Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: The Platonic Permutation

Now just friends, Sheldon and Amy spend Thanksgiving at the aquarium; a reluctant Wolowitz volunteers at a soup kitchen with Bernadette, Raj and Emily; and Penny realizes that Leonard knows a bit more about her than he's let on.

Wow. Did not see that ending coming.

I have to give credit where credit is due: Sheldon showed remarkable maturity. He offered both of the tickets to Amy with no strings attached, and when she suggested that they go as friends he did his best to be polite. He even gave her some genuine compliments. And I'm sorry, but I don't blame him for turning down Amy's offer to get back together. This was his first relationship.. Even though the breakup was his fault, it hit him pretty hard, and it's understandable that he doesn't want to jump right back in when Amy seemingly has a change of heart. And considering how much of an ass he's been in the past, he handled it rather kindly.

I did feel for Amy though.

I could have lived a long life without the sight of Leonard in lingerie.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 16

I adore that Johnny was willing to do that. I'm curious where the boobs came from though.

I had so many actual laughs, none more so than when Howard squirted the water when he met Elon. And am I supposed to know who that is? I gather he's the chairman of Tesla or somesuch?

Moist is the WORST word.

• Love 6

Wow, the writers are throwing Mayim at that Emmy as hard as they can, aren't they? She's putting her all into it too. Man I've been rooting for her to win for years (and not for a small part to see #Blossomwinsanemmy trend), and I think the writers are starting to really back her up now that Jim Parsons isn't a sure win anymore.

I thought Sheldon was very good this episode. Still a touch ass-ish, but mostly very good behavior.

Am I the only one who felt like Johnny Galecki was putting his all into the lingerie thing to try and cheer Kaley up now that her marriage is ending? Good for him for being so game.

• Love 7

The ending was a bit sad, but I loved the entire episode.

I loved Howard meeting Elon Musk. I loved the "Siri" opener - "Grandma butts"?  I loved Penny and Leonard's fight and how Leonard made up to Penny - that was hilarious! (And I loved how they cut off the scene when the gang walked in on him so we didn't have to see him explain it.)  And I loved the way they handled Sheldon and Amy, although I was a bit surprised at the ending.

• Love 6
Whenever a show has a long scene with someone driving a car, and there's no really specific reason they need to be in a car, I am on edge the entire time waiting for the accident. So I was really glad that they didn't go there with that.

Me, too.  I kept chanting at the TV, don't crash, don't crash!

I thought that going to a Thanksgiving buffet at the aquarium was an odd thing to do, but apparently, it's an event at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach:  http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/thanksgiving_lunch/. Now that I think of it, it might be kind of a fun thing to do.

• Love 2

Wow, the writers are throwing Mayim at that Emmy as hard as they can, aren't they? She's putting her all into it too. Man I've been rooting for her to win for years (and not for a small part to see #Blossomwinsanemmy trend), and I think the writers are starting to really back her up now that Jim Parsons isn't a sure win anymore.

So nice to see I'm not alone in this sentiment.  Don't want to jinx it, but I feel like next year might be the one for Mayim.  She really deserves it.  Jim Parsons has so much hardware now even he's probably tired of awards at this point.  Nice episode in a solid season so far.  I've regained my love for this show.  I too felt sad for Amy.  And yet I kind of hope the writers go the bolder route and have each of them wind up with some else (even though that will make the cast even more bloated).  Now a series regular, Emily is still doing absolutely nothing for me.  I'll always wonder why they didn't stick with Yvette the Vet.  She had more chem with Raj in a 5 minute scene than he and Emily have shown in more than a season.

• Love 11

Whenever a show has a long scene with someone driving a car, and there's no really specific reason they need to be in a car, I am on edge the entire time waiting for the accident. So I was really glad that they didn't go there with that.

I think the specific reason is that usually when Sheldon and Amy talk on the phone, it's a video chat (as with earlier in the episode). That even would have made more sense, since asking him to get back together is something best done face-to-face. (I mean, it's how she broke up with him in the first place.) But in order to prevent him from seeing how crushed she was (and the audience from having to experience her reaction even more painfully) they had her call while in her car to avoid the face-to-face conversation.

• Love 6

I thought Sheldon's response to Amy's request to get back together was disappointing, a tiny bit cold and selfish. I had hoped he'd learned how hard a breakup can be and would be a tiny bit more compassionate. Apparently, he's still Sheldon, LOL.

Loved all the high notes mentioned above. Hard to believe Penny wouldn't know Leonard's birthday, though.

• Love 1

Loved all the high notes mentioned above. Hard to believe Penny wouldn't know Leonard's birthday, though.

Especially since she went to so much trouble to arrange that surprise birthday party for him, years ago.

• Love 13

Especially since she went to so much trouble to arrange that surprise birthday party for him, years ago.

Yes, that's riiiight. Disappointing. But it kept the bit going.

• Love 1

Honestly, I thought it was ridiculous for Amy to propose getting back together without them ever discussing why they broke up in the first place. One pleasant encounter does not erase all the ways they were incompatible and any of the reasons she wanted out.

• Love 18

That ending really got to me and totally showcased Mayim's acting.  Once TBBT ends, I suspect she will have lots of offers for new jobs.

Did anyone else think that Johnny Galecki really seemed to be channeling Simon Helberg during the bit about how his voice goes up when he lies? The line delivery and facial expressions just really reminded me of him stylistically.

So, um, Sheldon and Amy were broken up for, what, 5 seconds? Seemed like that to me. I may be a Shamy fan, but I did not want them to get back together this season (or at least until the final episode of the season). I wanted Sheldon to do some actual dating, so that he could really start to appreciate what Amy brought to his life. The way this whole arc has gone so far, I'm very underwhelmed. 

Also: When are Leonard and Penny going to act a little more like a newly married couple? Sure, they've been together for a while now, but I keep expecting to see Leonard maybe giving Penny a little squeeze or an extra smooch at breakfast or in the kitchen when they are bantering. I mean, he's married now! It's official! His dream has come true! I expected him to be in a bit of a honeymoon mode. To me, they're disappointingly "same ol' same ol'".

• Love 4
I've been confused, especially with her dating. I thought she just wanted a break to think things over. I guess she was using the Ross from Friends definition of break.

She did initially just say she needed a break but Sheldon kept pushing her to see her and spend time with her so it became a break-up. 

• Love 4

I don't recall that Amy was trying to change Sheldon. She wanted some basic adult respect and consideration from him. He has made no attempt to even understand how she felt and it seems like she just let him off the hook for ever having to.

• Love 16

I don't recall that Amy was trying to change Sheldon. She wanted some basic adult respect and consideration from him. He has made no attempt to even understand how she felt and it seems like she just let him off the hook for ever having to.

Right. And in relationships, as time goes by, people can manage to evolve and mature. I wouldn't say that Amy wanted Sheldon to change (as a previous poster was saying). She likes him for who he is, but I don't think it's unreasonable for her to expect Sheldon to grow into the relationship a little. Relationships take effort from both individuals.

• Love 8

Sheldon really needs to realize the depth of his feelings for Amy before they get back together.  Like what was said upthread, maybe date other women so he realizes how great Amy is, or have something dire happen to her (like a car or work accident) that he realizes he may lose her.

• Love 2

I thought Sheldon's response to Amy's request to get back together was disappointing, a tiny bit cold and selfish. I had hoped he'd learned how hard a breakup can be and would be a tiny bit more compassionate. Apparently, he's still Sheldon, LOL.

If there's a time to be selfish, it's deciding whether to be in a relationship with someone. You shouldn't make that decision based on how it will make them feel.

That said, it didn't seem like a very Sheldon response to me. He's always been happy to move back to a previous status quo he liked better, like when Leonard tried to move out.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 3

I agree they shouldn't rush Amy and Sheldon back together but I don't think Sheldon should be dating anyone else.  He was never interested in dating at all until Amy came along, and even with Amy it took awhile for him to admit she was anything other than a friend who was a girl.  Sheldon loves Amy that doesn't mean he's ready to try and love someone else.

• Love 7

This was apparently last night's vanity card. (I didn't DVR it, so I can't confirm.)

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #509

R.I.P.

Network Television

1948 - 2015

CBS recently announced that it was bringing back the series Star Trek, but not for the CBS network, for a streaming video on demand system called CBS All Access. In lieu of flowers, CBS has requested that mourners send them six bucks a month.

• Love 7

Although I felt sorry for Amy, I am happy for her that Sheldon turned down her offer.  She is better off not dating him and I am glad he may have kept her from "loving him from afar" and will now move on to someone who is better for her.  Just because they had fun as friends at the aquarium doesn't mean that he will be a good boyfriend.  

I think Sheldon needs to date some other women so the he will understand that what Amy wanted - kindness, respect, etc... - is what all potential girlfriends want.  

• Love 5

I was surprised after just one date that Amy wanted to get back together.  I thought it was premature on her part.  If they had been spending a bunch of time together, I could see it.

Oh, no way. Amy loves Sheldon and is very bonded to him. In cases like that, it only takes a very short interlude to send the sparks flying again. A phone conversation will do it. That was The Show's way of letting us know that Amy's feelings are genuine.

• Love 3

The Amy/Sheldon relationship has gotten interesting this season. Maybe because it has gotten a little more grown up and they are talking like real people. I like the fact that it was Amy who ended up wanting a relationship again and Sheldin turned her down not for any logical reason but just because the breakup had taken too much out of him.

I also liked the Leonard and Penny stuff and the very real discussions couples have even those that have known each other for a long time might have differing degrees of knowledge of each other's stuff. I could see Leoneaf obsessing over Penny and knowing every little detail because she told him but Penny letting things fall by the wayside because she is hot and Leonard wasn't previously expecting all that much from her. Now that they are married Penny has to up her game.

I like the show when it is "grown up". You can find comedy is real life grown up stuff and he'll growing up. Life is funny that way.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

The Amy/Sheldon relationship has gotten interesting this season. Maybe because it has gotten a little more grown up and they are talking like real people. I like the fact that it was Amy who ended up wanting a relationship again and Sheldin turned her down not for any logical reason but just because the breakup had taken too much out of him.

I was kind of shocked when Sheldon said that he was really good at things except for getting over her. That was a mature realization for him and it felt like it was something he realized in the moment (good acting!). It felt real to me. I really enjoyed this episode and the Sheldon/Amy stuff in particular.

• Love 4

So, um, Sheldon and Amy were broken up for, what, 5 seconds? Seemed like that to me.

I agree it's been unclear how much time has passed, but since this episode was explicitly Thanksgiving, I think it's implied it's been at least four months since the breakup, if not longer. It's harder to tell this season since even though it's implied summer passed, no one was on a boat or in Antarctica or anything to clearly delineate the break.

I was surprised after just one date that Amy wanted to get back together.  I thought it was premature on her part.  If they had been spending a bunch of time together, I could see it.

I thought they were implying that she's been on several additional dates now and every guy has his flaws, and even with Sheldon's really loves him and misses him, and having been elsewhere, what she really wants is what she had.

Mayim Bialick really makes the other actors on this show look bad. She's so much more natural and honest in her performance, whether she's being hilarious or heartbreaking. It gets me every time. She's on a sitcom, but she's not doing "sitcom". I just want to hug her.

• Love 5

Sorry, show, I'm not buying what you're selling. Shamy was not a normal couple of lovebirds who broke up. It was an arrogant, mean, dismissive, selfish manchild dating a girl with low self-esteem who over the course of a few years had outgrown his bullshit. Sheldon barely tolerated her and kept track of the minutes of their "dates" so as not to have to spend an extra moment with her. She wants to have sex and he's asexual. She's an adult and he's not. This couple has IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES written all over it.

Whenever a show has a long scene with someone driving a car, and there's no really specific reason they need to be in a car, I am on edge the entire time waiting for the accident.

I'm the same way. I honestly was expecting a semi truck to T-bone Amy's car and a Very Special episode next week where everyone gathers at Amy's hospital bedside.

• Love 11

Sorry, show, I'm not buying what you're selling. Shamy was not a normal couple of lovebirds who broke up. It was an arrogant, mean, dismissive, selfish manchild dating a girl with low self-esteem who over the course of a few years had outgrown his bullshit. Sheldon barely tolerated her and kept track of the minutes of their "dates" so as not to have to spend an extra moment with her. She wants to have sex and he's asexual. She's an adult and he's not. This couple has IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES written all over it.

Preach it, sister! The thought of Sheldon having "coitus" continues to gross me out. For some people, sex is not important/doesn't play a big part in their lives. Sheldon might have come to like the emotional attachment and even the kissing, but it's obvious that in five years of dating, it progressed no further than that.

I groaned when Amy said she wanted to get back together. And while I generally dislike Sheldon, I give him props for reacting the way he did.

I was confused by the Penny and Leonard plot. Were they making Thanksgiving dinner for the gang while everyone else did their own thing first?

I wish Lucy had been developed as a girlfriend for Raj. Emily is awful and has zero chemistry with the rest of the gang. All the others have their quirks; Emily's death fetish doesn't qualify.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

I wish Lucy had been developed as a girlfriend for Raj. Emily is awful and has zero chemistry with the rest of the gang. All the others have their quirks; Emily's death fetish doesn't qualify.

I agree.  When they were at  the soup kitchen I had to keep reminding myself that she was supposed to be Raj's girlfriend.  She just seemed like she was one of the extras taht was given a few lines to say.  

• Love 4

Emily definitely sticks out like a sore thumb and has no chemistry with the gang. But I'll take her any day over having to watch Lucy's shaky bug-eyed weirdness. They really should have gone with Yvette the vet.

• Love 14

Emily definitely sticks out like a sore thumb and has no chemistry with the gang. But I'll take her any day over having to watch Lucy's shaky bug-eyed weirdness. They really should have gone with Yvette the vet.

Personally, I keep forgetting Raj even has a girlfriend.  Penny was always there, obviously, and Bernadette and Amy became integral parts of the show almost as soon as they were introduced.  It just seems weird that Raj's girlfriend is stuck in this weird limboland.  I think I liked him better when he had to drink to talk to girls--he was, at least, a fun drunk.

• Love 2

Just to note this was the first 21 minute episode  of the season.  And I suspect the first 21 minute episode of the past two seasons. They've trended 19 mins for a while. 

Penny's comeback to Leonard  on how he knows everything about her should have been. " What's my maiden name ?" 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 10

I feel cheated not seeing them eat Thanksgiving dinner since they were cooking and eating together is a big part of this show.

I wonder if something happened while Amy was having dinner with her mother because she was on her way home when she felt like she had to call Sheldon. How interesting would that scene be. Speaking of mothers, I hope we get to see Laurie Metcalf this season.

I was very surprised one of Sheldon's questions was if she had slept with anyone. Not only does this tell me he understands it was a pretty important issue in their relationship, but also that he didn't try to make some kind of joke.  Normally I would expect Amy to volunteer that information and Sheldon saying something dumb like why would you sleep on a date. 

• Love 1

When Sheldon first met Amy, she told him: "Now before this goes any further, you should know that all forms of physical contact, up to and including coitus, are off the table." So that robotic, non-emotional persona was the original basis of the friendship between Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler. The writers erred, IMHO, by making Amy suddenly leap from this Spock-like strictly logical person to a woman who suddenly yearns for physical intimacy. 20/20 hindsight indicates some serious flaws in the development of Amy's character. The writers could have taken more time to have her see the "satisfaction" that Penny and Bernadette got from physical intimacy, which made her progressively more curious. And then, when she met Zach at the bar and had that "Hoo!" reaction, everything suddenly came together for her, emotionally, physically, hormonally, whatever. The writers missed an opportunity to actually script Amy's epiphany onscreen; it could have been simply a moment of "my goodness, why didn't anyone tell me about this!" -type feeling/realization, which would explain her future "lustful" feelings vis a vis Sheldon.

Edited by Ouisch
  • Love 2

When Sheldon first met Amy, she told him: "Now before this goes any further, you should know that all forms of physical contact, up to and including coitus, are off the table." So that robotic, non-emotional persona was the original basis of the friendship between Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler. The writers erred, IMHO, by making Amy suddenly leap from this Spock-like strictly logical person to a woman who suddenly yearns for physical intimacy. 20/20 hindsight indicates some serious flaws in the development of Amy's character. The writers could have taken more time to have her see the "satisfaction" that Penny and Bernadette got from physical intimacy, which made her progressively more curious. And then, when she met Zach at the bar and had that "Hoo!" reaction, everything suddenly came together for her, emotionally, physically, hormonally, whatever. The writers missed an opportunity to actually script Amy's epiphany onscreen; it could have been simply a moment of "my goodness, why didn't anyone tell me about this!" -type feeling/realization, which would explain her future "lustful" feelings vis a vis Sheldon.

Do you remember Amy and Sheldon's 1st date chaperoned by Penny ? The one where she says she used lab equipment to get an orgasm about 400 times ?  She always wanted intimacy, she just never knew how to get it. 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 8