Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Yes, which is why I shared it in this thread.

I don't understand this. A thespian is an actor. She acts. A vocalist is a singer. She sings. 

IM (possibly U)O, re Miss Lopez: passably if not barely. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Yes, which is why I shared it in this thread.

I don't understand this. A thespian is an actor. She acts. A vocalist is a singer. She sings. 

Ashanti, Christina Milian and many session vocalists may disagree. I like J Lo. She hustles and performs. I actually think she's a pretty good actor. I have always been bothered by her music career because of things like having other people sing her choruses regularly, stealing that sample from Mariah and using the n-word in one of her songs. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

J Lo isn't talented enough to not be popular. If she weren't "popular" she would have long ago faded into obscurity. She's an okay singer, she's an okay actor but people love her so she stays relevant and marketable. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

I don't care who permanently, or temporarily for that matter, hosts Jeopardy. 

I only care that they can read the questions competently.  It's all about the game to me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

Neither do I.  But then again, I never got the idolization of Alex Trebek.  Just ask the questions and don't try to be funny.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I'm relieved that Dr. Oz's stint's over and I hope they NEVER have him attempt that again! As for  the others they've had do the job, I can take or leave.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I'm relieved that Dr. Oz's stint's over and I hope they NEVER have him attempt that again! As for  the others they've had do the job, I can take or leave.

Yeah.  I didn't catch the Dr. Oz weeks but I agree about not wanting him on principle.  But as for the others, I'm good.  Just read the clues.  And I do kind of like seeing different people take over, but I'm not married to the idea of any one person.  I care more about the game.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Leeds said:

Neither do I.  But then again, I never got the idolization of Alex Trebek.  Just ask the questions and don't try to be funny.

I never really thought he was funny, but I thought he was often patronizing and condescending as all hell to the contestants. 

• Love 7

Watching parks and rec for the first time and have the following observations that I think could be UO:

I find Leslie and Ben cute in Parks and Rec but a bit too earnest. I really dislike any episode that focuses too much on them such as their engagement or wedding. I prefer Andy and April as they can do genuine without having to go too over the top emotional.

I preferred Leslie in earlier seasons. I think the show becomes a bit too hell bent on telling us rather then showing us that how great she is the longer it goes on. Apparently she’s only reason any of them are able to achieve anything according to at least one character per episode. 

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I never really thought he was funny, but I thought he was often patronizing and condescending as all hell to the contestants. 

I didn't mind Alex but I find Pat Sajak condescending. I hated Bob Barker he was horrible to the original three models.

• Love 6
On 4/5/2021 at 9:59 PM, PepSinger said:

Another subset of my UO is that I really don't see the humor in Mariah Carey making fun of or casually insulting Jennifer Lopez. It makes Mariah look petty, IMO. J.Lo is living in her head rent free, and you *never* hear J.Lo talking about her. J.Lo is living her best life.

Maybe you should read about how Tommy Mottola created Jennifer Lopez's career, stealing other artists's songs to do so, as a way to get revenge on Mariah Carey after she divorced him.  Music executives admit this to be true, it's not rumour.  

https://toofab.com/2020/09/29/mariah-carey-jlo-jennifer-lopez-memoir-tommy-mottola/

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I didn't mind Alex but I find Pat Sajak condescending. I hated Bob Barker he was horrible to the original three models.

It wasn't just the Wheel contestants he's been condescending to.  In 1993, he ambushed Angie Dickinson (who thought she was going to participate in a documentary about Brian De Palma) and sprung on her that they were going to do This is Your Life on her behalf! Despite loudly and adamantly saying no fewer than four times that she refused to participate, he told the audience that they'd talk her into it.  He then brought the show's founder Ralph Edwards to try to pressure her but she didn't cave. Finally as she made her exit, he actually said "I still love you!" UGH! Good for Miss Dickinson to stand her ground and not be steamrolled by all that! 

Oh, and I've not forgotten how he treated his onetime former  local news colleague Dan Miller as a brainless patsy sidekick when doing The Pat Sajak Show (1989-1990).

• Useful 2

Omg, JLo in that interview comes off as so completely pretentious that I thought it was parody.  I am sure Claire Danes was so happy to get JLo’s acting notes.  Cannot roll my eyes hard enough.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I can think of a lot of people she's said bad things about, though:

Cameron Diaz, Salma Hayek, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, Winona Ryder, etc.......

What an asshole.

I am sure Claire Danes was so happy to get JLo’s acting notes.

You know she was waiting by the door for the mailman to deliver those notes lol

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

http://forum.beyond-beautiful.com/movieline-1998-t3206.html

I remember all of this! lol 

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe you should read about how Tommy Mottola created Jennifer Lopez's career, stealing other artists's songs to do so, as a way to get revenge on Mariah Carey after she divorced him.  Music executives admit this to be true, it's not rumour.  

https://toofab.com/2020/09/29/mariah-carey-jlo-jennifer-lopez-memoir-tommy-mottola/

Yep. Unlike Jennifer, Mariah really only ever says something if someone has wronged her one way or another. I remember Madonna made a comment about her many years ago, so she threw some shade at Madonna. I also remember her beef with Eminem, and I can't blame her for that either. Mariah is a kind person, but I think with her, what you see is what you get. She's not all smiley and pretending to love everyone, but she's a good girl. I think she's quite kindhearted, and honestly, funny. Anyone remember how she answered say nice things about Eminem on WWHL? lol I find her personality so interesting. She's sweet, but she can give an awesome clawback. She has a sexy image, but there's an innocence about her and she's very protective of herself.

I also may be partial to Mariah because she's the more talented of the two. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm guessing she didn't have a publicist present for this interview.  A lot of times when a woman is confident she is called a bitch and I think that is totally uncalled for. But in this instance.......

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm pretty sure when a woman is confident she doesn't go on a tirade insulting all of her direct peers in the same industry.

Entertainment media always wants to pit women against each other.  Ms. Lopez is not the first nor the last actress to take the bait.  I remember reading a profile of Kristen Dunst in the early aughts where she did the same.  I don't believe the actresses intend to say these things when they sit down for the interview.  The "journalist" pokes and prods them until they spill.  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't believe the actresses intend to say these things when they sit down for the interview.  The "journalist" pokes and prods them until they spill.  

Did you read the beginning of the article of how she started the interview by having him watch her get a massage?  She wasn’t tricked into anything.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Entertainment media always wants to pit women against each other.  Ms. Lopez is not the first nor the last actress to take the bait.  I remember reading a profile of Kristen Dunst in the early aughts where she did the same.  I don't believe the actresses intend to say these things when they sit down for the interview.  The "journalist" pokes and prods them until they spill.  

There's truth to this. In Kirsten's defense, I only remember her being, uh candid, when she was in her teens/early 20s max. J.Lo doesn't look her age so I think it can throw people off, but even in 98, she was no kid. She was a year shy of 30. 

40 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Did you read the beginning of the article of how she started the interview by having him watch her get a massage?  She wasn’t tricked into anything.

LOL, now this I don't remember! Why would she do that?

• Love 2

You have to read it; hubby and I couldn’t stop laughing.  Here is just a sample: 

[quote] Lopez greets me with the slow, languid smile and half-mast gaze of someone not entirely anxious to surface from a better-than-life dream. "Hi, Stephen," she says. "I'll be with you in a second." Then, responding to the masseuse's skillful ministrations, her lips part in sensual abandon, and she turns her head away, sending her hair cascading over the side of the chaise.

This classic Hollywood star tableau has, of course, been orchestrated by Lopez for my benefit. She knows that I know that she knows that I know the whole scene is deliberate, right down to the supporting players - assistants, various friends, family - arranged here and there around the pool, ready to do a star's bidding. [/quote]

It is so OTT Ava Gardner/Rita Hayworth wannabe behavior that when you add in her critiques of her fellow actors (Claire Danes - “A good actress. Her emotional and inner life are available to her, which is a good start. But I feel like I see a lot of the same thing with every character she does.”) you find yourself wondering how Gwyneth got called pretentious and JLo got “Jenny from the block.”

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Well she coined herself Jenny from the block. Nobody else gave her that nickname or ever referred to her as that. I think she hoped it would catch on when she was trying to be ghetto and relatable but it didn’t..

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ah the infamous Movieline interview. I too remember it well. I also remember how she talked about sending apology letters to all the women and the tea later on was that Winona Ryder and Gwyneth Paltrow, who were still BFFs at the time, compared notes and realized it was essentially the same letter. No idea if that was true but it always amused me to imagine it actually happening.

That interview was a quintessential reminder of the old adage that the journalist is never your friend. No matter how chummy and cool and friendly the vibe of the interview, celebrities need to always be on their guard of what they say because sometimes the most flippant, off-hand comment can end up becoming the entire headline of an article.

But what always surprised me the most about that mess was that Jennifer of all people would allow herself to fall in that trap. She may not have been the superstar she is now but from jump that woman, no matter what you think about her, always seemed shrewd and savvy as hell. So to be so sloppy as to get herself caught trashing a bunch of other actresses in an interview was just odd.

Personally, I'm mostly indifferent to J Lo, Not a fan but don't actively dislike her either. As many have said she's the definition of the phrase, "doer of all, master of none". So she's an okay actress, mediocre singer and really good dancer. But by all accounts she's a hard worker and girlfriend is a hustler (no pun intended). 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Michael Jackson. I mean, assuming you believe the theory he came up with it himself...

Came up with what, the King of Pop moniker? Because actually in his infamous 1992 interview with Oprah, he talked about that and said Elizabeth Taylor was the first person to call him that and then the media and fans ran with it. And there is video of Elizabeth Taylor presenting him some award where she says it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Well she coined herself Jenny from the block. Nobody else gave her that nickname or ever referred to her as that. I think she hoped it would catch on when she was trying to be ghetto and relatable but it didn’t..

I know plenty of people that call her that. I've seen it several times.

Also, I don't particularly care about an interview from 1998. It's 2021. People can change and things change. *shrug* I care a hell of a lot more about what people who work and interact with her on an ongoing basis think about her as I stated when I linked to that InStyle interview. 

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Came up with what, the King of Pop moniker? Because actually in his infamous 1992 interview with Oprah, he talked about that and said Elizabeth Taylor was the first person to call him that and then the media and fans ran with it. And there is video of Elizabeth Taylor presenting him some award where she says it. 

That was how I remember it and while my circle laughed at "King of pop" because on this side of the Atlantic "pop" generally was thought of as the pre "rock" era styles. That in American English we used Rock when the British said pop.

Came up with what, the King of Pop moniker?

Yeah, since just as many people in articles would label him "the self-proclaimed King of Pop", I assumed that was something he himself came up with.

It's 2021.

I just hope that Mariah finally knows her.

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

I know plenty of people that call her that. I've seen it several times.

Also, I don't particularly care about an interview from 1998. It's 2021. People can change and things change. *shrug* I care a hell of a lot more about what people who work and interact with her on an ongoing basis think about her as I stated when I linked to that InStyle interview. 

I don't think Jennifer should be defined by an ancient interview. I agree that it seems almost everyone who's met her says she's actually nice. She doesn't have an Ellen type of reputation. I don't think malicious. Maybe she just had a bad day? 

The stuff she said in the interview will forever be eye roll worthy though. lol For those who are unfamiliar with it, she said Salma was nothing but a sex bombshell. From the movies I've seen of theirs', to me they're both beautiful women who can act but not exactly Meryl Streep. I will never get how anyone thought Hustlers was worthy of any Oscar buzz. She said Gwyneth was famous for her relationships and not her work. Jennifer was amazing in Selena, but most of her work is not memorable either. When she was first becoming really famous, I remember mostly hearing about Diddy, her ass, and her boobs falling out of her dresses. She said Madonna is a great performer but not a great actress, unlike herself. lol She's always gotten annoyed when people didn't take her seriously as a singer. Many years ago she went up to Jamie Foxx and confronted him about making jokes about her not being able to sing. He was like, well 🤷‍♂️... lol She strikes me as someone who is extremely confident about her own abilities and work but very critical of others. She's since learned not to share her thoughts with the entire world about her peers, which is good enough for me. J.Lo thinking she's this super special talent above everyone else is probably part of why she's so successful. There are people more talented than her out there who lack that confidence it takes to make it in Hollywood. Acting and dance are hobbies of mine, so maybe that's why I'm not blown away by her talent. I know so many brilliant, natural actors and dancers. They're both skills that look easier than they are, but most of us can become pretty good with training and practice. (I'm shy and not natural at either, sadly. My teachers were/are patient and awesome!) I think the other part of her success is she enjoys celebrity. I love the craft of acting, but being a celeb never appealed to me. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 9
On 4/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, Crs97 said:

But I feel like I see a lot of the same thing with every character she does.”) you find yourself wondering how Gwyneth got called pretentious and JLo got “Jenny from the block.”

Speaking of Gwyneth, she's always posting nice and funny things like this comment on Jennifer Aniston's IG.  I like her camaraderie.  That's one of her ex's exes.  It's just nice.  I like Gwyneth!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.12.02 PM.png

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Speaking of Gwyneth, she's always posting nice and funny things like this comment on Jennifer Aniston's IG.  I like her camaraderie.  That's one of her ex's exes.  It's just nice.  I like Gwyneth!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 6.12.02 PM.png

That's funny! Now she's one where I really don't understand why there's so much hate. I don't remember her having any terrible interviews or anything. The times I've seen her, she's always seemed like a harmless lady who wants to do yoga and eat super healthy. More power to her. 

• Love 3

I think it's more eye-rolling than hate, at certain perceived pretentiousness, like using conscious uncoupling instead of just saying she and her husband broke up. Also naming your kids after fruits, though I guess apple is a better name than kumquat...

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8