Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Some of you will certainly disagree with this, and that's totally fine.   But from what I've read about the RB situation so far, this is fucking ridiculous.

I mean, fired?? He at least followed the CDC guidelines, so he wasn't categorically disregarding safety.  Plus, I'm sorry, but the network has to take some responsibility in these situations and be proactive in not letting people come back long enough to test negative *twice* if that doesn't meet their policy.   If it's about safety and prevention, don't just make it a morality play starring only the employee.  

If I read differently and RB wasn't accurate with how he described things, I might change my opinion.  But as it looks now, I don't like this.  Not one bit.  

Edited by JNavarro
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Reading Richard Burgi’s statement is so refreshing! He actually takes responsibility. The show has a protocol and he, accidentally or not, didn’t follow it. No whining about the consequences.

Compare that to Ingo Rademacher 🙄

• Love 21

So far, I think the firing of RB seems over the top. 
I am a fan of RN and watched GL for years till the very end but not sure if I can’t not see Josh Lewis when he’s on. Also not sure how I feel about the beloved Josh Lewis being with Victoria Newman. 

Edited by Chatty Cake
  • Love 10

I can’t figure out how this happened. RB tests positive, calls TIIC and they tell him to quarantine. Being California, and LA, you’d think they would tell him exactly what hoops to jump through. Unless, as I suspect, they had already negotiated a contract with RN and were waiting for RB to slip up. In which case they were very vague “follow the guidelines” and then all “No, no. We didn’t mean CDC guidelines. Our guidelines are twice that and even though we scheduled you to come in and didn’t ask if you had tested negative or quarantined for our required time before we even let you in the studio, you’re fired.”

I live in Florida and my office is constantly sending out emails about what steps to take if you test positive. There’s no way anyone could inadvertently not follow the guidelines. They want me to believe that Sony pictures doesn’t keep tabs on everyone?

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I don’t know if this plays into the equation, but Burgi’s wife has a vitamin and nutrition business that seems hella sketchy. It makes me wonder if he was vaccinated and maybe that played into their decision. He’s taking a more positive approach to the exit, but maybe it’s a calculated move so that he won’t get the blowback that the other actors have gotten. It will be interesting to see if any further details emerge. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Runningwild said:

I can’t figure out how this happened. RB tests positive, calls TIIC and they tell him to quarantine. Being California, and LA, you’d think they would tell him exactly what hoops to jump through.

I suspect he didn't call or mention it to TIIC, since he came in and tested negative twice at the studio.  They would have sent him home for 5 more days rather than test him only 5 days after testing positive if they had known about it.  Someone must have said something on set or on SM and RB was busted.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, deirdra said:

I suspect he didn't call or mention it to TIIC, since he came in and tested negative twice at the studio.  They would have sent him home for 5 more days rather than test him only 5 days after testing positive if they had known about it.  Someone must have said something on set or on SM and RB was busted.

Well Sony declined to comment. CBS didn’t respond to inquiries. So I’m sticking with my theory. I would think they did know about it because why would they be testing him? And again, RN’s signing happened way too quickly. 

• Useful 2
54 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Well Sony declined to comment. CBS didn’t respond to inquiries. So I’m sticking with my theory. I would think they did know about it because why would they be testing him? And again, RN’s signing happened way too quickly. 

Most shows routinely test everyone in the studio at least twice a week and probably had extra tests right after the Xmas break.

RN’s signing did happen way too quickly. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Most shows routinely test everyone in the studio at least twice a week and probably had extra tests right after the Xmas break.

RN’s signing did happen way too quickly. 

That would explain the shortage of tests - TV shows testing vaccinated people twice a week for no reason. 

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Runningwild said:

That would explain the shortage of tests - TV shows testing vaccinated people twice a week for no reason. 

These vaccines don't prevent anyone from contracting or spreading covid. They just reduce the severity in people that would have had a severe reaction to the virus. Omicron has mutated past the vaccines. I can understand why they would be testing so much. Of course there are false positives too, which would then encourage more testing.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 1/15/2022 at 11:22 AM, SweePea59 said:

These vaccines don't prevent anyone from contracting or spreading covid. They just reduce the severity in people that would have had a severe reaction to the virus. Omicron has mutated past the vaccines. I can understand why they would be testing so much. Of course there are false positives too, which would then encourage more testing.

Yep, the vaccines are a waste of time too. We need to learn to live with this and move on with life. Of course then they’d have to give the real reason for firing people. “We finally got RN to say yes!

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 3

Hey all, just a friendly reminder to keep discussion to backstage happenings on Y&R. Do not expand the COVID talk to include opinions on the vaccine; there are plenty of places on the internet to have those discussions, this is not one of them.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

So Robert Newman starts airing next Wednesday as Ashland. I think he’ll be great. I’m curious to see him with Eric Braden. We all know Braden hates new people. He has to learn new names. LOL!!! They didn’t mention when Burgi last airs. It could be this week or maybe up until Tuesday the day before. 

https://michaelfairmantv.com/robert-newmans-first-airdate-as-yrs-ashland-locke-revealed/2022/02/02/

He'll just call him Billy Boy.

• LOL 7

Victor……………back in the day. I had forgotten how skinny Eric Braden was. Also, it was probably the last time he ever had his shirt off. He never seemed to be into it. The closest he’d ever get to being shirtless was his black tank t-shirts. LOL!!!!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Victor……………back in the day. I had forgotten how skinny Eric Braden was. Also, it was probably the last time he ever had his shirt off. He never seemed to be into it. The closest he’d ever get to being shirtless was his black tank t-shirts. LOL!!!!

Who is this Douglas guy? I really like him. He can act which is something I'd forgotten people can do on this show.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Who is this Douglas guy? I really like him. He can act which is something I'd forgotten people can do on this show.

Douglas was Victor's BFF. Victor called him, "old boy". He came and went over the years. He was involved with Leanna Love. He was a wonderful character and addition to the show, back when the show was more well-rounded and interesting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

Douglas was Victor's BFF. Victor called him, "old boy". He came and went over the years. He was involved with Leanna Love. He was a wonderful character and addition to the show, back when the show was more well-rounded and interesting.

He was great in that little bit I saw.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

Sorry I missed Douglas. Sounds like he was quite the character. Also missed when EB could enunciate.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Col. Douglass Austin. He was Victor’s friend & confidant. Douglass adored Nikki & only wanted Victor to be with her. He was a great character during the good ole days of Y&R when Bill Bell was still the head writer. 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Col. Douglass Austin. He was Victor’s friend & confidant. Douglass adored Nikki & only wanted Victor to be with her. He was a great character during the good ole days of Y&R when Bill Bell was still the head writer. 

*sigh*

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

Douglas married Boobsie, a hooker. She was blonde with too much makeup. I don't remember the exact details of her story, but I always liked her name.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Even though it's all in the CBS family, EB's appearance on The Talk yesterday (Friday) didn't seem to be publicized much. I just happened upon a reference to it on YouTube.

Firstly, EB is much shorter than I realized. (Old age shrinkage?) Secondly, his speech was a lot clearer than it is on Y&R, and he walked out from backstage on his own with no apparent mobility problems at all.

Are we to assume taping Y&R perhaps bores him at this point, thus the mumbling, limited movement, and reading his lines off the props? 🤔

Anyhoo, apparently next week will be EB's 42nd anniversary on Y&R. The Talk hosts presented him with a cake.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Even though it's all in the CBS family, EB's appearance on The Talk yesterday (Friday) didn't seem to be publicized much. I just happened upon a reference to it on YouTube.

Firstly, EB is much shorter than I realized. (Old age shrinkage?) Secondly, his speech was a lot clearer than it is on Y&R, and he walked out from backstage on his own with no apparent mobility problems at all.

Are we to assume taping Y&R perhaps bores him at this point, thus the mumbling, limited movement, and reading his lines off the props? 🤔

Anyhoo, apparently next week will be EB's 42nd anniversary on Y&R. The Talk hosts presented him with a cake.

The Googles say he is six one. Probably age related shrinkage. I have lost an inch myself. :-(

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Googles say he is six one. Probably age related shrinkage. I have lost an inch my self. :-(

Same for me, though I've more than made up for it in width....

• LOL 16
  • Love 1

FYI - I have been a fan of Robert Newman’s for years. I was watching when he made his GL debut. I am friends with him on Facebook. I made a couple of comments when he posted he was the new Ashland Locke. I said I was sad to lose Richard Burgi but happy he was taking over the role. In another reply I mentioned with the way Ashland was being written, it looked like it might not ne a long term role. That was about a month ago. Today, Mark Grossman liked both of those comments. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

I was tiring of how RB was playing his role, to be honest. But I liked him way better than this new guy. Reason being, RB looked like someone Mop would get wet over (pun intended, sorry, it was just sitting there waiting to be used, much like Mop herself), and new guy does not look like someone Mop would kiss, let alone marry. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, gingerella said:

I was tiring of how RB was playing his role, to be honest. But I liked him way better than this new guy. Reason being, RB looked like someone Mop would get wet over (pun intended, sorry, it was just sitting there waiting to be used, much like Mop herself), and new guy does not look like someone Mop would kiss, let alone marry. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I agree.  Not sure of the ages of the actors in question, but RB gave off a more youthful vibe that would be more appealing to Victoria.  I'm not going to call her mop because it seems like her hair has been nicely styled lately.  Wonder if SHOW has a new hair stylist?

• Love 5
On 2/15/2022 at 7:26 PM, Stpauliegirl said:

I agree.  Not sure of the ages of the actors in question, but RB gave off a more youthful vibe that would be more appealing to Victoria.  I'm not going to call her mop because it seems like her hair has been nicely styled lately.  Wonder if SHOW has a new hair stylist?

Burgi and Newman are both 63. 

• Love 2

According to Soap Hub, the role of Summer Newman is being recasted.

Young and the Restless Sends Out Casting Call For Summer Newman

From the article:

The casting breakdown for Summer Newman, a contract role, reads, in part, “Summer is a dynamic, attractive woman in her Late 20’s–savvy, fun-loving, and refined, from a powerful and rich family. The role will be under standard Sony Pictures TV daytime contract terms; with the potential of a 3-year contract.”

Posters on a couple of soap sites say the author of the article is a reliable reporter with industry insider status so it would seem the news is true.

But OMG, one comment I've seen suggests the actress from B&B who plays Flo to replace HK. No. Just no.

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

But OMG, one comment I've seen suggests the actress from B&B who plays Flo to replace HK. No. Just no.

Yeah definitely not her.  I can't remember her name, but I think the actress who played Ally would make a good Summer.  She was pretty and charming before they made her bat-crap crazy.  At least, she would be believable when people say "Summer's as smart as they get."  Oooh, and bring the guy who played Oliver as Kyle!  Those two were really good together!

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

More casting news from Soap Hub, regarding a character widely speculated to be Jack's granddaughter via his son Keemo.

General Hospital Alum Kelsey Wang Joins The Young and the Restless

From the article:

According to Y&R, Kelsey Wang has been cast in the role of Allie, “a mysterious, young professional who catches the eye of one of Genoa City’s eligible bachelors.” 

There seems to be a question of whether Allie will be paired romantically with Noah or with Moses. My money's on Noah since she's closer to his age and Noah is currently single. She'll debut in a couple of weeks.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

There seems to be a question of whether Allie will be paired romantically with Noah or with Moses. My money's on Noah since she's closer to his age and Noah is currently single. She'll debut in a couple of weeks.

Oh Ye Soap Goddesses, can't you use your powers to give her a better choice than either of these yabbos? 

She gets paired with Moses and she'll be square dancing in a week and having an angry taffy pull with Faith.

One dinner with Noah and he'll be offering her his recipe for fava beans.

Romantic partner pickins' are pretty slim in Genoa City at the moment.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, boes said:

She gets paired with Moses and she'll be square dancing in a week and having an angry taffy pull with Faith.

Don't be ridiculous, boes.  You know full well that you can't cut loose like that until Rumshpringa.

• LOL 14

Moses and Faith are so boring & don’t do anything. The actress who plays Faith is a good actress and even looks the previous actress. She fits in well with her Newman family of Morrow & Case but she needs some older actor to be paired with. I think she has range but it’s dudsville with Moses. 

• Love 3
On 1/15/2022 at 12:12 AM, Runningwild said:

Days was / is having people test DAILY

• Love 3