Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E09: Tina Fey & Amy Poehler / Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Of course we start with the Republican debate. Oh thank God they brought Darrell Hammond back as Trump, and once again Bobby is Chris Christie because he'd be Ted Cruz is Christie wasn't there. But hell, every single impression was great, especially Jay as Ben Carson (LOVED the glasses at the end). Beck as Jeb is gonna take some getting used to, but hopefully I won't have to.

Monologue: Tina & Amy are magic together. Well, another song monologue but it's Amy and Tina and Christmas so I'll let it slide.

Hillary Clinton Christmas: Of course with Amy around, it was inevitable that we'd be dealing with two Hillarys tonight. I was hoping Ana Gasteyer would show up as Lewinsky-era Hillary...but then Sarah Palin showed up and I should've seen that coming. And it was great.

Meet Your Second Wife: "I'm Helen Walsh" "And I'm Tina Fey." This one was WEIRD, and considering the stuff we've seen the past few weeks, that's saying something. Funny, but weird. This is the sketch everyone will talk about tomorrow besides the Hillary one, I guarantee it.

Hoverboard: They're awesome! And they explode! For those that hate walking but love fires! This was great.

Lesbians: Dumb material, but I loved Tina & Amy doing it. Er, performing it. It just seems to show that Kenan is REALLY good at mugging for the camera, and that it's really weird when anyone else does it.

WU: Kate just killed it as Somebody's Mom. And OF COURSE Tina and Amy would take the Update desk together one last time. In 2015.

Chad & Mrs. Douglas Show: Maya! And singing as trashed as possible could only lead to funny. Well, she's gotta play someone now that playing Whitney Houston the same way is in bad taste. That Cosby bit would've been better if South Park hadn't done the same thing a year ago.

Tina & Amy's Dope Squad: This was great. Amy Schumer showing up was a nice plus.

Bronx Beat: This is back! Oh man, if Betty and Jodi were impressed with a Philly accent, imagine if they met someone from Boston. I said it before, but I'm from NY so I know lots of people like Betty & Jodi.

Goodnights: Of course no Christmas show with Bruce Springsteen would be complete without "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." And holy crap, Paul McCartney showing up out of nowhere.

This seemed to be The Tina & Amy Show (and friends). I'm not complaining, though. It was such a solid, solid episode. The Lesbians sketch and Bronx Beat I wasn't really feeling, but still, solid episode.

Next time: Adam Driver on January 16th! I'm hoping for Star Wars material! (Most of the people who would've seen Force Awakens would've seen it by then, I hope)

• Love 9

For most of the show, it was like the hosts decided to do away with the cast and just handle it all themselves with "a few extras" thrown in for set dressing. It was still a decent show, but definitely did not give me the feeling of "the hosts meshing with the cast" which is usually what makes a show good. Maybe the cast was happy to have the week off.

Lots of kids this week, too.

Again, not complaining. But it really stood out for me.

I do feel like we ought to have seen Jebediah on WU, though. Who else is really qualified to do a seasonal wrap up? Well, Kate can do anything, but I would have liked to see Taran's Jebediah again also.

• Love 6

The Monologue - I like to laugh, just as much as the next person.  But, as a Christian I found this the most offensive thing they have had on in quite a while.  The rest was fine.   Someone asked what was offensive - I just didn't like that they took a real event - Herod killing all the male children in Israel under 2 years old - and making that the "joke" of the serious side.  

Edited by Shopgirl406
  • Love 6

Cold Open: This was pretty good. I much prefer Darrell's Trump to Taran's, and it frees Taran up to do Cruz, who honestly does have the most punchable face I've ever seen. NewGuy (sorry, he's had approximately 1 minute total of screentime this season so far, idk whether to even bother with his name at this point) did a better Wolf Blitzer than Anderson Cooper. Like it felt like his Anderson Cooper was supposed to be Wolf Blitzer the last time. Idk. If he's not gone after this season I'll jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Monologue: Kinda annoyed they did a song monologue with these two (when am I not annoyed at song monologues?) but it was good I guess. I feel like the joke got lost on a lot of people though, the audience wasn't really responding to it.

The Hillary's: THIS IS EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER WANTED. I love Kate as Clinton but Amy's is obviously a classic and Tina as Palin is arguably the greatest thing to ever happen to this show. Everything about this worked really well, all three ladies had great chemistry and I didn't want it to end.

Meet Your Second Wife: This was dark as hell and I LOVED it. I was positive for Kenan that they were going to bring a baby out in a stroller but the fact that she was still a fetus was even better. "And I'm Tina Fey." Amazing.

Hoverboards: These things are dumb and I hate them and I'm so glad they're exploding and being banned from the city. It was funny to see Pete do this sketch though because he's obsessed with his.

Acting Coach: Kenan's done this character before. I didn't really like it this time or last time but Tina and Amy did a good job with the reactions.

Weekend Update: This might have been the most solid Colin&Michael Update ever. The last time I thought that was the first episode after the 40th anniversary special. There must be something about having Tina and Amy around that helps these guys wake up. And of course they came back for the last jokes. It felt so very right. Also, Kate continuing to eat through her bit was amazing. The woman is incredible.

Variety Show: I didn't think it was that great until the Cosby bit, though it is always great to see Maya. Was the show they were talking about a real thing, does anyone know?

Tina and Amy's Dope Squad: This was such a fucking clapback to Taylor Swift's stupid #squad business, I'm screaming. Instead of just having random models and actresses that they don't really know and only hang out with for Instagram likes, these were all women that were actually significant parts of their lives and that they actually knew and liked/loved. I loved seeing Amy Schumer again too.

Bronx Beat: This has always been one of my favorite sketches. Tina's Philly accent SLAYED me. I'm from the town next to where she grew up, and that "wuter" business is literally the most unholy thing I have ever heard and I thank God every day that my parents taught me how to pronounce that word correctly. Also, she namechecked Wawa. TINA COME BACK TO PHILLY WE CAN GO GET HOAGIES AT WAWA TOGETHER AND BE BEST FRIENDS.

It did feel like the Tina&Amy show but I can't hate because they are the original baes. I'm so excited to see Sisters tomorrow and not Star Wars. Suck it, nerds!

Also I was never super familiar with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band beyond their songs that get used a lot, so seeing Silvio from The Sopranos playing guitar and wearing a headscarf and looking so joyful is always such a bizarre and wonderful experience.

Adam Driver is...random. I mean I know he's in Star Wars but I feel of all the actors in the new one he's the one I see least in promotional material and interviews. Also the hype around Girls has, uh, significantly waned in the past couple of years. I mean I know literally nothing about him as an actor so he could be great, I just wouldn't be surprised if the talent department exhausted every single other Star Wars actor before getting to him. Ok, I'll stop being mean now. Happy holidays, everybody!

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 6

I had high hopes for this episode. Didn't really like it, which was too bad.

The cold open made me think it would be a fabulous show. Carson mispronounced something...can't remember what but I was dying.

The glasses on Carson was probably the best sight gag SNL has ever done. That was so damn funny.

Then it all went downhill. Didn't laugh again until WE.

If there were inside jokes going on with Tina and Amy, I didn't get any of them.

• Love 2

It was OK.  Tina and Amy are good in their sleep, but I feel like my expectations were so high for this one that I was kinda let down a bit.  I don't know.  I was hoping it would match the first Fallon Christmas show, and I don't think it came close to that.

For most of the show, it was like the hosts decided to do away with the cast and just handle it all themselves with "a few extras" thrown in for set dressing. It was still a decent show, but definitely did not give me the feeling of "the hosts meshing with the cast" which is usually what makes a show good.

I do mostly agree with this.   I feel like Kenan got used the most because they do know him the best.

Kinda annoyed they did a song monologue with these two (when am I not annoyed at song monologues?) but it was good I guess. I feel like the joke got lost on a lot of people though, the audience wasn't really responding to it.

I don't mind singing monologues at all.  In fact, I think they get a bad rap in general.  But this one was underwhelming.   I agree the joke of it didn't really hit.

Darrell's Trump is just in a different league.  I know they had to switch people around just for the sheer volume of candidates, but they really should just let him keep doing it.

I did love Meet Your Second Wife.   It was just so dark and clever. I took The "And I'm Tina Fey" as maybe saying she wrote it?   It definitely had that vibe to it.

And "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" made the whole show.  Loved Bruce asking Tina, Amy, Maya, and Paul if they all had been good.  Heh.

Acting Coach: Kenan's done this character before. I didn't really like it this time or last time but Tina and Amy did a good job with the reactions.

The highlight was Amy doing a George Jefferson walk.  I don't care if it's a dated reference the kids won't get, it was great.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I had much higher expectations. Another singing monologue and it wasn't funny at all. I did enjoy Meet Your Second Wife and I loved Paul showing up for Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Dope Squad was good, but most of the rest was disappointing. Good to see Maya and Amy Schumer but I thought there'd be a lot more cameos. Having Paul cameo made up for a lot of it, although it seemed like he didn't sing much.

All in all, one of the less enjoyable SNL Christmas shows.

• Love 2

My apologies if this has been posted before by someone faster and wittier than me, but I'd have killed to have had the Trump episode hosted by "Trump" played by Hammond the whole time.

As for the show, I didn't care that it was basically the Tina & Amy & friends show, as it gave me a good, nostalgic feeling I allow myself now and again.

But serious question: Was Sir Paul even mic'd?  I couldn't hear a peep from him!

• Love 5

I feel a bit ambivalent towards this episode. There were elements that I really liked of it like "Meet Your Second Wife" and the Variety Show Best Of (I wouldn't mind seeing this as semi-recurring). And I'm pleased that this wasn't as cameo-heavy as I thought it'd be. And Kate's "somebody's mom" character was pretty funny. They should get together with Anthony Crispino. Now that's a duo that would be really fascinating. Also Springsteen is always good and I like that he got a third song/credits performance though I really wish he did "Merry Christmas Baby" instead of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Also I loved the completely random Gayle King cameo. That made me laugh really hard for some reason. 

Yet, the stuff that didn't work really didn't work. I don't mind singing monologues in terms of Christmastime but man that was lacking in any real oomph. Acting Coach was extremely lame and I wasn't too huge on the Hillarys either. And Bronx Beat was never my thing either. 

It had some really good parts of it but it just didn't work for me. 

Loved Kate and Amy and Tina as Hilary 2012, Hilary 2008 and Sarah Palin and the "Meet Your Second Wife" sketch.

Nice to see Paul McCartney show up with Bruce and the E Street Band at the end, mostly because it led to tweets like this:

Matt ‏@Sole_kid 46m46 minutes ago

Not gonna lie, I saw that Paul McCartney was trending so I had to click to see if he was still breathing.

• Love 2

it frees Taran up to do Cruz, who honestly does have the most punchable face I've ever seen.

Just wanted to add that I don't know.   That drug hiking ponzi guy Colin was going after is also a high candidate for that.  That's what I kept thinking when they showed his picture.  And he has it coming in my gentle estimation.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

Jon Rudnitzky seemed to be playing Anderson Cooper-as-flamboyantly-gay-with-a-beard-as-Wolf-Blitzer.

They finally did a Republican debate sketch. They finally got somebody to play Jeb Bush and candidate Marco Rubio. It was about time. (I know somebody played Rubio years ago.) Although Bush is losing badly, he's been a big storyline in this presidential race over the past year. And Rubio seems like the betting favorite to actually be the Republican nominee. I'm not saying there are parallels, but it reminds me, if I recall correctly, that SNL took forever to get somebody to play Obama eight years ago.

For a few seconds, I thought that was actually Donald Trump. Then I came to realize that Hammond is so, so valuable.

The Meet Your Second Wife sketch was so perfect because it's so true....Howard Stern is 18 years older than his 2nd wife.... Kevin Nealon is 18 years older than his second wife, too...Jerry Seinfeld is 17 years older than his first wife....I could go on and on.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 5

I thought the show was pretty solid. But my favorite things were in the last 10 minutes. Bronx Beat was always one of my favorite skits. I can't say "pool noodle" without thinking of it in Maya's voice. Then Paul McCartney showing up! Day made!

• Love 1
I did love Meet Your Second Wife.   It was just so dark and clever. I took The "And I'm Tina Fey" as maybe saying she wrote it?  It definitely had that vibe to it.

I took it as Tina making a dig at herself, like, "Yep, this is just the sort of low rent job I would take nowadays." Which isn't true so wasn't funny to me, but if she was going for something else, it went over my head.

I loved the photos of Amy and Tina when they bumped to/from commercials, especially the one of them as puppet elves!

Edited by lordonia

My only problem with Dope Squad was that Tina did something similar when she hosted and sang "I'm every woman" in her monologue.

Finally they let Daryll do Trump! I mean he's already there people!!

Edited by tomsmom
  • Love 1

I loved the Hilary's and Tina skit that actually made me lol. That was the best skit I saw (but I turned it off during the lesbian skit, since I was falling asleep). The opening was good too. It's hard to believe there are still that many canadents in. 

• Love 1

Jon Rudnitzky seemed to be playing Anderson Cooper-as-flamboyantly-gay-with-a-beard-as-Wolf-Blitzer.

I didn't notice that, but Jay seems to play Ben Carson as gay. I may be the only person who doesn't like his impression.

For the most part, I loved this ep. Hammond as Trump is perfect. I loved the interactions betw him and Jeb. Or Jebra. I thought Beck did a pretty good Jeb, esp the voice. Well, probably ONLY the voice because he doesn't look like him at all, but that doesn't matter to me.

I also love when Blitzer told Rand Paul there would be no questions from the audience, and Paul says, "No, I'm Rand Paul. I'm up here." The way he said that cracked me up.

I didn't care for the singing monologue. I don't hate them in principle, but this one wasn't funny and was esp disappointing because it was Amy and Tina. I did enjoy Kenan, Taran, and Bobby as the backup singers.

The Hillary sketch was fantastic. My favorite part was when 2008 Hillary was about to send an email, and 2015 Hillary grabbed the phone and smashed it.

The Meet Your Second Wife sketch was also fantastic. Just spot on and well done. Loved Leslie's reactions from the audience. 

The other sketch in my top three is Bronx Beat. I wasn't watching SNL when this was on (as a recurring sketch, I assume), but I completely enjoyed this. The characters are so much fun.

I also liked Tina and Amy's Dope Squad. 

I didn't particularly like The Chad and Mrs Douglas Show Time-Life thing. Maya was kind of enjoyable, but the rest was sort of a bore. Oh, I did get a chuckle out of Bill Cosby being there.

The lesbian movie thing was promising, but then we got Kenan as the Jefferson acting coach. I often find Kenan funny, but not here. The best part was Amy doing the Jefferson dance.

I liked the hoverboard commercial. I loved Kate's Deenie. Eating salmon: "My favorite parts are the skin and the grey part along the bottom." Another great character in her roster.

The ending with Bruce singing Santa Claus is Coming to Town was so good and happy and perfect.

Oh, and I loved Amy's white dress when she introduced his second performance. (edited to change 'Tina' to 'Amy')

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

I was probably a tiny bit disappointed overall, but I really liked the stinging social commentary that seemed to be a unifying factor across much of the show. Men with their child brides, men directing women how to act, women showing what a REAL grown up squad entails (albeit it highly privileged one)...I dug it.

Thought the monologue was pretty crappy; not for religious reasons, just because it was kind of meh for two people with their talents.

I could look at Bruce in that shirt all day, but probably only listen to him in limited doses at this point. The sound mixing and/or actual performances made that first song sound like a high school garage band. I was overjoyed at the last song. It just makes me happy, even though Clarence wasn't there (I missed that little chat in the lyrics; pouring some out for Clarence) and I couldn't quite figure out why Sir Paul was.

• Love 2

I took it as Tina making a dig at herself, like, "Yep, this is just the sort of low rent job I would take nowadays." Which isn't true so wasn't funny to me, but if she was going for something else, it went over my head.

I just thought she was making a point to own the rather stinging commentary, but I could be wrong.

I thought Tina and Amy were deliberately trying not upstage Jost and Che.   I wanted them to really go off on a rant or something.

And Rubio seems like the betting favorite to actually be the Republican nominee.

I don't know.  I think a lot of insiders think Cruz has a great shot.  That's why I wondered if they are trying to transition Taran to him, so he's set up for the long haul.   I would prefer Bobby have Cruz though.   I guess Taran did OK with it, but there didn't seem to be much there.

I also noticed Cecily took over Carly Fiorina when Kate had played her previously.  I just found that interesting.

Edited by vb68
I was probably a tiny bit disappointed overall, but I really liked the stinging social commentary that seemed to be a unifying factor across much of the show. Men with their child brides, men directing women how to act, women showing what a REAL grown up squad entails (albeit it highly privileged one)...I dug it.

The period drama sketch was a recurring one from last season's Chris Hemsworth episode with Kenan playing the same ridiculous director who had Hemsworth and Kate McKinnon react in an exaggerated sitcommy way like in The Jeffersons so I don't think there was any social commentary about it with it being two women this time. It was probably just a nod to the recent movie Carol with Cate Blanchett about a Lesbian romance in the 50s.

I loved pretty much everything about this one.  Meet Your Second Wife is a sketch we immediately rewound and watched again, just to catch all the little things we might have missed the first time.  Hard to pick a favorite part, but I think it's between Taran's "oooooooh noooooo" and Tina's "yeah, you're daughter's going to love it."  

If we didn't get "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" for the goodbyes, I was going to be so disappointed. Loved Sir Paul showing up (him being one of the masters of the third song in the goodbyes and all).   

Two Hillary's and a Sarah was great.  (Although a tiny part of me wishes we would have had a Bill "oh God, they're multiplying again" quick shot).  

Every time my 13 year old hears "Baby, it's Cold Outside," he says "it's the Bill Cosby Christmas song!"  So, naturally, he loved that little bit.  

I hate to ever be shallow about anything Tina/Amy, but this isn't technically about them, so much as fashion in general, so...  Who the hell designed that awful dress Tina was wearing in the monologue?  It's not a slight on her - I can't imagine anyone wearing that dress and me ever thinking anything other than "who the hell thought this was something that would look good on anyone ever?"  That was an aggressively awful dress. 

Overall, I loved this episode. My birthday was yesterday, and when I saw the "Next week..." card during last week's episode, I might have done an undignified squee.  This was definitely SNL's birthday present to me.  

• Love 3
The period drama sketch was a recurring one from last season's Chris Hemsworth episode with Kenan playing the same ridiculous director who had Hemsworth and Kate McKinnon react in an exaggerated sitcommy way like in The Jeffersons so I don't think there was any social commentary about it with it being two women this time. It was probably just a nod to the recent movie Carol with Cate Blanchett about a Lesbian romance in the 50s.

Yeah, I remember that and also felt like it was a nod to Carol. Just because it was a man and a woman last time doesn't mean there isn't social commentary underlying it this time...multiple things can be true at once.

• Love 1

I'm on the West coast.  On the East coast, did you get a really weird intro to the "Meet your second wife" sketch where the announcer kept starting and stopping before they finally introduced the contestants?  Weird.

It was a good episode, which was expected.  No obviously clunky sketches.  Good end to the year.

• Love 2

This is what an SNL Christmas show is supposed to be! It nearly wiped the bad memory from last year out of my brain! Fast and funny opening, (so-so monologue, I agree), great timing, cameos, Christmas song--and Sir Paul! Loved the Hillaries, Bronx Beat, Second Wife and Dope Squad--I laughed out loud at Amy Shumer's appearance--she's overexposed, but I still think she's the bomb. I could have done without Bruce, just not a fan, but I get why people love him, it just looks so painful when he sings, and that first song was annoying. Great show, it's staying on my DVR awhile for sure. Almost hit the heights of Jimmy Fallon's first Christmas episode (a classic through and through).

Edited by cpcathy

I'm on the West coast.  On the East coast, did you get a really weird intro to the "Meet your second wife" sketch where the announcer kept starting and stopping before they finally introduced the contestants?  Weird.

It was a good episode, which was expected.  No obviously clunky sketches.  Good end to the year.

I got that too, but I'm in AZ. Not sure if that happened back east.

I spent years getting rid of my Philly accent, so I appreciated that sketch a lot. But overall this wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I don't mind Jost and Che, but I was hoping Tina and Amy would do the entire weekend update. Oh well.

Yes, that happened here too.  Technical glitch I guess.

Last night's show was great!  The lowlight for me was the monologue - such a shame to do a singing monologue with two talented former cast members hosting.  I haven't cared much for Tina's two previous monologues when she hosted, but Amy's dream sequence monologue from a few years ago is one of my favorites.  I thought when they came out last night in evening gowns they were going to spoof their Golden Globes hosting experience by making jibes at themselves or other former/current cast members.   

I forgot about Carol; my initial reaction was that the lesbian sketch was referencing The Children's Hour. But I think in that one, the attraction was unrequited. Still, it echoed.

The thing I didn't like about the monologue was Tina calling Kenan, Taran, and Bobby a gay chorus, as though that was supposed to embarrass them. Guess what? Being gay isn't inherently funny, and being thought gay when you aren't is also not inherently funny. I thought were were past that shit.

On the other hand, I loved her taking the piss out of both Cosby and that rapey song. I didn't know it had been done before on The Simpsons.

Agree about Tina's dress being horrifying-- it was the straps, right? They just looked uncomfortable and weird.

To the Christian who was offended by the monologue, can you explain why? I'm not Christian, so it was a big blur to me, but I'm curious why you didn't like it. To me, the joke looked like it was just supposed to be the contrast between the serious and the sultry attitudes of each song, but I wasn't really tracking the details of what the "serious" text was saying. Either way, I didn't find it particularly funny, but I didn't really catch that it would offend.

Loved Kate's new WU character, and how she was eating the whole time. Why is it that everything she does is so charming? I dn't like the similar Crispino character nearly as much. Does salmon usually have a rep for smelling bad, though? Che was complaining from the far side of the desk!

I can't tell if the primary season is so funny this year that it's impossible NOT to make it funny, or if they are hitting it out of the park because they're good, but I always find the political stuff funny. Though I agree that Rudnitzky's Blitzer was uncannily similar to his Cooper, and Anderson C and Wolf B really don't strike me as similar in any way in real life, so ... WTF? Maybe they should do a sketch though, where they have the names of media personalities sub in for Santa's reindeer in "Twas the Night Before Christmas"-- On Cooper! On Pelley! On Maddow! On Blitzer! ...

• Love 1

Loved Meet Your Second Wife and the "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" close. Such a happy way to close the year. Though as noted above, I couldn't hear Sir Paul either. 

Amy Schumer not knowing how to use numchuks in the Dope Squad sketch was probably my biggest laugh of the night. Either that or Leslie Jone's reactions during the second wife sketch. 

I wasn't sure how a two-host setup would work, but if any pair could pull it off, it was definitely Amy and Tina. 

• Love 4

I loved the comment by Tina and Amy regarding the future during the "Second Wives" sketch (when some of the first wives looked annoyed): "We don't make it, we just know it."

I LOLed at the George Jefferson walk. Imagine if you asked someone for a kiss and they got up and did the GJ walk? Yeah, that person ain't getting a kiss from me. Interesting as an acting choice, though. Kenan's horrendously bad director character is funny; obvious, but funny.

Another interesting choice, Bruce's second song. Always good to hear anything from The River. An album that came out before most of the current cast was born...

Not surprising that there's this resentful hate towards Goddess Taylor Swift.

You could argue that it's more condescending to act like the main people in your lives are people you pay to do things for you - like how in that awful Crash Sandra Bullock was like "oh you're my best friend, maid." But no, it's apparently disgusting to have friends who are famous because obviously you are only friends with them because they're famous. No famous people are friends with each other without ulterior calculated motives.

But I'm glad to see that Taylor's impact is so massive that that's the season's 2nd sketch specifically about Taylor's friends.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2
The thing I didn't like about the monologue was Tina calling Kenan, Taran, and Bobby a gay chorus, as though that was supposed to embarrass them. Guess what? Being gay isn't inherently funny, and being thought gay when you aren't is also not inherently funny. I thought were were past that shit.

I re-watched it and they didn't look offended or embarrassed by being called "gay men's chorus" they just shrugged their shoulders and were like "Y'okay." I think it was more a reference to the real "Gay men's chorus". I live in San Francisco so they're ubiquitous, especially during the holidays.

• Love 1

Who the hell designed that awful dress Tina was wearing in the monologue?  It's not a slight on her - I can't imagine anyone wearing that dress and me ever thinking anything other than "who the hell thought this was something that would look good on anyone ever?"  That was an aggressively awful dress.

I actually didn't like it either at first but then I saw a longer shot that made it look like it might have been a jumpsuit, perhaps? Which makes it a little more interesting. And unusual, because Tina is pretty conservative when it comes to dressing up.

Bugged me too. Not sure if that was her joke, but I have always found her politics (for lack of a better word) a bit cryptic.

I would prefer Bobby have Cruz though.

He was WONDERFUL as Cruz last season when the Rock hosted.  He has his smarmy voice down cold. But I guess they needed him as a Christie, and he's a great Christie, too. When Cruz wins the nomination (groan), I hope they revert back to Bobby for this.

Not surprising that there's this resentful hate towards Goddess Taylor Swift.

A few years ago Tina and Amy made a funny and pretty mild joke about Taylor at the Golden Globes (briefly: Michael J Fox's son was "Mr. Golden Globe", giving out the awards, and they jokingly warned Taylor to keep away from him. A joke about her going through boyfriends, as well as a recent relationship with a young Kennedy kid who was still in high school.  Taylor got very huffy and said, "There's a special place in hell for a woman who doesn't help another woman."  If you're interested, Amy's response was pitch-perfect.)

The show was pretty jam-packed, but had they some time to spare, I wouldn't mind a repeat of last year's "Christmas Mass Spectacular" or "Sumthin' Claus."

• Love 3

Given that her time writing the show continued the usual "hilarious" scenes of men kissing other men (and it's so disgusting and sick...lol!), I'm not that surprised. SNL always sees gay men as a sick joke, and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

• Love 1

Yeah, I can't hate on the Swift shade. I respect Swift as a businessperson, but her perpetual self-victimization is unbearable and her public image is so very obviously meticulously manufactured that I can't believe anyone with a lick of common sense buys into her "I'm so relatable and real" shtick. Granted, most pop stars are manufactured to sell singles for $1.29 to 12-year-old girls, but it's the insistence by the media that she's just so adorkable and honest and the ultimate feminist that grinds my gears. So, yeah, shade away, SNL. Not to mention the fact that this is a comedy show and anyone in the public eye can and should be up for mockery. I don't think it's personal, either, on the part of the show or Tina&Amy. It's valid satire/criticism. I'm sure Taylor is wiping her tears with hundred dollar bills over it.

• Love 9

They were not booing. They were saying Bruuuuuuce.

Hee I loved Tina in Bronx Beat.the Liberty Bell, Wawa and "wudder" such Philly things was there no mention of Cheesesteaks (I can't remember)

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 4

I remember some VH1 documentary thing where Tom Petty talked about playing after Bruce and one of Petty's bandmates said backstage about the audience as Springsteen was performing, "They're booing!" and Petty said "It's worse. They're yelling 'Bruuuuuuce'!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

The show was pretty jam-packed, but had they some time to spare, I wouldn't mind a repeat of last year's "Christmas Mass Spectacular" or "Sumthin' Claus."

Two of my favorites. I watch Christmas Mass Spectacular at least once a week. 

• Love 1

Whole lot of the women currently on the show got shunted to the sidelines for this episode, which kind of annoyed me.  They could have done some good sketches but no, most just got cameos.

Also, why didn't Tina and Amy host all of Weekend Update last night?

Bruce and E Street are never wrong in my book.  That is all.

Surprised to see Maya Rudolph.  Loved her as the drunk singer messing up "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and throwing presents at those poor kids.  Cosby popping up during the "Baby, it's Cold Outside" part was a good punchline though almost to be expected.

The Meet Your Future Wife skit was fantastic, though they screw up the audio at the start up.  Had to switch channels in embarrassment for a couple seconds.

• Love 1

Bugged me too. Not sure if that was her joke, but I have always found her politics (for lack of a better word) a bit cryptic.

Agreed. I often find Fey's comedy really sharp and insightful, but sometimes she does go for the cheap joke. And occasionally it feels like those cartoony, anything-for-a-laugh moments aren't just cheap -- that they're hiding a kind of mean-spirited hipster nihilism. Like how Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt starts out as this edgy but empathetic look at a woman who refuses to be defined by the trauma in her past, but in its last few episodes becomes this sneering satire about how small-town folks are stupid, gullible rubes.

• Love 4