Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Hi, I'm Philip

I thought most of this episode was pretty relaxed, and probably the funniest episode they've had in a while. Loved Frank being in the doghouse for once. That was an anticlimactic ending to the Oliver suspense, but I thought Oliver was hilarious and adorable.

I wasn't really surprised by the incest, but some sort of relationship between Catherine and Philip??? That is a bit too far-fetched for me to be able to believe it.

Looking forward to the next episode, though!

Also, does Catherine just paint pictures of random families? Because that IS creepy.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 4

I KNEW the cray-cray sister did it!!! I did not expect the creepy dude to be her partner in crime. That painting she gave to Wes was fucking creepy! Frank looked hot making sauce! I'm disappointed Anna slept with Nate because I really want her to be with Eve. Asher doing his "I found the wire" dance cracked me up!! I cannot wait to see what happens next week. I am SO happy that the prosecutor is going to die because I cannot take anymore of her. EEEW to the plot twist that the Hapstall parents were brother and sister. This show just keeps killing it week after week. 

ETA: I am over the moon that Oliver is o.k. He is just so adorable and I love what he and Conor have. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 17

Everyone gets an O, but the viewers

That bish really did it!!!

I bet she and Phillip were in a relationship and when the parents found out they tried to break it off and they both planned and killed them, plus the aunt.

I agree. Cheers to Wes for figuring it out, but no sex for him though.

Yay no Bonnie tonight, she can take several seats.

Love how the whole "Oliver in danger" storyline didn't last five minutes.

Oh Nate, taking lessons from Analise now.

Wait, so the Hapstall "parents" were actually brother band sister? Like Flowers in the Attic?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

Ok - I didn't see the Philip/Catherine connection coming.

This was clearly the set-up episode for the big finale. I am thinking more and more that Bonnie is the one who shot Annalise.

Glad to see they didn't have Wes getting entangled with Catherine - especially since it looks like she's guilty. 

I continue to be amazed at how all these people are thirsty for Annalise's approval or to get back into her good graces. Even Nate and Asher are riding that train now. Fascinating.

Love how the whole "Oliver in danger" storyline didn't last five minutes.

I think Hakeem's kidnapping on Empire lasted longer!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 9

Catherine and Phillip conspiring was a twist, but I am mostly relieved that Ollie is alive and unhurt so he can have hot sex with Connor. Connor has got to stop blaming Annalise for consequences of his own actions. 

Either Catherine and/or Phillip must kill the DA and shoot Annalise. Nate's body is still kick ass as ever. Beautiful man. I wasn't surprised that he went back to Annalise.

Caleb and Michaela work. I like them together. I still cannot stand Laurel with Frank. She can do so much better.

Asher is hilarious. I loved his dancing and sticking it to Frank and Connor when it turned out that he was right. He needs to forget about Bonnie though.

• Love 5

Someone please explain to me what/how Wes figured things out by looking at the painting? What was in that painting?

And Philip is the child of the racist aunt and her brother right?

So Catherine shot them for Philip? Because they are sleeping together, right?

Oh, and Anna must love Eve and Nate, I think her feelings are real for both.

Really don't like the catherine/caleb case. Both of them irked me this episode. I wanted them both to go to jail. But this s/l is the only one I've predicted since this show started. Catherine did it. Caleb trying to save her. Michaela trying to save him. Not sure if that's the end of it with caleb though, not sure if it's just the acting, but michaela seems way more into him than he is her. Surprised she would jump in head first after want happened with Levi. 

I like Anna with Eve or Nate so I'm cool.

Like the rest of the world, I am glad Oliver is okay.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 2

No real thoughts right now except, I can't wait for next week to see the DA get what's coming to her, and whoever shot Annalise needs to go down hard.

Is it wrong to hope that when all is said and done with the series AnnaliseOliver and Frank are the ones left standing.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4
Someone please explain to me what/how Wes figured things out by looking at the painting? What was in that painting?

And Philip is the child of the racist aunt and her brother right?

So Catherine shot them for Philip? Because they are sleeping together, right?

Oh, and Anna must love Eve and Nate, I think her feelings are real for both.

1)  I'm going to assume Wes gave Catherine a picture of himself when he was a child, and his parents, (I don't know WTF he would do this) and Catherine painted it for him.  Wes thereby understands that when Catherine "likes" someone or feels connected to them, she paints a picture of their family I guess.  He noticed one of those Creepy Paintings in the corner of a screenshot of Philip.  So he figured that Catherine and Philip DO know each other - Catherine lied about it to them - and they're probably closely connected.  That's pretty good detective skills.  

2)  All I know is Annalise said "Philip is the product of incest.  And we all know Helena only had one brother."  And then they did a close of up of the Father in the painting.  Is Helena the aunt?   But then she said "How would you feel if your parents were fucked up but then they threw you away like garbage.  I would have killed them too."  But imagine hearing this sped up to the speed of light.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Wes recognized one of Catherine's portraits in a picture of Philip in his apartment, since they were not supposed to know each other how would he have it if she didn't give it to him.

Yes, Philip is the product of the Hapstall dad and his sister, the racist aunt.

Edited by dgpolo
  • Love 8

Catherine gave Wes a painting. He thought it looked familiar. When he saw a screenshot of Philip, one of Catherine's painting was in the background. If Catherine didn't know Philip, why did he have one of her paintings?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Wes recognized one of Catherine's paintings in the photo of Philip's place.

I don't know if Catherine and Philip are sleeping together. They may be but I wonder if he found out who his parents were came to the house and met Catherine. He wanted revenge on his parents and she wanted the money. 

Or they could be in love...

Who knows? It doesn't matter to me -- I am hooked in this show!

• Love 4

Something I don't understand.  Caleb said he found the dusty gun "last week".  Is that what he said?   If he has feelings for Michaela, and NOT Catherine, then why would he sacrifice his life for Catherine?  I guess it's because he really does love her as a sister?   But - he suspects her of killing HIS PARENTS .....  !!   So why would he go to jail for 30 years for her...  Man...   Shit is cray

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I'm going to assume Wes gave Catherine a picture of himself when he was a child, and his parents, (I don't know WTF he would do this) and Catherine painted it for him.

Really? Did I miss that, that was suppose to be Wes and his parents in that picture?

We've never even heard any mention of a father where Wes is concerned, only his mother. 

I'm confused, and still don't get what he was trying to show Anna and Nate in that painting. 

Oh one last,  Nate is such a fine specimen of a man, my goodness. He's a work of art.

And I thought it was very genuine and sweet that he really wants to know her. He meant it, but good luck to him. Anna is so damaged.

Wes recognized one of Catherine's paintings in the photo of Philip's place.

That's right, thanks all that bumping and grinding in the last minutes, I totally forgot that clip.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

Ugh, I don't know why I thought everything was over when everyone was having sex.  They always have the major reveals in the last two seconds.  I made a major mistake reading secnarf's post during all the lovemaking.

I hate when they do major plot points/reveals by having a character narrate something using really, really fast talking in the span of 2 seconds.  Annalise revealed all that incest as fast as humanly possible.  Every episode they do this.  Then other scenes that are pointless seem to take hours.  If I have to rewind a scene 2-3 times and use Closed Captioning to understand a major plot reveal, why must it be done this way?  Who finds incest so commonplace and boring it has to be revealed so speedily?

Anyways, my traditional gift.  This show has been a lot better in the past 3 episodes.  The first half of the season I was practically sleepwatching.

nate2.jpg

nate.jpg

Between this show and American Horror Story, I'm tempted to just start hoeing. Everyone is having all the sex.

• Love 16

Between this show and American Horror Story, I'm tempted to just start hoeing. Everyone is having all the sex.

AHS is much more extreme in this regard, almost every other scene is a sex scene.

• Love 2

Something I don't understand.  Caleb said he found the dusty gun "last week".  Is that what he said?   If he has feelings for Michaela, and NOT Catherine, then why would he sacrifice his life for Catherine?  I guess it's because he really does love her as a sister?   But - he suspects her of killing HIS PARENTS .....  !!   So why would he go to jail for 30 years for her...  Man...   Shit is cray

I think there is more to the story. Caleb is shady....or just dumb as a box of rocks...probably both. But Caleb and Michaela haven't even spent much time together outside of working on this case (or any really) so while he may like her, I don't think his feelings for her are that strong. 

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 6

I am thinking more and more that Bonnie is the one who shot Annalise.

I may have seen this wrong, that happens a lot to me with this show, but at the beginning I thought there was a shot of Bonnie taking a gun from someones hand. Did that really happen? or was it from a different scene that I don't remember? Because if it was how I remember then Bonnie didn't shoot her and is protecting whoever did, which I would assume would be Asher?

I'm going to see if I can find that.

ETA: It looks like Wes gave her something, not sure if it was a gun. Not sure of anything much.

Edited by dgpolo

Asher's dance...Oh, my god!  That was ..I have no words.  But yay for Asher pulling the win for the team.

Nate's abs.  Oh, my god!  How is such ab perfection even possible.  I swer they oiled him up for maximum effect.

Michaela getting hers with Caleb.  Go on girl!  I love how she asked if he was possible gay.  Her ex- fiance really marked her for life.

Damn, Frank knows everybody doesn't he? 

So...some questions still remaining:

1)How did Catherine and Phillip hook up?

2) What is their relationship?

3) What really is Caleb and Catherine's relationship?  They seem super protective of each other.  Now finding out that their father had 'relations' with his own sister, was that consensual? molestation?  Did he touch Catherine?  Is that why Caleb is so willing to protect her?

4) Is Caleb really innocent in all of this or are they playing the K5?

I won't go into the obvious re: who shot Annalise, so I am gathering everything will revealed next week.

This season has been awfully good.  So much better than last season.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

Why did Catherine give Wes a painting? I really couldn't keep the plot straight this season.

They give really weird outfits to Michaela to wear.

The score at the end was pretty good, but all of that love-making at the end by multiple couples was just way too much and ridiculous so I looked away while the music was playing. I also think I wind up hating Laurel and Frank together more and more every time they have sex.  Is that score available under a particular name?

Edited by bantering

Why did Catherine give Wes a painting? I really couldn't keep the plot straight this season.

When Wes went over to the Hapstall mansion to talk with Catherine about taking or not taking re plea deal, he took notice of her paintings and started talking to her about them before she shot him down. I guess she sent him a painting as a gift of sorts?

The score at the end was pretty good, but all of that love-making at the end by multiple couples was just way too much and ridiculous so I looked away while the music was playing. I also think I wind up hating Laurel and Frank together more and more every time they have sex.  Is that score available under a particular name?

From Tunefind.com  http://www.tunefind.com/show/how-to-get-away-with-murder/season-2/26840.  I liked a lot of songs in this episode too.

"Indian Summer" by Jai Wolf

Scene Description:  Annalise invites Nate in; Michaela & Caleb have sex; Annalise & Nate have sex; Connor & Oliver have sex in Annalise's classroom; Laurel & Frank have sex.
Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Annalise revealed all that incest as fast as humanly possible.  Every episode they do this.  Then other scenes that are pointless seem to take hours.  If I have to rewind a scene 2-3 times and use Closed Captioning to understand a major plot reveal, why must it be done this way?

I hate that on this show!  I always have to go back and use Closed Captioning at least two or three times an episode.  And, since I'm in my cranky old lady mode, I really hate when shows reveal stuff in text, from phones or otherwise, I have to pause and put on my glasses to figure out what I'm supposed to figure out from the text.  Talk more slowly, shut down the background music, and say it, dont's spell it out in small text, before, of course, getting off of my lawn!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 24

I think there is more to the story. Caleb is shady....or just dumb as a box of rocks...probably both. But Caleb and Michaela haven't even spent much time together outside of working on this case (or any really) so while he may like her, I don't think his feelings for her are that strong. 

I agree.  Interesting that he didn't tell Michaela about the gun until after they had sex and maybe their "professional" relationship isn't over after all.  Plus who says the gun isn't his?  I wouldn't trust either Mansion Sibling any further than I could throw them.

Glad Oliver is okay.

Other than that not all that much interesting going on this ep except for the reveal on Philip's incestuous origins.  Mostly just seems to be getting the characters in place for the finale so actually a little boring really.  Even though the thing with Catherine and Philip looks bad, I still don't trust Caleb either and there could be another twist coming so I'm waiting to see if anything else is revealed.

• Love 4

I liked that Wes wishes he'd turned himself in. He's aware that the cover up is causing trouble for all of them. He's not smug about it. I like that about him. Actually, I think they tried to redeem a lot of people this week. I didn't buy all of it, though I did buy it when Wes told Annalise his regrets.

• Love 19

I hate that on this show!  I always have to go back and use Closed Captioning at least two or three times an episode.  And, since I'm in my cranky old lady mode, I really hate when shows reveal stuff in text, from phones or otherwise, I have to pause and put on my glasses to figure out what I'm supposed to figure out from the text.  Talk more slowly, shut down the background music, and say it, dont's spell it out in small text, before, of course, getting off of my lawn!!

I totally agree with this and I can't stand it either, however  I have resigned myself to use closed captioning on this show, it's just the way it is.  

TV shows have always gone for the young audience, that's not fair but that's the way it is.  They could have the text larger on those smart phones though.

• Love 3

I worried about Oliver more than I wondered if Glen is really dead.

Who do you think Analiese sent the selfie too? lol I'm thinking Eve, even though it said "Mama"

Who is Glen??

Good thought about the Mama text! But I was hoping Mama showed up for a visit.

So I'm still a little stumped on who shot Annalise. I feel like they've been laying enough seeds during the season to make you think it may be one of the Keating 5 and/or Bonnie and Frank so it would be too obvious to be any of them. Right now, total left field, I say it's the crazy DA and Bonnie or someone else killed her in retaliation. Because that woman is clearly obsessed and batshit crazy in her determination to beat Annalise anyway and anyhow. I guess crazy Philip could be a possibility during a confrontation at the house because it seems clear that's likely why Annalise was at the house. 

Speaking of the Hapstall case, I'm sure others have said it but I still don't fully buy it was all Philip and I find Caleb's "I found it last week" story about the gun a little too coincidental. I think Caleb and Catherine wanted their parents dead, they found out about crazy, product of incest son Philip and got him to do it, because he was easy to manipulate. Or Philip found out about his family and reached out to them but either way, I don't think he all on his own decided to kill the parents if he did indeed kill them. Also I know we saw Nate doctoring an old police record to make it seem like Philip was a paranoid schizophrenic but even if he may not be schizo, I can absolutely believe something isn't completely right with him. 

Finally, for the most left field suspect, much as I like Oliver just fine, in a show that has so many twists and turns, the whole, "he just wanted to talk so we went across the street and it was no big deal" thing kind of made me side-eye. If it was so calm why would Oliver leave the milk spilled and not bring his phone? I guess he might have thought he was being kidnapped until they got outside and he realized Philip really wouldn't hurt him but I don't know, I just got a weird vibe about that whole thing. Of course it could just be that this show is making me paranoid. 

Still, I will say unlike last season, I'm stumped. I totally figured out Wes killing Sam to protect Rebecca and the other three just being there and getting caught in the situation by association. But I'm really stumped right now about who and how Annalise got shot and everything else that seemed to go down that night. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Actually, Caleb's willingness to plead guilty made more sense to me when he revealed the gun to Michaela. It is not a case of whether he had feelings for Michaela or not, Catherine is his sister who he loves regardless. Of course, he is willing to go to prison to protect Catherine. 

• Love 1

Thanks to everyone who posted Nate pics. Man is a TALL drink of water. I have to admit I don't understand the about face he did in this episode. I get the DA has made his life hell, that's fair. But he wanted nothing to do with Annalise two episodes ago. Agenda? Just a little strange...

My guess as to who shot Annalise is 1. Phillip 2. Katherine 3. DA, and I'm just as interested as to how they all get over to the mansion. I am so ready for next week!

• Love 1

Was there a resolution to Asher's mystery lake story that I missed somehow?

Last episode it was revealed that Asher hosted a party and got drunk to the point of being out of it. Meanwhile, 4+ of his guests raped a woman named Tiffany. Learning about what happened after the fact, Asher called his daddy, who pulled strings and covered it up. 

• Love 1

tumblr_nxqksp0DZX1trlz9bo1_250.gif

tumblr_nxqksp0DZX1trlz9bo2_250.gif

tumblr_nxqksp0DZX1trlz9bo3_250.gif

tumblr_nxqksp0DZX1trlz9bo4_250.gif

2vt1q2o.jpg

I had the same face when watching that scene. :D Wow! Nate, you're nothing less than perfect! I'm sooo curious to know what Viola Davis thinks every time he strips in front of her, LOL!

I'm afraid Nate is playing a long con to make Annalise pay for what she did to him. I'd understand, but I'd still be sorry because I think they're both in love with each other.

After last episode I was sure we would've seen more about Wes being "him" -as per Annalise's confession to Eve- but nothing. I know, we've been speculating that Wes is Annalise's son since the pilot, but now I'd love to know for sure.

• Love 6

I give this show a lot of leeway when it comes to fantasy law, but there is no way that any judge would have allowed the DA to put a bug in a defense attorney's practice and potentially ruin privilege for every case Annalise has. A judge might have allowed a wire tap on Annalise's phone and definitely would have allowed one on the Hapstall's phone. But a general bug picking up everything? Bullshit.

Sinclair is the worst. I'll be quite glad when that silly bint gets got.

• Love 6

I just had a thought.

What if the whole "Give ME the gun", "No.  Give me the gun, I'll do it." isn't the K5/Bonnie/Frank taking the murder weapon to shoot Annalise?

What if that's them DISPOSING of the heating vent gun to get Caleb and Catherine off the hook??

Mikayla freaks out, calls them all.  They all come running to clean the mess up.  The smug DA finds out and shows up alone because no one will give her a search warrant twice in the same day after crying wolf earlier that day.  Smug DA shows up - now all the Keating Bunch are going down for obstruction, tampering with evidence, and accessory after the fact and the Hapstalls are going down for murder.  The K5 decide to all cut and run and leave Annalise holding that bag.  Bonnie kills smug DA.  Now Bonnie takes the heating vent Hapstall murder weapon to dispose of and someone (Philip?) shows up and starts shooting.

I'm sure I have some of the details wrong but I really think we've been misdirected on the gun being passed around as being the weapon that shot Annalise.

• Love 4

Wow. SO many wows.

Wow #1: Nate, please take off your shirt more. That man is hot! I cannot even imagine the work Billy Brown has to put in maintaining his physique. And I couldn't help laugh at those gifs above, when he takes off his shirt then says to Annalise "You nervous again". My mind needed to be sprayed with Holy Water at that comment.

Wow #2: Catherine is really the killer? Nicely played Catherine. Getting a really good plea deal - even if the whole thing failed, she's be out in like 5 or less years, or if the whole thing got dismissed - which happened in this case - all the better for her. She played Annalise and company, but I have a feeling Caleb is not innocent either. I think all three (Philip, Catherine and Caleb) are in on it. Caleb found the gun "a week" ago, but after that was willing to make a plea deal to "save" Catherine?? If he was really innocent, and thought she was guilty or possibly guilty, I don't buy him going to jail for the rest of his life. Him calling Michaela over is just part of the long game.

Wow #3: Annalise being partcularily nasty to Frank. Woman, he's your Fixer. He's done shit for you, you don't want him getting on your bad side. Bonnie is one thing, she wasn't involved in all of that illegal stuff, but Frank. You'd better treat him right, or he'll "Fix" you.

Nate changing that suspect form will be found out. So Frank just has a suitcase of about a million bucks or so sitting around his apartment? I hope he has good smoke detectors, and is living next to a firehouse, because it would suck if his place experienced a fire!

Asher figuring out the bugging, then the other clues - he's the best. His concern for Bonnie is wonderful too - he truly cares/loves her.

Not so wow - can I slap that smug DA please? Almost every scene, Sinclair has this absolute smug expression on her face I want to slap off. Bugging the Keating house - shouldn't she lose her license for that??

• Love 5