Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Wedding Day

Tara Ariano

Okay this episode was all kinds o hilariously awesome. Like really. Desi is a jerk and getting engaged eight times before. Ray's monologues throughout this episode. I loved every minute. I was really hoping someone would start singing alaniss ironic though, "it's like rain on you wedding day!"

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 4

Seriously it's been quite some time since I enjoyed every minute of a show, well this year anyway and I watch a lot of TV and this episode made me laugh like every second. Like Desi is just such an awful person when he was thanking all the guys for being there and couldn't remember Fran even though they've met and gone on a bike ride, this show can make me laugh.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 4

Loved it. Then men of Girls are looking pretty good. Except for Desi. He's just...blech.

When did Adam Driver get hot?

I've always found him attractive- though I'm not sure why. He did look particularly good this episode though.

Here is the power of Star Wars- I've watched this show since the first season and have known him as "Adam" for much longer, but I saw him and said, "Oh, Kylo Ren." 

"While she's painfully narcissistic, shockingly tone-deaf, and just generally one of the most insufferable people you'll ever meet, she means something to me." Ray on Hannah, but could also be me and this show. These people are terrible, but I have affection for this show. 

• Love 9

"I want to celebrate my heritage as a white Christian woman". Oh Marnie. 

I really have grown to enjoy this show, as utterly ridiculous as all the characters are, and I am very glad to see it return. 

Desi is just the worst. Like, he makes the rest of the cast look likable in comparison. Its honestly impressive how awful he is. He really is a garbage person. 

• Love 5

"You look like a Starbucks cup."

Marnie got her vision for the wedding from a video and saw Deblasio's daughter use the same look.

The writing is cracking and the way a lot of viewers look down on the female characters on this show is not an accident.

• Love 3

Oh my God, this was almost perfect for me.  At this point, I do not even delve into realities that none of these girls would be friends at this point, forget about bridesmaids.  Even Hannah felt out of place as a bridesmaid, as they really have not been that tight (forget about Shosh flying all the way from Japan to take part, at this point, Shosh probably would hate Marnie).

However, Marnie saying that Hannah does not check in with her anymore and the rest were laughing at her was a rare moment of insight on her part.  Marnie probably always had friends in high school and college, because she was pretty and outwardly put together.  The truth of it is, since she and Hannah have not been living together, she has not made any friends.  Her personality is not warm and welcoming and her other assets do not matter that much anymore.

Also, the styling is hilarious.  You know Marnie and her mother have always dreamed of a traditional stately old money type wedding.  They are wannabes and that is the world they are trying to emulate.  However, Marnie is marrying a musician so her wedding has to combine that with a hipster new wave vibe/plus sixties throwback that would be acceptable to her fiance.  Again...totally perfect.

Adam Driver was insanely hot this episode...maybe, it was the suit?  Perhaps, because it seems like he is really matured beyond the reclusive weirdo we met in the first season?

• Love 1

Loved it. Then men of Girls are looking pretty good. Except for Desi. He's just...blech.

When did Adam Driver get hot?

Oh I think he's ALWAYS been hot.  Looks like Adam's gonna figure out another way to break Hannah's heart this season.  Sigh. 

• Love 5

But really, was the makeup really all that worse than the usual professional make-over? As Paula Poundstone once described one of hers "I looked like a hooker who fell asleep in the sun."

I forget , whats the job the took Shosh to Japan?

Edited by LuciaMia

I think Shoshana s job has to do with marketing? Anyway as much as I dislike Marnie, I adore Ray so it did break my heart a little when he made the speech about Marnie and I kind of want them to be together in the end if it means ray gets to be happy.

I kind of was on Hannah's side with Marnie noy knowing Desi at all. I don't think she knows him well at all. Also I guess Marnie just got over him ditching her at their show last season. I mean I loved this episode but I totally believe it's all going tpncrash and burn for Marnie.

As for jessa and Adam, well God forbid any male and female counterparts can just be friends.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

I've never been a bride or part of a bridal party - do women really get that insufferable on their wedding day? Marnie has always been selfish and a poseur, but in this episode she was downright vicious. The bitchiest thing was to ask Shosh to ask Fran to leave, then pretend like she's OK with him staying and make Shosh look like the bad guy. I want to believe that Bebe intentionally made her makeup look awful after realizing what a jerk Marnie is.

I still think that Desi is going to do a runner. He's not a commitment type, and he's with Marnie only because she worships him and his last girlfriend ditched him.

Jessa and Adam - barf! How much more irredeemable can this show make her?

Those bridesmaid dresses that allow customization by tying them in different ways just scream "basic bitch bride", but at least Shosh and Jessa had put some effort into making theirs look pretty, unlike Hannah. It's like the wardrobe department spent hours figuring out how to make her dress as ugly as possible.

• Love 3

So, fun fact, back in 2011 my best friend got married, and I don't recall specifically but somehow an hour before the ceremony I was the only in the house who was ready, and I wasn't even in the wedding party. Anyway, the makeup artist ended up doing a beige palette on the bride's face that wouldn't be out of place on Ru Paul's drag race, but because she was a friend of the bride, and we were a full 15 minutes late at this point, no one said anything. Several months later, the photos came in (I should mention this was an outdoor wedding in a gorgeous sunny garden). The bridesmaids and I, in our DIY, very natural looking makeup, looked totally washed out, while the bride looked stunning.

• Love 3

Loved Fran and Adam's conversation. So funny, and the actors did it so well.

Marnie was hilariously awful. Her telling the makeup/hair "artist" what she wanted was unbelievable. And I was so sympathetic toward Bebe until I saw Marnie's face. YIKES! I can't believe that Sophia Bush had a similar look. I did think that Marnie's dress was very pretty. Loved the sleeves.

• Love 1

My favorite line was Ray's about the awkward non-conversation between Fran and Adam: "Try speaking in actual sentences. You sound like you're in an ee cummings poem."

Also liked Marnie's "French" pronunciation of Bebe. So pretentious.

I also don't mind Adam and Jessa. They're both a couple of quirky oddballs, and I like it when people like that get together. Could be fun...

• Love 2
hose bridesmaid dresses that allow customization by tying them in different ways just scream "basic bitch bride", but at least Shosh and Jessa had put some effort into making theirs look pretty, unlike Hannah. It's like the wardrobe department spent hours figuring out how to make her dress as ugly as possible.

This is exactly what Hannah would do.  She would try to make a dress look ugly or shocking to get attention and passively protest the wedding.  I think one of the reasons this was so enjoyable is that the actors and actresses have their characters down pat at this point.

So, fun fact, back in 2011 my best friend got married, and I don't recall specifically but somehow an hour before the ceremony I was the only in the house who was ready, and I wasn't even in the wedding party. Anyway, the makeup artist ended up doing a beige palette on the bride's face that wouldn't be out of place on Ru Paul's drag race, but because she was a friend of the bride, and we were a full 15 minutes late at this point, no one said anything. Several months later, the photos came in (I should mention this was an outdoor wedding in a gorgeous sunny garden). The bridesmaids and I, in our DIY, very natural looking makeup, looked totally washed out, while the bride looked stunning.

Yeah, I though bridal makeup was always over the top because it was more for the pictures, then the actual day.  I imagine Sophia Bush might have also had her pictures in the society pages, as well.

I think Marnie knows Desi is a flake, she just wants to be married very badly...for some reason.  Maybe it has something to do with her heritage as a white Christian woman.

• Love 4

I watched this again last night, and enjoyed it even more the second time. The scene with the men had as much weight as any of the scenes with the girls, Ray's "let the nightmare wash over you" line is perfection. I need to steal it and start using it in my life. Fran and Adam's non-conversation (or, nonversation) was brilliant. "Good, good, good, good." 

I also could have watched an entire hour.

• Love 1

I loved this episode so much, everything! Hannah is the worst and yet I love her. You can't let a guy in the bride's room while she's getting married, that's just like the rules of feminism!!! 

Like Marnie would ever not have her makeup artist do fifty test runs before her actual wedding day.

LOL I thought the exact same thing.

I'm glad you all agree Adam was ridiculously hot. When the show first started I didn't get him at all. But as the series went on, I just fell in love with him (his eyes are so beautiful). Jessa is sexy as hell and that kiss was steamy. They are both oddballs but also addicts--but I think Cardigirl is right, this is just another way for him to break Hannah's heart.

Ray's ee cummings line, Elijah popping the MDMA....I feel like I want to watch it like 10 more times. Welcome back Girls!

• Love 4

IIRC, Adam Driver was a Marine and always stayed in shape. That explains why he looks so ripped in previous episodes. He has less than 5% bodyfat.

As for his character being with Jessa, we have to see how the season plays out.

• Love 2
I think Marnie knows Desi is a flake, she just wants to be married very badly...for some reason.  Maybe it has something to do with her heritage as a white Christian woman.

I loved Marnie's line about her heritage.  I think she realizes she's making a mistake with Desi, but it's at the point where she doesn't want to back out, so she's just committing to it, regardless of what happens. 

• Love 1

I think Marnie wants to get married just to feel like she did something right, to check something out of her list.

I don't want Adam with Hannah but I can't with Jessa. It's a shame because I do feel that they have chemistry but my disdain for Jessa blocks me from wanting/enjoying Adam and her together. Like others said "this is just another way for him to break Hannah's heart".

I love Fran.

• Love 3

Adam was too normal this episode. He would never have behaved like a normal person at a wedding of all things in the past. Especially after he just got dumped or whatever by that other girl, and with Hannah's boyfriend being there.

Also: I had forgotten how much Marnie's nasal speaking voice makes my ears bleed. It is painful.

• Love 2

In the finale they jumped 6 months ahead to Fran & Hannah all coupled up and Shoshanna said she'd been in Tokyo for 7 months. So Adam & Hannah broke up at least 7-8 months ago.

If Jessa & Adam are going to be together then I demand they have another awkward lunch with Ace & Mimi Rose!

I can't decide between Hannah or Shoshanna for worst hair. I think I'm more mad at Hannah since her hair was so cute last season.

I still can't believe I don't hate-watch this show anymore!

Edited by crimsongrl

So true about Adam is Kylo Ren. But when I saw Star Wars I kept thinking "oh, Adam Driver"

Not attracted to him in the slightest-- not his fault, he reminds me of this really evil guy I dated in my twenties-- but it actually gave me the warm fuzzies to see him as plain old Adam again. It was like seeing a cherished cousin walk in the room when he strolled into the bungalow all suited up.

I still love Shosh, Marnie makes me want to swat her, and Ray needs to get over her dumb ass.

I have a huge soft spot for Jessa, and loved her whole makeup hair rescue moment. However big an asshole Jessa can be, something about that actress just shines through for me. Wish I liked the whole Adam / Jessa idea, but it kind of feels Classic Sitcom to me. I dunno. Guess I need to watch it unfold.

• Love 1

Agreed that the makeup would show up well in pictures. I guess they needed to split the difference. But even Jess didn't wipe the bright red lipstick off of shoshs face?

I am still rooting for jay and Marnie, they were able to be themselves together. Smh for Desi.

A 100 +1s (+100?) to how hot Adam Driver was. I've never thought he was particularly attractive but I had a sizzle moment when he came on screen this episode. I think it's the hair, that overgrown look really suits him. I hate the idea of Jessa & Adam on principle but I can't wait to see how the show handles it. This will be the most evil thing Jessa can do to Hannah though. 

I laughed and laughed during this episode. These girls are hilariously awful and that's what makes their damaged friendship so compelling to watch. There's something very comforting to know that even at your worst, you'll have a group of friends that will love you and tolerate your bullshit because they do desperately need you to do the same for them.

Desi is such a terrible choice for a husband but is so reflective of the bad choices many young women make looking for the validation that society gives to the marriage ideal. She's lucky to have Ray around to help her pick up the pieces.

• Love 4

I gave some serious side-eye to my tv when Jessa "saved the day" and also when she was complaining about the other girls to Adam, and then said she was just "trying to be supportive" or some bullshit. Please. She's as big a narcissist as the rest of them, and borderline mentally ill as well. I guess she'll say anything when there's a man involved.

• Love 4

I was so bummed to see that not only was Desi back, but he was Marnie's bridegroom. I hoped that she'd dump him after he was a no show at their big performance in the season finale. Bleh.

Every one of these characters can be irritating as hell, but almost everyone also has his/her own certain charm and often has an insightful, revealing piece of dialogue or moment. The juxtaposition and tension between things like narcissism and selflessness, banality and insight, etc. are what make this show so entertaining to me--plus, there's usually something that's lol funny for me in each episode.

I feel like an outlier because I could do without Shoshonna, I don't hate Marnie, I think Adam's physically icky (love his character, though), and I think Jessa and Adam make sense together, so I don't care if they hook up.

It didn't look like there were as many wedding guests as Marnie and mom would have strived for.

• Love 1

What baffles me is why a nice, calm, pleasant man like Fran enjoys Hannah. <br /><br />Adam and Jessa make sense. Look at them.<br /><br />Lena writes Jessa nicer than any other writer. <br /><br />I think Hannah's dress was a joke about those trendy dresses now where the tops can be configured differently. She fixed it for the wedding. <br /><br />I treasure all the men on this show more than the girls. I want Ray to be happy. Be happy Ray! But he is like a young Bernie Sanders. Glum and angry. He needs a cheery partner to balance his grumpy old man.<br /><br />Suggestions: Kristen Bell, Alison Brie, Cobie something from HIMYM,

• Love 2