Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: A High Hope For A Low Heaven

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Lucious and Cookie put aside their differences for the sake of their family who need them to work together to stay out of danger; Jamal does his best to get back in the studio and break away from the "gay artist" label; and Hakeem struggles with how to feel and act like a man.

Wow, Hakeem was kidnapped for a second. I was surprised when he pulled the gun, but knew he wasn't shooting anyone. Cookie, on the other hand... I liked how Cookie and Lucious took out the poor guy who was paid to drive the van. Hakeem going to Anika was a surprise. I am glad though as it brings her back into the story.

Hakeem constantly telling off Lucious is such fun. The brothers together are so good. I loved how Lucious' face fell when Hakeem started to perform. He is such an ass.

I loved Cookie's outfit when she was visiting Lucious. She looked stylish and beautiful. I didn't like the purple jumpsuit, it was too 80s, but she and Las were pretty hot. So he was in on Hakeem's kidnapping with that tattoo. Cookie is going to kill when she finds out. 

I liked Jamal's song at the beginning. Lucious had a moment as a good father there, but of course, that did not last long.

William Fichtner! I hope he is recurring and has more air time coming up.

Andre has got some nerve judging other people's character when he is so sketchy. 

Good for Becky getting her some. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

How did Lucious know about Hakeem's gun? Did he engineer the whole thing?!

I'm glad Hakeem didn't get sucked back into Lucious web, I laughed hard when he dropped the drive.

What the hell is Andre doing? His wife needs to reign him in.

• Love 2

I loved seeing Becky and Porshia in this episode.

And I knew that guy with Cookie was up to no good, too smarmy.

Loved seeing the brothers together.

Now that "boom boom boom boom , bang bang bang bang" will be stuck in my head all day tomorrow.

• Love 9

Not a fan of how hakeem's kidnapping was handled...at all. He was magically healed by the singer, who didn't want him before, but will no doubt be in his bed soon. Lame. Also not a fan that she's basically taken tiana's screen time. It's like they have no need for tiana since they wanted this latina girl group and to hook hakeem up with the lead....bummer... because I actually liked Tiana and would rather watch her career and her be friends with hakeem w/e they are doing with the hakeem and the new singer.

Also disappointed in what they've done to boo boo kitty. she's so into hakeem and getting dissed by him? Hard to buy.

The women (besides Cookie) on this show need more POV. I get that they are not Lyons. But the show could do more with them. Hell, they were doing more with them (anika, tiana, and rhonda) in season one

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 12

“Everybody ain’t made for fidelity.”

Has any quote better defined Lucious?

Welcome, J. Poppa. I dig you. And so does Becky!

I am here for the Jamal/Becky adorableness.

OMG - Andre mentioned the company stock. I thought the show had totally forgotten Empire's a public company.

Hakeem's contempt for Lucious warms the cockles of my heart. Long may it continue.

• Love 8

To paraphrase Lucious "What the hell is William Fichtner doing on this show?"  Also was this show trying to set a record how many times they can say "bitch"?  I must have lost count after 15.

Cookie sure knows how to pick them, doesn't she?  Dammit woman I thought you were smarter than that!  And I thought the kidnapping would last more than 10 minutes of the show.  I guess it was a ruse so Cookie can feel she can trust Adam's character.

Things I did like: the small scene with all 3 brothers and Becky hitting it with J Poppa. But I'm not sure what this show is doing for Annika here.  Am I supposed to think of her as Boo Boo Kitty or feel sorry for her? 

• Love 4

I literally said "Oh shit!" when I saw Laz' back tattoo.  Did not see that coming.

Even though I expected different from Hakeem's kidnapping (like for it go longer than the opening credits), I appreciated that they focused more on his deteriorating mental state rather than the kidnapping itself.  Besides that great scene between the three brothers, it was sweet that Laura was the one who was able to bring him down to Earth, so to speak.  The little kiss Hakeem sneaked on her hand was a great moment.

• Love 4

Awwww I am a huge sucker for brother bonding. That scene was the best part of the whole episode. Love when they are all together, and on the same page. 

Cookie and Lucious are a pretty good team, when shit gets real. I really don't think they'll ever be totally done with each other. Even as they're mortal enemies. 

Hey there, J. Poppa. You can stay. Preferably shirtless and with Becky. 

• Love 10

Did I hear Andre utter the famously derogatory word "n*****" in a scene this episode, or was I drunk?  I ask because I was in fact tossing back a few drinks while watching.

Definitely missed that.

Awwww I am a huge sucker for brother bonding. That scene was the best part of the whole episode. Love when they are all together, and on the same page.

Only scene I really felt this ep. 

Edited by dirtypop90

Loved J Poppa and Becky together. They make a cute couple.

Another cute couple was Becky and Jamal. I loved his glee at her happiness.

Yazz has never been the strongest actor, but he really stepped up his game tonight. The scene where Cookie talked Hakeem into letting her have his gun was genuinely intense. Great work by Bryshere & Taraji.

Lucious can't stand to see his children happy. Andre hasn't been back in the fold more than five minutes and Lucious is already threatening to banish him again.

Anika is so totally gonna be pregnant with Hakeem's baby. It's gonna be extremely messy and Cookie's reaction will be hilarious.

Adam Rodriguez is gorgeous.

• Love 4
Lucious can't stand to see his children happy.

So true! When Hakeem eventually succeeded in his performance, Lucious looked disappointed. He is such a jackass!

I loved seeing Becky and Porshia in this episode.

Me too. I hope Cookie lets Porsha rap on one of Hakeem's tracks.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

B is for the brothers getting back together and having Hakeem's back.

I is for the eye that healed instantly.

T is for the talent on this show---even when the scripts wander towards the cliff's edge, I can't keep my eyes off these characters.

C is for Cookie rules, albeit her radar is out of commission when it comes to security/producer/booty call traitor!

H is for Hakeem, WTF? Anika? (Yeah, I get it, almost died, need to feel alive, but what a user. Oh wait, your Father's son.)

Put it all together, it spells I'm not sold that Lucious isn't behind all this.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 5

Wow, Hakeem was kidnapped for a second. I was surprised when he pulled the gun, but knew he wasn't shooting anyone. Cookie, on the other hand... I liked how Cookie and Lucious took out the poor guy who was paid to drive the van. Hakeem going to Anika was a surprise.

I exclaimed aloud 'Wow. In times of emotional stress, Hakeem always bangs a mother figure.  Dang we've got some oedipal thing going on here.'   They haven't forgotten season 1/Camilla and Anika's tie to Hakeem is purely via her formally being his father's fiancée.

And I'm not talking about age difference but Hakeem's tendency to use variations of Mother as sex talk with Camilla.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 7

So true! When Hakeem eventually succeeded in his performance, Lucious looked disappointed. He is such a jackass!

I think that Lucious cannot stand to see his children happy or succeeding without him. He needs to be the center of their worlds or maybe their puppet master. He is the same way with Cookie.

• Love 6

Here for Becky getting dick.
Anika and Cookie need new dick. or each other. because the men they have now are all trash.
Lucious is literal scum he is the worst person ever. I don't think I've hated a TV character more. And as someone made a point to me I think he might still be behind the kidnapping.
There needs to be more Trai booty shots.
Drip Drops acting wasn't as awful as usual.
I was here for Cookie w/ guns. It made me want Taraji to be in that Oceans 11 remake b/c I love her. ALSO THAT BLUE PANTSUIT AND LIP COLOR WAS EVERYTHING. The wig must die and soon.

I don't go into Empire expecting anything but the expectation to be entertained and sometimes confused. And I was, so another successful episode! LOL.

• Love 2

Are we going to have the Lyons not get Hakeem checked out neurologically? There is brain trauma that can be dealt with, but you have to have doctors that know their business doing the work. Cookie might, if it's explained to her, but Lu and his distrust of anyone with any illness outside of a cold seems to rule him out for stepping up to help 'Keem. Unless he can figure an angle. To paraphrase Geico, that's what Lucious Lyon does, figure angles. Like reusing the Boom Boom Boom Boom track with Frieda Gatz. 

I almost forgot I saw William Fitchner's name in the credits, so I was happy when he showed up. I just hope that Jamal doesn't get burned by this new business relationship.  I just couldn't believe  the Staple Center would  not book a relatively hot act like Jamal. He'll put butts in the seats and cash in concessionaires' pockets, which they no doubt get a part. I will be very disappointed if that is based in fact.

Andre? I love your subversive ass. I just hope that Becky doesn't do anything to you or J Poppa. You had better let her have her relationship or she might hurt your churchy self. ( It does feel weird that folks wanting to hurt/get payback on these grown men seem like they are tattling to Momma  or Daddy.)  

Anika, hon, I get the feeling you may not have been told why and how Hakeem ended up at your place. I get taking frustration about your parent(s) with a romp with Hakeem. I believe you when you tell Hakeem you were just concerned, mostly.  Hakeem is so sweet and genuine that you want to protect him, but maybe not? At least tell Cookie what happened. You know it will come out in the absolute worst way if you don't, so take your lumps and Cookie will appreciate how you faced the truth and the consequences.  Eventually.

Show, was I supposed to be clutching my pearls over the last reveal? Too many soaps and cops shows got me listening to Laz.  Especially the bit from  every Previously since he showed up. (Nice outfit, Cookie; I liked the color and it looked really nice on you.)   I just hope that Cookie burns 'em down in her own Cookie way. Cookie has the ear of the (hopefully calmed down by now) Federal prosecutor; when it comes to family and biz, Cookie does not play.

Kudos to Mirage A Trois for keepin' on keepin' on while Hakeem had his moment.  I appreciated that Porsha knew her Motown!  Where was the cutest Intruder Alert, though?

The scenes with the brothers just hit me in the feels. That both Jamal and Andre are united in supporting Hakeem just is the best. They squabble, their parents can be insane, but when they put business aside, they are a force. I love that. Please, Show, keep that.

edited because MSG and Staples Center aren't the same place.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

How did I not hear that William Fichtner of all people, would be showing up?  That was an awesome surprise.  Added bonus is he isn't playing an agent or cop of any kind, since that is the role he usually plays.  Hopefully, he'll be appearing again, since he was only in one scene here.  He's already gets points for being an enemy of Lucious.  Anyone Lucious hates, can't be all that bad!

Also cooling Mo McRae as J. Poppa.  He was recently in the second season of Murder in the First as Suger.  Cool that Becky's got a love interest now; I just hope Andre doesn't screw it up.  Not sure what Andre is trying to do.  He claims it is just business, but I got the feeling he is bring his personal religious views into a lot of his decision-making.  Don't see Lucious letting that slide for long.

In typical Empire fashion, the Hakeem kidnapping cliffhanger is already resolved before the first commercial break, so the rest of the episode is mainly focused on him feeling like he was wimp for not fighting back, and basically lashing out and losing it.  At least it led to that scene with all the brothers, which I enjoy.  I really do think those three are great together, when all the bullshit their parents (mainly Lucious) are causing, quit causing them to be at odds. It did sound like that lead singer of his band was who really got him back into it.  And he slept with Anika again, I guess we're getting a love triangle soon.

I knew those tattoos meant something, and I figured that it was going to end with Adam Rodriquez being a part of them.  Oh, I can not wait to see Cookie's reaction when she finds out about this!

Lucious is going all out for Cannibal Chris Rock's daughter.  Even basically saying he thinks she is more like him then any of his sons.  And, of course, he plays her the song that he actually made for Hakeem, but is just pretending that is was only for her, and isn't because Hakeem saw through his act.  You're such a dick, Lucious. Although, I will admit that the song is catchy.

• Love 1

Tonight's episode was awful. The pacing was all over the place and while I don't tune into Empire for Masterpiece Theater (more like Master P Theater) I still expect at least a little cohesiveness to the story line. 

And mostly I came out of this episode with so many questions. Firstly, why waste a kidnapping story line like that? I mean there was 0 pay off.

Hakeem was kidnapped, inexplicably slept with Anika after he was freed, went through severe PTSD and was cured by the musical stylings of a virginal pop princess in under 15 minutes..... I mean, the only scene I really truly loved was the scene between the brothers and I genuinely wish that one day those three band together to take Lucious completely out and run Empire happily with their mother, Becky and Anika. 

And speaking of Anika, what pray tell IN GOD'S NAME ARE THEY DOING WITH HER THIS SEASON? I thought that we'd get to see a fun but unholy team up between her, Cookie, Hakeem and Andre starting their own record label. Which would've been incredibly entertaining to watch. We got a glimpse of it in the premiere episode but the show quickly switched gears so fast I still have whiplash. 

I need the show to put aside the notion that two smart women such as Cookie and Anika can't work together. They can be in a room with one another without slut shaming each other or criticizing each other's wardrobe. They can put aside the bullshit and work towards defeating a common enemy: LUCIFER HIMSELF. Give me that. Please. I'm dying her. 

Anika is utterly pathetic now. Such a far cry from who she was in the first season. I feel sorry for her and Grace deserves better material to work with. Oh and yes, I am so sure Anika is pregnant with Hakeem's post kidnapping coitus baby. 

Lucifer is definitely looking at Frieda as a replacement child and I fear that she might start to form some confusing feelings for him as a result of all his special attention. It'd still be disturbing but at least Lucifer won't come out looking as predatory as he could be. But seeing as he did threaten to slip this girl his "bone" one day, that's not saying much. His ole nasty ass.... 

Cookie is always a delight. Taraji just commands the screen. I'm not shocked that Laz is shady but it'll be interesting to watch how that will pan out. 

I love that when Jussie and Gabby have scenes together its impossible to tell their beautiful off screen friendship apart from what's on-screen. Jamal and Becky are Jussie and Gabby 100%. 

And lastly may the Empire wardrobe department always put Trai Byer's fine ass in clothes that are 2 sizes too small AMEN. He's a truly gorgeous man. 

And I think I'm done ranting for the night. This episode gets a honking D- from me but I'm in this show for the long haul so I'll of course be back next week. 

• Love 7

Now Lucious has two mentally disturbed sons, how convenient! I bet by the end of the season, when they'll run out of  all the dumb plots they're inventing now, Jamal will also become mental or will have some sort of hallucination. 

Anyway this is another example of a show that can not handle its huge success. I was literally craving for new episodes last season, now it's just a borefest with random guest artists from Timberland's pool. Oh, well...  

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 2
Did I hear Andre utter the famously derogatory word "n*****" in a scene this episode, or was I drunk?

Andre asked J Poppa what the "J" stood for and then reeled off a few examples of words starting with "j," among them "jigga/jigger." (however it might be spelled)

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 3
The scenes with the brothers just hit me in the feels. That both Jamal and Andre are united in supporting Hakeem just is the best. They squabble, their parents can be insane, but when they put business aside, they are a force. I love that. Please, Show, keep that.

YES! Plus, Andre saying "We know we're tough; we survived parenting by Lucious and Cookie Lyon" had me rolling.

And he slept with Anika again, I guess we're getting a love triangle soon.

And don't forget -

Camilla's coming back too!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Are we going to have the Lyons not get Hakeem checked out neurologically? There is brain trauma that can be dealt with, but you have to have doctors that know their business doing the work.

I thought Hakeem had some kind of brain injury because his hearing was fuzzy. I hope they don't pull a Hakeem has a brain bleed on us later this season.

Love, love LOVE Lucious and Cookie teaming up to get Hakeem back. You don't mess with them individually and  you really don't mess with them together.

• Love 2

The episode was okay, but it did feel like they dealt with Hakeem's kidnapping a little too quickly even if we saw him struggle to deal with things afterwards.

I'm actually glad that Lucious wasn't involved in it but yeah, his parenting skills are still not up to much scratch to be honest. Even the scenes with him and Cookie felt a little off this week.

Laz being a baddie was a nice enough twist.

I liked Andre, Jamal and Hakeem united though in this one, 7/10

• Love 1

The sub-label is named GUTTER LIFE -- why on earth is Andre weighing the souls of his roster?

The reveal of the back tattoo on Cookie's new romantic partner reminded me of reveals of the "old" Empire.  I miss that show.

In Hakeem's post-concussive/fugue state he probably forgot to wear a condom.  Wonder if Anika could be pregnant?  Did she sleep with Lucious recently too?  I can't remember - The show moves as break-neck speed.

I hope J. Poppa is a the real deal for Becky and not just using her.

Lucious swore to Cannibal Chris Rock that he was going to "bone" Frieda, so I cringe in their episodes because it will happen.  Lucious is many things, but he is a man of his word.  Barf.

Yazz has never been the strongest actor, but he really stepped up his game tonight.

His skills as an actor have grown so much since the pilot.

• Love 2

Hakeem definitely has mommy issues. Even Cookie called that when she met Camila. That scene with Anika was so weird (props to Grace Gealey for actually looking like she was coming from a workout) that I thought it was a dream sequence. 

I loved Hakeem being like "No strings? Bitch, please" and dropping the flash drive. Also, that track sucked.

My friend called Laz being dirty last week. I didn't, but then when Laz was all "hire the people who kidnapped him!" I was like, well, shit. (I'm still glad Cookie got some; Adam Rodriguez is FINE.)

And speaking of Anika, what pray tell IN GOD'S NAME ARE THEY DOING WITH HER THIS SEASON? I thought that we'd get to see a fun but unholy team up between her, Cookie, Hakeem and Andre starting their own record label. Which would've been incredibly entertaining to watch. We got a glimpse of it in the premiere episode but the show quickly switched gears so fast I still have whiplash. 

I need the show to put aside the notion that two smart women such as Cookie and Anika can't work together. They can be in a room with one another without slut shaming each other or criticizing each other's wardrobe. They can put aside the bullshit and work towards defeating a common enemy: LUCIFER HIMSELF. Give me that. Please. I'm dying her. 

I really need for Anika to have something to do, and I would REALLY like it if it were teaming up with Cookie to take down Lucious, because they could be unstoppable as a book smart/street smart pair. She'd have a ton of connections from her A&R job. I don't want her pregnant with Hakeem's baby because I think it's a waste of the character.

I didn't know William Fichtner was going to be on - I missed his name in the credits. That was a fun surprise! And I cannot be bothered with Jamal's heartbreak over Michael because they haven't bothered to develop Michael or their relationship, so [shrug].

Is it weird to anyone to name a person Job? It seems ... fraught. I did like him with Becky though.

• Love 3
Is it weird to anyone to name a person Job?

One of the best bosses I ever had was named Job. He was a WASP from Connecticut, complete with a Roman numeral after his name (Job Txxxxx III; his license plate was JTIII). He was a high powered litigator in NYC when I worked for him at a very large law firm. Custom made suits and monogrammed shirts (always French cuff) - he was like something out of a movie. Great guy - and his name fit him, I can't imagine him with a different first name!

Yay, for Becky getting some chocolate loving!!! I hope he's not using her to establish his music career--that would totally suck.

I felt so bad for Anika last night, that I'm willing to forgive her for drugging Elle last season. She seems so lost without Empire. Lee Daniels, please make her Cookie/Anika duo happen. That would be epic.

I should've known Cookie's new boo was up to something when he suggested that she hire Hakeem's kidnappers for security...turns out he's one of them. I'm surprise she agreed to it.

William Fichtner? Was he guy who played one of Luscious nemesis last night--and who Jamal hired to help broaden his fan base? Who IS he? I never heard of him.

• Love 1

Jesus, last night's episode was so bad.

1. Hakeem is kidnapped for all of five hours, gets in his feelings over his masculinity (you were raised as a spoiled little prince, of course you can't whoop anyone's ass), and goes to have sex with...Anika??? Who's crying over the Lyons??? 

2. Hakeem is hearing voices and is acting out. I thought for sure that he had a concussion or PTSD from the experience, you know, something believable and understandable -- Nope! Watch this plot get dropped by next week.

3. Anika showing up at the door asking why Hakeem hadn't called her? And getting the door shut in her face! WHO IS THIS WOMAN. WHERE IS BOO BOO KITTY AND HER PEARLS? The fuck is happening with this character?!

4. Andre trying to inject Jesus into Gutter Life. He seems weirdly smug about it.

5. Becky's boo can't rap. Sorry, Becky.

6. That boom boom boom track Luscious had was terrible.

The only upsides were learning that Cookie's new bodyguard isn't who he says he is. Also, her lipstick in the scene with her and Hakeem and the gun. I was swooning.

Finally, Luscious is the damn devil. Even I recoiled seeing his/Terrence Howard's blue smirk during Hakeem's moment on stage. 

• Love 1

My show predictions are never correct, so I was patting myself on the back for predicting last episode that Laz was involved in the kidnapping--and I kept talking to my TV as they were telegraphing it this episode with telling Cookie to put the kidnappers on the payroll, and when they showed the other guys' tattoos, I knew he would have one, too.

But then other things in this show I'm scratching my head like what did I miss?! One second we see Hakeem pull a gun on the kidnappers--cliffhanger!!! And then, huh? We don't see what happened at all and it's not even mentioned?! Or maybe I went to brush my teeth and didn't get back to the TV in time or something. (Shrug)

Yet I agree with the recap that this episode was filled with a lot of warm moments. I really loved the scene with the brothers. No matter what--even when they're in competition--they're there to support each other.

Is Freida really supposed to be a good rapper? Maybe because there are no catchy hooks and she's just "spitting rhymes," I'm not impressed with the musicality. But I'm not the key demographic of rap music, so that's a genuine question. I do think Hakeem is talented and I like his songs. But with Frieda, blah, I don't know whether she's actually good, or she's terrible and Lucious is just trying to make her happen.

So I loved last night's episodes. LOVED it.

I thought the kidnapping was handled too quickly but eh - that's Empire.

Adam Rodriguez and TPH still have an insane amount of chemistry and I am here for it - I don't care if he's bad - dear lordt that man is fine. I already figured he was bad when he showed up last episode before this one - because that's just too convenient. But. I. Don't. CARE. My only gripe is that will limit his time on the show. But wow - he and TPH looked like they were having a blast in that scene when he picked her up.

*fans self*

I actually really liked how the girl rapper (cannot remember her name) flows and she made that Boom Boom Boom Boom song really hit. She's a definite talent.

Andre and his bible hip hop... it's legit - but not for gutter life, imo. I would have preferred them taking a stand on conscientious vs. gangsta rap (with no message - just violence). Like - why couldn't THAT have been his angle? It's just manufactured drama. And as a Christian I like Christian rap - but when it's kind of a mix it muddies the waters.

Cookie's outfits tonight were finally on point.

I felt bad for Annika. I really need them to give her something more to do - running after Hakeem isn't it. At this point I'd rather see her back with Lucious - or at least warring more with him. What happened with her and Beretti? I guess she took all her artists over to Cookie's label and now Cookie won't work with her? I wish Cookie would though... I'd like to see them teamed up. I feel badly for her - even after what she did to old girl last season. And I miss her outfits, lol. She's also gorgeous even without makeup...! I liked seeing her dressed down too. And man I hated her last season, lol. Give her more to do show!

Where is Rhonda?

Having dude whose name I cannot remember was a very happy surprise - he's one of my favorite actors. I think he got his start on As the World Turns, amirite?

Hakeem needs to go in for some neurological tests, unless the show is going more for the PTSD angle. I liked how lead singer girl had his back on stage - but I so don't want to see a triangle with him, here and Annika - Annika is too grown for that - please get her with a grown man please. Although that scene with Hakeem and her was hot.

This ep was so good I wanna watch it again.

Plus Jamal has nearly my exact dining table. Except I used smoked glass on top of those pier one bases.

• Love 1
Are we going to have the Lyons not get Hakeem checked out neurologically? There is brain trauma that can be dealt with, but you have to have doctors that know their business doing the work. Cookie might, if it's explained to her, but Lu and his distrust of anyone with any illness outside of a cold seems to rule him out for stepping up to help 'Keem

At first I thought that traumatic brain injury was what the show was going for since side effects include mood disorders and emotional lability, but toward the end it seemed more like they were just going for psychological response to be kidnapped and feeling helpless.  On one hand that could have been interesting, but on the other hand, I'd rather rather not have to watch Hakeem unravel.  

So I am guessing  Andre Royo's (Thirsty) arc has ended.  I was kind of hoping that he was going to stay on Lucious' staff at Empire Studio.  Hopefully they will keep him on retainer as the Lyon's defense attorney for future use (God knows they will likely need him).  

I love Jussie Smollett voice but Jamal sings waaaay to much this season. I feel like he sang more than he talked and I am getting super bored with him.

Also, I am getting pedophile vibe from Lucious whenever he around that Rapper girl. It probably because she looks soo young and Terrance is soo smarmy. 

• Love 2

I love Jussie Smollett voice but Jamal sings waaaay to much this season. I feel like he sang more than he talked and I am getting super bored with him.  

Not just Jussie.  There is way too much music on this show.  I get it, it is a show set in the music industry, but it is still a drama, and while I wouldn't mind a few bars of music, too much time spent on it steals from the character growth and plot.  I would prefer more story and less music!  

• Love 1

I was so excited for this episode but it fell kinda flat for me. That was a total waste of the kidnapping plot, I thought we'd see the aftermath next week - this was way too rushed. Jamal still has the most dull and predictable storylines - I think he's best with Hakeem and Andre. The final scene with Cookie and Laz was exceedingly predictable, I hope his involvement gets more interesting. He is easy on the eyes though.

I enjoyed this episode and the whole second season so far. I think Empire is the victim of its own ability to create great characters. When I watched this episode, I thought it was amazing that the writers were able to craft anything coherent at all, because they hit so many characters in different scenes. From Becky to Porscha to Anika to the girl group to Laz to Freida to the core characters -- and people are still asking, "Well, were is Tiana...and Thirsty...and Rhonda...and whoopty woo?" In comparison, I watched The Blacklist and the whole episode revolved around three groups of characters (about six people), which is tidy and easy to follow.

Anyway, on another note, I liked Jamal's first song in this episode (especially since it didn't kill us with falsetto), and I always like Terrence playing instruments, so his stint on the piano tickled me. Personally, I was glad the kidnapping plot didn't last too long. Although Hakeem is spoiled and entitled, he's the baby of the bunch, and I can't stomach too much abuse of the youngest cub in the pride. Just ingrained family dynamics, I guess. Plus, Hakeem has grown on me. Spoiled as he is, has has a soft heart. He was so quick to forgive Andre that stunt he pulled on Jamal at the studio.

• Love 3

Cookies wardrobe was great!  I didn't much care for the blue pantsuit, but that black pant/white top outfit was amazing!

And go on getting some from Adam Rodriguez!  I was super jealous!

Agree with everyone who says Anika needs something to do.  I get the impression that she is going to end up becoming an enemy and go scorched earth on everyone.  You can only beat someone down for so long.  Hakeem ought to send her a fruit basket or something as a thank you.  She was the first person you went to after you got kidnapped and she didn't even ask any questions.  Maybe she isn't g/f material, but she is at least friend material....geez.  

I was hoping for a Cookie/Anika team up, but I don't think the show is going to let that happen :(

Andre = ridiculous.  You barely got back into Empire.  Your first assignment in charge is a rap label called Gutter Life.  And the first big move you want to make is to make sure everyone on your label is right with god?  I wonder if Becky gave J-Poppy the heads up that this was coming so he could have a story prepared.  And his plan to get rid of Frieda was so weak.  You really think Lucius is going to be okay with getting rid of an artist on a gangsta rap label for just kicking someone int the face?

By the way, I don't much care for Frieda.  Wait until Lucius hears that she may not be straight....

I did think it was funny that Lucius seemed confused as to why Jamal didn't want to be called a gay artist.  For years Lucius wanted Jamal to be called anything but a gay artist.

Not just Jussie.  There is way too much music on this show.  I get it, it is a show set in the music industry, but it is still a drama, and while I wouldn't mind a few bars of music, too much time spent on it steals from the character growth and plot.  I would prefer more story and less music!  

I'm starting to agree with you....one song/episode would suit me fine.  When Jamal was starting to do his song AGAIN, I was like "oh please let something else happen now" thank goodness Cookie burst in.

• Love 1

My verdict: good episode. As expected re Hakeem's kidnapping, Lucius & Cookie handled their business in their own way, which naturally included guns & designer shoes, both of which involved Cookie, proving that for all her mistakes with her kids, when one's in danger, Cookie lives up to her former last name. Lucius had some good moments with Jamal at Jamal's recording session and even agreed with Cookie that Jamal should have stayed away from the ransom drop & even helped Jamal with his love life by making him put his feelings into his work and warning him not to trust the David Geffen-esque ex music mogul who wants to handle Jamal's music career, among other things, I'm guessing. That he's played by William Fichner is promising and the character's contempt for Lucius is a plus. Hopefully, the writers will give both actor and character the kind of writing that they deserve.

However, while Lucius made some progress with Jamal, he suffered major setbacks with Andre & Hakeem, both professionally & personally. Andre's attempts to move Gutter Life in a more positive direction, starting with J. Poppa, Becky's boyfriend-whom I hope isn't just using her-backfired big-time, as Lucius told him in no uncertain terms. Lucius doesn't want Andre to actually run Gutter Life, he just wants Andre to follow orders. In other words, Andre's not a boss, he's just Lucius' bitch, as usual. As for Lucius' treatment of Hakeem, his attempt to "help" him by giving him a song with "no strings attached" was met with understandable skepticism. When it comes to Lucius' so-called "generosity," there's no such thing as "no strings attached." There's always a catch. Always. Lucius' so-called "peace offerings" usually do much more harm than good in the long run. Case in point: Lucius' giving the song to Frieda Gatz instead, in an effort to ease whatever passes for his conscience for having her father killed. Lucius may treat Frieda like the child she never had, but she's not his daughter; Lola is.  Instead of wasting time & money on Frieda Lucius should at least try to invest in Lola-who, unlike Frieda, I actually give a shit about.

Re Hakeem, he's definitely got some serious PTSD because of the kidnapping, whether it was his outbursts, his booty call with Anika, his pulling a gun at his & Cookie's meeting with his former captors or his freezing onstage, which he quickly overcame because of Laura, who seems like a sweet girl. Hopefully, Laura's the real thing & not this show's version of Silver St. Cloud, the teenage girl on Gotham who seems innocent, but is just as evil as her uncle & aunt. I don't feel the least bit sorry for Anika. After fucking up Elle Woods' sobriety last season, Anika's getting dumped by Lucius, Cookie & now Hakeem is karma, as far as I'm concerned.  

About Laz, I knew it! I knew he couldn't be trusted and I was right. Laz may be hot, but his involvement with Hakeem's kidnapping alone proves just how wrong he is for Cookie, whose involvement with him makes her look like the one thing she's not-stupid.  Laz's suggestion that Cookie hire the same thugs who abducted Hakeem  in the first place should have been reason enough for Cookie not to trust him, but unfortunately, Cookie's hormones trumped her judgment. Cookie's lust for Laz not only makes her look bad, it puts her, Hakeem and anyone else she loves in more danger and could end up making Lucius look good, which could be the unkindest cut of all.  

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

I am seriously loving Hakeem and Laura, they are so cute. This surprises me, because I love Hakeem with Tiana. I thought the kidnapping will last longer, but I still love the episode. Money in the bank is going to be stuck in my head, I love the song, Yazz and the girl playing Laura are so talented and have great chemistry, don't mess it up writers. I'm sorry, I'm not just feeling, Jussie's songs this season, and his story lines are so boring. Get him back together with Hakeem and Andre, I enjoy it when they have scenes together.

• Love 1

I can't believe this show is missing out on having Cookie and Annika team up to *try* to take down Lucious. You know they probably wouldn't be forever successful, but they would make an incredible team and I want Annika to either have something REAL to do or to leave the show. I know she drugged Elle last year, which was reprehensible and unforgiveable, but if they're going to keep her on the show, stop just making her an occasional joke or punching bag for the main cast.

Jamal needs to stop with the constant singing. Also, he's done with Michael, now, right? I need to him to find someone who's not just a hanger on.

What the fuck is Dre thinking?? Did he honestly think he was in charge at Gutter Life? He barely crawled back into the company and only did THAT because he killed Vernon, so he needs to stop judging other people's characters, at least for a little bit. Stop making him be something he wouldn't really be, with all his smarts, show. He would know exactly how to play all this and be strategic about it. TPTB act like he's damaged goods forever because he's bipolar. He's back on meds, FFS. The writers need to learn it's illegal to discriminate against the mentally ill, even the imaginary ones, and start treating Andre with a little respect.

Gonna go out on a long limb here and say I cannot stand the Freda Gatz character. I guess the whole thing is leading up to Lucious trying to have sex with her since he promised her now dead cannibal daddy he was going to do that?? She adds nothing to the show and I'll be glad when she's gone. Bring back Tiana for some occasional sightings.

Also, more Becky and Porsha is always a good thing. God help me, I love Porsha and I want Cookie to grow to love her, too. I think she does, but she treats her like a begging hobo most of the time. Porsha is not without fault, but she's so enjoyable as a character.

Finally, I knew Cookie's new man had to be trouble. And dear gods, can't she just ever have sex with someone without having to have a story to go with it? "Make me forget everything that happened this week"... blerg. Just get your freak on, Cookie! You deserve it.

I've often wondered if the excessive music and endless cameo appearances were deliberate.  It makes it so easy for the writers to actually not have to do the work of delving deep into the characters, formulating long-term cohesive stories (you know, like a SOAP OPERA is typically supposed to do), and making sure there's resolution and pay off to the stories.  I'm still wondering to this day why they introduced Olivia and Lucious' daughter Lola (though it was initially assumed that Lola was Jamal's kid) just to have them both gone in a couple of episodes.  Why did they appear in the first place?  It wasn't for Jamal's money like most of the audience assumed it would be.

Edited by Syndicate