Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I loved it when Dr Z came on, and it was funny because he was always so contemptuous at Joe. But this show has changed so much since then. Now it is almost exclusively the "process politics" that Dana Milbank correctly decried in his article (Milbank used to come on the show too.)

I don't know why they have Deutsch on either but for a different reason - he's an ad guy. Not a journalist, not a former pol, I don't know what substantive knowledge he brings to the table. In fact his whole industry is about creating fictions (your life would be so much better if you bought X.) 

I'm thinking that daddy ZBig isn't coming on because he's embarrassed/ashamed of the extramarital shenanigans between his daughter and Joe.

I get why Donnie is there, as an ad man and marketer he has a unique understanding of the behavior of populations - and at this point he's one of the regular MJ crew just as Barnicle, Ford and Ratner.  It isn't only Millbank from WaPo who never appears anymore - it's Capehart as well.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I've a feeling that tomorrow Joe's position is going to be anti-Comey.  I feel pretty certain he's been working on some rants over the weekend.

I hope it's one of those rants on a teleprompter ! They always make me laugh. I predict Joe will be in love with the ABC poll that shows Trump within 1 point of Clinton. Joe will argue that he was right all along & that the race wasn't over.Nothing starts the week off like  Joe crowing that he was right all along!.

Mika will brag that she knew all along that Hillary's emails were a problem.

I wonder if Las Vegas has a betting line on what Mika & Joe will wear tomorrow ? I predict Mika will wear a Unitarian scarf. Joe will wear the navy blue sweater.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, oakville said:

That made me snort.  You are 100% right, of course.  She's probably said that 1,000x this weekend to every single person she's seen.

• Love 5

I predict Joe will be in love with the ABC poll that shows Trump within 1 point of Clinton. Joe will argue that he was right all along & that the race wasn't over.Nothing starts the week off like  Joe crowing that he was right all along!.

I think you're right. I don't know if I will be able to watch.

• Love 2

The annoying thing about Mika's frequent declarations about Hillary Clinton's emails being a problem is that it is obvious and hundreds of others in the media have said the same thing (millions of people if you count mere civilians.) Regardless of how one feels about the merits of that position (and I don't think this forum is the place for such a discussion), I seriously doubt this is what Clinton wanted the news shows to be talking about 9-10 days before the election. Mika is correct, but not particularly insightful.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

I feel pretty certain he's been working on some rants over the weekend.

I'm pretty close to being "ranted out" with Mr. Scarborough. I'd love for both he and Mika to choose tomorrow to enjoy the fall foliage, or start early Christmas shopping or Trick-or-Treating or anything other than screaming on my TV at 6:00 am.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, captain1 said:

Trying to decide if I have the intestinal fortitude to tune into this crapfest tomorrow.

Based on Joe's twitter feed, he will be very anti -hillary.

2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

The annoying thing about Mika's frequent declarations about Hillary Clinton's emails being a problem is that it is obvious and hundreds of others in the media have said the same thing (millions of people if you count mere civilians.) Regardless of how one feels about the merits of that position (and I don't think this forum is the place for such a discussion), I seriously doubt this is what Clinton wanted the news shows to be talking about 9-10 days before the election. Mika is correct, but not particularly insightful.

Agreed, but Mika has a talking point! Mika will show sympathy for Huma Abedin & blame Weiner for this mess.

• Love 2

Monday Recap: Joe is wearing a Burgundy sweater. Mika is wearing a dark purple apple picking shirt. Mika was reading clips from the investigation. She looked like like pet had died. Heileman & Barnicle were stone faced. There were 10 minutes. Joe bragged that he was right about the polls tightning. Joe was arguing with Heilemann over the polls.

Cackles parrotted that this could affect down ballot races. Cackles agreed that Hillary won't win by 12 points.

Mika said Hillary shouldn't have had a private server.

The wsj reporter said the justice dept has been trying to stop the FBI agents from investigating the Foundation.

Joe is smiling a lot today. The race is not over! Barnicle is upset about the Russians tampering with the election.

Mika wants Clinton officials to come on the show.

• Love 3

Joe is so pleased with himself this morning that there is a new sub-theme- Joe doesn't have to listen to the producers, doesn't have to go to break until he feels like it and is so smart he knows better than the people running the show. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maire said:

Trey Gowdy

TG is both smug, slimey and weird...very odd combination; also automatic channel changer. Please let's not denigrate Draco Malfoy.

I usually tune out when Kellyanne is on, because I just don't need to hear here deflect and spout talking points that I've already heard. I watched today, because I wanted to hear how she would respond to inquiries about Trump's statements this weekend. Of course, there were no questions about Trump's statements. I should have known better.

• Love 2

Not sure what statements about Trump she would have been asked about. I caught a rally of his on C-SPAN (I watched Hillary's as well, I'm an equal opportunity politics nerd) and all he basically said was that maybe the system wasn't as rigged as he thought, and then thanked Anthony Weiner and kind of mocked Huma a little bit. Nothing particularly interesting or insightful.

I snarfed when Joe said to Barnicle, you were a reporter for many years....no he wasn't. He was NOT a reporter for years. He was just a columnist and he couldn't even do that right without making stuff up.

Gowdy is a clown show. I'm all for getting to the bottom of this but the fact that this gives him more attention when he bollucksed up everything he's done previously is annoying.

I do agree with the show that going after Comey - the man who stood up to Bush for his unconstitutional spying and threatened to resign over it - is not what anyone should be doing right now until more is known.

• Love 3

The wsj reporter said the justice dept has been trying to stop the FBI agents from investigating the Foundation.

Yes, let's waste time on that. Meanwhile, Trump buys off Attorney Generals to protect himself against prosecution related to his joke of a Foundation.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jazzpno said:

TG is both smug, slimey and weird...very odd combination; also automatic channel changer.

I FF through that part. Gah, he sounds like he is talking with a mouth full of marbles.

Yes, let's waste time on that. Meanwhile, Trump buys off Attorney Generals to protect himself against prosecution related to his joke of a Foundation.

The WSJ reporter was reporting news that just broke last night. The Pam Bondi stuff is two months old. Can't fault a news show for talking about NEWS.

• Love 1

I have to get sanity from The Stephanie Miller Show especially after 20 minutes with this crew.

On Stephanie's show this morning, she had on Lee Papa, aka Rude Pundit, who made me think this could never happen, I'm agreeing with former tea party congressman Joe Walsh, but it's true.

Walsh tweeted today "if FBI director is going to open his mouth 11 days b4 election he better have a damn good reason and he better tell us what it is. waiting

This is a when pigs fly moment for me!

• Love 2

Guys,  there's a new SuperPac-for-HRC ad based on the 1964 iconic ad that LBJ ran against Barry Goldwater to warn against the use of nuclear weapons.  The little girl in the original ad appears in the new one, as a concerned mother who warns against Donald Trump.

Prominently used in the new ad is footage from Morning Joe!   Joe is shown questioning Trump's judgment in asking earlier in the campaign, "if we have nuclear weapons, why not use them?" Would love to know how Joe feels being used in an anti-Trump ad!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-daisy-ad_us_581728e1e4b0390e69d103e7

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 2

Joe is wearing a navy blue sweater & Mika is wearing a dark blue shirt with purple stripes. Is this her bowling team's shirt?

Joe is upset that the NBC polls shows Hillary still in the lead by 6 points. Joe thinks Hillary has 2-4 point lead down from 6-7%.

Mika threatened to fight Harold Ford Jr over the Comey FBI handling of the Laptops.

Howard Dean said it will have no effect on the race.

The best part of the show was a segment where they played Barbara Streisand song over everyone praising Comey. Was it Memories? Feelings?. Mika was frustrated that everyone was talking over her while she was reading the teleprompter.

Mika said the problem was Hillary's server.!

Mika was upset that no one went to her house for Halloween. Joe asked everyone what their kids wore for Halloween.

• Love 3

They should rename this show "Morning Email."

It was nice to see Willie give at least a perfunctory acknowledgment of the fact that there is also FBI activity around Manafort's ties to Russia and that Comey refused to sign onto the agency letter so as to not interfere with an election. Of course that nugget was instantly dismissed by Joe as "single sourced," and thus, I assume, not worthy of discussion.

i also wish Joe would stop harping on the "650,000 emails!" meme. It's misleading. There were 650,000 total on the laptop, not 650,000 that were deemed possibly pertinent.

Also, why is it that when Hillary is up slightly in the polls Joe always poo-poos it as "margin of error," but no such distinction is made when it is the reverse? He did it again this morning with the WaPo poll and it is really irritating me.

• Love 4

Joe can just shut up about Loretta Lynch and the airplane incident. Lynch was just sitting in her plane minding her own business. It was Bubba who waddled on the plane and created the conflict. He set her up. At least Mika was able to pipe up that Clinton should have known better.

I appreciated the montage of the Dems praising Comey from the summer.

Two weeks in a row with that woman pollster chirping about "Walmart moms." I still can't tell what she's talking about but it sounds reductive and classist by its very nature.

• Love 6

On a three-hour show, they can afford some chit-chat. And at least McCaskill didn't embarrass herself with the basketball talk like she did with her uninformed screed on the email issue (like falsely claiming theFBI never spoke to Abedin....google "Abedin FBI 302", dummy.). There is an argument to be made for Abedin - that she was unaware how the emails got to the laptop, that she doesn't remember using it, etc. - but having Senator Muppetface  from Missouri come on and scream about Comey and how he has no right to investigate this is not the best argument to make.

The only part I saw today sounds like it was the best.  Bill Weld coming on to urge Americans not to vote for Trump.  Even when Joe, trying to deflect, asked "Who will you be voting for?" he kind of unenthusiastically said, "Oh, I think I'll be voting for our ticket but the important thing is to not have Donald Trump elected president."

Then he asked to read three sentences to the group from "1984" which he had brought with him.  He did--and it was the part about how the crowds had daily "hate exercises" that stirred them up emotionally and then all their  hate could be redirected toward a variety of targets. When he finished reading, there was dead silence and a strong feeling of people who did -not- want to go there (or else have big comprehension problems).  He tried to help, "Doesn't that sound just like a Trump rally?"

More silence. Joe tried to deflect with a joke, "I thought it sounded like a Kanye West concert." No one laughed and Weld continued with his point.  Mika--the supposed Democrat who was presented with an opportunity to say something intelligent and supportive while everyone else shied away--was (no surprise) silent. The segment ended with no one giving Weld any encouragement for his point. Mika signed him off with, "Thank you for reading to us" which I found super irritating.

I just can't anymore with Mika and Joe, but I -do- love Weld and was glad to at least be up for that part.  

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, Padma said:

The only part I saw today sounds like it was the best.  Bill Weld coming on to urge Americans not to vote for Trump.  Even when Joe, trying to deflect, asked "Who will you be voting for?" he kind of unenthusiastically said, "Oh, I think I'll be voting for our ticket but the important thing is to not have Donald Trump elected president."

Then he asked to read three sentences to the group from "1984" which he had brought with him.  He did--and it was the part about how the crowds had daily "hate exercises" that stirred them up emotionally and then all their  hate could be redirected toward a variety of targets. When he finished reading, there was dead silence and a strong feeling of people who did -not- want to go there (or else have big comprehension problems).  He tried to help, "Doesn't that sound just like a Trump rally?"

More silence. Joe tried to deflect with a joke, "I thought it sounded like a Kanye West concert." No one laughed and Weld continued with his point.  Mika--the supposed Democrat who was presented with an opportunity to say something intelligent and supportive while everyone else shied away--was (no surprise) silent. The segment ended with no one giving Weld any encouragement for his point. Mika signed him off with, "Thank you for reading to us" which I found super irritating.

I just can't anymore with Mika and Joe, but I -do- love Weld and was glad to at least be up for that part.  

Okay I have to watch JUST for that. I will fast forward through the rest of the show just to get to this point.  I watched a little bit of the show this morning (the first 20 minutes).  I wanted to again smack Mika for her attitude towards Harold Ford.  She is just so condescending.  Mika, you don't know what the hell you are talking about and you sit there demeaning others. I can understand if she legitimately disagreed with him but her "you don't want me to go there" bullshyt was ridiculous. Yes Mika GO THERE. PLEASE GO THERE and let's see how informative you really are(n't).  I have no clue why Harold Ford continues to come on this show. 

Edited by scoobie1
  • Love 6

Eliot - you're so right about Joe and the 650,000 emails.  I watched something else that said that's the entire amount of emails.  Now the FBI has to determine how many from CLinton's years as Sec of State, how many are duplicates of what's already been reviewed by the FBI, then how many left are actually from her, then how many have classified docs, if classified was it classified at the time (classifications do change up or down), etc.    I think that's why Comey has done a real disservice to Clinton by not making this clear in his letter to Congress.    I saw a bit of Trump's speech and he talked about "the motherload of 650,000 emails."

Mumbles - I didn't watch the part with Sen MacAskill.  She could have meant that Huma wasn't interviewed/contacted by the FBI regarding these 650,000 emails - which she (Huma) has said. 

According to Joe the only polls that are correct are those with Trump ahead/leading.  For that reason alone I'd like to see Trump lose.  How would Joe spin that? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

For that reason alone I'd like to see Trump lose.  How would Joe spin that?

"Donald saw it before we were able to truly understand just. how. rigged. this process actually is."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

According to Joe the only polls that are correct are those with Trump ahead/leading.  For that reason alone I'd like to see Trump lose.  How would Joe spin that? 

"IT'S RIGGED!"

I can only hope that after the election is over, most of the ratings for the cable newsfests will drop somewhat.  Please let the ratings for MJ drop enough that MSNBC will decide to dump the entire panel and start over from scratch.  In my fantasy I dream of a simulcast of the Stephanie Miller radio show; kind of like they did for Imus back in the day.  I said it was a fantasy!  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, jazzpno said:

"IT'S RIGGED!"

Joe is going to flip out tomorrow. He was going on & on about how Hillary's firewall in North Carolina & his secret source lady friend saying she was usually GOP but Democrats are knocking on her door to convince her to switch to Hillary.

The new poll shows Trump has a lead of 7 % in NC. Halperin & Joe are wrong.

http://www.wral.com/wral-poll-trump-charges-ahead-in-nc/16183780/

Joe keeps bragging that it's a 2-4 point race or 5 point race. He's all over the map.

The NY Times had a very detailed analysis of early voting trends in several states. The African American & Millenial turnout was lower than expected so far. That's a problem for Hillary. The Hispanic turnout is higher than 2012. That's a problem for Trump.

Mika & Joe should be nicer to Harmless Harold Ford Jr. Ford told them that they were both better than that. Mika is getting much more argumentative with guests when Joe is around.

Why not talk about issues?

• Love 3

Joe is so ill informed. He said Virginia was gone, yet 2 years ago, a GOP Senate candidate named Gillespie came within 1% of defeating Incumbent Senator Mark Warner, yet the polls showed Warner up 10 % on election day. It's weird how off the polls can be.

Barnicle is clueless. He said Trump had been ahead in the ABC poll  frequently, but the ABC release said Hillary had kept the lead since May.

Harold For Jr was shocked by Trump leading by 1% in the ABC poll.

Now Joe is telling Brokaw that he was right about NH in 2008 & that the race isn't over till election day.

• Love 1

The NY Times had a very detailed analysis of early voting trends in several states. The African American & Millenial turnout was lower than expected so far. That's a problem for Hillary. The Hispanic turnout is higher than 2012. That's a problem for Trump.

The African American turnout isn't lower than expected. Democrats and civil rights activists have been warning for a long while that that's exactly what would happen as a result of the voter suppression laws that have been passed in the last couple of years by the Republican state congress. The turnout is lower than it was in 2012 which is entirely predictable after the Repugs, in one example, reduced the number of polling places from sixteen to one in one particular district that has a predominantly AA population. Due to the activism, more polling places are being opened this week and AA voting will rise.

• Love 6

It's shocking that Trump is up by 1% in NC except for two things: (1) the ABC-WashPost poll they referenced is an outlier (had Hillary up by 12 pts last week--something no one believed, just like they don't believe she's dropped 13 pts in a week; (2) also considering the margin of error, all it really means is its too close to call.

• Love 1

The African American turnout isn't lower than expected.

I just googled "African American voter turnout" in Google news and found many articles in the past day saying exactly that. The most recent one is from the NYT from late last night, which is probably what Oakville is referring to, which opens, "African-Americans are failing to vote at the robust levels they did four years ago in several states that could help decide the presidential election, creating a vexing problem for Hillary Clinton as she clings to a deteriorating lead over Donald J. Trump with Election Day just a week away."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I just googled "African American voter turnout" in Google news and found many articles in the past day saying exactly that. The most recent one is from the NYT from late last night, which is probably what Oakville is referring to, which opens, "African-Americans are failing to vote at the robust levels they did four years ago in several states that could help decide the presidential election, creating a vexing problem for Hillary Clinton as she clings to a deteriorating lead over Donald J. Trump with Election Day just a week away."

Yes, the NYTimes articles is excellent because it details the early votes of various groups in many states.

• Love 1

Morning Poll Wednesday. Joe quoted the polls I was referring to. Mika is wearing  a red sweater. Joe is wearing navy blue fleece.

Joe is crowing that Trump can win !. Mika was furious at Prof Eddie Glau for not recognizing her without makeup.

Joe mocked everyone in the media who said that the race was over.

Eddie Glau said AA turnout is lower than expected. They mentioned some voter suppression. AA are not as excited about Hillary as they were about Obama.

Today's theme is the Crook ( Hillary) vs the Idiot ( Trump)

Joe said GOP voters are coming home. Joe said Democrats are eating Cheetos in their basement worrying about Trump.

Halperin said Trump can get to 265 votes & will need to win Wisconsion or NH.

Joe said Hillary still has a better ground game, but Trump has the momentum.

Mika is making faces as a drunk Trump. Mika rolled her eyes at Joe when he went on a rant about Democrat loving Cheetos eaters.

They showed MS Universe Alicia Machado endorsing Hillary.

Joe mocked reporters for talking about Trump's ceiling. He said they were wrong about Trump since June 2015

• Love 2

Watched this show in bits and pieces and fits and starts. I just had to click away more often than usual.

Mika looks much better in those turtlenecks. Especially better than those blouses she unbuttons one or two buttons too many, imho. That looks sloppy to me.

And that pink lipstick was awful. I've seen others wear that shade and haven't seen it look good on anyone. Too pink. 

Joe has really become insufferable. So smug, so smarmy, so unwatchable.

I usually like Bruni but thought his Hillary column was a little overwrought. Almost like he was having more fun choosing particularly clever words than advancing his point. Eugene did something similar with a recent column. Both made me kind of roll my eyes. 

But at least MJ has some smart people on. Sometimes.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Bruni had an interesting article about "Hillary's male tormentors" but ignores the importance of one said tormentor  - her husband - for even being at this point. Had she not followed Bill Clinton back to Arkansas like a stray after failing the bar exam, who knows what would have happened to her. That's what I bristle at all this talk of her being a pioneer - look at Shirley Chisholm if you want one of those.

• Love 1