certain person also said she was fine with fan fiction, provided it wasn't obscene and was credited to the fan fiction writer and not her (basically clearly not canon). She's got other issues, but her stance on fan fiction actually seems pretty balanced and reasonable to me. Hardly in the same category as "fan fiction = breaking into my house and raping my husband."

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Keeping consistent - it's someone buying the same furniture as you and arranging their own living room differently. And having a party with people commenting how much they like the living room.

I don't care one way or another about fan fiction - not interested is probably the best way to describe my POV - but I don't know if I can see it as being equivalent to buying the same furniture.  You are using someone else's creations.  I can see an author being a little possessive about that.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

FWIW that certain person also said she was fine with fan fiction, provided it wasn't obscene and was credited to the fan fiction writer and not her (basically clearly not canon). She's got other issues, but her stance on fan fiction actually seems pretty balanced and reasonable to me. Hardly in the same category as "fan fiction = breaking into my house and raping my husband."

Agreed. She doesn't mind it, but anyone that creates anything feels they always have ownership, but she isn't comparing to violent assault, just unauthorized redecorating.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think a certain amount of possessiveness/ownership about one's own artistic creations is perfectly natural. 

It can be way more toxic than what is being noted here. I took a creative writing class with one person who informed all of his readers (including me) that we were wrong to see phallic symbols in the story. Um, okay, dude. But when everybody who reads your story thinks it's full of dicks, maybe it's actually full of dicks after all. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 10
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I think a certain amount of possessiveness/ownership about one's own artistic creations is perfectly natural. 

2 minutes ago, Zella said:

It can be way more toxic than what is being noted here.

That's two different things for sure. I'm not going to fault authors for having an ego. But if it's so much of a violation to them, then issue a cease and desist. 

I would rather my own work foster more motivation in others. Also you look like a jackass complaining about fan fiction. I think the examples we're citing here too are from authors who created their own original IP based on fan fiction itself, so pot kettle. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I think it's unpopular but I kind of like James Corden's on screen persona. 

But I can also believe he's awful in person.  I just think he's in the same place Ellen was in before the damn broke. Stories are out there but the catalyst to take it main stream hasn't happened yet. 

But I hate that I know this and still get sucked in.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

I loved James Corden before he got big in America. His work on Gavin and Stacey and A League of their own was hilarious and down to earth. Now he’s just all Hollywood and the late night show is fake and annoying.

And I know I’ve been on every forum about this but I just can’t with the Prom performance and subsequent Golden Globe nomination.

I’ve never heard anything about him being an asshole or anything though. He seems ok..

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's two different things for sure. I'm not going to fault authors for having an ego. But if it's so much of a violation to them, then issue a cease and desist. 

I would rather my own work foster more motivation in others. Also you look like a jackass complaining about fan fiction. I think the examples we're citing here too are from authors who created their own original IP based on fan fiction itself, so pot kettle. 

I am not going to defend someone comparing fan fiction to rape, but all the wizard author was doing was stating her opinion and comparing fan fiction to unauthorized redecorating. I think she would be a super drama queen if she went through her lawyers and demanded people to stop writing fan fiction that they weren't even making money.  I am still a bit stung when James Cameron demanded that Avatar the Last Airbender remove "Avatar" from the title, despite The Last Airbender using the the thousands years definition of the word, while Cameron appropriated and redefined the meaning of the same word, and it can be argued he took story ideas from others for his own work. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also cannot think of any male celebrity in the 21st century who has had the same reach as Ellen who also behaved badly to staff and the like.

I can't think of a male whose entire career is built on being America's Sweetheart who really isn't. 

There are certainly plenty of men who have done worse than Ellen, but my issue with her is that she cultivated an image that was completely contrary to who she truly is. Someone like Weinstein never pretended to be a nice guy so his behaviour, while far worse, isn't nearly as surprising. 

The closest male equivalent  to Ellen I can think of is Bill Cosby who, at least in my circles, was torn to shreds when the truth came out. But still has those who think it's all made up, much like I'm sure Ellen still has fans who think she's being unfairly persecuted. The scary thing about "fandom" is how many fans are willing to overlook something in order to keep their idols intact. Look at Polanski, Woody Allen, the list is sadly very, very, very long. 

I do wish that all bad people got called out for what they are. I also wish that our society didn't love a bastard, a rebel, a "bad boy" because far too many don't know where that line is, cross it, and then act all surprised when they go from beloved to hated. 

• Love 15