Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I hate to be a cantankerous old fart (well, I am, but I just hate to be one), but I think the first season of Boy Meets World was the best... and by best, I mean the only tolerable.

Besides, I think Boy Meets World rivals Friends in terms of obnoxious Flanderization. I loved what a bright, snappy, mischievous, funny kid Cory was in the beginning... before he became a drippy halfwit. I preferred Shawn when he was kind of rough around the edges... before he became a mewling, codependent bore. I loved Topanga back when she was a hippy-dippy weirdo... before she became a suburban nonentity who dressed like she was 40*. And, oh, don't even get me started on Eric (Will Friedle deserved so much better).

*Seriously, wardrobe people, just because Danielle Fishel wasn't a size 0, that's no reason or excuse to dress her like a mom at a damn PTA meeting! What college student owns that many sweater sets?!?

Don't know if that's considered an unpopular opinion. I've seen that sentiment shared many times throughout the years. The show definitely went from fun, 90s family sitcom to every episode was another super special, after school special. And yeah Cory and Topanga's "true love forever" romance became intolerable by the end. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And yeah Cory and Topanga's "true love forever" romance became intolerable by the end. 

Ugh, same. See, that's what I loved about The Wonder Years:

Spoiler

that Kevin and Winnie didn't get married. It was just a special period of first love that Older Kevin looked back on fondly, but that's it. All childhood sweethearts aren't going to be together forever.

Honestly, I only watched reruns of Boy Meets World back in the day if I absolutely had nothing better to do.

William Daniels was the real star of the show. Yeah, I said it, and, yeah, I will die on this hill.

• Love 8

Boy Meets World is yet another thing from my pre-teen years that has this enduring popularity that I just don't share in.  (See also Hocus Pocus).  Like Hocus Pocus, I remember liking Boy Meets World fine as a kid and then naturally losing interest.  I don't even think I ever finished the series.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

William Daniels was the real star of the show. Yeah, I said it, and, yeah, I will die on this hill.

Agree- and that octogenarian performer  (and Mr. Feeny) deserved FAR better treatment on that misguided Girl Meets World  sequel than getting the teen 'stars' to   wave their hands in his face (!?!) and do a lame attempt at a Feeny Call after the girls, Cory, Topanga and Shawn had just vandalized his garden-with none of the five making the slightest attempt at apologizing for those bullying and reprehensible actions- ever! And this was someone the so-called adults had sung great praises for and he'd done nothing to the teens but be their victim! Yeah, I'm STILL mad that (as far as I know) no writers, producers or performers seemed to attempt to stop or even to object to that whole turn of events being depicted. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

All childhood sweethearts aren't going to be together forever.

Most childhood sweethearts aren't going to be together forever, which is a very good thing.  One of TV's most annoying tropes is either keeping such characters together, or presenting it as a sad thing they didn't last.  I greatly prefer shows like The Wonder Years that play it realistically, where it's a relationship both look back on fondly, but it was the first of many such relationships and they were kids, so it was a big part of life then and will always hold that place in memory of being the first, but it's firmly in the past and has little relevance to life now.

Related, although I don't know if this one is unpopular (actually, I don't think the first one is, either, although there do seem to be plenty of fans of those twu teen luv 4eva stories), I loathe how many characters are jealous of/threatened by the their partner's first love somehow winding up back in the partner's life.  Seriously?  You think your 35-year-old partner of three years is going to suddenly toss away your relationship based on fond teenage memories?  If so, it's a bad relationship, and you should be the one to leave.  It's a stupid storyline with any ex, but especially when it's someone the partner loved twenty years ago as a kid.  (And, of course, being TV, most of these irrational characters are women.)

• Love 13

That's kind of why in retrospect Xander and Cordelia on Buffy is such a fun hook up.  They were so wrong for each other in the long run but at the time they were just two hormonal teens acting all hormonal.  It just lasted until it didn't anymore.  Even if she hadn't caught him cheating on her they would have broken up eventually.  

• Love 4

I only know of one couple irl that were so-called 'high school sweethearts'. Most of my married friends met in college or during college years, say early 20s. 

Funny for one couple I was friends with them each individually before they got together. I live don the 'cool' block back then. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes, Heigl's problem was she seemed to be biting the hand that fed her. I never watched the show, but I remember really well when she withdrew herself from Emmy consideration because she didn't think she'd been given material to warrant it. That's not the kind of thing that makes writers and showrunners want to work with you again, regardless of how talented you are. 

I just remember she took maternity leave and then refused to show back up to Greys Anatomy to film. Krista Vernoff did an interview about it recently. They had written the exit storyline for Izzie and they got a call the night before shooting that she wouldn't be back... at all. I remember the news reports around that time - she was given time off to make a movie and then time off for maternity. In between it was agreed she would exit the show permanently and so an exit storyline was written and at the last minute she dropped out. Granted I'd say her relationship with the showrunner was at an all time low at that point but I still thought it was incredibly unprofessional.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 4/23/2021 at 8:57 AM, ifionlyknew said:

Don't know if this unpopular or not but I like Katherine Heigl.  I enjoyed her on Grey's Anatomy. I even watched her one season show State of Affairs. I like (most) of her movies and liked her Netflix series Firefly Lane.  

Iike her too, she's the only reason I watched Grey's Anatomy. And I don't think she was wrong with her comments about the writing. They made her fuck a ghost!!!! You know what? That is shitty writing. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I think that they had her fuck the ghost after she complained about the writing.. I only just realised that and it's kind of hilarious. Her diss regarding the Emmys was about the season 3 Gizzie storyline (I think).

• LOL 9

I was soooo looking forward to the Sesame Street special that aired earlier this week. I dvr'd it as I had to work late and watched it last night.

I'm so disappointed. It started off well enough, and I cried again when they aired how the show dealt with Mr. Hooper's death. I remember when it happened and how Big Bird couldn't understand why Mr. Hooper couldn't come back.

I grew up watching this show. It was a staple of my childhood. And while I love Stevie Wonder, I wanted to hear the theme song being sung by the children.

Basically, I just wanted to hear from the people that were on the show from the beginning that are still with us, the people that are still there, and the muppets. It quickly went in another direction.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was soooo looking forward to the Sesame Street special that aired earlier this week. I dvr'd it as I had to work late and watched it last night.

I'm so disappointed. It started off well enough, and I cried again when they aired how the show dealt with Mr. Hooper's death. I remember when it happened and how Big Bird couldn't understand why Mr. Hooper couldn't come back.

I grew up watching this show. It was a staple of my childhood. And while I love Stevie Wonder, I wanted to hear the theme song being sung by the children.

Basically, I just wanted to hear from the people that were on the show from the beginning that are still with us, the people that are still there, and the muppets. It quickly went in another direction.

Well, if you want to see a production that focuses on how the show got developed and an  insightful view of its (IMO) prime years, look no further than Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street (2021) a documentary chock full of contemporary as well as vintage interviews with cast, crew and other participants and their survivors! That's not to say that there aren't a few things glossed over/ignored but it's well worth checking out if one has an interest in the show that was a crucial part of so many generations' childhoods! 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

Gotta get this off my chest.

I recently finished watching True Detective S1 and it was 75% boring AF.  Well acted?  Yes, but good acting couldn't save Matthew McConaughey's character's boring soliloquies on whatever. I stuck with the show after the first mostly boring eps because I was curious as to who the killer was.   There were some interesting parts - MM going rogue undercover with the supremacists and watching that all go to hell -and the conclusion where they're stalking the killer was tense.  The ending scene with MM & WH was good.  

I realize it is 7 years old so maybe I would have enjoyed it more then but the tropes were just tiring.  Also, only on TV would 20 something women who look like models willingly jump in bed with Woody Harrelson's frumpy character.   The women in the show were pretty much props anyway.

I can watch a show that's bleak and has mainly unlikable people in it but it helps if it's interesting.  After all of the buzz, I was surprised at how bored I was for the most part.   I'm not interested in the subsequent seasons even though they have different casts.

OK, I feel better now :)

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, raven said:

Also, only on TV would 20 something women who look like models willingly jump in bed with Woody Harrelson's frumpy character.   The women in the show were pretty much props anyway.

True for so many shows, both vintage and current.  I always figure this is the writers living out their fantasies.  Hot young women eager for action with middle aged guys with male pattern baldness. 

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

True for so many shows, both vintage and current.  I always figure this is the writers living out their fantasies.  Hot young women eager for action with middle aged guys with male pattern baldness. 

Yes, I wasn't exactly surprised since it is a common trope and the show is one of the older ones.   I don't consider either of the leads attractive though a lot of people do. 

The women in the show were either "crazy pussy" to quote MM's character;  WH's wife who apparently had no life of her own; disturbed incest victim; and WH's character's daughters, one of whom was either molested herself or saw someone else molested/raped, a question that was never answered.

The show to me was drag-it-out-for-seven-episodes and info dump in the 8th to wrap up. 

It was disappointing because the acting was good and as I said, there were some good bits.  I thought the storytelling in the present and flashing back to the past was handled well. 

It reminded me of The Killing a bit, which had a fantastic first episode and then went downhill.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, raven said:

It reminded me of The Killing a bit, which had a fantastic first episode and then went downhill.

I'm watching that right now! And the fact that I'm writing this while watching means I agree about it going downhill. I am on around ep 5 I think and while I'm moderately interested in finding out who the killer is, I'm mostly watching at this point because I covet Mireille Enos' hair (I want that color so bad). It's very well acted, and there are moments that are interesting, but the politician story is boring and the moving to Cali story is boring. Just stick with the mystery people!

• Love 4
On 5/1/2021 at 5:00 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

There are young women like that out there, but nowhere near as many as tv wants you to believe.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

There are young women like that out there, but nowhere near as many as tv wants you to believe.

You mean Californication isn't an accurate representation of what it's like to be a doughy, middle-aged bald man with a face that is more than slightly reminiscent of Shrek?

This is common in novels as well. The amount of books I've read where the middle-aged hero manages to sleep with one or more gorgeous, twentysomething women who are completely upfront about their uncontrollable desire (or, in the case of Joseph Kanon novels, their apparently blithe and unenthusiastic acceptance that sex will happen) for said hero is staggering.

I guess it might have something to do with the writers of said novels and TV shows being the same, uncool middle-aged men who fantasise about gorgeous young women throwing themselves at them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I guess it might have something to do with the writers of said novels and TV shows being the same, uncool middle-aged men who fantasise about gorgeous young women throwing themselves at them.

Probably the same type of people who are trying to work out their high school prom issues by having their stand-in (or heck, any of the male characters, main cast or otherwise) attending prom with a much more attractive (and sometimes older) date.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

You mean Californication isn't an accurate representation of what it's like to be a doughy, middle-aged bald man with a face that is more than slightly reminiscent of Shrek?

This is common in novels as well. The amount of books I've read where the middle-aged hero manages to sleep with one or more gorgeous, twentysomething women who are completely upfront about their uncontrollable desire (or, in the case of Joseph Kanon novels, their apparently blithe and unenthusiastic acceptance that sex will happen) for said hero is staggering.

Oh I hate this too.   It's like the writers place themselves into the protagonist role and live out their sexual fantasies via their novel.  The dragon tattoo series....everyone, no matter how young or old, that guy meets want to have sex with him?  Really?  A middle aged reporter, yes, every woman's fantasy.  

I've mentioned this somewhere before too though it may have been on a prior message board.   So annoying. 

• Love 16

A Clive Cussler book that I read once began with the hero in his workshop, gorgeous (maybe?) girlfriend walks in, drops her clothes, has sex with him right there, dresses, and then leaves as she mentions she made dinner and left it on the table for him.  I read the entire rest of the book as if it were parody and can never see the author’s name without laughing now.

• LOL 13
16 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If that's the case, I'm seriously concerned about the author of the Outlander books.

I believe the standard line about the Outlander books is--it was the past.  People were naturally more violent in the 1700s because they were more ignorant.  Rape didn't become illegal until the 20th century, so therefore all men went around raping every woman they could find. blah, blah, blah.  

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe the standard line about the Outlander books is--it was the past.  People were naturally more violent in the 1700s because they were more ignorant.  Rape didn't become illegal until the 20th century, so therefore all men went around raping every woman they could find. blah, blah, blah.  

I hope you know that that is NOT true! While there have been inconsistencies and spottiness re the prosecutions,etc. rape has ALWAYS been illegal since time immemorial. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

I hope you know that that is NOT true! While there have been inconsistencies and spottiness re the prosecutions,etc. rape has ALWAYS been illegal since time immemorial. 

Oh, I know that is true.  There is no evidence that men were more rapey back in the 18th century, but that is the defense of Diana Gabaldon the stans use when this legitimate critique of the books/show is brought up.  

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Oh I hate this too.   It's like the writers place themselves into the protagonist role and live out their sexual fantasies via their novel. 

I try to avoid this. My parents read my stories. I don't want them knowing that kind of thing, and they don't want to know it! So I wonder about people who really get into writing the sex parts.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If that's the case, I'm seriously concerned about the author of the Outlander books.

Who was balding and doughy on Californication? Duchovny had a lot of sex, but he's not that. 

I'm think it was the friend, the one who was married on the show to Pamela Adlon's character?

• Love 1

I guess she has a thing for bald middle-aged men?

I mean, this is her and her husband...

e56a360e7aaae3a57d315721d6e63f9f.jpg

• Useful 4
11 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I guess she has a thing for bald middle-aged men?

I mean, this is her and her husband...

e56a360e7aaae3a57d315721d6e63f9f.jpg

I believe the poster was talking about the sexual violence that permeates the Outlander books.  This is a series where every female character and even some male characters are raped.  She even has the supposed hero of the series force himself on his wife (the series heroine) in the first book, and later in the series she forces herself on him.  It's safe to say that Ms. Gabaldon has some issues with consent.  Her son, the SFF writer Sam Sykes, also has some documented issues with consent.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

No, but the op you quoted is correct. On social media, whenever reasonable people make a comment about sexual assault being a quite often go-to plot point, the ardent defenders always say, "it was the past." 

Well, it is fiction, and the author came up with those plots. So, it's like, 'where are you coming from here?'

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Oh, I know that is true.  There is no evidence that men were more rapey back in the 18th century, but that is the defense of Diana Gabaldon the stans use when this legitimate critique of the books/show is brought up.  

I like enough of the show to keep watching or I just wouldn't bother. However, once they pulled it again with Bonnet, it was like, 'all right. You need to talk to someone, lady.'

1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I'm think it was the friend, the one who was married on the show to Pamela Adlon's character?

I take the overall point, which is overwhelmingly the case but if you mean that guy, the agent? Him and Adlon are of similar age, so it wasn't like 45 and 23. He was shown to be largely an even keeled character iirc, and the actor beat cancer irl, so that's why he was bald. I just don't think it applies here. 

Ironically, Duchovny's character did have sex with 20 y/o (characters), and the main character arc was with one who was underage at the time (unbeknownst to him, the character). So it's the same trope on a different character. His on again off again gf/baby mama continually called him on it though. Weird show. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

No, but the op you quoted is correct. On social media, whenever reasonable people make a comment about sexual assault being a quite often go-to plot point, the ardent defenders always say, "it was the past." 

Well, it is fiction, and the author came up with those plots. So, it's like, 'where are you coming from here?'

I like enough of the show to keep watching or I just wouldn't bother. However, once they pulled it again with Bonnet, it was like, 'all right. You need to talk to someone, lady.'

I take the overall point, which is overwhelmingly the case but if you mean that guy, the agent? Him and Adlon are of similar age, so it wasn't like 45 and 23. He was shown to be largely an even keeled character iirc, and the actor beat cancer irl, so that's why he was bald. I just don't think it applies here. 

Ironically, Duchovny's character did have sex with 20 y/o (characters), and the main character arc was with one who was underage at the time (unbeknownst to him, the character). So it's the same trope on a different character. His on again off again gf/baby mama continually called him on it though. Weird show. 

I didn't remember everything that happened with his friend, but I had some vague memory that maybe he, too, had some affair with a younger woman? Not like Duchovny's character who was always sleeping with everyone, but I feel like he had somebody throw themselves at him at some point too. 

I could not stand either that underaged girl or his ex on the show. The ex, especially, was always positioning herself as calling him out because he was so terrible, when in fact she was worse. It got to the point where I couldn't watch the show without wanting somebody to stand up and tell her off, but instead everyone kept acting like she was the long-suffering one in the relationship.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I didn't remember everything that happened with his friend, but I had some vague memory that maybe he, too, had some affair with a younger woman? Not like Duchovny's character who was always sleeping with everyone, but I feel like he had somebody throw themselves at him at some point too. 

I could not stand either that underaged girl or his ex on the show. The ex, especially, was always positioning herself as calling him out because he was so terrible, when in fact she was worse. It got to the point where I couldn't watch the show without wanting somebody to stand up and tell her off, but instead everyone kept acting like she was the long-suffering one in the relationship.

That was the prevailing opinion here when the show was airing. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

So for people who believe that their logic is if rape wasn't illegal more men would do it?

I grew up watching soap operas and watching men who were rapists suddenly become heroes because people liked their characters sadly crossed over into real life.  Even men who are not well liked always have their defenders.

• Love 5

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I feel like probably back then marital rape was more common.  In cases where the parents set up the marriages for property reasons and men DID have the right to demand their wives do their duties, It wouldn't have been even seen as rape.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I feel like probably back then marital rape was more common.  In cases where the parents set up the marriages for property reasons and men DID have the right to demand their wives do their duties, It wouldn't have been even seen as rape.

Yeah, marital rape would have been more common back when the wife was considered her husband's property and not a person in her own right.  The first Outlander book was also written in the 1980s, a time where many historical romances included scenes of marital rape.  The romance community has a standard disclaimer for the old school romances and dubious consent.  We still read and love the books, but we acknowledge the fact the book is a product of it's time.  And the first Outlander book was a romance novel.  The author has changed her tune about it, but when it was first released it was considered romance.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I haven't read the books, but what's in the show isn't marital rape. Claire went through the stones and within about 5 minutes was almost raped. The author's got issues beyond just 'it was the past,' and she could work with the current show to actually develop plots alternatively. 

• Useful 4
21 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I haven't read the books, but what's in the show isn't marital rape. Claire went through the stones and within about 5 minutes was almost raped. The author's got issues beyond just 'it was the past,' and she could work with the current show to actually develop plots alternatively. 

I read the first 3 books and that was enough for me.  I have not watched the show due to what I had read.  The books had marital rape in them then show may have softened it a bit.  This is in addition to the other rapes that litter the novels.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

There are things I really enjoy about the franchise, but it's also earned the nickname "Rapelander" in a lot of writing about it. So take what you will from that as most major characters and quite a few secondary characters will be sexually assaulted at some point in the timeline.

• Useful 4
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

I try to avoid this. My parents read my stories. I don't want them knowing that kind of thing, and they don't want to know it! So I wonder about people who really get into writing the sex parts.

This is why I don't let my mother read my Horatio Hornblower-adjacent fan fiction.  Because the main character is clearly who I want to be. ;-)

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think the other poster was saying it was all marital rape, just that some of what is in the books falls under that description.  I don't know how much Diana Gabledon had to do with the show.

• Love 3

I think she's an EP on the show. 

I know what the poster was saying. I was pointing out that there isn't martial rape on the show, so we're saying there's a problem on the show, and that's not included, think how heavy it is. 

• Useful 1

I tried to read the first Outlander book and fucking hated it. I don't think I have ever hated a book so much. I was propelled to finish it purely by rage. I then tried the first season of the show and liked it slightly better but still really disliked it. 

So, I know I am starting with a low bar, but Diana Gabaldon also just creeps me the fuck out. Her little meltdowns about fan fiction in which she compared them to raping her husband (?!) is one of many reasons I don't think she's operating with a full deck. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Zella said:

I tried to read the first Outlander book and fucking hated it. I don't think I have ever hated a book so much. I was propelled to finish it purely by rage. I then tried the first season of the show and liked it slightly better but still really disliked it. 

So, I know I am starting with a low bar, but Diana Gabaldon also just creeps me the fuck out. Her little meltdowns about fan fiction in which she compared them to raping her husband (?!) is one of many reasons I don't think she's operating with a full deck. 

I knew she hated fanfic but wow, she said that? She really does have issues there. If she thinks fanfic is like rape, maybe that explains why she overuses it so much!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I knew she hated fanfic but wow, she said that? She really does have issues there. If she thinks fanfic is like rape, maybe that explains why she overuses it so much!

She deleted it from her blog, but you can still find it preserved, I think on waybackmachine. I believe her exact words were it was like breaking into her house and raping her husband. 

34 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Does she not know how fanfiction works?

The best part is my understanding is Outlander actually started out as some sort of Doctor Who fanfiction. 

13 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Look, I get that there are a lot of authors who don't like fanfiction, and that's their right, I'm not about to judge. But I will judge Diana Gabaldon for casually comparing it to rape in a particularly stupid, tone-deaf way.

Tip for the entire world: Don't compare anything to rape. Don't. Just don't. It's ugly, it's insensitive, and it trivializes a horrific action.

Same. I understand why they may not like fanfiction. George R R Martin, for all of his other issues, has provided some pretty reasonable reasons for why he doesn't like fanfiction of his stuff. She's the only person I've ever seen take it in that direction. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, Zella said:

The best part is my understanding is Outlander actually started out as some sort of Doctor Who fanfiction. 

Maybe that's why she compared it to rape. Perhaps she's worried that someone will do the same as she did and take someone else's ideas to make money for themselves.

35 minutes ago, Zella said:

Same. I understand why they may not like fanfiction. George R R Martin, for all of his other issues, has provided some pretty reasonable reasons for why he doesn't like fanfiction of his stuff. She's the only person I've ever seen take it in that direction. 

I know of several authors who have stated they don't like fanfic, and for the most part it's understandable. It's a bit rich coming from GRRM, though, who seems to have little intention of ever finishing the work that he got so many people to buy into. But then, he's also said that if he dies before it's done, he won't allow any other writer to complete it, unlike Robert Jordan who made it clear he wanted his wife to find an author to finish the Wheel of Time when he realised he wouldn't be able to.

• Love 8