Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Switch

• Start Topic

Can someone refresh my memory? What is Price selling to Nacho? I'm assuming it's drugs; is he manufacturing them? I've forgotten a lot of what happened last season and I didn't watch the marathon. I do remember the vet putting Mike onto the bodyguard job but I can't remember the situation that unfolded. 

Besides the cops, who is Saul on the run from? The Cartel? Does the Cartel even care about him?

I would think just the cops, mainly the DEA. He would probably be high on their list as ,with almost everyone else dead, they would want someone related to Walt's ring to use as a scapegoat for the murder of their two agents.

The cartel probably wouldn't have any interest in killing him and, even if they did, they are all dead.

I think Jesse might be the only one left standing who might want to kill him, but I doubt he would do it.

Skyler White might have motive to kill him as he could testify about her full involvement in the money laundering and Beneke maiming, but that would seem out of character.

I could see Marie hunting him down though. :)

• Love 3
I thought that Nacho lifted the baseball cards to ensure that Dumbass VonNerdshoe would call the police.

Why would Nacho want to ruin a perfectly good source of inventory, though? It makes more sense for him to just rob the place and let PLAYUH think that it was a random break-in.

• Love 4

Can someone refresh my memory? What is Price selling to Nacho? I'm assuming it's drugs; is he manufacturing them? I've forgotten a lot of what happened last season and I didn't watch the marathon. I do remember the vet putting Mike onto the bodyguard job but I can't remember the situation that unfolded. 

He's selling pills he's stealing from the pharmaceutical company he works for.  I can't remember without going back and looking if they ever specified what exactly the pills are.

I could see Nacho robbing him just because he can and to see what he would do.  If dumbass recognizes that it was Nacho, he also recognizes that Nacho knows who he is and where he lives and what kind of power that potentially gives him over him.  We know from the great talk Mike had with him last season about being a criminal vs. being a "bad guy" that Pryce didn't think he was a bad guy.  Someone who's not a bad guy is going to call the police when their house is broken into.  A bad guy wouldn't.  Pryce is enough of a criminal at this point to think to check his Walter White hidey hole but not enough to remember not to call the police or to mention that his drug money was taken.

• Love 5

I would think just the cops, mainly the DEA. He would probably be high on their list as ,with almost everyone else dead, they would want someone related to Walt's ring to use as a scapegoat for the murder of their two agents.

The cartel probably wouldn't have any interest in killing him and, even if they did, they are all dead.

I think Jesse might be the only one left standing who might want to kill him, but I doubt he would do it.

Skyler White might have motive to kill him as he could testify about her full involvement in the money laundering and Beneke maiming, but that would seem out of character.

I could see Marie hunting him down though. :)

That's what I was thinking too.  Walt made complete fools out of the DEA and law enforcement and with just about everyone left, they'll be out to bust someone from his organization for revenge and to make themselves look good.  They'd probably try to prosecute Saul as "the real mastermind" behind Walt's empire in an effort to make themselves look better.

I kept wondering about Nacho's play here too.  My thought was it was a message to him saying that he knew who Daniel was and where he lived.  I kept wondering if he was going to try to get Daniel busted by the cops and then get him cleared so that he would be in Nacho's debt.

It makes me wonder if Pryce is how Mike viewed Walter initially. 

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Why would Nacho want to ruin a perfectly good source of inventory, though? It makes more sense for him to just rob the place and let PLAYUH think that it was a random break-in.

Just spitballing here: Nacho is smart and careful. I want to believe that he must have thought out both scenarios. If his rank amateur supplier did not call the police, what you said. If Mr. Shoulda-Listened-to-Mike DID report the break in, maybe Nacho can somehow exploit this fact to extort a better price on whatever is being sold. ETA I see that benteen just posted a similar thought above.

Edited by PrincessSteel
  • Love 3

Ok, the opening scene confused me, because I wasn't 100% sure when it has or will take place. I have never watched BB. If that opening scene is contingent on things in BB which are future oriented, wouldn't that make any discussion about the how or why a spoiler? Just asking because I have no knowledge about BB and what happens to Jimmy. (not complaining just wondering). And THAT was Jimmy at the Cinnabon right? I barely recognized him. 

RHN, we wrangled with this before Season 1 aired. BCS takes place in the Breaking Bad universe with some very slight (so far) cross-over of minor characters. Posters are expected to keep the discussion about the current episode but It is unrealistic to expect them never to make a BB reference or to use spoiler bars for occasional references to a different series that ended years ago.

There is a separate BB spoiler free thread called Better Talk Saul.

• Love 4
I could see Nacho robbing him just because he can and to see what he would do.

I agree, I think it was a test of sorts. Mike not showing up really stood out to him. While Price was the one selling the drugs, it was obvious from the first interaction that Mike was the one who knew how these things go. Now that Pryce is flying solo, Nacho probably wants to get a better feel of who he's working with. 

• Love 2

How I missed the ABQ. Jimmy gave a master class in how to con a con man...and as noted above, this is the same joker who had his ride torched by Walt. I love that they used the same actor. Props to Gilligan and Gould for that, and for all the detailed touches that make every episode worth rewatching. 

I am loving Price...why do I want this doofus to get his, while the real bad guy is the one I am sort of rooting for...again, welcome to Gilligan world. Especially enjoyed his sneakers which matched his tricked-out hummer. They went so well with his high-water pants. Love this stuff.

And I also sort of loved that Jimmy took the job after turning it down...just to see how things feel, how they might shake out. It felt very real, though I have never had the option to find out for myself how it might play. Another reason I love touring Gilligan;s world.

• Love 5

I kept thinking the stockbroker douche looked familiar.  Talking Saul confirmed he was the same guy whose douchemobile Walt set on fire at the gas station on BB.

I KNEW he'd played the same kind of character somewhere, but I totally forgot it was on Breaking Bad, I remember thinking, "there's that guy who plays an absolutely perfectly annoying egotistical rich guy!"  Ha!  So glad it was from BB (*and yeah, forgot about the car burning too)  Even the minor characters on BB/BCS just nail it.

I had to google cocobolo cuz I didn't know either and it must be a popular google today it popped on its own. And I would NOT like a cocobolo desk. :D

Last night right after the show I began to google it, I got this far:  "coco b" and google filled in "cocobolo desk" for me.  Not wood, not bowl, not pipe, but cocobolo desk.  The power of this show.  Yeah, very expensive, and that wood is beautiful.  Although the wood planks aren't THAT expensive, if you know someone who works with wood.  Just saying...

Ok, the opening scene confused me, because I wasn't 100% sure when it has or will take place. I have never watched BB. If that opening scene is contingent on things in BB which are future oriented, wouldn't that make any discussion about the how or why a spoiler? Just asking because I have no knowledge about BB and what happens to Jimmy. (not complaining just wondering). And THAT was Jimmy at the Cinnabon right? I barely recognized him. 

It is Jimmy.  As someone else said, if you should really read the pinned post here about spoilers from BB and this show.  If you REALLY want to stay spoiler-free about BB, there is a thread for that.  The rest of the threads will, quite naturally mention BB stuff sometimes, without spoiler tags.  So stop reading mine if you don't want to know.  (no warnings in the future though!)

He's in witness protection, and not the official government kind, this is how he disappeared and avoided spending the rest of his life in jail.

I must admit, I have mixed feelings about Kim.  I think she truly likes Jimmy but I also think she pities him and sometimes treats him like a homeless puppy.  Plus, I can't stand to hear her voice--it's sharp and sometimes it sounds like she gargling while talking.  There are so many other interesting characters on this show that I hope I don't have to see too much of her.  

I think Nacho is hot.  I forgot what happened to him in BB.

I wasn't sold on her first season for the same reasons.  She's growing on me.  I think her presence prompted Jimmy to reconsider and take this prestigious job at the new firm.  I was shocked by that, and then I thought...WAIT!  Someone should be negotiating the break up of Grey Matter about now, right?  I have to wonder....

I have a hard time believing that Saul didn't have enough $$ stashed away to disappear, but I'll go with it.

Walt set the douchemobile on fire.

The floatie it was on was tethered to his floatie.  The phone wasn't, though.  I don't know why he didn't just put the phone in the empty cupholder.  Probably because the baggie was a better visual.

Saul only got a cut of the money remember?  I know he took more before Walk "negotiated" his percentage down, but was it even 5% at the end?  From that 5% Saul also had expenses I think, but yeah, he never lived large.  I think he ended up giving most of his money to the disappearer guy.  http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Breaking_Bad_characters

Sealed pharmaceuticals, but we don't know what kind.  He's stealing from his company, probably pretty easy, since he's their IT guy, so he can change records.

Another actor just nailing his role, he's practically perfect in every way.

Hell, not only would Saul not allow him to tell Nacho he could "check out the car," as Saul said "We are NOT taking that car."  So many reasons.  The obvious "come rob me, I have tons of money now" but also, he didn't even need to look at that registration, it's incredibly easy to run license plates (scary easy really, anyone can do that) and how many hummers are actually even sold in New Mexico?  The little man got too big for his britches, and hell, his company will probably start investigating how in hell that guy could afford a hummer soon anyway.  I think Nacho wanted the money mostly, but also wanted to take that little strutting bantam rooster down a peg, he was sure thrilled to see Mike wasn't there.  Ha.

• Love 2

So happy this show is back!  I bingewatched the first season which made it even more enjoyable to watch this new episode.

I must admit, I have mixed feelings about Kim.  I think she truly likes Jimmy but I also think she pities him and sometimes treats him like a homeless puppy.  Plus, I can't stand to hear her voice--it's sharp and sometimes it sounds like she gargling while talking.  There are so many other interesting characters on this show that I hope I don't have to see too much of her.  

Michael Mando played a character called Vic (the Dick) in another series called, Orphan Black.

• Love 2

The attention to detail on this show is so fun to watch. I loved how the nerdy IT guy paired his gaudy yellow shoes and watch with his nondescript brown shirt and slacks. The BB callbacks were great as well.

Really excited to see where this season goes.

• Love 3

Saul's perfectly organized little pool scenario, with a phone in a baggie that he can use while it's STILL IN THE BAGGIE, is everything to me. And his little snacks standing ready nearby.

My TV screen showed that he had a sunburn where his shirt was open.

How I missed the ABQ.

I travel to NM frequently and it's one of my favorite places. I wonder where the fancy law office is in Santa Fe. The interior in some of the old buildings is to die for.

• Love 5

It was 80 mg Oxycontin. He said it at the first drug deal.

The cops who showed up to take the report of the robbery were the same two who showed up when Skylar wanted Walt removed from the home. I remember it because the white cop reminds me of someone, and I've never been able to place who it is. I don't know if he has had a lot of small parts in a lot of films, or if he just looks like someone. It drove me crazy for weeks the first time I saw the BB episode.

• Love 10

The cops who showed up to take the report of the robbery were the same two who showed up when Skylar wanted Walt removed from the home.

Good catch! I never would have picked up on that.

Glad the show is back. I wish I could have watched the marathon of S1 to refresh my memory, but I didn't have the time. I'm going to look for a Wiki page for a quick reminder.

I had to google cocobolo cuz I didn't know either and it must be a popular google today it popped on its own. And I would NOT like a cocobolo desk. :D

As I said, I didn't rewatch S1, but didn't Jimmy look into getting a cocobolo desk back then? Did that other lawyer (with the logo/font Jimmy stole) have a cocobolo desk?

I loved the scene where Jimmy flips the light switch and then stands there waiting for something to happen.

• Love 2

Glad to see most of the reactions here aren't complaining about the pacing like the NYTimes review. I'm glad the show has a distinct cadence and style from Breaking Bad, even though I miss the jaw dropping gut punches the parent show delivered regularly. But if this show tried for it, it would probably feel like a knock off. As a huge BB fan I'm disappointed in myself for not catching some of these easter eggs. I recognized Ken Wins of course, and promptly googled bluetooth history to see that it wasn't an anachronism. But I totally missed the tequila and cop duo.

• Love 4

The cops who showed up to take the report of the robbery were the same two who showed up when Skylar wanted Walt removed from the home. I remember it because the white cop reminds me of someone, and I've never been able to place who it is. I don't know if he has had a lot of small parts in a lot of films, or if he just looks like someone. It drove me crazy for weeks the first time I saw the BB episode.

OMG -- THANK YOU! It was driving me crazy -- he looked SO familiar! I even looked on IMDB to see who the actor was because I knew I'd recognized him but couldn't figure out from where! Funny, no mention of BB on his IMDB profile and nothing I'd seen, but it was crazy because I KNEW I recognized the actor! 

And re: the cocobolo desk -- yes, Jimmy talked about a cocobolo desk in season 1 when he was showing Kim the new offices he was going to move into. He said he was going to order a cocobolo desk and that he didn't even know what it was but he just liked saying "cocobolo." Have to agree -- its a good word!

SO glad this show is back . . .and the Americans is starting up in March too . . . woo hoo!! 

For those who said not much happened, that is the beauty of VG and crew -- it seems like nothing happened but so much of this will come back in future episodes. I learned very quickly from BB that the "quietest" episodes often ended up having the most meaning and impact -- and it held true with S1 of BCS. . . as some others said, it is almost more intense than the more action-packed epis, because you just KNOW it is all leading to something . . . VG is KING is of the art of playing the long game. . . . 

And Nacho? Yeah, he's just hot. And that's a good note to end my post on. :-)

*edited because, like Jimmy, I like to say "cocobolo." 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 7

Last season, Nacho told Saul he likes to rip off criminals because they don't call the cops. He probably just ripped off this guy to get his money back but had no idea he'd be dumb enough to report it. 

• Love 11

Here's the BB snippet where Saul/Jimmy mentions Cinnebon.

Oh, Jimmy - I love you.  I love this show - and so gateful to the several posterswho  jogged my memory as to Investor Douche!  (However, Death Queef is going to be the name of my new Quiet Riot cover band.)

• Love 9

I didn't watch Talking Saul, dvr'd it, but I really hope that the show doesn't devolve into a plethora of BB Easter eggs only for the most inside of insiders. Breaking Bad was a long time ago, and I'm amazed at the small details you all remember, but I don't want BCS to be a show only understood by watching the after show, finding podcasts, etc.

• Love 4

The show stands alone, but they are in the SAME environment as BB, it would be ridiculous to treat it as if none of those people exists.  It's a bit more fun for us BB fans, but I don't think anything is hurting the nons.

• Love 17

The show stands alone, but they are in the SAME environment as BB, it would be ridiculous to treat it as if none of those people exists.  It's a bit more fun for us BB fans, but I don't think anything is hurting the nons.

I totally agree with you (and, if I recall, I think we were on the same page about this issue last year too, when it was getting tossed around).  BCS is its own show, and hopefully will be enjoyable to those who have never seen BB, but there is no getting around the fact that it is forever tied to BB, and without BB there would be no BCS.   Between Jimmy/Saul and Mike, there are too many ties or potential BB characters (even just small characters like the obnoxious day trader guy) who could appear in BCS due to story connections or origins.  But it's not going to hurt BCS.

When I saw the day trader guy yapping away on his phone last night, I said to myself... "Wait... is that...?  No... it can't be.  Is it?" My mind instantly went to BB, but I was convinced I was imagining things until it was confirmed on Talking Saul that it was the same character.  The tequila Easter egg thing slipped past me, and I had to go back and re-watch the scene and listen a bit more closely when it was mentioned on Talking Saul.

I enjoy the little references and nods to BB a lot!

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 4

I had a Slippin' Lonesome moment tonight.  No Kim with me, though.  I went to McDonalds and realized I still had a McDonalds cup in my car.  So, I went in with the empty cup and dropped it by the soda machine and then went to order food - no drink.  As they prepared my order, I went back and filled my empty cup with soda.  The manager looked right at me but he had not seen me come in.  The cashier who took my order, and would know that I had not paid for a drink also looked right at me with a now-full drink as she handed me my food.   I thanked her and walked out slick as you please.  Do y'all think I might should be in the market for a gold pinky ring?   One thing is for sure, I will not go to the Omaha Cinnabon.  For any reason.  Ever.

By the by...producer Gould was quite open about the seeming disconnect some of us felt when Jimmy doubled back into the criminal building for his meeting with Big Law.  He said they like Saul, but they loooooove JImmy.  So, they decided to put off Saul's debut, thus the  unexpected 180 by Jimmy in that parking lot.  I am exceedingly grateful they did.

• Love 8

I didn't watch Talking Saul, dvr'd it, but I really hope that the show doesn't devolve into a plethora of BB Easter eggs only for the most inside of insiders. Breaking Bad was a long time ago, and I'm amazed at the small details you all remember, but I don't want BCS to be a show only understood by watching the after show, finding podcasts, etc.

Honestly, the only Breaking Bad related thing that might be off-putting to non-BB viewers so far should be the Cinnabon scenes.  Those don't have any context, and aren't going to be paid off for a long, long, long time at the current rate.  Even when they finally catch up, they'd have to recap huge swaths of Breaking Bad in order to catch people up to Gene.

All of the other Breaking Bad references have been handled rather well, I thought.  I was a little worried about the Tuco appearance, since it was so out of the blue.  In the context of the show, though, it really works more to introduce Nacho (the guy who's smart enough to talk down his crazy boss) than as a standalone reference.  I can't think of any other references that have been too overt or distracting.

• Love 1

Only partly joking when I ask, "Why the hell not?"

I wonder if Ken already had his KEN WINS vanity license plates! I wasn't sure it was him at first but then his name came up on the closed captioning for the dialogue that Jimmy and Kim overheard.

• Love 1

I was not at all impressed with the Talking Saul show. It seemed like 15 minutes of conversation and information interspersed with 45 minutes of commercials. I really hope we're going to get podcasts again. Those are absolutely priceless. Kelley Dixon, are you reading this?

ETA: Yep, we're getting podcasts.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I was not at all impressed with the Talking Saul show. It seemed like 15 minutes of conversation and information interspersed with 45 minutes of commercials. I really hope we're going to get podcasts again. Those are absolutely priceless. Kelley Dixon, are you reading this?

They're doing the podcasts and the first one of the season is already out.

• Love 1

Does anyone know of a way to see the "Talking Saul" thing that aired after the show? I missed it, and I can't find it anywhere online.

Besides the reruns,  Comcast/Xfinity has Talking Saul OnDemand.  Onliine you can watch here (at least from the U.S.)

http://www.amc.com/shows/talking-saul/full-episodes/season-02/episode-01/talking-saul-on-switch

Talking Saul will air on Wednesday, 2/17 at 2:04 am EST. My guess is that it will run after any re-airing of this episode.

I think Hardwick said it was just this episode and the season finale. 

Does anyone have a link for these podcasts posted above? 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 1

Cocobolo really is a beautiful wood.

Besides the Jesse Pinkman tape, there's Skylar White alive and talking about what Saul Goodman did for them. So I'd think the people after him would include the FBI and the financial authorities for money laundering and all the other stuff he could tell about criminals. We don't know who else he was working for before and during his year of Walter White, but he'd also know a lot about the extent of Gus's empire, and the various authorities would certainly still be interested in that. Saul knew when to leave Albuquerque - but he doesn't necessarily know exactly who might be after him, and that's part of why he's so frightened.

As for money - he *did* have enough money stashed away to take care of himself. He paid it to Bob Forster to get him disappeared and set up in Omaha. He may well have some left, but is smart enough not to call attention to himself. It isn't so easy to leave the country discreetly these days.

• Love 2

Gotta have those pimento loaf sandwiches at the ready!

Being a badass all day is a hungry work!

He kinda is.  In no small measure because he is dangerous and intelligent.  And attractive.  Triple threat!

I kept thinking that his salsa was going to float away.

I know, right.  I kept wondering if it was somehow attached by a string to the chair.  

Even worse, he bought the bottle by the shot.

What Nacho did was pretty smart, actually. I liked that aspect of how the Mike-free meet went down.

And equally importantly, Price carefully put the couch back in place, to "rehide" his hidey hole. That was the only cleanup he did.

It's possible that Nacho didn't think Price would be dumb enough to call the cops?

I think it could have just been Nacho that put the couch back into place.  I just don't think Price is all that savvy.  He thinks he can handle this "business" he is in, and he doesn't seem to know how dangerous Nacho is.  I could totally see a situation where Nacho pushed back the couch and Price never even noticed, but the cops did, because Price's story made him sound like he was up to some shady shit and the "burglar" didn't take the computer or the TV.  Price was so focused on those baseball cards that he didn't really seem to notice any of that.  Just came home, his prized cards were gone and his place was a mess.

He's selling pills he's stealing from the pharmaceutical company he works for.  I can't remember without going back and looking if they ever specified what exactly the pills are.

I could see Nacho robbing him just because he can and to see what he would do.  If dumbass recognizes that it was Nacho, he also recognizes that Nacho knows who he is and where he lives and what kind of power that potentially gives him over him.  We know from the great talk Mike had with him last season about being a criminal vs. being a "bad guy" that Pryce didn't think he was a bad guy.  Someone who's not a bad guy is going to call the police when their house is broken into.  A bad guy wouldn't.  Pryce is enough of a criminal at this point to think to check his Walter White hidey hole but not enough to remember not to call the police or to mention that his drug money was taken.

I think Nacho just robbed him because its the nature of the beast.  If he had any inventory there than Nacho gets free drugs.  And what is Mr. Playah gonna do?  Refuse to sell him drugs?  Drop a dime on him?  Playah strikes me as the type of guy just clueless enough to not realize that he had been robbed by Nacho, because I think if he realized that was the case he would have been smart enough not to call the cops.  He really seemed to think it was a break in about his baseball cards.  And I think it may have been Nacho who pulled out and pushed back the couch and Playah just didn't notice because he was focused on those baseball cards....which he thinks was the reason for the break in.

I mean, how dense is Price?  He lives in a small/reasonable house, works a pretty regular job and has that yellow monstrosity sitting out in his driveway and is driving around in it.  He is letting a criminal into his car while he takes time to count some money.  He just isn't that savvy a guy, maybe naive is the word for it.  He seems to think that Nacho isn't as dangerous as he is and they are just two guys sort of doing business together.  I think Price imagines they are just work acquaintances, and since he doesn't quite understand how dangerous and devious Nacho is, he probably doesn't realize that Nacho broke into his house.  And if you aren't suspicious, it can just look like someone broke in randomly for your baseball cards.

Given all that, I would be surprised if Price knew before he called the police.  I think it has just dawned on him when the police started asking questions that he is not as slick as he thinks he is....and that a brand new H2 (and goodness, in bright yellow with red flames on the side!) might tip people off as to what he is doing.  Maybe he puts two and two together, but I don't know, he seems an odd mixture of stubborn and clueless.

I guess he will have to catch on at some point so that Mike can get back in the game.

• Love 3

How I missed the ABQ. Jimmy gave a master class in how to con a con man...and as noted above, this is the same joker who had his ride torched by Walt. I love that they used the same actor. Props to Gilligan and Gould for that, and for all the detailed touches that make every episode worth rewatching. 

I am loving Price...why do I want this doofus to get his, while the real bad guy is the one I am sort of rooting for...again, welcome to Gilligan world. Especially enjoyed his sneakers which matched his tricked-out hummer. They went so well with his high-water pants. Love this stuff.

And I also sort of loved that Jimmy took the job after turning it down...just to see how things feel, how they might shake out. It felt very real, though I have never had the option to find out for myself how it might play. Another reason I love touring Gilligan;s world.

Don't forget the bright yellow watch/bracelet as well.  Is there a baseball team that uses those colors because he seems to really be into baseball....and red/yellow

The Albuquerque Dukes are yellow and red. That could be the yellow/red thing. 

I do hope Jimmy/Saul/Gene does have money socked away and when he closes the Cinnabon he goes home smiling, on the nights he doesn't lock himself in. When they were zooming in on the "SG was here graffiti" I thought he was living in the wall or something. 

• Love 1

Another reason I love touring Gilligan;s world.

Oh, me too!  I said exactly the same thing.  I also decided that I want to be a con artist.

Fun fact:  Davis and Main is an intersection in the Fan neighborhood of Richmond, VA (Gilligan's hometown).  It's formerly the site of a restaurant named after the intersection that has since closed.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/davis-and-main-richmond  The first time they mentioned Davis and Main on the show, I kept thinking about the restaurant.  But it's closed!  Jimmy can't go work there!  If you live in RVA like me, you'll notice shout outs to the area in BB and BCS.

Someone upthread mentioned that they are getting more curious about Gene.  I thought that, too.  Considering Gilligan/Gould & Co. can take as long as they need to tell Jimmy's story, why not tell us a Gene story, too.

• Love 3

My husband and I were discussing Saul's money situation in Omaha. I figured Jimmy still has money from working with Walt left over but he's so driven by fear of the cartel coming after him, he's focused on staying under the radar. He's miserable living simply but he's afraid of bring any attention to himself. He could probably make better money running cons, but that would risk drawing unwanted attention if he cons the wrong person. He could also afford to live better, but that might bring attention to himself, too. I figured he probably has more money but he wants to make sure he can afford to go on the run again in case he is found by the cartel.

Basically, he's in such fear of being found that he's suppressing every instinct that makes him Saul.

As for Breaking Bad spoilers/easter eggs, so far I think BCS has done a good job. Saul's fate at the end of Breaking Bad is part of the concept but they've handled it in a way where you don't need to know the details. The discussion we've had about how much money he has probably is a sign that Breaking Bad left Saul's fate unclear enough that knowledge of Breaking Bad isn't really helpful. You need to know that Saul fled Albuquerque and now lives in Omaha.

So far, the BB callbacks are nice but they don't affect your understanding of BCS. Knowing Zafir Anejo taquila's role on Breaking Bad doesn't really change your understanding of Jimmy and Kimmy's con. Knowing their mark appears on Breaking Bad doesn't add any meaning to that story, either. It just makes the Abq of BB/BCS more lived-in. They're cool extra touches but if you don't spot them, you're fine.

BTW, did anyone recognize the resort where Jimmy was staying?

• Love 5

When Jimmy flipped the light switch I was half expecting something major in the office to turn off and people to yell out.

The new office seems almost overly nice to Jimmy - I know he brought a giant case - but it just seems over the top nice, almost like Howard greased some wheels to get this special treatment.

As soon as I heard KenWins at the bar I knew who it was - and I loved their scam on him.  After Kim's initial hesitation, she slid right into it.   Great scene.   Thought it was funny on Talking Saul they called her Slipping Kimmy

• Love 4

I think it could have just been Nacho that put the couch back into place.  I just don't think Price is all that savvy.  He thinks he can handle this "business" he is in, and he doesn't seem to know how dangerous Nacho is.  I could totally see a situation where Nacho pushed back the couch and Price never even noticed, but the cops did, because Price's story made him sound like he was up to some shady shit and the "burglar" didn't take the computer or the TV.  

Price knew the money was gone. Even if Nacho put the couch back (unlikely, IMHO, given the state of the rest of the place) Price must have checked the hidey hole.

• Love 1

My husband and I were discussing Saul's money situation in Omaha. I figured Jimmy still has money from working with Walt left over but he's so driven by fear of the cartel coming after him, he's focused on staying under the radar. He's miserable living simply but he's afraid of bring any attention to himself. He could probably make better money running cons, but that would risk drawing unwanted attention if he cons the wrong person. He could also afford to live better, but that might bring attention to himself, too. I figured he probably has more money but he wants to make sure he can afford to go on the run again in case he is found by the cartel.

Basically, he's in such fear of being found that he's suppressing every instinct that makes him Saul.

We've come to pretty much the same conclusion here about Gene's situation, which may even parallel Price's story.  Saul probably has enough money at the end of Breaking Bad to make the getaway to Omaha.  He's probably not flat broke, living paycheck to paycheck.  But considering how many people -- both law enforcement and non law enforcement -- may still be looking for him, he probably needs to hang on to most of it if he needs to run again and it's not really a good idea to be drawing unnecessary attention to himself anyway.  Hence the nondescript, beaten down life of Gene, the guy who runs the Cinnabon at the mall.   Who even really looks at him?

Price knew the money was gone.  He mentioned in between all the obsessing over his baseball cards that cash had also been taken and then quickly changed the subject when the cop asked the followup of how much. 

I knew I had seen the actor before, likely from the Breaking Bad universe, but couldn't place KenWins for certain until I read it here.  Because it's been awhile.  It's a neat little throwback to realize the same guy will eventually have been dicked over by two of our main characters, but it doesn't really add or subtract anything from the story if you don't know that.

• Love 2

In an odd way, in some circumstances the Easter eggs could be more jarring for BB fans then for BCS-only fans, or BB fans who've forgotten some things because, as MaryPatShelby noted, it's been a while.  One issue with me is the gap between the BCS age of a character who previously appeared in Breaking Bad and the current age of the actor playing that character.

Obviously we have to do that with Jimmy/Saul/Gene and Mike, but perhaps it's easier to tune out when we see them all of the time. It jumps out more, at least to me, with a rarely seen character.

For example, the actor who played Ken last played him 8 years ago in Season 1 of Breaking Bad. I think the check that Saul received in the BCS pilot for his public defender work was dated May 2002. I'm not sure what what year it is now in BCS, but I presume it's 2002 or 2003.  If BB Ken is about the same age as the actor who played him, that means that BCS Ken is about 13-14 years younger than the actor. That's why I wasn't sure if the asshole in the bar was Ken or not. He didn't look old, but he looked a little older than he should have.

Glad to see most of the reactions here aren't complaining about the pacing like the NYTimes review. I'm glad the show has a distinct cadence and style from Breaking Bad, even though I miss the jaw dropping gut punches the parent show delivered regularly. But if this show tried for it, it would probably feel like a knock off.

Very good point. I think it has to be very very hard to do a spin off that feels SO much like its own show. Gilligan and Gould have succeeded, IMO. I like the slow burn of this show; there's actually quite a lot going on, even when there isn't. 

I mean, how dense is Price?  He lives in a small/reasonable house, works a pretty regular job and has that yellow monstrosity sitting out in his driveway and is driving around in it.  He is letting a criminal into his car while he takes time to count some money.  He just isn't that savvy a guy, maybe naive is the word for it.  He seems to think that Nacho isn't as dangerous as he is and they are just two guys sort of doing business together.  I think Price imagines they are just work acquaintances, and since he doesn't quite understand how dangerous and devious Nacho is, he probably doesn't realize that Nacho broke into his house.

This just shows how naive Price was in letting Mike go. The entire reason that their deals have been running smoothly thus far is because Mike. Nacho can tell Mike is a serious guy, and he knows what he's doing. Mike proved this by not even letting a nominal amount slide (was it $20?) during their first transaction. Nacho was trying to push boundaries and Mike set them up firm and clear. First meet up without Mike and Nacho knows he can get away with a whole lot more. Price got egotistical and greedy in letting Mike go, and now he's paying for it. 

The new office seems almost overly nice to Jimmy - I know he brought a giant case - but it just seems over the top nice, almost like Howard greased some wheels to get this special treatment.

I thought that too - especially given that he turned them down at the original meeting. 

• Love 1
When I saw the day trader guy yapping away on his phone last night, I said to myself... "Wait... is that...?  No... it can't be.

I'd forgotten his appearance on BB, but that actor is a kind of go-to when you need a Douchebro.

• Love 4