Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Season 5 of The Good Wife was it's peak season. It ended a mess mostly because of behind the scenes drama but that season was so exciting creatively.

Yes I was just ready to pop in and argue this same point. I'd still argue that is every bit as good as a lot of the prestige cable TV shows I've watched.

Speaking of another network show, I thought Person of Interest came into its own much more in the latter half of its 5-season life when it became more serialized than its early seasons, which were far more procedural. 

• Love 3

I don't think the (theoretical) rule should be that any show that wants to go out on a high should wave bye bye after 3 seasons. I think it's more like "3 seasons after it hits its stride". 

Then again, there are all kinds of patterns.  There are show great out of the gate that have sophomore slumps but fix themselves in season 3 or 4. There are shows that get crispy but are actually the rare ones that creatively survive a retooling (this is a rare one though). The point is, I don't think there's a predictable path, other than a general sense that most successful shows become about cashing in on that success, and rarely leave gracefully. 

• Love 7

For me, I've noticed that with many of the long-running shows I watch, they usually have their best seasons/the ones that tend to be my favorites somewhere in the middle of their run, between seasons 3 and 6, 7 or so. The cast has settled into and established their characters by that point, the chemistry is gelling, and that section of seasons often tends to have the majority of my favorite episodes and storylines as well.

"Frasier" is a good example of that-I think that show was pretty steadily consistent throughout its run, no real major dips in quality. But my personal favorite seasons are seasons 3 through 6//7. 

• Love 3

I think generally shows have a great first season and then have a hard time living up to that (Lost for me was that) or they hit their stride in the seasons 2-4 (Friends and Roseanne for me).  There are the rare shows that are consistently good throughout their runs (the Wire for me).

Also I think backstage stuff plays a significant role.  A lot of times producers and writers leave after seasons 1-3.   I think if we looked at shows that really went downhill after a particular season we would find there was a change behind the scenes.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Speaking of another network show, I thought Person of Interest came into its own much more in the latter half of its 5-season life when it became more serialized than its early seasons, which were far more procedural. 

I personally agree with that but the opinion on POI varies depending on if someone prefers procedural or serialized shows. I’ve heard people who prefer the former argue that the show took a nose dive after the first couple of seasons while people like me who prefer the latter, think it was its best in the back half.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I personally agree with that but the opinion on POI varies depending on if someone prefers procedural or serialized shows. I’ve heard people who prefer the former argue that the show took a nose dive after the first couple of seasons while people like me who prefer the latter, think it was its best in the back half.

Oh yes I actually watched it in real time with relatives who hated the show after it got more serialized. When I rewatched it a couple of years ago, I did so solo, and it really cemented for me how much the show grew and improved as time went on.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

I have different opinions when it comes to sitcoms vs. when it comes to dramas.

Sitcoms:  The first season is rarely the best.  In fact, I don't think they really get good until at least the second season and all I look for in a first season is that I genuinely enjoy the show. I don't expect to laugh.  I can't think of any sitcom where I thought the first season was the best.

Premise Plot Dramas: A premise plot is with a season long mystery.  Or some supernatural event that needs to be explained.  They often use the in media res technique we discussed earlier.  When the focus is so much on the main plot of the first season, it's really hard to top in later seasons.

Other Dramas or Dramedies:  Their first season can be their best but they can have great seasons later on as well.  Heck, if they go on long enough, quality can rise and fall.  Law & Order had some bad seasons in its 19 year run and it had some great seasons over that time.  In fact, the final season was pretty terrific.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I can't think of any sitcom where I thought the first season was the best.

I don't know if it was the best season but I have rarely laughed so hard watching a sitcom as I did watching the pilot episode of Third Rock From the Sun.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Premise Plot Dramas: A premise plot is with a season long mystery.  Or some supernatural event that needs to be explained.  They often use the in media res technique we discussed earlier.  When the focus is so much on the main plot of the first season, it's really hard to top in later seasons.

Murder One's season one was awesome. Twin Peaks also was great.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I don't know if it was the best season but I have rarely laughed so hard watching a sitcom as I did watching the pilot episode of Third Rock From the Sun.

I laughed a lot during the pilot and 1st episodes of The Big Bang Theory and Arrested Development.  While I thoroughly enjoyed the network seasons of AD, that's one where I think the first season was the best.  I think Dexter and 24 had really strong first seasons and a few thereafter, as well.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Yeah, I think that show definitely came out of the gate pretty strong, both with its pilot and its first season in general. And again, I'll say the same for "Frasier", too. I love how they did their pilot-they managed to find a clever way to deal with the usual exposition and setup that pilots go through and set up the overall format of the show quite nicely. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

While I thoroughly enjoyed the network seasons of AD, that's one where I think the first season was the best. 

Arrested Development was the one sitcom that made me stop and go maaaaybe.  But I don't know that there was one season of the network show that I loved more than the other so I wasn't ready to throw my vote behind the first season even though it's one of the few I liked from Day 1.

38 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Murder One's season one was awesome. Twin Peaks also was great.

How do you feel about the later seasons?  I think with premise plots, it's really hard to top that first season.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I think Dexter and 24 had really strong first seasons and a few thereafter, as well.

I loved the first three seasons of Dexter but I truly don't think it was a show that could sustain more than five seasons total. I have heard they are doing a reboot of some sort. Maybe Dexter is out there killing off his fellow lumberjacks. 

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I don't like reboots of shows that focus on the children of the original characters. The recent Dallas reboot managed it for about one good season despite the charisma vacuum that is Jesse Metcalf. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

How do you feel about the later seasons?  I think with premise plots, it's really hard to top that first season.

The later seasons can't even compare. I've rewatched the first season of Murder One a few times. Even though I know how everything ends it is still sucks me in every time.  I've only re watched the second season once.  Twin Peaks I don't even think I finished the second season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think with premise plots, it's really hard to top that first season.

It was a loooooong time ago, and I badly remember it, but I seem to recall Wiseguy SORT OF doing this. I say sort of, because while it was technically divided into seasons, it was also divided into story arcs (two per season, each basically a reboot).  I strongly remember the second story arc of the series being much better than the first, and it's definitely a premise plot show. 

That said, it was technically the first season. That means it was produced before any viewer feedback.  Often viewer expectations and pressure ruin these shows in subsequent seasons, and Wiseguy's second arc was free of that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

WKRP In Cincinnati hit the ground running with a very solid ensemble cast of characters, and while Season 1 had a few clunker episodes, it was filled with terrific ones including:

Hold Up (Johnny's live remote at a stereo store is interrupted by a robber);

A Date with Jennifer (Jennifer agrees to accompany Les to an awards dinner),;

The Contest Nobody Could Win (Johnny mistakenly offers a $5,000.00 contest prize for identifying a song snippet medley);

Tornado (Herb unplugs the news teletype as a twister heads toward the station);

Commercial Break (The staff records a Herb-written musical commercial for a funeral home);

Fish Story (As a reporter interviews Andy and Mr. Carlson, Les, Bailey and Herb (dressed as a Carp mascot) get arrested in a men's room brawl with the WPIG pig mascot);

AND the all-time classic Thanksgiving sitcom episode Turkey Day ("As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!")

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

I love that one. Les going on about how everyone needs to arm themselves against the "Godless tornadoes"...XD. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

AND the all-time classic Thanksgiving sitcom episode Turkey Day ("As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!")

That suffers from what I call the Princess Bride syndrome. So hyped up by internet osmosis that when I get around to trying it, it's incredibly underwhelming. "Really? You were all going crazy over this?"

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I don't like reboots of shows that focus on the children of the original characters. The recent Dallas reboot managed it for about one good season despite the charisma vacuum that is Jesse Metcalf

I think the Dallas reboot failed moreso because of the focus on the maid and her daughter Elena. Everyone was in love with her, storylines centred around her and the overall show suffered as a result. It was a like a terrible Mexican soap opera by the time they cancelled it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I think the Dallas reboot failed moreso because of the focus on the maid and her daughter Elena. Everyone was in love with her, storylines centred around her and the overall show suffered as a result. It was a like a terrible Mexican soap opera by the time they cancelled it.

The John Ross/Rebecca story was good, but yeah, Jordana Brewster did that show no favors at all.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

The John Ross/Rebecca story was good, but yeah, Jordana Brewster did that show no favors at all.

It was the arguably the best part of season two but they ruined it in season 3 by moving focus back to Elena and the ridiculous claim of Papis Land and turning John Ross into a bigger moron. 

Elena, her family and Jesse Metcalfe really sucked though. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 3

I think Modern Family and Community could arguably claim to have been their best in the first season of the show. Both nailed their concepts, very quickly, and had a freshness and confidence to them that was very engaging.

The pilot episode of Modern Family is really, really funny, with some moments that are still considered classics - Cam and Lily and the Circle of Life, Phil talking about being a cool dad then accidentally shooting Dylan, the visual comedy of Jay's 'hip' outfit to make sure no one mistook him for a mall walking retiree.

Community absolutely nails it by episode 6, Football, Feminism and You.

Oh, and The Good Place. That first season is a masterpiece, with a crowning moment that takes your breath away at the end.

Thinking about drama shows I've liked, it's often the case that the first season is the best - The West Wing and Friday Night Lights are two shows that have near perfect first seasons, in my opinion. It could be argued that E.R. does as well.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The West Wing and Friday Night Lights are two shows that have near perfect first seasons, in my opinion.

TWW had a near perfect first season but against all odds, I think Season 2 was even better.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

The John Ross/Rebecca story was good

I loved John Ross and Rebecca, the actors had monster chemistry but honestly, what really killed the Dallas reboot was Larry Hagman passing away.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I don't necessarily need a show to go out with me wanting more but rather when I'm satisfied (which is a point that will obviously vary for everyone).  Satisfied that I've seen the best the show has to offer but still before the show just lingers on in irrelevancy.  For sitcoms or non-premise based dramas that can usually be 2-4 seasons past the creative peak.  For premise based dramas it's a lot trickier because those shows have to keep going to the same well or they have to keep upping their ante.  These shows tend to burn brighter but burn out faster.  Basically I don't mind still watching a show that is past its prime as long as I'm still enjoying it.  And the notion that long running shows can't still have a few tricks up their sleeves is silly to me.  Season 6 of Buffy gave us an all timer in Tabula Rasa.  (and Once More with Feeling but I'm partial to Tabula Rasa.)  Season 9 of ER gave us When Night Meets Day and Seasons 12 and 13 gave us 21 Guns/Bloodline.  All of which could stack up with the event episodes of the hey day.  Season 8 of Friends gave us what I think is one of the best full seasons of the series.  Season 7 of the Office gave us Threat Level Midnight.  And so on and so on. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

WKRP In Cincinnati hit the ground running with a very solid ensemble cast of characters, and while Season 1 had a few clunker episodes, it was filled with terrific ones including:

Hold Up (Johnny's live remote at a stereo store is interrupted by a robber);

A Date with Jennifer (Jennifer agrees to accompany Les to an awards dinner),;

The Contest Nobody Could Win (Johnny mistakenly offers a $5,000.00 contest prize for identifying a song snippet medley);

Commercial Break (The staff records a Herb-written musical commercial for a funeral home);

Fish Story (As a reporter interviews Andy and Mr. Carlson, Les, Bailey and Herb (dressed as a Carp mascot) get arrested in a men's room brawl with the WPIG pig mascot);

My God we're all of thos episodes in the same season? Didn't it also include Les on a Ledge (a misunderstanding lead to him getting banned from the men's locker room for interviews after a ball game) and Hoodlum Rock (the 1st rock concert they ever hosted)?

I can't believe I forgot about WKRP. One of my all time favorites.  I've shown my kids and their friends and they all really liked it. Judging on the laughter and the "sure!", whenever I'd ask if they wanted to watch another one, I don't think they were bs-ing me, either.

I agree about The West Wing, too.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Thinking about drama shows I've liked, it's often the case that the first season is the best - The West Wing and Friday Night Lights are two shows that have near perfect first seasons

Yes!  And I enjoyed both for most of their runs.  TWW lost me with the final season reset though, I had no interest in the new cast and election stuff.  Putting old cast members in new jobs while sidelining others made me sad, even though it was inevitable that the timeframe for the original group had to expire.  On the other hand FNL brought me back with the new cast, especially Michael B Jordan.  The reset brought new life to the show when again, the timeframe with the original kids had to expire.  (The writers could only retcon their ages so many times.)  Both are in my top 5 favorite shows ever.

11 hours ago, Anduin said:

That suffers from what I call the Princess Bride syndrome. So hyped up by internet osmosis that when I get around to trying it, it's incredibly underwhelming. "Really? You were all going crazy over this?"

I hate comedies but this one still had me in tears when I last watched it.  Maybe nostalgia, I dunno, it was still hilarious.

Lost.  Still one of the best ever (also in my top 5) in spite of the hot mess that was the last season.  It may be a very UPO I loved the second season with all the craziness of the hatch and the numbers and quasi-mystic stuff.  It was goofy fun speculating what it all meant, even if the resolution was disappointing.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Thinking about drama shows I've liked, it's often the case that the first season is the best - The West Wing and Friday Night Lights are two shows that have near perfect first seasons, in my opinion

These two shows are two of my absolute favorite shows. I just did a re watch of WW a few months ago.  It really holds up.  I did enjoy the final season.  I like politics and I enjoyed watching the campaign.  Was it as good as the Sorkin years? No but still better than a good bit of what is put on TV today.  When I wrote for a blog when FNL was on a lot of people dismissed the show as that football show.  Friday Night Lights is about football the way Field of Dreams was about baseball.  That first season it was like watching a reality show where the people don't know they are being filmed. Everything was so authentic. It really was a small town and the people who lived there.

• Love 6

Original Dallas was my favorite show during its run. Well, except for the last two or three seasons after Victoria Principal, Barbara Bel Geddes, and Linda Gray left. I didn't recognize it anymore, and it wasn't the same show. But I stuck it out for Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy)

This show was such SOAPY GOODNESS! It's so sad that prime time soaps no longer exist, but even if they did, would we get scenes like this?

Of course this was the season where almost EVERYONE wanted JR DEAD! It took me awhile to separate that JR was NOT Major Tony Nelson!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Original Dallas was my favorite show during its run. Well, except for the last two or three seasons after Victoria Principal, Barbara Bel Geddes, and Linda Gray left. I didn't recognize it anymore, and it wasn't the same show. But I stuck it out for Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy)

This show was such SOAPY GOODNESS! It's so sad that prime time soaps no longer exist, but even if they did, would we get scenes like this?

Of course this was the season where almost EVERYONE wanted JR DEAD! It took me awhile to separate that JR was NOT Major Tony Nelson!

I'm in the middle of a re watch and about to start Pam's last season. The show really did change after she left.  Dallas during it's heyday was appt TV.  You couldn't wait to see what happens next.  

As mentioned by other posters the reboot focused too much on Elena and her family.  There was so much history to mine why they brought in a new character and her family was beyond me.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

As mentioned by other posters the reboot focused too much on Elena and her family.  There was so much history to mine why they brought in a new character and her family was beyond me.  

The reboot was a fucking insult. Because neither the maid or her family EXISTED in the original--and neither John Ross or Christopher "played" with Skeletor. Not to mention the trashing of Miss Ellie by the grandson who fucking took care of him while his parents' marriages imploded. I could go on and on, but I've vented my spleen about this over in the show's thread.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Dallas 2.0 wasn’t a reboot, it was a sequel. Dynasty 2.0 was an actual reboot.

That’s another things that bugs me, when people keep calling sequels reboots.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I love that one. Les going on about how everyone needs to arm themselves against the "Godless tornadoes"...XD. 

Not to be confused with the Monster lizzard ravaging the East Coast.

I still think about Johnny Fever talking about being in a mobile home during a tornado as a child - especially the bit about them getting really mobile.

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

As mentioned by other posters the reboot focused too much on Elena and her family.  There was so much history to mine why they brought in a new character and her family was beyond me

The showrunner hadn’t seen nor had she any interest in paying homage to the history or characters of Dallas. She just wanted to ride the coattails and use an established show with a large audience as a launchpad for what was essentially a completely different Original show. One that probably would never have been picked up on its own because it sucked.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

The showrunner hadn’t seen nor had she any interest in paying homage to the history or characters of Dallas. She just wanted to ride the coattails and use an established show with a large audience as a launchpad for what was essentially a completely different Original show. One that probably would never have been picked up on its own because it sucked.

giphy.gif

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

When I wrote for a blog when FNL was on a lot of people dismissed the show as that football show.  Friday Night Lights is about football the way Field of Dreams was about baseball.  That first season it was like watching a reality show where the people don't know they are being filmed. Everything was so authentic. It really was a small town and the people who lived there.

There is a 5 episode adaptation of Fredrik Backman's Beartown (Bjornstad) on HBO that gives hockey the FNL treatment.  It's good but a whole lot of the book was cut for the show.  Worth watching though.  (And I'm sorry there isn't a thread for it on Primetimer.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I'm still mad that the show made Rebecca loose twins for dramas sake. That's coming from someone who doesn't like babies all that much. I always thought if they were intent on her loosing a baby they could have let one of them survive. The way that storyline played out seemed especially cruel in regards to Rebecca's storyline. 

• Love 2
On 3/25/2021 at 12:21 PM, Irlandesa said:

I can't think of any sitcom where I thought the first season was the best.

I know this may be divisive amongst Monkees fans, but I'd always preferred the first season to the second (with some episode exceptions). 

The first season was a bit more conventional by 60s sitcom standards (including a laugh track, which was cut in Season 2), but I always thought it better highlighted the guys' relationships and friendships more.  Even in interviews, Micky Dolenz admitted that the "serious moments" better balanced out the "silly moments".   Much of that seemed to disappear by Season 2, since the tone seemed to be more "go for broke" and more psychedelic touches.

If it weren't for the BTS infighting (the guys wanting to call the shots on music, and more control over the show itself) the show could have gone for one more season as a sitcom.  The guys wanted to do a skit based show with music in between.  They were rejected and the show was killed right after Season 2.  Coincidentally (or not), NBC debuted "Laugh In" which was similar to the premise they wanted to do.  

• Love 3
On 3/28/2021 at 6:37 AM, Jaded said:

I'm still mad that the show made Rebecca loose twins for dramas sake. That's coming from someone who doesn't like babies all that much. I always thought if they were intent on her loosing a baby they could have let one of them survive. The way that storyline played out seemed especially cruel in regards to Rebecca's storyline

I also thought her own father orchestrating it was a bit jump the shark. Cliff was bad but he wasn’t that evil. It was just evil for the sake of being evil.

• Love 4

UO: I like Jennifer Lopez. I've never understood the amount of venom directed towards her. So what if she's dated or married several men? She is not the only single 50+ woman in the world. IMO, it reeks of sexism that women are given such shit about dating where as men can do whatever they want without a peep. As long as it's consensual, then what the fuck does it matter? Another subset of my UO is that I really don't see the humor in Mariah Carey making fun of or casually insulting Jennifer Lopez. It makes Mariah look petty, IMO. J.Lo is living in her head rent free, and you *never* hear J.Lo talking about her. J.Lo is living her best life. Finally, I think she's a good actor, and I think her singing voice is just fine. Yes, she's made some mistakes in the past, but she's acknowledged them. She's on the cover of this month's InStyle magazine, and I think it's telling that a lot of people who know her from different aspects of her life were willing to be interviewed and said nothing but positive things about her. I can't think of anyone who's said anything bad about her. On another note, if I have the body she has when I'm 51, you can best believe that I will be shamelessly showing it off, LOL. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

UO: I like Jennifer Lopez. I've never understood the amount of venom directed towards her. So what if she's dated or married several men? She is not the only single 50+ woman in the world. IMO, it reeks of sexism that women are given such shit about dating where as men can do whatever they want without a peep. As long as it's consensual, then what the fuck does it matter? Another subset of my UO is that I really don't see the humor in Mariah Carey making fun of or casually insulting Jennifer Lopez. It makes Mariah look petty, IMO. J.Lo is living in her head rent free, and you *never* hear J.Lo talking about her. J.Lo is living her best life. Finally, I think she's a good actor, and I think her singing voice is just fine. Yes, she's made some mistakes in the past, but she's acknowledged them. She's on the cover of this month's InStyle magazine, and I think it's telling that a lot of people who know her from different aspects of her life were willing to be interviewed and said nothing but positive things about her. I can't think of anyone who's said anything bad about her. On another note, if I have the body she has when I'm 51, you can best believe that I will be shamelessly showing it off, LOL. 

I kind of love that she screwed over those grifting strippers that drugged those men. I think in a lot of ways JLo is our eras Marilyn Monroe or even the next iteration of Madonna - someone with a lot of sex appeal and charisma. The only bad thing is I feel she displaced the other trailblazing BIPOC performer, Janet Jackson (but that isn't JLo's fault), since there is a lot of overlap between the two of them.

• Love 1

Is liking JO really an unpopular opinion? If anything, I find the opposite true.

I don't actively like or dislike her, but I do give her credit for going as far as she has based on her talents. She isn't a thespian or a vocalist, but she does know how to put on a good performance, so good for her.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Is liking JO really an unpopular opinion?

Yes, which is why I shared it in this thread.

26 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

She isn't a thespian or a vocalist,

I don't understand this. A thespian is an actor. She acts. A vocalist is a singer. She sings. 

• Love 2

Yes, which is why I shared it in this thread.

Maybe unpopular here, but in the real world, she seems beloved.

I don't understand this. A thespian is an actor. She acts. A vocalist is a singer. She sings. 

I guess better to say she is neither a thespian nor a vocalist of any considerable measure.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Maybe unpopular here, but in the real world, she seems beloved.

I guess better to say she is neither a thespian nor a vocalist of any considerable measure.

I have the right to share my UO, and I stand by it and the fact that it’s a UO.

• Love 2