Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meh, there's "supporting" and there's straight up "twisting reality." She can say Adam made Sharon strong in the same sense people who've successfully escaped from their abuser and recovered from their abuse can say the experience made them stronger. I think there are better ways to get stronger than being put through needless abuse and trauma. I'm not in favor of painting it like it was a good thing because you were able to survive someone's cruelty. AFAIC, SC is doing a disservice to viewers still stuck in abusive situations. ("You're not strong enough! Get stronger!")

IMO B&B and Y&R are both doing this now, trying to tell viewers that the bad things they saw were actually good or didn't happen at all. It's dumbfounding.

But yeah, fcuk DG and TPTB who rewarded him for bad behavior. BM's out here believing most of the fans loved the idea of a romance between Traci and Cane when I think the truth is that a lot of her fans didn't want to see her specifically with Cane. How about TPTB give Traci a romance worthy of her and not yesterday's trash like Cane as a last resort?

This is exactly what made me angry......sure, I expect an actor to support the storyline.  I don't expect the actor rewrite history.

And, since you said it better than I could - the rest of what you said about being a victim of abuse is putting a fine point on how I feel about her comment. 

I realize it's just a soap opera, but in these times, her comments felt a little weak.  As if to say Sharon herself didn't have anything to do with "getting stronger" but instead, once again, Sharon (the character) relied on a man, like she always does, to get smarter about her choices.

1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Sharon may have been referring to the strength she got from him when Adam helped her learn to deal with her bipolar disorder and take her meds.  Everyone else had either given up on her or tried to sabotage her.  But that's no reason to jump in the sack with him immediately, which just reinforces her weak aspects, including the inability to go more than a week without a man in her life and bed.

Ahhhhh......that could be it!  Thank you for opening my eyes to something I didn't even think about.

But still.....her comments irritate me.

• Love 4

Was Nikki drinking then (during Delia's death)? I seem to think she was.

I really do think Kelly (when Cynthia Watros played her) was indeed going to go in that direction. She played the role as mysterious and damaged. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, JasonCC said:

Was Nikki drinking then (during Delia's death)? I seem to think she was.

I think that was one of her (many) sober/going to meetings periods.  Her MS was acting up, so that was her story then.  =I think=.  If she was in a Drinkki period, I believe there would have been more speculation or outright accusation in the story.  It was briefly mentioned that she was on the road that night, but no follow up.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, MollyB said:

I think that was one of her (many) sober/going to meetings periods.  Her MS was acting up, so that was her story then.  =I think=.  If she was in a Drinkki period, I believe there would have been more speculation or outright accusation in the story.  It was briefly mentioned that she was on the road that night, but no follow up.

Didn't Paul go to the ranch the next day to look at her car, after which he determined she was cleared?

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Didn't Paul go to the ranch the next day to look at her car, after which he determined she was cleared?

Yes, but Nikki wasn't home and Victor was curiously happy to let Paul look at the car in the garage.  Knowing Victor, he would have had any damage fixed the night before.  Since everyone comes and goes through the front door, I doubt Newmans ever park in the garage, though the guy living above their garage probably polishes, fixes damage & puts them in the garage overnight.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Jack's 'fascinating journey' and Traci's 'passion project' will likely happen off screen. How else are they going to clear the way for more Chelsea/Nick/Adam/Billy/Chloe/Kevin BS?

Not even a little bit interested in Kyle's 'big secret' coming out. Honestly, if Lola is going to stand her ground, she should pick a better battle. Were his actions wrong? Sure. Were they criminal? Probably. But no one got hurt and it all happened long before she even met him. She knew he wasn't a choir boy, so just let it go.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Tracey Bregman is on The Shopping Channel (a Canadian channel) today selling the Pilates PRO Chair.

She looks adorable and I covet her leggings. Her hair is exactly the same as Lauren’s though.

Edit: She said to reach out to her by Instagram or Facebook so I thought I’d add a link.

Edited by catalogrrr
  • Love 7

Well, Rey showed up again for a few minutes. Boy, that guy acts like he’s in a coma. No expression, no smiles, no frowns, no nothing. He sends me into sleepy land because he’s so boring. I’ve never seen him in any other shows. Has he always been this sad as an actor?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Well, Rey showed up again for a few minutes. Boy, that guy acts like he’s in a coma. No expression, no smiles, no frowns, no nothing. He sends me into sleepy land because he’s so boring. I’ve never seen him in any other shows. Has he always been this sad as an actor?

I go all the way back with him to Guiding Light and he was a bust and a bore on that as well, IMO...

I hadn’t seen him in years and was interested when I found out he was coming on this show because I thought perhaps he had grown as an actor

I was wrong

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Re:  Soap Opera Digest headlines:  Keep shovels away from Vivian Alamain!  ( I haven't watched Days in years but I remember that storyline!)

On the Y&R front, you mean to tell me that the great saint doctor-of-all-medicine Nate wouldn't tell Victor about his "missing" tablet??  And he goes to dingbat Abby for advice?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

^^^Nothing against Jamele Hill but I have to question the staging and optics of that little PR event. They couldn't get her in any photos with Y&R's two remaining Black actors? Whatever, I think if Y&R wants to rebuild what had been a large and fiercely loyal Black fanbase they should think about getting Victoria Rowell, Mishael Morgan, and/or Tonya Williams back instead of reducing Devon to perpetual victimhood and Nate to Abby's purse holder. Grrr.

• Love 7

And yet those vets weren't enough to keep the Black audience from largely abandoning this show after the departures of VR and Shemar Moore. (The significant ratings drops in conjunction with those moves has been documented and it's easily google-able.) They got a ratings bump for the shows they did in remembrance of KSJ/Neil but that hasn't lasted. I think they're going to have to do a lot better than using a relatively minor and somewhat niche celebrity to get those fans back. Assuming they even want them back because right now it's looking doubtful to me. In general, YR is going downhill fast IMO. Grrr.

• Love 3

I think Nate has potential to be great leading man on the show. 

Why don't they bring his mom Olivia back? Is she out of the biz? 

I've said it before I am cool with a return from the dead of Hillary. She was just too good and honestly I think Mal Young's biggest FU on the show was losing her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

And yet those vets weren't enough to keep the Black audience from largely abandoning this show after the departures of VR and Shemar Moore. (The significant ratings drops in conjunction with those moves has been documented and it's easily google-able.) They got a ratings bump for the shows they did in remembrance of KSJ/Neil but that hasn't lasted. I think they're going to have to do a lot better than using a relatively minor and somewhat niche celebrity to get those fans back. Assuming they even want them back because right now it's looking doubtful to me. In general, YR is going downhill fast IMO. Grrr.

Frankly, the vets aren't enough to keep any viewer, no matter what your ethnicity.  It's the storylines, the regurgitation of stupid storylines and the insensitivity of other storylines that is becoming too off-putting for me.

Yesterday's show was  WTF moment for me.......

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 11

Retaining or gaining new viewers wasn't the goal of that BTS session. It was just one person meeting her favorite actors from her favorite soap. Why can't that be enough? 

I get what you're saying about Black viewers, as well as @lovemesomejoolery's comments about viewers in general. And I don't disagree with either statement. But again, this had nothing to do with viewers in general and everything to do with one specific viewer, who appeared to be thrilled to spend time with the actors. 

• Love 7

Except for the part where she specifically mentioned the "black grandmas and aunties." Were it not for that I might agree but those are the largely the fans who left in droves when YR started decimating the Black cast. It's debatable I guess whether YR wants them back but if they do this thing with Jamele would be a weak way to do it. Like I said upthread, questionable optics. IMO, of course.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think if Y&R wants to rebuild what had been a large and fiercely loyal Black fanbase they should think about getting Victoria Rowell, Mishael Morgan, and/or Tonya Williams back

Hell, I'm white and I want all these people back, ESPECIALLY Victoria Rowell.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

I think either my writing skills have again failed me or the point has achieved altitude.

Why don't they bring his mom Olivia back? Is she out of the biz? 

Apparently the actress was invited back for the KSJ/Neil memorial episodes but she declined. I'm still wondering though why they couldn't have brought Olivia back for a few episodes after Nate returned. A reunion between her and Ashley would've been fantastic IMO. At least the writers let Ashley acknowledge recently the significance of Abby and Nate dating. Not only are they both the children of semi-legacy characters, their mommies were besties from way back when Olivia and Ashley were in college together. I think it's a nice nod to Y&R history. Abby's record with romances isn't great though so I hope Nate doesn't end up the way all her previous partners have: dead or left town. 😖

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

I think either my writing skills have again failed me or the point has achieved altitude.

Not quite sure what you mean.   I'm agreeing that these are important characters, period, and they're important to different people for different reasons.

• Love 7