Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I never liked Sherlock. Especially everyone’s favourite moriarty. The bbc Sherlock was never about a good detective solving cases but about the super genius, awesomeness personified Sherlock Holmes who has girls and a super villain obsessed with him. 

I always see people drooling over what an amazing charismatic villain their moriarty is but I could never see him as anything beyond a parody of Heath ledger’s joker. He never seemed menacing. Just an annoying dude making annoying faces. And I am so done with show villains being all powerful with the only explanation given for it as “He’s crazy”. That’s just lazy.

I didn’t hate season 4 as much as most people but only because I never liked the first three either. So even if it was totally unhinged, it seemed pretty in their league to me. 

• Love 10

I feel like my opinion on this topic is so unpopular there may only be at max two other people not involved with the show who share it, but I was glad they killed Logan in the Season 4 finale of Veronica Mars. Delighted, even. I always hated that guy and his relationship with Veronica being shoved down our throats.

• Love 8

This may be an UO because I used to love her, but now I find I tend to roll my eyes when she speaks - Oprah has overstayed her welcome.  She is not a great interviewer; she keeps interrupting her guests so that she can remind them, and her audience, she is so much more evolved than the rest of us.  

Read how she explains the question she regrets asking Sally Fields (spoiler alert-it was her producers’ fault and she wasn’t enlightened enough to buck them). https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/tv/oprah-winfrey-talks-interview-question-sally-field-burt-reynolds/%3Famp%3Dtrue

I think she is smart and very good at what she does, but I am not sure I think she is as awesome as she continually tells me she is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

“She is not a great interviewer; she keeps interrupting her guests so that she can remind them, and her audience, she is so much more evolved than the rest of us.”

Reminds me of how Tyra Banks would always try to one-up her own guests. Any time a guest was giving their own sob story, Tyra would always chime in about much worse she had it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Abra said:

I feel like my opinion on this topic is so unpopular there may only be at max two other people not involved with the show who share it, but I was glad they killed Logan in the Season 4 finale of Veronica Mars. Delighted, even. I always hated that guy and his relationship with Veronica being shoved down our throats.

I wasn't 'glad' they killed him but I hated logan and veronica together from the beginning.  They were always horrible together.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I wasn't 'glad' they killed him but I hated logan and veronica together from the beginning.  They were always horrible together.  

1 hour ago, Abra said:

MY PEOPLE!!!!

I hated Logan, Veronica's initial impression of him as "an obligatory, psychotic jackass" was 100% on point.

Dick Casablancas is pure evil, Madison Sinclair's just a petty bitch, but it pisses me off that we're meant to hate the latter more than the former.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 10:23 AM, Crs97 said:

This may be an UO because I used to love her, but now I find I tend to roll my eyes when she speaks - Oprah has overstayed her welcome.  She is not a great interviewer; she keeps interrupting her guests so that she can remind them, and her audience, she is so much more evolved than the rest of us.  

Read how she explains the question she regrets asking Sally Fields (spoiler alert-it was her producers’ fault and she wasn’t enlightened enough to buck them). https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/tv/oprah-winfrey-talks-interview-question-sally-field-burt-reynolds/%3Famp%3Dtrue

I think she is smart and very good at what she does, but I am not sure I think she is as awesome as she continually tells me she is.

Can I  say that I don't believe that Miss Winfrey was a helpless pawn in her producers' hands at that point of her career. Didn't she already own (or was on the way to owning ) her own show ?  If someone can find evidence my timing's off here, please share it with us but, if not, then Miss Winfrey needs to accept that she herself was solely responsible for asking Miss Field that self-imploding question! Was Miss Winfrey and/or the producers trying to get Miss Field to  ape Mary Tyler Moore's Laura Petrie in  the Dick Van Dyke Show when an interviewer got her to blab about Alan Brady's toupee?

Of course, if she's not fawning over celebs who worship her, then she seems to think she knows more about other people's experiences than the people who actually lived through said experiences. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 5/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Do you know I don't think I've ever 'met' anyone who held this opinion.  There had to be one!  Poor Dick Sargent!!

I liked him better but that's probably because I saw his episodes first.

7 hours ago, JimmyJabloon said:

I never liked Sherlock. Especially everyone’s favourite moriarty. The bbc Sherlock was never about a good detective solving cases but about the super genius, awesomeness personified Sherlock Holmes who has girls and a super villain obsessed with him. 

I always see people drooling over what an amazing charismatic villain their moriarty is but I could never see him as anything beyond a parody of Heath ledger’s joker. He never seemed menacing. Just an annoying dude making annoying faces. And I am so done with show villains being all powerful with the only explanation given for it as “He’s crazy”. That’s just lazy.

I didn’t hate season 4 as much as most people but only because I never liked the first three either. So even if it was totally unhinged, it seemed pretty in their league to me. 

I hated that Moriarty.  I thought the actor was terrible.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I did love BBC's Sherlock (well, some of it, mostly the Mark Gatiss episodes NOT the Steven Moffat episodes) but OMG that Moriarty was laughably bad. When he would do his sing songy voice I actually cracked up, which is not what you really want in a Big Bad. 

Of course the only thing worse than their Moriarty was their Irene Adler! YIKES was that a baaaaaad idea. (Steven Moffat ep, not shocking) Almost as mad as Euros. I swear I like the show. lol I just hated pretty much all of their villains. 

• Love 12

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Agreed. I really don't get the fuss over Andrew Scott.

I really hated everything about Sherlock, from making Sherlock Holmes a slimy sociopath, to the embarrassing over-production, to the flaming train wreck that was Moriarty and Irene Adler.

For God's sake, I think the movie Young Sherlock Holmes was a more faithful adaptation (not to mention more fun)!

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I've been off Oprah for quite some time, but I was especially ticked off when she did a "tribute" to Mary Tyler Moore -- except it was really about how much Oprah appreciated MTM. I turned it off 10 minutes in.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I've been off Oprah for quite some time, but I was especially ticked off when she did a "tribute" to Mary Tyler Moore -- except it was really about how much Oprah appreciated MTM. I turned it off 10 minutes in.

I was never into Oprah, and she also gave a huge platform to Jenny McCarthy and her anti-science bullshit that probably got people killed so she actually kind of sucks.

• Love 13
(edited)
10 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I was never into Oprah, and she also gave a huge platform to Jenny McCarthy and her anti-science bullshit that probably got people killed so she actually kind of sucks.

Actually, the second Miss McCarthy first opened her mouth way back when on MTV and revealed that she was a crass, tacky, classless person despite her then-stunning exterior put me off long before. Yeah, I know that was shallow on my part.

The above said, regardless of what Miss McCarthy has said or otherwise done, I DO feel sorry for her being fated to have an autistic child because, no matter what else , having to be a parent and/or caregiver for one  is a very tough row to hoe and no picnic for anyone! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

For God's sake, I think the movie Young Sherlock Holmes was a more faithful adaptation (not to mention more fun)!

Me:  Who the fuck is Andrew Scott?

*Googles*

Me: Oh that guy.

Yeah, I never understood the hype.  I remember watching Fleabag after hearing all about the 'hot priest' and waiting for said hot guy to appear and it was.... this guy?  He was barely tepid. 

And now you made me want to go re-watch Young Sherlock Holmes which I remember loving back in the day.  My UO is that I generically dislike most modern Sherlock Holmes adaptations, homages, "inspired by", use of the characters in anything... etc.  But Young Sherlock Holmes is an exception.

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

I remember Anne Rice aggressively being anti fan fiction to the point of her lawyers threatening to out people to their employers.

Anne Rice's anti-fan fic is the croutons on top of the shit salad she serves up to fans on the regular.  She is an asshole to anyone who doesn't automatically fawn all over authors.  Anyone even mildly critical of an author or even gives a negative review of a book is targeted by her.  And she doesn;t limit that shit to her own books.  She is an awful human being.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Oprah is responsible for the twin curses of Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz, two enormous quacks who have also done enormous harm.  The disgusting Antivaxer McCarthy on top of that is indeed enraging (although not as much as McCarthy being back on TV on a lucrative hit show and nobody seeming to care that she's not facing career consequences for her radical bullshit). 

• Love 21

“Yeah, I never understood the hype.  I remember watching Fleabag after hearing all about the 'hot priest' and waiting for said hot guy to appear and it was.... this guy?  He was barely tepid.”

Amen.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Anne Rice's anti-fan fic is the croutons on top of the shit salad she serves up to fans on the regular.  She is an asshole to anyone who doesn't automatically fawn all over authors.  Anyone even mildly critical of an author or even gives a negative review of a book is targeted by her.  And she doesn;t limit that shit to her own books.  She is an awful human being.

I guess she and JK Rowling have jointly helped remind us in recent years that authors are no more immune to being terrible people than any other kind of public figure. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I guess she and JK Rowling have jointly helped remind us in recent years that authors are no more immune to being terrible people than any other kind of public figure. 

What did JK Rowling do that was terrible?

But, no, of course not.  Authors, actors, musicians, etc, are all just people and they're going to run the gamut.

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

And now you made me want to go re-watch Young Sherlock Holmes which I remember loving back in the day.  My UO is that I generically dislike most modern Sherlock Holmes adaptations, homages, "inspired by", use of the characters in anything... etc.  But Young Sherlock Holmes is an exception.

I'm sure purists have issues with Young Sherlock Holmes (the fantasy elements, Holmes and Watson being the same age, etc), but Nicholas Rowe had a great look and is everything you want in a teenage Holmes: intelligent, cocky, wet behind the ears, equally caring of the mystery and other people.

In any case, the liberties taken in Young Sherlock Holmes aren't nearly as offensive to me as the ones from Sherlock (hell, at least Young Sherlock Holmes tells a cohesive, satisfying story).

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, no, of course not.  Authors, actors, musicians, etc, are all just people and they're going to run the gamut.

JK Rowling is horrifically anti-trans and more.

Do we need any reminders that authors can be assholes? Did anyone ever think they were immune to that? 

Every version of Sherlock sucks, especially the original.

• Love 4

So so so so sooooo much this! When I was a teen I loved her books. I'm so ashamed. She is such a shit human. She's so heinous I can't enjoy her stories anymore. 

17 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Every version of Sherlock sucks, especially the original.

I think one of the reasons I liked BBC's Sherlock is that I don't actually care for the Sherlock in general. The books are...okay. The Downey Jr movies? give me a forking break! Young Sherlock was alright. I'm not at all a Sherlock purist. I like the idea of him, the whole hyper observant loner. So I don't mind all the changes, and found Martin Freeman's Watson and utter delight. And have an embarrassingly massive crush on Mark Gatiss' Mycroft. I also love listening to Benny Batch speak, so as a bit of moderately entertaining fluff, I find BBC's Sherlock works for me quite well. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Really?  I had no idea.  All I had heard was that she said that biological sex was real and bathrooms should be kept separate.  Sad to hear that she's actually hateful.

• Love 1

Rowling has been really openly terrible lately, but I got pretty fed up with her before then when she kept retroactively adding stuff nobody wanted or need to the Harry Potter world. I'd read stuff she said and think it was a parody before realizing, no, she actually said that. Like informing us about how wizards used to shit on the floor. Nobody. Asked. For. That. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Really?  I had no idea.  All I had heard was that she said that biological sex was real and bathrooms should be kept separate.  Sad to hear that she's actually hateful.

As much as I disagree with those initial positions, she could have gotten away with them as intolerant but quirky if she hadn't kept doubling down after the public reacted to it.  She wasn't willing to let it go. People might have mostly forgotten about it if she had. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Do we need any reminders that authors can be assholes? Did anyone ever think they were immune to that? 

Not a bit.  There is an 'Author Antics' topic in the Books forum on here where just some of the recent examples are discussed.  But In Romancelandia even before twitter was a gleam in Jack's eye, bad author behavior receipts have been printed, saved, passed around and re-printed as needed.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Not a bit.  There is an 'Author Antics' topic in the Books forum on here where just some of the recent examples are discussed.  But In Romancelandia even before twitter was a gleam in Jack's eye, bad author behavior receipts have been printed, saved, passed around and re-printed as needed.

I didn't know that thread existed! Scurrying off to find it now. Thank you! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

55 minutes ago, Kromm said:

As much as I disagree with those initial positions, she could have gotten away with them as intolerant but quirky if she hadn't kept doubling down after the public reacted to it.  She wasn't willing to let it go. People might have mostly forgotten about it if she had. 

That's always the key part. She could have said, 'oh I misspoke, you know sometimes with only 280 characters on twitter you can put your foot in your mouth. Trans people should be protected equally under the law like anyone else. Sorry. My bad.' 

Same with Carano, and now she's out a job. Not because of what she said. Because of tue doubling down. 

Everyone would have moved on. I'm continually amazed at how people can't put a modicum of effort into an apology. That's all you need. 

Of course, Rowling still cashes checks, so she probably doesn't care. I'm not going to make a dent in her wallet, but I've never spent money on her and won't. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I think one of the reasons I liked BBC's Sherlock is that I don't actually care for the Sherlock in general. The books are...okay.

I liked the PBS masterpiece version in the 80s. 

What I think is essential to Sherlock is the quirkiness of the cases. It's just too weird for the police so they have to call him in. It doesn't matter the era, olden times or modern (and I do give the BBC version credit for using phones, etc., in a modern era), but the cases have to have that out there character. I do prefer an older time because you don't have easy access to phones and information. I'd say Monk probably worked well because he isn't the person who would use a phone. 

I liked the BBC version because the leads were fantastic together, and I prefer competent Watson to the bumbling version. I don't mind that they made him unlikeable, though they could veer a little too much there. The first series was probably the most even in that terms.

I think adaptations are fine because Watson was the original narrator and he doesn't say much about Sherlock at all. You can create so many characterizations. He's smart and remembers a lot and is hyper observant. That's really the essential traits. 

They obviously do run into problems with not a lot of women in the stories, so adaptations can run into trouble there. Again, BBC had the coroner be a woman, so you can do things like that. I mean, they could make Lestat a woman too for a modern version. I don't know about Watson. I suppose. Nowadays writers aren't good enough to hold off on the will they/won't they. I suppose Watson could be a second cousin though. 

With Moriarity always somewhat in the background in the books, they could easily make the character female. It could be a cool reveal if played right. Maybe you have her in disguise as a guy a few times and then the big reveal. Totally Tatiana Maslany could pull that off. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's always the key part. She could have said, 'oh I misspoke, you know sometimes with only 280 characters on twitter you can put your foot in your mouth. Trans people should be protected equally under the law like anyone else. Sorry. My bad.' 

I am always willing to give someone a second chance when they say something ignorant. Not everyone has the same exposure to different lifestyles, or has the same experiences, etc. It is the doubling down that is my line in the sand. When someone isn't willing to learn and expand your knowledge and you just stand by your initial ignorance I just have little use for them. 

• Love 10

Exactly. No profession is immune from assholes, and there have always been ways to pass that information around.

I can’t get into the Sherlock debate, because as I mentioned, I think they are all frankly silly. Sherlock is just a so silly in all versions. 

More unpopular opinions! Couldn’t make it through ten minutes of Buffy and I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything. Same with Seinfeld. One episode of The Honeymooners and I almost went rage blind. What a piece of trash that show was. 

I liked the ending of Lost

• Love 2

“Idon't know about Watson. I suppose. Nowadays writers aren't good enough to hold off on the will they/won't they. Isuppose Watson could be a second cousinthough. 

With Moriarity always somewhat in the background in the books, they could easily make the character female. It could be a cool reveal if played right. Maybe you have her in disguise as a guy a few times and then the big reveal. Totally Tatiana Maslany could pull that off.”

Elementary already did Watson and Moriarty as women.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

To be honest, I always tend to assume, until proven otherwise, that authors share their protagonists values at least to some degree. If the book's message is about how intolerance is bad, I would not expect the author to be intolerant.

My UO about Sherlock is that I never cared much for the books or previous adaptation but I really liked RDJ's movies and BBC Sherlock (seasons 1 and 2 at least).

• Love 5

I liked the ending of Lost

It's one of my fave TV show endings ever. 

I think everyone has moved on but I thought Andrew Scott was sexy as hell as Hot Priest but when I saw him as himself I was like OK no lol. So weird.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think everyone has moved on but I thought Andrew Scott was sexy as hell as Hot Priest but when I saw him as himself I was like OK no lol. So weird.

I think a lot of the whole Hot Priest thing was the Priest part, the taboo of it. Also, it wasn't about looks so much as he "got" her, he saw through her forth wall stuff, etc. But just to look at him, he's not bad looking, but he's not OMGHAWT!!!!!!! to me either (but I have VERY weird taste in men so don't go by me).

He, Andrew Scott, does seem like he'd be a lot of fun to hang out with though, get a few drinks. I have liked him in interviews, which does make him hotter, just not at Hot Priest or Moriarty. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I think a lot of the whole Hot Priest thing was the Priest part, the taboo of it. Also, it wasn't about looks so much as he "got" her, he saw through her forth wall stuff, etc.

I don't think it was the priest thing at all for me but yea it was definitely his personality/demeaner/manner that was hot more so than his looks.

I haven't seen him all that much at all but he's borderline unsexy to me as himself lol. 

I've never seen him as an actor in anything but Fleabag.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Actually, the second Miss McCarthy first opened her mouth way back when on MTV and revealed that she was a crass, tacky, classless person despite her then-stunning exterior put me off long before. Yeah, I know that was shallow on my part.

I have two on the spectrum.  I was with one of them at library circle time when another mom thought we would become friends if she commented on my child and recommend McCarthy’s book.  I told her thanks, but I liked my medical advice to come from people who studied medicine rather than became famous for nude photos in a magazine.  We did not become friends.  Shocking, I know.

Ugh, I forgot Oprah gave her such a platform, but I guess it fit with her new-agey direction and Jenny was probably happy to slobber all over her.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I mean, they could make Lestat a woman too for a modern version...

You mean Lestrade, right? Because Lestat would make for a very different Sherlock Holmes story! 😄

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 5/17/2021 at 5:16 AM, Crs97 said:

My favorite Lestrade was the BBC version.  Greg was a delight, not the buffoon he is sometimes shown to be.

Well, looking like Rupert Graves also didn't hurt.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I did not, but I DID like the ending of The Sopranos.

I didn't like it when it first aired. I like millions of other people thought my cable went out.  But upon further reflection I like it.  Life goes on. Or doesn't.  We are left to decide for ourselves what happened.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I didn't like it when it first aired. I like millions of other people thought my cable went out.  But upon further reflection I like it.  Life goes on. Or doesn't.  We are left to decide for ourselves what happened.

That is sort of where I am. I always figured that the ambiguous ending was like an insurance policy for David Chase. Like if he ever needs more money he just revives the show and tells more stories about Tony Soprano. If he doesn't need money he is happy with people assuming Tony is dead. Except now James Gandolfini is dead so his insurance policy is the Sopranos prequel movie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't really care that much about the ending, but it reads to me like Chase got a little too full of himself and 'arty' or whatever. 

What I did like, and agree with is the figurative sword over Tony's head every second of every day, so he can't even just relax and get onion rings with his family. It really underscored Tony as a tragic figure, and you can see why he'd have all this anxiety. But he knows this and still goes out for onion rings. 

They just as easily could have ended with Meadow sitting down and Tony pushing the basket over to her. Because people would say, 'that's it? They just ate onion rings?' That's the point. 

I do agree with Chase that viewers screeching for Tony to be whacked says more about them than the show. 

I do recommend The Sopranos Sessions by two journalists from the local newspaper shown on the show. They covered the show in the paper irl during its run. They have an extensive interview with Chase about the ending. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/15/2021 at 9:47 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

He was quite good in the movie Pride, but otherwise, meh at best, terrible at worst.  And not the least bit hot despite what Fleabag tried to tell me.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:00 PM, Mabinogia said:

I did love BBC's Sherlock

I didn't love it but did enjoy it at first.  The second season, not so much other than Watson's wedding.  (Or was that the third season, I forget.)  But after that, no way.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, Mabinogia said:

The Downey Jr movies?

The first one was enjoyable.  The second one, not.  But Young Sherlock Holmes was fantastic; I didn't care one bit that it didn't follow the canon faithfully.  The only remaining good thing about the BBC Sherlock is Rupert Graves as Lestrade.  The only thing I ever liked about Elementary was Sean Pertwee's Lestrade.  (Hmmm, maybe I just like hot men playing Lestrade?)

2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I never watched The Sopranos, so I didn't actually see the finale.  But I like the idea of the ending for precisely this reason.

The ending of Lost sucked - not an unpopular opinion, I know - but the final shot of Jack and the dog was terrific.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

do recommend The Sopranos Sessions by two journalists from the local newspaper shown on the show. They covered the show in the paper irl during its run. They have an extensive interview with Chase about the ending. 

I will check that out. I have read The Future Will Be Televised also by Alan Sepinwall, in the chapter about The Sopranos he outlines why he doesn't think Tony was killed at the end and brings up a bunch of logical points. The big one is how it wasn't really a show about shocking mysterious twists out of no where, so it wouldn't make sense to pull that at the end.

• Useful 2
52 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The ending of Lost sucked - not an unpopular opinion, I know - but the final shot of Jack and the dog was terrific.

I give them credit for that, but otherwise, the only reason I enjoyed the end is because TPTB basically copped to the "GRAND PLAN" narrative that was so very obviously false from the jump. All the actors were quite good on the whole. The show certainly had some WOW moments. They pulled of the "We have to go back!" brilliantly. 

36 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I will check that out. I have read The Future Will Be Televised also by Alan Sepinwall, in the chapter about The Sopranos he outlines why he doesn't think Tony was killed at the end and brings up a bunch of logical points. The big one is how it wasn't really a show about shocking mysterious twists out of no where, so it wouldn't make sense to pull that at the end.

He's one of the authors. I just checked. 

• Love 1

Ahhh...The Sopranos. Never watched it. Never will. Don't care. Just another show about an unattractive white dude in mid-life crisis. So the ending? Couldn't even tell you what it was. When people talked about it, I just tuned out and went to my internal happy place. 

Another likely unpopular opinion, Jon killing Dany was the obvious and right ending for her character. 

• Love 8