Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I think it's more eye-rolling than hate, at certain perceived pretentiousness, like using conscious uncoupling instead of just saying she and her husband broke up. Also naming your kids after fruits, though I guess apple is a better name than kumquat...

She also has been pushing pseudo-science for the last few years with Goop.  More than once Gwyneth and Goop have been called out by doctors and other medical professionals for promoting actual harmful products in the name of health.  

Then there's that candle she peddled on Goop.  The one with that name.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Yeah, since just as many people in articles would label him "the self-proclaimed King of Pop", I assumed that was something he himself came up with.

Yeah figured. It's actually why they discussed it in the interview, because this was when the media had started dragging Michael Jackson all the time about being weird and one of the things they used was calling himself that.

There were even rumors that he demanded Oprah address him as the King of Pop when agreeing to do the interview which she herself addressed during the interview and said didn't happen. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I actually think the conscious uncoupling thing is kind of nice.  It's all about trying to be parents to their kids in a way that's very loving and respectful to them.  When I heard her speak about it more I got it.  The other stuff, the pseudo science and candles etc I don't pay attention to or care for.  But I do like her movies and her style and her cookbooks.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I actually think the conscious uncoupling thing is kind of nice.  It's all about trying to be parents to their kids in a way that's very loving and respectful to them.  When I heard her speak about it more I got it.  The other stuff, the pseudo science and candles etc I don't pay attention to or care for.  But I do like her movies and her style and her cookbooks.

I think it's stupid and pretentious.  Just say you're getting divorced.  That doesn't mean it has to be contentious, not every divorce is.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I think it's more eye-rolling than hate, at certain perceived pretentiousness, like using conscious uncoupling instead of just saying she and her husband broke up. Also naming your kids after fruits, though I guess apple is a better name than kumquat...

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She also has been pushing pseudo-science for the last few years with Goop.  More than once Gwyneth and Goop have been called out by doctors and other medical professionals for promoting actual harmful products in the name of health.  

She ultimately seems like a nice person, but I remember in the '90s, she was on the Tonight Show and she told this story that was like "...and he had no idea who I was!" that I really thought betrayed how full she was of herself, because I was like, "Lady, I barely know who you are and I read entertainment magazines." Everything since then has gotten a "Yeah, sounds about right" reaction from me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think she is someone who grew up extremely privileged and tries to be relatable without understanding how anyone else lives.  I think that if you were to ask her what the average annual income in America is, she would guess, $100,000+.  I also think she has always been very susceptible to the pseudo-science she now pushes; I believe she said that the phrase “conscious uncoupling” came from the therapist they were seeing.  Whatever she calls it, Chris and she seem to have divorced in a way that protected their children.  I’d rather have conscious uncoupling than Pitt/Jolie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I think she is someone who grew up extremely privileged and tries to be relatable without understanding how anyone else lives.  I think that if you were to ask her what the average annual income in America is, she would guess, $100,000+.  I also think she has always been very susceptible to the pseudo-science she now pushes; I believe she said that the phrase “conscious uncoupling” came from the therapist they were seeing.  Whatever she calls it, Chris and she seem to have divorced in a way that protected their children.  I’d rather have conscious uncoupling than Pitt/Jolie.

I think her father's death from cancer pushed her into the pseudo-science.  She is looking for ways to prevent cancer in her, and she wants to share this information with everyone to save them from dying from cancer or watching a loved one die from cancer.  Which would be noble if she did not decide that western medicine is evil in the process.  She is looking for that miracle cure that will either prevent or treat cancer that is not chemo.  Because chemicals are bad, don't you know.  I do find it ironic that she eschews sunscreen. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

There's a lot of truth to this. Bless celebs' hearts, but they have no clue about regular people even when I know they mean well. I believe Alyssa Milano cares about people, but she has no idea how much the average person makes and the work it takes.

I've also read different style interviews of various celebs. They'll say things like "I'm cheap. I shop at affordable places like Anthropologie, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom." lol I know when you have millions those stores seem thrifty, but they're really not. 

Anyhow, back to Unpopular TV Opinions...

I agree that Carrie Bradshaw was drama and crazy at times, but I really do still enjoy her. I think Sarah Jessica Parker is a really talented actress too. That's probably unpopular on this board, haha. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I agree that Carrie Bradshaw was drama and crazy at times, but I really do still enjoy her. I think Sarah Jessica Parker is a really talented actress too. That's probably unpopular on this board, haha. 

Though Charlotte was my fave on SatC Carrie was my second fave. I love SJP. I am old enough to remember her from Square Pegs, and then the awesome (or awesomely bad, depending on your POV) movie Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (with Helen Hunt). I have always liked her personality and have liked most things I've seen her in. But she does seem to grate some people the wrong way.

We all like who we like. I can't stand Jennifer Aniston. I can't really name a reason. She doesn't seem to be a terrible person but I can't forking stand the sight of her. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

and then the awesome (or awesomely bad, depending on your POV) movie Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (with Helen Hunt).

That's probably my least favorite of those '80s teen films.  I cannot stand Helen Hunt*, but I'm pretty neutral on Sarah Jessica Parker (I've only seen her in a few movies).  The guy is a dud, I don't like the music or the dancing ... I remember thinking I'd like it because of the friendship between the two girls and the fact the one who looks like SJP is the main character, but it's not my cup of tea.  A friend made me re-watch it several years ago, and nope, still not.

*Which is my UO - to me, Hunt's acting is just a collection of tics, repeated in every role.  The fact she has awards, including an Oscar, blows my mind.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

*Which is my UO - to me, Hunt's acting is just a collection of tics, repeated in every role.  The fact she has awards, including an Oscar, blows my mind.

I'm not a fan, either.  I just don't get the appeal.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's probably my least favorite of those '80s teen films.  I cannot stand Helen Hunt*

I actually like it despite her presence. I am not a fan. She's just kind of...there. Like if you replaced her with a mannequin you'd get the same emotional range. That is probably the only thing I will watch her in. Hated Mad About You.

• Love 6
On 4/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

I think I would prefer an unknown who isn't a comedian. But if they had to go for someone known, I have a soft spot for Levar Burton.

They should get Keenan Thompson. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was just a touch too young to 'get' Square Pegs, but I remember looking the show. I wish it was streaming somewhere. 

I remember loving that show but I don't actually remember the show.  that may be a sign of senility.  Not sure.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yes this is why I cannot stand Paltrow. I've never heard people who were around her saying she was an asshole, and what I remember reading about her in the books about the Weinstein scandal, I found myself sympathetic to her. But I think the horseshit she peddles with goop is absolutely indefensible. To be fair to her, I think she is genuinely duped by it all, too, but I can't even find the pretentiousness of it funny because it is so dangerous. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

There aren’t many people that I just can’t stand to watch on tv, but there are a few that I think most people like.  My top least favorite would include: Judge Judy,  Jenifer Lopez and Beyoncé.  I think this is pretty unpopular. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was just a touch too young to 'get' Square Pegs, but I remember looking the show. I wish it was streaming somewhere. 

I'm old enough to have 'gotten' Square Pegs and I disliked it because they protagonists were hypocrites who despised each and every member of the uber clique they were so desperate to become part of- yet the audience was expected to root for them and jeer at the uber clique. Nope!

It would have worked so much better had they started out genuinely liking the uber clique but becoming gradually disillusioned and then learning that they didn't need to be part of it. But instead the protagonists felt they were somehow entitled to be popular and felt that they deserved to be part of the clique composed of folks they despised! 

17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

All I remember is from the theme song - one size does *not* fit all. 

I still want to watch it because like every 80s actor is in it and Bill Murray. 

Watch it if you want  but don't be surprised at the shadowside.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm old enough to have 'gotten' Square Pegs and I disliked it because they protagonists were hypocrites who despised each and every member of the uber clique they were so desperate to become part of- yet the audience was expected to root for them and jeer at the uber clique. Nope!

It would have worked so much better had they started out genuinely liking the uber clique but becoming gradually disillusioned and then learning that they didn't need to be part of it. But instead the protagonists felt they were somehow entitled to be popular and felt that they deserved to be part of the clique composed of folks they despised! 

I enjoyed it at the time because I felt like the main characters were me.  If I saw it again now, I might agree with you, however.  It did give a friend and me the phrase "totally different head . . . totally", though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I enjoyed it at the time because I felt like the main characters were me.  If I saw it again now, I might agree with you, however.  It did give a friend and me the phrase "totally different head . . . totally", though.

Yeah, I think it is very much a product of it's time and while I'd kind of like to rewatch for the nostalgia of it, I also don't want to because I could very well hate it now. 

• Love 3
On 4/21/2021 at 3:46 PM, Bastet said:

*Which is my UO - to me, [Helen] Hunt's acting is just a collection of tics, repeated in every role.  The fact she has awards, including an Oscar, blows my mind.

That's how I feel about Jennifer Aniston (aside from the Oscar, but she does have some awards).

• Love 4
12 hours ago, janie jones said:

That's how I feel about Jennifer Aniston (aside from the Oscar, but she does have some awards).

Jennifer Aniston doesn't bother me but yeah she seems to always play the same character which seems like Jennifer Aniston.  

I don't necessarily dislike Helen Hunt but I never understood her appeal.  I liked the movie As Good As It Gets but I'm hard pressed to explain why she won an Oscar for her role.  She was up against Kate Winslet, Julie Christie, Judi Dench and Helena Bonham Carter.    I didn't think her character was all that different from Jamie Buchman.

Don't know if this unpopular or not but I like Katherine Heigl.  I enjoyed her on Grey's Anatomy. I even watched her one season show State of Affairs. I like (most) of her movies and liked her Netflix series Firefly Lane.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Don't know if this unpopular or not but I like Katherine Heigl.  I enjoyed her on Grey's Anatomy. I even watched her one season show State of Affairs. I like (most) of her movies and liked her Netflix series Firefly Lane.  

I like Katherine Heigl, too.  I do think it's definitely a UO.

• Love 6
On 4/21/2021 at 6:46 PM, Bastet said:

*Which is my UO - to me, Hunt's acting is just a collection of tics, repeated in every role. 

I laughed out loud over this. Such a perfect description of her. Never liked her.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know like a whole lot about her as a person outside of some of her earlier scandal-ish things with Grey's and whatnot but I've liked her in everything I've seen her in as an actress. Which, honestly is only Wish Upon A Star, Roswell, Grey's, and Firefly Lane lol.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2021 at 1:05 AM, Hiyo said:

Then there was that article a few years after the divorce when she said that he was like her brother now, which is a really weird thing to say about your ex-husband/co-parent/father of your children, even though she presumably meant that everything is amicable and they get along for the sake of the kids.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 4/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, Katy M said:

I think she's a good actress, I like her as a person based on the interviews I've seen of hers too. I could be wrong, but my impression is people don't like that she is a woman with opinions. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Then there was that article a few years after the divorce when she said that he was like her brother now, which is a really weird thing to say about your ex-husband/co-parent/father of your children, even though she presumably meant that everything is amicable and they get along for the sake of the kids.

Perhaps Miss Paltrow meant that they're now chummy but strictly platonic- as would be the case of a healthy sibling love! 

• Love 2
On 4/23/2021 at 3:37 PM, Katy M said:

I've not seen her in much, but I've always liked her when I have.

I think the first thing was Prince Valiant, where she certainly made a strong impression on my teenage... ahem... mind. But then I liked her in Roswell and I thought she was really charming in that movie with Josh Duhamel, Life As We Know It.

I know her reputation is mud in a lot of places, but given all the revelations about dirty politicking in Hollywood, I'm always dubious how much of it is a person's fault, and how much is planted by enemies to ruin their reputation.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

know her reputation is mud in a lot of places, but given all the revelations about dirty politicking in Hollywood, I'm always dubious how much of it is a person's fault, and how much is planted by enemies to ruin their reputation.

And I'll raise you one and say I don't even care.  I don't have to work with them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It may still be weird, but I don't think it's uncommon to say that. At least, I've heard it from other divorced people. It's a lot easier than saying "We get along and are still somewhat close but there are absolutely no romantic feelings between us."

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I know her reputation is mud in a lot of places, but given all the revelations about dirty politicking in Hollywood, I'm always dubious how much of it is a person's fault, and how much is planted by enemies to ruin their reputation.

A lot of times reputations are ruined by behind the scenes blackballing and whisper campaigns.  But in her case she brought on her own backlash via a Vanity Fair interview.  Kinda like J.Lo's interview.  But J.Lo was only trashing other actresses.  Heigl upped the ante a bit and went after writers and producers.  So she shat her own bed.  There is difference between being forthright and opinionated and dissing your bosses in the press.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Heigl upped the ante a bit and went after writers and producers.  So she shat her own bed.  There is difference between being forthright and opinionated and dissing your bosses in the press.

That is my understanding of why she has had a tough time. 
I actually don’t really follow celebrity news, but from what I remember, she was difficult to work with on the set, similar to Shannon Doherty in that regard.

I think both are good actresses.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

A lot of times reputations are ruined by behind the scenes blackballing and whisper campaigns.  But in her case she brought on her own backlash via a Vanity Fair interview.  Kinda like J.Lo's interview.  But J.Lo was only trashing other actresses.  Heigl upped the ante a bit and went after writers and producers.  So she shat her own bed.  There is difference between being forthright and opinionated and dissing your bosses in the press.

Yes, Heigl's problem was she seemed to be biting the hand that fed her. I never watched the show, but I remember really well when she withdrew herself from Emmy consideration because she didn't think she'd been given material to warrant it. That's not the kind of thing that makes writers and showrunners want to work with you again, regardless of how talented you are. If she was that unhappy with the material, she was well within her rights to talk about that with her bosses and even leave over it, but the way she went about it was really unprofessional. I don't think she needed to be blackballed to have trouble finding work. She blackballed herself. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I had thought there was another Katherine Heigl moment that really stood out to me as unprofessional, but I had to do some digging to confirm it. She bitched on Letterman about having to work 17-hour-days but come to find out that was to accommodate her own requests for time off to do PR for a movie, like the Letterman show. She then claimed she didn't know that was why she had that schedule. But I find that a little hard to believe. You suddenly start working 17-hour days and you don't know why and you don't bother to ask? 

It just seemed like she had this recurring issue of ranting to the media/press about things that she really needed to address with her employers. It's not even like she claimed she complained to them about things and it fell on deaf ears. She just repeatedly blindsided them with complaints that may have even had some validity, but I don't think that would reflect well on her in any line of work. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 6

Don’t know if this is an UO, but warts and all, I thought WandaVision was still a way better show than The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Despite some good moments, the latter had so much wasted potential and was overall a letdown.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Don’t know if this is an UO, but warts and all, I thought WandaVision was still a way better show than The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Despite some good moments, the latter had so much wasted potential and was overall a letdown.

I agree. I wasn't exactly let down by The Falcon and the Winter Soldier--it did have some good moments-- but it could have been much better.  I think it would have been better with 2 more episodes to explain the plot and wrap it up.

• Love 4

I hate it when a show's popularity winds up ruining it!

Case in point: Northern Exposure(1990-1995). I happened upon it when it was a summer replacement and thought I'd discovered an untapped nugget about a warm,lively community of quirky but realistic folks who lived their lives they best they could but dealt with unexpected happenings in stride.

Alas, word got out about it and before too long it got transformed to being Flake Field Central where everyone was a kook and virtually nothing BUT weird stuff happened. I hated to see my fun, charming show get blown up into this grotesque mutant via the popularity and fandom. 

However, I hung on to the very end  and despite the show having become a pretentious, self-important trainwreck for too long , the ending (almost ) redeemed things via showing the townspeople simply closing shop and going home at the end of a typical day knowing they'd be back in the morning but we viewers wouldn't be there then. I like to imagine that the next morning, it got transformed BACK to my untapped nugget of being a warm,lively community of quirky but realistic folks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

With Katherine Heigl, my memory of when things went particularly left for her, is when she publicly dragged Knocked Up, a few years after the film came and was a huge success. There had been some think pieces when the film came out calling it out on have some sexist undertones and being kind of problematic in parts.

And in the interest of fairness, I personally don't think it's wrong for actors to reflect on their past roles and if they think some things didn't work or there were problematic elements to it, to say, "yeah I see now why some see it that way, etc." Viola Davis has said something similar about The Help. 

The problem with Heigl was that she went all the way in against the film, flat out calling it misogynistic and sexist and I may be wrong but even not so subtly accusing Judd Apatow, the film's writer/director, of such as well.

And what pissed many people off was as they noted, Heigl read the script, knew what the film was, agreed to do it, enjoyed the initial smash success it had that then allowed her to book more leading lady roles. And then she turns around and just drags it with no nuance or context to her opinions.

It just really pissed a lot of people off. And I do remember many at the time wondering if she was deliberately trying to get herself blackballed in Hollywood. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I hate it when a show's popularity winds up ruining it!

Case in point: Northern Exposure(1990-1995). I happened upon it when it was a summer replacement and thought I'd discovered an untapped nugget about a warm,lively community of quirky but realistic folks who lived their lives they best they could but dealt with unexpected happenings in stride.

Alas, word got out about it and before too long it got transformed to being Flake Field Central where everyone was a kook and virtually nothing BUT weird stuff happened. I hated to see my fun, charming show get blown up into this grotesque mutant via the popularity and fandom. 

However, I hung on to the very end  and despite the show having become a pretentious, self-important trainwreck for too long , the ending (almost ) redeemed things via showing the townspeople simply closing shop and going home at the end of a typical day knowing they'd be back in the morning but we viewers wouldn't be there then. I like to imagine that the next morning, it got transformed BACK to my untapped nugget of being a warm,lively community of quirky but realistic folks. 

So much this. It started out with Joel being a fish out of water, but after a while it seemed like the town was full of jerks ganging up to drive him nuts--as if the show was taking out its hostility towards Rob Morrow through Joel. They also started doing stories where they undid the main quirky/magical thing about the characters and it just ruined them.

But those early eps were so great.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

With Katherine Heigl, my memory of when things went particularly left for her, is when she publicly dragged Knocked Up, a few years after the film came and was a huge success. There had been many think pieces when the film came out calling it out on have some sexist undertones and being kind of problematic in parts.

Yeah, that was her in the Vanity Fair interview.  Which I think was part of the problem.  She was (and I believe still is)the only regular cast member of Grey's to win an Emmy.  Her career was the one that was really blowing up.  She had made the successful jump from small screen to big screen Rom-Com star.  She was in Knocked Up and even before she began doing press for that she was already in 27 Dresses.  She was first bill on that and since The Ugly Truth came right on the heels of that (where she was also first bill), she was probably getting inundated with scripts.  I could very much see she thought she was running with the big dogs and could flex a little.

The Viola Davis situation was a little different because a lot of people felt the white savior aspect of The Help was yet another example of that trope and were rightfully annoyed with the optics of a disenfranchised black woman who wasn't even allowed use the bathroom in her employer's house giving their white little girl a pep talk in empowerment.  She felt the need to address that because it was a scene that was especially problematic to many.  Wheareas  with Knocked up there was no big groundswell of critics or fans calling it sexist or misogynistic.  It was textbook rom-com. Heigl raised that all on her own.

• Love 8

I hate to be a cantankerous old fart (well, I am, but I just hate to be one), but I think the first season of Boy Meets World was the best... and by best, I mean the only tolerable.

Besides, I think Boy Meets World rivals Friends in terms of obnoxious Flanderization. I loved what a bright, snappy, mischievous, funny kid Cory was in the beginning... before he became a drippy halfwit. I preferred Shawn when he was kind of rough around the edges... before he became a mewling, codependent bore. I loved Topanga back when she was a hippy-dippy weirdo... before she became a suburban nonentity who dressed like she was 40*. And, oh, don't even get me started on Eric (Will Friedle deserved so much better).

*Seriously, wardrobe people, just because Danielle Fishel wasn't a size 0, that's no reason or excuse to dress her like a mom at a damn PTA meeting! What college student owns that many sweater sets?!?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 9