Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

So DG tweeted that today is his final scene with Christel Khalil.

IF1r8EA.gif

Meanwhile, I was recently wondering whether they'd have the cast do Halloween costumes this year. It's been a couple of years I think. IIRC, the last time there were some questionable costume choices, culture appropriation-wise.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 7

Yikes! They are coming at Beth! Even when I tweet about the show I don't tag the actors. Eric has picked up a few of my tweets and got all bent up that I dare criticize VICTOR. Sheesh! Fuck you Eric! I wasn't talking about you as a person. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2019 at 3:18 PM, spinxella said:

I finally got around to listening to this. I used to listen to this podcast all the time but stopped. Now I remember why I stopped. Alec Baldwin is a terrible interviewer! He talked over Peter Bergman the entire time! How disappointing. Peter Bergman deserved better. 

I am now listening to an interview that he did on the Dishing with Digest podcast in November 2018. The difference between these 2 interviews is like night and day. While these Digest reporters might gush over him a little, for the most part, they are great. You get to hear great stories from Bergman, and they let him finish his sentences! 

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-44n7k-501eac3?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Edited by catalogrrr
To recommend a better interview with Peter Bergman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Didn't really know where was the best place to ask this, but since it's behind-the-scenes/likely contract related I'll put it here.

What ARE the politics of getting yourself in the opening credits exactly? I've noticed most of the big name contracted players are included at least 3 times a week--whether they appear in that episode or not. Much, I suspect, to the chagrin of MTS because she looks particularly dowdy whenever that photoshoot was. 

Yet, there's no Mark Grossman's Adam, Michelle Stafford's Phyllis or--the strangest one since he's been around a while--Michael Mealor's Kyle. Kyle has been front and center stories for a while and they added "new" credit photos of Tessa and Lola and--for like 2 episodes only--Ana (?!?!) but not MM who I am certain is contracted player. They also added new credit for Traci----so it's not like they only have the original 2016 (or whenever they last updated opening sequence) pool of photoshoots and can't add in new ones. That said, I think Chelsea's was just her old one dusted off from before she left. 

I have a suspicion this might be a part of your contract/agent negotiations? Recurring actors seem to be more or less when you appear in an episode, but even that's not entirely consistent. I see Michael Baldwin periodically when he's not in an episode---but is he contract? As opposed to Lauren who seems to be in credits = when she's in the episode (like Christine or Esther)?  Yet, Tessa definitely does not pop up in the credits at every appearance--only periodically. 

Thanks for indulging me with your theories. 

Edited by JasonCC
  • Useful 9
  • Love 2

@JasonCC Has a great question. I have just assumed they gave a head shot to contract players but I have no clue. I do wish they would freshen it up every few years. I remember they did a Primetime Show one Friday night. It was fabulous ! They changed everything up. It was a real event. I'll have to look that up but I'm guessing it was the 80's.

Can you believe DG/Cane is is trolling for signatures again. I swear I got a message from him on IG. He does not want to leave! LOL!

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
On 10/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, spinxella said:

JasonCC and Fairydusted, this post by from Spinxella from October 22nd may answer some questions about how and when changes get made with the opening credits.  Beth Maitland discusses her addition to them here.

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

Can you believe DG/Cane is is trolling for signatures again. I swear I got a message from him on IG. He does not want to leave! LOL!

I can believe it. DG has to know this could be the last (and without a doubt the best paying job) he's ever going to have. He's looking at a future of dinner theater, if he's lucky. 

Maybe he can go back to Australia and do Beastmaster: The Geriatric Years.

I'm still in the group of preverts that are not watching the show and just keeping up by reading the comments here. It sounds like the show has gotten stale and boring. There is not a single storyline that I'm reading about that makes me even remotely interested in tuning back in. Well, except the Halloween episode. That sounds like it might have been an interesting one.

• Love 15
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I really don't understand the hate some people have for her.

She literally has never said a bad thing about cast members or the show. People can be such assholes for no reason. There’s characters I hate or actors I dislike and I’d never send them hate. Ridiculous! 

• Love 21
44 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

She literally has never said a bad thing about cast members or the show. People can be such assholes for no reason. There’s characters I hate or actors I dislike and I’d never send them hate. Ridiculous! 

Reason #4,987 why I'm not on Twitter.

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Reason #4,987 why I'm not on Twitter.

FB is no better. Anything or anyone who gets between the stan’s favorite couple (real or imagined) is evil and must be flamed. Then TPTB will have no choice but to put the couple back together. Or so they think.

Edited by Sake614
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Sake614 said:

FB is no better. Anything or anyone who gets between the stan’s favorite couple (real or imagined) is evil and must be flamed. Then TPTB will have no choice but to put the couple back together. Or so they think.

Lol, I'm not on FB either. I have never understood the need to broadcast your business all over the place.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 10/29/2019 at 12:33 PM, JasonCC said:

Didn't really know where was the best place to ask this, but since it's behind-the-scenes/likely contract related I'll put it here.

What ARE the politics of getting yourself in the opening credits exactly? I've noticed most of the big name contracted players are included at least 3 times a week--whether they appear in that episode or not. Much, I suspect, to the chagrin of MTS because she looks particularly dowdy whenever that photoshoot was. 

Yet, there's no Mark Grossman's Adam, Michelle Stafford's Phyllis or--the strangest one since he's been around a while--Michael Mealor's Kyle. Kyle has been front and center stories for a while and they added "new" credit photos of Tessa and Lola and--for like 2 episodes only--Ana (?!?!) but not MM who I am certain is contracted player. They also added new credit for Traci----so it's not like they only have the original 2016 (or whenever they last updated opening sequence) pool of photoshoots and can't add in new ones. That said, I think Chelsea's was just her old one dusted off from before she left. 

I have a suspicion this might be a part of your contract/agent negotiations? Recurring actors seem to be more or less when you appear in an episode, but even that's not entirely consistent. I see Michael Baldwin periodically when he's not in an episode---but is he contract? As opposed to Lauren who seems to be in credits = when she's in the episode (like Christine or Esther)?  Yet, Tessa definitely does not pop up in the credits at every appearance--only periodically. 

Thanks for indulging me with your theories. 

I've been trying for months to figure this out and have tentatively pieced together some bits of information.  Any corrections are welcome!

Clearly Y&R is VERY slow in updating picture credits.  The show-ending credits which play at the end of one episode each week are completely up to date - with alphabetical listing by actor surname of the contract actors, followed by a similar alphabetical listing of recurring actors being featured in that specific week.

But the pictures are significantly out-of-date! In fact, the current opening credits photos go back to a Cast Photo/PR Photo session from a couple of years ago (I'm been told in 2016).  I obtained a copy of that cast photo and, sure enough, the actors are wearing mostly the same clothes that they wear in the current opening credits.  

The good news is that there was a recent Cast Photo/PR Photo session in September (I think the date was Sept 16).  On that day, several actors posted Instagram clips of themselves and other cast members dressed up and made up for new photos.  But how long will it take for us to see them?   Right now, the following contract actors are without opening credit photos -  in alphabetical order by actor surname:   Sean Dominic (Nate); Mark Grossman (Adam); Tyler Johnson (Theo); Michael Mealor (Kyle); Mishael Morgan (Amanda); Brytni Sarpy (Elena); Michelle Stafford (Phyllis); Jordi Vilasuso (Rey)! 

As for a few them, I've been told that there was mini photo shoot in December - the one Beth Maitland speaks about in her article.  Seems that the photos we have seen once (Loren Sharice as Ana) or a few times (Sasha Calle as Lola or Cait Fairbanks as Tessa) were done at this time. 

When MC Egan returned as Chelsea, the show runners would have been able to use her photo from the 2016 (?) shoot.  However, Michelle Stafford was long gone from Y&R before this date, so there would have been no available one of her.  As for using Mishael Morgan's 2016 one, I don't think this would have worked because the show is intent on developing her as new character.  MM was, however, seen in the Instagram clips from the September photo day! 

Edited by Aurora2
Misspelled name
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1

Aurora2: Thanks for that! You know a mini photo shoot 10 months ago or whatever does explain that weird situation where Ana was in the opening credits like once and then let go. It seemed particularly cruel at the time, but in Dec 2018/Jan 2019 it did indeed seem like the writers were going to do more with her character. Hadn't realize the delay between shots taken/shots used would be so long.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 4

However, Michelle Stafford was long gone from Y&R before this date, so there would have been no available one of her. 

Isn't MS that headless woman seen sashaying at the end of the opening credits? They kept that in even while she was over at GH. She probably doesn't care whether she's in the regular credits.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Isn't MS that headless woman seen sashaying at the end of the opening credits? They kept that in even while she was over at GH. She probably doesn't care whether she's in the regular credits.

Yep, that's her. But I can't imagine her being ok with not having her face up there with the rest of the "stars".

• Love 5
1 hour ago, spinxella said:

I'm currently listening to MCE on that podcast. I like her (since her Annie days on AMC), I can't help it.

I still can't buy Theo being Dina's grandson. Great-grandson? Sure. The math doesn't add up for me.

• Love 4

I said the same thing about Theo when they first hinted at it. If Dina had a child before Jack, he would likely be at least 5-6 years older. What are the odds they both had children late in life and at the same time? It’s much more likely that Theo is dina’s great grandson. But Of course this show never makes sense.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, catalogrrr said:

I still can't buy Theo being Dina's grandson. Great-grandson? Sure. The math doesn't add up for me.

But if Kyle is Dina's grandson and Kyle and Theo are about the same age, it isn't too off the mark, is it?

** the issue is that Jack is probably old enough to be Kyle's grandfather!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Honestly what makes it confusing is how old ARE cousins Abby and Kyle supposed to be? Because of the stolen sperm storyline we all know those two cousins should be roughly the same age....but back in the day they did the SORAS on Abby earlier than Kyle (mainly because they recast Diane with Maura West who was only 40ish at the time?). 

Should we believe that now, however, Kyle and Abby are the same age? I feel like they still insinuate Abby is older when she shouldn't be. Perhaps it's just indirect because she's been a main player on the show longer. To me Kyle and Theo both seem about 29 (NYC was grad school for Kyle). Yet Abby seems to have entered that uniquely soap opera world of mysteriously 30something which usually lasts about 20 years (as does mysteriously 40something = another 20 years.....right Phyllis? LOL).

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

But if Kyle is Dina's grandson and Kyle and Theo are about the same age, it isn't too off the mark, is it?

** the issue is that Jack is probably old enough to be Kyle's grandfather!

I've mentioned elsewhere that accepting Kyle as Jack's "late in life" baby is one thing but to say the same thing for Theo (whose father is at least 5-6 years older than Jack) is stretching the limits of credulity. 

Edited by catalogrrr
grammar
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2019 at 9:20 PM, SimoneS said:

Goddard's obnoxious fans can fuck off with him. They are nutjobs who bought into his ego and made him feel like he was above Y&R instead of being a team player and focusing on keeping his job. Bet his mouth fell open when his agent was told that he was done.

I was thinking about how Don Diamont who totally sold Brad's love for Traci who was sweet, timid, and self-conscious about her weight, even though he was obviously a golddigger. The romance didn't last forever since it is a soap, but it established Brad as a major character on the canvas as he was ensconced in the Abbott family and eventually Jabot. It gave Don Diamont a long lasting career.

Goddard should have embraced Cane's romance with Traci and encouraged his fans to rally around them as a couple. Cane would have become a member of the Abbott clan and likely would have ended up working at Jabot where he would have tangled with Billy and Kyle. The romance with Traci would likely have ended after a year or two, but it would have given Cane years of story and screentime and Goddard job security. But nope, he was too young and hot for Traci. Well, hope he enjoys beating the mean Hollywood streets looking for work. Maybe he will end up doing Lifetime movies with Christel Khalil.

LOL I had a few of his freak fans freaking out on me on twitter . I was not hiding my joy. :P

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 10/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, SnK said:

I've been a on and off viewer of Y&R for years.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of why the dislike of DG.  I have no feelings either way but I don't know the history.  I only know that I was kind of looking forward to his characters romance with Tracy it ended abruptly.  I get that DG seem to play a part in that.  Is there more to the story?

He is an arrogant douche bag. IMO

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 10/24/2019 at 7:24 PM, SimoneS said:

how crazy they are. Goddard refused to the romance with Cane and Traci and that is Beth's fault. I swear some soap fans are lunatics. It is only slightly less crazy that the fans who attacked Hunter King because she reported that pervert Muhney's sexual assault. Men behave like assholes and the women get blamed. All these people need to be locked up together in the crazy vault.

OMG yes!!! I have seen so many women trashing HK for turning that creep in.  A WTF moment for sure.

• Love 7

Who was Mitchell Sherman on the show? What era was he on the 1970s & 80s?

ETA: Thanks Jaded! OMG that's the lawyer Amanda mentioned had passed away. He really was on a long time.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 4
On 11/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

I really don't understand the hate some people have for her.

Laners are fucking nasty. The crap they are saying to Beth is off the charts. The crazy fans are guaranteeing that he will never be back. So thanks for that I guess.

• Love 7
On 10/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, Anna Yolei said:

Fuck him and good on whoever it was that sent his ass packing. Hopefully he burned that bridge so throughly that he won't be considered at all for any role on B&B either.

I gotta stop saying things like that 🤦

https://celebratingthesoaps.com/bold-and-the-beautiful/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-spoilers-daniel-goddard-joins-the-bb-cast-as-steffys-new-boyfriend/

Granted, this is *just* a rumor and I don't see Brat Bell giving up his favorite writing convention, but I think it'd be worth the price of admission just to see DG getting the same nasty comments from the Steffy/Liam fans that he's encouraged to be aimed at Beth Maitland and others over the past 13 years.

If he thinks he'll get star treatment on B&B like he did on Y&R, I'd like to remind DG that Jack Wagner ate up the show for years and he got dumped overboard once his character lost relevance and Bell didn't put up much of a fight to keep Ronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Moss around when he got unhappy with getting shafted by the kiddie pool there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I gotta stop saying things like that 🤦

Where is the lie tho? 👀

Yeah the Steffy and Steam fans make the Lane gang look like weak, namby-pambys. There's some soap forums that I come away shook after reading some of the flaming hot stuff they say about anyone they see as a threat to Steffy or Steam. I sure hope that DG spumor isn't true but if it is, he won't last long over there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Mitchell Sherman was a staple on Y&R back in the day. He was Katherine's lawyer and occasional confidant. He occasionally interacted with Victor, but mostly he was Katherine's consigliere. I always liked the actor. Rest in peace, William.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16