Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: The Meemaw Materialization

Sheldon is thrilled when his Meemaw comes to visit, but his excitement quickly fades when she butts heads with Amy. Also, Raj meets a new girl at the comic book store who makes him question his relationship with Emily.

Alessandra Torresani is certainly more attractive than she was on Caprica. She seems like a good fit for the show.
  • Love 2

Loved Meemaw. The women in Sheldon's family sure know how to handle him.

But Sheldon was being better this time around. It's big that he recognized the importance of standing up to Amy, even against his beloved Meemaw. It was interesting hearing that Pop Pop was difficult too. It definitely explains a lot, knowing that he was the only one in the family that supported Sheldon's scientific ambitions.

Can't believe it took so long for the engagement ring secret to come out. But I don't Sheldon was being a jerk for holding off on proposing. After all, they only just got back together. Having sex is one thing, but taking a big step like marriage is better for when your relationship is on more solid ground.

• Love 7

Alessandra Torresani is certainly more attractive than she was on Caprica. She seems like a good fit for the show.

That was her?  I thought she was the lead actress on iZombie.

A lot of funny lines in this one. 

• Love 2

Wow. They managed to make Mee-Maw as big a dick as Sheldon. Sheldon is an asshole throughout his relationship with Amy, stringing her along, constantly belittling her, but she's at fault for breaking Sheldon's heart? Amy is supposed to be responsible for Sheldon's growth?

At first, I liked her for correcting Sheldon when he was a dick to Leonard, but it quickly devolved that she was a nasty old woman who enables Sheldon's infantile behavior.

• Love 20

Wow. They managed to make Mee-Maw as big a dick as Sheldon. Sheldon is an asshole throughout his relationship with Amy, stringing her along, constantly belittling her, but she's at fault for breaking Sheldon's heart? Amy is supposed to be responsible for Sheldon's growth?

At first, I liked her for correcting Sheldon when he was a dick to Leonard, but it quickly devolved that she was a nasty old woman who enables Sheldon's infantile behavior.

I think some of that is generational.  I am a freaking doctor but my Grandmother still thought I was worthless until I had a husband and children.  That being said, Sheldon standing up for Amy is huge.  Has he ever done something quite so grand before?

• Love 9

I thought the casting of Meemaw was great!  Of course I was so happy they didn't cast Betty White, who seems to have made some sort of deal with the devil that ensures every TV show and movie that needs a female senior citizen hires her, that I would have liked almost anyone.   Leonard and Penny were way too blasé about finally meeting Meemaw.  First of all, wasn't Mary Cooper in an episode the first season?  Leonard seemed to already know her.  How could he have never met Meemaw?  And Penny is very curious about people and had that whole episode finding out about Meemaw and her Moon Pie during that train episode.   Their reaction  just didn't ring true.

I liked the interplay between Amy and Meemaw.  It almost seemed like a test by Meemaw to make sure Amy was a strong enough woman to properly take care of her adored grandson.  Especially since her own husband was apparently hard to handle.

• Love 6

Meemaw was too generic; she needed a LOT more Southern or East Texas flavoring like Sheldon or his Mom. She seemed like a Yankee! Where was the deep Southern Baptist or Evangelical mode in Meemaw? Or she could have surprised us by being Hispanic. I can see Meemaw challenging Amy and mowing her down for not knowing how to cook tamales, Texas sheet cake, barbecue, hush puppies, Luzianne iced tea, fresh coastal blue crabs, catfish, and REAL moon-pies. Amy had better know the story of the Alamo. Meemaw would sit Amy down and teach her how to make a family quilt. And she would have easily winnowed out whether Sheldon and Amy had "sinned" too.

Ugh! Some Californian or New Yorker had been assigned to cast and materialize Meemaw, but failed,  writing instead a pale inauthentic shadow.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 16

The episode was great.

I really loved the Raj storyline, the fight over Frozen in the comic book store was hilarious. All the discussion about 'Let it Go'. I really enjoyed the new girl. Raj imagining the wedding and telling her about it too.  

I enjoyed the MeeMaw and the engagement ring coming out. I laughed at Sheldon's reaction to Amy's petting him to get the proposal hint. 

• Love 8

A stronger episode overall for me than most of the season.  The writing was a lot tighter and having Leonard and Penny be the chorus of snarky reason really helped what otherwise would have been a little trite.  I also thought with Bernadette they managed to keep her the dominant one in her relationship with Howard without the shrill or nasty that seemed the default.  The flaws were that they wrapped up the Meemaw bit too quickly.  I think this is where they should have pulled out a double episode and just have fun with Sheldon interacting with Meemaw and then have her gun for Amy right at the end and carry it over to another episode.  It felt too easily resolved.  Especially since once again we see Sheldon have growth and I don't it will last.  I liked Sheldon in the early seasons when the writers were more consistent when he took a step they kept him there. 

I'm not feeling the new girl with Raj.  I think in part because I also don't care about the girlfriend so anything that carries over actually will drag I suspect.  I hope she was just a guest appearance and not an ongoing plot point. 

But still it was nice to have an episode that felt like something happened other than the pretend that Sheldon listens to a 'more-you-know' NBC shooting rainbow spot and then hits reboot for the next episode. 

• Love 2

Raj is with Claire in his fantasy. And he adopts a young boy with her and they have a newborn too.  But first have to see how Claire's character deals with Raj's whining. Maybe she will get him to knock it off forever!

The flaws were that they wrapped up the Meemaw bit too quickly.  I think this is where they should have pulled out a double episode and just have fun with Sheldon interacting with Meemaw and then have her gun for Amy right at the end and carry it over to another episode.  It felt too easily resolved.

Absolutely yes! A double episode over Meemaw would have been a shot in the arm that this series needs. Leonard and Penny are becoming a Greek chorus that simply reflects the audience response, with Penny phoning it in and looking exhausted.

I'm glad that Raj is getting opportunities to evolve; the actor is rich in talent.

• Love 2

I was really hoping MeeMaw was going to be Shirley MacLaine.  Or Judi Dench.  Or Ellen Burstyn.  Okay, maybe Nurse Ratched is going a bit too far--but at least, someone with a surprising and funny edge. It's not the actress's fault of course--but everything just seems too on-the-nose and by-the-numbers now.  Predictable and plodding.

Made me appreciate the good stuff from the past, like when Mrs. Hofstadter first insulted Penny, then went out drinking with her and finally confronted Leonard:  "Why didn't you tell me you were tappin' my home girl?"

There were some nice moments tonight though--like Raj's screenwriter gal pal!  She's funny and quirky, the platinum hair is great. and they're adorable together.  And MeeMaw's kleenexes in the sleeve were wonderful.  (My MeeMaw used to stash hers there, too. )

• Love 4

Oh, so very disappointed in Meemaw.  I think it would have been far wiser not to introduce her this late in the series in the first place, just leave her as an unseen presence as they did Mrs. Wolowitz.  If they had to bring her in, they needed a far stronger actress to pull it off.  Betty White may be cliche now, but she would have blown the walls out in that role.  When I think how much Laurie Metcalf brings to her appearances, it makes me sad that this opportunity was so badly botched.  At the very least, we needed someone who sounded Texan!

ETA:  Love the suggestions above for actresses to play Meemaw.

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 13

I thought Meemaw was a fizzle, and a jerky fizzle, at that. Talk about missed opportunity, first time I've seen such a blatant one on this show. What an unconvincing and unlikeable character! Meemaw needed to tell Sheldon off, not Amy. By breaking up, Amy simply stood up for herself. Sheldon broke his own damned heart, by being such a selfish jerk. But Sheldon apparently gets his narcissism from Meemaw. No wonder he worships her. Big time ewwww. I'll never find Sheldon's Meemaw love endearing again.

I don't want Raj to cheat on his girlfriend. I hope that storyline goes away. The rest was cute. Several funny lines.

• Love 6

Mee Maw was OK for me. I like that she wasn't too 'big' in her personality. Sheldon's utter devotion to her is from her being his Mee Maw. not because 'everybody loves her', which I found more realistic. Others shouldn't be able to appreciate her like he does.

'Grandma Spiderman' made me chuckle.

Good shout out to the excellent 'Saga' which pleased my comic geek side, but then Mee Maw was using a comic book as a coaster for her hot beverage! NNNNOOOOO!

• Love 7

I wasn't feeling Meemaw for some reason.

But I loved the new love interest for Raj.  They have the chemistry that is utterly lacking with Emily.  Please keep her!  

Ditto for both. 

The flaws were that they wrapped up the Meemaw bit too quickly.  I think this is where they should have pulled out a double episode and just have fun with Sheldon interacting with Meemaw and then have her gun for Amy right at the end and carry it over to another episode.  It felt too easily resolved.

I agree. In fact, I was just thinking last night I miss the season arcs like with Dr. Stephanie.  Didn't last long, but more than 1 episode.

I don't want Raj to cheat on his girlfriend. I hope that storyline goes away. The rest was cute. Several funny lines.

I don't want Raj to cheat either, but wouldn't mind if Emily and Raj break up and the new girl stays.

• Love 6

I think Meemaw needed to be a bitch to everyone but Sheldon. There could have been scenes where Sheldon wasn't in the room and she would be nasty to Leonard and Penny. Sheldon could be out of the room and she could be mean to Raj. Things like that. Sheldon would be oblivious to mean Meemaw. They could have wrapped it up in a comedic way.

Doris Roberts (Everybody Loves Raymond) comes to mind.

• Love 7

Mee Maw was OK for me. I like that she wasn't too 'big' in her personality. Sheldon's utter devotion to her is from her being his Mee Maw. not because 'everybody loves her', which I found more realistic. Others shouldn't be able to appreciate her like he does.

'Grandma Spiderman' made me chuckle.

Good shout out to the excellent 'Saga' which pleased my comic geek side, but then Mee Maw was using a comic book as a coaster for her hot beverage! NNNNOOOOO!

I think that plays a big part in why I think the casting was good.  I do think the role could have been written a little better in a couple of different ways.  But I think the actress did quite well with what she was given.  And it was because, for me, it was effective that she was played in the way you mention.  She isn't going to see things or relate to things in such a setting except through Sheldon and what makes him happy.  She is getting everything through him even if she realizes his faults and flaws.  She sees Leonard with her own benevolence but through the lens of Sheldon.  And I think in some other actresses hands the role would have been too big and broad and grand.  It works when we see the women who play both the men's mothers because they are still more definitive to who the two are.  So I was glad that MeeMaw was played with strength and personality but not as a force of nature like the mothers are played.   It made sense that she was a bit ornery and yet loved Sheldon unconditionally.  That is the woman we have heard about and why he is her Moon-Pie.

• Love 8

I thought Meemaw was a fizzle, and a jerky fizzle, at that. Talk about missed opportunity, first time I've seen such a blatant one on this show. What an unconvincing and unlikeable character! Meemaw needed to tell Sheldon off, not Amy. By breaking up, Amy simply stood up for herself. Sheldon broke his own damned heart, by being such a selfish jerk. But Sheldon apparently gets his narcissism from Meemaw. No wonder he worships her. Big time ewwww. I'll never find Sheldon's Meemaw love endearing again.

I don't disagree about Amy's need to break up with Sheldon but why would Meemaw be aware of this.  She has only heard Sheldon's side of the story.  For her Amy was the woman that broke Sheldon's heart.  So of course she is going to defend Sheldon and not like Amy.

I was ok with Meemaw because she put Sheldon in his place when he was rude to Leonard. So she was not someone who let Sheldon run wild and get away with everything (like his current friends).  But she is a grandma and the job of grandparents is to spoil.  She hit the right tone for me.

• Love 10

One of the things I used to love about this show was the guest stars. They used to nail it everytime. Even small parts like police, nurses, co-workers, were written so well and played perfectly. That's why I tuned in tonight. Such a disappointment. Meemaw was a letdown. Everyone in this show now just seems to be going through the paces and in it for the money. No investment on their part. So sad.

• Love 9

I don't disagree about Amy's need to break up with Sheldon but why would Meemaw be aware of this.  She has only heard Sheldon's side of the story.  For her Amy was the woman that broke Sheldon's heart.  So of course she is going to defend Sheldon and not like Amy.

I was ok with Meemaw because she put Sheldon in his place when he was rude to Leonard. So she was not someone who let Sheldon run wild and get away with everything (like his current friends).  But she is a grandma and the job of grandparents is to spoil.  She hit the right tone for me.

Totally agree with your assessment. 

• Love 4

i was really disappointed with Meemaw. Betty White would have been excellent especially if she channelled her Sue Ann Nivens.  I wanted to know if Meemaw is super religious like Mary.

Like the girl that Raj was flirting with.  Much better than Emily.

• Love 6

Exactly. Most grandparents,  are the ones that will fiercely defend their grandchildren. As others have said, she doesn't know Amy's reasoning, all she knows is that Sheldon was hurt. She only knows her grandson's side, and yes perhaps she should know Amy's side, but as of right now, it wouldn't matter. Her grandson, her Moon Pie, was hurt. Therefore, gloves come off, because no one hurts their grandchild and then just comes back into their lives. Oh no. 

So Pop Pop was difficult, but the only one that supported Sheldon in his scientific ambitions. Probably because he was a boy most likely. If Mary had a girl genius, I doubt very much Pop Pop would have encouraged Shelly's (Well Mary's nickname works for both genders) ambitions. 

I don't recognize the actress for Maw Maw, did they cast an unknown? Hmm. Maybe they couldn't have afforded a well known. 

I liked how the girl in the comic book shop was able to casually  get into the conversation. (I agree with her- Frozen sucks. HARD. I prefer Tangled.) And Howard wasn't creepy! He's gotten a lot better. But it seems like his perv side transferred to Raj or Raj just seems to get worse. 

• Love 5

I really do love June Squibb (who is no slouch people! She was just nominated for an Oscar back in 2013 for Nebraska and has been performing on stage since the 50s) and I think the writing let her down somewhat. The whole story was far too hurried and it didn't really give her a chance to do anything but quickly hit the beats and get on with the plot. Like others have said, a visit that lasted at least one more episode probably would have helped establish the character.

What I do hate is the ring reveal. Now that Amy is done pressuring Sheldon for sex I was hoping that we'd get to retire the sad sack disappointed Amy jokes but instead we're clearly just going to switch her focus to an engagement ring instead. I really hope I'm wrong, but her immediate begging face makes me think I'm not. They just got back together, their relationship needs work and getting engaged and married is going way too far at this stage. I'm sure if they ever do decide to wrap this moneymaker up it'll end with a Shamy wedding, but I don't need to see Amy anticipating that for the next 100 years.

As for Raj and his new love triangle I have no real opinion. Emily is barely a character and the new girl was just there to be hot and cool all at once. That's not much of a personality either, though at least with a new character it gives the writers a chance to start again and maybe get it right. Either way, both Amy and Bernadette were much stronger characters right out the gate (though I will admit I appreciate the tweaks they've made to both women) and both felt like real people. I did like the Howard and Bernadette part of that plot. I do really enjoy them as a couple.

Edited by vibeology

I agree with you guys' suggestions of MeeMaw actresses. Betty White would have crushed it in a SueAnn Niven sort of way. I also agree that MeeMaw needed a southern accent. 

The show seems so short.  WTH? At least it wasn't a rerun.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Raj seems to be far more interested in being a player, than being in a long term relationship.  Over the years, he would whine when he was alone, then he gets a girlfriend, and now he wants to be a player, adding another one into the mix.   He is pathetic.

Raj has always been such a douchebag with women. I'd rather see Stuart in a long-term relationship than Raj, because Stuart would actually respect and appreciate a girlfriend. Raj would just eventually be a selfish sexist dick to her.

• Love 6

Raj has always been such a douchebag with women. I'd rather see Stuart in a long-term relationship than Raj, because Stuart would actually respect and appreciate a girlfriend. Raj would just eventually be a selfish sexist dick to her.

Yeah so much respect that he would stand over and watch her while she slept all night long...in her own apartment that she hadn't given him a key to yet. Or appreciate her head he keeps in the freezer long after the frost burn has set in.

Original recipe Stuart maybe.  But not the one that has been on the last couple of seasons. 

• Love 5

Guess the writers forgot that Amy has interacted with Meemaw already.  Amy made Sheldon's favorite cookies for him using the recipe she got after getting in touch with Meemaw. Now Meemaw may be frosty because of the breakup ...but don't pretend like you've never interacted before.

The writers this season just seem "off" and are forgetting a lot of stuff from previous episodes. Whether Bernie and Howard have a baby was dealt with before.....the boy taking up fencing because they don't get enough exercise....they used to play paintball quite a bit, go bowling....fly kites. Fine they may not be partaking of those activities any more...but you could at least acknowledge they aren't physically inactive.

• Love 11

Meemaw was too generic; she needed a LOT more Southern or East Texas flavoring like Sheldon or his Mom.

Unless I missed something they never specified whether Meemaw is Sheldon's maternal grandmother or his paternal grandmother, so it's entirely possible she's  neither Texan nor even Southern.

The whole thing with Raj and the comic book girl demonstrates that Raj is nowhere close to capable of being in an adult, long-term relationship. He's already got a steady girlfriend and admits to fantasizing about being married to some girl he's only just met. In many ways he's the most childish character out of the lot of them. Emotionally he acts like he's about 14 years old. Any woman should run far, far away.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4

I need a life, but I was looking forward to the Meemaw eppy. It could have been hilarious and it wasnt' for me.

I thought for some reason that Meemaw is a maternal grandma from Texas. I may have pulled that out of my ass though.

• Love 5

Loved the new girl.  I hope she becomes a love interest.  I like the girl who plays Emily fine in other shows but in this one she (or the writing) just tanks.  

Meemaw was just okay.  Her dialogue came off wooden to me, much like if she were reading cue cards just over Amy's shoulder.  I'm not sure if that was the writing or the actress.  I do like that they cast an unknown though.  Betty White would have been too over the top, in my opinion.  Although I would never say no to Carol Burnett or even Mary Tyler Moore.  I think either of those ladies would have knocked it out of the park.  Perhaps they were too tall for the role, though.

• Love 2

Loved the new girl.  I hope she becomes a love interest.  I like the girl who plays Emily fine in other shows but in this one she (or the writing) just tanks.  

Meemaw was just okay.  Her dialogue came off wooden to me, much like if she were reading cue cards just over Amy's shoulder.  I'm not sure if that was the writing or the actress.  I do like that they cast an unknown though.  Betty White would have been too over the top, in my opinion.  Although I would never say no to Carol Burnett or even Mary Tyler Moore.  I think either of those ladies would have knocked it out of the park.  Perhaps they were too tall for the role, though.

Yes. It  was wooden for me too.

MTM or Carol B would have been amazing. But Im still on board with Betty White heh. I guess Roseanne is too young for this Meemaw role, but I did think of her for a minute.

Unless I missed something they never specified whether Meemaw is Sheldon's maternal grandmother or his paternal grandmother, so it's entirely possible she's neither Texan nor even Southern.

The whole thing with Raj and the comic book girl demonstrates that Raj is nowhere close to capable of being in an adult, long-term relationship. He's already got a steady girlfriend and admits to fantasizing about being married to some girl he's only just met. In many ways he's the most childish character out of the lot of them. Emotionally he acts like he's about 14 years old. Any woman should run far, far away.

Meemaw appears to have been a part of Sheldon's life, if not daily, then certainly frequently, so I imagine they all lived in the same town. What bothered me is that Amy didn't speak up, to say she might have broken up with Sheldon, but it was because of his behavior toward her. But no, she didn't, so the baby wins again. Mary would have set Meemaw straight about precious baby Sheldon, since she harbors no misty-eyed view of her son's faults.

I liked the new girl, and while I detest Raj, I think they could be a couple. Hasn't Raj stayed with Emily only because she was having sex with him? He had more chemistry with the new girl in five minutes than in episode-length interactions with Emily. If new girl stays, then a potential story line is that the screenplay she's writing has a role for Penny, which leads to Penny's return to acting and success for all.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

I liked the Claire girl. I hope they replace Emily with her. “I was just calling to...let you know I have a girlfriend.” “Uh okay, good for you.” Made me chuckle.

Meemaw was a bust. Glad to see it's a popular opinion.

• Love 7

I thought for some reason that Meemaw is a maternal grandma from Texas. I may have pulled that out of my ass though.

I think it's a reasonable assumption.  There is an early episode where Sheldon talks about how they got Mee Maw involved with activities at a senior centre and said "we'd never put Mee Maw in a home".  It made it sound like Sheldon's mother was the one making decisions like this and while it's possible she's taken on the care of an in-law it's far more likely to believe she's caring for her own mother.

• Love 2

According to The Big Bang Theory Wiki, Meemaw is Sheldon's maternal grandmother.  Until I just checked, I thought she was his paternal grandmother, but I don't know why/

To me that's even worse, because I saw nothing of Laurie Metcalfe's character in Meemaw, and one would think something about Sheldon's Peepaw would have been mentioned about him being stubborn and difficult.  Or maybe it did and I am misremembering.  

• Love 3

It made it sound like Sheldon's mother was the one making decisions like this and while it's possible she's taken on the care of an in-law it's far more likely to believe she's caring for her own mother.

Sheldon's mother might have taken on the care of her mother-in-law if neither her husband nor father-in-law were around. Mary mentioned that her husband was dead. So is Sheldon's Pop Pop, but we didn't know until now if Pop Pop was on the same side of his family as Meemaw. Have we ever heard what Sheldon calls his other grandparents?

• Love 1

I do not really care about Raj's relationship, but if he has to have a girlfriend I prefer this new girl.  Emily has little to no chemistry with Raj or the rest of the casts.  At least the new girl compliment Howard nicely when they ganged up on Raj.

Meemaw was an important character for Sheldon and she should have been covered in 2 episodes.  I would have ended the episode with Meemaw being hostile to Amy.

My alternate casting pick for Meemaw is Georgia Engel.  She would have been able to pull off rude/hostile to Amy in a sweet and nice way

• Love 4

OMG Georgia  Engel would have rocked Meemaw! Great catch! I wish I'd have thought of it.

I am not familiar with the actress who is Meemaw. Is she famous for something?

Leonard did not react to Sheldon blurting out about his virginity being lost. Does Lenny or any of the dudes know Sheldon had sex?

Also, Meemaw did not react to that same statement which I'd think she would.... given Shelly's mom's Bible thumping.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's not hard to pull off a reasonable fake southern accent, even if you've never lived south of the Mason Dixon line. Did they not tell the actress her backstory?

ETA: I write this based on my own abilities as a northern non-actor. But I did used to do impersonations when I was a wee one back when TVs were only black and white, so maybe I shouldn't assume it's easy for all actors.

Edited by shapeshifter