Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Switch

• Start Topic

Odenkirk is just SO good.  I really didn't think he would take that job, then again I should know if I expect a zig, this show will zag.  So glad it's back.

Boy, I was 98% sure that was a dream sequence.

• Love 5

I was just thinking that!  Odenkirk can walk across a room and make me worry about him, the writing, and the acting, and the directing is just that good.  Not that much even really happened, but I feel wrung  out.  Ha.

• Love 9

I swear, nothing even happened, but I feel so tired watching this. Just waiting for that other shoe to drop, constantly. It really captures that magic Breaking Bad had, where even a random goofy scene can quickly turn super tense and dramatic instantly. 

So happy this is back!

• Love 8

Wonder what the charge was for the whole bottle of tequila? Anyone know what hotel that was? Great episode! So glad it's back.

I know nothing about alcohol so I looked it up.  It seems like the standard bottle is 750 ml and that's 17 pours. At 50 dollars a shot, it's about $850. 

There was a lot of slowly moving the characters in place for the season so it didn't feel like a ton happened.  Still, it felt like slipping into a warm bath.  It felt so good to be in this environment again. I didn't realize how much I was missing the show until it started.

• Love 13

It's back!

Kind of a quite episode, that seemed to be mainly setting up everything for this season, but I enjoyed it.  I continue to be amazed that I find Jimmy so fascinating after Saul being a fun, but overall supporting character on Breaking Bad.  But I think the writing and Bob Odenkirk's acting (another thing that surprised me, even though I enjoyed him on BB), are just spot-on with the character.  Even when I cringe over Jimmy's behavior, I find myself rooting for him and hoping he will finally find success and get a happy ending.  And I do this knowing that it will never, ever happen.  But these guys somehow keep pulling it off.

Case in point, I know it will probably end badly somehow, but I loved almost everything with Jimmy and Kim.  There is just something about their relationship that feels fresh and unique.  They just always seem open with each other, and I feel like both know who they are, and they accept it.  And I just think Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn have a natural chemistry and banter with each other.  I really enjoyed how they smoothly set-up the con on the jackass banker, and totally had him eating out of their hands.

Curious to see what is going to go down with Jimmy accepting the new job.  Getting Ed Begley Jr. as his boss is certainly an interesting choice.  And I wonder if we'll ever get an answer to what that light switch does, heh.

Not much Mike in this one, but I loved his annoyance over Daniel being an idiot.  Hopefully, he'll get great material again, so Jonathan Banks can get another crack at that Emmy that I still think should have been his for Five-0 (yep, still bitter about that.)

I think this show might have some of the best casting yet.  Even some of the minor roles leave impressions.  In particular, I really enjoyed the two actors who played the cops that Daniel called about his stolen cards.

Only complaint I have is that the opening segment was a bit too long. I do think some of it was on purpose, to show how mundane Jimmy's life has become, but a maybe a few cuts would have helped.

• Love 5

Welcome back, Slippin' Jimmy.  Didn't realize how much I've missed this show.  Great writing, great acting, great chemistry among all the actors and great attention to details.  Watched the rerun of last season's finale and was so glad I did because it helped with the continuity.  

Hooray for Jimmy flipping that switch.  He's tired of doing the right thing.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 4

I cannot express the joy and anticipation I felt when the open of the season was the Cinnabon in Omaha, thus recalling the series' open!  Seeing how deathly afraid Jimmy was to potentially have ANY attention come his way by setting off the alarm was sublime perfection.  The rest of the ep watching him aching to bust out and be his brash self as a juxtaposition?  Knowing what is to come when he does?  Genius.  Circle of life, indeed.

I sooooooo was hoping Nacho would rip IT guy to shreds and steal his ride when he realized it was there for the shredding and taking.  Playuh!  Too funny.

I am also hoping that Jimmy taking the gig at Big Law is somehow to be his most inspired scam yet.  I'm thinking/hoping, The Sting - or bigger. 

Mr. Cumstain?  Close enough.  Inspired name.

Once you've tasted the cucumber water, there's no going back.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 10

It's back!

Kind of a quite episode, that seemed to be mainly setting up everything for this season, but I enjoyed it.  I continue to be amazed that I find Jimmy so fascinating after Saul being a fun, but overall supporting character on Breaking Bad.  But I think the writing and Bob Odenkirk's acting (another thing that surprised me, even though I enjoyed him on BB), are just spot-on with the character.  Even when I cringe over Jimmy's behavior, I find myself rooting for him and hoping he will finally find success and get a happy ending.  And I do this knowing that it will never, ever happen.  But these guys somehow keep pulling it off.

Case in point, I know it will probably end badly somehow, but I loved almost everything with Jimmy and Kim.  There is just something about their relationship that feels fresh and unique.  They just always seem open with each other, and I feel like both know who they are, and they accept it.  And I just think Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn have a natural chemistry and banter with each other.  I really enjoyed how they smoothly set-up the con on the jackass banker, and totally had him eating out of their hands.

Curious to see what is going to go down with Jimmy accepting the new job.  Getting Ed Begley Jr. as his boss is certainly an interesting choice.  And I wonder if we'll ever get an answer to what that light switch does, heh.

Not much Mike in this one, but I loved his annoyance over Daniel being an idiot.  Hopefully, he'll get great material again, so Jonathan Banks can get another crack at that Emmy that I still think should have been his for Five-0 (yep, still bitter about that.)

I think this show might have some of the best casting yet.  Even some of the minor roles leave impressions.  In particular, I really enjoyed the two actors who played the cops that Daniel called about his stolen cards.

Only complaint I have is that the opening segment was a bit too long. I do think some of it was on purpose, to show how mundane Jimmy's life has become, but a maybe a few cuts would have helped.

Much as Breaking Bad's constant theme was the cost of pride (reflected in the fates of nearly every character), I continue to believe that this show's consistent theme is about loss and grief. Jimmy has no grandiose view of himself. He has just wanted fairly simple pleasures; the respect of his brother, a prosperous career, and to be with Kim. He's become aware that his brother's respect is beyond is grasp, and he doesn't know how important a conventionally prosperous career is if it doesn't happen with Kim. He is in the process of losing all he's invested in these dreams, and grief awaits him, and his original hopes will be replaced by the dream of being Saul Goodman, and we know how that turns out. What will arise from the ashes that were the dreams  of Cinnabon's most unusual store manager? I can't wait to find out. 

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 11

Every single time I see that sad pathetic opening I hope that when this series ends, Saul somehow escapes that fate, gets out of it somehow, moves to some non-extradition country and starts over, among palm trees, fruity cocktails, and a bunch of carefully embezzled Cinnabon funds. Or something even better, giving him a stake in starting over, a phone call from Jesse saying he went back grabbed the money hidden by Todd's relatives, he's in paradise and there is a yacht waiting for him to bring him there.  Yeah...too much.  But I want them both happy.  I don't really care that much about Walt's family, but I want the best for those two.

Odenkirk makes me care about Jimmy so much.  It's too late for Walt, and for Mike, but I really want Jimmy and Jesse to end up happy. 

Yeah, no fairy tales, but is it too much to want Jimmy to at least be able to start over somehow?  Oh, and maybe just a little mention that Jesse is fine?  Ha.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 8

I am trying to think a few steps ahead of Nacho...and I can't figure out what Nacho's move will be when 'Price' gets arrested and rolls over on his contact to save himself. The local cops do know who Nacho is and they certainly have eyes out for any chance to roust him, so setting up 'Price' for a possible bust seems unwise. But I have faith in VG & Co to prove me wrong. Also, the best Jimmy is a Slippin' Jimmy. Hence I predict that Kim will lose interest in a straight-and-narrow James McGill. Heck, if I had shared that tequilla-fueled scam with Jimmy any other incarnation would pale by comparison.

Edited by PrincessSteel

The cops are plenty, but good question, IS the cartel still after him?  I don't think so, but I also don't think he wants to spend his life in jail.  The cops/feds found Jesse's tape confessing everything, right? 

The cops are definitely good in and of themselves (and how awesome was the bit where he wouldn't open the emergency exit because it would call the cops?), but remember how scared he was of that guy in the series premiere? He thought he was a hit man, so I wonder who he thinks would be bothering to send a hit man after him...

• Love 1

I know someone is going to come in with an answer and I'm gonna feel stupid for not getting it, but in that scene where the cops were at Playuh's house, what precisely did the cops see that made them pull the couch back from the wall?  When we saw the side shot, it looked like the wall as too thick and could be a hiding place, but the cops were looking at the couch from straight on, so they didn't have that perspective.  Was it that the couch wasn't flush against the wall?  That it was really a loveseat, not a full couch?  That there was no coffee table?

Otherwise, I'm so, so glad this show is back.  Loved every minute of it.

• Love 3

I know someone is going to come in with an answer and I'm gonna feel stupid for not getting it, but in that scene where the cops were at Playuh's house, what precisely did the cops see that made them pull the couch back from the wall?  When we saw the side shot, it looked like the wall as too thick and could be a hiding place, but the cops were looking at the couch from straight on, so they didn't have that perspective.  Was it that the couch wasn't flush against the wall?  That it was really a loveseat, not a full couch?  That there was no coffee table?

The place was totally wrecked, with debris everywhere, right? Well, one place where there was suspiciously NO debris was in front of the couch, as if the couch had been pulled out and pushed the debris aside, so they decided to pull the couch out themselves to see if it was hiding something, and it, of course, was. 

• Love 7

Nacho probably has eyes on "Pryce"/Daniel. He likely staked out his house in order to make sure Daniel wasn't there before breaking in and tearing the place up. So, if he still has a car nearby, he might not like the idea that Daniel called in the cops. He might not know that it was just to report on the baseball cards, and that might not even matter, but Daniel knows exactly who stole from him and what the primary objective was. I don't think Mr. Pryce is long for this world.

Or maybe Daniel will get arrested and become Jimmy's case. Which would tie in all the action and drama from Nacho and Mike with Jimmy's for this season. 

• Love 3

And doing the "wrong" thing didn't change anything of importance, which was an awesome piece of writing.

There are direct Breaking Bad references, and then there are gems like this. How much of what Walt condoned during his meth-making (spoilers, lol?) spree was because it was out of sight and out of mind. He just flipped some switches, mixed some chemicals and raked in the money.

• Love 2

I am so very glad this show is back!

I kept thinking the stockbroker douche looked familiar.  Talking Saul confirmed he was the same guy whose douchemobile Walt set on fire at the gas station on BB.

Edited to correct Walt reference - oops!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 11

So glad to see this show back.

Price really is an idiot who was throwing up red flags all over the place for the cops. I don't know what a pharma IT guy makes, but Mike was absolutely right that that yellow monstrosity parked out front was screaming for all kinds of unwanted attention for a guy doing something illegal. The loveseat and the space in front of it were the only things in the room not trashed, and he was even dumb enough to mention that cash was missing before having a brief glimmer of realization that he didn't want to go there before resuming his babbling about his baseball cards and the first 48 hours. I'm curious to see now how it's all going to tie back to Mike and eventually probably Jimmy.

I found myself wondering if Jimmy would have called the big law firm and accepted the job if Kim had been answering his calls. He seemed really close there to wanting to open Slipping Jimmy, the Southwest Chapter, and very well might have with any encouragement. While Kim didn't appear to be quite the novice we even might have expected in fleecing the stock management guy, she also has a lot invested in her own career she has to think of.

• Love 5

So happy this show is back!

I really enjoyed it.  It was low-key and slow burn but I liked that and I like how immersed in this world they make us.  My favorite scene was with Jimmy and Kim working Ken...those two are great together.  I'm glad we started off with Jimmy/Saul in Nebraska again and look forward to seeing more of that.  I think he's definitely got reason to fear the police after how BB ended.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

I love that this show is back! I hope this doesn't come off as conceited, but it's one of the few shows I watch where I can end an episode, and still have a million questions. I love that it's not that easy to figure out. 

When we left off last season, we had the impression that Jimmy never even took the meeting with the other law firm. I, personally, thought it wasn't about being done with law or not being grateful for help from Kim, but about him realizing that he just needs to stand on his own two feet and make his way in the world. But last night showed me that it's so much more complicated than that. He DID take the meeting. Well, he entered the building. But he turned down the offer. Then he got a little erratic, blowing money and pulling more cons, and hanging out in a pool all day. Then he went back and asked for the job, which had to have required a big swallowing of pride. But even there, he still didn't seem totally thrilled with the decision. 

I still haven't really figured it all out, what is driving his choices? And I don't think HE has either. That's why I love this show, because I feel like we're on this journey WITH him. 

I really loved the intro, another glimpse into the life of Gene out in Omaha (shout out to all my fellow Huskers!), and the tie in with the final scene. Gene is going to obey that sign on the door, he's too scared of what could happen if he doesn't. But Jimmy just has to disobey, he has to feel alive, even in that tiny way. (What DID that switch do, by the by???) 

I loved the stuff with him and Kim. They are so cute together. It was interesting how quickly and easily she fell into the con with him, how much she enjoyed it. And I loved that their mark was that douche who had his car set on fire by Walt! Ha, I recognized him right away. 

The stuff with Mike and Price was gold too. Price and his ugly ass Hummer. Way to draw attention to yourself. And you think you don't need Mike? Ha! Mike never would have let Nacho within 10 feet of your vehicle. But okay. Have fun with the cops!

I now realize I've said the word "love" like 15 times, so I better stop now. But this show is just seriously so good. 

• Love 12
I think this show might have some of the best casting yet.  Even some of the minor roles leave impressions.  In particular, I really enjoyed the two actors who played the cops that Daniel called about his stolen cards.

It really does. There hasn't been a weak player yet. Everyone from the skater boys to the Kettlemens to Sandpiper's lawyer to Price the pill guy - they all play their parts so perfectly, and effortlessly. 

Every single time I see that sad pathetic opening I hope that when this series ends, Saul somehow escapes that fate, gets out of it somehow, moves to some non-extradition country and starts over, among palm trees, fruity cocktails, and a bunch of carefully embezzled Cinnabon funds.

Me too! What I found so interesting, watching another Cinnabon opener, was that I'm no longer really watching just to see how Jimmy becomes Saul. I want to see what happens to GENE. 

The cops are definitely good in and of themselves (and how awesome was the bit where he wouldn't open the emergency exit because it would call the cops?), but remember how scared he was of that guy in the series premiere? He thought he was a hit man, so I wonder who he thinks would be bothering to send a hit man after him.

The guy in that scene was wearing a military style bomber jacket, similar to the ones skinheads wear. I imagined he thought it was someone left over from Todd's uncle's gang. 

• Love 5

Ok, the opening scene confused me, because I wasn't 100% sure when it has or will take place. I have never watched BB. If that opening scene is contingent on things in BB which are future oriented, wouldn't that make any discussion about the how or why a spoiler? Just asking because I have no knowledge about BB and what happens to Jimmy. (not complaining just wondering). And THAT was Jimmy at the Cinnabon right? I barely recognized him. 

All across america, office furniture stores are getting orders for cocobolo desks.

Someplace in the ABQ today, someone is going to pull up next to a yellow Hummer with spinner rims and laugh their fucking asses off, then start to yell, "PILL GUY" at the driver?

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 5

So happy this show is back!  I bingewatched the first season which made it even more enjoyable to watch this new episode.

I must admit, I have mixed feelings about Kim.  I think she truly likes Jimmy but I also think she pities him and sometimes treats him like a homeless puppy.  Plus, I can't stand to hear her voice--it's sharp and sometimes it sounds like she gargling while talking.  There are so many other interesting characters on this show that I hope I don't have to see too much of her.  

I think Nacho is hot.  I forgot what happened to him in BB.

• Love 1

Wonder what the charge was for the whole bottle of tequila? Anyone know what hotel that was? Great episode! So glad it's back.

Even worse, he bought the bottle by the shot.

I sooooooo was hoping Nacho would rip IT guy to shreds and steal his ride when he realized it was there for the shredding and taking.  Playuh!  Too funny.

What Nacho did was pretty smart, actually. I liked that aspect of how the Mike-free meet went down.

The place was totally wrecked, with debris everywhere, right? Well, one place where there was suspiciously NO debris was in front of the couch, as if the couch had been pulled out and pushed the debris aside, so they decided to pull the couch out themselves to see if it was hiding something, and it, of course, was. 

And equally importantly, Price carefully put the couch back in place, to "rehide" his hidey hole. That was the only cleanup he did.

I am trying to think a few steps ahead of Nacho...and I can't figure out what Nacho's move will be when 'Price' gets arrested and rolls over on his contact to save himself. The local cops do know who Nacho is and they certainly have eyes out for any chance to roust him, so setting up 'Price' for a possible bust seems unwise. 

It's possible that Nacho didn't think Price would be dumb enough to call the cops?

• Love 3

All across america, office furniture stores are getting orders for cocobolo desks.

Someplace in the ABQ today, someone is going to pull up next to a yellow Hummer with spinner rims and laugh their fucking asses off, then start to yell, "PILL GUY" at the driver?

I love how Price has a vanity license plate on his Hummer that says PLAYUH

I appreciate those little touches that emphasize a person's characteristics, in this case being a giant tool.

I think Nacho is hot.  I forgot what happened to him in BB.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a spoiler or not, so I'm putting this in spoiler tags just in case

Nacho never appeared in Breaking Bad (not that I recall)

In Season 1, we're told that most of Tuco's crew was picked-up by the DEA in a raid. I thought Tuco was the only one who wasn't caught. On the other hand, when Walt and Skinny Pete visited Tuco in his crib, I don't recall Nacho being present, most likely because the character didn't exist in the Breaking Bad Universe yet, so perhaps Nacho escaped too.

In Season 2, when Jesse & Walt kidnap Saul and take him out to the middle of nowhere, Saul yells "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" Apparently, Saul was referring to Nacho, more formerly known as Ignacio Vargo

• Love 7

The cops are plenty, but good question, IS the cartel still after him?  I don't think so, but I also don't think he wants to spend his life in jail.  The cops/feds found Jesse's tape confessing everything, right? 

I have a hard time believing that Saul didn't have enough $$ stashed away to disappear, but I'll go with it.

I am so very glad this show is back!

I kept thinking the stockbroker douche looked familiar.  Talking Saul confirmed he was the same guy whose douchmobile Saul set on fire at the gas station on BB.

Walt set the douchemobile on fire.

I kept thinking that his salsa was going to float away.

The floatie it was on was tethered to his floatie.  The phone wasn't, though.  I don't know why he didn't just put the phone in the empty cupholder.  Probably because the baggie was a better visual.

• Love 3