Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Switch

• Start Topic

Talking Saul will air on Wednesday, 2/17 at 2:04 am EST. My guess is that it will run after any re-airing of this episode.

Oh they are going to do more than one?!  Yippee!! That was as enjoyable as the podcasts!  

Oh they are going to do more than one?!  Yippee!! That was as enjoyable as the podcasts!  

Just this one and one after the season finale. I believe the OP was saying that this Talking Saul would likely be replayed after further showings of S2:01.

• Love 1

Price knew the money was gone. Even if Nacho put the couch back (unlikely, IMHO, given the state of the rest of the place) Price must have checked the hidey hole.

Price was just dumb enough to leave that money with the baseball cards or in a fairly obvious place, because he just isn't that smart a guy.  He knew the drugs could get him in trouble with the cops, which is probably the biggest threat he thinks of at this moment since he thinks he and Nacho are on good enough terms that Nacho wouldn't take a chance to screw him.

I love this show!

I haven't watced BB and it was an issue here at the beginning of last seasn but isn't now. I totally don't mind knowing some things are enriched by their having a BB connection so long as they also work in the show.

Douchebag so earned the rip off, he was getting them, drunk, to agree to give him access to their bank accounts

Of course IRL he'd need bank numbers and ids... Indidntnthnk Kim's playing along needed explanation. It was just play. When I was a kid my best friend and i would sometimes, just for fun, try to con another kid at the park that we were the children of ringo Starr.

I loved jimmys turnaround and taking the offer. Way more sense than his becoming saul right then. I also loved that the switch did nothing. Masterful writing!

• Love 1

I love this show!

I haven't watced BB and it was an issue here at the beginning of last seasn but isn't now. I totally don't mind knowing some things are enriched by their having a BB connection so long as they also work in the show.

It was an issue because a few people chose to make it an issue but I truly hope things have been resolved now.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how badly Price has screwed himself.  He kind of reminds me of Betsy Kettleman (!) in that he thinks he's smart when he's really incredibly dumb.  

• Love 4

I must say I enjoy Price on the show.  It's not that he is likable, but he is amusing in a nebbish-y way.   He is seemingly so naïve as to how badly things could go for him.   I feel a sense of dread whenever he appears, like Nacho or someone else from Nacho's camp is going to come along and crush him like a bug.

I noticed that Mike mentioned Tuco in one of the quick clips of an upcoming episode this season.  I didn't think that Tuco would be back on the show so soon, but now I wonder if he ends up getting involved with the Nacho-Price dealings in some way.  I don't think he would handle Price quite as 'gently' as Nacho has been handling him. 

• Love 4

I'm pretty ignorant about economics, so I'm confused about the luncheon with the stockbroker. What did Jimmy and Kim gain except a really expensive meal? Was there something else that I missed. Or is it just that this kind of thing is something Jimmy does well and we'll probably see a lot more of it?

What are the Easter eggs that people keep referencing?

Odenkirk is an amazing actor. Could watch him all day.

Was the opener showing us what Jimmy was doing after BB, and before anything in the first episode came to be?

The opener is the future, or the present as the case may be, right now the "present" of Jimmy is actually about 10 years ago. 

Damned if Odenkirk hasn't made me like him. I do not know why but I had never liked him, he's supposed to be smarmy as Jimmy and he does it so well that I've now turned around my opinion of him. Vince Gilligan does this a lot. I really disliked Mike in BB at the beginning. I FREAKIN LOVE MIKE now. And I hated Howard because he appeared to be cockblocking Jimmy back from HHM then we find out its the supposedly feeble brother Chuck. I don't say Howard's a good guy now but I have to rearrange my evil meter on almost every episode. 

• Love 8

Price was just dumb enough to leave that money with the baseball cards or in a fairly obvious place, because he just isn't that smart a guy.  He knew the drugs could get him in trouble with the cops, which is probably the biggest threat he thinks of at this moment since he thinks he and Nacho are on good enough terms that Nacho wouldn't take a chance to screw him.

I think the cash was in the hidey hole, not drugs. He just gave all the drugs he had to Nacho for cash.

Even he's not dumb enough to leave a bunch of cash lying around in plain sight. He has a reason to want to display his collectibles.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 3
I'm pretty ignorant about economics, so I'm confused about the luncheon with the stockbroker. What did Jimmy and Kim gain except a really expensive meal? Was there something else that I missed. Or is it just that this kind of thing is something Jimmy does well and we'll probably see a lot more of it?

I think that was it - the shots and the meal. But I don't think Jimmy's cons have ever really been about the money. I think it's about the rush he gets doing them. He got a free meal, and had a lot of fun doing it!

• Love 8

I think the cash was in the hidey hole, not drugs. He just gave all the drugs he had to Nacho for cash.

Even he's not dumb enough to leave a bunch of cash lying around in plain sight. He has a reason to want to display his collectibles.

I thought the cards were hidden, which is why there was a hole in the wall where they had taken his "crown jewels" of cards from.  I think Nacho didn't know if there were additional drugs in the hidey hole or anywhere else, which he would have then stolen.  I don't remember him saying anything about the cards being on display.  

I certainly think it was the meal and the drinks, the poster above is right that its more about the rush.  But, it could also turn into a case if the guy is defrauding people.  However, probably not since he threw away the contract he signed.  

I thought the cards were hidden, which is why there was a hole in the wall where they had taken his "crown jewels" of cards from.  I think Nacho didn't know if there were additional drugs in the hidey hole or anywhere else, which he would have then stolen.  I don't remember him saying anything about the cards being on display.  

They didn't say explicitly, but collectors often have their best items on display. Especially if he bought those with drug money from previous transactions. Ostentatious display of wealth, in line with his H2.

His hidey hole is for the stuff he doesn't want the cops to know about, which is why he didn't show it to them.

• Love 1

I really liked the premiere.  The interplay between Jimmy and Kim is terrific, and the ever-droll Mike letting the fledgling pill dealer doofus (figuratively) hang himself was classic.  I also like that they are continuing with the flash forwards to Saul's Cinnebon hell.  I'm wondering if this series will conclude eventually with what actually happens to Saul in that future.  Will he find a way out, or be doomed to Cinnebon oblivion forever?  Look forward to finding out.  I love the quirky characters on this show, still a must-see for me.

• Love 2

What are the Easter eggs that people keep referencing?

Odenkirk is an amazing actor. Could watch him all day.

Was the opener showing us what Jimmy was doing after BB, and before anything in the first episode came to be?

Like the others, I think the bit with the stockbroker was just to see how much they could get the guy to spend on him. It's Jimmy's con - on a higher level than we've seen him do it before - or should I say, with a more sophisticated mark. The bit at the end, with the account stuff, seemed awfully sketchy to me - I don't know that I'd allow a stockbroker that kind of access.

The easter eggs are references to Breaking Bad - for example, the stockbroker was part of an amusing scene in Breaking Bad - where he was also punished for his general douchery. I didn't catch the one about the Tequila, and I think there's another one I missed as well. They're fun for those who've seen Breaking Bad, and doesn't take away from the show for anyone who doesn't.

Edited by clanstarling

They didn't say explicitly, but collectors often have their best items on display. Especially if he bought those with drug money from previous transactions. Ostentatious display of wealth, in line with his H2.

His hidey hole is for the stuff he doesn't want the cops to know about, which is why he didn't show it to them.

I think it could go either way, but I could also see him hiding away his crown jewels in some sort of safe or hiding place where he could easily get to them.  He seemed a million times more concerned about those cards than anything else.  From what I can see, he legitimately thinks those cards were the target and the money was just some side note.  Like someone came for the cards and incidentally got some money.  He wanted to get the police a list so they could send it out to pawn shops, he had this entire plan about the cards.  His entire focus was on those cards.    He wasn't nervous about the fact that a drug dealer had broken in and stolen his money, and he seems like a pretty nervous and anxious guy.  I can't imagine him knowing that Nacho, a drug dealer, who clearly has underworld associates broke into his house, and stole his drug money and calling the police to really do some high level investigation over baseball cards.  Right now, he thinks he can trust Nacho, but he knows that Nacho is dangerous.  I think if he knew someone that dangerous broke into his place he would be a puddle of nerves and an absolute wreck, not calling the cops and talking endlessly about the cards.  Which is why I think it could have just been that had the cards hidden, and the money was with the cards and so he thinks someone just incidentally got the money.

But its also possible that he just wants the cards back and realizes that Nacho stole the money, so he only wants the cops help in finding out where the cards are so he can get them back.  But at the same time, any investigation into the cards could lead to Nacho, and I feel like he would be too scared to even risk getting Nacho involved at this point.

Edited by RCharter

Also, he very explicitly points toward the cabinet under the tv more than once when he is saying his cards were stolen. 

• Love 3

Price specifically mentions that the cards were in top loaders, which because I have nephews who also collect this stuff I know are the plastic sleeves that usually go in albums to protect the cards from air exposure or fingerprints.  He also repeatedly points at the empty space in the TV cabinet when talking about his "crown jewels."  The value of some of the cards he's mentioning like a Mickey Mantle rookie card would probably be enough to raise red flags for a guy with a modest house and job even before you get to the H2 sitting in the driveway.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 5
I noticed that Mike mentioned Tuco in one of the quick clips of an upcoming episode this season.  I didn't think that Tuco would be back on the show so soon, but now I wonder if he ends up getting involved with the Nacho-Price dealings in some way.  I don't think he would handle Price quite as 'gently' as Nacho has been handling him.

IIRC, Nacho was/is Tuco's consigliere, for want of a better term, so it makes sense that he's more stable and thinks things through.

Regarding the tequila, it's supposed to be the same one that Gus Fring brings as a special present to Don Eladio, the one in the beautiful blue bottle. I remember in a BB podcast that production hand-crafted the bottle for them as it's not a real brand. They obviously hand-crafted a special top, because that's what Kim took as a souvenir..

• Love 4

Only partly joking when I ask, "Why the hell not?"

I tried to watch episodes here and there and I couldn't get with it partially because I used to work in addictions (in a hospital setting) and I just cannot find the content entertaining. It hits too close to home to real people I know whose families and lives were ruined due to taking or selling drugs. I know it's a great show, I just can't get into it for some reason. But, I'm enjoying BCS a lot.  

• Love 5

One of the interesting things about Jimmy/Saul/Gene at the Cinnabon is that even though he isn't in prison, he might as well be, thus the opening scene of him being trapped in a "cell."

During the Season 1 finale, Jimmy and Marco had a discussion about how Jimmy going straight and being a lawyer (instead of a con man) was like being in a prison. So every time Jimmy touches Marco's pinkie ring (which I noticed had tape around the back so it would fit.....the details are fantastic and I think it speaks to VG's respect for his audience), I think he's considering his options: stay in the legit world which is like a jail or take a chance, break some rules and enjoy the ride.

• Love 7

IIRC, Nacho was/is Tuco's consigliere, for want of a better term, so it makes sense that he's more stable and thinks things through.

Regarding the tequila, it's supposed to be the same one that Gus Fring brings as a special present to Don Eladio, the one in the beautiful blue bottle. I remember in a BB podcast that production hand-crafted the bottle for them as it's not a real brand. They obviously hand-crafted a special top, because that's what Kim took as a souvenir..

I hadn't caught the tequila Easter egg prior to watching Talking Saul, but as soon as it was mentioned there I went back and watched.  I enjoyed the Easter egg and was glad they mentioned it on Talking Saul for anyone else who happened to miss it!  They're very clever.

Yes, indeed, Nacho is more stable... which is why, if Tuco somehow gets involved in the Price business, Price is probably in a lot of trouble!

• Love 1

Yup.

The money was behind the floor boards.  He couldn't exactly tell the cops, "Oh and they stole $45,000 (whatever) in CASH too, from behind my couch."

I mean, that interpretation makes sense, but the only thing that makes me potentially think otherwise is that this Playah seems like a naturally nervous guy.  Thats just how the character comes off, to me.  He has been lulled into a false sense of security with Nacho because Nacho has come alone the past few times, and Nacho starts these seemingly innocent "conversations" with him.  This is why he is rolling around in that ridiculous vehicle, going to the meeting alone, and letting the man sit in his car.  He thinks they are...not quite buddies, but work friends.

But, I would think that if he thought this was anything more than a random break-in.....that Nacho was involved....he would be a giant puddle of nerves and fear. The way I read it was that he was really thinking this was random and they just happened upon the money as they took the cards.  I think the only person he would reasonably think would look behind a couch and a molding for the money would be Nacho or one of his crew.  And if Nacho was involved, why in the world would he involve the police?  That seems like a dense move...even for  a guy as clueless as Playah.  I would think that if he knew Nacho took his money and his cards, he would have called Mike, not the cops.  But if he sincerely thought that it was just a random burglary, he probably thought he could just call the police about the baseball cards (which he clearly cares about more than the stolen money) and let whoever took the money just have it, because he could just steal more drugs.

• Love 2

I don't think it's occurred to Playah that his good buddy Nacho had anything to do with it.  OR, he wouldn't have called the cops at all.  He's just that stupid.

He just didn't want to tell the cops about the illegal money.

• Love 8

I don't think it's occurred to Playah that his good buddy Nacho had anything to do with it.  OR, he wouldn't have called the cops at all.  He's just that stupid.

He just didn't want to tell the cops about the illegal money.

So you think he figured a random person broke in and found his hidey hole behind his couch, behind a small piece of molding on the floor?  I'm not Playah, but it would seem to me like he would realize at some point that the only person who knows about all this actual cash money (that is not in a bank) is Nacho.

That is the only thing that didn't make sense to me about the money having been in the hidey hole.  That seems like a rather small and specific place.  The place a person would find only if they knew for sure there was something that they were going to find that was hidden....like Playah's good friend Nacho.  I suppose its possible that Playah....with his penchant for driving around in an H2 and what not may have let it slip that he has money in the house to someone so there is that possibility.  Probably the girl in the bikini he was trying to get into his H2.  

I was happy to have the show back and to once again see Odenkirk as Jimmy. I think his scam with the stockbroker was in relation to him telling Kim that the universe would provide what he wants or needs, and in this case it was a shot of $50 tequila. I find these scams very entertaining but probably wouldn't if I were on the receiving end (joke).

My take on the light switch thing was that Jimmy cannot help screwing things up. If a great thing lands in his lap, he will find some way to F it up-it's just in his nature. He cannot follow rules and he cannot go in a straight line. Nothing happened when he flipped the switch, but he knows he will keep 'flipping switches' until something does. 

I felt sorry for him at the Cinnabon, but there are certainly worse fates. I love Jimmy and my only teeny quibble is that I really don't feel like Saul from BB and Jimmy are the same person. They both are scammers etc, but to me there is just some intrinsic quality that is not the same. That is what happens when you go back and try to create a brand new story line for an existing character. I'm Ok with it for now.

• Love 1

I think "Switch" also refers to the switch that Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould did wrt Jimmy turning into Saul. At the end of S1 Jimmy was driving off prepared to become Saul. And that was the plan when S1 was story-boarded. But along the way, they discovered, much as the audience did, that Jimmy was a pretty interesting character in his own right and there was more to explore.

• Love 6

I felt sorry for him at the Cinnabon, but there are certainly worse fates. I love Jimmy and my only teeny quibble is that I really don't feel like Saul from BB and Jimmy are the same person. They both are scammers etc, but to me there is just some intrinsic quality that is not the same. That is what happens when you go back and try to create a brand new story line for an existing character. I'm Ok with it for now.

Isn't that kind of the point though?  Saul didn't start out as Saul, who did and went along with some pretty bad things.  At one point he was just small-time con artist Slippin' Jimmy.  To drive this week's metaphor into the ground, you can say some switches flipped to make him the James McGill we're watching now and more switches are going to flip along the way to make him Saul Goodman.  Chuck was the first big switch.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 9

People change and evolve over time but the essence that makes you "you", never goes away. I don't think Jimmy and the Saul of BB share the same soul.

I agree it doesn't seem that way yet, but I'm willing to trust that the show is eventually going to demonstrate plausibly how one turned into the other.

• Love 5

Jimmy is a little bit Robin Hood, he's a scam artist for sure, but he keeps it small, when he smelled a hyooooge scam being played on his elderly clientel he blew the whistle. Granted, he made bank in the process but he stole from the rich and prevented the old folks from being swindled further. Also the Kettlemen's, sure he wanted a big piece of their action and from the outside, anyone looking in would call him the crook and the Kettlemen's were a fine upstanding family. Betsy Kettlemen was beyond eviler than a Chicago Sun Roof. He had been overhearing KenWins on the phone before Kim arrived, knew him to be a douche and knew that taking his money wasn't going to hurt him in the long run, just piss him off. 

He and Mike are similar in respects, MIke was a cop and for all intents and purposes, he is a good guy with a moral code that doesn't necessarily jibe with the letter of the law but they right bigger wrongs without following all the rules. 

• Love 5

I tried to watch episodes here and there and I couldn't get with it partially because I used to work in addictions (in a hospital setting) and I just cannot find the content entertaining. It hits too close to home to real people I know whose families and lives were ruined due to taking or selling drugs. I know it's a great show, I just can't get into it for some reason. But, I'm enjoying BCS a lot.  

That makes total sense. Although my mom loved the show, she hated Walt from the very beginning, because she used to work as a nurse for a drug and alcohol rehab center, and saw firsthand the addictive and destructive effects of meth. 

Do we really KNOW that the switch didn't do anything? Sure, it could be purely symbolic, that Jimmy "flipped a switch" that he was told he couldn't flip (i.e., becoming a "real" lawyer). Or...we could be in episode 7 in a few weeks going "OOHHHHhhhhhhh...."

• Love 2

I loved how we started out at the Cinnabon again. I think Jimmy does have money stashed away to escape, but is trying to stay under the radar and hide for awhile. He's also doing his time and that was really evident when he was locked in the trash area. He's a free man, but not really.

I also liked how he has to pick between the new job or being a con man. Kim wants to make him respectable enough to be with which is a little condescending considering how much she enjoys his fun side. We don't know much about her but I get the sense she has had to work really hard for what she has and values security over everything else which will eventually separate them for good.

Price reminded a lot of Gail from BB. They are both so naive in how the criminal world works and in denial that they themselves are criminals. I have a feeling Price is too dumb to live long.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 2

You know, absolutely none of that bothers me.  You can't exactly de-age yourself a decade or whatever it is.  Odenkirk is so damn good, I don't care, I'd watch him in anything, but the combination of these show-runners, writers, directors, and Odenkirk is pure gold.

Well, they can de-age you in specific scenes, ala Benjamin Button, but not in a sustained performance like series TV.

• Love 3

I was happy to have the show back and to once again see Odenkirk as Jimmy. I think his scam with the stockbroker was in relation to him telling Kim that the universe would provide what he wants or needs, and in this case it was a shot of $50 tequila. I find these scams very entertaining but probably wouldn't if I were on the receiving end (joke).

My take on the light switch thing was that Jimmy cannot help screwing things up. If a great thing lands in his lap, he will find some way to F it up-it's just in his nature. He cannot follow rules and he cannot go in a straight line. Nothing happened when he flipped the switch, but he knows he will keep 'flipping switches' until something does. 

When I was seven years old I was with my mom at a department store.  We walked up to an escalator to the second floor and there was a red emergency button on the right down low.  Of course I did not heistate to press that red button.  The escalator stopped, a woman carrying a large shopping bag turned around and glared down at me and my mom, then began walking the rest of the way up the escalator, and my mom smacked me.  So I can totally relate to Jimmy.  Keep flipping those switches.

Edited by Dobian
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

We went to Canada and sent a slinky down an escalator. And it got stuck. And we ran away. So I was pushing buttons on accident.

I was thinking jimmys switch might be like Nixon's tapes, they're keeping tabs on him or a camera. Could be just the outdoor security light that comes on after dark.

People change and evolve over time but the essence that makes you "you", never goes away. I don't think Jimmy and the Saul of BB share the same soul. As I said though, I'm ok with it because I am enjoying this show so much.

If it was anyone other than Vince Gilligan in charge of the show, I'd be worried. But these are his characters, and from what I've gleaned from interviews and podcasts, the man writes with intelligence and integrity. He's not going to try to put one over on the audience. I'm confident he'll eventually create a Saul Goodman from Jimmy McGill. And I'll be sad when it happens.

As a Chicagoan, however, I will NEVER forgive him for the "Chicago sunroof", which is not a thing.

ETA: I'm confident he'll do it if AMC renews the show. The reduction of S2 from 13 episodes to 10 concerns me.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

I think "Switch" also refers to the switch that Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould did wrt Jimmy turning into Saul. At the end of S1 Jimmy was driving off prepared to become Saul. And that was the plan when S1 was story-boarded. But along the way, they discovered, much as the audience did, that Jimmy was a pretty interesting character in his own right and there was more to explore.

Yep, yep. And that's what happens to Jimmy inside the story as well. He made this big decision that he was going to forget about everyone else's expectations and suddenly everything would be different, but then he discovers that you can't just flip a switch and have a whole new life.

• Love 1

It's weird, because I see Saul Goodman in Jimmy all the time.  Saul was smart, and he DID still care about people, until the end, more jaded, and less honest, but what he's going through now certainly could be leading to that.    I think his brother started the push over the edge, but I'd bet Kim completes it.

• Love 6
You know, absolutely none of that bothers me.  You can't exactly de-age yourself a decade or whatever it is.  Odenkirk is so damn good, I don't care, I'd watch him in anything, but the combination of these show-runners, writers, directors, and Odenkirk is pure gold.

I agree. It doesn't bother me at all. Even with Kalee. I know there was a lot of discussion last year about how the current actress did not seem young enough compared to the BB era actress. I just don't care. In a less well done show, things like that might take me right out of it. But everything about this show - the acting, the writing, the cinematography - is just so engrossing. Gilligan is the master of details. There's nothing he can do about people's ages. But every other detail is SO spot on, I just don't care. 

I think his brother started the push over the edge, but I'd bet Kim completes it.

I agree with you again, and this terrifies me. I've never disliked Kim, but I'm starting to really really like her. And I love them together. And I just know it's probably going to end in a way that utterly breaks Jimmy's heart, and I'm dreading it like crazy. 

• Love 4
Well, they can de-age you in specific scenes, ala Benjamin Button, but not in a sustained performance like series TV.

The technology is improving on this so much so that Paul Reubens (now in his 60s!!) looks as youthful as ever in the new Pee Wee Herman movie. PR jokes that it would have been cheaper for him to have gotten plastic surgery than to alter every shot, but at least the shots in the trailer look good!

Edited by attica
  • Love 1