Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Chapter Twenty-Eight

Jane faces an unsympathetic professor as she begins graduate school. Meanwhile, Jane fears Mateo will become spoiled after she works on his estate planning with Rafael; Rogelio attempts to create his own show; and Petra seeks guidance from Jane.

I thought this was a great episode but was disappointed by the ending.

I thought we were done with the love triangle, with Jane going back and forth.....and we end the episode on Jane and Raf? Seriously? Can't we just have a break! I don't want Jane with Michael or Raf at this point, just let her be. This episode was great when Jane was just Jane.

Petra's story was nice and I didn't see that coming(even though the stupid trailer spoiled). And Petra was showing a pretty big bump at two months...I mean even she was eating a lot, wouldn't she show elsewhere first? I don't know...Not so much her crazy family but just Petra herself. The actress makes her so sympathetic and fun. And I love the Jane/Petra friendship.  It's really sweet.

Mateo is effing adorable. Cutest tv baby ever? Flash forward Mateo was adorable too.

I didn't really like the they wrote the Jane/Michael relationship out. I wouldn't like if they wrote the Jane/Raf out of the show so I don't like this...Gina and Brett have a great chemistry, even they aren't romantic. They play of each other well, so for the show to say "all or nothing" it's kind if disappointing. I mean, I know I said they tabled it, but we're still getting the "sad romantic music"....Is it really impossible to just let them be friends? I know the show runner is an out and proud Team Raf but she doesn't need to continue the burnt Michael to the ground.

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 2

I don't feel like Michael and Jane's relationship was written out so much as the reality of the situation. He has no reason to be around if he's not with Jane while Rafael being Mateo's father does. He seems to be doing his own thing right now which can only be a good thing for him. I always felt like he had no life outside of his relationship with Jane.

I never thought that I would like Jane and Petra to be friends or for her to be a part of the family. Well done show. I am a Rane? shipper so while I am happy that she has come around, I can't help feeling that Michael is going to pop up again and restart the dreaded triangle.

The teacher is Adam Rodriguez from CSI Miami, Roswell, Empire, Magic Mike, etc.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

This was a really good one and with the time jumps, it felt like a needed re-set after all the drama of the first few episodes.

#TeamPetrane forever - those two are absolutely adorable together. I could watch endless episodes of them talking about their babies and their mommies.

The grenade plot was pretty dumb, but Petra's mom ending up as Captainess Hook made it worth it.

Rogelio's Mad Men plot was very funny and very Rogelio. A total #Fasterpiece

It was nice to see Rafael once again be written as the character we met in the first half of last season. I like it when both of Jane's men are their adorable selves rather than jealous asshats. Obviously the triangle will never die, but can we please kill the Rafael vs. Michael side of it???

Speaking of Michael, it's too bad he was basically MIA this week - Dier would've killed scenes of broken-hearted Michael.

• Love 4

I guess I missed the part where the tech hands over the ultrasound to the doctor who then asks if the parents want to know if they are having a boy or girl(s).  (shouldn't the hashtag double Os be pink?)

I felt sorry for Rafael when he was asking Jane if was okay that the other mom asked him out.  You could see he was disappointed that she said it was fine.

Did I miss a mother/daughter hair flip with Petra and Magda because my TV cuts off the edges?

I guess my first thought when seeing cute college prof of a possible quadrangle is not going to happen.

Is Jane not asking for help or turning down help from Alba and Xio?  It seems as if she had a good support system that she is not using.

• Love 1

Wow, so much time passed in the course of one episode!

I missed Michael. It makes me really sad they cant be friends anymore. Hopefully they will find themselves in a better place soon. 

Rafael with the baby is pretty damn adorable. I mean, I`m Team Michael through and through, but I thought this was a great showing for him. 

I love Petra and Jane being kinda sorta friends. Poor Petra. She might be the one person in the world who has a more bizarre life than Jane. Granted, quite a bit of it is her own doing, but still. 

• Love 4

I guess I missed the part where the tech hands over the ultrasound to the doctor who then asks if the parents want to know if they are having a boy or girl(s).  (shouldn't the hashtag double Os be pink?)

I also thought the tech blurting that out was odd...

Re: the blue double Os:  I assumed they were a reference to one of the biological fallouts from Rafael's lack of sex, e.g., "blue balls"?  I've been impressed the way that the show has managed to slip in sexual references in semi-subtle ways.  (The narrator's comment about Petra "having spunk" while she's holding the container with Rafael's sperm sample also comes to mind.)

How did Petra suddenly become my favorite? She was great this episode and I LOL'd at all things her mom, with now a hook. 

Last week choosing Michael and this week dating Rafael even though they showed time passing doesn't change the fact that last week was Michael and this week Rafael. I'm so tired of Jane and this back and forth. 

Petra and Michael should get together! 

The twins reveal with the Michael having 3 children and no sex comment was hilarious.

• Love 1

I don't think they really know what to do with the show. With Matteo now weened hopefully we won't get any more episodes in how Jane feels like she's failing as a mother.

I'm just tired of seeing Jane cry.  Every. Single. Episode.  Enough already.   I like this show best when it is mostly a light, fluffy comedy.

• Love 4

Man, I was hoping for, like, two episodes without any romance whatsoever. So, I guess I'm partially disappointed that they promised us single Jane, only to have her choose Rafael by the end of the episode. Sure, four months passed by, but we only saw a quick glimpse into it. Missing Michael didn't help matters because, once again, Rafael/Jane were the focus. I know that it had a lot to do with Jane and her grad school and figuring out her Mateo situation, but I saw the anvils with the couple. I don't know, I guess I feel like we're in season 1 again, with Michael disappearing with only a brief mention from time to time, while Jane/Rafael get the majority of the focus. 

I think I would have liked it if we didn't see Michael until the end, and had him kidnapped by Nadine instead. But mostly because Michael going off grid isn't....particularly interesting to me.

Petra's storyline was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I actually like the idea that she's having twin girls, and am very much intrigued by this happening. Plus, love that we did fast forward through half of her pregnancy. I do like her and Jane's friendship too; I actually never thought I would, but they have a cute friendship. 

Rogelio's storyline was short but sweet. I enjoyed every minute of it. There was also less Xo/Alba, but I guess I'm ok with it. 

I was just wondering why Jane wasn't enlisting more help from her own family, but this show also excluded Rafael a few episodes ago when Jane was looking for help with Mateo when she was deciding to go back to grad school, so it seems like they can't handle both support systems. 

• Love 1

I guess I missed the part where the tech hands over the ultrasound to the doctor who then asks if the parents want to know if they are having a boy or girl(s).  (shouldn't the hashtag double Os be pink?)

We cut in to the ultrasound mid-scene. It's entirely possible the tech asked them if they wanted to know the sex before we joined in. I don't know the logistics of handing off to the doctor for the sex determination IRL, but in-universe the reason they did that when Jane was pregnant was because there was a problem-- Mateo was breech.

And Turtle was right-- that was definitely #blueballs. They accompanied the narrator mentioning that Rafe had fathered three children without getting to have sex with the mothers to make that happen.

I think Jane is the type that, if she's in the same place as her baby, will insist on watching over him even if she has other stuff to do and there are people around to assist her. It's either her or Rafael since they're the parents, with Xo and the grandmother only when absolutely necessary. Plus, she thinks she's already missing so much by going to school so it makes sense that she wants to keep him with her as much as possible.

My cousin has a baby girl and is like this, and this isn't even her first kid - her family could be around, but it's her and/or her husband that always stays with the baby, especially since she's not a year old yet.

Edited by Luciano

Ooh, so Michael called Nadine. Wonder what dirt he has on the new detective.

Loving Petra and Jane. I remember something about Jane and Rafael saying how having Petra at family holidays would be horrible but this first one turned out well. I'm sure something will happen (gotta keep Petra shady) but for now I'm excited, thinking about Jane helping her out when the twins come. Also, boo @ Magda telling Petra to get out of therapy.

The writing class guy was kind of a jerk but I was happy she made a new friend... sucks that he's using her for a story.

Jane's super anxious, "I'm floundering" thing is wearing thin for me. I know that's her personality but I need it dialed back, at least for a bit. Hopefully, with the time jumps and her conversation with Petra, she'll be a little less neurotic.

I do prefer Jane/Michael (at the moment, anyway) but with them on the iciest of ice... I'm open to exploring Michael/Petra.

Am I the only one who cracked up at Magda getting blown up but being mostly fine? Then murdering a dude! Way to make the most of your airtime lady.

I thought Jane/Rafael was going to start drama with Petra but I guess she had left by then.

I wonder if Rogelio will pursue comedy now that he got complimented for it.

Petra's story was nice and I didn't see that coming(even though the stupid trailer spoiled). And Petra was showing a pretty big bump at two months...I mean even she was eating a lot, wouldn't she show elsewhere first?

I thought Petra showing that much at two months was hard to believe. She was almost as big as a character on The Affair who was four months pregnant and we were even discussing how that seemed like a bit of a stretch.  

But as for her gaining weight elsewhere.  There are women who only grow bigger in the stomach.  They are the kind who look not-pregnant from the back and who surprise (the general) you when they turn around and have a baby bump.  It's hard to know for sure but Petra looks like the kind of woman who'd have that kind of pregnancy.

Last week choosing Michael and this week dating Rafael even though they showed time passing doesn't change the fact that last week was Michael and this week Rafael. I'm so tired of Jane and this back and forth.

I'm Team Rafael through and through but I agree with this.  If the goal was to bring Rafael and Jane back together, I'm all for that but what was the point of having Jane torn and then choose Michael?  Maybe she will take a step back again next week once Michael comes back into her life but couldn't this have been spread out over at least two episodes.

The twins reveal with the Michael having 3 children and no sex comment was hilarious.

The expression on Rafael's face when he learned it was twins was hilarious but I do have to wonder if the show really means for him to have three babies?   Or does Magda's secret have something to do with Petra's pregnancy? 

And if the twins are Rafael's, Jane shouldn't worry.  Mateo will only inherit 13 million. 

I remember something about Jane and Rafael saying how having Petra at family holidays would be horrible but this first one turned out well. I'm sure something will happen (gotta keep Petra shady) but for now I'm excited, thinking about Jane helping her out when the twins come.

I think Jane had a fantasy/nightmare about Petra and her demon child at Thanksgiving.  It was hilarious. I can't remember it, though. 

The writing class guy was kind of a jerk but I was happy she made a new friend... sucks that he's using her for a story.

That's what Rogelio should be doing for his next telenovela.  Instead of the Passion de los Santos, it could be La Maldicion de los Solano.

Random Thoughts:

Rafael should always be wearing a tux because it's a very good look for Baldoni.  I'm also happy that they're showing him to be a good father and that it looks like Jane trusts him more with their child.  If Jane feeling like a failure as a mother is starting to wear thing, so too was the idea that Rafael would be incompetent.

I hope the four months away for Michael led to some movement in the mystery plot. 

Jane was absolutely wrong to answer the phone from Mateo's pediatrician while in class.  It'd be one thing if it were an emergency phone call from Rafael or whoever had Mateo but Mateo wasn't at the doctor's office so the odds that it was an emergency are nill.   I did love that her professor locked her out, although it seemed like a bit of a stretch that she was locked out of orientation.  But I do know professors who lock their doors at the designated start time of class and if you don't get there in time, you aren't attending class.

A Mad Men (or Hombres Locos) that kills of Beatriz in the beginning is no show I'd watch. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Rogelio is rich, too, right? So even if Jane wasn't raised with money, I'm sure if she needed help she and Mateo would have a ready source even without Rafael. Also, I thought Rafael was constantly on the verge of losing the hotel and going bankrupt, etc. I don't care too much, but it's weird that Jane's making an issue of Rafael's money while her own dad is at least as wealthy.

I've given up hoping they'll drop the triangle. I'm trying to gloss over it at this point. Maybe if fans don't talk about it, the writers will lose interest, too.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

Rogelio is rich, too, right? So even if Jane wasn't raised with money, I'm sure if she needed help she and Mateo would have a ready source even without Rafael. Also, I thought Rafael was constantly on the verge of losing the hotel and going bankrupt, etc. I don't care too much, but it's weird that Jane's making an issue of Rafael's money while her own dad is at least as wealthy.

From what I recall from last season, the hotel was only one asset in his father's much larger portfolio.  It was important to Rafael because it was newish, he saw it as his thing and if he made it a success, he could potentially impress his father.  Maybe his dad would see him as something other than  a perpetual screw up. 

He wanted to keep the hotel afloat but it wasn't as if he lost the hotel, he'd go bankrupt or lose his fortune.  Or at least it wasn't last season.  When his father died, he and Luisa inherited the whole thing including the hotel. 

While Rogelio definitely has money and can help out...even spoil, he probably does not have  the net worth that Rafael does.  But even if he did, I think the worry for Jane isn't some spoiling from a grandfather because at least she's a buffer there.  It's harder to act as a buffer with Rafael's father because if he wants to buy his kid ten cars, he can.  She can't say "no" the way she can with Rogelio.  Talking about the money he'd get in the future just crystalized how different Mateo's life will be compared to hers. 

• Love 1

I love Petra. And Magda. Now with a hook and an eyepatch.

I do enjoy how this show makes the characters face the challenge of having a baby rather than just handwaving it all away.

Rafael doing the song and dance in the mommy and me class was adorable.

Mateo remains adorable. And I loved Baller Mateo and Oliver Twist Mateo.

• Love 3

The narrator is priceless. Some of his inflections are hilarious. The lift in his voice and excitement about the retreat was adorable.

As soon as I saw the hook I knew someone was doomed. It was just a matter of who it would be.

This is one of two favorites right now as so many other shows are super heroes and/or drowning in blood and torture. This show is a refreshing bit of escape.

• Love 2

"Three babies and no sex #RafaeltheVirgin"

I laughed So hard! So very clever.

I loved this episode. The fast pacing (1 month later, 1 month later, 1 month later) made it a bit hard to follow at times, but I quickly got over that.

Jane's struggles to balance motherhood and her studies is so very real to me. Many women struggle with this (studies/work/whatever else) and Jane showed that struggle beautifully. Her professor was harsh with her, but if she is going to commit to her graduate program, that's the kind of tough love she needs. I felt terrible for her when she missed the helmet thing and was trying to get a good connection on her phone.

I really enjoyed Jane's relationship with Rafael. I liked how it went from "just baby-daddy" to "friends" to "i love you and wanna be with you only" on Rafael's side. I enjoyed the way Baldoni played it all out. When Rafael told Jane that he only wants her, even in her bad moments.... My Team!Rafael! heart melted. The whole thing about the money was also pretty cool. I liked how Rafael mentioned he was not a bad person because of the money but because of his parents. That really opened Jane's eyes. Of course 5-6-7 year old Mateo speaking at the UN was hilarious!

The mommy group with the song and gestures made me laugh so hard. Parents can do such ridiculous things for their kids, and we are all proud of it! LOL

Of course the hook on Magda resulted in... what it resulted in. "Oooops" she said. LOL Magda's accent is gold and while she is evil she cracks me up on many occasions. 

I don't know how I feel about Michael and Nadine working together. I have to admit that the whole Sin Rostro plot has taken a huge backseat in my level of interest in the show. Subject to change, of course. ;)

Rogelio and his soap opera dramaramalama make me laugh all of the freaking time. That little chair for "Matelio" was adorable!

The most adorable and most wonderful of all was that budding friendship between Petra and Jane. The two actresses have great on screen chemistry, and their mutual fondness of one another feels very real. I wonder if this will open the door to Rafael not being romantically involve with neither Jane nor Petra but all three of them and the kids living like a big huge messed up happy family. That'd be interesting.

• Love 5

I guess I feel like we're in season 1 again, with Michael disappearing with only a brief mention from time to time, while Jane/Rafael get the majority of the focus.

I understand where you are coming from, but in a way, it's a natural progression that Michael wouldn't be in the portrait as much. Other than his relationship with Jane, he has no ties to this family/story. Rafael is the baby's father, so it's normal to see more of him.

I thought Petra showing that much at two months was hard to believe. She was almost as big as a character on The Affair who was four months pregnant and we were even discussing how that seemed like a bit of a stretch.  

I think Jane had a fantasy/nightmare about Petra and her demon child at Thanksgiving.  It was hilarious. I can't remember it, though. 

Random Thoughts:

Rafael should always be wearing a tux because it's a very good look for Baldoni.  I'm also happy that they're showing him to be a good father and that it looks like Jane trusts him more with their child.  If Jane feeling like a failure as a mother is starting to wear thing, so too was the idea that Rafael would be incompetent.

Petra is pregnant with twins - showing that much in the first two months was a bit weird, but her big bump at four months seems on part, at least to me.

Yes, Jane had this vision of Petra bringing her bratty kid to thanksgiving/christmas dinner and hitting/biting Mateo. It was very funny!

I really enjoyed seeing Rafael be a good father, competent. It was refreshing. Like you, I felt the "Rafisincompetent" plot dragging.

I hadn't realized how much I missed Magda until she returned. I laughed out loud when she said the redhead with a Russian accent in the kitchen was trying to poison her - nice shout-out to OITNB.

• Love 4

Well I think at some point last season (maybe during the hostage situation?) Petra became my favorite character, and part of it was the great if sporadic hint of an understanding/friendship with Jane. Like when Petra was crying on the stairs, and just because she has such a heart Jane couldn't help but try to comfort her. Or when Jane tried to get Petra to stop wanting partial custody of the baby, and their conversation about Petra's past made Petra open up. 

Her main flaw, at least for me, is her thing for Raf. But then, I don't like him and want him gone, so.

Anyway, I loved that we got some prime Jane/Petra moments.

• Love 1

My gut tells me that Jane's professor is going to play more of a role in the future, perhaps as a new romance for someone. Adam Rodriguez doesn't have the name recognition of, say, Britney Spears or Rita Moreno, but he seems well-known enough that he wouldn't be in a single episode and not do much. They could have found anyone to play that part if it's just meant to be a one-off. 

And I echo the love for the Jane/Petra scenes. I'm so happy that they're going in that direction instead of them hating each other. I know it could change, but it's so nice that this show doesn't go for the obvious.

• Love 1

Of course 5-6-7 year old Mateo speaking at the UN was hilarious!

It was! I was a Peace Corps Volunteer whose main job was girls' education (specifically math and health issues), so it almost felt like a personal shout-out. :-D

Edited by Anisky
  • Love 1

I don't think it's odd that Petra's pregnancy is showing so much, especially if she's having twins. She's so slim, those babies have no place to go but out, even while they are tiny. I have a friend who had only one baby who already looked pregnant at two months along; she's very petite and some people just expand more, I guess.

I really want to see Hombres Locos, Rogelio, please make that happen! I've missed seeing bits of The Passions of Santos. Plus, there are so many guapo telenovela actors who surely have a little free time between their main projects to make hilarious cameo appearances in a show within the show here.

I love this show and even (unabashedly) love the love triangle, so long as we get other good stuff to balance it out -- not enough Alba and Xo this week would be my only complaint. I adore how much they adore Mateo. Alba saying, "Does that look like a baby who's scarred for life?" seemed so real-grandma to me. And I think this every week but always forget to say it -- DAMN, the actress they have for the young Xo looks so much like Andrea Navedo!! It's uncanny.

When this show is best -- it balances the absurdly funny (Rogelio and his TV pursuits) with the poignant and true (a parent's love, a person's self doubt)...And I think that all of that comes together in the character of Petra. She's such a nutty nut and is shady and shifty and all sorts of obsessed with Raf, but she's also this very real woman terrified at getting what she's longed for -- being a mother (as a mom of twins, I have to say hoo-boy! I hope they keep it real in terms of how ridiculously hard twins are at first -- and if you are one of those twin parents who says things like, "Oh, it wasn't that bad for us," don't tell me. I don't like you:). I can't wait to see Petra (and Raf and even Jane) when Petra's girls are born.

Am I the only one who thinks that Michael's new partner is Sin Rostro?

• Love 4

I understand where you are coming from, but in a way, it's a natural progression that Michael wouldn't be in the portrait as much. Other than his relationship with Jane, he has no ties to this family/story. Rafael is the baby's father, so it's normal to see more of him.

He's actually gotten close with Rogelio and while I can see Michael backing off from that relationship, I don't see Rogelio letting go of the bromance. As for the story...he's kind of involved in the Sin Rostrio plot, which is a major part of the series. 

I binged season 1 over a few days but I'm really not loving season 2, "Jane the Mommy." I don't relate and all her crying about everything Matteo-related just makes me roll my eyes. It might be true to life, but I don't find it compelling.

The whole Rafael/Jane relationship is also meh. I feel like she threw away her engagement to Michael to "make it work" with some guy she never had a relationship with.

I might be out at this point.

• Love 6

On a minor note, the actress who plays the teenaged Xo is a really good bit of casting; she was in two episodes last season, I see, but she's been featured more and, it feels like, more prominently this year.  Also a super-brief appearance by l'il Jane, who's still adorable.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 4

Meh, I don't really like how they handled the end of Jane and Michael's relationship... agaaain. I thought they would be given a chance this time around, but nope! All rushed just to get to Jane and Rafael... agaaaaain.

Highlights of the episode

Mateo is beyond cute.

Petra is still quite engaging and still can never catch a break. More of her friendship with Jane, please.

Still don't care about the Sin Rostro plot.

• Love 1

I binged season 1 over a few days but I'm really not loving season 2, "Jane the Mommy." I don't relate and all her crying about everything Matteo-related just makes me roll my eyes. It might be true to life, but I don't find it compelling.

The whole Rafael/Jane relationship is also meh. I feel like she threw away her engagement to Michael to "make it work" with some guy she never had a relationship with.

I might be out at this point.

Yes, I found this episode seriously boring and easily the worst of the series. If this had been the pilot I would've never stuck around. I cheered every time Petra or Rogelio showed up because their - unfortunately small - bits were a welcome break from the tedium of the rest.

But...I do think that the way the show FF'd through Mateo's early months, and just started new plots for Petra, Michael and Rogelio, may be a sign that they're planning to move on from baby-related plots now and relegate Mateo to the background where he belongs. So although like you I'm weary of Jane The Mommy (at least it was just a subplot in the last few episodes, but it took over basically this entire episode, crowding out almost all the other characters), I'm sticking around for now. Hopefully this was the nadir and we're moving up from here.

Meh, I don't really like how they handled the end of Jane and Michael's relationship... agaaain. I thought they would be given a chance this time around, but nope! All rushed just to get to Jane and Rafael... agaaaaain.

Highlights of the episode

Mateo is beyond cute.

Petra is still quite engaging and still can never catch a break. More of her friendship with Jane, please.

Still don't care about the Sin Rostro plot.

Yeah, what was the point of the choosing Michael plot? Why can't Jane just be single? Bouncing her from guy to guy seriously makes her super unlikable. 

Yeah, what was the point of the choosing Michael plot? Why can't Jane just be single? Bouncing her from guy to guy seriously makes her super unlikable. 

It's like they're repeating the same pattern from last season: the first bit Michael-Jane centric then sudden shift to Rafael-Jane. But of course Jane-Rafael are gonna break up again eventually and round and round we go. And throw in a hot teacher for good measure, something is totally gonna happen with him. Otherwise they wouldn't have given her a hot male teacher.

• Love 3

I guess I missed the part where the tech hands over the ultrasound to the doctor who then asks if the parents want to know if they are having a boy or girl(s). (shouldn't the hashtag double Os be pink?)

That was pretty similar to my experience, each time -- the ultrasound was its own appointment. We saw only the tech, and followed up with the OB at the next appointment, a couple weeks later. (Though we were told we'd get a call if anything was wrong.) The tech asked at the start if we wanted to know the sex, but she was able to tell us that day.

So glad Rafael told Jane to quit pumping. It's a ton of work, and it doesn't work out for everyone. It was nice to see a balanced message regarding breastmilk.

Edited by Pixie Chicken
  • Love 4

This episode raised a question for me when they mentioned Jane's $2,600 savings:

What are the Villanueva women living on? Do Alba and Xo have jobs that we never see them doing? Because they're always in the house or accidentally taking (paid) cruises to Cuba. So if they have steady work, when do they do it?

Last year, Jane was working and Xo was performing semi regularly. But now Jane is in school (how will she afford that, if her money is running out?). Xo doesn't seem to be doing anything. Alba seems to be retired (how does she afford her immigration lawyer? How can they afford a lawyer now, if they couldn't before?). If Alba is illegal, does she even have a pension? Who owns their house? Next week, they're going on a shopping spree in Target. With no money?

Plus, they have made it very clear that none of the women would dream of taking a dime from Rafael or Rogelio for their everyday expenses.

It's like they're poor only for story purposes. In their everyday life, they have way too many luxuries for three women with no steady income. Jane grew up poor, is told that her kid will never have to worry for money, and she sees that as a complete negative, with absolutely no upsides? Come on.

I wouldn't care, this is a sitcom after all, but the writers keep making such a huge deal of the Villanueva's finances - but writing it as if being poor is a fun lifestyle choice that makes you a better person, leaves you plenty of time to have fun and causes you no major inconveniences. Instead of a grinding daily problem that basically stops you from doing and having almost everything.

So, basically, how do they eat?

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 6

Yes, Alba has a job. I don't think the Villanuevas are poor, so much as they are working class. So, they have simple things, but they are not scraping by. They haven't said so, but I would imagine that Alba's late husband paid off the house before he died. I do wonder, though, how Jane can afford grad school (did they mention a scholarship?). I agree - things should be tighter with Jane not working, but Rafael must being paying some of the expenses for Mateo.

• Love 1

So for those of you who are keeping count, that's three babies for Rafael and no sex.#RafaeltheVirgin

Bwahahaha. I laughed so hard at that. Just the timing and the delivery of it. I had to pause while I laughed for a full two minutes.

The time jump was a good move. It gave this episode a different feel but those four months were a good choice. I could have done without the reintroduction of the love triangle though. I was enjoying #teamsingle.

• Love 1

WHoever is writing the mommy stuff is an idiot. Jane would have never stopped trying to get him back on the breast. I mean yes the baby preferred the bottle more but at that point if you are going to pump for months on end, just teach the baby that he has to get it out of the breast. I didn't buy "the baby weaned from me" but to give him breast-milk Ill pump every 3 hours for the next 6 months? especially with Jane researching everything she would have figured away to get that baby back on the breast.  This happens if the baby is premature or hospitalized but he was right there with her, he would have taken it as he nursed in the past. Not buying this, so fucking stupid and the wrong message. Just weird and the helmet thing was weird too. Yes i know it happens all the time these days. 

• Love 1